Forget Obamatax. Are you ready for global taxes?

posted at 8:31 am on July 7, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Just when you think you’ve identified and outmaneuvered the enemy in front of you, another one comes sneaking up from behind. Yes, I know… you’re all worried about the number of taxes in Obamacare and Taxmageddon coming in January. Perhaps you think that by simply electing some new people you’ll be in the clear. Guess again.

You’re living in the global economy now, so why not have some global taxes? Think I’m kidding? How about a global tax on all financial transactions?

Now a group of United Nations “independent experts” is pushing the European Union to back a global financial transaction tax ahead of the G-8 Summit “to offset the costs of the enduring economic, financial, fuel, climate and food crises, and to protect basic human rights.”

How about letting the UN tax all international air travel? Or maybe Turtle Bay should be allowed to tax us for our energy use based on carbon credits… or something?

And then there’s my new favorite. Since Americans are so willing to let all levels of government pass sin taxes on things like cigarettes without much more than a peep, why not let the international community get in on the cash bandwagon?

Another subsidiary of the United Nations, the World Health Organization (WHO), is also looking to self-fund through global taxes. The WHO in 2010 publicly considered asking for global consumer taxes on internet activity, online bill paying, or the always popular financial transaction tax. Currently the WHO is pushing for increased excise taxes on cigarettes, but with an important condition that they get a slice of the added revenue. The so-called Solidarity Tobacco Contribution would provide billions of dollars to the WHO, but with no ability for taxpayers or national governments to monitor how the money is spent.

It’s truly a brave new world, comrades. If you’d care to light up a Marlboro or pour yourself a glass of beer, trivial things like having Washington pick your pocket are old hat. You should pay for your sins on a more global stage. Before you know it, they’ll be selling cigarettes from vending machines one at a time for five bucks a shot and bartenders will carry loan applications for when you’d like a cold one.

Welcome to the age of international peace and prosperity. Let’s all go light up a stogy, down a few shots of Jack Daniels and do some Trust Fall Down And Pass Outs.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

How about a global tax on all financial transactions?

How about letting the UN tax all international air travel?

If you want to discourage something folks do, tax it.

Financial transactions & international air travel must be bad.

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

What is Obama’s position on this? I don’t believe I have heard him comment. This sounds like something he would support.

bopbottle on July 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

nooooooooooooooooo

cripe..the most corrupt organization which means dear leader will dig it for sure…

cmsinaz on July 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM

How about a tax on this?

ef·flu·vi·um
a slight or invisible exhalation or vapor, especially one that is disagreeable or noxious

docflash on July 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

It’s time we have a foreign, bureaucrat tax.

Vince on July 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

I propose a tax on stupidity. Obama supporters and Joe Biden would be hit the hardest.

Les in NC on July 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

It’s an emergency! Quick, redistribute!

It’s truly a brave new world, comrades. If you’d care to light up a Marlboro or pour yourself a glass of beer…You should pay for your sins on a more global stage.

But Soma will still be available for ‘free’ at WHO clinics along with abortion and euthanasia services.

forest on July 7, 2012 at 8:46 AM

A tax on cowardice would probably bankrupt John Roberts.

TxAnn56 on July 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

A tax on cowardice would probably bankrupt John Roberts.

TxAnn56 on July 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

Pretty sure cowardice is to be subsidized rather than taxed.

forest on July 7, 2012 at 8:48 AM

How about NYC take back the UN compound through eminent domain and send these freeloaders and bandits packing?

Fallon on July 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Life imitates art. There was a Monty Python sketch in which people are asked about taxes and one fellow says he would tax foreigners for living abroad. The UN would like to make that happen.

radjah shelduck on July 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

The UN is nothing but a huge scam.

Dr Evil on July 7, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Unless I’m mistaken, this would require that a treaty be negotiated and ratified. Ain’t. Gonna. Happen.

flipflop on July 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Seems to be yet another reason to never leave the shores of the good ol’ US of A.

Warner Todd Huston on July 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Something tells me that this would probably be the tipping point for the Germans…

affenhauer on July 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM

It’s a money-making trick Zero learned from his Sicilian friends in Chicago.

viking01 on July 7, 2012 at 8:53 AM

bopbottle on July 7, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Joe Biden is on board, more or less.

What could possibly go wrong?

Certainly pulling our funding from the U.N. is something the American Left and Right can agree on…? I mean, c’mon. The U.N. has run its course. Lefties, howabout kicking the U.N. out of the NY building and leasing it out to start-up small businesses or something?

visions on July 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

A tax on cowardice would probably bankrupt John Roberts.

TxAnn56 on July 7, 2012 at 8:47 AM

A tax on whistling would bankrupt the President.

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

It’s time we have a foreign, bureaucrat tax.

Vince on July 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

It’s time to go back to the principles of our founding and avoid foreign entanglements completely.

roy_batty on July 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

visions on July 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

It’s time to implement the brilliant idea presidential candidate McCain had about starting a League of Free Nations.

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2012 at 8:56 AM

They can all kiss my over taxed arse.

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

They can all kiss my over taxed arse.

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

+ 100..mine too!..:)

Dire Straits on July 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

Good organizations always begin with good intentions. Then, people with their own agendas and what they think is in the best interest of the masses comes along and PRESTO, individual liberties and individual thought goes down the drain.

A perfect example is most of the “one size fits all” mentality that comes from our federal government. Even some states are imposing/limiting free choice, (see New York’s proposal to end the “big gulp”)

I would think most Americans would reject sending their hard earned dollars (allowing themselves to be taxed) to any world organization that doesn’t represent their values in individual societies. I cringe at the thought of a “new world order”, or the leadership that might run it. But, it wouldn’t surprise me to see liberal progressives embrace this idea, since it would limit their abilities to think and act for themselves.

Rovin on July 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

Dire, dang you’re up early, no sleep? Or just little? ; ) Good thread last night.

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Any politician who votes to approve any type of U.N. tax on Americans should be lined up against a wall . . . .

We all know how corrupt the U.N. is. All we’d be doing is letting more U.N. bureaucrats line their pockets with more of our money.

AZCoyote on July 7, 2012 at 9:04 AM

Dire Straits on July 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

3rd that…

mornin :)

cmsinaz on July 7, 2012 at 9:07 AM

flipflop on July 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Isn’t that almost done….you know…”under the radar”?

Mimzey on July 7, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Modern era Intolerable Acts

dom89031 on July 7, 2012 at 9:10 AM

Not only do we get to support the no loads in this country, they want us to support the no loads worldwide.

banzaibob on July 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM

My Magic 8 Ball says “Outlook not so good.”

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

All of these proposed taxes from people who won’t even pay their NY parking tickets. Uh huh.

Kissmygrits on July 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

Agenda 21…..

The global ruling class never have enough of what the serfs work for.

PappyD61 on July 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I want see your blog with all the pictures!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

Taxes can fix ANYTHING.

CW on July 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

He whistles while he works for the Globalists.

BTW, This nations without borders has filtered all the way down to Marketing textbooks in colleges. It’s here baby, and they are way ahead of us sleepers.

PappyD61 on July 7, 2012 at 9:21 AM

A tax on whistling would bankrupt the President.

itsnotaboutme on July 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

:-))

PappyD61 on July 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

I want see your blog with all the pictures!!!!!!!

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

… Cave Cindy? :)

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Cave Cindy? :)

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

??????? I haven’t had any coffee yet so I am bit slow on the uptake.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

What part of Taxed Enough Already do these people not understand?

Odysseus on July 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

I for one will welcome the return of speakeasies, stills, and wood alcohol poisoning (for those who can’t quite get their still juju high enough).

deadite on July 7, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Odysseus on July 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

All of it! We just don’t know what’s good for us.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

??????? I haven’t had any coffee yet so I am bit slow on the uptake.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Axe make dumb joke. Cindy no use “to” in sentence, so Axe call her “Cave Cindy” since she speak like cave woman. Also could use “Injun Cindy?” — but … not funny to Axe like “Cave Cindy.”

Axe get coffee too. :)

Heh.

PS: Those pics are awesome.

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

What’s Willard’s position on the UN and WHO?

Mr. Arrogant on July 7, 2012 at 9:33 AM

We have global capital…why not global taxation?

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Why don’t we cancel our membership of the UN? There really is no way to see it as beneficial to US interests.

At home it is only of interest to a handful of effete elitists at State and some internationalists spread amongst the hard left.

As President Mitt Romney should appoint Bolton as our final Ambassador to the UN charged only to extract us rapdiamente.

CorporatePiggy on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

We have global capital…why not global taxation?

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

We don’t have meaningful representation.

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Now a group of United Nations “independent experts” communists is pushing the European Union to back a global financial transaction tax

BobMbx on July 7, 2012 at 9:42 AM

We have global capital…why not global taxation?

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

And what happens when the tax isn’t paid?

BobMbx on July 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:32 AM

LOL! No, it is very funny. I’ve met me, I should have know it would have something to do with my sterling proofreading abilities.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

*_+

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

We have global capital…why not global taxation?

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

You are just the idiot Egypt’s and Libya’s new Obama enabled 7th Century kill-all-the-infidels-but-let’s-charge-them-for-the-privilege regimes have been waiting for.

viking01 on July 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

All the more reason to grow your own, brew your own, barter your labor, whatever else you can do to escape the evil grasping maw of big government scheming. And never forget to vote for the most conservative candidate with a chance of winning. Everyone who stayed home in 2008 because McCain is such a dud is guilty of inflicting the DingleBarry HO upon America.

SteveThomas on July 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

I’m the worst. If we starting checking my grammar and spelling I will have to give up on blogs. Probably not a bad idea.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

flipflop on July 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM

Naw, we got us some Executive Orders now…

chewydog on July 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:44 AM

*_+

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 9:49 AM

That’s just piling on. :)

Wait, let’s just pull a Dire really quickly, and have done:

LOL! No, it is very funny. I’ve met me. I should have known it would have something to do with my sterling proofreading abilities.

Fixed it! :)

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Firefox can’t help me with grammer or sentence structure but it spell checks for me.(thomasaur)

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

We have global capital…why not global taxation?

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

And there it is….

BallisticBob on July 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Rovin on July 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

We have global capital…why not global taxation?

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

The hare-brained global tax,is just a proposed fantasy. But there will be a real new tax from Hollande in France. They are all be based on wealth, not just income, thus the tax is imposed on money that had already been taxed. This new expansion is alarming, and possibly will be sought for by many more desperate governments,egged on by ignorant and envious voters.

bayview on July 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

We have global capital…why not global taxation?

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Because we are a sovereign nation, perfesser.

The same reason this idea from the UN will not happen.

kingsjester on July 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Solidarity Tobacco Contribution

God… who names these things?

Here’s a suggestion for them to try: A global tax and registration system for all small arms and ammo.

Please please please try it.

strictnein on July 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

We don’t have meaningful representation.

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Good organizations always begin with good intentions. Rovin on July 7, 2012 at 9:02 AM

The secretary general presiding over the founding meetings of the UN in San Francisco was Alger Hiss.

Hiss was a Communist.

Communists have, with “good intentions,” killed people by the millions.

I’m not ragging on you, but there is nothing remotely good about the UN.

Akzed on July 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

strictnein on July 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM

They are. Click the ink on my previous post.

kingsjester on July 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

We have global capital…why not global taxation? libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

You must laugh your ass off every time you click submit.

Akzed on July 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 9:58 AM

Exactly!

Rovin on July 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

One step closer to Wilson’s dream of One World Government

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 10:04 AM

The danger to our liberty is much more imminent than many people realize. If Øbama gets another term and the Dems hold the Senate, most probably there will be transformational cessions of American sovereignty to transnational bodies such as the UN.

Sovereignty or Submission: Will Americans Rule Themselves or be Ruled by Others?
by John Font

The Twenty-First Century is witnessing an epic struggle between the forces of global governance and American constitutional democracy. Transnational progressives and transnational pragmatists in the UN, EU, post-modern states of Europe, NGOs, corporations, prominent foundations, and most importantly, in America’s leading elites, seek to establish “global governance.” Further, they understand that in order to achieve global governance, American sovereignty must be subordinated to the “global rule of law.” The U.S. Constitution must incorporate “evolving norms of international law.” Sovereignty or Submission examines this process with crystalline clarity and alerts the American public to the danger ahead.

petefrt on July 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

petefrt on July 7, 2012 at 10:06 AM

The problem is…we have a President of the United States of America who believes more in the rights of the “international community” than he does in the sovereignty of his own country.

kingsjester on July 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Lots of things in the world influence my life in myriad of ways, and those things aren’t governments with taxing authority. You personally influence my life in myriad ways, and you have no authority to demand a tax from me.

I would care if I lacked representation because I don’t believe in totalitarian government.

I didn’t say I had no representation, I said we would have no meaningful representation. A glorified ambassador serving an appointment should not be deciding that half a billion people will now pay a tax on small-arms ammunition.

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 10:11 AM

kingsjester on July 7, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Heh, to put it mildly.

petefrt on July 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Akzed on July 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I stand corrected—I should have said “some” or “a few”. The UN has evolved into a liability against free “democratic” nations. The sooner this country tears down Turtle Bay and sends these despots (with “good intentions”) back under the rocks they crawled out from, the better.

Rovin on July 7, 2012 at 10:15 AM

The actions of multi-national corporations influence your life in myriad of ways, you don’t seem to care that you lack representation there. Why would you care if you lacked representation in a UN tax structure. You also would not be the one being taxed. And you *DO* have representation since the U.S. is part of the UN. libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

As “evil” as corporations are, I don’t have to buy their products and services.

Maybe soon we can be taxed for not doing so.

Akzed on July 7, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

I use Firefox.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

.(thomasaur)

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

You changed your name? Why? But thanks for letting me know, you are a favorite of mine.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Another good reason to get out of the U.N. and evict them from our soil.

jeffinsjvca on July 7, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Cindy, I left you a note, QOTD.

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Good to see you, old friend.

kingsjester on July 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:25 AMGood to see you, old friend.

kingsjester on July 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Reincarnation Mrs M. and thnx kj

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM

(thomasaur)

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Hey, I wondered what happened to thomasaur. Glad to see ya again!

petefrt on July 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Hey, I wondered what happened to thomasaur. Glad to see ya again!

petefrt on July 7, 2012 at 10:34 AM

shhhh!

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

In the “western” countries we whine about corruption, and see occasional embezzlement rip offs in our politicians and governments, but it is nothing like the way the third world allows corruption and embezzlement and actually Indulges it with their willing accomplice the U.N.

I would stop the flow of this money laundering scheme. Is the U.N. Too big to fail?

Fleuries on July 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Is the U.N. Too big to fail?

Fleuries on July 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Nope, they have been failing since the inception.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Today is Ringo Starr’s birthday. Who knew?

Jazz Shaw on July 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Perhaps if the UN were to get rid of it’s internal corruption, they’d actually have some money left over to accomplish something worthwhile.

GarandFan on July 7, 2012 at 11:02 AM

“Small Arms Treaty”

“Law of the Seas Treaty”

“Global Taxes”

One word: no.

PatriotGal2257 on July 7, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Jazz Shaw on July 7, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Actually, I did. Our local oldies station always plays a couple of Beatles/individual Beatles hits every day at 4 p.m. and the deejay played Ringo’s “You’re Sixteen” in honor of his birthday. He’s 72!

PatriotGal2257 on July 7, 2012 at 11:07 AM

One word: intolerable

Is anyone planning protests?

bitsy on July 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

John Roberts Syndrome.

It’s catching.

fogw on July 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

An attempt by our political class to impose this on Americans will lead to insurrection and perhaps civil war. No hyperbole.

Mason on July 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Slightly OT-Iowahawk got the lead out and got a column up on the Obamatax decision.

talkingpoints on July 7, 2012 at 11:40 AM

So this looks like the propaganda arm of the UN:

United Nation Association

(from Wikipedia)

The United Nations Associations are non-governmental organizations that exist in various countries to enhance the relationship between the people of a member state and the United Nations, raise public awareness of the UN and its work, promote the general goals of the UN and act as an advisory body to governments, decision making and the news media. They are not a part of the UN itself.
Their long-term concerns comprise:
The implementation of the Millennium Development Goals
Peace, security and disarmament
Human rights and humanitarian affairs
There are currently over 100 UNAs around the world. The secretariats for the World Federation of United Nations Associations are located in Geneva and New York.

There are chapters in every state of the US.

A co-ordinated nation wide protest at each of these locations would be easy to pull off and would raise awareness of their plans to tax and limit our freedoms.

bitsy on July 7, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Mason on July 7, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Taxed without representation by a foreign power. Seems like we’ve been down that road before. It ended ugly for them. But look on the bright side. We have a holiday where we bbq alot so and liberals can forget what that holiday celebrates.

kurtzz3 on July 7, 2012 at 11:44 AM

The tea party ought to back a Constitutional amendment prohibiting this.

Greek Fire on July 7, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Kissmygrits on July 7, 2012 at 9:16 AM

…of course…there will be ‘waivers’ worldwide!

KOOLAID2 on July 7, 2012 at 11:53 AM

How about a property tax on the UN’s clubhouse in New York.

In all seriousness, though, the UN is a joke at best and a threat to our freedom and security at worst. At this point, we ought to get rid of the UN altogether (or at the very least, withdraw from the group and kick them off our shores, then ignore any demands they make) rather than trying to play whack-a-mole with their numerous bad ideas.

Mr. Prodigy on July 7, 2012 at 12:41 PM

CorporatePiggy on July 7, 2012 at 9:39 AM

Will never happen. Neocons are just the flip side of the progressive globalist coin. They use the U.S. power in the UN, particularly in the Security Council, to ‘spread democracy’ to sh!thole countries across the globe that have no interest in our kind of democracy being foisted on them.

They also love to use the carrot/stick of UN funding to promote the global elite agenda.

Firefly_76 on July 7, 2012 at 12:42 PM

SteveThomas on July 7, 2012 at 9:51 AM

You sound like Obama placing blame. In 2004 121 million Americans voted. In 2008 128 million Americans voted. The Pubs pulled 3 million less in 2008 than 2004. Are you suggesting that if the pubs pulled 3 million more they would have won the election. They would have fallen 7 million votes short of what Obama took. The stayed home myth has been busted long ago but please keep up the blame game if that helps you get through the day.

What do you have to say about the pubs (15-20%) who voted for the other guy in 2010 inflicting upon us a communist in Conn., Harry Reid from Nevada and whoever the dem was in Colorado. Those are the 3 votes that would have brought about a split in the senate 50/50. I know they were flawed candidates that weren’t electable and we should have gone with the most electable (LOL) but since McCain lost that means he wasn’t electable either.

BTW I have never missed a presidential (10) or midterm election (10) since I became eligible to vote. I just don’t go for the blame game.

chemman on July 7, 2012 at 12:47 PM

You would normally say that this would be the limit. That even our loopiest leaders would see this as the affront that it is. But whenever I think the limit has been reached events manage to go beyond. It’s impossible, it seems, to resist the Inertia of Bad Ideas.

curved space on July 7, 2012 at 12:50 PM

libfreeordie on July 7, 2012 at 10:03 AM

You’d make such a happy little slave.

Which would be a step up from your current position of leftist lickspittle.

Solaratov on July 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM