The Ed Morrissey Show: Podcast interview with David Limbaugh; Update: Video fixed

posted at 2:01 pm on July 5, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Thanks to the holiday week, we won’t have a live TEMS today, but I do have a treat for TEMS regulars and Hot Air readers. Earlier today, I interviewed David Limbaugh, author of the new book The Great Destroyer: Barack Obama’s War on the Republic, ostensibly to discuss the book itself — but we ended up having so much fun talking about current events that we almost skipped talking about the book at all.

We started off discussing the differing natures of book writing, column writing, and blogging, but then moved into politics.  I asked David about the title of his book, and he replied, “I think we need to be throwing some flames,” given the fiscal disaster looming after decades of overspending — a trend accelerated by Barack Obama.  “If we go the way of Greece, it will be worse for us than Greece,” David said; “no one will be able to bail us out.”  Paul Ryan has a solid plan to pull us back from the brink, even if it’s a gradual return to fiscal sanity, and David urges Mitt Romney to openly embrace it.

Speaking of Romney, we debate the latest campaign controversy over the remarks made by Eric Fehrnstrom over the ObamaCare “tax.”  This led into a lengthy discussion of the Supreme Courts decision, with David’s background as an attorney giving him some unique insight, as well as the lack of graciousness in this debate and in politics in general.  David also tells me where he’s disagreed with me as an example of how people can disagree without impugning motives.  It’s a fascinating and fun interview, one that ends with one of the most, er, unique pitches for a book I’ve seen.  Make sure to watch it all — and to buy the book, which will definitely become a go-to reference for me in this election season.

We’ll be back tomorrow with our Week in Review show with Duane “Generalissimo” Patterson, but in the meantime, enjoy the interview.

Video streaming by Ustream

Update: Not sure what happened to the audio — it was working when I tested it afterward — but I’ve switched to the raw file instead.

Update II: After getting a number of complaints about both files, I reloaded the interview to YouTube, in three segments:

Comments

Doesn’t look anything like David Limbaugh. Did he lose a lot of weight? Am I confused? Yes I know it’s Rush’s brother. Not confused in that way.

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Actually he looks more like he’s related to Marty Funkhouser from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

updog on July 5, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I read Crimes Against Liberty and am about 2/3′s of the way through The Great Destroyer. Anyone who frequents this site will be familiar with 80% of the stuff in those books, but there are some chilling things that surprised even me. The real target audience of these books should be independents and moderate Dems who don’t follow the alternative media. There’s no conceivable way any of them would vote for Obama once they’re through reading.

Doughboy on July 5, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I was listening and watching in between getting other stuff done and then after the 35 minutes or whatever it refreshed the page and I lost my place. Well, onto other things. Sigh.

Who are the “powers that be” that instituted the 35 minute refresh? And why? Long videos “on demand” can’t be watched on demand, straight through. It’s annoying.

First rule of programming, and services — don’t annoy the customer. Why are you annoying the customer?

Paul-Cincy on July 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Good interview. I’ve read other books by Mr. Limbaugh and he is always a good and interesting read. I’ll be adding this one to my must read list.

simkeith on July 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Funny, I thought he looked just like David Limbaugh.

Bmore on July 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Great interview, Ed.

ironked on July 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

I like DL. He boosts talk radio by elevating the conversation. I turn the sound up when he comes on.

Lost the link, but I read three fourths of Greece’s debt is borrowing to cover their National health.

that is one which should be verified and used in the coming months

entagor on July 7, 2012 at 1:01 AM