Video: George W. and the warriors

posted at 11:01 am on July 8, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

The subjects of today’s story are a bit of an odd pairing. The first is Piers Morgan, who many of our readers likely don’t watch on a regular basis. He’s on CNN, for starters, seems to demonstrate some left skewing views and is most often seen interviewing celebrities or the inventor of Chapstick.

But this week he did a feature story on former president George W. Bush. This one has nothing to do with politics, which W largely stays out of anyway, but instead promotes a mountain bike race he sponsors for wounded veterans. The feature also tells the story of one of the warriors in question, how he happened to originally meet Bush, and how that led to the creation of this event.

“The W100 is a hundred kilometer mountain bike ride to honor our vets who have been wounded in combat, to thank their families, and to thank the groups that have helped them recover from serious injury,” explained the 43rd U.S. president.

“It’s important to me, because I want to stay connected to the veteran community. I’m not going to be a very public person, this is a rare interview for me,” revealed Bush. “And therefore, I’m worried that the vets will think I don’t care about them. So, this is a way for me to say that not only do I respect them, but I love them. And will continue to do so for the rest of my life.”

I highly encourage you to watch this video. (It’s not very long.)

No matter how you may have felt about W’s performance in office or his policies, whether you are Left or Right, this story may have you thinking a bit differently about the man. He has maintained a very private life since leaving office, staying largely out of the way of history, which I find admirable. And the W-100 is clearly not some sort of stunt to polish his image or put himself in the limelight. It really sounds like the only reason he agreed to do any press is to let more veterans know that this is available. And it seems to be helping them.

A tip of my hat to W this weekend. This is some good stuff.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

W 200, Bishop?

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 10:56 AM

History will be very kind to George W once today’s partisans fade away. Compared to the hand Bush was dealt in his first few years Obama got a full house–and he still complains about it.

patrick neid on July 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM

W… Always a class crap act.
rickv404 on July 8, 2012 at 11:12 AM

It didn’t take long for a petty, third rate, mediocre little turd to show up.

single stack on July 8, 2012 at 11:21 AM

You’re giving rickv404 too much credit. He doesn’t even meet those standards.

Cherokee on July 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Class, thy name is W.

garnkikaloid on July 9, 2012 at 12:27 PM

patrick neid on July 9, 2012 at 11:22 AM

In the distant future, history won’t consider significant any of these mediocrities that have been president. And Bush is near the top of the list of mediocrities, along with Obama. Bush gave us Obama, or can’t you people see that?

rickv404 on July 9, 2012 at 12:51 PM

rickv404, you won’t be remembered at all. So there’s that.

Bmore on July 9, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Given his highly immoral and highly reckless foreign policy, it’s the least he should do.

Dante on July 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

If rickv404 is who I think he is, I wouldn’t waste a penny’s worth of cow manure posting back to him…..

Vodkanockers on July 9, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Dante on July 9, 2012 at 2:06 PM

And all the men and women Obama has sent in harms way is “moral”? Explain how sending troops out to die with one hand tied behind their back and with a notification to the enemy and the troops that there will be no “mission accomplished” and how exactly is it moral that Obama is turning Iraq over to the Iranians?

You have noticed that Obama pretty much ignores the military unless there’s an “anniversary” he wants observed. You think Obama has visited any vets hospitals unaccompanied by the press? You think he’ll be visiting any after he leaves office? No? Me neither.

Regardless, Bush is a decent man. History will acknowledge that.

Portia46 on July 9, 2012 at 3:45 PM

rickv404 on July 9, 2012 at 8:22 AM

So sayeth the guy who gets his date drunk by pouring a beer in his hand….

Moose Drool on July 9, 2012 at 4:54 PM

President George W. Bush is a real American and one of my heroes.

God Bless President Bush and all our fighting men and women.

Zorro on July 9, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Huge spending and the Great Recession we are still in. Obama should thank GW first if he wins reelection. GW will have done the most for Obama if he wins.

Steveangell on July 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You have the economic education of … Obama. By all indications, you know how to write, so I assume you can read. Just for fun? Read something.

Jaibones on July 9, 2012 at 10:11 PM

So, rickypoo, are you going to answer my question?

single stack on July 9, 2012 at 10:41 AM

single stack on July 10, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Hmm, I guess not. Well, call me Captain Renault.

single stack on July 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM