Quotes of the day

posted at 9:00 pm on July 6, 2012 by Allahpundit

President Obama, at his second campaign stop Friday following a dismal June jobs report, dropped a line from his speech in which he cited the faint job growth as a “step in the right direction.”

With the economy typically polling as the top issue in the 2012 race, Obama is now under heavy pressure to demonstrate a turnaround sometime between July and October. A cascade of weak jobs reports between now and then would not bode well for his chances, though the president so far has kept the edge over Romney in many battleground state polls.

***

No president since World War II has won re-election with a jobless rate over 7.4 percent, a figure the economy is now almost certain not to reach before November. The president is quickly running out of time to bring the jobless rate down with just four reports now remaining before the election. And Friday’s report took on added importance as it will help set impressions of the economic trend heading into the summer vacation season, when voters tend to tune out…

Obama’s approval rating on the economy—consistently rated the top issue for voters— has long been mired in dismal territory. Friday’s numbers are likely to freeze the current dynamic that doesn’t favor the White House, forcing the president to continue a harshly negative campaign seeking to frame Romney as unpalatable alternative through attacks on his business record and extensive wealth, including his money in overseas accounts…

“I don’t see where the growth is going to come from now until the election,” said Matt McDonald, a former Bush administration official now with consulting group Hamilton Place Strategies. “You have a massive European overhang and business leaders are very concerned not just with Europe, but with what is going to happen in the U.S.,” McDonald said. “I think it will continue to be a pretty rude intrusion into the president’s campaign on a monthly basis from now until the election”

***

Have voters “priced-in” bad economic news as they evaluate Pres Obama? Stubborn polling suggests answer may be yes.

***

I am not sure [today's jobs report] qualifies as a significant miss relative to the market’s expectations. Still, those expectations were quite low to begin with. These are certainly disappointing numbers as compared to what had seemed possible earlier in the year.

Before the January job numbers were released, I wrote that 150,000 jobs added per month would make Mr. Obama roughly break-even for re-election given his approval ratings at that time. Between the strong numbers in the first few months of the year and the weaker ones recently, almost exactly 150,000 jobs per month have been created so far in 2012.

However, Mr. Obama seems to have gotten the benefit of the doubt from voters. His approval ratings improved some early in the year, but have not yet declined much with recent jobs reports.

***

Steve Schmidt, the 2008 campaign manager for Senator John McCain’s presidential bid, said voter attitudes about the economy had solidified already and would not be much affected by new jobs numbers on Friday or the rest of the year.

“The shape of the playing field is largely set,” Mr. Schmidt said. “They believe it’s a very bad economy. They’re pessimistic and they’re anxious. The campaign that wins is the campaign best able to address the anxiety. It’s a comfort argument.”

So far, he added, polls show Mr. Obama making headway in swing states with his attacks on Mr. Romney’s priorities, his finances and his record at Bain…

“The arguments that campaigns put out in July and August are largely unheard by the people who will decide the election,” Mr. Schmidt said. “Both sides are putting down markers for the arguments they’ll make in the fall.”

The June numbers, then, will represent another test of Mr. Obama’s resiliency.

***

I am beginning to get the feeling that voters are shrugging their shoulders about politicians, no longer believing they can fix the economic problems. They’ve reset their expectations about how political leaders can change the dynamic. After watching basically no growth in real wages over the last decade, no real growth in private sector jobs and a stagnant unemployment rate, they don’t think that a president (or a governor, for that matter) can do much to change the situation.

They also feel that politicians making typical promises about how they are going to fix things are not realistic or to be trusted. The public seems increasingly to want to be told the truth and what to really expect. They don’t want to be sold some happy story with slogans and talking points, but instead given a real sense of where we are and what our future looks like. It seems that voters want to be included in the conversation, and asked to be part of the solution. And they think the leadership solution is a much more local one in their communities and neighborhoods.

This “reset” on the country’s economic and leadership outlook of what might be a new normal could actually benefit Obama to a small degree. If Romney tries to make too many grand promises about what he will do as president, he could be viewed as untrustworthy and a typical politician.

***

June 2012: “Therefore, it is important not to read too much into any one monthly report and it is informative to consider each report in the context of other data that are becoming available.”…

June 2011: “Therefore, as the Administration always stresses, it is important not to read too much into any one monthly report.”…

June 2010: “As always, it is important not to read too much into any one monthly report, positive or negative.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

Now what would compel you to tap out such a dumbass comment?

minnesoter on July 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

I was trying to give you cover for this:

Eleventh!

Whoo Hoo!!!

A personal QOTD best.

minnesoter on July 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

;-)

I sure hope you like smiley faces.

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Hooverilles, Potterville now, obamanationvilles…All in good time, all part of a plan

Gohawgs on July 6, 2012 at 10:14 PM

;-)

I sure hope you like smiley faces.

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

: )

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Did anyone see the picture of the day yet?

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Love it – it says everything it needs to.

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I think I’ll do some stuff from the early 60s tonight. 1960

The jobs report came out today. Are you nervous?

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

LOL! I live in Minnesota.

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I was just talking to a friend tonight who lives in Minneapolis and works for the Dept of Health. He’s one of the few conservatives in his office. He said they (not him) were all swooning over Ocare. Let’s see how much they swoon when they’re told their 75 yr old mother can’t get a knee replacement, or one of them gets cancer and is told to take a pain pill.

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Did anyone see the picture of the day yet?

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

*My pastor approves this message…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Frank Marshall Davis, whether Obama’s father or mentor or both, was a communist through and through, and an America and capitalism hater, which explains even more about Obama than does Jeremiah Wright, Bill Ayers, and the rest of his radical coterie.

TXUS on July 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

Like father , like son :

A devoted Communist Party member, Frank Marshall Davis, on July 6, 1946, published a column for the kick-off edition of the Chicago Star. The Star was the communist newspaper for Chicago, known among locals as the “RedStar.” Davis was not only a columnist but the founding editor-in-chief. Joining him in the newspaper was a fascinating cast of characters, from literal Soviet agents to the likes of Senator Claude “Red” Pepper, who during his time at the Starwas championing a bill to nationalize healthcare in the United States, a bill written by his chief of staff, Charles Kramer, who we now know was a Soviet agent. Frank Marshall Davis himself called for taxpayer-subsidized “universal healthcare.”
In fact, Davis and his Star comrades would urge many things that sound eerily similar to Barack Obama’s presidency today. They blasted big business, Wall Street, big banks, big oil, “profits,” “millionaires” and corporate executives for not paying their “fair” share. They urged that wealth be redistributed to “health insurance” and “public works projects.” They targeted General Motors for government action. They despised anti-communists like Winston Churchill and singled out the Catholic Church as an obstacle to their vision for the state. And as they did, Davis and his comrades called themselves “progressives.”

burrata on July 6, 2012 at 10:20 PM

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Oh I’m sure they were. Conservatives around here are definitely the silent majority.

I have a necklace that my parents gave me that is the GOP elephant. You should see the dirty looks I get from people when they see it.

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

1960

If anyone approaches you to vote for Obama, you don’t want to let them know that you know they’re a psycho, so walk, don’t run.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Wait. People factor in a bad economy and still vote for the incumbent. When did this start?

JohnInCA on July 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

80,000 jobs created. 8.2% unemployment. [even forgetting the feral government's manipulation]

“Grey shoots!!” — The Dog-Eater and his lunatic junta

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM

*My pastor approves this message…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:19 PM

I thought you might say that:)
I just had to share, the SCOTUS ruling ruined the last day of my vacation, I was going to go up on a parasail to celebrate…but I was grounded:((((((((

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

And what is the alternative…ABC?

Hmmmmm?

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 9:12 PM

That’s the quote that had me chuckling, too.

Look at the story url:

Lol. How about: /voters-now-seeking-mr-i-wont-destroy-the-country/ ?

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I wear a GOP elephant as well, and I live in an upscale Uptown neighborhood. I not only get dirty looks, I’m told to fcuk off racist and all kinds of epithets…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

1961

Obama’s favorite band – The Ramrods.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:25 PM

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Oh man, that really sucks…
Hows your weather?

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Have voters “priced-in” bad economic news as they evaluate Pres Obama?

Have they “priced in” the fact that the Dog-Eater has not iota of American sensibilities about him, an IQ hovering in the low 80s, his constant criminal actions and violations of OUR Constitution, and his taking our nation apart all by himself in his third world tyrannical style with every passing day making it totally unrecognizable?

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

I haven’t had that yet which is surprising since I live in an urban area as well. I have had “Why in the world would you want to wear that” several times.

Every dirty look makes me want to wear it that much more.

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Forgot to add that ABC managed to play that as an advantage for Odumbo.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

1961

When it comes to the economy, Obama is just a wanderer in the wasteland.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Hey Bmore, how’s the weather down there? It was 102° in the shade on my porch today. Chicago is melting. I picked a bad summer to add some bushes and trees.

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Nate Silverman yesterday:

But there’s much more at stake in Friday’s jobs number than in most of what receives a comparable amount of coverage in political news outlets. Source

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Why in the world would anyone quote Steve Schmidt?

bw222 on July 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

natasha333 on July 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM

Nice rant! Lol.
I think you’re right, also.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

The other day, I had a kid write me and call me a racist for calling Michelle “Moochelle”. I wrote back, explaining that I was talking about how she spent our money so freely and asked the kid if he had ever heard of the great black entertainer, Cab Calloway, whose signature song was “Minnie the Moocher”? The kid never wrote back.

kingsjester on July 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Every dirty look makes me want to wear it that much more.

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

You are a hot babe and I am a crusty old white guy…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Obama gets creepier by the day!

MCGIRV on July 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

1962

Debbie Witchface-Schultz theme song.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:21 PM

It’s such a different world in an energy sector red state. When the death sentence from Roberts came down, people in our office were saying things like, “can you believe it”, “did I hear that right?”. It was like a morgue and took all I could to not spew expletives.

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

You are a hot babe and I am a crusty old white guy…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Flattery will get you everywhere ;)

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Why in the world would anyone quote Steve Schmidt?

bw222 on July 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

My thought as well. Can’t we exile him and Nicole Wallace to an island somewhere?

slickwillie2001 on July 6, 2012 at 10:32 PM

1962

Hold onto your wallet, boys, when Nancy Pelosi around. She has ideas about parting you from your money.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Oh man, that really sucks…
Hows your weather?

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Mid 90′s today, we’ve not been as dry as the rest but catchin up.
Kids bath night, I’ll be back later:)

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:35 PM

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

98% of the people in my office had no clue anything was going on.

Sad huh?

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:27 PM

I have a Remember in November bumpersticker and a small gadsden flag magnet on my car and get a thumbs up every now and then. Again, red state/blue state difference.

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Did anyone see the picture of the day yet?

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

heh. That’s almost as good as this one.

DOT Construction Signs Hacked To Read ‘Impeach Obama’

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Did I ever tell you I know your District President/Bishop Terry F, and that his parents are dear friends?

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

1962

When I look at Valerie Jarrett I get sick to my stomach. Like I ate too many green onions.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Lolz. Perfect…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Did anyone see the picture of the day yet?

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM

LOL! Somehow, I think Obama better get used to that.

Night Owl on July 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

It’s been nice, we had some hot days last week in the city, doesn’t cool at night stuff. Where I am for Holiday, home, is perfect. Of course the motto here in the mountains of Ga. “Where spring comes to spend the summer.” that’s very true. Cool at night, high 60′s, good sleeping weather. Good swimming temps.

