Dear Speaker Boehner: Not helpful

posted at 12:31 pm on July 8, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Say… do you remember that spirited, roller coaster ride of a primary race we had earlier this year? That was really something, wasn’t it? Most of you had your own preferred candidate and you got out there and supported them as best you could. We had debates and press conferences and rallies and all the rest of the streamers and balloons that go along with such a battle. Good times.

But now it’s over, and it’s time to get on board with the final push to November. While some sour grapes may remain among a few of the faithful, party leaders know that the focus has shifted and everyone has to get on message in support of a win this fall… Right, John?

[Speaker John Boehner] made the remarks when an unidentified woman asked during a question-and-answer session: “Can you make me love Mitt Romney?”

“No,” Boehner said. “Listen, we’re just politicians. I wasn’t elected to play God. The American people probably aren’t going to fall in love with Mitt Romney. I’ll tell you this: 95 percent of the people that show up to vote in November are going to show up in that voting booth, and they are going to vote for or against Barack Obama.

“Mitt Romney has some friends, relatives and fellow Mormons … some people that are going to vote for him. But that’s not what this election is about. This election is going to be a referendum on the president’s failed economic policies.

Even if that’s what you really believe, (and it’s not like I’m calling you crazy here) surely by this time you’ve learned enough that you could put a teeny weeny smidgen of spin on it, eh? And the fact is that people always want to vote for someone or something whenever possible.

Oh, and there’s nothing sure to rally the base like saying that nobody would really be interested in voting for Mitt unless they were his personal friends or family. And… Mormons? Did you really have to toss that in there? I think we can do a little better than that, sir.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

You can’t make me love Romney but at the end of his first term, I really hope I respect him.

Fallon on July 8, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Ditto that x 1,000,000

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM

But instead Boehner gaffed a big one, if by “gaffed” you mean “accidentally spoke the truth.” For better or for worse, I think Boehner just summed up Mitt Romney’s campaign strategy.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I spent too much time trying to say just that.

Fallon on July 8, 2012 at 2:42 PM

We lack leaders in a time of trouble and that makes many people desperate to believe that someone can make things right.

Yes, and the tragic irony of our era is that the someone that some want to believe in is an ideological cross-dresser cipher place-holder like Willard Romney.

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

He has said he believes in progressivism. He has said he believes in conservatism. Given that the two positions are mutually exclusive, we can’t trust his words. Ergo, we must look at what he’s actually done. It is from this viewpoint that I am going forward.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Never believe a word a politicians says unless it reflects badly on them. Look at who their friends are, look at what they do in office and you will know who they are. The words coming out of their mouths should be disregarded entirely.

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Just shut the he11 up and vote for Obama already.

SWalker on July 8, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Rombots take everything so goddam personally. Get over yourselves, chumps.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:18 PM

I’m anything but a Rombot a$$hole, but I understand how the system works. It’s a 2 party system, that’s it, simple equation.

2 candidates. One wins, one looses. Like it or not, that’s how it works. I used to think that you didn’t have to be a genius to understand this. Then I read comments by individuals like you and I am forced to reconsider that belief. Nathan Bedford Forrest explained it best when he said, “he who got there fastest with the mostest wins”.

The logic really isn’t that complicated, but it apparently is beyond many here. Either Barack Obama wins reelection or Mitt Romney unseats him, there are no other possibilities. In order for Mitt Romney to unseat Barack Obama, he has to, in the words of Nathan Bedford Forrest, ‘git thar fustest with the mostest”. Otherwise Obama REMAINS President of the United States of America.

In other words, the basic logic states that any failure to vote specifically to remove Obama from office equal acquiescence to Obama retaining office.

In case you still can’t grasp it, it’s basic physics, conservation of momentum. A body in motion remains in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. Obama is ALREADY POTUS and unless acted upon by a sufficient sized outside force he will remain POTUS.

So, while Romney was not my first, second or even third choice for POTUS I understand with perfect clarity that it is now a choice of Barack Obama REMAINING POTUS for another term, or Mitt Romney replacing him.

Pissing all over Mitt Romney or the people who ether support him, or who are willing to vote for him to evict Barack Obama only serves to help Barack Obama REMAIN POTUS.

SWalker on July 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 2:45 PM

Well when you take opposite positions on a question in a span of 6 years, what other choice do you have than to disregard a politician’s words entirely? Yeah, rombots. I know. “Mitt said…” this, that and the other thing in his campaign. Wonderful. I’m glad to see you guys putting so much faith in a politician, a party, and a political process that’s failed you so many times before./

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Obots did not win Bark the election. His margin came from people who would have voted for a stuffed animal rather than vote for a Republican after the horrors of the BushHitlerBurton McChimpy Junta.

CorporatePiggy on July 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

OK I hope you said this tougue-in-cheek but it still made me laugh!

kg598301 on July 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Romney and his wife don’t hate the USA.

Schadenfreude on July 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I have long-held the same suspicions and there is nothing on the horizon to suggest that I should sweep them aside as a nascent form of tin-foil-hat paranoia.

SparkPlug on July 8, 2012 at 2:17 PM

It seems like there may be be a few more of us with these thots. We know the Establishment Republicans have no use for the Conservatives nor the Tea Party movement. That in and of itself should cause red flags to arise. And blowhart McConnell the other day, telling people to get out and vote, etc. The only reason he’s saying that, is to keep his own seat. He didn’t appreciate the 2010 election, so if I had my way, he’d lose his position and his seat!! Oh, and Boehner too!!

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Are you a moron or just retarded?

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

SWalker on July 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

Really? I’m not supposed to criticize Mitt at all? Is your innsistence that I shut up and vote for Obama if I’m going to criticize Mitt a reflection of your actual morals and principles, or are you just a cowardly douchebag who shits himself at the mere thought of another four years of Obama?

Nevermind. Don’t answer that. I already know.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

These men are completely insufficient to the task at hand.
sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Truer words were seldom spoken.

Cleombrotus on July 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

How about Allan West for Speaker of the House?

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 1:44 PM

oh hell yeah

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM

…I’d rather have crazy eyes for Speaker…she has what noballs Boehner is missing!

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

The choice could not be clearer. Wake up.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Romney and his wife don’t hate the USA.

Schadenfreude on July 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

True! That! 100+

Dasher on July 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Yeah, as a politician he should offer spin such as “Do you love having a job, keeping more of what you earn and choosing for yourself how it is spent? Then you will love Mitt Romney.”

but, Boehner just summed up the Romney campaign in a nutshell, you are either voting for or against Obama. Until the Romney campaign starts convincing people why they should vote for him as opposed to against Obama, what the heck is Boehner supposed to say? When you have so little to work with, these embarrassing sound bytes are going to happen.

Daemonocracy on July 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Nevermind. Don’t answer that. I already know.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Quite frankly, I don’t give you credit for the intellectual prowess required for knowing your own a$$ from a hole in the ground.

SWalker on July 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Im in the maybe camp. not sure if its enough or not. At the end of the day I think it will come down to if the economy gets worse, if Obama pushes some more insane stuff. the obamacare ruling was the first time i seriously thought about voting for mitt come Nov and of course Mitt fumbled the issue so badly that im back to the unsure camp.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 2:19 PM

A rocky road so to speak. I can only guess that perhaps what happened to Gov. Perry is happening to Romney. Too many handlers telling him what to say and he’s getting a mixed message. I can’t imagine the pressure he is under to not make a mistake. After all, this isn’t a race for city council; our Country is at stake. So, I’m willing to cut him some slack.

Nice to hear from you again:-)

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I’ve been around here since before the last Presidential Election. While I plan to hold my nose and vote for Romney, I still have to question the sincerity of some of those posters who came in during the last Open Regs, seemingly just to insult Conservatives who happened to have some misgivings about the Massachusetts Moderate. People who sincerely like Romney, I can understand, I think. But there were a bunch of posters who came in just to be Mobys.

Romney, Boehner, and the rest of the GOP Establishment need to man up, if they want to win in November.

kingsjester on July 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Are you a moron or just retarded?

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 2:49 PM

…as JugEars said on a late night television show…retarded!

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM

The choice could not be clearer. Wake up.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

I’m voting for Romney, Rick. That doesn’t mean I believe he’s conservative. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he’ll piss it all away in the first half of his first term. It just means he’s not Obama. And assuming that Boehner speaks the truth, I really seriously do hope there are enough people that feel as I do to put Mitt Romney in the Oval Office. I’m not sure that there are, but that’s Romney’s problem, not mine. And if being assured of my vote isn’t good enough for the rombots, that’s their problem. Not mine.

/NoTroll

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Here is what he could have said…

“Romney is an intelligent guy who has a track record in business that proves he understands what American businesses need to be successful and what is dragging down our economy. He understands how to build a winner and America needs that right now. Now I know there are those who have doubts about him, but for once let us doubt a little of our own infallibility. The perfect candidate does not exist, and the alternative has a nightmare vision for this country. I have no doubt Mitt Romney will at least right the ship and prevent that nightmare. A vote for Mitt Romney is a vote for sanity and for preventing a national disaster of epic proportions.”

Instead Boehner does what he does best…a really good Neville Chamberlain impersonation. Romney is not perfect, but he is smart enough to realize his political reputation will be based on getting the economy rolling again, and in order to do that he will have to at least gut ObamaCare and fix, or at least stabilize, our entitlement problems (which means national debt) until someone else better can come along to do what really needs to be done.

I mean it is a choice of getting into a lifeboat or staying in the water and dying of hypothermia in 20 min. Yes I wish it was a yacht with only beautiful women as the crew, but I want to survive long enough to find that yacht….and Romney is our lifeboat as a country. Yet some people still complain…”oh man it is only a lifeboat, let me think about this while I freeze to death”.

I don’t think ANYONE will be able to fix the damage done by Obama if he is given another four years.

William Eaton on July 8, 2012 at 2:56 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:39 PM

at the end of the day a person’s actions are all you can go on. they will say anything to get elected but what they do once elected us what matters. which is why I supported Palin so much her actions matched her words. She did what she said she was going to do. Mitt is an unknown in many ways. He was a progressive in MA and thus we must think of him as a progressive. however he is a flip flopper and there is nothing that says if he sees conservativism winning him re-election that he will not switch to that ideaology in a heart beat. I dont have much hope in that happening but at this stage its the only hope there is.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:50 PM

SWalker on July 8, 2012 at 2:54 PM

On that note, I’ll continue to assume that you are not interested in serious debate. Have a nice life, and don’t forget to regularly change your skivvies, Skidmark.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Let’s bash Boehner for being truthful once in a blue moon.

lester on July 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM

There was a LOT of truth in what he said.

I’ll have to give that to him.

PappyD61 on July 8, 2012 at 1:52 PM

I dunno…It seems that the speaker is sayin’ that folks will vote for Romney period no matter what the media and Obama say, which is honest especially after a tough primary.

Romney’s “weaknesses” are baked in and these won’t matter much because Obama is that big of a failure americans don’t have to have a crush on Mitt and conservatives will vote for him anyway to get Obama out.

*shrug*

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

…but, Boehner just summed up the Romney campaign in a nutshell, you are either voting for or against Obama.

Daemonocracy on July 8, 2012 at 2:53 PM

There’s nothing wrong with this. Where the Crybaby and Mittens fall down is that they refuse to say exactly what Barky represents; that the guy has not one iota of American sensibilities about him, has perverted our nation beyond recognition, has the IQ of a toad, has seriously violated the Constitution on tens of occasions, and generally hates America and everything America has stood for and holds Americans in contempt.

There’s nothing wrong with running on a “Not Barky” line, but one needs to just explain who and what Barky actually is. He isn’t just another American leftist lunatic. He’s a nasty, vindictive, third world retard who wants to bury this nation (and basically has, already) and leave nothing in his wake but smoldering ashes.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

You know who else embraced conservatism to win election? Bill Clinton. Ironically, I have to admit that I would take the horny hick from Hope over Obama any day, but just consider that I see Clinton as having more in common with Mitt Romney than with Barack Obama personality-wise.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

*shrug*

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 2:57 PM

I fear you may be wrong, but I hope you are right. Personally, I think Mitt Romney has gone way too far in taking the conservative vote for granted, but the only way to know for sure will be to actually hold the election.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I predict Bohners remarks will qualify for APs QOTD thread.

SparkPlug on July 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

The problem is that Romney isn’t good enough. He isn’t even close. When we need a Reagan, we get a watered down Bob Dole instead. Romney isn’t going to change the direction of public policy any more than Boehner or McConnell did.

These men are completely insufficient to the task at hand.

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Well yes we need a Reagan. However, do you really think we’d even nominate one let alone elect one? We had one in Sarah Palin and the Dems attacked her and the most all Republicans said “amen.”

We need about 5 Breitbarts and 5 Allen West and throw about 5 Trey Gowdy’s in!!

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

/NoTroll

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:55 PM

I never called you a troll and I’m glad that you are voting for Romney, he was not my first choice either but he is a capable candidate. We need to get rid of obambi.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 2:59 PM

yeap if Mitt wins I see it going like a third Clinton term which is better than a 2nd obama term but worse then a 3rd Bush term. Which gives me no hope for a better futre. We need a Reagan 3rd term.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I know you didn’t, Rick. Hence why I am engaging you in serious discussion. I know there are still some Romney supporters out there interested in actual debate. It’s the slanderous accusations of being “pro-Obama” that really frost my cupcake, and I’ve had more than my share of that crap coming from the rombots in the last couple of weeks.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

boogaleesnots on July 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Now go collect your pay from moveon. I don’t know who you are, or where you live, but Chaffetz has not sold out to anyone.
Good for Chaffetz he can be counted on to ask probing questions, to go after the filth that is in our doj.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I agree about Chaffetz. I watched him in the Fast & Furious Contempt vote and he was great!

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

We need about 5 Breitbarts and 5 Allen West and throw about 5 Trey Gowdy’s in!!

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

yeap after seeing a large chuck of the population fall for the brainwashing that the media and elites did to them irt Palin I have no faith in the ability of the population to elect a conservative.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

The GOP didn’t want the original Reagan either, despite what they now claim. They were forced into accepting him.

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Gowdy was great as well.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Boehner whiffed on that one. He should have just reworded the questioner’s meaning and said that he thinks Romney is going to convince the voters, win in November, and give the House Republicans the presidential signature they need for the repeal of Obamacare.

J.E. Dyer on July 8, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I agree that he whiffed politically big time. But I appreciate that we now (without any hope of uncertainty) know exactly what Boehner honestly thinks and also how his mind works.

He’s not a fighter, but he will just go along to get along.

He should not remain speaker.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Which kind of leads me to wonder if Mitt will have his “I paid for this microphone” moment before the convention, after it, or not at all…

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I admit that I had to hold my nose to vote for McCain last time, but I did. That should be enough for anybody to accept. You have stated that you will do the same with Romney. That should be good enough for them.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:11 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Until conservatives make a viable 3rd party deal, the GOP tend to take the vote for granted & split it between libertarians and fiscals..Tea Party and 2010 was a great start, but the primary was a mess and conservatives engaged in the worst cannibalism I’ve ever seen (Palin worship,Tardisil & The Impossible Rio Grande Wall,moonbases & Birth control pills…Bachmann,Cain,Paul,Perry & Santorum)

All of it fed by a gleeful liberal media,some arrogant pundits and talk radio pumping for ratings, where very minor flaw or mistake was magnified to the point of absurdity

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

These men are completely insufficient to the task at hand.

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

We need about 5 Breitbarts and 5 Allen West and throw about 5 Trey Gowdy’s in!!

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Reagan wasn’t good enough for the Establishment in his times either. Reagan was a politician and a man,( there is a distinction IMHO)but he was a rare combination of excellent politician and great man. He would be receiving the same hammering around here as Romney (I’m not saying that they belong in the same lineup). I grew up with Reagan as my governor and cast my first presidential vote for him in ’80. There are so many around here that have no idea what he had to deal with to get the things accomplished that he did.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I disagree I think he will be a more competent executive than both Obama and Bush.

William Eaton on July 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

How ironic that all the same people who made it their personal mission to destroy Gingrich are now telling us how awful Romney is. Sadly Boehner’s remarks are pretty accurate. Why is Romney the only one not to blame?

AmeriCuda on July 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Since Dire is not here:

The GOP will betray you. :)

SparkPlug on July 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

not only did they not want him but they have made sure over the last 30 years that no Reagan type will ever be in the position to make them accept him/her in the future. that was what scared them about the TEA party in 2010. they lost control of the picking of who gets to play. so from 2010 until now the elites had one goal in mind reasserting that control. And guess what they accomplished that goal.

the progeressives already won this election and they did it by controlling who suits up for the contest. now the only hope we have is that Mitt somehow finds out conservatism is the way to re-election. small hope but its the only one america has in her hour of need.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

I find the woman’s question creepy and offensive. Quite frankly, she sounds like she wants to be an Obamabot, but for the other side. I don’t think any politician should be “loved.” That’s dictator territory where the dude needs the adulation and love of the masses to prop up his ego. Exactly how Obama acts and his sycophants. These people make me wanna puke. Boehner is right and I don’t think it will hurt Romney one bit.

JAM on July 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

The media and elites did the same stuff to Reagan.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Reagan wasn’t good enough for the Establishment in his times either.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I didn’t say that Romney, Boehner, and McConnel weren’t good enough for the establishment.

I said they weren’t good enough to make any difference, even if they were so inclined, and their actions make clear they are not so inclined.

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Boehner is right and I don’t think it will hurt Romney one bit.

JAM on July 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Oh? The whole “it doesn’t matter, they’ll vote for him anyway” doesn’t bother you in the least, eh? To be written off as a statistical blip? It is precisely this kind of attitude coming from a presidential campaign and its supporters and surrogates that causes me to worry about what Mitt Romney may do after he achieves the presidency.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM

William Eaton on July 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Bush taught us that electing a CEO is not the way to go. We elect a President not a CEO. the running of a country is totally different than the running of a company and wanting a competent excutive to be at the helm is a recipe for disappointment. You want a leader not an executive. Reagan was a leader of men.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Agree with every word. The GOP is more concerned with holding onto power than with making a meaningful difference.

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM

The last president was elected by those who were “in love” with him. How did that work out?

pgrossjr on July 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM

WHAT! Do you mean little children wont be singing Romney’s praises. Young men won’t march in precision pledging loyalty to Romney. Won’t Romney have 200,000 Germans shouting, “Romney, Romney, Romney.”

Man am I disappointed.

mike3121 on July 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM

The GOP will betray you. :)

SparkPlug on July 8, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Ceck this out.

Schadenfreude on July 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:45 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

Are you sure about that? She had/has a hard time keeping the Tea Party Caucus that she herself set up in line. She named herself Chair and many are not pleased with her over that.

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

You want a leader not an executive. Reagan was a leader of men.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Yea, that’s working out real well right now. No business experience is NOT the way to go. Geez.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The media and elites did the same stuff to Reagan.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 8, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Not really. no one really knew what a Reagan term would bring. they were distrustful, they attacked him but they had no idea of the energy that a Reagan type would unleash and how he would wash away so much of the new deal and the progressive victories since FDR. Now with the information of what a Reagan type can do in office they have increased their attacks by 100 fold on conservatives that rise to any type power.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:23 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Yup.

Fallon on July 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Boehner is right and I don’t think it will hurt Romney one bit.

JAM on July 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Really…and what are the alternatives exactly?

The Primary is over

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 3:20 PM

This is the true sign of a mediocre public servant. Don’t make waves in order to hold on to the paycheck.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Obama is not a leader. never was never will be. he was at one point a good speaker. But he never led. Look at the obamacare passage. He was totally handsoff allowing the Congress to write most of it. America is a country not a company and treating it as a company is a recipe for complete and utter failure. Just look at bush’s terms in office.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Agree with this quote. Romney and the current leaders in Congress (with the exception of Ryan) are tinker around the edges kind of guys.

The Democrats get a moment in the sun and take three steps forward; we respond with non ideological mush, tinker at the margins and gain half a step. RInse/repeat and you have unabated socialsim gaining ground over the last so many decades.

rickyricardo on July 8, 2012 at 3:26 PM

So, despite Boehner making a promise of one page bills, one law per bill as well, under his management, the Highway Transportation Bill was signed into law. And what does the bill have? Yep, elimination of who knows how many jobs as well as small businesses:

President Barack Obama put thousands of small “roll-your-own” tobacco shops out of business, throwing tens of thousands more full- and part-time workers on the streets.

20+ of those in Las Vegas area alone are closed as of today according to the owner.

Nice going for the GOP House, working their asses off to stave off new taxes and create new jobs. I guess Ryan’s calculator broke once more and his “digital system’ (fingers on hands) did not go high enough for him to fully comprehend the number of jobs affected.

So much for “Come january 21st we’ll do things right”. They can’t do them right now, who in their right mind wants to believe they will past 2012. It will be same old, same old until next election cycle when they will need your vote once again for them “to do jobs American people elected us to do”. What a group of con men…

Too bad we have so many to still trust them after all these years. There are either new leaders in GOP Congress or we’re dead.

riddick on July 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Really…and what are the alternatives exactly?

The Primary is over

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

He has already said that he will be voting for Romney. Concern about how Romney will govern has nothing to do with “The Primary”. Move on brother there is plenty of work to do.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Thank you! To reiterate, I am stating my concern for Romney’s governing philosophy as a matter of fact. Don’t read too much into it, skidmarking rombots. Your fear of criticism betrays your knowledge of how weak your candidate is.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I just waiting for the speaker to say after the gop wins the WH and both houses of congress that their hands are tied because they only control 2/3rds of the federal government.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Yup.

Fallon on July 8, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Sorry…but I paid attention during the primary as too many folks climbed on one rollercoaster of absurdity after another yelping for the pandering of their fringy issue(s)

It was a mess an conseratives didn’t need the help of the liberals..Gingrich proved that at every debate.

Most of the primary was spent with people whining/pining for Palin & arguing about the most inane things instead of looking at policy plans…searching for their ideal comfy idol candidate.

Perfectly good candidates with good plans & records imploded because of the crapola flying during the primary…of which some was floated by liberals but a lot of it floated by our own side

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Gowdy was great as well.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Oh yeah!! They shut up the Dems, Ha-Ha I’ve seen Gowdy on Greta and he’s awesome:-)

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Yeah, I mean come on. Think of how awesome the world could be if politicians could just spin more often.

RINO in Name Only on July 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

I’m still undecided if I will show up come NOv. Thought after Obamacare ruling i would but now not sure. Mitt is the worse choice we could make next to Obama. So why bother is my thinking at this stage. but then again he is better than obama so that is where im at at the moment. knowing Mitt is better than obama but not knowing if he warrants the energy it takes to drive to the polls and pull the lever.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

No arguments there. So what are we going to do about it next time, assuming that there is an America left to save?

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Yep. I really like that guy. We have a great bullpen.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:34 PM

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

you think the proigressives left the choice to the primary voters this time around?

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Remember when the GOP stood for something and actually gave us reasons to vote FOR them? Rather than just “vote for us because we aren’t the other guy!”

FAIL FAIL FAIL

HondaV65 on July 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM

He really needs to be more on the attack as he was during the primaries. He didn’t have any problem attacking Perry/Gingrich/Santorum and the rest. (Except Rand Paul:-)

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:33 PM

I’m sure there’s not much I could do to sway you to my way of thinking, but I do hope you find it in yourself to stay engaged and fight for yourself and your principles until the very end. You are, of course, free to vote for neither Obama nor Romney, but the problem with that is we aren’t going to have a “President Neither” when the smoke clears. Pray for wisdom, Friend. We’ll need a lot of it to clear away the cobwebs come November.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Willard paid for the entire party, which is why you have establishment figures like Boehner issuing such ringing endorsements for the non-movement non-leader with a non-base, neither a regional base as Romney cannot carry the state he was said to govern, nor an ideological base as the 2 principal ideological formations of the GOP coalition are lukewarm to his candidacy.

Cue the gibbering Willardists to remind me of the existential fact that Romney is not Obama, or to call me names and stuff.

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Isn’t it strange that he attacked members of his own party harder than he’s attacking Obama?

Who told him to back off?

kingsjester on July 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Who told him to back off?

kingsjester on July 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Nobody did. That’s just how he rolls.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:27 PM

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:30 PM

agreed…although just for the record I was and am a Perry supporter…But will vote for Romney

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Who told him to back off?

kingsjester on July 8, 2012 at 3:38 PM

It’s July 8th people.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM

… engaged and fight for yourself and your principles until the very end …

To stay true to my principles I must vote for the man without principles, Willard Romney? Oh, the irony. Where is the criminal for whom I can vote to express my opposition to crime? Where is the drug dealer running for office whom I can support to register my disapproval for the trafficking of narcotics?

I’m not saying that I won’t eventually end up voting for Willard. I’m just making fun of your non-logic.

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Nobody did. That’s just how he rolls.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Well, now. Isn’t that…special?

kingsjester on July 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:39 PM

The one person I would have liked to see run chose not to run at all. It was downhill from there.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:41 PM

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Easy, that’s obambi.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Okay. But, why is he laying back on Obama, when he attacked from the get-go during the primaries?

kingsjester on July 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

PorkChop”

we had candidates who believed in American exceptionalism and who were very vocal about the devastation that obama has caused

If you don’t believe that Romney believes in American exceptionalism then you haven’t been listening to the man!
Romney, of all of them, believes America is an inspired country and that the American dream is not dead.

For crying out loud – read what he says, listen to him.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Bambi – I have listened to Mittoast and that’s the problem. When he’s fired up? He sounds like he’s on volume 2. There’s no street fighter in him. He’s playing defensive offense and its not working sweetie. That play only works if he’s AHEAD in the poles. He’s behind by 4-5 points CONSISTENTLY which means he’s not gaining ground, he’s not closing the gap, he’s not making any inroads so the money doesn’t matter. Everyone has heard his message vs. Obama’s and they’re still choosing obama.

That’s a problem for Romney. He’s holding but not gaining…….anywhere.
Which means LOSER in November.

Now I need a drink. Get me some Chris Christie porn.
Can we swap at the convention?
Will Romney have the humility to KNOW HE”S BEATEN in August and turn it over to someone else? Or will he go to the end and see his name forever known as the guy who lost twice?

athenadelphi on July 8, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Who told him to back off?

Romney holds to the maxim:”No enemies to your left.” Attack from the left and Romney either agrees in principle with perhaps a few modifications as on student loans or immigration, or he obfuscates wildly, as on the mandates issue.

Attack from the right and Romney slime machine opens fire from all sides. Romney does not heart conservatives.

casuist on July 8, 2012 at 3:44 PM

kingsjester on July 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Because Obama’s a gut fighter, and Romney’s not even in the fight.

TxAnn56 on July 8, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I call this man Bonehead because he is too far to the left.

But even Bonehead sees Mitt Romney as too far to the left.

Romney is dreaming or smoking funny stuff if he thinks he can win this election by people voting against Obama. That makes you unemployed every time it is tried.

People have to have someone to vote for. They have to be convinced that someone will actually be better than the current person in office.

Mitt Romney has not made that sale even to Bonehead. Yelling and screaming at us to get us in line with him the anointed one does not work. It alienates us. It makes us never want to vote for him. We are sick and tired of Politicians telling us what to do.

Mitt telling me I must vote for him because he won the nomination assures I will not vote for him. He must sell himself. So far it is no sale.

Mitt will lose this election. He acts like he does not even want to win it. He makes no attempt to win over those necessary for him to win it. He is just against Obama. Well so what. You have to prove you deserve the office and you have not done that.

Mitt is a L O S E R.

Steveangell on July 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Mitt is a L O S E R.

Steveangell on July 8, 2012 at 3:49 PM

We all better hope and pray he doesn’t lose to Obama. I really don’t want him to lose to Obama.

gryphon202 on July 8, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I give up with you guys. A nice circular firing squad is dead ahead and some of you run right into it full steam ahead. God Bless the USA, were gonna need it.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 8, 2012 at 3:12 PM

I’ve never thot of President Reagan as a politician. I’ve always thot of him as an American.

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:22 PM

…that takes ba11s doesn’t it?

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Boehner continues to disappoint

Koa on July 8, 2012 at 3:55 PM

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I’m sayin’ conservatives did it to themselves. Too many candidates etc. as stated above.

All Romney had to do was minimal strategery and weather it.

It was fairly predictable…but that is what primaries are for.

The whole thing would have been different with fewer candidates & no Palin games (Which proved an embarrassing distraction)

Mostly Romney was able to exploit the debate calendar to control the retail politics & subsequent fundraising (A main weakness in him and a real strength in a few of his challengers)

Romney is good at TV debating,though not as good as Newt (But Newt’s management imploded him and so Romney waited it out)

The only serious challenge Romney had in the record & retail politicking was Perry after Pawlenty dropped out…But Perry imploded with the early debates. Perry also had great policy plans but by then it was too late,The Governor of Texas had shot hiself in the foot

It happens.

If Romney debates Obama & presents his economic plan he will win.

Romney will be better than Obama…and that’s what counts.

workingclass artist on July 8, 2012 at 3:57 PM

sharrukin on July 8, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Boehner and McConnell are part of the Establishment. I’m hoping we have enough House & Senate members to relieve them of their positions.

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:58 PM

For cryin’ out loud, people. We CANNOT leave this up to Romney, Boehner, et al. The only people we can count on is US. If you want to beat Obama this fall, use the biggest weapon you have. It’s your wallet. Keep it shut tight for the next 4 months. Some of us call it going Galt. If you’re going to spend money you don’t absolutely HAVE to spend (e.g. food, fuel) you might as well send that money directly to the Obama campaign. A rising tide may lift all boats. But an ebbing tide sinks only the incumbents.

Between now and November 6 we are all John Galt.

Doug Piranha on July 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM

bluefox on July 8, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Were he not a politician he never would have been able to accomplish the things that he did. Of course the communists that he had to deal with were not in Congress.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM