Obama to campaign on 2010 re-run

posted at 8:41 am on July 9, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Some believe Barack Obama has run out of ideas on the economy — like, for instance, the Washington Post, which wondered aloud about that very problem last week:

Obama’s message on his two-day bus tour through Ohio and Pennsylvania has been twofold. First, he pointed to modest signs of progress in rebuilding the economy–the health of the auto industry is his principal case study across Ohio’s northern tier. At the same time, he warned that the medicine offered by Romney and the Republicans is exactly the wrong prescription.

As he said here Friday morning, “We tried it, and didn’t work.”

But it has become increasingly difficult for the president to argue that what he has tried is working well, or that he has something new to offer. Each month that the economy produces fewer jobs than are needed just to keep pace with population growth adds to the burden the president faces as the clock ticks toward November.

As if to prove that very point, the White House plans to announce today that Obama will propose a “new” policy — to raise taxes on everyone making $250,000 a year or more, just as he did in 2010 and 2011:

President Obama on Monday will propose a one-year extension of the Bush-era tax cuts for people earning less than $250,000, his latest election-year effort to appeal to middle-class voters.

The president will make the announcement during an 11:50 a.m. East Room event, joined by families and workers who would benefit from the initiative, White House officials said.

The move is likely to set up another standoff with Republicans in Congress, who support extending the tax cuts permanently for all income levels, not just those earning less than $250,000 per year.

But the White House is calculating that forcing the GOP to reject the president’s proposal would put Republican lawmakers in a difficult position at a time when many Americans are struggling in a tough economy.

This is so unserious it almost descends into parody.  Even Democrats in the Senate last year didn’t bother to push the $250,000 cutoff that Obama proposed while he was in the midst of his Occupy fervor.  They ended up bumping the limit to a million dollars — and still didn’t get it through Congress.  Chuck Schumer complained with some justification that $250K in his state was a middle-class income.

Meanwhile, the Champion of the Middle Class proposes to exchange the tax hike on people making $250K for … what?  A one-year extension of the Bush-era tax rates for people earning below that level.  That’s actually a worse deal than Obama proposed in 2010 and 2011.  In fact, it’s a worse deal than the two-year extension on all tax rates Republicans won after Democrats got skunked in the 2010 midterms.

A one-year extension won’t convince middle-class earners to invest their money or take more risks.  All it will do is confirm that Obama plans to hike taxes on the middle class in a second term.  If not, why propose a one-year extension rather than proposing making the Bush-era rates on those earners permanent?

Obama is indeed out of ideas.  Now he’s giving us reruns of his greatest … misses.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

What a yutz!
He makes me absolutely sick.
You might not love Romney, but the thought of looking at obama every day on the tv for the next four years makes me want to throw a shoe through the tv.

Bambi on July 9, 2012 at 8:44 AM

The only strategy he knows is class warfare.

kingsjester on July 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Starting to loathe him again…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Starting to loathe him again…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I never stopped.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

How is this guy getting even 1% of the vote?

The Rogue Tomato on July 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Hope and Change, now fortified with vitamin-enhanced bullshiite.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Hopefully people will see that whole “he’s gonna raise your taxes in a year” message, but I wont hold my breath.

taternuggets on July 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Okay Romney – vacation is over. Time to go back on the offensive.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Ed, as always, is right on the money.

50sGuy on July 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

How is this guy getting even 1% of the vote?

The Rogue Tomato on July 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

His entire campaign is aimed at low information voters. Unfortunately, there are more of them around than we think.

TarheelBen on July 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

capital gains is in there too

this has been the unsaid tax issue for a while

Obama bringing this to the forefront now is just baiting the class warfare issue

republicans need to hammer home that tax cuts increase not decrease revenue to the Government because businesses hire employees that then pay taxes

slice it decisively Mitt

how this idiot can push this by the public is beyond me
it falls on both of them

audiotom on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

This is why Romney needs to take what Roberts gave him on the ObamaCare tax and run with it — combine the two, and it hammers home the idea of a president whose answer to everything is raise taxes.

jon1979 on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Mika and the rest of the mj crew thinks its great idea

Mr. I will not extend any of the tax cuts to mr i need some votes so im desperate

cmsinaz on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Okay Romney – vacation is over. Time to go back on the offensive.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Exactly. Channel Reagan…not Clinton.

kingsjester on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

…time to go golfing!

KOOLAID2 on July 9, 2012 at 8:53 AM

O-Tax..

Enough said.

Electrongod on July 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Obama must wake up every morning, pull something out of his backside, throw it against the wall and see what sticks. He is completely void of innovative thought and rational ideas. God help us.

rplat on July 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Obama is indeed out of ideas.

Hard to be out when you have always had zero. Pres Empty Suit.

hillsoftx on July 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM

He’s relying on the negative campaign, and so far in the swing states its working.

ProfessorMiao on July 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Remember, exit polling conducted after 2008 showed roughly 13 million people voted for Obama, 2004 these same people voted for Bush. This is key and worth remembering moving forward.

jjnco73 on July 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Obama 2012 – SPREAD YOUR WEALTH AROUND. MORE.

Good Lt on July 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Well, this strategy got the Dems totally blown out in the midterms, so have at it I say.

eyedoc on July 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM

PBHO – Vote for me and I won’t raise your taxes (unless you’re one of the uber-rich, or own a small company, which means you really are rich… and evil).

Romney – vote for me and no one’s taxes get raised.

Hrmmm

LtGenRob on July 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM

ProfessorMiao on July 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

That will happen when people only see one side. I’m in the extremely targeted Tampa Bay market and It’s all Bain, Bain, Bain. I see no rebuttals.

It’s becoming frustrating.

taternuggets on July 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Starting to loathe him again…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I never stopped.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 8:48 AM

Christians aren’t supposed to hate anyone. I am trying really hard…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM

“For those making under 250,000 you will not see your taxes go up…you will however see IRS agents at your door in order to force you to comply with my healthcare tax mandate penalty.”

I’m Barack Obama and I approve this message.

Weight of Glory on July 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Exactly. Channel Reagan…not Clinton.

kingsjester on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I am gladly supporting him but he needs to come out swinging and swinging hard.

He’s got the money – use it.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 9:00 AM

The campaign had planned to be busy delegitimizing SCOTUS at this time. They had a void to fill, so more class warfare posturing it is. The media will love it again and it’ll probably work on some angry embittered idiots.

forest on July 9, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Okay Romney – vacation is over. Time to go back on the offensive.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Exactly. Channel Reagan…not Clinton.

kingsjester on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Megadittos.

petefrt on July 9, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Vote for me and I won’t raise your taxes for another year. Sounds like a plan to me, he should double down on this one. Can you say “Past is Prologue”, yeah, I knew you could.

JimK on July 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

rplat on July 9, 2012 at 8:54 AM

Obama has never been in a real election campaign before. When he was elected to to the IL state senate he ran unopposed because he got everybody thrown off of the ballot. When he ran for the US senate, he ran unoppoosed because he got Ryan’s divorce records unsealed, and Ryan dropped out of the race. Then he ran against McCain, who didn’t even run any kind of a real campaign. he thought it was beneath him to attack Obama for all of his obvious shortcomings.

Now, he’s running against somebody who he can’t get thrown off the ballot, who is intent on beating him, and who has a lot of ammo to use. And Axelrod is just spinning his wheels, hoping the outsourcing lies and Swiss bank account nonsense will be enough for people to forget how badly Obama has wrecked this country. There’s nothing else that they have. It’s just going to be 100% sleaze for the next 4 months.

eyedoc on July 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

It’s all Bain, Bain, Bain. I see no rebuttals.

It’s becoming frustrating.

taternuggets on July 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Perhaps they are just building their war chest to launch an ad blitz a week or two before mail-out elections begin. If you think about it, Mitt only needs to destroy the low info voter and how long can they retain anything–maybe between Facebook posts.

hillsoftx on July 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Christians aren’t supposed to hate anyone. I am trying really hard…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM

Here is how I look at it. My senses were on high alert during 2008. What he said made my hair stand on end and gave me the shivers. IMO there is a reason for that. I pray everynight about this and I figure as long as I have a dialogue with the Big Guy going – he knows what is in my heart.

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Starting to loathe him again…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I never stopped. Did anyone?

esr1951 on July 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Let’s raise taxes on the political class (Pres, Congress, Cabinet) and tax their income over $250,000 at 90%. How quickly would democrats suddenly hate higher taxes on the rich?

bopbottle on July 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Great answer…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

TarheelBen on July 9, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Yep, and those are the folks most ill served by the MSM who have been in the tank for this clown and refused to point out his endless stream of lies and treasonous (in his own words) spending.

CitizenEgg on July 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

hillsoftx on July 9, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I think you’re probably right, but it’s a nerve-racking strategy for us observers.

taternuggets on July 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

eyedoc on July 9, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Yep, that’s why I’m not worried. We have about a month and a half to go until the GOP convention, the Veep pick needs to happen a little bit before then, and most low-info voters aren’t really paying attention until then.

Sekhmet on July 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Bring back the Greek Pillars Barry! Remind your followers that you were once “god-like” and the #1 giver of fish, food stamps, unemployment extentions, and oh yeah, five more trillion in new debt. Raise taxes, spend more, rinse and repeat.

Rovin on July 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Starting to loathe him again…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I never stopped. Did anyone?

esr1951 on July 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Nope, not ever.

Robert Jensen on July 9, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Scooter is handing this election over to the GOP on a silver platter. Romney needs to regain his focus.

kingsjester on July 9, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Meh, there’s time yet and I’m thinking that Rombo is setting the stage for destroying TFGRP in ways that can barely be imagined. Bark has been reduced to “vote for me because I’m not him” instead of his supposedly great record of achievement; in other words, he’s screwed.

Bishop on July 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Yepper KJ

cmsinaz on July 9, 2012 at 9:17 AM

It amazes me how clearly inept the Obama campaign is. In what world does recycling the same tired crap day after day, month after month, and year after year actually inspire anyone? Oh, wait. This time they will get the “messaging” right.

I wonder if I quit being a liberal too soon in life. While I understand the liberal brain, I do not understand this obsession with “messaging”, whatever the Fluke that means. When I used to be a liberal I was honest about my stupidity.

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Exactly how will these people benefit from taxing other people?

BuckeyeSam on July 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM

The low-information voters are the ones who are going to elect 0bama. After what Roberts did, all bets are off. Things that are glaringly clear to anyone paying attention to the basics are not even on the radar screen of those who are not. Roberts violated so many basics of our system – writing law from the bench – to save a law that didn’t originate in the proper house of Congress – which was pushed through with 51 votes because it “wasn’t a tax” – and then for Roberts to fix it so it could work….

Roberts’ myopia is of a different level but of the same family as the low-information voters – fixated upon their Facebook accounts and getting their news through an occasional Yahoo News update on their phones – and basically flying blind – but being allowed to vote….

Yesterday it was made clear to me. I have been helping a 28-y.o. guy fix his car. He makes good money doing title work for the oil industry and buying Air Jordan shoes and scalping them on eBay.

I asked if he had any newspaper – we needed it to do some work on the car. He laughed. “I don’t read newspapers.” A bit later we were talking and he mentioned that he hadn’t paid his taxes – and had made a lot last year as an independent contractor…. I said to him, “well, you’re going to enjoy the extra 0bamacare tax then.”

He didn’t know what I was talking about. I asked him if he had health insurance – he said no. I explained that 0bama was going to hit him with a hefty tax on his return… He refused to believe me – said that’s not true – that’s ridiculous – I’m not going to pay that.”

I gave him a short talk on how getting 0bama out of office was the only way to save his future. He said he doesn’t like Romney. I said then “you can enjoy watching 0bama bankrupt the country – -and if you don’t pay your tax, 0bama is going to put you in jail.”

He was totally incredulous and looked at me as if I had a third eye.

We went back to work.

He makes good money and has chosen to stop following the news.

I don’t think he should be allowed to vote.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

… So, the President will be making the announcement from an empty room?

PackerBronco on July 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

….and Obama goes out to propose this right after hitting middle class Americans with hundreds of millions in tax increases…..on top of his failed policies that have driven up the cost of goods…doing business….and created a economic atmosphere that resembles the Sahara desert.

Only a complete fool would vote for this Hustler-n-Chief….

Baxter Greene on July 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I doubt your friend even votes. People who don’t vote, or don’t pay any attention at all, often learn the hard way. If he never gets mugged by reality he’ll continue to not vote and not pay attention.

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:28 AM

What’s worrying me is the millions like him who do vote – based upon nothing.

We are reaping the fruits of a total breakdown of civics education in the schools. What was it that Franklin said… “a republic – if you can keep it”?

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Obama 2012 – SPREAD YOUR WEALTH AROUND. MORE. BUTT CHEEKS.

Good Lt on July 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM

You know the guy’s preferences, don’t you?

Archivarix on July 9, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Excuse me, but don’t the evil Booooooosh “tax cuts for the wealthy” only apply to the very wealthy? How can the extension of the evil Booooooooosh “tax cuts for the wealthy” help the middle class if, in fact, they never received them in the first place? Talking out of both sides of your mouth again Dear Leader?

NOMOBO on July 9, 2012 at 9:33 AM

This isn’t a serious legislative proposal, but a position calculated simply to generate class angst and resentful votes.

FerdtheMoonCat on July 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Because nothing jump starts a sluggish economy like a tax hike. He’ll crow just long about this idea to make sure his base understands that the “well off” are evil and then he’ll back off and take another trip to raise campaign funds from people making well over $250,000 per year. And, of course, those that fall for this schtick time and time again will continue to deny his hypocrisy.

DaveDief on July 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM

My 28-y.o. friend also wants to start his own business. I explained that if he wanted to do so, he would wait until 0bama was out of there, and help accomplish that.

Maybe he will listen. I am older and showing him how much butt I kick on intricate mechanical jobs. I haven’t given up hope that a lot of these young political ignoramuses can be reached if others take the time to confront them on their ignorance – while showing that we know what the heck we’re talking about.

I stunned another friend – a 65-y.o. 0bama-loving, black Vietnam disabled vet the other day, when I explained to him that 0bama had added to our debt in 3-1/2 years FIVE TIMES the cost of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars combined. That blew him away. Also, I explained how 0bama had just legalized millions of Mexicans under age 30 – and how they were going to be competing directly with his young, unemployed family members. On the ONE issue – he said that it was messed up what 0bama did. Maybe just a ray of light in his mind to start waking up that you can’t always just vote race.

What if I decided a candidate was OK for my interests, based just upon the fact he was white? On that basis, Hitler would be electable.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Obama isn’t out of ideas; he never had any to begin with. All he’s ever done is spout the same statist claptrap the left has always spouted.
It’s all been tried before and the results have always been disastrous. Only a fool would think this time will be any different.

Oh, wait…this time we have Teh Won. After all, socialism will work if you just get the right people running things./

single stack on July 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

What is it going to take to get Romney fired up?

Pork-Chop on July 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

What’s also worrying me is 0bama’s obvious conspiracy with the Saudis to get gas prices down to $2.50/gallon by the November election – due to market manipulation that kept the prices artificially high since the BP oil spill so that the producers would be able to play along to get low gas prices at election time and not lose anything.

People are going to fall for it, hook, line and sinker.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I mostly agree, but there will always be a hardcore minority that just does not care because they have successfully avoided government intrusion into their lives. I don’t think this is a new phenomena either. I think many Americans in our history were happy to live outside of the system ignoring the goings-on of politicians in general because the were not impacted by it. There is a certain American tradition at work here with those who seem to feel free and unimpacted by the government. Like I said, maybe he’ll get mugged by reality someday, but until that day he won’t ever change.

NotCoach on July 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM

What is it going to take to get Romney fired up?

Pork-Chop on July 9, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Things have changed so much since the last election – the supremacy of Facebook and Twitter… I don’t know if we’re ever going to be presented with evidence that Romney is “fired up.”

I have felt this for awhile – and will say it again. People have tuned out so much… that Romney will have only one chance – or two or three – to make his case: that’s in the debates.

That will we his only chance to look at a large audience in a sporting-event, spectator situation, and slice and dice 0bama. If the GOP is on the ball, they will have a large team of folks working to make sure that the debate questions and moderators are fair. My feeling is that the election is going to hinge on the debates – and if the Dems and the MSM are allowed to conspire – then the election will be thrown by biased debate questions and moderators.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM

The Bush tax cuts applied to everyone and put many in the position of not having to pay taxes at all. So Obama thinks raising taxes on everyone is a good thing. This tax hike and the one the SOCTUS imposed on us through Obamacare which was the biggest one in the history of the world is going to pretty much tap everyone that has a job out. At what point do the people with jobs that have to fork over almost all of their money decide that working sucks and stop? Shazzam. We have run out of other people’s money.

His ideology drives his thought processes. He thinks this is going to work. Just tax the peons a little more and he can get out of this mess. Gotta raise those revenues. Ever higher taxes. Yeah, that’ll work.

BetseyRoss on July 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Obama to campaign on 2010 re-run

Good!

Look to the U.S. House of Representatives to see the results of the 2010 elections. And Republican wins in state legislatures means that Republican-led redistricting (following the 2010 census) will not be more friendly to Democrats (if anything, it will be more friendly to Republicans).

I see us picking up some additional seats in the House, about 8 seats in the Senate (maybe as many as 10), and the Presidency.

If Obama is going to campaign on 2010 re-run, and one assumes that the party that won a majority of the House seats in each state in 2010 will do so again and that popular vote for President in each state ends up reflecting the party that wins a majority of the House seats for that state, then the 2012 Electoral College map will look like this.

ITguy on July 9, 2012 at 9:46 AM

It’s all Bain, Bain, Bain. I see no rebuttals.

It’s becoming frustrating.

taternuggets on July 9, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Don’t forget, Romney isn’t even the official nominee yet. I suspect he’s holding back a bit until after the convention.

Don’t worry, the Death Star is just in the shop getting a tune-up and a polish.

Mr. Arkadin on July 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:40 AM

While I’m usually vaguely confused, this is one thing that’s got me completely confused. I thought the Saudis would do the opposite. Don’t they hate Obama because he favors the Shia/Iran axis?

Or does Obama’s Israel hatred trump everything?

Mr. Arkadin on July 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Some believe Barack Obama has run out of ideas on the economy …

How can someone who’s never made a dime of profit in the private sector and who’s surrounded himself with and associated himself with similar personalities have any ideas about the economy that can possibly be GOOD ones?

Cleombrotus on July 9, 2012 at 9:51 AM

One thing we have on our side is that Romney definitely “wants it.” He grew up with a dad who ran and lost, and so he has a legacy to live up to. Romney seems to be a decent man, as did GWB, but Romney seems a lot smarter than GWB. 0bama does not seem to be a decent man, despite the unending MSM and even FoxNews statements that “people like him personally.” I see nothing to like, personally. He’s a conceited jerk. I think a lot of America senses that.

I like Romney much more than McCain. He has a much better mind – has experience – he debates well…. and I think does have the makings of a good president, even if he’s not conservative enough for me.

For me, just getting Romney in there to try to put out the fires raging in all directions in the country will be a personal relief. Staying on DEFCON 1 for an entire presidency has been personally draining. I’d like to at least feel that an adult is in charge again.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Christians aren’t supposed to hate anyone. I am trying really hard…

OmahaConservative on July 9, 2012 at 8:59 AM

I’m not a Christian so hating your enemy is a good idea.

vityas on July 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Or does Obama’s Israel hatred trump everything?

Mr. Arkadin on July 9, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I don’t have a link, but a few months back I read a news story that 0bama had heavily lobbied the Saudis, against their own preferences, to open the taps and had cut some kind of deal to do something odd that didn’t match their market interests. I put it in my mental file because it looked obvious to me he was manipulating oil prices to set himself up for November.

Maybe someone else can help? I remember that 0bama convinced the Saudis to do something they really wouldn’t normally do.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Not only are these old and tarnished shiny objects, they aren’t even getting rid of the dust on them.

No Christmas Tree to be found.

ajacksonian on July 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I’m not a Christian so hating your enemy is a good idea.

vityas on July 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I am a Christian and I can’t accept that God would endow us with such a strong emotion and not expect us to use it. The key is how we use it, for good or ill.

SKYFOX on July 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Barry doesn’t have any “new” ideas. He’s tried everything in the socialist playbook. All he’s got now are re-runs.

GarandFan on July 9, 2012 at 10:02 AM

SKYFOX on July 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I’m not sure God “endowed” us with hate. I lean more toward that hate was a product of Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit, which changed the character of man. Cain used hate. I’m not sure he would have had it if Eve hadn’t listened to the serpent.

Not trying to go OT – so I’ll leave it at that and hope it doesn’t derail the thread!!!

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Well it’s all about the “middle” class isn’t it…Don’t discount the power of this tactic. As we all know there are a whole lot of voters who don’t make 250,000 and a large group that pay no taxes. They’re more than happy to stick it to the “rich” because they don’t think it’s them . Of course with these kind of tax laws it will never be them…

sandee on July 9, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Just to throw this out there…

If y’all had a choice between a 45% chance of Romney being elected, and a 100% chance that Jimmy Carter could be elected to throw 0bama out, how many of you would take Carter, at this point? I know for myself I’d have to seriously consider it.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I personally think that the election of 0bama would have such dire, irreparable consequences, that I would have to seriously consider choosing an assured Carter election than a 45% chance of a Romney election.

That’s how bad the situation is, IMO.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 10:12 AM

And…. to add…. if I replace Carter with Bill Clinton in my 100% scenario, I can tell you now that I’d pick Clinton in a heartbeat rather than a coin flip between Romney and 0bama.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM

This is all a plot just to set up a more “modest” proposal of ending the Bush tax cuts on people making 1 mill or more. The GOP needs to stay fast on this one.

cdog0613 on July 9, 2012 at 10:14 AM

President Obama on Monday will propose a one-year extension of the Bush-era tax cuts for people earning less than $250,000, his latest election-year effort to appeal to middle-class voters.

I thought that he was for making those permanent. Now, he is just for a “one-year extension”?

Resist We Much on July 9, 2012 at 10:16 AM

But but but I thought that the Bush tax cuts were only for the rich? What’s all this crazy talk now about how they actually benefited people who aren’t gazillionaires? /

tdpwells on July 9, 2012 at 10:18 AM

FerdtheMoonCat on July 9, 2012 at 9:35 AM

I think it is even more designed just to “win” another news cycle, with the media running appreciative stories on the President being “clever” and “putting Republicans on the defensive again over tax cuts for the rich.” The media have never cared whether anything Obama propoesed actually made sense or ad a chance of being enacted, they just love anything that might make Republicans look bad or defensive.

They are covering this campaign as a series of tactical battles – just one way they are helping Obama avoid talking about his dismal record and the horrible economy.

rockmom on July 9, 2012 at 10:30 AM

The stupidity and babble are really showing. Of course he would screw middle income people, that’s where most of the money is. But the offer is so clumsy and obvious, still another example of the buffoons in the WH embarrassing themselves, led by the First Buffoon & covered by the media.

arand on July 9, 2012 at 10:32 AM

gophergirl on July 9, 2012 at 9:04 AM

…HE…has my heart…my mouth… the debil get’s a hold of sometimes!

KOOLAID2 on July 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Democrat Party platform for the past forever: Steal as much of the US suckers assets, and Constitutional freedoms as possible so if or when they wise up and stop sending their children to our Marxist run public schools they will be too poor and dependent to do anything about it.

aposematic on July 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Here’s a comment that I know walks the line, and so if the mods remove it, that’s fine. The only reason I want to even say it is that I find it interesting that I heard the same thing from two different sources after Roberts upheld 0bamacare. Again – this is NOT my personal wish and I am not trying to troll here… but let me say it and again, if it’s inappropriate, then Ed or Allah can delete it.

This is the level of anger that 0bamacare seems to have aroused:

I heard two stories last week – one from my 65-y.o. black Vietnam vet friend, and one from my 74-y.o. “aunt” (actually a cousin). My “aunt” is so very nice and a classic Cajun mama – God-fearing – cooks – takes care of sick people – one of the nicest, unpolitical, solid, loving people I have ever known, who never raises her voice or brings up politics.

My black friend has his 0bama/Biden sticker on his truck, and we have had a lot of good talks about 0bama. He listens – discusses – doesn’t raise his voice – a good guy.

I saw him last week after the Roberts betrayal and he was upset. We had been talking, and I told him that it was up to sober people like him and me to talk to our black friends and try to explain the issues, so that there wouldn’t be riots if 0bama lost. He responded that he was more worried about what white people would do if 0bama wins. He then continued to say that he had gone into the doctor’s office and a middle-aged white couple were talking in the waiting room about how 0bamacare was going to make their doctor retire due to the Medicare “fix”, and their doctor had told them so previously. He said that the couple said that if 0bama forces this through, he might have to be “taken out.” That’s a paraphrase. Again, I’m just reporting a story I heard, and not advocating. My black friend was very disturbed. I agreed with him that that was a terrible thought. I then said that this seemed to be an indicator of how upset some people were that 0bama seemed to be forcing things down Americans’ throats, and how Americans didn’t like to be dictated to. So we parted on friendly terms, after our usual political discussion.

So a couple days later, I traveled for a family reunion, and saw my “aunt,” whose husband is a paralyzed cripple, slowly and painfully dying in bed. We were catching up, and out of nowhere, this nice, calm, non-political white lady says, “what do you think about 0bamacare?” I mentioned that it was going to cause a lot of upheaval. She responds, “I think if he keeps this up, someone may [take him out].” Then she continued with with really chilled me: “Presidents a lot better than that have been [taken out].”

We didn’t continue… returned to catching up on things…. but the two conversations stayed with me.

What my takeaway is from this is that if I start hearing this kind of talk popping up – among non-radical – non-fringe, quiet, everyday people – then it tells me that 0bama is pushing the edge of what Americans will tolerate, with his mandates. Americans have never liked being bossed around. 0bama certainly has not embraced compromise. And if something should happen to him, what a tragedy for the country, and what a dark time would follow.

It worries me a lot to hear unsolicited comments like this. We don’t need more upheaval – that’s for sure.

So I have reported this just in a strict reporting capacity – to illustrate that the 0bamacare decision apparently has really upset some people…. and that the country seems to be a tinder box.

Again, I just thought it was notable that the Roberts decision sparked comments like that that made their way to me. Let us hope that 0bama will try harder to moderate his dictates, and that he will be more responsive and respectful of Americans – whom he is supposed to represent – who stringly disagree with his tactics.

I am not trolling or advocating, and so I hope that Ed and Allah will understand the spirit of my comment.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Obama’s re-run campaign strategy:
1. George W. Bush was the most horrible person ever to walk the earth and the worst president ever.
2. Bush’s horribleness has infected the entire Republican party.
3. Mitt Romney is a Republican.
4. Mitt Romney is a horrible person.
5. A vote for Mitt Romney is a vote for George W. Bush.
6. The economy is . . . Look! A squirrel!

natasha333 on July 9, 2012 at 10:42 AM

SKYFOX on July 9, 2012 at 10:01 AM

Look up Jehu. Old Testament. “must we love those who hate the Lord?”

Cleombrotus on July 9, 2012 at 10:51 AM

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 10:34 AM

In re to your two anecdotes (and I don’t want to sound like a Pollyanna here), is it possible that the people you refer to simply mean that Obama must be defeated in the upcoming election?

There is a lot of sub-surface anger and frustration in the nation over Obama’s destructive economic policies. What bothers me is that he is fanning flames with his misdirection and scapegoating.

An effective politician has to get the message out that no one has opportunities to become successful when the government steps in to pick winners and losers and takes away from the productive. No lasting jobs of worth have ever been created by those who are dependent. The less a people are shackled to the government, the freer they are to create the kinds of lives that they want to have.

onlineanalyst on July 9, 2012 at 11:02 AM

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 10:10 AM

If he was followed by a Reagan? I’d roll the dice…

Kraken on July 9, 2012 at 11:05 AM

People need to ask the question “Why is everything Obama proposes only one year long?” We saw the President sign a bill that lower interest rates on students for one year. Now he promises to extend the tax cuts for one year. People need to point out how everything will land on deaf ears if Obama is reelected. The students interest rates will increase after 2013 and so will the tax cuts on everybody in 2013.
The President talks about the future of this country, but his actions don’t match up with his rhetoric.

djaymick on July 9, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The last half-decade has not been good to graduates. Only a half of those who graduated since 2006 are now employed full time, according to a recent Rutgers University survey. More college graduates are settling for jobs that in years past would have gone to those without degrees.

Youth for Barry.

bayview on July 9, 2012 at 12:12 PM

He is campaigning in WH

cmsinaz on July 9, 2012 at 12:14 PM

how this idiot can push this by the public is beyond me
it falls on both of them

audiotom on July 9, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Would that be the same “public” that doesn’t know what country America declared independence from or who the Founding Fathers were (and I don’t mean they couldn’t name them, I mean they had no idea what group of people the “Founding Fathers” refered to at all)?

I can perfectly well see how that public can have the wool pulled over their eyes by the Campaigner-in-Chief. He doesn’t even need wool… a sheer pair of hosiery would do that trick for that public.

gravityman on July 9, 2012 at 12:19 PM

With this genius move, Obama just gave Mittens are reprieve on his confusion about the Obamacare mandate being a tax. Nice move, Champ (er, Chump)! Team Mittens ought to knock one out of the park on this chintzy move to save the middle class.

OTOH, McConnell and Boehner need to lose their sourpuss attitudes about the Pubbies chances in November. Last week they both sounded like they were ready to toss in the towel! Schmuckin’ RINO’s!!!

Bob in VA on July 9, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Well, good. It worked out so well for him in 2010, after all. I’d take a down-ballot wave a la 2010 any day.

alwaysfiredup on July 9, 2012 at 12:30 PM

Obama is indeed out of ideas. Now he’s giving us reruns of his greatest … misses.

Unprecedented

ted c on July 9, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Damn…leftover hash again?

swinia sutki on July 9, 2012 at 12:41 PM

The middle class has no money to invest after losing on average 40% of their net worth when the asset bubble collapsed. As for taking risk, the only risk that’s really feasible is assuming higher levels of credit card and other debt, which isn’t great for the economy over the long-term anyway.

Saving the auto industry was anything but destructive, while the most significant improvement to the structure our economic system- breaking up the too big to fail banks as recommended by the Dallas Fed- didn’t occur because Obama favored Bush era supply-side solutions such as TARP.

Some clear trends are by far the more destructive to our future:

bayam on July 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Socialist Media Headline LIE: “Obama Pushes Tax-Cut Extension”
THE TRUTH: OBOZO Pushes TAX INCREASE ON MOST AMERICAN JOB CREATORS
(Nearly ONE MILLION AMERICAN HOUSEHOLDS will get a TAX INCREASE under the job-killing OBOZO plan.)

TeaPartyNation on July 9, 2012 at 1:00 PM