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

1962

I hope the American people invite Obama to hit the road in November. Route 66 would be fine.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:41 PM

1962

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:37 PM

She looks like an ostrich:

Senior White House Adviser Valerie Jarrett Says “Coarseness” Fuels Anti-Obama Outbursts…

slickwillie2001 on July 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

There go my neighbors again, shooting fireworks right here in Midtown Crossing…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

DOT Construction Signs Hacked To Read ‘Impeach Obama’

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Priceless.

lynncgb on July 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

1962

Romney’s autumn theme song?

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I’ve met him on number of occasions, I have family in various positions in the MT Synod.
Won’t say more, I might blow my cover:)
Got shampoo to rinse out of kids hair, back later….

MontanaMmmm on July 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Diggin the Triumph Tr3 and the MGA, never was much of a Porshe guy.

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Cool at night, high 60′s, good sleeping weather. Good swimming temps.

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Officially… jealous.

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

What’d I miss? Why is the A/C getting turned off???

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

72 degrees my friend. Dewpoint is still a bit high but there is a nice breeze.

FRESH AIR!!!!!

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Lucky you! 106 on the way to dinner–no WAY was I turning on the oven, 98 on the way home, two hours later. 88 on Sunday–positively Arctic–I’m anticipating sweatshirts!

herm2416 on July 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

I’ve never seen anyone more course of spirit than Valerie Jarrett, except maybe Debbie Witchface-Schultz.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

… *I’m not saying it will be the 520 to 17 flogging that Nixon gave McGovern, but I definitely don’t think it is going to be “close” in either popular or EC votes — at least not close enough for the Chicago Mob to steal.

Dark Star on July 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

While I’ve been saying for some time now that Obama’s going to lose in a landslide (note I didn’t say Romney would win by a landslide), the Nixon-McGovern thing had slipped from my mind. Nixon, of course, was the incumbent (and no real conservative by any means) and McGovern the the challenger (and, compared to Obama, not as wild and radical a liberal).

The times then were different, though, the nation less polarized politically, far more people undecided at this point (despite the VN war imbroglio), and the makers-takers ratio was far higher than today.

Brainstorming it through, I still think we’re going to see a landslide, but more along the lines of Romney 400-138 in the EC. The reason I give Romney such an edge is that the responders to pollsters who say they favor Obama are not going to show up at that rate in November, and the Romney/anti-Obama voters will show up in droves, like 2010.

TXUS on July 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Nate Silverman yesterday:

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:28 PM

Here’s Nate Silver today….The June numbers, then, will represent another test of Mr. Obama’s resiliency. Mitt Romney should have an opportunity to turn the conversation back to the economy over the next few weeks. If he is not able to take advantage of it, then it might be more appropriate for conservatives to fret about the state of his campaign — concerns that seem a bit premature now.

d1carter on July 6, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Did ya’ll hear about this?

Malware May Knock Thousands Off Internet

WASHINGTON—Despite repeated alerts, tens of thousands may still lose their Internet service Monday unless they do a quick check of their computers for malware that could have taken over their machines more than a year ago.

I’ve already checked my machines, thankfully they’re both clean.

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Diggin the Triumph Tr3 and the MGA, never was much of a Porshe guy.

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I really like that video clip. Not sure why, exactly. Well, yes I am. But I won’t say …

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Officially… jealous.

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 10:46 PM

If its any consolation, I have to be in the city most of next week. ; (

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Love it! Too bad it didn’t greet the Magical Mystery Tour in Ohio. The prankster in me wishes I knew how to reprogram those signs.

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM

She looks like an ostrich:

slickwillie2001 on July 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

From the comments, the Geico gecko.

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM

1963

I wonder if it’s too much to ask to have Romney surf to victory in November.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:52 PM

DOT Construction Signs Hacked To Read ‘Impeach Obama’

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

That’s a good one too. LOL!

Night Owl on July 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Snapshot of current Drudge Report page: http://www.drudgereportarchives.com/data/2012/07/07/20120707_002116.htm

O NO: UNEMPLOYMENT STUCK AT 8.2%…
‘STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION’…
Just 80,000 jobs added in June
85,000 WENT ON DISABILITY!
Unemployment rate for blacks jumps to 14.4%…
780,000 Fewer Women Employed Under Obama…
Romney: ‘It Doesn’t Have To Be This Way’…
Team Obama predicted 5.6% today with stimulus…

ITguy on July 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Clinton took credit for everything the Republicans forced him kicking and screaming to do.

Gosh why doesn’t this President take credit, for much of anything, he and his merry band of thieves have done?

The democrats have given us so many self made political ad video clips, they just need to find their way onto the TV.

Speakup on July 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

1963

If Obama whines about Bain Capital at the presidential debates later this year, Romney should surf him a bird.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

First he was the foodstamp president. Now add that he’s the disability compensation president. What a disgrace.

Philly on July 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Man are we getting HAMMERED by 0bama ads. They are spending a fortune in this market…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

TXUS on July 6, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Yes, I didn’t mean to dismiss the differences between then & now (including the incumbent/challenger spots of Nixon/McGovern & Obama/Romney). I meant the comparison only to the way the Left is so cocksure they are controlling the narrative/so tunnel-visioned that they can’t imagine *anyone* not voting for Obama the same way they were so sure McGovern was going to win and the “quietness from the voters” the pundits are dismissing as people being “resigned that no politician can fix things” to that of the Silent Majority who showed up to vote in 1972.

Dark Star on July 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

DOT Construction Signs Hacked To Read ‘Impeach Obama’

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Love it, the underground, as during WWII, lives on.

TXUS on July 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Yikes! I just switched over to the local ABC affiliate for the Evening news and saw BabaWawa. That is on creepy old crone…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

trying to pick off that 1 CD/electoral vote? (well, i assume your handle is descriptive)

r keller on July 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

1964

Obama is trying to buy this election with a fistful of dollars. Your tax dollars. “Redistributed for fairness” to his constituents.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

She looks like an ostrich:

slickwillie2001 on July 6, 2012 at 10:42 PM

She DOES look like an ostrich! Favorite comment:

Dapandico says:
June 25, 2012 at 2:14 pm
Were the National Association of Black Journalists given sporks?

Night Owl on July 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I fear I’m going to have a difficult time watching the debates. I literally can not stand to see O’s face or hear his “melodious” (gag) voice.

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Team Obama predicted 5.6% today with stimulus…

ITguy on July 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

We Remember those days..
Libs that is …Obama thumpers.. have the memory of a Commodore 64…

Like flies to a flame…
Big smiles and all while flyin’

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I’ve already checked my machines, thankfully they’re both clean.

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Yup, been keeping an eye on that one for about six months now.

SWalker on July 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Night Owl on July 6, 2012 at 10:54 PM

Hey Little Owl. Thanks for having my back earlier. I’m pretty thick-skinned but I appreciate your sticking up for me. There will be toast and coffee for you in the morning.

Night all!

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

r keller on July 6, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Along with Western IA. They did peel off that one 2nd district CD vote in 2008 with three ACORN offices in 2008…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Don’t even get me started on his faux dropping g’s southern accent. You’re talking projectile vomiting now.

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Good one, jaime. Yes, expect lots of giveaways and goodie bags between now and Nov.

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Paul Ryan is still my top pick for a number of reasons. I read all 50 comments on the article and saw all sides. As for the Ryan being too polarizing argument to independens argument, I think he will actually attract more independents as they’ll see the GOP finally getting serious about entitlement refom and repealing Obamacare instead of both sides just pushing the can down the road. Also, there are more conservatives than independents who don’t pay attention. I think we need to fire up the base to get people to enthusiastically support Romney. That’s what having a conservative VP does. Palin got people excited about McCain, John McLame of all people! Palin had actually helped give him the lead until the economy collapsed and McLame stupidly suspended his campaign.

Jindal would be my second choice, he’s actually more conservative than Ryan and has impressive executive experience. The reason I’d pick Ryan over Jindal though is that as the article points out Ryan could help deliver Wisconsin which could be the difference. Ryan could even have more of an influence on Ohio than Portman. On the other hand Jindal is really helping in a crucial election by delivering a state we already have wrapped up in Louisiana or pretty much all of the South.

I’d be happy with either but I’m sticking with Ryan.

LevinFan on July 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:03 PM

I’m going to do a lot of muting but I want to watch to see if we have the first official Presidential temper tantrum on national TV.

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Why do the local newsreaders have to wear suits in triple digit temps? Makes me nauseous just to see them so overdressed…
Let the guys wear golf shirts and the babes wear bikinis…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Good Night Fallon, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

Speakup on July 6, 2012 at 10:56 PM

In all honesty, I don’t see it as the GOP forcing Clinton “kicking & screaming.” After the government actually shut down(!), I think both Clinton & the GOP worked together & I give credit to both sides for that. I think the government shut down was a wake up call to both sides to start behaving more in the spirit of bipartisanship and Clinton, unlike Obama after Nov. 2010, was smart enough to see that doing so would get him credit for “putting things back on track” with the public, even though the GOP Congress deserved at least 50% of that credit.

Dark Star on July 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

1965

Obama! Watch it! Here it comes! Wooly Bully.

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 11:08 PM

There will be no songs sung around the world about Romney….

There will be no Nobel Peace Prize…

There will be no “For the first time in my adult life…”

There will be no “They acted stupidly”…

There will be scorn and dishonestly from the media..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 9:19 PM

…and I will be dancing in the streets!
…saw a couple of people with Oblahblah 2012 bumper stickers today…though I don’t see them as often as 2008…difference for me this year…is that I have to pull up next to everyone of them…get their attention…and give them ‘that look’ as I point my finger at my temple and cock the thumb!…some of them get upset!…I got a call from a police department a week or so ago…that I had ‘threatened’ the complainant… I have a dangerous finger!

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Exactly! He drives me insane with that phony crap.

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Are you in the hill country?

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:11 PM

…and I will be dancing in the streets!

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM

What surprising to me is even down in the ATL there aren’t the numbers you’d expect. I too openly mock them. ; )
No trouble so far, I’m certain that will change.

Bmore on July 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Night all!

Fallon on July 6, 2012 at 11:04 PM

You’re welcome! Good night.

Night Owl on July 6, 2012 at 11:12 PM

…and I will be dancing in the streets!

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM

dancing in the streets you say

SWalker on July 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

gophergirl on July 6, 2012 at 11:07 PM

That will be the ONLY reason I watch. I want more people to see his peevishness, immaturity and condescending attitude.

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Exactly! He drives me insane with that phony crap.

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:10 PM

His standard repertoire includes:
* Faux southern Baptist preacher accent, usually with the dropping of gs
* wassup wassup yo dialect for “his people”
* professorial voice for state of the union addresses

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Can I just reiterate once again, how much I treasure and love my fierce HA babes? Wouldn’t want to go up against any of you and glad you have my back. God Bless, darlin’s…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

What’s new, Pussycat?

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 11:14 PM

I’ve already checked my machines, thankfully they’re both clean.

Flora Duh on July 6, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Thanks for the link! Just checked mine and it says I’m ok.

BTW, it was 107 here in St Louis today and broke another record. It’s supposed to be 107 tomorrow and then rain coming in on Sunday with a high of 94.

Vince on July 6, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Dark Star on July 6, 2012 at 11:00 PM

And you’re dead on in this analysis, the more important one, really, and why we and others are on the same page about the wipe-out to come.

They, the intelligentsia and the elites, do not see it at all (as blind as they were in 2010) and once again will be proved wrong, yet keep their jobs and probably even their six digit bonuses for “trying really hard to get it right.” Trophies for even the losers, given their employers’ mindsets.

TXUS on July 6, 2012 at 11:16 PM

1963

jaime on July 6, 2012 at 10:57 PM

For anyone that wants a good laugh check out the Family Guy link doing The Bird:

LevinFan on July 6, 2012 at 11:17 PM

4Grace on July 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM

I tried to respond to you, but they must have me on a short leash.

Let’s try this: