Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on July 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Most of us recall the 2008 election, when Barack Obama busted the limits of fundraising and spending — and became the first presidential candidate since Watergate to opt out of the public system. He raised over $770 million and swamped out Republican nominee John McCain, hitting a record for fundraising in a single month in September 2008 with $150 million.

Well, most of us remember that pretty well.  Obama, on the other hand, whined about being outspent in both the 2004 Senate race and the 2008 presidential contest:

“I got outspent when I ran [the] first time for Senate,” he claimed as he was ending his heated campaign-trail speech in Maumee, Ohio.

Obama was misleading.

The Federal Election Committee’s website shows that Obama’s campaign claimed $14,807,432 in donations by December 2004.

In contrast, his opponent, Alan Keyes, had only $2,545,325, according to the FEC.

That’s a six-fold advantage for Obama, not a deficit.

And the Daily Caller also corrected Obama’s claim about 2008:

In a second speech June 5, Obama compounded his misleading claim by declaring that he was outspent in the 2008 presidential race.

“The thing that I want everybody here to understand – each of you personally — is that back in 2008, everybody said we couldn’t do it because we were outspent,” he said during a 4.12 p.m. speech in Sandusky, Ohio.

Obama did not correct the claim, although he immediately revised it, by adding that “we weren’t favored.”

During the 2008 race, Obama raised $779 million. His GOP rival, Sen. John McCain, raised less than half as much, or $347 million.

In the Democratic primary, Obama raised $237 million, while his rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton, raised $229 million.

At some point, most of us think that a man who raised that much cash has done enough whining.

Comments

He is also shamelessly fundraising while sticking taxpayers with his expenses, jet setting off to fundraiser after fundraiser then, for one example, spending 5 minutes at Ground Zero so the trip can be charged as “official”.

That has got to stop.

wildcat72 on July 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM

whiner in chief

cmsinaz on July 9, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Pathologic. Liar.

DanMan on July 9, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Thoughts of so-called fairness rules to be implemented are frightening.

TimBuk3 on July 9, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Awesome. The GOP should use something like that as a campaign slogan. “Vote Romney. Because at some point the President has done enough whining.”

crazy_legs on July 9, 2012 at 8:12 AM

Nope. He’s a free-flowing source of whine.

Flora Duh on July 9, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Speak of the Devil Whiner.

@toddstarnes Hear ye, hear ye. His Royal “Highness” – King Barack Hussein Obama — will deliver an edict to his loyal subjects at 11:50 a.m.

Flora Duh on July 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I+Me=117X

tom daschle concerned on July 9, 2012 at 8:17 AM

Math is hard.

JayVee on July 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I am so sick of barack’s non-stop lying, finger-pointing, blaming of Bush and all around wind-baggery. Holy crap. Pull on your big boy pants and stop the whining, barack.

I am sooooo looking forward to November, when he learns first hand that most Americans feel the same way. Of course, the excuses will really pour from the “fountain of nonstop whining” then.

DuctTapeMyBrain on July 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Speak of the Devil Whiner.

Flora Duh on July 9, 2012 at 8:16 AM

You know what that is right? He wants to extend the Bush Tax cuts for everybody making under $250,000. GOP says everybody.

So more whining about the big bad meanie Republicans on tap.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

I wish Joe Wilson had been in the crowd to yell – YOU LIE.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM

I wish Joe Wilson had been in the crowd to yell – YOU LIE.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 8:19 AM

We’re all Joe Wilson now.

Problem is we can’t get past the palace guards often enough to be heard.

Flora Duh on July 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM

He wouldn’t recognize the truth if it landed on his face and started wiggling.
(Hat tip to Dan Ackroyd)

50sGuy on July 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Obama is Obama and the Truth is the Truth, and never the twain shall meet.

JimK on July 9, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I really, really can’t wait till January, I am so sick of that (mans)? Lies I could puke. Everyday its the same, he’s eather playing the race card or the poor me underdog card. Obama discusses me………

angrymike on July 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Weren’t the Democrats bragging about how much money they raised in 2008 right up until two months ago? Wasn’t the president’s own campaign bragging about how they would vastly outspend the Republicans again this year?

Mahna Mahna on July 9, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Pathological liar or just knowing what he can slip by his stupid voters?

The eternal question.

MNHawk on July 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Another thought. How bad was SCoaMF stuttering when he said that? Usually he knows he’s lying, when his stuttering shifts into high gear.

I I I I I challenge you to google those numbers…

MNHawk on July 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM

April 2010, Quincy, Illinois:

“I do think at a certain point you’ve made raised enough money, but you know, part of the American way is, you can just keep on making raising it if you’re providing a good product.”

There, FIFY.

ss396 on July 9, 2012 at 8:32 AM

I I I I I challenge you to google those numbers…

MNHawk on July 9, 2012 at 8:30 AM

You know he’s lying whenever those purple lips move.

Key West Reader on July 9, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Panderer-In-Chief to the imbecilic voters, unfortunately there are millions.

hillsoftx on July 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM

But don’t you understand the republicans intended to outspend Obama, to a liberal only intentions matter…

Gwillie on July 9, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Obama is a habitual liar. What else needs to be said?

TulsAmerican on July 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM

I am to the point that I expect him to lie.Matter of fact I am used to it.

docflash on July 9, 2012 at 8:35 AM

That passive/aggressive crap is so annoying and I can’t believe people fall for it. But, they do.

tj4osu on July 9, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Sweet petefrt

cmsinaz on July 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM

How long is the illustrious MSM going to allow this man to lie so blatantly? Have they no pride? I keep waiting for them to try and get back some credibility and I keep getting disappointed.

bflat879 on July 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Whining, you mean like a dog? TFGRP and dogs….there’s a connection there somehow.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Another class warfare pronouncement today?

Karl and Saul would be sooo proud.

kingsjester on July 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM

Speaking of The Daily Caller: Formal complaint seeks disbarment of Eric Holder in DC

petefrt on July 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Ok here’s the question, have I had too much coffee or not enough?

When I first scanned the comments I swear it said “seeks dismemberment of Eric Holder” and I thought hey, that’s cool.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

cmsinaz on July 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Vanderboegh and Codrea are heros. Let’s hope they have good security.

Last week, the bloggers who first exposed Operation Fast and Furious, Mike Vanderboegh and David Codrea, filed a formal complaint with the Washington, D.C. Office of Bar Counsel alleging that Holder committed “professional misconduct” during the congressional investigation into the scandal.

petefrt on July 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Dismemberment? We can probably leave that to Jesse Jackson.

petefrt on July 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM
Dismemberment? We can probably leave that to Jesse Jackson.

petefrt on July 9, 2012 at 8:46 AM

…I bet you Hillary would hold him down for JJ!

KOOLAID2 on July 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

It just doesn’t seem to matter to him anymore. He’s in it to win it no matter how many blatant lies and distortions of facts it takes. To the (sadly) large number of Americans who just don’t pay attention to politics the way ‘we’ here at hot gas do, it’s hard to believe that he lies more than any other politician because they believe the media would call him out for it. So any news outlet that reported Obama’s claim that he was outspent and didn’t call it a laughable lie based on…you know, actual facts and figures only helps provide cover for the liar in chief.

He’s betting on the media, not America.

CitizenEgg on July 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

And rumor has it (from Ace’s site) that 0bama is spending more than he is taking in as well. Wow, that’s a shocker….not!

Sometimes, I think you’ve raised enough campaign money.

ProfShadow on July 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Math is hard.

JayVee on July 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Truth is even more difficult.

SJBill on July 9, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Why would the President lie about this?

What advantage over Romney could possibly be gained by making folks think he was outspent in those races?

Does he enjoy fooling people?

“How can we fool ‘em today, Joe?”

itsnotaboutme on July 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM

He’s like a goose – wakes up in a new world everyday

koaiko on July 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Why would the President lie about this?

Does he enjoy fooling people?

“How can we fool ‘em today, Joe?”

itsnotaboutme on July 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM

I got a fundraising letter from Joey B saying how badly they were behind. I sent them a link to an article saying that that was a lie. No one will read it but I sent it anyway.

Fallon on July 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Ok here’s the question, have I had too much coffee or not enough?

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Probably too much. I live on the stuff, and do that sort of thing all the time. I thought that it was perhaps some form of Early Onset Dyslexia but, honestly, some of the ‘results’ are more apropos (and a good deal funnier) than the original phrasing. I need to start keeping a record of them.

Cheers!

ss396 on July 9, 2012 at 9:32 AM

We’re all Joe Wilson now.

Four years ago, I made up a sign that said “I AM JOE” and taped to the inside of my motorcycle’s windshield. I got a lot of nods and smiles from that one.

Four years later, I’m now working at 1/5 my salary at that time, lost my house, and I had to turn the bike back to the finance company.

This Joe has had enough.

Kraken on July 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM

He can pathologically lie because nobody exposes his falsehoods and the truth except the Right. Then all Team Obama has to do is demonize the Right and we’re the “evil ones.” The SRM will not hold him to account. A few four pinocchios from WaPo are a drop in the bucket.

That doesn’t mean we stop exposing the lie and speaking the truth though.

conservative pilgrim on July 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Fallon on July 9, 2012 at 9:24 AM

An informed voter is like cyanide to Democrats. How does it feel to know you are so hated by a major political party…pretty good huh?

SKYFOX on July 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

He’s betting on the media, not America.

CitizenEgg on July 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Excellent point! Mind if I use that line?

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

This Joe has had enough.

Kraken on July 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I’m so sorry. All I can think to say is, hold on just a while longer. I firmly believe what Newt said, “the night of the election when Barak Obama is defeated, this economy will start turning around.”

Flora Duh on July 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Pathological liar or just knowing what he can slip by his stupid voters?

The eternal question.

MNHawk on July 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM

That about sums it up.

The other most aggravating factor in his statemens like these is the glib way he tosses them out there with mock incredulity, which bolsters the likelihood that his acolytes will take his word as gospel and no one in their right mind (are you listening, mainstream press?) would dare challenge him.

Captain Scarlet on July 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

This Joe has had enough.

Kraken on July 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I feel your pain. I lost my house last year and just two weeks ago lucked into a job ($.75 over minimum wage) and free room. I was homeless until then.

ExpressoBold on July 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Barry wasn’t whining, he was lying through his teeth!

GarandFan on July 9, 2012 at 10:03 AM

At some point, hasn’t he whined enough?

St Gaudens on July 9, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Just a few more short months.

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

He’s like a goose – wakes up in a new world everyday

koaiko on July 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Actually, I believe “gold fish” is more appropriate than “goose”. They have a memory of about three minutes.

Moron can’t remember the lies he told earlier in his own speech. No wonder he needs a teleprompter to keep his lies straight.

DuctTapeMyBrain on July 9, 2012 at 10:13 AM

It has always been one of this srongest cards, apparently. Playing the underdog. And he is playing because in his own mind God answers to him.

Hey vote for me because

- You know, most people running don’t look like me (wink)
- You know, most people running don’t have my last name (wink)
- You know, we are the people and we can’t let the MAN keep us down
- You know, our enemies are the rich and corporations and they have all the money and power, we must rise up. And so we need your cashola so that we can hopenchangenstuff!
- You know, the odds are against us, but [insert fantasy 'composite' story from Bill Ayers crib notes]

He’s like a Latte-colored Jimmy Baker. I wish he’d wheel out Tammy Fay Jarrett on camera though.

CorporatePiggy on July 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM

It will soon be a month since the Holder contempt citations were issued by Congress. Holder is still Attorney General, and no more details have been forthcoming from the Department of Obama Justice.

Therefore, there should be a prize for the greatest stonewalling scam in American History – not for Eric Holder, but for the man who demands such sacrifice from his underlings – Barack Hussein Mohammed Obama.

In view of the ongoing blatant criminal activity and, pardon the pun, lack of respect for Congress shown by the administration, I feel it is fast approaching the time when much more serious efforts are made to restore public confidence in the justice system.

dockywocky on July 9, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 8:43 AM

It must be wishful thinking.
I thought I read the same thing on first glance.
Imagine my disappointment when I saw the correct headline.

Solaratov on July 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

More crocodile tears from Emperor Caligula. Big celebration coming this fall. More crying by Caligula.

kenny on July 9, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Obama was misleading.

Translation:

Obama was lying.

Obama compounded his lies with more lies.

It is as if all these clowns posing as journalists went swimming in Illinois and got their nuts nipped off by pacu fish.

The lying liar lies. Call it what it is. Call him what he is: LIAR.

One of Obama’s most disgraceful characteristics, common among narcissists, is that he lies constantly. The only things transparent about the Obama administration are the transparent lies he repeatedly has told us.

Does he really think we are so stupid we won’t notice?

(Don’t answer that. We elected him 4 years ago, and anyone who bothered to inform themselves about him before they voted for him already knew he was a compulsive liar. So a lot of people had the evidence before them and ignored it. The question is whether people will still vote for him after four years of lying, hard to ignore even if the media has suppressed what it could and tried to sugar-coat the rest. That this election is even in doubt at this point is deeply troubling.)

Of course, Obama’s lying to us shouldn’t make us feel special in any way. He lies to the rest of the world too…

novaculus on July 9, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Wait until he really gets outspent, by the Romney campaign, if fundraising continues at the present pace. Obummer won’t know what hit him!

But there’s one place Obama will never be outspent–what he has taken from the U.S. Treasury.

Steve Z on July 9, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Math is hard.

Conservative in NOVA on July 9, 2012 at 1:26 PM

At some point, Barack, I believe you’ve raised enough money.

Just paraphrasing.

RebeccaH on July 9, 2012 at 1:44 PM

At some point, he’s made enough money…

steved95 on July 9, 2012 at 7:40 PM