Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on July 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

President Obama, at his second campaign stop Friday following a dismal June jobs report, dropped a line from his speech in which he cited the faint job growth as a “step in the right direction.”

With the economy typically polling as the top issue in the 2012 race, Obama is now under heavy pressure to demonstrate a turnaround sometime between July and October. A cascade of weak jobs reports between now and then would not bode well for his chances, though the president so far has kept the edge over Romney in many battleground state polls.

***

No president since World War II has won re-election with a jobless rate over 7.4 percent, a figure the economy is now almost certain not to reach before November. The president is quickly running out of time to bring the jobless rate down with just four reports now remaining before the election. And Friday’s report took on added importance as it will help set impressions of the economic trend heading into the summer vacation season, when voters tend to tune out…

Obama’s approval rating on the economy—consistently rated the top issue for voters— has long been mired in dismal territory. Friday’s numbers are likely to freeze the current dynamic that doesn’t favor the White House, forcing the president to continue a harshly negative campaign seeking to frame Romney as unpalatable alternative through attacks on his business record and extensive wealth, including his money in overseas accounts…

“I don’t see where the growth is going to come from now until the election,” said Matt McDonald, a former Bush administration official now with consulting group Hamilton Place Strategies. “You have a massive European overhang and business leaders are very concerned not just with Europe, but with what is going to happen in the U.S.,” McDonald said. “I think it will continue to be a pretty rude intrusion into the president’s campaign on a monthly basis from now until the election”

***

Have voters “priced-in” bad economic news as they evaluate Pres Obama? Stubborn polling suggests answer may be yes.

***

I am not sure [today's jobs report] qualifies as a significant miss relative to the market’s expectations. Still, those expectations were quite low to begin with. These are certainly disappointing numbers as compared to what had seemed possible earlier in the year.

Before the January job numbers were released, I wrote that 150,000 jobs added per month would make Mr. Obama roughly break-even for re-election given his approval ratings at that time. Between the strong numbers in the first few months of the year and the weaker ones recently, almost exactly 150,000 jobs per month have been created so far in 2012.

However, Mr. Obama seems to have gotten the benefit of the doubt from voters. His approval ratings improved some early in the year, but have not yet declined much with recent jobs reports.

***

Steve Schmidt, the 2008 campaign manager for Senator John McCain’s presidential bid, said voter attitudes about the economy had solidified already and would not be much affected by new jobs numbers on Friday or the rest of the year.

“The shape of the playing field is largely set,” Mr. Schmidt said. “They believe it’s a very bad economy. They’re pessimistic and they’re anxious. The campaign that wins is the campaign best able to address the anxiety. It’s a comfort argument.”

So far, he added, polls show Mr. Obama making headway in swing states with his attacks on Mr. Romney’s priorities, his finances and his record at Bain…

“The arguments that campaigns put out in July and August are largely unheard by the people who will decide the election,” Mr. Schmidt said. “Both sides are putting down markers for the arguments they’ll make in the fall.”

The June numbers, then, will represent another test of Mr. Obama’s resiliency.

***

I am beginning to get the feeling that voters are shrugging their shoulders about politicians, no longer believing they can fix the economic problems. They’ve reset their expectations about how political leaders can change the dynamic. After watching basically no growth in real wages over the last decade, no real growth in private sector jobs and a stagnant unemployment rate, they don’t think that a president (or a governor, for that matter) can do much to change the situation.

They also feel that politicians making typical promises about how they are going to fix things are not realistic or to be trusted. The public seems increasingly to want to be told the truth and what to really expect. They don’t want to be sold some happy story with slogans and talking points, but instead given a real sense of where we are and what our future looks like. It seems that voters want to be included in the conversation, and asked to be part of the solution. And they think the leadership solution is a much more local one in their communities and neighborhoods.

This “reset” on the country’s economic and leadership outlook of what might be a new normal could actually benefit Obama to a small degree. If Romney tries to make too many grand promises about what he will do as president, he could be viewed as untrustworthy and a typical politician.

***

June 2012: “Therefore, it is important not to read too much into any one monthly report and it is informative to consider each report in the context of other data that are becoming available.”…

June 2011: “Therefore, as the Administration always stresses, it is important not to read too much into any one monthly report.”…

June 2010: “As always, it is important not to read too much into any one monthly report, positive or negative.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7

Skewered…

Gohawgs on July 7, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Guess what? I saw them open for The Stones in Minneapolis’ Metrodome, ’89/Steel Wheels tour… :P

PS they were better than The Stones that night, definitely! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 7, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Dire,

I’ll see your Loveless with Smyth. And yes, I’m serious!!!

Gohawgs on July 7, 2012 at 3:17 AM

One of the late ’60′s best hits imo. Their guitarist was a pupil of Hendrix.

I Got A Line On You

Bizarro No. 1 on July 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM

And off I go

The 2 guys middle back at 2:25 – 2:29

Gohawgs on July 7, 2012 at 5:17 AM

Whoa – I had no idea what that linked to when I posted my “Dirty Tricks” links!

Do you have any of their albums?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 7, 2012 at 5:01 AM

I might be lost, Bizarro. You mean Dirty Tricks?

*rubs temples*

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 5:18 AM

The 2 guys middle back at 2:25 – 2:29

Gohawgs on July 7, 2012 at 5:17 AM

lol

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 5:22 AM

I Got A Line On You

Bizarro No. 1 on July 7, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Cousin Arnold will be happy…

Gohawgs on July 7, 2012 at 5:23 AM

Gonna scoot. Had fun, purples. :) Now I have to … ah, beats the smurf out of me. It’s the weekend. I’ve got ten thousand things to do, but …

I’ll go pet the cat and try to untangle the rest of it from there.

And a Dr. Pepper float.

Have a great weekend!

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 5:31 AM

I might be lost, Bizarro. You mean Dirty Tricks?

*rubs temples*

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 5:18 AM

lol

This song might help explain things to us.

Outside Of Time”

Bizarro No. 1 on July 7, 2012 at 5:40 AM

how about 24 of them then…..?

ted c on July 7, 2012 at 6:18 AM

It’s still the economy and we’re not stupid!

MJBrutus on July 7, 2012 at 6:25 AM

I’m seeing comments from pundits that the bad economic news has already been baked in for Obama. We just passed Fourth of July. I think (too) many voters are only now going to tune in. Fortunately for Obama, gas prices went down a bit so far this summer. But I think voters will be sizing things up for themselves in the next two months in time to hear what Obama and Romney have to say at their conventions and beyond. Voters will be looking at tuition bills, insurance premiums, and employment prospects.

I wish Romney et al. would get it in gear before this election is blown. Sorry to say, Gingrich (and where did he disappear?) may have created other problems, but he’d have had no problems cutting Obama to shreads on the campaign trail. Frankly, I wish Romney could enlist Gingrich as a bombthrowing surrogate.

BuckeyeSam on July 7, 2012 at 6:42 AM

Polling suggest that more than 10% of the voters are not even picking a guy yet. Give it some time.

Terrye on July 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM

BuckeyeSam on July 7, 2012 at 6:42 AM

I am not so sure about that. Newt Gingrich had his own mandate problems and just smarting off would not have been enough. There would have been ads about Newt and his women, his finances, his history of changing his positions. Plus, there would have been Newt being his condescending obnoxious self.

The primary is over. And I think it would be foolish to think that it would have been clear sailing for any Republican running against Obama. Especially considering the willingness of conservative pundits to turn on their own.

Terrye on July 7, 2012 at 7:11 AM

he cited the faint job growth as a “step in the right direction.”

If the direction we want to head for is complete doom and destruction, then he’s right.

More people signed up for disability benefits (85,000) from the federal government “stash” last month than signed up for new jobs (80,000).

AZCoyote on July 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Grace, Norm is back in the hospital with clots and fluid on his lungs. Please keep the prayers ascending for both June & him…

OmahaConservative on July 7, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Doubling up on the prayers OC.

This is why I rant about welfare queens.

….. was with me since he was 4. He’s now 17. Suddenly now placed with his mother in Tennessee. They shut off his cell phone, I cannot reach him. He was my son’s brother. He was about to finish his Senior year in H.S. starting this year.

There was no consideration, no thought, no nothing. “Welfare Queen wants her child”… and poof.

My house done blowed up.

Key West Reader on July 7, 2012 at 1:10 AM

My heart goes out to you KWR. I still have nightmares about my 3 yr old foster child who literally had to be pried from my arms because he was clinging so tightly to my neck and sobbing he didn’t want to go back to “that lady.” That lady was his mother, who never should have had children in the first place.

Most of the trauma I experienced was imagining the trauma that little boy was experiencing and trying to comfort my own children, who felt as if they had lost one of their own siblings. As with your experience, there was no warning they were taking him that day so I had no time to prepare the foster child or my own kids for it. That was my first time as a foster parent. Unfortunately, because of the way Florida’s DCF handled it, it was also my last. I just couldn’t put my kids through that again.

My heart also aches for your child, to suddenly be taken from the only family you’ve known for 13 yrs without any warning is downright cruel.

Prayers going up for all of you.

Flora Duh on July 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM

what a crock…first he says if we pass the stimulus unemployment would be at 5.6 at this point in time…NOW he’s saying we took a step in the right direction and it’s going to take time…can’t have it both ways there bub

yet he has the lsm helping him every step of the way

we are in a world of hurt if this putz gets another 4 years

cmsinaz on July 7, 2012 at 8:34 AM

Key West Reader, I just woke up and while reading last nights song dedications I saw your heartbreaking post. Just know there’s a lady in Oklahoma saying a prayer for you and your family. My husband and I were talking the other night about what a special person it takes to be a foster parent. God bless you.

tj4osu on July 7, 2012 at 8:39 AM

kwr, prayers coming from the southwest as well…

cmsinaz on July 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

kwr, prayers coming from the southwest as well…

cmsinaz on July 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

And from the midwest. At one point I really wanted to take in foster kids and my husband said I would be an emotional wreck when they left. I acquiesed, knowing he was right. Reading KWR and Flora’s posts, I know I am not strong enough. Blessings on those who are.

Fallon on July 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM

P.S. It’s really not fair you know. You guys had Jeannie, Maryanne, Charlie’s Angels, etc. Us gals were stuck with the dudes from CHIPS. :p

4Grace on July 7, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Bo or Luke Duke?

Flora Duh on July 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Flora Duh on July 7, 2012 at 7:48 AM cmsinaz on July 7, 2012 at 8:44 AM

In what universe does this make a lick of sense? It is one of the most heartbreaking things I’ve ever read.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Obama is toast. Rasmussen has him getting only 44% of the vote. This is carter territory.

Ta111 on July 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

If the MSM can have some convenient typos in early November… “Did I write 6.2% unemployment… oops… I meant 8.2%” Obama has a chance.

Otherwise hell become one more member of his great unemployed.

profitsbeard on July 7, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Florida DCF. In their eyes, it doesn’t have to make sense.

Flora Duh on July 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

Cindy.

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:24 AM

I want to see your blog with the photos.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Flora Duh on July 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

It’s just crazy, I can’t imagine one person in that situation who has benefited. Including the “mother” who all of the sudden has a seventeen year old in her house that she doesn’t know. I would love to hear the explanation.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Cindy, do you have your reading glasses on, check very closely to the note I left you above. One thing though, I started you at the beginning. You’ll have to work your way forward. Look very closely. ; )

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I will have you know that I don’t wear reading glasses. I am stupid though and no one has ever mistaken me for Sherlock Holmes.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:32 AM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:38 AM

lol … Have you seen the fireworks yet, Cindy? And if not, can I just offer a quick fix here Bmore? I have the powah.

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 10:39 AM

*or not. Maybe it must be earned.

Strange.

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Cindy, I guess the, that wasn’t you that just clicked the link in the note. Someone did, it tells me, enlarge the note by pressing command + on your keyboard, or try hovering over the very end of the note. ; )

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Axe, sure just don’t do it in a way that all the trolls can see, I’m not well liked by some. It’s why I hide them the way I do. The links that is. ; )

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:45 AM

I understand.

You never cut me so much slack as you just did Cindy. :) Just kept telling me to check my eyesight … lol

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I’m hoping the second pick up was you Cindy.

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

LOL!

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Thank you. Sorry I’m so slow. Those have to be the best fireworks pictures I have ever seen. Do you think it is because there isn’t a lot of man made lighting around to compete with? Lucky you, it looks like a good time.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:53 AM

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 10:49 AM

I’m old and almost computer illiterate, I have to have slack.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Cindy, Yay! Enjoy! If you comment there. I’ll be glad to post the email address in case you ever need it. Just let me know. I’ll do a post it and delete it. ; )

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 10:58 AM

Y’all just don’t realize how computer illiterate I am. When I hit publish something came up that I am pretty sure is my husband’s stuff. So I didn’t leave a comment. Those wooden boats are so cool. I’ll just bookmark the site to view. We have a two boat parades at Christmas in our area, I love them. It’s funny that for someone who was raised on the water I haven’t been near a boat in thirty years.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Y’all do realize I can see the link being picked up, right? Axe are you just screwing with me?

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

No. Word of honor. Haven’t/won’t click it.

… might try to move the convo along and turn the page; bury it.

Axe on July 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Does that mean I can’t bookmark it and look at it from time to time? Do you have to watch it every minute?

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Cindy, that’s okay, we can take up that issue at some future point. Your husband will know why it’s doing that. The short of it is, he is signed in on the machine you are on, when he signs out you’ll be good to go. You can always comment anonymously, just say Cindy and I’ll know it was you. As far as boats are concerned, I promised my better have I would spend the remainder of the day cleaning up ours, off I go. ; ) Oh and Cindy before you ask, yes that’s me on the short rope. Talk to you later.

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

I have gone to it several times, I think that’s what you are seeing. Like a kid with a new toy.

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Cindy, no you can bookmark it, make yourself at home whenever you feel like looking though it. I mostly only watch it when I drop a link to someone. The link I dropped for you has had five hits thus far. Hopefully since its not Axe messing with me, they will at least have the courtesy of saying hello at some point. Y’all have a lovely day. ; )

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 11:19 AM

KWR

My prayers are with you, and your son.

teacherman on July 7, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Bmore on July 7, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Cindy Munford on July 7, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Our narcissist is running out of excuses for his run at being a God. His audience is getting smaller by the day and this must be very painful to his ego, the truth hurts sometimes. Being a person who makes the correct choices all the time in his mind, is unable to face failure because it does not exist in his views of himself.

mixplix on July 7, 2012 at 5:54 PM