Dear Speaker Boehner: Not helpful

posted at 12:31 pm on July 8, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Say… do you remember that spirited, roller coaster ride of a primary race we had earlier this year? That was really something, wasn’t it? Most of you had your own preferred candidate and you got out there and supported them as best you could. We had debates and press conferences and rallies and all the rest of the streamers and balloons that go along with such a battle. Good times.

But now it’s over, and it’s time to get on board with the final push to November. While some sour grapes may remain among a few of the faithful, party leaders know that the focus has shifted and everyone has to get on message in support of a win this fall… Right, John?

[Speaker John Boehner] made the remarks when an unidentified woman asked during a question-and-answer session: “Can you make me love Mitt Romney?”

“No,” Boehner said. “Listen, we’re just politicians. I wasn’t elected to play God. The American people probably aren’t going to fall in love with Mitt Romney. I’ll tell you this: 95 percent of the people that show up to vote in November are going to show up in that voting booth, and they are going to vote for or against Barack Obama.

“Mitt Romney has some friends, relatives and fellow Mormons … some people that are going to vote for him. But that’s not what this election is about. This election is going to be a referendum on the president’s failed economic policies.

Even if that’s what you really believe, (and it’s not like I’m calling you crazy here) surely by this time you’ve learned enough that you could put a teeny weeny smidgen of spin on it, eh? And the fact is that people always want to vote for someone or something whenever possible.

Oh, and there’s nothing sure to rally the base like saying that nobody would really be interested in voting for Mitt unless they were his personal friends or family. And… Mormons? Did you really have to toss that in there? I think we can do a little better than that, sir.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

Not-fake and accurate.

hillsoftx on July 8, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Love is overrated. Vote for competence.

myiq2xu on July 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Well, at least he didn’t cry when he said it. /s

Scott P on July 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Boehner continues to disappoint…

bofh on July 8, 2012 at 12:37 PM

How did we wind up with Boehner? At first I thought he was a pretty stand up guy but, brother, what a let down.

Big John on July 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Let’s bash Boehner for being truthful once in a blue moon.

lester on July 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Boner needs to have a Martini and then another before he can present a coherent message.

Does anyone believe that the Republican party believes in anything beyond its own existence?

rickyricardo on July 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

…John’s still drinking…isn’t he?

KOOLAID2 on July 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

So we’re mad at Boehner for being honest?

For once, he’s dead on.

newtopia on July 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Actually, I loved what Boehner had to say because it was refreshingly honest. The GOP punditocracy has been shoving down our throats for the past 6 years about how electable Romney is, and the truth of the matter is, he plain sucks.

He’s a serial hypocrite, a vulture capitalist, a social liberal, the forefather of Obamacare, and has the charm of salmonella. By making his statement, Boehner put out the unvarnished truth for all to see, and which has been backed up by polling: Romney’s votes are coming from people who are anti-Obama, not pro-Romney.

That sort of truth-telling gives Boehner and other Republicans who share such sentiments increased credibility among all Americans, and also lets the base know that they understand their simmering anger vis-a-vis Romney.

Right now, somewhere in Pennsylvania, Rick Santorum is kicking back and saying “I told you he had no credibility, and I told you that if we nominated him we’d take healthcare off the table. Good luck Governor Romney. You’re going to need it in spades.”

Stoic Patriot on July 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM

These Video (w/loud audio) Ads that start up on every page of Hot Air now are really pissing me off !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brewcrew67 on July 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Yeah, John, I wanted to vote FOR someone, someone I agreed with on 90% of the issues, someone I trust to at least fight for the reforms this country needs, someone to make me believe in the promise of America again. Sadly she decided not to run because she knew the deck was stacked against her because you and your ilk never would have her back and would work against her every step of the way. So I am left with Mittoast. And yes, John, I will be among the 95% that is going to be a good little solider, eat my gruel and vote against Obamao. But my vote won’t be FOR something. So John, don’t count on getting either my money or time. Those go for the things I am FOR.

