LePage: The IRS is like the “new Gestapo”

posted at 5:01 pm on July 8, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Even though President Obama’s recently Supreme Court-upheld health care law imposes a whole host of ‘penalties‘ that most definitively are not taxes, or something, it’s just ‘easiest‘ for the IRS to takeover the administration of said penalties. So of course, the IRS is rolling forward with plans to begin implementing the health care law, which in turn requires that they hire thousands of new employees and rewrite a bunch of rules and regulations. Oh, joy (emphasis mine):

The Supreme Court’s decision to uphold most of President Barack Obama’s health care law will come home to roost for most taxpayers in about 2 1/2 years, when they’ll have to start providing proof on their tax returns that they have health insurance. …

Under the law, the IRS will provide tax breaks and incentives to help pay for health insurance and impose penalties on some people who don’t buy coverage and on some businesses that don’t offer it to employees.

The changes will require new regulations, forms and publications, new computer programs and a big new outreach program to explain it all to taxpayers and tax professionals. Businesses that don’t claim an exemption will have to prove they offer health insurance to employees.

The health care law “includes the largest set of tax law changes in more than 20 years,” according to the Treasury inspector general who oversees the IRS. The agency will have to hire thousands of workers to manage it…

But it’s not a tax. Yeah, okay, got it.

The IRS might be getting a head start with implementing ObamaCare, but during his weekly radio address, Maine Governor Paul LePage jumped on the Republican-governor bandwagon of states refusing to even start preparing for the Medicaid expansion, etcetera, before they absolutely must.

LePage said the court decision has “made America less free.”

“We the people have been told there is no choice,” he said. “You must buy health insurance or pay the new Gestapo — the IRS.” …

The governor added that Maine will not move forward the ACA’s insurance exchanges — the marketplaces where individuals can shop for health plans from private companies — until the proposed $800 million tab to pay for them passes Congress.

“With these looming uncertainties circling around this issue, Maine cannot move forward right now with Obamacare,” LePage said. …

“Even more disheartening is that reviving the American dream just became nearly impossible to do,” he said. “We are now a nation which supports dependency rather than independence. Instead of encouraging self-reliance, we are encouraging people to rely on the government.”

I can’t support the Nazi imagery — it’s perhaps just a wee bit hyperbolic for my tastes (and that’s saying something!) — but I understand the outrage. This is shaping up to be the biggest encroachment on personal freedom in America’s history, and if the federal government can take their authority this far, we’d be fools not to question just how far the American people are going to allow the government to go before insisting that enough is enough.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Remembering Ernie Borgnine tonight, a WWII vet who passed away today at 95.

A great actor… so underrated – he was the glue that held many a picture together.

I had the privilege to meet him once… working as a livery driver in L.A. – driving rich folk to the Beverly Wilshire for a big Christmas Eve party. My customers were drunk and rude and hired me for 6 hours but kept trying to extend me again and again as they partied and drank and I couldn’t be with my family, and then finally just disappeared somewhere in the ballrooms as Christmas Eve turned into Christmas and I was left standing out in the cold in the livery entrance with few other drivers waiting for clients who didn’t care if they overstayed their hire.

I turned to see a familiar face. Ernie Borgnine walked out to the drivers and shook each of our hands and wished us a Merry Christmas. I remember thinking what a thoroughly decent thing it was, and how it made my Christmas Eve a bit better.

R.I.P., sir.

cane_loader on July 9, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I refuse to comply. The bastards can come and get me. I am ready for them.

pdigaudio on July 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Of course Obama and his progressive brown-shirts are fascists.

As an economic system, fascism is socialism with a capitalist veneer.

And, given the incredible amount of racial animus that Obama and his supporters leverage, they are much more likely nazis as well.

iconoclast on July 9, 2012 at 1:19 AM

like I dunno, the draft, segregation, women not having the right to vote, that time when we threw all the japanese people in camps..
***
Ok, 1 out of 4, which I think is passing in public schools nowadays.

Throwing people in jail because of their race is something the European National Socialists did – though of course in their case it was to kill them. However I would agree though that this alone should prompt all people of conscience to consider the FDR administration to be an outrage and a blight upon American history.

That being said, the fact that FDR was a National Socialist doesn’t detract from the fact the current president is also. Nor does it excuse either man using the Constitution for toilet paper.

18-1 on July 9, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Oh yeah, obama is a nazi. Making everyone buy health insurance pretty much makes him literally hitler. Is that the tea party line nowadays? Cuz, wow. Enjoy your kool-aid, but be careful it’s not the cult mix.

triple on July 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM

In any dealings with the IRS, the citizen is presumed guilty and must prove their innocence. They are a fear-inducing power that very few would choose to oppose. They have the full weight of the government behind them. Granted, they may not have unilaterally executed people in the streets…yet, but the Gestapo analogy just isn’t that far off. I am more put off by the self-important jack-holes who always cry “Godwin’s Law” every time a Nazi reference (right or wrong) is made. Sometimes the effing shoe fits.

Extrafishy on July 9, 2012 at 7:02 AM

Long time, no see.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Heh. I’m still around, although these days I barely have time to check headlines.

fossten on July 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM

triple on July 9, 2012 at 3:26 AM

Your hyperbole is so lame it’s yawn-inducing. Kool-Aid? Really? Cuz, wow, that one hasn’t been done a bazillion times, or something.

fossten on July 9, 2012 at 7:12 AM

fossten on July 9, 2012 at 7:12 AM

As if the right hasn’t also worn out that phrase…

Seriously, “kool aid” references are so old and busted.

MelonCollie on July 9, 2012 at 7:28 AM

After reading LePage’s wikipedia entry, I have all the respect in the world for him. Unlike those politicians born to wealth who clamor that they didn’t inherit wealth, LePage IS the summation of the self made man born in dire poverty and abuse, willing to shine shoes and wash dishes for his sustenance rather than beg, a solid business man who actually DID invest in “foundering businesses” without requiring a profit in return whether the investment succeeded or failed, and now solid conservative Republican leader who began from the grassroots of city council, to mayor before winning his Governorship. May God bless his good efforts for America.

maverick muse on July 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM

maverick muse on July 9, 2012 at 8:02 AM

We here in Maine applaud the man but recognize that he’s up against well-entrenched special interest groups like the Teachers Union, SEIU, and all the statewide media outlets.

And two nominal Republican Senators.

Cleombrotus on July 9, 2012 at 8:28 AM

live up here under stupid dem control for decades then tell me how uncomfortable you would be with someone who speaks plainly.
the gestapo messed with more then just jewish people, they enforced a dictators (he really was one) demands on all the populace.

dmacleo on July 9, 2012 at 10:05 AM

LOL! I can relate.

yhxqqsn on July 9, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Looks like the IRS is finding a way to even skirt the ruling that states cannot be punished for refusing to expand Medicaid or for those states that will not setup exchanges.

This is bad folks: http://www.americancommitment.org/irs-health-care-power-grab-tramples-states/

gmerits on July 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Nah … much more like the KGB.

stillings on July 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM

I refuse to comply. The bastards can come and get me. I am ready for them.

pdigaudio on July 9, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I wouldn’t worry too much there, tough guy.
More likely will be the neighbors asking you to turn down the volume on your tv.
The bastards.

verbaluce on July 9, 2012 at 1:38 PM

My guess Obama already hired them. No one is checking. He would have to get them their 90 days before the court decision. that, plus the NTEU (union), will spread the bucks

I would be surprised if the jobs were not already filled, because they also pump job numbers

Last figure I heard is the new taxes/penalties plus surcharges total 2 trillion per year. I think the law does not specify the penalties have to be applied to health care.

Pretty good take. The AARP which lobbied for Obamacare, according to one ad, stands to make a billion off the new mandate The AARP CEO gets millions in salary

I can. Businesses that played ball with the Nazis prospered. The Nazis wanted business run for the betterment of the Nazi cause. At first humans who were not jews, but ‘burdens’ on society, like mental patients, mentally retarded, or mentally imcorrect like Jehovahs witnesses were eradicated. That is where Obamacare instersects the Nazi purification programs. The Left has defined Israel as the new ‘Jewish problem’ So far, obama has done a pretty good job staging the middle east to wipe out Israel, and still be able to say, Hey, it wasnt me

Hitler was up front about genocide. Obama, cowardly

entagor on July 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM

First on the list is the Preservation of the Constitution of the United States.

jpcpt03 on July 8, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Second on the list is that the way to preserve the Constitution is to follow orders.

PersonFromPorlock on July 9, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I’m comfortable with using NAZI imagery to describe these fascists. Obama is treating the Unions the same way Hitler did. The new Democrat policy platform is nearly indistinguishable from the NAZI party platform. Hitler’s peeps had brown shirts, Obama has Purple shirts(Gay for sure). Hitler nationalized industries, Obama has nationalized industries. Hitler encourage people to turn each other in, Obama launched fishy.gov, and attackwatch. Hitler encouraged children to spy on their parents to the State, Obama’s NEA encourages children to tell on their parents.

We haven’t gotten to the nasty business of the Reich yet, and we may not be expansionist, but the parallels are right there.

tom daschle concerned on July 8, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I totally agree with you. Many many many things that happend in Germanyny, as well as some of what the Soviet Union did, are very similar.
I cannot see the total violence, at least not for avery long time, coming here that happened there.
Bcs we have the 2nd.
But since there are so many americaans wiling to become govt dependents & since we have lost so much of our freedom already & the states do not have the ba!!$ to invoke the 10th, we, I fear, are already lost forever to history.

Badger40 on July 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

By the time this happens, we will be long past the point where “insisting” will do us any good. We should have been screaming “enough is enough” a long time ago (and it predates W’s presidency).

College Prof on July 8, 2012 at 5:28 PM

There are so many ‘Conservative’ Americans who are the FIRST in line to getheir share when it comes around.
Like unemployment, grants, food stamps, FEMA assistance, services augmented by Federal Govt $$ (high speed internet in rural areas, etc..),FILL IN ANY OTHER GOTV PROGRAM.
They justify it by screaming & whining aobut how they pay taxes & they’ve been paying all this money into this & that program so they deserve their share blah blah blah.
As far as I am concerned, those kinds of people are the absolute WORST threat to true liberty.

Badger40 on July 9, 2012 at 4:43 PM

The IRS is only one arm of the federal Gestapo!! The other alphabet agencies are just as dangerous to Liberty: EPA, TSA, OSHA, SS, FBI,DOJ, etc. If one has ever tangled with any of them, there is no doubt as to their threat to American’s freedoms!!

Marco on July 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Marco on July 9, 2012 at 7:51 PM

You are exactly right. This man went through hell.
Now Wayne & his wife are dead. They were vindicated in court.
But in the end, did they really win? Was it worth the price they had to pay?
The Federal Govt’s UNCONSTITUTIONAL agencies need to be ELIMINATED.
We are not free right now.

Badger40 on July 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

You are exactly right. This man went through hell.
Now Wayne & his wife are dead. They were vindicated in court.
But in the end, did they really win? Was it worth the price they had to pay?
The Federal Govt’s UNCONSTITUTIONAL agencies need to be ELIMINATED.
We are not free right now.

Badger40 on July 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

How very sad. All I can add is that evil people that did this to him will receive their just reward; either now or later.

bluefox on July 10, 2012 at 1:58 PM