Now TSA wants to test passengers’ beverages at the gate?
posted at 8:16 pm on July 6, 2012 by Howard Portnoy
So, what’ll you have while you wait for your flight: beer, juice, cola, coffee, tea? The TSA is not buying, mind you, but inquiring minds at that agency want to know. In fact their curiosity is such that they want you to volunteer part of your drink so that they can test it at the gate. No, silly, they are not asking you to furnish them with a urine sample (at least not yet!).
What could they possibly be expecting to find? That is a question raised in a news report by Grand Junction, Colo., station KJCT, though answers are not forthcoming.
When asked about the curious policy, all the TSA would tell reporters was
TSA employees have many layers of security throughout airports. Passengers may be randomly selected for additional screening measures at the checkpoint or in the gate at any time.
Travelers interviewed in the newscast rightly insist that they are entitled to know what the agency is up to. Some argue that with the already exorbitant cost of airport snacks, the TSA should let them know before they purchase a beverage whether they are going to be required to relinquish a portion of it. I would take it a step further and say that if agents want a sip of my $5 drink, they should at least be willing to go halfsies on it.
I also think the TSA should come clean on the purpose of this latest intrusion. Are they envisioning enterprising terrorists infiltrating the gate area to plant explosive materials in a drink vendor’s fountain? It sounds preposterous, but if that’s the concern why not monitor the beverages at the point of sale?
Whatever the thinking, the agency only engenders more ill will when they add another “layer of security,” demand passengers compliance, and refuse to let them in on what they are being asked to comply with.
- TSA agent opens and spills jar of human ashes, laughs
- TSA asks female passenger to ‘prove’ breast pump is real
- TSA orders 18-month-old off plane, claiming she’s on no-fly list
- Woman told to extinguish cigarette by airport security strips naked instead
- TSA agents maul child with leg braces, greenlight drug runners for cash
- Newark Airport closes after TSA agent dozes
- TSA agent arrested for hurling hot coffee at pilot
- TSA forces woman with ‘cute figure’ to pass though nude body scanner 3 times
- TSA settles with woman whose breasts were exposed by agent
- Rape victim arrested, manhandled after refusing TSA pat down
- TSA follies: Former “Playboy” Playmate strips, stills gets patted down–twice
- Vibrator in passenger’s luggage wins TSA seal of approval
- TX bill banning TSA from touching “anus, sexual organ, breast” is dead
- 200 thefts per day reported at JFK Airport
- Engineer exposes ‘blind spot’ in TSA scanners; smuggles metal through security
- Woman with dagger in bag slips past TSA at JFK Airport
- “Touch my junk, and I’ll have you arrested”: The TSA’s way or the highway
Subscribe at the top of the page to have my articles sent directly to your e-mail inbox. Follow me on Twitter or join me at Facebook. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or by posting a comment below.
This post was promoted from GreenRoom to HotAir.com.
To see the comments on the original post, look here.
Breaking on Hot Air