Tarnsman on July 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

Bravo Spot on John! If elected Mitt may not disappoint.

sonnyspats1 on July 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I don’t know. Sounded like realism to me. Didn’t know Boehner had it in him.

Cleombrotus on July 8, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Boehner and Obama have a lot in common. Both are top dog in their respective domains but can avoid responsibility for results by blaming the other guy for blocking their proposals.

In fact, I’m not so sure that the country would be better off if the existing GOP leadership could act — I’m afraid they would be more concerned with generating good press than with passing good policy!

bushhog on July 8, 2012 at 12:47 PM

For the first time in my life, I’m proud of my House Speaker.

/s

A. Weasel on July 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Look what love and idol worship got us.

“Love” for any candidate should never enter the equation.

tru2tx on July 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

No GOP leadership, absolutely none. That is why the GOP elite like Boehner and McConnell will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Where do we find these idiots and why do we elect them, much less keep them in office? God Save America!

ultracon on July 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Romney will command respect and allegiance and he will bring this country together, if 0b0z0 hasn’t completely destroyed all hope of doing that. Romney will not only meet with his own cabinet, but he will meet with congress both sides to try to persuade them to come to a melding of the minds to put the country first.
Obama has not met with his cabinet all year, and for months during the last 3 1/2 years, but he does consult with jarrett and the czars which we are paying handsomely for.
Jarrett is the one who brought the communist (van jones)into the white house and knew that he was one since she said she had been following him all along and was so exicted to bring him in.
I guess obama doesn’t like his cabinet because he had to choose people who had a chance of getting through the congress – not his kind of people.
How did we ever end up with this comunity organizer?

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Boehner is correct, and I actually think that his remarks ARE HELPFUL, because a majority of voters still value the truth – AND, this is how most voters feel. It’s great to hear a Republican leader speak the truth for a change.

It didn’t have to be like this; we had candidates who elicited passion and excitement for other reasons than simply because they are not obama – we had candidates who believed in American exceptionalism and who were very vocal about the devastation that obama has caused – But, voters chose Romney instead. Romney is not obama, and that’s about as exciting as it gets. Romney must and WILL win, but not even he can expect voters to be overly thrilled about being stuck ONCE AGAIN with having to chose the lesser of two evils.

Pork-Chop on July 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

You can’t have it both ways Jazz. Principles remain the same no matter and drive behavior. I would say this statement of Boehners is based on the last 3 years of Tea Party pressure on congress. Remember ‘Do you hear us now?’

sonnyspats1 on July 8, 2012 at 12:49 PM

On this, Boehner is right. You’re letting your liberal shine through Jazz. Liberals worship men. The rest of us understand men are flawed, and our elected leaders should be constantly scrutinized. I didn’t have a preferred candidate during the primaries because I was looking for someone to make me weak in the knees.

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Well, we did ask for some refreshing honesty, not sure this was it.

Bmore on July 8, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Let’s bash Boehner for being truthful once in a blue moon.

lester on July 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Now point out the flaws in the man you currently worship as a god.

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

What else does one expect from a career politician that belongs to the Good Ol’ Boys Club?

ButterflyDragon on July 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM

“…and fellow Mormons”?

O_o

The GOP is full of halfwits, maybe I will vote Gary Johnboy or Lizard Man.

Bishop on July 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Boehner spoke the truth, and God bless him for it. The country is not going to be enthusiastic for Mitt Romney. But they may vote for him because of the train wreck that is Obama. By speaking the truth on this now, rather than lying about it, it shows Boehner to have some intellectual honesty and also helps him when it comes time for the Republicans in Congress to stand up to Romney.

Shump on July 8, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Stoic Patriot on July 8, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Geez with people like you and boehner how can we loose!/

I guess you can’t say the elite picked him!

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM

If John is so lukewarm, why didn’t the RNC back a solid candidate better than Mitt? Or, like last time, McCain? Or that time with Dole?

Obama whines openly. I’ll give Boehner half a point for whining while trying not to show it.

Liam on July 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM

ButterflyDragon on July 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Mitt seems to be the same club…

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM

In

Oops…

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

I think Romney has the potential to be another Reagan. I’m not saying I think it’s probable, or even likely. But the potential is there. I’m sure all of you older voters recall the eight years of the media and the democratics calling Reagan “dangerous”, “lazy”, “lightweight”, and “stupid”. Eight solid years of negative news coverage and eight solid years of negative opinion coverage. Reagan could have won a third term.

I don’t think McCain had the potential to be another Reagan. I think Romney does.

jaime on July 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

What exactly is wrong with that statement? We’re not electing a buddy, we’re electing a president.

cpaulus on July 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Then nominate Ron Paul and see how far this theory carries.

Bishop on July 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

rickyricardo on July 8, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Glad to see you didn’t miss the Hypocrisy Bus.

Have you really been paying attention last 4 years, right?

BlaxPac on July 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

jaime on July 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Unlike Reagan though it will be because he was dragged there kicking and screaming by a conservative congress.

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Boehner should have said something like, as a people we should love the principles of this country that have made it great and appreciate the efforts and work of citizens who make America work.

Boehner missed a huge opportunity to remind people that running for president shouldn’t be a personality cult. He should have set the road to rehab from the celebrity X factor people make decisions by.

That’s why I think he should have refocused that woman on the people (i.e., ordinary citizens) and principles of this country that have made it great.

INC on July 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

jaime on July 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

No more than the man in the moon does.

INC on July 8, 2012 at 12:58 PM

PorkChop”

If you don’t believe that Romney believes in American exceptionalism then you haven’t been listening to the man!
Romney, of all of them, believes America is an inspired country and that the American dream is not dead.

For crying out loud – read what he says, listen to him.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Well, it’s too late to primary Boehner out, but at least the House can still kick him out of the Speaker’s seat. How many Tea-Party-friendly House seats do we have now?

It’s time we put in place a Speaker with cojones who’s not gonna take anything short of a plan to balance the budget. Not to mention someone who won’t hesitate to consider impeachment for Obama and/or his gang.

TMOverbeck on July 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

And remember well, you Mormans, you’re just part of the club and need to vote for the Mormon guy as if you were all a herd of brainwashed Scientologists.

Bishop on July 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

For crying out loud – read what he says, listen to him.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Romney is not Obama, but he is still built from that mold too many politicians fall into. Men who believe they have the genius to solve our problems. Romney will have to be forced to step aside by a conservative congress to let Americans solve our own problems.

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Waiting for the cheesy walk back where he says that everyone can be Mitt’s friend.

theperfecteconomist on July 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Mitt seems to be the same club…

idesign on July 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Similar but not quite the same club. Romney’s club would be a bit left of Boehner’s.

ButterflyDragon on July 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Obots did not win Bark the election. His margin came from people who would have voted for a stuffed animal rather than vote for a Republican after the horrors of the BushHitlerBurton McChimpy Junta.

CorporatePiggy on July 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

jaime on July 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

YOU BET HE DOES!

I’m getting really sick of these posters (from move.on?) bad mouthing Romney. He is a great man – has done 1 million more for the economy and for jobs than obama could even imagine. He has lived an exemplary life, has supported his wife in her terrible illnesses, has raised a great family, has donated more to charity and his church than all the dems who are in office, or running for office ever thought of.
Don’t tell me he is vanilla, I think he is what we need and I intend to vote for him with my head up and a paryer in my heart that the idiots amongst us will see the value in a man who rolls up his sleeves (and not for golf) and gets to work and cleans the darn country up.
He also won’t be a sickophant for hollyweird and the lame stream media.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Well, as Milton Friedman once said:

“People have a great misconception in this way, they think way they solve things by electing the right people. Its nice to elect the right people, but that isn’t the way you solve them. The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right things!”

PackerBronco on July 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

For crying out loud – read what he says, listen to him.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

I’ve tried. Have you ever heard the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons?

That’s what I hear.

ButterflyDragon on July 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

Geez with people like you and boehner how can we loose!/

I guess you can’t say the elite picked him!

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Au contraire. Simply take a look at the list of insider endorsements.

Stoic Patriot on July 8, 2012 at 1:08 PM

For crying out loud – read what he says, listen to him.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

True, Bambi, but in the end, a good chunk of the populace *will* vote for Romney because he isn’t the incumbent.

That being said, Romney wasn’t my first choice to carry the GOP banner..I don’t consider him to be Reagan Redeux, or a prominent Conservative on every nuanced issue.

If a person of that mold were to step forward…note to the Paulbots & Gary Johnson barking Seals on here, not those two train-wrecks.

I think we should consider 2012 as fighting a holding action, then work on building to that level Congress especially the Senate. After that work on 2016 Presidential race with a more Reagan-minded WH team.

BlaxPac on July 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM

Let’s bash Boehner for being truthful once in a blue moon.

lester on July 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Now point out the flaws in the man you currently worship as a god.

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Seeking compromise with GOP. (aka being a pussy)

Obama: Well, let’s figure out a way we can work together.

GOP: We want you to fail.

Obama: I’m sure if we talk we can work out a plan to compromise.

GOP: Yes, and that plan should have a single item on agenda: You should fail.

Obama: That’s not nice. But let’s talk…

Rinse, repeat for more than three years.

lester on July 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Jazz,

I don’t know what you want but the speaker is 100% correct with his statement. Not many people besides the die hard Mitt weridos like Mitt at all. In fact many like myself can’t stand the man and the only reason we may pull the lever for him comes Nov is because he is running against Obama. If Obamacare wasn’t an issue, if Obama wasn’t an out and out marxist I doubt Mitt would stand a chance in hell of winning.

Mitt will never ever be loved by the majority of AMerica. they might vote for him come Nov but that vote is based 100% on Obama being the other choice not on Mitt.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

What, Jazz, Zero doesn’t lie enough for 10 people, you need more?

Eren on July 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM

We aren’t supposed to “love” our politicians. That’s not what it’s all about. In any event, this election is nothing but:

Barky versus America

anyway. Nothing else matters very much.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 8, 2012 at 1:12 PM

Boehner doesn’t like Romney?

Good.

HB3 on July 8, 2012 at 1:13 PM

For crying out loud – read what he says, listen to him.

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

Why would anyone in their right mind listen to what Mitt says? He changes what he says from day-to day depending on the politcal winds of the day. the only reason I can find to possibly vote for the man is that he isn’t obama.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Wrong. As wrong as can be. This election is a referendum on the very existence of America, not just Barky’s third world, retarded, math-illiterate economic destruction.

The crybaby is an idiot who needs to be tossed out of leadership, already. He’s a disaster at a time when America is on the precipice (to be overly optimistic about our situation).

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 8, 2012 at 1:15 PM

lester on July 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Cute and evasive. Just what I would expect.

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Do you suppose that at home, Boehner answers “Why yes, honey, that dress does make you look fat”?

Hint to JB – there are better ways to convey the same information without inflicting the hurt.

bofh on July 8, 2012 at 1:16 PM

TMOverbeck on July 8, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I agree. Marsha Blackburn or Trey Gowdy?

Flora Duh on July 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

After that work on 2016 Presidential race with a more Reagan-minded WH team.

BlaxPac on July 8, 2012 at 1:10 PM

the last 20 odd years show that the elites will never allow a Reaganite to come into power. They in both parties have done everything possible to reverse what Reagan did. The progressives control the direction of the country and conservatives will be destroyed if they seek to undermine that power structure.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:18 PM

he started out correctly. he should have expanded on the theme…that precisely what’s wrong with this country is that people fall in love with pols…i.e. can you say cult of personality?

it would have been a hoot if he’d said, no one’s going to be fainting. A nation of fainters is not what we need

r keller on July 8, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Don’t know whch I hate more, Romney or Boehner. I do know that I hate Obamalamadingdong the most, though. I also am one of those that wanted a lady that none of the rest of the Good Old Boys were willing to support. SHE at least stood and continues to stand tall for CONSERVATISM! Poor Ronnie is joining our founding fathers in doing propeller spins in his grave!

Vntnrse on July 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

ROFLOL. What conservative congress are you talking about. They approved the continuing resolutions with no real spending cuts. What groundwork did they lay to start cutting government other than voting for large cuts in the military. So let’s look at what they are realistically.
1. Not fiscally conservative
2. Not small government conservative
3. Not National Defense conservative

chemman on July 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

ButterflyDragon on July 8, 2012 at 1:03 PM

agreed which means We will get a third clinton term with Mitt. Still better than a second obama term not by much but a little better.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

I love how one poster above refers to Romney as a “vulture capitalist”? What the hell are you talking about?

The fact that Romney was a venture capitalist (and a very good one, according to reports) is one of his strongest points.

The fact that Romney was a venture capitalist means that he understands competition, productivity, efficiency, profitability and the fact that choices have consequences. He also played a pivotal role in turning around the Salt Lake Winter Olympics Committee and was the governor a very liberal state.

I would take him ANY DAY over the community organizer in chief, or Newt Gingrich or Santorum or any of the other crappy politicians commanding the national stage now.

furytrader on July 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

When are Republicans going to learn?

You cant just go around telling people the truth!

Spliff Menendez on July 8, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The moderates got exactly the candidate they wanted — again.

And all they do is complain about it — again.

logis on July 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Vntnrse on July 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

yeap same here

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

===============================================================

Precisely so!!

canopfor on July 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Yep.

Bmore on July 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Obama: Well, let’s figure out a way we can work together. I won.

GOP: We want you to fail.

Obama: I’m sure if we talk we can work out a plan to compromise. You made this mess, now get out of the way so I, with my superior intellect, can fix it.

GOP: Yes, and that plan should have a single item on agenda: You should fail.

Obama: That’s not nice. But let’s talk… My brilliant ideas aren’t working, and it’s all your fault.

lester on July 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Left Coast Right Mind on July 8, 2012 at 1:26 PM

furytrader on July 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

what you see as a plus the vast majority sees as a negative. and while you may like the thought of being led by a wall streeter most of the nation shrinks from the idea. they rightly see the colusion of DC and Wall Street as the cause of the majority of our problems today.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

1. Not fiscally conservative
2. Not small government conservative
3. Not National Defense conservative

chemman on July 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Republicans get pushed into the continuing resolutions because they know that the democratics and little Bammie will go to shutdown if necessary, confident that the old media will portray Republicans as the bad guys.

Republicans lose the shutdown game.

slickwillie2001 on July 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

The moderates got exactly the candidate they wanted — again.

And all they do is complain about it — again.

logis on July 8, 2012 at 1:24 PM

so true. A pox on the moderates

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:28 PM

“I won.” Enough said about 0. I’m glad he is failing. His ideas for the country run completely counter to mine. I will dance when he is gone. Romney may not have been my choice, but even he, is leaps and bounds better than 0.

Bmore on July 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM

If you think the presidency isn’t important, just wait until you find out all the things that 0b0z0 has done around congress, under the table (as pivan said) and with the unions. Now we have the UN wanting to tax us, do you think obama won’t support a UN tax on the wealthy?
We don’t have a government or a congress, if obama and his puppet masters – jarrett and soros pulling the strings. We have to get rid of both of them.
Just wait until he gets another 4 years (of vactions, golf, fund raisers) without having to worry about being reelected and just see what he will do.
He doesn’t care about the constitution and congress. He even said he would go around them if they didn’t/don’t agree with his policies. What about putting his idiots in place without congressional approval, even when they were in session?
My gosh, we have to wake up and boehner is a joke!

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Romney’s skill is being organized. It’s not being ideological. That’s why Ryan is such a good fit for him as his VP.

That being said, it’s going to be Jindal, right?

cpaulus on July 8, 2012 at 1:30 PM

Actually, Jazz, I like this answer. He’s drawing a contrast to Obama and the personal hagiography he relies on. He’s subtly pointing out that people loved Obama in 2008, and look where that got us.

Boehner is right — Romney’s job isn’t to make us love him. It’s to provide an alternative to the guy whose only apparent ability is to make people love him without reason.

Caiwyn on July 8, 2012 at 1:31 PM

furytrader on July 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Since I’m the one who did so, I’m more than happy to respond.

You can take a look at either Rick Perry or Newt Gingrich’s attacks on Romney in the primary. You can specifically take a look at the case of AmPad (American Pad & Paper), which Obama is currently using in campaign ads to beat Romney senseless in the swing states (he has one ad about workers who built a stage just so management could use it to announce they were fired).

Part of being a “venture” capitalist supposedly involves risk-taking, which means that things can go sour and you can lose money. But funny enough, when companies went belly-up, Romney still got out of it making a killing by firing the workers and selling off the assets. Heads he wins, tails he wins. That’s a rather tidy arrangement, don’t you think? And the “Outsourcer-in-Chief” is not something Romney’s going to be able to live down easily, either. Nor will his comments about being “severely” conservative, or liking being able to fire people, or not caring about the very poor.

That doesn’t make him a great venture capitalist. It makes him a jerk.

He … was the governor a very liberal state.

That is not a selling point.

That you would take Romney over Gingrich or Santorum speaks volumes about how “conservative” you really are. Don’t worry, if Romney loses, you’ll always have Huntsman in 2016!

Stoic Patriot on July 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Republicans lose the shutdown game.

slickwillie2001 on July 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Republicans get pushed into because they are chicksh!ts. They are afraid of the media, they are afraid they will get the blame so by doing nothing they allow the dems and Obama to control the agenda and are seen as non believers in there own campaign words.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

furytrader on July 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM

Yah, me too!

Bambi on July 8, 2012 at 1:33 PM

Rinse, repeat for more than three years.

lester on July 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

You have nancy pelousy on speakerphone again.

VegasRick on July 8, 2012 at 1:34 PM

This Boehner has been useless for some time and is going downhill from there.

VorDaj on July 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Republicans lose the shutdown game.

slickwillie2001 on July 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I am not sure it is worth responding to chemman. Seems to me he is like Honda. He gets joy out of life by peeing in everyone’s cereal.

Republicans could win a shutdown standoff though. However, establishment Republicans (like Romney) will never have the testicular fortitude to stand by a prolonged shutdown. A prolonged shutdown is a winner in the long run because Americans would figure out that shutting down large chunks of the government will have just about no impact on their lives. In fact the impact may end up being positive as regulators stop knocking on their doors and they can get on with living their lives as they see fit.

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I’ve been limited to voting AGAINST someone, after the 1984 election.

Reagan was the last President that I believed in and voted for.

OhEssYouCowboys on July 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Republicans lose the shutdown game.

slickwillie2001 on July 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM

Bullsh!t. The GOP only loses because they set out to lose. If the dems want to shut down the feral government, then let them. The downgrade on our debt was totally Barky’s. He demanded it. It had nothing to do with the debt-limit, since the Treasury had more than enough cash coming through to service the debt. But the GOP let Barky demand a downgrade for US debt and then they let the Indonesian Imbecile blame it on them. The GOP are idiots. If they don’t bother standing for anything then they’ll lose everything.

And ObamaScare should have been repealed as the deal for any raise in the debt-limit. But, not only couldn’t the Crybaby and GOP have the INTELLIGENCE to do that, they didn’t do anything but fork over the citizens’ money to Barky and the dems to waste and then blame the GOP for.

The Crybaby and his leaderhip all have to go. THey are the worst. THey should have been tossed in March 2011, at the latest.

(And I haven’t even said anything about the GOP turning around and stabbing the people in the back who had just elected them in 2010 with that near-criminal lame duck session – the Senate GOP, at least)

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Then nominate Ron Paul and see how far this theory carries.

Bishop on July 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I thought his point had merit until you said that. Kind blew the doors off it.

Axe on July 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

What a fantastically idiotic thing to say for Boehner.

bhj on July 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

cpaulus on July 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Nothing inherently wrong except if you have someone on your sales team selling a product do you want them to say:

“Well, yes our product is has its supporters, but you probably won’t love it” during the sales effort?

Really? Boehner claims to be “just a politician” and then he makes one of the stupidest political statements of this campaign so far. He fails to qualify for his own appellation.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

NotCoach on July 8, 2012 at 1:35 PM

couldn’t agree more. Only those that think Big government is the answer are afraid of a government shutdown. Just the fact that they think it will be this big negative tells anyone who is listening that those are not small government conservatives.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:37 PM

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Indeed. And as long as this is the case I’m not confident they’ll balance the budget or reform entitlements even if they have congress and the WH.

Kataklysmic on July 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Lets contrast!

July 12, 2011, 9:00 AM
How Can We Not Love Obama?
**************************

Because like it or not, he is all of us

canopfor on July 8, 2012 at 1:38 PM

It was a very clumsy statement but he hit on a truth: we should try hard not to love our leaders. Big Brother required that you love him, at any cost, even your humanity.

thebrokenrattle on July 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Everyone on here who thinks Boehner was “telling the truth” is completely blind. Seriously people? Boehner! You are defending the most linguini, capitulating noodle that congress has ever seen. This guy has done nothing for us and has given Obama EVERYTHING. If anyone is to blame for the debt crisis and a do nothing congress, it’s Boehner!!!

“some mormons” geez, what a RINO ass. For reals. This is like Mccain’s 100 year old bigot mom spouting off her mormon hating mouth. Or MAMA Bush telling Palin to go back to Alaska.

Rino’s need to keep their cake holes shut or face the voters wrath.

It’s time the tea party take over and give Boehner the boot. Someone (like Bachman) needs to start a coup from the inside. SOON.

I am tired of the crying orange

johnnyboy on July 8, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Then nominate Ron Paul and see how far this theory carries.

Bishop on July 8, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Ron Paul would do about as well as Mitt is doing in the polls at this stage. Not a big fan of Paul but I would have about as much confidence in my vote for Paul as Mitt. Neither are Obama and that might be enough to push either over the finish line.

unseen on July 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Meanwhile……………………….

Beware the cult of Obama
March 29, 2009

canopfor on July 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Boehner washed out of the Navy after only 6 weeks. How the hell did he ever get to be speaker?

VorDaj on July 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Stoic Patriot on July 8, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Thanks, I don’t want Huntsman in 2016, unless it was his father.
You realize that hillary will be running in 2016 (but I guess that’s who you want in the white house).

Unless we can establish the American system in the next 4 years hillary will take over because all the women (I’m one, but will not vote for a woman, just because she’s a woman) will want a woman in office. So we better make it now, and we better make it good.
And for the poster above, bishop, (kind of a misnomer?) are the conservative Mormons supposed to run out and vote for the man who held up the bill in Illinois that would charge a Dr to give live saving service to a baby born of a botched abortion? The man who allowed them to put the born alive baby in a closet until they died so no one could hear them crying? The man who has all along supported gay marriage? Is that the man you think we should vote for?
Are you nuts?