Video: The obligatory “Jonathan Krohn now more or less a liberal” clip

posted at 8:24 pm on July 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

I can’t believe anyone’s grumbling at this kid for switching sides. He’s 17. His political path will take some turns on the way to adulthood; most people’s paths do. We had some fun with his big splash at CPAC but it was clear enough that he was doing shtick, albeit shtick at an especially precocious level. I’ll bet that, at 13, he thought he knew everything; now 17, he probably thinks he knew nothing then but knows a lot more today. How do you think he’ll feel at 21? I’d give even odds that in five years he’ll be a libertarian looking to intern for Reason.

Anyway. The obvious lesson here: We must start vetting our 13-year-old pundits more closely, my friends.

My star role worked out well for a while. I didn’t have to question any of the talking points I’d made in my speech, and I got to drone on and on about them at numerous Tea Parties and other conservative gatherings. I felt justified in my beliefs if for no other reason than no one actually told me I was wrong. Instead, men like Bill Bennett and Newt Gingrich hailed me as the voice for my generation and a hope for America…

I was tired of being a part of the ideological warfare this country is so caught up in. I was tired of the right using me as an example of how young people “get” what they’re talking about — when it’s obvious that I didn’t get what I talking about at all. I mean, come on, I was between 13 and 14 when I was regurgitating these talking points! What does a kid who has never paid a tax bring to the table in a conversation about the burden of taxes? What does a healthy child know about people who can’t afford healthcare because of preexisting conditions? No matter how intelligent a person might be, certain political issues require life experience; they’re much more complicated than the black and white frames imposed by partisan America. (And no, my mother and father didn’t write my material for me. You’d have to be as paranoid as the birthers to think someone’s parents would put them up to all that. Have a bit more faith in the human race, man!) I was just a 13-year-old kid spitting up the nonsense he’d learned. In the future, a good rule of thumb might be: If you’re not old enough to have consensual sex, you’re probably not old enough to make consequential political statements.

B-b-b-but … he was the chosen one. Exit question: If he writes a piece for NRO when he’s 21 insisting that, no, in hindsight, he had everything right when he was 13 after all, he’ll be forgiven for this, right? C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Spawn’s mind is sometimes so ‘open’ that you could fly the Space Shuttle through it.
*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

We had some fun with his big splash at CPAC

I’ve never been enthralled with all the big-splashing that is CPAC. It’s what I call the Carnival of the Middle, doesn’t represent “conservative” much to any at all, more like a game show than anything else.

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

And this kid made a splashy performance, right, but there was something obviously too rehearsed about him to be taken seriously, at least by me.

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

The kid got educated and realized life isn’t as binary as the uneducated conservative makes it seem.

Majority of them are white male high school drop outs who earn less than $30k a year. They have been brainwashed to think if they can just work so hard and be hopeful, they too will become millionaires like their crony bosses.

God help us all.

Uppereastside on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

The generalizations in your posts–and then you use a phrase like “life isn’t binary.” The irony escapes you doesn’t it?

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

Who cares. Never even heard of the kid but I guess he thinks we’ve all idolized him or something. Must think he was Ronald Reagan.
Whatever.

JellyToast on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Heres a reference point for all the people talking about how they never thought this guy was all that much even when he was a conservative, the original thread about him back in 2009. On the first page alone I saw a couple instances of “Next Reagan” and “Run for President in 25 years.”

vegconservative on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

See? Americans aren’t quite as dumb as we think we are…. :D

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Yes they are.

If you let someone drive your car and they wrap it around a telephone pole, then coming to the conclusion that it wasn’t wise to lend your car doesn’t make you a genius.

They voted for the guy and may well do so again.

sharrukin on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

canopfor on July 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM

He’s 17 years old, he’s looks like he’s got a serious nerd vibe going on. Add to that trying to hit on teenage girls with a “rep” for speaking at CPAC, it’s just too cruel….Wait till he’s in serious debt, when he’s done with college, and has his student loans to pay back, he’ll come back around SNARK.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

*sigh*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

annoyinglittletwerp:Yup,I hear ya,wisdom will come!:)

canopfor on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

He reminds me of Charles Johnson and Andrew Sullivan, self righteous morons who switched sides and went even more barking moonbat than barking moonbats.

William Teach on July 9, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Ditto. But I give him a tad more room to come to his senses due to the fact that he’s 17. I today have no explanation for much of what I concluded at that age…

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Self-loathing Jew. Revolution.
*Just for you my friend.*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I was also a self-loathing Jew. Now I loathe most Jews because of their misguided politics and their screwing up the Old Testament.

And we just got pounded with rain here in N.B.

NOMOBO on July 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

I think you’ve got something there. I’ve never been very happy with CPAC, either.

thatsafactjack on July 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

vegconservative on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Granted, but SOME OF US were never fooled like that.

Those sort of Dreamy-Perfect-People laud comment streams happen here with regularity. Doesn’t mean the participants in such make sense, just that they make a lot of laudatory comments about…well…they still need a Pied Piper.

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:13 PM

canopfor on July 9, 2012 at 8:59 PM

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 8:57 PM

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 PM

Dr Evil on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Dr Evil:Well,hes really done a ‘transformation’,in just a short
time,you may be right,oh crap,I just caught your (snark)
hehe!:)

canopfor on July 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Uppereastside on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 9:09 PM

What a fool.

CW on July 9, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:08 PM

thatsafactjack on July 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Be prepared to be “attacked” by certain media-hungry and public-relations dependent groups…unfortunately.

I’d like nothing more than to see the hyperbole surrounding the recent CPAC evens be more realistic and less “Personality Driven”.

And that the event actually represent a correlation to “conservative” instead of “loud”.

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

It’s easy to like youth and ignore inexperience when someone is charismatic enough. The difference is, though, that Republicans don’t go and make the guy President.

calbear on July 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

the recent CPAC evens

should be:

“the recent CPAC EVENTS…”

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

I can’t believe anyone’s grumbling at this kid for switching sides. He’s 17.

I don’t care that he switched, but I am bored by him thinking it is noteworthy. It’s not. He’s just a kid.

Blake on July 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

NOMOBO on July 9, 2012 at 9:12 PM

Lubbock will be near drought-stage again if we don’t get hit soon. *early June was good *

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

vegconservative on July 9, 2012 at 9:10 PM

vegconservative:Without looking,I think I said,

Future of the GOP,the Conservative Youth of the GOP!

But then,I was fooled!

canopfor on July 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I didn’t watch him then and I’m not watching him now. I really don’t care. Just the way I think about Megan McCain.

TulsAmerican on July 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Uppereastside on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Oh, is that why Romney and the RNC raised $106M last quarter, from all those $30K high school drop outs? You should send your Boy King your $3850 right away, he needs help and you’re wealthy, right?

NOMOBO on July 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Thanks for that link. From the NYT profile:

With some skepticism, they gave him a spot on a Friday panel of grassroots activists. But Jonathan, an experienced child actor, rocked the house with a three-minute speech, which was remarkable not so much for what he said, but his electrifying delivery.

Yeah, he worked it with a little help from Mom–

and Marla, a sales representative and former actress who teaches drama and speech to middle-school students,

That whole NYT profile is disturbing. It’s like this kid was a caricature of a “Conservative” and now he’s flipped and doing the Liberal caricature.

Wouldn’t it be fun to have Ben Shapiro interview him?

conservative pilgrim on July 9, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Lourdes on July 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Thanks for the warning. I also concur with your assessment of the content at CPAC.

thatsafactjack on July 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Uppereastside on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Says the representative of the mindset that health care, college, and internet should be “free”, and that the world will leave us alone if we dismantle our nuclear weapons.

You have zero place to talk about idealism, dips**t.

MadisonConservative on July 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

You forgot to add the “LOL” after the “Told you” that would make it clear that you aren’t glowering at the screen in righteous anger.

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 9:06 PM

I feel no real passion about this, other than disappointment that conservatives fell for the little schmuck last time around.

MadisonConservative on July 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

God help us all.

Uppereastside on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

Show us a link to this ridiculous statement or GTFO of here.

As for Krohn, I listened to 30 seconds of that CPAC speech and turned it off. The boy sounded rehearsed and phony to me.

Garym on July 9, 2012 at 9:23 PM

TulsAmerican on July 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I recall his burst on the Republican scene three years ago and was annoyed. He’s a product of our culture, i.e., “shiny new objects,” and working it to his advantage and bank account. Didn’t care then and not caring now.

conservative pilgrim on July 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

Going out on a limb here but, methinks the liberal media will regret their “celebration” of this kid after he publishes his book next year.

titus_pullo on July 9, 2012 at 9:24 PM

There is little doubt this young man has been subjected to stress liberals can put on you. Hell, if John Roberts couldn’t deal with it, how do you expect a young man like this to do the same.

He had his head on straight and I suspect, after a period of time, his head will go on straight again. I doubt he’ll do for liberals what he did for conservatives, only because you will now always question his motives. When you make the statements he did, and sound like you’ve really thought this out and have come to a valid conclusion, then you change your mind, there’s something going on.

I like the kid and wish him good luck. If he thinks he had a hard time being a conservative, wait until he spends his time trying to defend the indefensible.

bflat879 on July 9, 2012 at 9:25 PM

Blake on July 9, 2012 at 9:16 PM

Bingo. Although it is funny in its own perverse way. I never paid this kid much attention 3 years ago because, well, he’s a kid! Children should be seen and not heard in the world of public policy discussions. I have a very dim view of children being used as props no matter who is doing the using. But seeing this child act like a child and people taking it seriously is still humorous. Not AP kind of funny though. I figured his “heartache” snark would be just too predictable so I skipped over it and went straight into the comments.

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:26 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 9:17 PM

Good luck. Hill Country has been doing OK this year. We’ve been getting the 30min. deluges for the last month and a half and the Aquifer is staying manageable. Still, Stage 2 restrictions.

NOMOBO on July 9, 2012 at 9:27 PM

For such a smart, self important bunch, you folks are awfully blind to reason. A snowball has much better chance of a long prosperous life in hell than this kid of getting into a college of any national acclaim while being a conservative star. He just realized that in the world of “progressive” academia, his ideology will have to take a back seat to his career.

Archivarix on July 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I got a splinter in my finger a while ago.
I took a pair of tweezers and tried to get it out but then the phone rang and…
Oops, sorry..I thought this was Facebook.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Dude just wants to get flucked.

txag92 on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Uppereastside on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 PM

You have zero place to talk about idealism, dips**t.

MadisonConservative on July 9, 2012 at 9:21 PM

It’s inappropriate to label all conservatives as undereducated and lower middle class. And I think you meant to say college, not high school, drop outs.

To say that liberals believe healthcare and college should be free is just as unfair. There’s a difference between requiring health insurance and making it free.

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

TulsAmerican on July 9, 2012 at 9:19 PM

That’s it! He’s totally making a play for Megan. She’s pretty cute, plus she can score pot.

EricW on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Gee, a dude that looks like Rachel Maddow..went full libtard? That’s a shocker.

Poor fella…unless he finds some confused liberals lesbians in college..he’s still not getting laid.

HumpBot Salvation on July 9, 2012 at 9:32 PM

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Psst. You picked the wrong site if you’re looking for easy, liberal skanks.

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Archivarix on July 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

Maybe. Conservatives such as Ben Shapiro and Laura Ingraham went to Ivy League schools and came out Conservative and stronger.

conservative pilgrim on July 9, 2012 at 9:34 PM

Dude just wants to get flucked.

txag92 on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

He’s asking for it. Rush needs to call this guy a sex craved man-slut and shame to his family. That would be so funny, such clever humor!
Or as Woody Allen would say, his mental illness has ended.

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

That kid is creepy, he looks like some kind of doll.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Or as Woody Allen would say, his mental illness has ended.

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Or Rush could just call him a typical teenage boy.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I can’t believe anyone’s grumbling at this kid for switching sides.

I’m more grumbling about the attention it’s getting – not just now, but before as well.

He’s a freaking kid. Kids are demonstrably stupid.

Red Cloud on July 9, 2012 at 9:39 PM

MadisonConservative on July 9, 2012 at 9:22 PM

:) I know, I know. I just always picture you glowering for some reason!

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

He changed his worldview to fit his sexual desires.

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Lets say you’re right, how is this a bad thing?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

There’s a difference between requiring health insurance and making it free.

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

So why does your side do it all the time?

JeffWeimer on July 9, 2012 at 9:41 PM

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 9:36 PM

Dr Evil on July 9, 2012 at 9:38 PM

Is that Fluke’s problem? She never stopped being a teenage boy?

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

:) I know, I know. I just always picture you glowering for some reason!

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Madcon and Primordial seem to crack the fewest smiles around here. Though even between them there’s a huge gulf between Madcon’s grumpiness and the abyss of dispair that is Primordial.

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

He changed his worldview to fit his sexual desires.

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Lets say you’re right, how is this a bad thing?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

I will leave it to something with more time and patience than me to explain the whole ‘principles’ thing to you.

sharrukin on July 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Awww. I was just teasing MadCon. He has an awesome sense of humor. POP I don’t know that well, but he (?) does seem a little intense.

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Lets say you’re right, how is this a bad thing?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

We are creatures of our sexual desires and nothing more?

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

sharrukin on July 9, 2012 at 9:43 PM

You and your silly ole Judeo-Christian ethics hang-up…

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Lets say you’re right, how is this a bad thing?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

You really are as stupid as you seem to be.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Really? Even in regards to birth control?

Please.

You’re dumber than you appear.

CW on July 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

A teen that writes a good play, composes an opera, or invents something useful is worth talking about, but a teen that does nothing but spew talking points is a waste of news time. It is a shame that the media has given this guy any time at all.

McDuck on July 9, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Lets say you’re right, how is this a bad thing?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

We knew already what you are made of but for those that weren’t sure now they know. Scum.

CW on July 9, 2012 at 9:50 PM

We are creatures of our sexual desires and nothing more?

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Of course not. If every single decision Krohn or anyone else made was ruled by sexual desire that would be wrong. In fact, there’s a word for that its called sex addiction. But social conservatives seem to suggest that *any* decision rooted in a desire to fulfill a sexual urge is wrong and outside of an adherence to biblical dogam there’s no real world reason to reject any and all decision motivated by sex.

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Archivarix on July 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

So he should come out against what he formerly believed just so he can get into a top rate university? Pretty poor reasoning if you ask me and it’s not so. He could get into any number of good schools, despite having been a vocal advocate of the right.

rickv404 on July 9, 2012 at 9:54 PM

foolishness.

ah well. Reason number 5239 why we should listen to children when it comes to adult issues.

ted c on July 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Yeah…no. Conservatives, like myself, don’t hate or oppose sex. We just know there are consequences to our actions. That is what you and most leftists fail to grasp. Instead you tell yourself ridiculous stereotypical BS about how you believe conservatives think.

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Libfree, this is silly. Someone who changes his political views just to get laid (which is what they were suggesting) is indeed a pathetic person. Changing your views as a result of experiencing sexual activity is another matter and is not what anyone was talking about.

McDuck on July 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

He changed his worldview to fit his sexual desires.

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM
Lets say you’re right, how is this a bad thing?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Somehow I knew you wouldn’t think that is a bad thing, but sexual desire is a fleeting and superficial thing. To revolve your values around your sexual desires is idiotic at best, and disasterous at worst.

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM

You and your silly ole Judeo-Christian ethics hang-up…

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 9:45 PM

I like my ethical hang-ups even if they annoyed by niece when she was growing up. Now she has a little girl and is starting to understand more of it.

sharrukin on July 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

This is, I believe, the third post about this snot-nosed little kid, and you were not in any way, shape or form obligated to create it. Shame on you.

Jaibones on July 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

BTW, I am not saying I agree with those who are suggesting such motivations. I am simply saying that their assessment of his character would be correct if those in fact were his motivations.

McDuck on July 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

LOL- Shh let libfreeorbeanidiot think we are all prudes. Just because we think a little responsibility and committment should go hand and hand with sexual activity doesn’t mean we don’t have active full sex lives much less sexual desires.

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

sharrukin on July 9, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Awfully funny how that happens, isn’t it? So now you’re UncleGrandad? ;)

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

He changed his worldview to fit his sexual desires.

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Lets say you’re right, how is this a bad thing?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

When he was 13, he was thinking with the big head.

At 17, he’s thinking with the little head.

Give him six to twelve years, and he’ll likely return to thinking with the big head again.

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Now, I’m just another white, comic-book collecting, sci-fi watching, film-obsessing, satirizing, sorta stereotypical Jewish nerd who’s never been laid. And no, that’s not the reason I switched, either. Nor did I switch so that I could fit in at NYU in the fall. If you think that’s the case, you obviously don’t know how this stuff works. See, when someone posts a video on YouTube it’s out there in the global consciousness forever. How do you suppose I’ll fit in anywhere, much less in a school environment, with a clip of my nasal rantings about conservatism’s four “pillars” floating around the Web? Do you seriously think such an easily lambasted clip will disappear because I announced I changed my mind? Have you met the users of the Internet?

Why write an article to draw attention to yourself if you want to be left alone and keep your anonymity at NYU?

My guess is that you want to kiss up to your liberal NYU Professors who would be the only one’s that would probably know who you were.

RedRobin145 on July 9, 2012 at 10:04 PM

I think I speak for almost all Americans when I say…who?

fitzfong on July 9, 2012 at 10:05 PM

So now you’re UncleGrandad? ;)

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

Yeah. She’s three as of a week ago, and I am her main supplier for chocolate and ice cream.

sharrukin on July 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Late to the party and haven’t read the comments but we shouldn’t have 13 year old pundits.

Cindy Munford on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 10:02 PM

The incredibly insular and obtuse world that liberals inhabit certainly is something to behold. Although I don’t recall being this ignorant of other people when I was a liberal. Maybe I just repressed those embarrassing memories.

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I couldn’t watch his videos when he was a “conservative”. He was too much like a mini version of the Baby Jesus better known as Sean Hannity. I think the kid’s parents owe Sean royalties.

MechanicalBill on July 9, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I’m sure the same who hate him now but loved him then feel that way, but he’s is basically making the biggest argument against himself right now, which is that he’s too young young to know what he’s talking about right now.

Esthier on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 PM

McDuck on July 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Here we agree, but I wonder how many on this board would agree. Actually, scratch that. I can imagine that many would agree that a negative sexual experience might change a person’s political ideology, but I doubt many believe a positive sexual experience could. And that’s sad.

I guess the idea that I challenge is the “just to” part of that sentence. Why is fulfilling a sexual desire a “just to” kind of a thing, why isn’t it understood as noble a pursuit as any other goal as long as it is pursued with integrity and honesty. When hypothetical Krohn (because we don’t really know why) found that his sexual desires no longer jived with the political ideology he was taught it caused him to reconsider. But you seem to be arguing that there’s something more important about the political ideology winning in that contest…why? Why isn’t sexual desire enough to change how we view the world?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Me neither and I was even a raving liberal feminist in my younger days. I am thankful everyday I was mugged by reality..

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Why isn’t sexual desire enough to change how we view the world?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Or a spaghetti dinner? /

sharrukin on July 9, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Former D-bag, now an A-hole. Seriously?

SMACKRUNNER on July 9, 2012 at 10:22 PM

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Actually, I didn’t. I merely repeated the premise of everyone’s comment, if switching political ideologies because of sexual desire is evidence of some kind of moral failing, then clearly there’s something about sexual desire that makes it an illegit reason to change political desire. I queried what that something is without making assumptions.

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Happiness comes with contentment. When you aren’t constantly seeking more, or envious of the people around you, happiness is easy to obtain. The liberal movement has been a voice of unfairness, mainly rich versus poor. It’s based in an idealistic point of view, but not based in reality. When someone is told over and over again how someone has it better than them, you tend to believe it and become envious, and once again, losing your contentment. It’s a circle of lies that always ends at the beginning of the circle……..

I’m content, I’m glad when others do well, and saddened when others do not, but for me, I’m fully responsible and understand its not someone else’s responsibility to take care of me.

jeridhill on July 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM

sharrukin on July 9, 2012 at 10:06 PM

….and houses. :D You’re a sweetheart.

cynccook on July 9, 2012 at 10:33 PM

libfree, I think we are interpreting the same comments very differently. I didn’t think they were implying a change in worldview to get over the moral issue of having sex, but instead a change (perhaps subconcious)to get easier access to college chicks. Basically, a twist on wanting to fit in.

McDuck on July 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

That’s just it though, lib. They’re suggesting that his change in ideology was not principled but rather done for sexual gratification, i.e., that he’s specifically being dishonest.

Seems like your answer is contained in your question. You don’t seem to actually disagree with them. You seem to be disagreeing with an argument they’re not making.

Esthier on July 9, 2012 at 10:35 PM

The liberal movement has been a voice of unfairness, mainly rich versus poor.

Wrong. Progressivism is built on the notion that society functions only though mutual obligation and collective labor. The problem with the West was that some people put more labor into the maintenance of society than they received whether it be racial minorities who were denied citizenship rights despite their labor, women who were denied a variety of citizenshpi rights despite their labor, sexual minorities, ethnic/religious minorities the list goes on and on. Progressivism argues that while certain work is worth more than others, that no work is worthless. Plain and simple. Its not about ‘fairness’ its about recognition of humanity.

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

McDuck on July 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Peer pressure, and his mamma’s helicoptering, didn’t do anything to prepare him. He’s a good mimic though, he’ll pick up the lib lingo. He doesn’t strike me as being very good at improv so he’s got to choose a side.

Dr Evil on July 9, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I can’t speak for others but something tells me I will when I ask:

WHO!?!!?!?!?!?!?!?

ImageSniper on July 9, 2012 at 10:47 PM

McDuck on July 9, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I get it and i get that there’s a fine line between struggling between your politics and your desires and straight up lying in order to get another person in bed. There is no circumstance where lying to get laid is a good thing.

But consider, the lengths people go to in order to secure a job. Buying a suit, the right accessories, watch, briefcase etc. Folks will go so far as to buy a nicer car to “project success.” All of these strategies force people to perform and enact a certain set of standards in order to persuade someone else to get them paid. Why are these acts of conformity not considered “whoring oneself” to capitalists in order to get a gig? My current gig is temporary and this fall I’m going on the market for a tenure track position and I’m going to go through all those hoops and jumps at the interview stage at various places. The goal, quite frankly, is a seduction that looks a lot like the things folks do on their way to get laid. One is OK and one isn’t, why?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

More feckless gossipmongering, this time about a stupid twerp. Where’s the REAL political news?

rayra on July 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Then why do so many “progressives” cheer when a greater number of people have become dependent on the government because they are not able to support themselves through their own labor? If it’s about collective labor, why support such a progressive tax system that ensures that nearly half of the population contributes nothing while some at the top are nearly funding it all?

It’s always been so ironic. Liberals rail against the wealthy while attempting to fund entire governments off their backs. If everyone really did say that “at some point [I've] had enough,” and agreed that it’s somewhere south of $1 million, there’d be no way we’d be able to support the government primarily through taxing the top 10%. We’d all have to chip in a little more, including those who are currently paying nothing to the federal government.

If anything, you’d think the liberals would want just a few insanely rich people making a lot of money and handing a large portion of it over. It’s easy to get the population on your side when it’s just a few “greedy” rich people instead of a larger, more robust middle class, and it’s easy to get the fat cats on your side when you promise to protect them from competition by making it harder for the start ups to compete.

Must be making that last part up. Surely their economic policies that have created one of the worst recoveries were well-intentioned. If that helps.

Esthier on July 9, 2012 at 11:00 PM

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM

No progressivism argues that ALL work is the same. It says that if you give the minimal amount of work you should get the same as John who works his tail off. Guess what? Incentive to works stops.. Why should John work his tail off when he can be rewarded the same for the minimum amount of work?

melle1228 on July 9, 2012 at 11:12 PM

One is OK and one isn’t, why?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Because there’s a difference between acting professional for a job and pretending to be something that you’re not. It’s generally understood that it’s not polite to drop f-bombs at work, and refraining from doing so isn’t selling out. It’s merely polite. Obviously there’s a line somewhere, and it can be subjective, but that’s for you to decide. But I would argue that most of us have some form of uniform to wear to work, even if it’s just conforming to a dress code, so I don’t see changing outside appearances as your biggest argument.

Esthier on July 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM

rayra on July 9, 2012 at 10:55 PM

Twerp?
*glares*

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 11:54 PM

Lets say you’re right, how is this a bad thing?

libfreeordie on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Because it damages the country when people support wrongheaded views just to get laid or for any other shallow reason. That and it betrays an alarming lack of personal integrity.

But I give this kid enough credit to think he’s being sincere.

NukeRidingCowboy on July 9, 2012 at 11:55 PM

F*** the little bastard.

DrZin on July 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM

When he sees how much the government is robbing him of at gunpoint, he’ll switch right back.

Dunedainn on July 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM