Why are conservatives happier than liberals?

posted at 10:02 pm on July 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

I’m more interested in your feedback on this than I am in giving my opinion, but my gut feeling is that the touchstone of happiness is purposefulness. At first blush, I can’t reconcile my instinct that lifestyle, not politics per se, is more important with Brooks’s data that extreme ideologues on both sides are happier than squishy moderates. If lifestyle is the main component — e.g., married and religious people tend to be happier than singles and agnostics — then we’d expect moderates to be happier than liberals, fewer of whom have those lifestyle traits. But that’s not what the numbers show: 48 percent of happy people are “extremely conservative,” 35 percent are “extremely liberals,” and only 26 percent are “moderate.” Brooks spitballs:

Political moderates must be happier than extremists, it always seemed to me. After all, extremists actually advertise their misery with strident bumper stickers that say things like, “If you’re not outraged, you’re not paying attention!”

But it turns out that’s wrong….

What explains this odd pattern? One possibility is that extremists have the whole world figured out, and sorted into good guys and bad guys. They have the security of knowing what’s wrong, and whom to fight. They are the happy warriors.

Whatever the explanation, the implications are striking. The Occupy Wall Street protesters may have looked like a miserable mess. In truth, they were probably happier than the moderates making fun of them from the offices above. And none, it seems, are happier than the Tea Partiers, many of whom cling to guns and faith with great tenacity. Which some moderately liberal readers of this newspaper might find quite depressing.

The common thread between happy lifestyle choices and happy ideological choices is, I think, the sense of purpose. You have it if you have a spouse and children to care for; you have it if you believe God has a special role for you in the world; and you have it if you’re deeply committed to a political platform that you think will save the country. (Doesn’t mean you can’t be happy without those things, of course, but per the data, fewer people are.) Along the same lines, and as silly as it sounds, it wouldn’t surprise me to learn that people who follow a sports team devotedly are also happier than average, simply because of the extra little shot of purpose that the team’s drive for a championship gives them vicariously. E.g., I’ve been watching the Pirates since day one this year, from the time they were a scrub team that hadn’t been .500 in 19 years to first place in the NL Central at the break and number five in the ESPN power rankings. And dude, I am telling you: Atheist though I am, if they go all the way and win the Series this year, I will see the face of God. Purpose — it’s a wonderful thing, even when it’s really, really trivial and dumb.

But as I say, I’m more interested in feedback. Why are conservatives happier than liberals?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Happiness takes effort ?

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

My expectations coincide with reality ?

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I’m by nature happy ?

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I work hard and don’t take much time off for sadness ?

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:07 PM

I am successful for having attempted the difficult and challenging things in life ?

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM

So bitter clingers are in reality happier than the tolerant graspers. Who’d a thunk it?

HumpBot Salvation on July 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I am an adrenaline junkie .

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I know that my Redeemer lives and the end of the story is in His hands………

crosshugger on July 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

i’m happy because I refuse to be a victim or a pity case?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I’m happier doing (and buying) things for myself and not having to rely on somebody else to do (or pay for) them for me. That might be part of it.

Moose Drool on July 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

I don’t think it’s so much that Conservatives are all deliriously happy as it is that most Liberals are decidedly unhappy. At its heart Conservatism is based on a solid belief that given the opportunity and freedom to do so, most people will choose to succeed and act in ways most likely to lead to their well-being. Liberalism is rooted in the certainty that most people are incapable of making decisions in their best interests and must rely on someone (or something) outside themselves to ‘take care’ of them. Optimism vs. pessimism at its most basic.

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

HumpBot Salvation on July 9, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Dang it HumpBot, I was going for the short answer there. / Or was it a short story?

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

When the Cubs finally win the World Series, you’ll see a lot of former atheists begin to believe.

I say that as a Giants fan who waited his entire life.

aunursa on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I won’t be happy until there are no more liberals, but hey, I’m happy for the rest of you.

Buddahpundit on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Well, except for us Cleveland sports fans. Championships? What are those?

Good Solid B-Plus on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Liberals want to change things from how they are. They always look for problems to solve, but their solutions are not based in reality. See: Socialism. They look to ideals, utopias, a new world wholly imagined. Nobody has to work, or everyone has a job they love writing poetry or whateverthefu,,,dge.

This world can not be realized so they’re pissed. They project the failure on conservatives.

Dash on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Because we’re not liberals.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

We have women like Tina Korbe, Erika Johnsen, Katie Pavlich, Lila Rose, Jedidiah Bila, Dane Loesch, and Amelia Hamilton on our side and they have Joy Behar and Maureen Dowd.

Mike Rathbone on July 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Every day is a better day! No victimhood – just being alive makes me happy!

usedtobeinmich on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Happiness is that state of consciousness which proceeds from the achievement of one’s values.

– Ayn Rand

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Because being a Conservative is a response while being a Liberal is a reaction.

A conservative is responding to the Natural order of things, (designed by a benevolent Creator, AP) while a Liberal is discontented with the natural order of things and thinks he knows better how they should be reworked.
The natural order actually offends them. Their drive is angst.

Cleombrotus on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

For me it’s because I know that no matter what, it all works out fine in the end.. :)

HotAirian on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Evolution by nature, Simply put I know I can take care of myself and my family whatever life throws at me(hunting,gathering, skilled work, unskilled work whatever it takes).We pass these virtues onto our children as they were passed onto us by our parents. I dont wait around and depend on others to take care of me, or that anyone should provide my needs for me. When I have enough to take care of myself -I can contribute to taking care of others. It gives me a sense of self and accomplishment. That is what makes me happy. Just my 2 cents worth.

canditaylor68 on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

because we know the value of a dollar, the sense of accomplishment of a job well done, and the importance of family and the security of community. Also we know one doesn’t need to be a snide, sanctimonious jerk to be happy.

deimos on July 9, 2012 at 10:14 PM

All I know is I sure am happy!

:D

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Because we don’t have unreasonable expectations from the world.

AbaddonsReign on July 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Dash on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Exactly! Conservative tend to see the world exactly the way it is and work within it. Liberals live in this utopiaville where people will never live because people are well people..

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Because liberals get the Dixie Chicks and conservatives get Skynyrd.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I’m happy because I live in the rules of nature. Libera..er big-gov leftists are unhappy because they deny the rules of nature.

Example;
I think 1+1=2
They think 1+1 should = POTATO even though they do know it =2.

That kind of mental turmoil is bound to make you unhappy, depressed, sad, and lead to full blown mental illness.

jukin3 on July 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Happiness is a choice.

carpeliberty on July 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I know that my Redeemer lives and the end of the story is in His hands………

crosshugger on July 9, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Sitting at the foot of The Cross with you…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Heh! What happens if Tebow and them Jets wind up in the playoffs later this year, Allah??? You goin’ to seminary?

ted c on July 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I am self reliant

The Notorious G.O.P on July 9, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Would you want to be Michelle Obama, Debbie Wassserman-Schulz, Nancy Pelosi, Joy Behar, to name just 4 witches?

Would you want to be Barack Obama, the wizzard of oz, the ‘open book’?

See Michael Moore, Ed Schultz, Charles Blow, Krugman…

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

most hard core libz i know are miserable. chip on their shoulders. frankly they’re just plain toxic.

sbvft contributor on July 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Because conservatives hunt and fish, liberals shake a rubbery lump of tofu from a plastic container.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Factor in “defining things you don’t like they way you like” as a contributor to your happiness. Which goes back to:

lester on July 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

i’m happy because I refuse to be a victim or a pity case?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 10:10 PM

That’s my answer too

Sekhmet on July 9, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I don’t worry. I be happy.

predator on July 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

He said it best, “And blessed is he who takes no offense at me” Matt. 11:6

Cleombrotus on July 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

How can any conservative be happy right now?

The rule of law is meaningless.

All of the institutions that made this country great have been corrupted and are controlled by the left.

The economy is in shambles and about to fall off of a cliff.

The GOP is worthless, we have no loyal opposition to the Democrats, just socialist-lite.

We have a president who is succeeding at overturning all of the prosperity Reagan created.

How can any conservative be happy here?

JB-STLMO on July 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

That pic of President Reagan is calming and reassuring…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Could any sane person, who worships this, be happy?

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Because we believe in individual freedom. Our desire to do or not do something doesn’t extend to everyone else having to do or not do it. Liberals, by contrast, will hand wring and lose sleep over others doing or not doing what they’ve decided is right. Now, after that bit philosophy, all liberals can go fluke themselves.

msupertas on July 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Why are conservatives happier than liberals?

What I have found is that conservatives don’t really hate anything. They reason thier way through things.

whbates on July 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

….or maybe it’s just the cats:

In our Winter 2006 survey, we found that Conservatives were more likely to own dogs and Liberals were more likely to own cats. We also found that the Very Conservative males had the highest preference for dogs over cats, and the Very Liberal females had the highest preference for cats over dogs. Is this an idle coincidence, or is this another difference in how Conservatives and Liberals think?

Compared with uninfected people of the same sex, infected men were more likely to wear rumpled old clothes; infected women tended to be more meticulously attired, many showing up for the study in expensive, designer-brand clothing. Infected men tended to have fewer friends, while infected women tended to have more. And when it came to downing the mystery fluid, reports Flegr, “the infected males were much more hesitant than uninfected men. They wanted to know why they had to do it. Would it harm them?” In contrast, the infected women were the most trusting of all subjects. “They just did what they were told,” he says.

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Conservatives are more likely to be content with the status quo, even if there are things they’d prefer to have changed (in their local community, in national politics, whatever). While conservatives can and do advocate for causes they support, the individual’s goal is largely to live as safely/happily/prosperously as possible within whatever social environment they find themselves. See, for example, the tea partiers, who go to the occasional protest on a Saturday morning, advocate for causes they support, and then return to business as usual in time for dinner.

Liberals are less likely to be content with things that they consider to be flaws in society. The individual’s goal is to “make a difference,” or “be the change we wish to see in the world,” or whatever their new favorite cliche is. And when they’re incapable of bending society to their will, they get upset. See, for example, the OWS crowd, basing their entire lives on protests that ultimately disappoint them.

Relating this to AP’s assessment, of a sense of purpose being the determining factor, you could look at it in terms of a difference in how successfully cons and libs achieve their “purpose.” Conservatives would consider themselves to be fairly successful in life if they have a decent job, a decent standard of living, and perhaps a family. Even if a liberal has all of these things, their *real* purpose is to change/control the world around them, and an inability to do so leaves them feeling as if they failed in their purpose.

Mr. Prodigy on July 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Conservatives Are Happy Like Pirates.

1)They take risks for profit.

2) They hate authority.

3) They like cool weapons.

4) Taxes are evil to them.

5) They would play their hearts out against the Hanoi Jane/Ted Turner 1990s Atlanta Braves.

IlikedAUH2O on July 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Conservative’s hero is Ronald Reagan. He inspired. Liberals’s hero is Obama. He went from “yes we can” to it’s Bush’s fault.” It’s hard to be happy when all you have is other peoples supposed failure.

ThorFather on July 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

So what does this say about our very own Eeyore rooting for the Jets?

Patrick S on July 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Because of anecdotes like these, true or not.

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

How can any conservative be happy here?

JB-STLMO on July 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Eternal optimism. I caught it from Reagan.

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

We conservatives take responsibility of our lives and work to make ourselves happy. Liberals want others to do the hard work in order to be happy.

We also know that life isn’t easy or always fair.

RedRobin145 on July 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

happiness is a byproduct of a lifetime of right and proper choices, IMO.

ted c on July 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I wouldn’t put too much credence in this study.

Conservatives like it because it’s flattering. Liberals will probably discount it.

There are plenty of studies that liberals love that reflect negatively on conservatives. Conservatives think those studies are suspect — and many of them are.

Conservative Politics, ‘Low-Effort’ Thinking Linked In New Study

Study Shows Conservatives’ Trust in Science Hits All-Time Low
By

Study shows Conservatives are not Rocket Scientists

Most of the reporting on the soft and hard sciences suck.

hepcat on July 9, 2012 at 10:23 PM

I think the guy on The Five played for the Pittsburgh Pirates. No, no, not the “Washington Whale”, the conservative guy.

IlikedAUH2O on July 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Let me try to sum it up…

… If I want to cook a steak and wash it down with some vintage but you don’t want to, it’s no skin off my back and I go about my happy day.

Liberals will spend the rest of eternity trying to outlaw meat and bring back prohibition to try to control my behvior…

Me = Happy

Liberals = Not so much

Seven Percent Solution on July 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Mike Rathbone

To go off-topic a bit, but I had to respond:

I hate to see when our side makes this “argument” — not because it’s sexist or whatever (I don’t care), but because it opens up a huge can of very lovely worms.

If we we are to count sexy/attractive celebrities on either side of the political spectrum, always keep in mind that the vast majority of Hollywood starlets — most of whom are famous solely as a result of their looks — Obama-loving liberals.

Thus, the Left could come back with the unanswerable retort: I’ll see your Tina Korbe and Dana Loesch, and raise you

Natalie Portman
Kate Winslet
Rachel Weiss
Cameron Diaz
Jennifer Aniston
Kirsten Dunst
…etc. etc. etc. ad infinitum

Who in reply? Not many. Jessica Simpson, Carrie Prejean? Slim pickins.

If we’re going to make “gotcha” arguments like that, at least do so from a position of strength, not with a comparatively weak bench.

Zombie on July 9, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Easy…..

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I can.
And the wisdom to know the difference.

No worries, I have the peace that only Jesus can give.

Jvette on July 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Because envy and self pity are not on the menu?

Hog Wild on July 9, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Cause we know we’re right! It’s obvious.

SMACKRUNNER on July 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

My expectations coincide with reality?
Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

This, more than any other sentiment. I believe conservatives are closer to the ideal of adulthood; whereas, liberals are nothing more than prissy little boobs, reveling in their boobery.

Tennman on July 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Conservatives mind their own business.

Not thinking about making others lives miserable as your own is a big part of it.

Robert Jensen on July 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Worship, work and family leave little time for victimhood.

We have better things to do in life besides whine for the government to pay for our existence and make our decisions for us. We’re not the entitlement culture.

Philly on July 9, 2012 at 10:27 PM

How can any conservative be happy here?

JB-STLMO on July 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Because even as they crossed over to Trenton to take on a highly professional force of paid killers, the ragtag remainder of Washington’s little army still knew they could win.

If you feel like quitting, there’s the door.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

I used to be a liberal. Those liberals that said they were happy don’t know how much happier they could be. When I turned to conservatism, everything changed (cue one liner from Tron). I was no longer angry. I had a new focus on life. I knew that if I wanted things to get better, I had to do the work. I couldn’t just wait. Back when I was a liberal, it was a constant circle jerk. To be a liberal, you must constantly be frustrated that you’re unable to change anything for the better. Even if you could, it would A) suck, and B) move on to something else to be angry about.

A lot of people ask how can you be happy with conservative principles being spit on lately. Well, no matter how bad it gets, conservatives can rebuild anything without waiting for someone to tell them what to do. Liberals can’t.

MrX on July 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

We are happy because we know we live in the greatest country ever. We are happy to help those less fortunate than ourselves, we are happy to take care of our families and generally understand that we are where we are because of our own effort or lack thereof, so we don’t blame others for our own situation. This all leads to a happy disposition.

Liberals are unhappy because they see America as hopelessly flawed and they can’t convince a majority of people to agree with them. They grudgingly help the less fortunate but really believe this is “society’s” responsibility. They are selfish and only care for their families when it doesn’t get in the way of their own lifestyle. If they fail, they believe “society” is to blame and should help them. This all leads to an unhappy disposition. When you think everything needs fixing and you can’t get others to fix it all, you get a little grumpy.

rockmom on July 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Producers and adults versus looters/moochers, the latter in kindergarten, at best

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Mike Rathbone on July 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Another good explanation ;)

Which brings us to our follow-up question: why do conservative women tend to be more attractive than liberal women? I feel like there’s a cause and an effect here… but which is which?

Mr. Prodigy on July 9, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Hot Gas should by now have supplanted Disneyland as “Happiest Place On Earth”!

Heh.

:P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

I know there are going to be A LOT of UNhappy liberals come this November. I would suggest in investing in the biggest pharma company that deals in anti-depressants. They will be selling a lot I’m sure.

The other thing about liberals is that they are in denial of reality, so those that seem to be happy are really just in denial. Logical really.

Ronaldusmax on July 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Cleombrotus on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Cleombrotus on July 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

That’s a terrific, succinct summary that hits the bulls-eye.

INC on July 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Happy is…

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Because being happy is to not be taxed for it..
Until now…..

Electrongod on July 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Liberals are too full of hate to be happy.

jaime on July 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Conservatives believe they are in control of their own destiny. Liberals feel as if they must depend more upon others to make life good for them.

At the end of the day, you really have little to no control over what others will do. Ergo, fear and insecurity are your companions.

Life is not necessarily a bowl of cherries for conservatives. Yet, conservatives think that, one way or another, they can improve it when it needs improving. Liberals sit around – and – wait.

pbundy on July 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

If you feel like quitting, there’s the door.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Yep
Yep
Yep
And
Yep.

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Liberals are too full of hate to be happy.

jaime on July 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

Isn’t nice not having room in your heart for hate? I know it makes me happy. ; )

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Team 0bama has just now demanded that Congress pass his new happiness tax…ah penalty…er tax…no penalty.

jukin3 on July 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Liberals are unhappy because they live in crisis.

Planetary crisis.

Racial crisis.

Economic inequality crisis.

Crisis, crisis, crisis.

They continually concoct a series of crises in their minds. That is what makes them miserable. Also, they are prone to be envious, spiteful people who blame all of their circumstances on others and the “system.” They can’t be happy because they do not understand acceptance.

blatantblue on July 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Read Candide, by Voltaire.

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2012 at 10:37 PM

What do you mean, Google and SpaceX technology aren’t based on ‘reality’?

It’s unbelievable that you could say something so stupid. Or perhaps you need to rationalize a severe shortcoming into a strength. While conservatives while about the government and their tax rates, progressives are building the next generation of great technologies and companies, from Google to Microsoft to SpaceX.
You could say that the Apple ‘Think Different’ ad would never apply to a conservative.

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM

A succinct description of the conservative mindset. If only the guvmint would get out of his way and lower his taxes, Joe the Plumber would start a plumbing empire!

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I’m very happy right now. I think it’s the St. Louis style ribs w/ Mac n Cheese.

But I could be wrong.

predator on July 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

IlikedAUH2O on July 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

That was very disappointing.

jaime on July 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

How can any conservative be happy right now?

The rule of law is meaningless.

The economy is in shambles and about to fall off of a cliff.

How can any conservative be happy here?

JB-STLMO on July 9, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I recommend that you follow our Founders’ advice…

In CONGRESS,
SATURDAY, March 16, 1776.

IN times of impending calamity and distress; when the Liberties of America are imminently endangered by the secret machinations and open assaults of an insidious and vindictive Administration, it becomes the indispensible duty of these hitherto free and happy Colonies, with true penitence of heart, and the most reverent devotion, publickly to acknowledge the over ruling providence of God; to confess and deplore our offences against him; and to supplicate his interposition for averting the threatened danger, and prospering our strenuous efforts in the cause of Freedom, Virtue and Posterity.

The Congress therefore, … do earnestly recommend

It worked for them. You might want to try it, too.

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 10:41 PM

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Liar, you’s not learning.

Schadenfreude on July 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I’m so happy, I’m dancing!

predator on July 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Decent theory, AP. I know some who view TV shows with a certain sense of purpose, a reason to get out of bed and be excited that it’s Tuesday (or whenever). The extremists have that in spades, even when losing, because that’s when the fight is most important.

Plus, I’d imagine there’s a heightened sense of belonging that one wouldn’t find as a moderate. The “no labels” types are usually pathetic in part because few can bond over getting along to get along.

Esthier on July 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

pbundy on July 9, 2012 at 10:32 PM

I’m waiting… as in waiting for concrete examples. And by the way, voting for a Tea Party candidate doesn’t count for taking action to improve things.

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Because conservatives accept people as they are and make the best out of it, while liberals can’t deal with fundamental human behavior and want to change it. They’re stuck between a reality they hate and an ideal they can’t achieve, and so are perpetually unhappy.

Socratease on July 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I have found that happiness is a byproduct of my choices. When I was younger, I thought it was fun to drink hard, chase women, and generally be an irresponsible PITA. I did what I wanted, when I wanted–I did what I thought would make me happy. The problem was that I was wrong–I was miserable, living life for the moment, wasting my life.

Once I got my act together, started following God, found a great wife, had children and put off my childish ways, I’ve found that I am a lot happier. Now, are there days when I’d love to be single, going off boating, jacking around, chasing girls again—sure, but then I remember that it was a miserable existence, despite the short-lived fun times.

Happiness is the result of choices–the right ones. I am glad that I emerged from my youth 1)alive 2)unaddicted 3) without STDs and 4) without too many life altering scars. I regret the lost years of productivity that I missed out on because of my bone head choices.

TWO CENT !

ted c on July 9, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Sure is!

jaime on July 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

…Conservatives make love!…Liberals mate!

KOOLAID2 on July 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

whbates on July 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Sounds like Rush alright. Not an ounce of anger in that man- a soul filled with hope and love for his fellow man.

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Has Allah been reading the Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren?

terryannonline on July 9, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Because we aren’t victims.

And we’re not bitter like bayam.

gwelf on July 9, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Mike Rathbone on July 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

You forgot libs Janeane Garofalo and Randi Rhodes. Shudder.

Philly on July 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

What do you mean, Google and SpaceX technology aren’t based on ‘reality’?

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM

No, those are all CAPITALISTIC companies, capice? They are private businesses using innovation to advance techonology; a conservative principle if there ever was one. What isn’t based in “reality’ is when government takes over a capitalistic society and does what individual and business were meant to do. Someone has to pay for that.. Government isn’t self-sustaining especially if the majority of it’s people are dependent. So yes liberals desire for free stuff is built into utopia and doesn’t work, because government are made and paid for by people. People who will have no incentives if all their essentials are given to them for free.

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

whbates on July 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM
bayam on July 9, 2012 at 10:48 PM

What is it with you and Rush and Beck? Living rent free in your brain. The way you rant and hop from one thing to the next makes you sound insecure.

gwelf on July 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM