Texas Gov. Rick Perry: ObamaCare will “find no foothold here”

posted at 3:21 pm on July 9, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

On Monday, Texas Governor Rick Perry sent a rather pointed letter to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius, explaining why his state will not be taking measures to prepare for the implementation of ObamaCare (specifically, with Medicaid expansion and a state insurance exchange). Burrrrrrrn:

In the ObamaCare plan, the federal government sought to force the states to expand their Medicaid programs by – in the words of the Supreme Court – putting a gun to their heads. Now that the “gun to the head” has been removed, please relay this message to the President: I oppose both the expansion of Medicaid as provided in the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act and the creation of a so-called “state” insurance exchange, because both represent brazen intrusions into the sovereignty of our state.

I stand proudly with the growing chorus of governors who reject the PPACA power grab. Thank God and our nation’s founders that we have the right to do so.

Neither a”state” exchange nor the expansion of Medicaid under the Orwellian-named PPACA would result in better “patient protection” or in more “affordable care.” What they would do is make Texas a mere appendage of the federal government when it comes to health care.

Although his erstwhile presidential bid was somewhat ill-fated, Gov. Perry has few rivals in the straight-shootin’ ability to guilelessly tell it like it is — and doing so like a boss, to boot. The governor appeared on Fox News this morning to explain his reasoning, and I think he’s got it completely right on what’s really going on here:

“If anyone had any doubt, we wanted to put it clearly to bed that Texas wasn’t going to be a part of expanding socializing of our medicine,” he said in an exclusive interview with Fox News. “We’re not going to participate in any exchanges, we’re not going to expand Medicaid – we’re just not going to be a part of, again, socializing healthcare in the state of Texas.” …

“Medicaid is a failed a program. To expand this program is not unlike adding a thousand people to the Titanic. You’re going to further drive this country into debt,” Perry said. “You don’t expand a program that is not working already.” …

“If the federal government is serious about working with the states and finding solutions to the healthcare needs, what they would do is block grant those dollars back to the states,” he said. “I can assure you that Texas and other states would find more effective, efficient ways to deliver healthcare to their citizens and do it in a way that preserves those individuals freedom.”

“I’m always intrigued with the concept that there’s free money out there, and that we can pour more money into a program that has already failed, and somehow or other we’re going to have a different result than what we had the first time,” he added. …

“If the private insurance sector wants to set up these types of ability to trade across lines and what have you – I think they ought to have the ability to do that,” he said. “But not this one-size-fits-all, federally-mandated, Washington-centric concept that the Obama administration, through Obamacare, is trying to force upon us.”

So. Much. Truth. The federal government reserves the right to swoop in and set up these programs themselves if Texas and fellow rebel states follow through on their promise to not act, but I’m still keeping my fingers crossed, hoping darn thing repealed before it comes to that. Gulp.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I am planning on moving to Texas in the next nine months because of this. I am sick of Washington State. I am sick of having the one insert himself into what he thinks is best for me. I am an adult, have made my own money, have made more jobs in one day than this sycophant has in four years. My cousin in California is moving his operation to Texas as well. I look forward to finding a place and helping make people wealthy as well. I I I I I (trying to catch up with the one in saying “I”) I I I I… how many more? Can’t keep up. Anyway, shopping for boots now. See y’all in a few months.

Molonlabe2004 on July 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I love my state of Texas. We already have tons of folks tripping over themselves to get here that the highways are filled with out-of-state plates. We welcome y’all with one caveat, don’t bring your blue-state politics here.
neyney on July 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Ditto. You’re welcome here, but check your left wing liberal tendencies at the state line. I live outside Houston but work in the city and you wouldn’t believe the number of out of state plates I see on the freeway. And we’re not talking Lousiana and Oklahoma. From literally everywhere, except Hawaii.

I think Perry just redeemed himself and sewed up the 2014 election should he choose to run.

TxAnn56 on July 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM

I’m so glad I live in Texas. I’m a transplant, but “Don’t Mess with Texas” is what we really believe here.

toby11 on July 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Got here as soon as we could, ourselves !
28 years, now, and can remember our collective sighs as we crossed the TX/LA border from …… DETROIT !! (area)
Thank you, Texas !!!

pambi on July 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Molonlabe2004 on July 9, 2012 at 7:10 PM

Y’all c’mon down ASAP, y’hear ?? :-)

pambi on July 9, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Well Done Governor Perry…I guess you’re gearing up for the next legislative session.

Really glad I live in Texas.

Gig Em’ Rick

workingclass artist on July 9, 2012 at 7:23 PM

toby11 on July 9, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Got here as soon as we could, ourselves !
Thank you, Texas !!!

pambi on July 9, 2012 at 7:17 PM
Illinois is so in the gutter. I keep saying to the Husband that we left ILL-ANNOYZ just in time.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Texas is better cuz you moved here, alt !! :-)

pambi on July 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Texas is better cuz you moved here, alt !! :-)

pambi on July 9, 2012 at 7:32 PM
Why, what a nice thing to say.
Thanks!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

neyney on July 9, 2012 at 3:44 PM

TxAnn56 on July 9, 2012 at 7:16 PM

On average 1500 move to Texas a day since 2009.

Texans would prefer that new arrivals understand that we just want to be Texas.

workingclass artist on July 9, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Although his erstwhile presidential bid was somewhat ill-fated, Gov. Perry has few rivals in the straight-shootin’ ability to guilelessly tell it like it is — and doing so like a boss, to boot… posted at 3:21 pm on July 9, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Governor Perry is an Aggie (Volumes of Aggie jokes down here) But Aggies always retort with their riddle…

Q: What do you call an Aggie after he/she graduates from Texas A&M?

A: Boss

workingclass artist on July 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 7:34 PM

You’re mostest welcome.
We Texans are just like that. :-)

pambi on July 9, 2012 at 8:07 PM

I grew up in SoCal and after college found myself stationed in Texas for naval flight training. In the course of two years I fell in love with the people and the mindset of liberty. I currently live in the panhandle of Florida and love it as well, but Texas is definitely on the list of places I will choose settle down.

You couldn’t pay me to move back to that f’in insane asylum known as southern California. My conservative mother is at the breaking point in SoCal as well.

Meat Fighter on July 9, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Loved my three years living in TX. Some 25 years later, it still feels like I’m home every time I enter the state. But a warning to Texans: keep those liberal Austinians and the liberal transplants from CA from taking over your state! We have a vote here in MD, but it won’t really count for Prez since in the electoral college vote, all MD votes will go to Obama! Makes me long for TX days.

Christian Conservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:19 PM

Hey! We came from a blue state-Illinois-and we’re solid conservatives.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 9, 2012 at 5:05 PM

You, young lady, are the kind of new Texans we like to mint around here. Welcome!

stvnscott on July 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Q: What do you call an Aggie after he/she graduates from Texas A&M?

A: Boss

workingclass artist on July 9, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Only to their face, remember that part.

john1schn on July 9, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Governor Perry was my fist choice for the republican candidate for president last year, there is a geat interview with him, parts are on National Review, the entire 45+ minutes can be seen at Uncommon Knowledge at the Hoover Institute. I watched all of it, Governor Perry admits his mistakes in that campaign, the back surgery less than six weeks earlier did not help him at those debates.

carolt2 on July 10, 2012 at 8:28 AM

If the Obama regime can pick and choose which laws it will enforce and which it will ignore, then I don’t see any good reason why Perry & Texans should pay any attention to Obamacare.

bitsy on July 10, 2012 at 9:35 AM

There is an old axiom, that every once in a while even a blind pig will find a truffle. In this case the pig did. Perry is an embarrasment. One of the reasons why I left the Republican Party. His brand of conservatism is entirely too much of the good ol’ boy politics that has ruled this state for over 100 years (both parties). I’m proud to be a Texan, I’m proud that Perry has taken the stand that he has, but let’s not get overly excited about Perry.

georgeofthedesert on July 10, 2012 at 5:51 PM