Team Romney sets GOP fundraising record in June

posted at 6:01 pm on July 5, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

After outraising the DNC and the Obama money machine in May, raising $77 million to their $60 million, Team Romney is still hauling in the campaign cash, far surpassing their own monthly personal best for June. Even without the eleventh-hour donations after the Supreme Court’s ObamaCare ruling last week, it looks like the Romney camp and the RNC are steadily raking it in.

The Romney campaign, along with its Romney Victory fund, raised more than $100 million in June, obliterating the campaign’s goal and setting the one-month record for any Republican campaign, according to a GOP official.

Now-President Barack Obama raised $150 million as he was surging in September 2008, the record month for any campaign. …

The Romney campaign says much of the June haul came from new donors, with states from coast to coast out-performing their targets.

Obama’s fundraising numbers aren’t out yet, but regardless, I’m sure we’re now going to be a treated to more lectures from liberals, lamenting the undue influence of the wealthy and super-PACs in politics. It’s funny how Obama had no problem accepting Wall Street money in 2008, and has dropped in on more celebrity fundraisers than you could shake a stick at, and has yet to issue a cease-and-desist order to his own pro-Obama super-PAC; apparently, he alone possesses the wisdom to know what is and isn’t a moral amount of money to accept from wealthy donors.

In response to the news, the Obama campaign press secretary Ben LaBolt issued this statement to Politico:

“Mitt Romney is trying to distract from a week when he took contradictory positions on the freeloader penalty in the Affordable Care Act and we learned more about his offshored finances in Switzerland, Bermuda, and the Cayman Islands.”

Really? Mitt Romney’s contradictory positions? The Democrats are busily insisting that the individual mandate is most definitively a penalty, not a tax, while their own lawyer argued in court that the mandate could be upheld under Congress’s taxing power. And since his initial response after the ruling, President Obama has been mighty silent about the whole affair.

Despite all the justifications and excuses that are sure to come, I’m going to take this as a victory: We’ve only just passed June, and already people are fired up enough over President Obama’s failed policies that they’re willing to donate their hard-earned cash. We’re already giving Team Obama’s formidable fundraising capabilities a run for their money — and it feels so good. Bazinga!

An RNC political director proffered this humble tweet this afternoon:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

And it’s most welcome considering the doom and gloom that’s been going on here for a week. :-)

Flora Duh on July 5, 2012 at 7:20 PM

I was a doom and gloomer last week, I’ll admit it. I took the 4th to recharge. I read the Declaration of Independance aloud to my kids and watched “The Patriot”. Amazingly cathartic.

Kataklysmic on July 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Get-off-the-jet-ski-Mitt.

Get-out-da-houseboat-Mitt.

tone-deaf.

The great DOTUS is out on the campaign trail in Ohio and you’re doing what?

PappyD61 on July 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Wait until Zero’s website disables location verification…oh, wait!

Who is John Galt on July 5, 2012 at 7:36 PM

This just chaps my hide. The able bodied womb to tomb welfare rats are the “freeloaders”. Grrr.

Bon Qui Qui and her trailer trash barbie friends love taking the ambulance for the sniffles and cramps.

Key West Reader on July 5, 2012 at 7:36 PM

cmsinaz:I think voters are awakening!:)

canopfor on July 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM

i do believe so…

cmsinaz on July 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Lord I hope so!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 5, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Kataklysmic on July 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

I watched some of the ‘Revolution’ documentary on the history channel. It made me feel worse. All that sacrifice – all the concern after the war about constructing a central governtment to glue the states together without becoming too powerful. And today this is what we end up with.

Stray Cat on July 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Kataklysmic on July 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Funny. We did the same thing. I love that movie!

Key West Reader on July 5, 2012 at 7:41 PM

But hey, at least you will still have your principles until Obama decides to tax you on that.

Freakin idiot.

jawkneemusic on July 5, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Obama taxes on what you don’t have, not what you do have.

News2Use on July 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM

And he’s still reeling them in.

Flora Duh on July 5, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Gonna make a nice wall mount.

KCB on July 5, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Stray Cat on July 5, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I understand your concern..Just don’t hit the button yet..:)

PS..Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Get-off-the-jet-ski-Mitt.

Get-out-da-houseboat-Mitt.

tone-deaf.

The great DOTUS is out on the campaign trail in Ohio and you’re doing what?

PappyD61 on July 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Raising 100 million dollars to defeat Obama. There is positive information about Romney defeating Obama in your face and you are mining for turds. This kind of negativity is going to get Obama re-elected.

Elizabetty on July 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Yes, but we did not learn more about all the stimulus money that Obama shipped over seas…because the media did not bother to talk about it.

As for contradictory positions..well,look at Obama’s argument at the Supreme Court. That was nothing but one big contradiction.

The truth is no one expected the kind of decision we got and both sides were left contradicting themselves. Tonight on Fox they said that Romney was agreeing with the Chief Justice whose opinion he did not support when he said that the mandate was a tax…well, the entire Republican party is saying that and they got mad at Romney for not saying it sooner. Meanwhile Obama is not agreeing with the opinion of the Chief Justice whose majority opinion he supports. Surreal.

Terrye on July 5, 2012 at 7:50 PM

INC on July 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM

hahaha. He is one tricky bastid. I will keep my eye on him for sure.

SparkPlug on July 5, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Get-off-the-jet-ski-Mitt.

Get-out-da-houseboat-Mitt.

tone-deaf.

The great DOTUS is out on the campaign trail in Ohio and you’re doing what?

PappyD61 on July 5, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Elizabetty on July 5, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Mining for turds is all some people know how to do.

Never mind the fact that we have months before the election, it is a holiday and no one is paying attention anyway. There is nothing wrong with Romney taking a few days at this time. I am sure he is still working anyway.

Terrye on July 5, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Key West and Cataclysmic hehe Patriot

Who is John Galt on July 5, 2012 at 7:53 PM

barry and his crew are going to get their attack machine going full tilt now

im sure this story is all over the ‘news’..or will be tomorrow AM

Miller said her sister was uninsured when she was diagnosed with colon cancer. Hines, a single mother working to support two young sons, applied for Medicaid but was told she did not meet the program’s financial requirements. Hines soon began a new job where she was given employer-sponsored health care coverage, but as a new employee she needed to be present in the workplace, which ultimately interfered with her cancer treatment.

Hines clocked anywhere from 40 to 80 hours a week, despite her weakening condition. “She worked until she couldn’t anymore so that she could provide for her kids,” said Miller.

Following a 15-month struggle, Hines succumbed to the disease — leaving behind her sons, 10 and 15, at the time.

most of these stories turn out to be fake but accurate. The language that huffpo uses is odd.

she was in treatment..but spent too much time working? And why didn’t she just quit work and apply for medicaid and food stamps etc?

i know co-workers who have passed away due to cancer even with excellent h/c.

but barry’s campaign will feature these routinely….our leftist press will lap them up with joy and ask that evil out of touch Mormon how he could take this away from people

i’m sure barry thinks this is a winner for him in november

r keller on July 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

I understand your concern..Just don’t hit the button yet..:)

PS..Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 5, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Hey Dire good to see ya too! Sorry man, but I’m itching to push it.

Stray Cat on July 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM

That’s great about all the dough raised. But even if money is speech, it isn’t necessarily votes. And Obama unfortunately still has a substantial edge in the polls that purport to predict where those will go.

jeroboam on July 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM

i’m sure barry thinks this is a winner for him in november

r keller on July 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

It may just be given the stupidity and gullibility of the undecided Independents.

Decoski on July 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Mitt should embrace his riches. Just walk up to the mic and say, “I am a rich man, I have been very fortunate, but I also work incredibly hard and understand how business and finance works. I have a long, successful track record to back up that claim. This is a real, proven skillset that I will bring to the Presidency. I have been successful at every level, and with the help of the American people, there is no doubt we will be successful at this level as well.”

KCB on July 5, 2012 at 8:12 PM

That “freeloader penalty” crap will come back and bite Obama in the ass, mark my words. First, the uninsured were victims of greedy doctors and insurance companies. Now they’re freeloaders. Nice.

DRayRaven on July 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Bishop on July 5, 2012 at 6:44 PM

You caught a fighter Bishop.

Flora Duh on July 5, 2012 at 6:54 PM

I’ve always wondered what Bishop does with those catches. Throws them back? Mounts them on the wall, where they continue to carry on like those awful singing bass? Like this one?

de rigueur on July 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

canopfor on July 5, 2012 at 7:30 PM

i do believe so…

cmsinaz on July 5, 2012 at 7:31 PM

cmsinaz:Lets hope:)

canopfor on July 5, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Bishop,

I salute you sir for injecting the jocularity into this thread, laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes, these guys are unbelievable.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 5, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Agreeing with the dissenting justices while acknowledging that the dissent isn’t the law (the majority Roberts decision is) isn’t taking contradictory positions. Now, Obama insisting that it isn’t a tax is a contradictory position because not only did he argue it was before the SCOTUS, but given that the mandate was upheld only as a tax, is saying that the mandate isn’t constitutional. Don’t expect the MSM to pick up/call him out on that though. They’d much rather pretend that Romney is the flip-flopper here and concentrate on what he does with his own money rather than what Obama is doing with ours.

Dark Star on July 5, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Hey Dire good to see ya too! Sorry man, but I’m itching to push it.

Stray Cat on July 5, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Just hang in there!..:)

Dire Straits on July 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM

DRayRaven on July 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM

You beat me to it. 100%. The poor, oppressed uninsured are now freeloaders. I heard some lame-o from the Obama campaign the other day droning on about freeloaders, but he was insinuating that it was the wealthy who fit this label. I thought, for crying out loud, get your talking points straight. The wealthy have the super-Rolls Royce health insurance, it’s the poor who are uninsured. Do they think the 1% aren’t paying their fair share of insurance premiums? It’s to laugh.

smellthecoffee on July 5, 2012 at 10:01 PM

That’s just chump change, no big deal Obama will raise more, you just wait and see.

Sincerely

ddrintn

renalin

riddick

JPeterman on July 5, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Aww, are you conjuring up the ones whose names I dare not speak (superstition, you know, you invoke them and they will be here before you count to 3 :)…

jimver on July 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

My money and my shoe leather are pledged to conservatives. Romney will have to be satisfied with my vote. I think he’d rather have that than my paltry pennies anyway.

SKYFOX on July 6, 2012 at 6:14 AM

Watch this to feel truly motivated:

Cherokee on July 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM

^^example of Democrat troll pretending to be “more conservative than thou”.

crosspatch on July 5, 2012 at 6:41 PM

Have you read the Constitution yet?

Dante on July 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM

i’m sure barry thinks this is a winner for him in november

r keller on July 5, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Even if this story as reported is correct (which is dubious), it only illustrates the mindset of a liberal, not the noncompassion of a conservative.

Why is it a tragedy for this woman to die of cancer but it is not just okay but in some cases necessary for Granny to take the blue pill?

Lib answer #1a: Because health care must be fair.
Lib answer #1b: Because a bleeding heart liberal is the only person qualified to determine what is fair
Lib answer #1c: Because liberals believe that it is unfair for the elderly to receive the same level of care as younger persons.

Mark it down: libs don’t hate cancer, or death. They hate cancer in young people.

rwenger43 on July 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM