Dear Speaker Boehner: Not helpful

posted at 12:31 pm on July 8, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Say… do you remember that spirited, roller coaster ride of a primary race we had earlier this year? That was really something, wasn’t it? Most of you had your own preferred candidate and you got out there and supported them as best you could. We had debates and press conferences and rallies and all the rest of the streamers and balloons that go along with such a battle. Good times.

But now it’s over, and it’s time to get on board with the final push to November. While some sour grapes may remain among a few of the faithful, party leaders know that the focus has shifted and everyone has to get on message in support of a win this fall… Right, John?

“No,” Boehner said. “Listen, we’re just politicians. I wasn’t elected to play God. The American people probably aren’t going to fall in love with Mitt Romney. I’ll tell you this: 95 percent of the people that show up to vote in November are going to show up in that voting booth, and they are going to vote for or against Barack Obama.

“Mitt Romney has some friends, relatives and fellow Mormons … some people that are going to vote for him. But that’s not what this election is about. This election is going to be a referendum on the president’s failed economic policies.

Even if that’s what you really believe, (and it’s not like I’m calling you crazy here) surely by this time you’ve learned enough that you could put a teeny weeny smidgen of spin on it, eh? And the fact is that people always want to vote for someone or something whenever possible.

Oh, and there’s nothing sure to rally the base like saying that nobody would really be interested in voting for Mitt unless they were his personal friends or family. And… Mormons? Did you really have to toss that in there? I think we can do a little better than that, sir.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

I remember when Palin and her supporters trashed the governor of Texas when he jumped in the race…and he’s never said anything but kind and respectful things about her & was one of the first prominent republican politicians (Leader of the RGA) to defend her in an interview (called her the face of the republican party) after she quit the governorship of Alaska.

See how that works?

Sheeeesh!

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM

I know some in the C4P group did. I didn’t and don’t recall that the Palin supporters on HA doing it much. After Palin decided not to run, I supported Perry. HA had many Palin haters, that’s for sure. Then a great bashing between Palin vs Perry but don’t remember it being about because Perry entered the race. I could be wrong, but would have to have my memory refreshed:-)

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Funny, I googled Palin trashes Perry and nothing comes up..:)

Link?

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Still top 5 .

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Suppertime for me; will check back in:-)

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM

Still not voting for the gun-grabbing totalitarian. Simple as that.

Dunedainn on July 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM

She brought in the Tea Party Patriots to meet with her behind closed doors. Why?

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

…to figure out what to do with “the get- along crowd”
leadership of the Republican party…besides…she’s not the real leader of the Tea Party …the woman who is a spokesperson for them *sigh* decided not to run.

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:06 PM

“But, as Ms. Palin continues to consider her own presidential bid, the comments could also be interpreted as her first overt attack on Gov. Rick Perry of Texas.”

So you’re interpreting now? LOL

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

DUMP MITT IN TAMPA !!!!!

Eph on July 8, 2012 at 6:00 PM

NoMittObama 2012

Preserve your second amendment rights.

Preserve your first amendment rights.

Say no to Mitt and Obama who have both signed laws to eliminate these rights and even here on this blog try to take away our first amendment rights because we disagree with the anointed one (Mitt).

Romney signed into law a law that literally allowed the sheriff to break into your home and confiscate all your guns if your license renewal for them expired by even one day. And yes you had to register every gun you owned and pay taxes fees on them. Some second amendment. NOT.

Steveangell on July 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

So you’re interpreting now? LOL

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Wow what a reach there top 5.

Sarah Palin took a hard swipe against her friend Rick Perry in a post-debate TV appearance, calling him out by name for “crony capitalism” for his effort to mandate an HPV vaccine for girls in Texas.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Funny that quote wasn’t in the article you posted…

Quit making things up…LOL

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Wow-with friends like this…!Romney can’t afford a couple of more weeks like this one.The MSM is already floating the message he is running a terrible campaign and can’t get his message on point.Given the state of the economy, and Obama’s incompetence he should be up by at least 5%.But when you have to rely solely on hatred of Obama to get your base behind you your campaign begins in a world of hurt.

redware on July 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Top five –

I did not say it was….

As you seem to have issues knowing how to search the internets….

Enjoy this too….

And the next time you claim someone is making up stuff…do your research. I know its hard but next time you won’t prove yourself the fool.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I thought this was germaine:

JAMES MADISON:

The first function to be served by the upper house, said the political theorist succinctly, was obviously “to protect the people against their rulers.” All the institutions of government must be so formed as to protect the people against their rulers: This understanding that the members of government were themselves the greatest threat to liberty and justice must never be forgotten, be defended against, because they had the power no other element in society had: the power to make the rules by which they and all others lived—to grant and withhold privileges, to create and destroy fortunes, to define the outlaw and the traitor No other person or faction or group had so much power. And even American politicians, as these patriots were among the first to know, had the capacity for great wrong, and even for tyranny.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

It started the day he entered the race allover the blogosphere including here at HotGas & the distortions were predictably absurd.

I was just tryin’ to make a point.

It’s over & as we say down here…politics aint’ beanbag.

*shrug*

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM

redware on July 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

How is this blog any different than the msm? We are going right along with what they want us to believe!

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 6:35 PM

Emotions are what got us into the bind we are now. Its the POTUS not you’re best friend. Why can’t some people vote with their minds? “can you make me love Mitt Romney” Good grief. Why would you want another person deciding your choices anyways? I think Boehner did fine with this answer. Maybe not too confident but it’s not up to him. It’s up to you.

RDE2010 on July 8, 2012 at 6:38 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Hey Sparky, maybe you should have watched the video from the link you posted.

Palin called out Perry’s chief of staff, not Perry. But she was right about the crony capitalism part..:)

Agian, quit making things up…LOL

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Hey Sparky, maybe you should have watched the video from the link you posted.

Agian, quit making things up…LOL

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 6:41 PM

You really don’t understand politics do you? If he was part of Perry’s administration it is an attack on his administration.

I know you have a real hard time with this consistent drubbing you receive and the outing as a near retard. It has to hurt but you should just start dealing with your shortcomings.

Hmmmm you ignored the Politico link.

I wonder why?

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Come on top five you can eek out one more “lol”. I know you can.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

The sound of crickets fills the air.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

you know mitt has to be in a world of hurt when erik “cnn” erikson is thinking about a 3rd party.

i see you remain obsessed about Sarah. wonder what would happen if she decided to go 3rd party. havent heard her refer to herself as a republican recently, so who knows. maybe you know something i don’t.

do tell.

renalin on July 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Funny, I googled Palin trashes Perry and nothing comes up..:)

Link?

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM

Palin’s quote are in the media…mostly on FOX.

Her supporters stuff is in the blogosphere:
Google GatewayPundit, Red State, Legal Insurrection, Ace of Spades,Michelle Malkin,WND,Free Republic,Atlas Shrugs (many more republican and conservative sites) & check their archives and read the articles/threads.

Look on Youtube…It was all there.

After her supporters finally accepted that Palin wasn’t goin to jump in the race…many jumped from one candidate to another.

I knew she wouldn’t run when I saw that John “Bhopal” Coale was funding her Bus Tour…but he paid for her PAC so I wasn’t surprised by the trashing…just disappointed.

Coale publicly vowed to do anything & spend anything he could to de-rail Perry cause he’s butthurt over Texas Tort Reform and Perry made Tort Reform part of his policy platform in the primary. Palin did her part to please her patron (Coale) and kept her FOX contract.

Again…It’s over but it did happen.

Funny how nobody wants to build a wall in the middle of a 1200 mile river (The Rio Grande) to secure the border now isn’t it?

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

do tell.

renalin on July 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Do tell what?

Talk about obsessive there buddy. You’re pathetic. I read the threads and you’re on here constantly throughout the day saying the same things over and over about Mitt. Much like many of the nistas you have an unhealthy preoccupation with him.

Much like IDesign you’re simplistic and foolish. Not much more.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

I already made Idesign look stupid…not that it was hard as it does a fine job itself.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM

CW, if it’s all the same to you we covered all of the Palin/Perry opinions long ago. This thread is about what Boehner said regarding Romney.

There is no need to replay the primaries. Gov. Perry dropped out of the race and Sarah Palin didn’t enter. Whether you like what she said/says doesn’t matter. Cain said a lot of things I didn’t appreciate, but that’s water under the bridge also:-)

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

do tell.

renalin on July 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Erickson…sad.

Perhaps he will ask Mitt to drop out of the race because he’s disappointed in Mitt.

I doubt Romney pays much attention to Erickson which no doubt upsets Erickson.

We need to focus on the objective, which is defeating the opposition (Obama and pals) at every level…in every state.

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I didn’t say I liked or didn’t like what she said. Idesign said she couldn’t figure out how to find where Palin attacked Perry…

I was just showing her the way.

I have to chuckle a little at your post. In general I have rarely criticized SP but boy you say anything against a nista they practically will claim you called her every derisive name in the book. Their M.O. is either intentional or there is a touch of mental illness…or both.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

What’s that old saying, “if the shoe fits wear it”.

DDay on July 8, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I doubt Romney pays much attention to Erickson
workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

romney doesnt pay attention to any conservatives. has no use for them.

romney is the embodiment of what is corrupt about the republican party. they have forgotten about the guy out here on main street. they govern in a vacuum in cahoots with the dem to keep their power centralized.

i hope people wake up in time. though i doubt it at this stage of the game.

renalin on July 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 4:36 PM

…to figure out what to do with “the get- along crowd”

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Perhaps. It doesn’t appear that it was helpful and brought division among the House members that were part of her TP caucus and those that did not join. The Republican members in the House have a Speaker and his name was/is John Boehner, not Bachmann. She was out of line in my opinion. I don’t approve of any Caucus, they are divisive.

But you are right in who the true spokeswoman is for the TP:-)

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 7:18 PM

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM

There already is a wall on it where the cities are. I went to Cideo Juaraz from El Paso. There is deffinately a wall on the american side.

It should extend the entire 1200 miles. You have to to secure the border. At least then a sea worthy boat is required that can still be tracked by radar.

We should also build a moat and have a no mans area where deadly force is used if you are there. That would secure it. That is required to secure it.

But no the American People have no voice. Why Congress is not approved by 91% of Americans.

Steveangell on July 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Ah now I get it….the reason Perry went down in flames during his campaign was because those tinfoil hats at C4P went negative on him..

Silly me I thought it was because he fluffed some of the debates and didn’t quite know how to handle the dirty warfare of the left (remember that “rock”)

Fact is he was pimped for weeks here at HA and began with high ratings but quickly lost momentum, not because of Palin but simply because he had been over hyped…

callingallcomets on July 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

the power to make the rules by which they and all others lived Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Wise words by James Madison. The Congresses seem to have forgotten his words for a long time. That excerpt for sure, since I don’t know any rules or laws that they have not exempted themselves from.
Shameful!

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 7:24 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:32 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I was just showing her the way.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Agreed.

In any event the candidate for our team is Mitt Romney.

I’m not going to trash him or his campaign and will do my bit.

If Mitt commits a campaign blunder…I’ll probably opine about it like most people but I’m not goin to cry over spilled milk from the primary & trash Romney.

I know he will govern better than Obama & I’m willing to see what happens.

I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt and since I know what Obama is capable of…this isn’t that hard.

The objective is to beat the democrats at every level in every race and to elect more conservatives in more seats.

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM

I doubt Romney pays much attention to Erickson which no doubt upsets Erickson.

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:12 PM

You may not find a lot of love for Erickson here either:-)

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

callingallcomets on July 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hmm…Gardasil…Trans-Texas Corridor. Seems to me that Rick Perry is no more conservative than Romney. I figured that since this thread has completely veered off-topic into a Palin v. Perry pissing match, I might as well through my own overpriced two cents in.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 7:28 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

our esteemed speaker of the house says that the only folks voting for romney are friends , relatives or mormons. your not smart enough to be a relative, so which is it? mormon or friend. friendly mormon or even a relatively friendly mormon could also be included, , i guess.

renalin on July 8, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Steveangell on July 8, 2012 at 7:20 PM

Let me know when your super plan solves Big Bend ok?

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:30 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Are you interpreting again? LOL

So now that you admit that Palin didn’t directly attack Perry, but now any attack on any member of Perry’s administration is a direct attack on Perry..:)

LMAO

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Boehner really has to go. He is the ultimate status quo, machine, inside the beltway, out of touch politician. He plays golf with Obama and has no spine. He has no fire in his belly.

I just dont get the feeling he has any real core belief system that he is fighting for….its like he read the job requirements in a book and does the bare minimum, without ruffling feathers or offending the cocktail party crowd.

To keep America from going over the cliff we need leaders with big brass ones. Even if we win the White House, its going to be an epic fight to put in place the policies that will turn this Titanic away from the iceberg.

This speaker wont get it done. Boldness is necessary and i dont think Boehner has it in his nature. He seems like a nice guy but not to lead the troops onto the beaches on Normandy.

Can we replace him with a Patton?

alecj on July 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM

BREAKING NEWS…..

New poll on Drudge shows Obama still beating Romney in swing states. Obama and his policies are the Devil you know, Mitt and his really unlikeable demeanor poised to hand election over to the worst President in American History.

Former Alaskan governor throws darts from the sidelines.

Looking great Conservatives, looking fine.

Better make a friend with someone on the IPAB Death Panel soon, we may need it.

PappyD61 on July 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I was just showing her the way.

CW on July 8, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Come on…you have to chuckle at my post? All I’m trying to say is that we don’t need to backtrack on old issues. You were bringing up old links that I’m sure if I wanted to take the time, could provide full comments on.

Your quote: “Their M.O. is either intentional or there is a touch of mental illness…or both.” tsk, tsk

Peace

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Ah, that’s too funny. Boner picks now to be honest.

Chief of timing this bright bulb is, no?

Wolfmoon on July 8, 2012 at 7:40 PM

BREAKING NEWS…..

Former Alaskan governor throws darts from the sidelines.

Looking great Conservatives, looking fine.

Better make a friend with someone on the IPAB Death Panel soon, we may need it.

PappyD61 on July 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Funny…and yeah…kinda scary

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:45 PM

callingallcomets on July 8, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Perry did in Perry.

You can not call the majority of Americans that oppose free handouts to illegals heartless and survive.

First of all college students are adults not children.

Secondly they break the law daily by remaining here.

Thirdly they are here illegally to steal the American Dream. That they remain makes it their fault.

Fourthly. Perry it is the taxpayers money. They do not want to give it to illegals. They want the illegals to go home. Sorry it sucks in Mexico if you do not like it there fix it there but do not make America into a Mexico.

Fifthly. Perry you are heartless to call those that disagree with you heartless. I would not call you that over a disagreement. But to call others that you disagree with makes you that.

Steveangell on July 8, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Incentive

“Every single state that elected a Republican governor in 2010 saw their unemployment rate drop…
In 2010, influenced by the Tea Party and its focus on fiscal issues, 17 states elected Republican governors. And, according to an Examiner.com analysis, every one of those states saw a drop in their unemployment rates since January of 2011. Furthermore, the average drop in the unemployment rate in these states was 1.35%, compared to the national decline of .9%, which means, according to the analysis, that the job market in these Republican states is improving 50% faster than the national rate.
Since January of 2011, here is how much the unemployment rate declined in each of the 17 states that elected Republican governors in 2010, according to the Examiner:

Kansas – 6.9% to 6.1% = a decline of 0.8%

Florida – 10.9% to 8.6% = a decline of 2.3%

Nevada – 13.8% to 11.6% = a decline of 2.2%

Iowa – 6.1% to 5.1% = a decline of 1.0%

Ohio – 9.0% to 7.3% = a decline of 1.7%

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM

PappyD61 on July 8, 2012 at 7:36 PM

obama 47 mitt 45, omg he’s lost the jet ski vote! ( distraught mittbot)

renalin on July 8, 2012 at 8:03 PM

For once, I agree with John Boehner. I have no enthusiasm for Romney either and think he hits the nail on the head (another rare occurrence) – the only reason to vote for Romney is that it is a vote against Obama.

tballard on July 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM

He’s not a fighter, but he will just go along to get along.

He should not remain speaker.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

Can’t disagree with you there. It’ll be time, the second week of November, to start conservative buzz about who should replace Boehner.

I don’t dislike the guy, but the time for sentimentality about politicians is over. We need fighters, guys and gals who will kick posterior and take names. We won’t have one in the White House; we’ll need the junkyard dogs in leadership in Congress.

J.E. Dyer on July 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Look, we’re not crazy about Boehner either, and these ‘wonderful’ deals he brokers, that end up with egg on our faces, That was a very mild commentary btw, that Palin made about Perry, who wouldn’t have
made it out of the primary in Texas, without her help, so then he
takes up her critique of QE 2, but then wings it, with that stupid remark about Bernanke,

narciso on July 8, 2012 at 8:40 PM

this guy is the perfect spokesman for the GOP 2012

james23 on July 8, 2012 at 9:10 PM

CW on July 8, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Oh, you mean when Etch-a_Sketch makes a remark it is NEVER what Romney thinks.

OK, got it. A bunch of weasels that can’t even recall all their twisting and flip-flopping.

riddick on July 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

bluefox is right
workingclass artist is wrong

SparkPlug on July 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Oh, you mean when Etch-a_Sketch makes a remark it is NEVER what Romney thinks.

riddick on July 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM

This!

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 10:08 PM

So people are supposed to be mad at Boehner for being honest? Why not be mad at Mitten’s for being so bad at connecting with voters even Boehner can’t bother pretending otherwise?

Buckshot Bill on July 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Romney can’t develop momentum in an economy like this?

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Romney connects with a narrow base of super-rich donors. Is that sufficient?

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

And obama connects with hollywood!

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Can we replace him with a Patton?

alecj on July 8, 2012 at 7:34 PM

The only Patton I know is Allen West.

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 6:04 PM

bluefox is right
workingclass artist is wrong

SparkPlug on July 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Thanks. I’ve taken the time to review the comments by workingclass artist and CW. My opinion is neither one like Sarah Palin and most likely take the opportunity to make snide remarks about her and blame her for whatever.

I don’t care for either one with their condescending remarks to the posters here.

Those that speak against Sarah Palin and or Gov. Perry will have a hard time convincing me that they are supporting Gov. Romney or any Republican Nominee. I don’t have to be convinced actually since I’ve made my opinion after reading their comments.

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM

I’m a loyal supporter of Mitt, and I’m neither a Mormon nor a relative. I’m going to do what Mark Levin has been urging lately and work as hard as I can to get Mitt elected. Here are my reasons:

Mitt is a square. I like that. Our country is becoming a dictatorship with Obama ignoring the Constitution. It seems to be getting even scarier lately if that could be possible. I think Mitt believes in the rule of law so will move us back towards normalcy, and right now, I don’t take normalcy for granted.

Mitt is skilled at saving failed businesses. Our country is, I think, a failed business about to go completely bankrupt. We need somebody who can look at the numbers and make the cuts necessary as Mitt has done for many years as a venture capitalist. I don’t care that Mitt isn’t “likeable.” I don’t want someone just because they’re likeable. I wouldn’t vote for Bob Beckel or Ed Rendell even though they’re both “likeable.” I want someone who can crunch the numbers and do what’s necessary.

I’m disappointed that Mitt isn’t a true conservative as I would have originally liked, but I now take a broader view and look at the choice as between a radical Marxist dictator and a centrist who will remind us that there are laws and a Constitution, and that our country is on the brink of bankruptcy. If we don’t have someone in the White House soon to remind us of these things, I don’t think there’s going to be any country left.

Burke on July 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Buckshot Bill on July 8, 2012 at 10:14 PM

This that Boehner said: “Mitt Romney has some friends, relatives and fellow Mormons … some people that are going to vote for him.”

Honest? The question put to him was this: [Speaker John Boehner] made the remarks when an unidentified woman asked during a question-and-answer session: “Can you make me love Mitt Romney?”

The answer should have been “No” period. If you don’t like Romney, that’s fine. Try criticizing Obama then.

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Burke on July 8, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Thanks Burke. Very well stated. I listen to Levin almost everynight and other talk radio. I’m sure many didn’t like Patton either, but he got the job done:-) Experience in what needs done to keep this Country solvent and Romney is the one as you say. If we go bankrupt “niceness” won’t matter.

Good comments!

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 11:48 PM

This clown needs to go!

WisCon on July 8, 2012 at 11:57 PM

He has already said that he will be voting for Romney. Concern about how Romney will govern has nothing to do with “The Primary”. Move on brother there is plenty of work to do.
VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

But there is a difference between concern and hundreds of comments with only one message: “Romney will be a terrible president and I hate all his supporters.” That’s obsessive.

Gelsomina on July 9, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Thanks Burke… I listen to Levin almost every night and other talk radio…Good comments!

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Thanks, bluefox. Hedgecock is my usual favorite, but Levin has been an inspiration lately to me first in the way he pounded Roberts without any Krauthammer nuance, and then also in the way he has been urging conservatives to get behind Mitt. Levin has his priorities right and he doesn’t mince words: We are in a crisis and we need to get the dictator out of there.

Boehner’s attitude (along with many posters here) reminds me of the teenage son who’s just been told to take out the trash. “Aw, gee, Dad, do I hafta?” We need better than that.

Burke on July 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM

You guys are criticizing Boehner for being honest?

…really folks? The man just can’t win, can he. Speaks volumes about his far right tea party critics more than anything.

NoStoppingUs on July 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

You guys are criticizing Boehner for being honest?

NoStoppingUs on July 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

So let me get this straight, NoStoppingUs, because I want to understand the points you’re making. First, you’re sticking up for Beohner for being what you term “honest” because he claims the only ones in the country who might possibly be enthusiastic about Romney are other Mormons and Romney’s relatives.

And, then, you use the fact that some of us are irritated by such a statement and feel it will lend towards demoralization rather than inspiration to criticize us “far right tea party critics” because we’ve been critical of Boehner in the past as a weak, crying buffoon pretty much ineffective as House Speaker.

That’s why you say the Speaker “just can’t win”?

Burke on July 9, 2012 at 12:56 AM

The new conservative coalition:

Anybody But Obama + Mormons + Car Elevator Manufacturers + Cayman Island Tax Attorneys

ZippyZ on July 9, 2012 at 1:27 AM

The new conservative coalition:

Yes, this is Romney’s coalition. The conservative coalition has left the building.

casuist on July 9, 2012 at 1:46 AM

The only Patton I know is Allen West.

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Allen West. Or Gowdy as second option.

riddick on July 9, 2012 at 2:07 AM

I’m getting really sick of these posters (from move.on?) bad mouthing Romney.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Romney made a conscious decision to cater to moderates and independents who tend to lean Democrat.

Romney made that decision. And one consequence is a certain lack of love from actual conservatives.

And in moving left to run for the Senate in Massachusetts, and then for governor, then moving right to run for president, then moving left again to cater to moderates and independents, he sealed his reputation as a slippery politician who will take any position he thinks will help him. A natural consequence of all that is a certain lack of trust from actual conservatives.

So when you get sick of people bad-mouthing Romney, blame the one really at fault: Romney.

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Yes, because in your analogy, Romney is the trash. Someone needs to take him out, which means out of contention.

casuist on July 9, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Yes, but you do tend to run across conservatives when you visit conservative sites, conservatives who do not heart Romney. I think Romney has his own sites that you can explore.

casuist on July 9, 2012 at 3:36 AM

casuist on July 9, 2012 at 3:34 AM

No, Casuist, actually not. That’s what the son focuses on, of course, but there are deeper perspectives.

But if your view really is that Romney, at this point in time with the election so close, needs to be taken “out of contention,” then you weren’t one of those I was addressing.

Burke on July 9, 2012 at 5:48 AM

Burke on July 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM

casuist on July 9, 2012 at 3:34 AM

I love analogies, even though they can be turned against the person making them and used to make him look foolish. Here’s another one. It’s getting cold, so Dad asks his teenage son to light a fire in the hearth before the baby freezes. The son takes the matches and begins to light the house on fire instead. Then the son turns around and demands, “Now will you give me a higher allowance like I’ve been asking for?”

Burke on July 9, 2012 at 6:39 AM

I am *FOR* anything that forces/nudges Mittens to start behaving like a fighter in this race.

Even milquetoast offhand remarks by John “No More Tears” Boehner.

Czar of Defenestration on July 9, 2012 at 7:20 AM

It’s like he was really aiming hard at his foot as he was shooting at it.

AlexB on July 9, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Anyone watch Fox News Sunday yesterday? The head of the RNC was on to talk about the Romney campaign and the host could not get him to talk about Romney. All he talked about was how bad Obama is doing. We all know how bad Obama is, I want to hear about how great Romney is, and no one has any idea what who the guy is. The panel said the same thing. Boehner made a good point.

lea on July 9, 2012 at 7:32 AM

If Romney really needs the libertarian swing vote, a solid VP choice would be NM Gov. Johnson, removing the only alternative candidate on the general ballot, avoiding the defeat GHWB suffered without votes drawn by Perot.

…there’s a link @ Drudge:

“With ‘freedom’ in fashion, is libertarianism back?”
By PAULINE ARRILLAGA, Associated Press, Las Vegas, July 7

maverick muse on July 9, 2012 at 8:04 AM

2008 “Fire in the Belly”
2012 “Milk Toast”

lactose and gluten intolerant?
blame the public, it couldn’t be the candidate’s problem.

maverick muse on July 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM

lea on July 9, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Romney has been hearing a lot of criticism like this lately, I’m sure, and I heard him in an interview last week where he insisted that he does have a positive program. He ticked off various items: 1) he will build the pipeline, 2) he will crack down on the Chinese when they manipulate currency and don’t play by the rules, and 3) he will encourage private industry and not be satisfied with 8%+ unemployment. These were all safe answers and didn’t excite me in particular, but it did show that he hears the criticism and is responding to it.

I tend to give Romney a pass on defining himself further at this point. I feel like I know Romney well enough already, and I don’t trust pandering from either candidate at this point in any case. What I do trust is that we are going over a cliff, that Romney is not a radical Marxist community organizer, and that he will return us to a greater state of normalcy which is desperately needed. Meanwhile, I’ve been up until now putting concentrated effort and money into supporting Tea Party candidates in the Senate and House where we at the grassroots level can have the greatest effect. I do also think, though, that we conservatives need to begin making more of a proactive effort with Romney as well, because this election looks like it’s going to be close and he needs our help.

Burke on July 9, 2012 at 8:18 AM

Repubs blow it all the time like the Washington Redskins.

Simply crapfully delightful!

Sherman1864 on July 9, 2012 at 8:45 AM

J.E. Dyer on July 8, 2012 at 8:39 PM

16 Trillion in debt and Boehner strikes me as not the guy to start working on it in any serious way. And I hold to that even if the election goes our way, in a big way.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 9, 2012 at 9:19 AM

Dear Speaker Boehner: Stop crying and be a team player!

We haven’t fallen in love with you either, even if you are better than Nancy Pelosi.

Steve Z on July 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Perry stabbed Palin in the back , so she fired a few shots at him. Then he shot himself in the head five or six times.

Perry had assured Palin he was going to stay out of it. Then his vanity got the best of him listening to flattery and he jumped in a few days before she was going to announce, basically killing her long game dead. She was not happy.

Boehner just spoke the truth, God Damn him. Hell of a time to man up. Actions have consequences. If you win the Primary leaving large number you need to win the big one so pissed off that they will sit it out, you’d better get out there and mend some fences, kiss some glutes in public and get the folks back on board. Having your stooges bully them cannot possibly work. They can just go in the voting booth and screw you with a smile.

SurferDoc on July 9, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Yup. You suddenly find yourself mired in contradictions when you talk about Romney. There is no effective way to express your support for him when every position he takes he has taken the opposite position at some other point. You can only argue against Obama.

casuist on July 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM

You can only argue against Obama.

casuist on July 9, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Sounds good to me!..:)

Dire Straits on July 9, 2012 at 10:44 AM

I have said it here continually since 2006 that the Repubs were not qualified to lead. At every critical juncture they impale themselves with idiots like Boehner. Give it some more time and McConnell will also say something so mindlessly dumb that independents will, as they have, vote for Obama–again. Oh wait McConnell already said something stupid–Obamacare will basically not be repealed. Justice Roberts did his part to keep it alive.

Remind me again when Pelosi as speaker of the House said that, aside from muslims and friends, folks were not going to vote for Obama but against McCain.

Here’s the real dirty secret in DC. The majority of both parties want Obama elected. They also support Obamacare. Why? Because it increases the gov’s control over the econ. You can delude yourself and think otherwise but there will always be a Collins or Snowe, a Boehner or Roberts to make it so.

patrick neid on July 9, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Boehner is, to me, a typical Political Party Jockstrap(em…supporter!). The entire Political Party model needs to be looked at by voters. We need to elect officials who are responsible, legally, for their deisions. We need to change laws so politicians are required to live under the same laws as the rest of us. Certainly term limits are desperately needed.

It’s our political leaders we need to be most afraid of; corruption in business, banks, wall street, etc. can’t exist unless we first have corrupt political leaders.

dahni on July 9, 2012 at 11:21 AM

So, what are the odds on Boehner caving yet again on the Bush Tax Cut extension? 100-1? Or better?

riddick on July 9, 2012 at 12:06 PM

NoStoppingUs on July 9, 2012 at 12:39 AM

You’re misplacing the blame. The “far right Tea Party critics” agree with Boehner and dislike Mitt. The people crying “ZOMG you’re not being helpful!!!” are Mitt loyalists, not tea partiers.

Carry on.

alwaysfiredup on July 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Dear Speaker Boehner: Stop crying and be a team player!

Steve Z on July 9, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Exactly. Whose side is he on anyway? Oh, never mind, we already know that. He needs to take that Republican jacket off that he likes to wear and show those that don’t know there is a Democrat jacket underneath.

Replace him, not matter who wins the election is my goal.

If any of you object, just tell me any legislation that Obama wanted that Boehner/McConnell/Reid didn’t give him.

bluefox on July 9, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Burke on July 9, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Hi, I ran out of time last night:-) I’ve listened to Hedgecock too and he’s smart.

Levin can’t be topped when it comes to the Constitution imo. I disagree with Mark tho regarding Bachmann. He’s got a blind spot there and I don’t know why. He likes Sarah Palin and he must have missed that if it hadn’t been for Palin, Bachmann would not have been re-elected to her seat. And Bachmann returned the favor by allowing her Campaign Manager to bash Palin. She never came to Palin’s defense. But there are many more reasons that I don’t care for Bachmann.

You are right that we need to support Romney against those that like to nit-pick and fail to see the big picture: Our Country!!

bluefox on July 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM

The Primaries are over.

bluefox on July 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

the country is not enamored with john Boehner

and he hasn’t given us any evidence of a backbone to change that

why are we stuck with him anyway?

audiotom on July 9, 2012 at 2:01 PM

He just told the world that he, John Boehner does not love Romney

Meanwhile, Romney is doing pretty good, although the Club is doing its best to undermine him.

What are they trying to do, lower Romney’s self esteem so much he will accept a Club pick for VP?

If Romney wants to win, he had better use a long stick to distance himself from these inbreds

entagor on July 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Carry on.
alwaysfiredup on July 9, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Sorry, I’m part of the tea party and I’m enthusiastic about Romney. He is the only chance we have to right the ship of America. There will not be a 2014 – there will be no country to save!

Bambi on July 9, 2012 at 2:11 PM

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 9, 2012 at 2:25 AM

The Primaries are over.

bluefox on July 9, 2012 at 1:14 PM

And……

The argument for Romney is that he’s not Obama. None of us has any obligation to pretend he’s anything more than the lesser of two evils. I have no duty to avoid criticism of Romney, and considerable duty to criticize him when it is on point.

And The Mitt sycophants want to quash all criticism of Romney, and say how tired they are of hearing that people don’t like Romney.

I say they should realize there are reasons for that, and get over it.

There Goes The Neighborhood on July 10, 2012 at 2:54 AM

John Boehner is telling it the way it is. What is not helpful is to pretend reality is different. While there are Romney fans, there are plenty of Americans with whom Romney is simply not connecting. With all of the failures of Obama’s Presidency, the polls should not show a tied race.

Memo to Romney fans: during the GOP primaries, throwing acolades at Romney, engaging in snarky attacks on opponents and quashing criticism of Romney may have worked, but it won’t work during the general election. The criticism you now quash just may be the informaton that the Romney campaign needs to recognize that a required campaign correction is in order.

Phil Byler on July 10, 2012 at 9:06 AM