Video: The obligatory “Jonathan Krohn now more or less a liberal” clip

posted at 8:24 pm on July 9, 2012 by Allahpundit

I can’t believe anyone’s grumbling at this kid for switching sides. He’s 17. His political path will take some turns on the way to adulthood; most people’s paths do. We had some fun with his big splash at CPAC but it was clear enough that he was doing shtick, albeit shtick at an especially precocious level. I’ll bet that, at 13, he thought he knew everything; now 17, he probably thinks he knew nothing then but knows a lot more today. How do you think he’ll feel at 21? I’d give even odds that in five years he’ll be a libertarian looking to intern for Reason.

Anyway. The obvious lesson here: We must start vetting our 13-year-old pundits more closely, my friends.

My star role worked out well for a while. I didn’t have to question any of the talking points I’d made in my speech, and I got to drone on and on about them at numerous Tea Parties and other conservative gatherings. I felt justified in my beliefs if for no other reason than no one actually told me I was wrong. Instead, men like Bill Bennett and Newt Gingrich hailed me as the voice for my generation and a hope for America…

I was tired of being a part of the ideological warfare this country is so caught up in. I was tired of the right using me as an example of how young people “get” what they’re talking about — when it’s obvious that I didn’t get what I talking about at all. I mean, come on, I was between 13 and 14 when I was regurgitating these talking points! What does a kid who has never paid a tax bring to the table in a conversation about the burden of taxes? What does a healthy child know about people who can’t afford healthcare because of preexisting conditions? No matter how intelligent a person might be, certain political issues require life experience; they’re much more complicated than the black and white frames imposed by partisan America. (And no, my mother and father didn’t write my material for me. You’d have to be as paranoid as the birthers to think someone’s parents would put them up to all that. Have a bit more faith in the human race, man!) I was just a 13-year-old kid spitting up the nonsense he’d learned. In the future, a good rule of thumb might be: If you’re not old enough to have consensual sex, you’re probably not old enough to make consequential political statements.

B-b-b-but … he was the chosen one. Exit question: If he writes a piece for NRO when he’s 21 insisting that, no, in hindsight, he had everything right when he was 13 after all, he’ll be forgiven for this, right? C’mon.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

F*** the little bastard.

DrZin on July 9, 2012 at 11:56 PM

That really isn’t necessary. C’mon.

NukeRidingCowboy on July 9, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Honestly I had never heard of this kid until today. Aside from that, his story isn’t unusual. Look at all the children of the fifties who were fans of Lesve it to Beaver, who later became the counter-culture hippies of the sixties.

When I was 13 I was a clean cut conservative kid. When I was 17 I was a bohemian jerk.

Give him a chance to grow out of it.

Reggie1971 on July 10, 2012 at 12:07 AM

If he changes again will we notice?… no.. most of us ignored his cute as a button routine then too. He’s a prop, once for the right, willingly, and now for the left willingly and his opinion is less worthy than anyone who’s raised a family or carried a rifle for this country,.. he’s nothing more than a foot note, like us..

The left will laud him like he’s a born again shining star, till they get tired of patting his head, and giving him skittles, then he’ll get disgruntled with the left and kick them in the face as he did us..

He acts as if the principles he delivered are a joke, childlike, something he finds oh so stupid compared to his new enlightenment..

until, they stop feeding his ego as well.

Move on kid,.. lighten up, nobody forced you to give that CPAC speech,.. and as pointless as you think they are, those principles do mean something to millions of us.. so go run to kos and get a cookie, and a skanky lefty gal pal… when you pay for your first car, buy your own insurance and have to balance bills.. the lefts rants won’t seem as fun then..

live awhile.. them come back in a decade, we’ll see.

mark81150 on July 10, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Life experience.

17 year old.

Right.

Wolfmoon on July 10, 2012 at 12:30 AM

This kid was 5 when 9/11 happened. This kid is jerk, he has no excuse to be flopping about, doesn’t strike me as a political prodigy, moreso a toastmasters prodigy. How you can like Bush in 2008 and like Obama in 2012 is beside me. It is kind of like picking the most overripe apples out of the bunch, he is the anti swing vote, but not in a good way. He is just as spineless as the swing voter but he seems to get sucked in the vacuum of the territory that everybody is running from.

My only political deficiency was caused by 9/11, at least I snapped out of it (unlike many on this site) when I figured out that warrantless wiretapping and the Patriot Act weren’t kosher when Clinton tried to enact them after OKC, and they weren’t kosher when Bush successfully took the handoff from Clinton and pushed these monstrosities over the goal line. If the economy really hits the skids due to hyperinflation you all will really see the bed you made for us all.

LevStrauss on July 10, 2012 at 12:34 AM

To sum up the kids “conversion”: Sluts are all liberal, thus I change my views? Oh, OK. Will we see him now in media demanding condoms as well?

riddick on July 10, 2012 at 1:17 AM

IMO, this is all ‘payback’ of a sort for Jonathan being shoehorned into being a kid-sized sock puppet for the right in his earlier years. Children of preachers and missionaries can go into similar kinds of backlash when they get older.

MelonCollie on July 10, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I thought it was stupid when he was taken seriously at the time and I still think it’s stupid.

Why does anyone care what this kid thinks about anything? Is he more coherent then his largely incoherent peers? Sure. But the guy also practiced.

When he’s 18 he’ll still be full of crap. Talk to us again when you’re about 30. By then people have mostly calmed down and found their spot.

Karmashock on July 10, 2012 at 5:48 AM

I can’t believe anyone’s grumbling at this kid for switching sides

I can’t believe HA keeps linking to him as if it’s an important story.

;-)

Good Lt on July 10, 2012 at 7:35 AM

When I was 13 I thought girls were “icky”…that has since changed. The kid is 17 and on his way to a liberal college in NYC…he needs to say this or else he’ll get abused. Let’s see what he says when he starts making some real money.

runner2300 on July 10, 2012 at 8:39 AM

That’s cute coming form a kid who cannot vote or drink legally. He feels all grown up now.

magicbeans on July 10, 2012 at 8:40 AM

He’s the Alan Specter of the 12th grade.

magicbeans on July 10, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I graduated from High School in 1971 at the age of 17. Joined the Army because I did not have the means, or attention span, to go to college. My mother was more than willing to sign those parental consent enlistment papers. With the Vietnam War still going on, let me tell you – High School never prepared me for what waited for me in the real world.

At he age of 21, I then went to college on the GI Bill. I was sitting in class rooms with kids ages 18-20 years old. They knew nothing and ate up whatever the liberal professors fed them. Needless to say, these liberal professors and I had many a “debate” about what was actually taking place outside those classroom walls. At the time, I felt like I was about 40 years old from the things I saw and did during my tour.

Cherokee on July 10, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Was what happened to Jonathan Krohn similar to that of David Brock? Was Brock only 13 when he was a conservative?

Then of course there was Arianna Huffington.

Dasher on July 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Then of course there was Arianna Huffington.

Dasher on July 10, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Opportunism. That would probably explain much of it. I don’t believe Brock or Huffington were ever really right-wing. Krohn was probably influenced by his parents. A Marjoe Gortner of politics.

rickv404 on July 10, 2012 at 9:12 AM

Not even close to being “obligatory.” Just saying…

cicerone on July 10, 2012 at 9:33 AM

Thought it was dumb to use a 13 year old as the posterboy in the first place. And it’s equally dumb to care what a 17 year old thinks.

moonbat monitor on July 10, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Clearly Krohn’s fallen in love with Julia, and hopes that he can join her in her utopian life of beig cared for by Big Brother.

Freelancer on July 10, 2012 at 10:43 AM

blink on July 9, 2012 at 10:57 PM

LOL! Whew…..always good to be consistent.

Cindy Munford on July 10, 2012 at 10:44 AM

A 13 year-old that was clearly rehashing talking points, and who had no life experiences to draw from – was selected as a speaker at CPAC. Seriously – what were the organizers thinking?

I thought he was pretentious and trying then – and my opinion hasn’t changed at all.

Frankly, I think he’s getting way too much attention. Teens go thru all sorts of phases. Shocker.

Hill60 on July 10, 2012 at 11:16 AM

First of all, who gives a rat’s ass what this little punk’s political leanings are? Second, he probably just realized he is a faggot and therefore, a Leftist!

Jersey Dan on July 10, 2012 at 7:23 PM