Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on July 7, 2012 by Allahpundit

As the Obama campaign and its allies continue to spend millions of dollars casting Mitt Romney as an “outsourcing pioneer” — a message that could cut to the very core of his record as a businessman — some Republicans are beginning to grumble that their nominee is making the classic mistake of modern politics in letting the attacks go unanswered

The Romney campaign’s response so far has been muted. The campaign has pushed back against Obama’s attacks largely through press releases and dismissive comments, but they have yet to invest serious ad money to directly combat the hardening narrative.

It’s a move that has left some in the Republican elite, already displeased with the campaign’s flat-footed response to the Obamacare ruling, confused. Several have noted that this is how John Kerry lost in 2004 — by waiting too long to start debunking an opposition message that undermined a key part of his record (in his case, his status as a Vietnam veteran).

***

Romney can’t change his record, and Obamacare won’t stop being an issue. But could Romney at least partially reconcile the two by admitting that Romneycare was a bad idea?

It would certainly make Romney’s case more consistent; he could promise to end Obamacare without also having to explain himself. He would also bring his position in line with that of most Republican voters. But it might also be an unmitigated disaster, the most damaging flip-flop ever for a candidate known to change positions.

In the end, it’s almost impossible to imagine Romney would do it. When he talks about health care, there’s always a certain bravado — he has said he just can’t wait to engage Barack Obama in one-on-one debate over health care — that conceals the weakness of his position. He’s come too far to back down now, and odds are he will win or lose without ever admitting that Romneycare was the wrong thing to do.

***

[W]hat are voters to think when they hear the GOP nominee say, as he did yesterday to CBS’s Jan Crawford, “As long as I continue to speak about the economy, I’m going to win”? That they’re dopes who don’t know the economy’s bad, but as long as the Romney campaign keeps instructing them that it is bad, they’ll react correctly and vote the incumbent out of office?

The economy is of course important. But voters want to hear what Romney is going to do about the economy. He can “speak about” how bad the economy is all he wants—though Americans are already well aware of the economy’s problems—but doesn’t the content of what Romney has to say matter? What is his economic growth agenda? His deficit reform agenda? His health care reform agenda? His tax reform agenda? His replacement for Dodd-Frank? No need for any of that, I suppose the Romney campaign believes. Just need to keep on “speaking about the economy.”

***

Presidential races once measured by the hundreds of millions of dollars are now gauged by the billion. That shift has prompted hand-wringing, particularly among Obama supporters, that lackluster funding could doom the campaign. But the heavy emphasis on fundraising masks one key fact: Money means less in a presidential race than in its down-ballot cousins, at least when so much of it is sure to be spent…

“Money has a lot more impact in a race where there isn’t a lot of information out there,” said Kristen Soltis, a GOP consultant. “If I’m running against you for dogcatcher and you can outspend me 2- or 3-to-1, that’s a problem. But … it’s highly unlikely there will be many voters at the end confused about what Barack Obama believes, what Mitt Romney believes.”…

Messages also are more tightly controlled by the candidates themselves — a problem for outside groups that can’t legally coordinate with them. That dilemma could be a particular concern to Republicans, because their better-funded outside group apparatus will likely spend more on the general election than Romney himself.

***

“Obamacare cuts Medicare — cuts Medicare — by approximately $500 billion,” Mr. Romney has told audiences.

That is a reprise of Republicans’ mantra of the 2010 midterm elections, which gave them big gains at both the state and federal levels and a majority in the House. Yet the message conflicts not only with their past complaint that Democrats opposed reining in Medicare spending, but also with the fact that House Republicans have voted twice since 2010 for the same 10-year, $500 billion savings in supporting Mr. Ryan’s annual budgets.

The result is a messaging mess, even by the standards of each party’s usual election-year attacks that the other is being insufficiently supportive of older people’s benefits.

***

Obama runs even with, or slightly ahead of, Republican rival Mitt Romney in poll after poll. Campaign strategists debate the reasons.

They might include Obama’s personal likability, gaps in Romney’s strategy or Americans’ grudging acceptance of a new normal in which millions of jobs are gone for good and no single person is responsible.

If high unemployment “was a killer, he’d already be dead,” said Republican pollster and consultant Mike McKenna. “The survey data tells you he’s not dead.”

There’s a problem with applying historical precedents and conventional wisdom to Obama. He sometimes defies them.

***

Click the image to watch.

***

Via the Daily Caller.

***

Via Mediaite.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5

Wait a minute!..you should stand..:):)

PS..Explain this one!..:)

PSS..Great to see you friend!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2012 at 3:21

Stand is probably my favorite REM song! :p

PS thanks, and likewise! :)

AMROFLMAO! That may be a first here on HA.

That’s OK though. Dire has plenty of cool points to spare
. :)

4Grace on July 8, 2012 at 3:14 AM

You’re right, he does – and, he’s lucky he does! :)

PS you yourself earned a lot of cool points for your Moby Grape post last night! :)

I definitely like Modern Love the best between those two.

4Grace on July 8, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Me, too. “Wishing” was a minor hit, which is one reason I posted it.

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 3:37 AM

PS..One of my favs!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2012 at 3:32 AM

Absolutely one of their best!! Fantastic song.

4Grace on July 8, 2012 at 3:38 AM

You need an 8-track to really play the doobie brothers. Make sure the player doesn’t eat your cassette tape otherwise they will sound like chipmunks for 10 seconds before destruction.

SparkPlug on July 8, 2012 at 3:34 AM

Haha. Doobie Brothers…true. Also played a LOT of Rush on 8-track. And Styx. Too many others to list.

4Grace on July 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM

This great, great song, probably their best, has an R.E.M. connection – Peter Buck plays guitar on it.

I saw this band, beloved my many, a number of times in Minneapolis here – I liked them much more live before getting drunk & acting goofy became part of their act. Also, I was good friends with someone who was a roommate of Bob Stinson (RIP) for awhile, until Bob started stealing his records to sell them for drugs/booze!

I Will Dare

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM

SparkPlug on July 8, 2012 at 3:34 AM

LoLz..You have a vey good point!..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Thanks for the compliment, Bizarro. Unlike DJ Dire, I need all the cool points I can get! ;)

4Grace on July 8, 2012 at 3:49 AM

I need sleep.

Good night, guys. Thanks for the great tunes!

4Grace on July 8, 2012 at 3:55 AM

4Grace on July 8, 2012 at 3:43 AM

One of my brothers found a “Live Yardbirds! Featuring Jimmy Page” 8-track in the early ’80s at some store in Brainerd, MN, which I think is about the greatest 8-track find I’ve ever heard of!

Wow, I’ve never looked up info about it online before, and just typed it in at Google – this was the first link! The Yardbirds Live Yardbirds! Featuring Jimmy Page

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 3:55 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 3:46 AM

I tip my fedora to you!..Your knowledge of music is outstanding!..Nice tune!..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2012 at 3:58 AM

4Grace on July 8, 2012 at 3:49 AM

Trust me you have all the cool points you need!..:)

PS..Later..I enjoyed it as always!..:)

Dire Straits on July 8, 2012 at 3:59 AM

Talking about The Yardbirds live, this one is awesome! Very, very Zeppeliny!

Think About It (Live At The B.B.C)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 4:01 AM

I agree with Stephen Hayes, it is simply not enough for Romney to say the boy king’s policies aren’t working, he’s got to remind the voters why they’re not working, that they haven’t worked in the past and the consequences of what those policies have reaped.

Flora Duh on July 8, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Only weirdos who hang around reading blogs care this early on.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:02 PM

hey! I resemble that remark.

Flora Duh on July 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM

hey! I resemble that remark.

Flora Duh on July 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Well, if you’re a weirdo, you’re one of the good ones! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM

Tell me something I DON’T know.

Yes, prototypes ALWAYS defy precedents. That’s why they’re called prototypes.

The question is: what is he a prototype OF? Or should I ask WHO?

Cleombrotus on July 8, 2012 at 6:20 AM

Well, if you’re a weirdo, you’re one of the good ones! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 6:13 AM

awww, thanks Bizarro.

Conservatism wins, moderation elects liberals.

Speakup on July 7, 2012 at 9:19 PM

From Reagan’s speech “The Agenda is Victory”

We live today in a time of climactic struggle for the human spirit, a time that will tell whether the great civilized ideas of individual liberty, representative government, and the rule of law under God will perish or endure.

Whittaker Chambers, who sought idealism in Communism and found only disillusionment, wrote very movingly of his moment of awakening. It was at breakfast, and he was looking at the delicate ear of his tiny baby daughter, and he said that, suddenly, looking at that, he knew that couldn’t just be an accident of nature. He said, while he didn’t realize it at the time, he knows now that in that moment God had touched his forehead with His finger.

And later he wrote: “For in this century, within the next decades, will be decided for generations whether all mankind is to become Communist, whether the whole world is to become free, or whether in the struggle civilization as we know it is to be completely destroyed or completely changed. It is our fate to live upon that turning point in history.” We’ve already come a long way together. Thank you for all that you’ve done for me, for the common values we cherish. Join me in a new effort, a new crusade.

[snip]

We must ask ourselves tonight how we can forge and wield a popular majority from one end of this country to the other, a majority united on basic, positive goals with a platform broad enough and deep enough to endure long into the future, far beyond the lifespan of any single issue or personality.

We must reach out and appeal to the patriotic and fundamental ideals of average Americans who do not consider themselves “movement” people, but who respond to the same American ideals that we do. I’m not talking about some vague notion of an abstract, amorphous American mainstream. I’m talking about “Main Street” Americans in their millions. They come in all sizes, shapes and colors — blue-collar workers, blacks, Hispanics, shopkeepers, scholars, service people, housewives, and professional men and women. They are the backbone of America, and we can’t move America without moving their hearts and minds as well.

Flora Duh on July 8, 2012 at 6:58 AM

John F’n Kerry couldn’t ‘debunk’ the Swiftboaters because that would require that he make his military record open for public scrutiny. A simple form would have done that. That is all it would have taken to ‘debunk’ them… and because he didn’t do that he was seen as having something to hide. That and the medal tossing incident and the Genghis Khan remarks before Congress, those didn’t sit too well, either.

As for Romney: the idea of ‘replacing’ O-Care, Dodd-Frank and a few other choice Obamabits means that you AGREE with Obama that these things needed fixing in the first place. Instead why not keep that ‘repeal’ part and start applying it to the entire student loan support concept, the CRA and its follow-ons, getting rid of GNMA to ‘securitize’ loans (really, shouldn’t the private sector have a better handle on this than a government agency) and those agencies having any say in our natural resource utilization (EPA, choice parts of Interior, and Dept. of Energy)?

A large scale repeal without replacing means the American people get to see what the ‘problems’ actually ARE and if they should even be handled by the federal government AT ALL.

Handing back large parts of States held by the federal government to keep it from being developed for natural resources should also be on the chopping block… and the States should be rescinding that sort of permission for the federal side to hold such lands and not even WAIT for the federal government to do it.

Romney does have a messaging problem and it is putting ‘replace’ in after ‘repeal’. Instead just say I trust you, the American people, at the local and State level to figure these things out and if your States need help amongst themselves to do a few things, why they can do that and a federal adviser can make sure that they craft things that do not put in trade restrictions against other States and that do not step into areas of federal power.

The people don’t trust the size, scope and power of this government. It is time to elect people who realize this and actually will do the work of scaling the thing back with a chainsaw, not give it a pedicure and ‘replace’ noxious limbs with other noxious limbs.

ajacksonian on July 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM

awww, thanks Bizarro.

Flora Duh on July 8, 2012 at 6:58 AM

Y/w. :)

btw, I once noticed you said you lived the the Tampa Bay area – which specific city do you live in in? My dad’s parents used to live in St. Petersburg, and he and my mom had a place in St. Pete Beach, right on the beach, up until about 10 years ago, so I know the area a bit.

I still have some Tampa Bay Buccaneers paraphenalia from before they ever played a game (“The Bucs Are Coming!” bumper stickers from McDonalds!) lol

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM

is making the classic mistake of modern politics in letting the attacks go unanswered…

what’s so weird is they are usually johnny on the spot to counter obama attacks…

a little maddening…

cmsinaz on July 8, 2012 at 8:43 AM

They might include Obama’s personal likability,

folks, who cares if he;s likable, he’s ruining this country with his incompetence and usurping of powers…

geez, take the bloody rose colored glasses off

cmsinaz on July 8, 2012 at 8:44 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM

About 75 miles north of Tampa, on the Nature Coast.

I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale so I’ve always been a DolFan. Just can’t get into the Bucs, no matter how much I’ve tried.

Flora Duh on July 8, 2012 at 8:45 AM

…the idea of ‘replacing’ O-Care, Dodd-Frank and a few other choice Obamabits means that you AGREE with Obama that these things needed fixing in the first place.

There is logic fail in that comment. O’s policies don’t need fixing, they need replacing with simple economically friendly policies. That is what a lot of Ryan’s solution provides, and it appears that is what Romney intends. Getting ride of O-care is step one, replacing it with polices that address the failures of programs like medicaid is step two.

ray on July 8, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Etch-a-sketch is a loser. The GOPe candidates are boring and tiresome. They couldn’t light a fire with a lit match in a drought.

Been there, done that.

Dump this statist loser or get beat by a Marxist in November.

Etch-a-sketch stinks on ice. If he is the nominee the GOPe deserves to lose.

Boehner and McConnell have to go!

Jayrae on July 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Flora Duh on July 8, 2012 at 5:39 AM

Me, to!

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Yes, and it’s become old, tired and worn out.

I pity that poor horse and rented mule.

JPeterman on July 7, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Not to mention the chicken.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Many of these political pundits behave as if they’re part of a swarm, all following a particular narrative one week, only to drop it and move on to something new the next. Most simply let the swarm decide what’s worth talking about each week, rather than taking the discussion to totally new places.

It’s also kind of pathetic that Allahpundit does little to distinguish himself from the others. Nothing he writes is ever that memorable, bold or influential. Sure, he often whips up some witty phrases, reveals sharp insight and asks good questions, but he usually only reacts to other people, usually with a wishy washy, blasé “eh” reaction. I wonder what the bored-seeming Allahpundit would do if he had to analyze politics without ever having the benefit of first seeing what everyone else was saying.

bluegill on July 8, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Jayrae on July 8, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Jayrae and his desperate Romney-bashing is what’s truly boring, tiresome and worthless.

Romney has performed magnificently, and whenever I see or hear him I feel a sense of reassurance.

bluegill on July 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

bluegill on July 8, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Just make sure you keep your head screwed on tight, a politician is a politician. If you can’t be skeptical, be realistic.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I’m sorry, but I refuse to be cynical for the sake of it. Sometimes around here it seems that feeling very good about Romney is frowned upon. It’s as if we aren’t allowed to make unconditionally positive statements about Mitt.

Well, guess what, I feel GREAT about Romney, and so do MANY others, and I’m not afraid to say it.

We have a great nominee who I believe will be a great president, and I’m proud to say it!

bluegill on July 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

bluegill on July 8, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I actually do admire you enthusiasm and hope that you are 100% correct.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2012 at 10:14 AM

And there it is, the stench of rotting fish in the morning.

Bmore on July 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Bmore on July 8, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Heh. I admire you all who can stay up till the wee hours of the morning, chit-chatting and swapping tunes.

I never could do all-nighters, although I did once in college just to prove to myself that I could. I was a wreck the remainder of the day, but dammit, I stayed up all night. :)

My mom always said: “Sleeping is your hobby.”

PatriotGal2257 on July 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

PatriotGal2257 on July 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

It probably explains why I look like a hundred year old hag.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

PatriotGal2257 on July 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Funny you should mention that. I fell asleep last night and forgot to give Dire his QOTD song, and forgot to say good night to everyone. Of course I skipped my afternoon nap yesterday, so………………..
Naps can keep you young, plus it makes everyday feel like two. ; )

Bmore on July 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

It probably explains why I look like a hundred year old hag.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Hush. ; )

Bmore on July 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Mmmmmmm, naps. I’m off to buy some bourbon, I’m going to try to make bourbon chicken tonight.

Cindy Munford on July 8, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Yum!

Bmore on July 8, 2012 at 10:53 AM

I absolutely hate, hate, hate that smirk Romney has on his face in all his pictures, so much that I have to click away or scroll down not to look at it. Am I the only one?

I can’t believe this is the only choice against Obama and that I have to vote for him.

lea on July 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

lea on July 8, 2012 at 5:01 PM

I’ve never been a fan of Romney. In fact my entire family is skeptical of him. We all have added to his campaign coffers, have yard signs, stickers, shirts. We have to drag him and as many senators and reps as we can into office if we want to save our republic.

It sucks, but this is go time.

tom daschle concerned on July 8, 2012 at 5:44 PM