Quotes of the day

posted at 10:24 pm on July 5, 2012 by Allahpundit

Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), chair of the House Budget Committee–and potential running mate of Republican presidential hopeful Mitt Romney–told Breitbart News this week that the party’s leaders are “absolutely” committed to repealing Obamacare.

“It would have been nice for the Supreme Court to repeal it for us,” he said, “but it’s no harder today than it was the day before the decision. We win, we repeal. It’s just that simple.”

***

Earlier this week, according to WHAS-TV in Louisville, you predicted that it will be “a lot harder” to repeal President Obama’s health-care law. Why is that the case?

Well, I don’t know how they got that comment out of what I had to say. Let me give you my view, clearly and unambiguously. Repeal of Obamacare will be the first item up in the Senate if I am majority leader. If we have a president who will sign the bill, we will do everything we can to get it off the books, and we’ll be looking for every angle that could be pursued. There has been a lot of talk about reconciliation. The Chief Justice said this is a tax, and we take him at his word, so that certainly makes this eligible for reconciliation. But that may not be the only avenue that we pursue. Our goal will be to get it off the books. In my view, it is the single worst piece of legislation that has been passed in modern times, and I’ve said that on numerous occasions. It’s still my view. And just because the Supreme Court has decided it is constitutional doesn’t mean it’s the right thing to do…

On a final note, what’s your message to conservatives and tea-party activists who are suspicious of Republican leaders and their commitment to repeal?

Boy, I don’t know how they could be suspicious on this issue. Every single Republican in the House and Senate voted against Obamacare. I must have made 125 speeches about it on the floor. If there is any area where I don’t think conservatives of any stripe should be concerned, it would be this one. We’ve been clear and unambiguous about Obamacare from the beginning to the end — all of it. And I led the fight in the Senate, so I know what I’m talking about.

***

ObamaCare has been a war over the processing of insurance claims. It has been fought by institutional interests representing insurance, hospital and pharmaceutical firms. The doctor-patient relationship, or what used to be called “the practice of medicine,” has sunk beneath these waves.

Barack Obama, a savvy pol, understood from the start that rationalizing payments claims through the maw of these private and public bureaucracies was not what the average person thinks of as “health care.” To any normal person, health care means that when you or yours get really sick, the doctors and nurses who attend to you will push all else aside to give you medical help.

Thus, the constant Obama chorus that you can “keep your own doctor.” No one knows better than Barack Obama that his law sends the nation’s doctors on a voyage into an uncharted health-care world in which they are just along for the ride with their patients…

Mitt Romney needs a way to talk about health care in America. This isn’t just a fight over insurance companies. It’s about the people at the center of health care—doctors. The Affordable Care Act will damage that most crucial of all life relationships, that between an ill person and his physician.

***

The fact is that the incentives in our health-care system are all screwed up precisely because of government policies and programs. Medicare, the biggest player in our insurance system by far, is an arcane fee-for-service system that encourages volume over value and inflates (while shifting) costs. Medicaid, meanwhile, has a state-federal structure that makes cost-containment nearly impossible (by having state policymakers make spending decisions while the Feds pay at least half the cost in an open-ended way). And the tax exclusion for employer-provided coverage creates a huge incentive for high-premium insurance while shielding everyone involved from actual prices and costs. All the incentives point to cost inflation and away from outcome-based health economics, so we shouldn’t be surprised to have an inefficient system.

It is precisely conservative reformers who have proposed to change this, and it is precisely liberals who seek to avoid that change. Obamacare doubles down on all of these sources of inefficiency, and it does so on exactly Zakaria’s premise: that the chaos of the market would make things less efficient and only the centralized coordination of a benevolent bureaucracy can make the system work. It’s hard to believe we are still having this argument.

***

Via Gallup.

***

“I’ll work with anybody who wants to work with me to continue to improve our health care system and our health care laws, but the law I passed is here to stay,” Obama said at a campaign event in Ohio.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Sure, take it to bed. It’s only water, it will dry. Puppies are good, I had to buy some Dramamine today for the long ride to VA. They get sick.

Cindy Munford on July 6, 2012 at 4:05 AM

It’s absurd to suggest that some armchair observer has the right to claim the mantle of capitalism from Steve Jobs or Bill Gates or Elon Musk. Those men define modern capitalism and are this country’s greatest examples of American exceptionalism.
bayam on July 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

Yeah, that’s why they took all those jobs to China.

Cleombrotus on July 6, 2012 at 4:05 AM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 3

The air is prolly so dry that it extracted all the moisture out of the plants. It can kill them in one night.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:06 AM

bayam on July 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Why should they when they can take five years of grueling Gender Equity Studies and then whine about student loans. My son is studying Engineering and my daughter is working towards her BA in Physics. If our elementary and high schools would focus on those subjects instead of propagandizing than we would have more qualified students.

Cindy Munford on July 6, 2012 at 4:08 AM

The air is thick and muggy, I think it was the harsh sun that did the grass in…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Cindy Munford on July 6, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Yep. That works. Moisten the forehead too. It can cool you down a bit.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM

And slaves. It is sort of interesting that you don’t mention the critical importance of slave labor to the fortunes of the founding generation…why is that?

libfreeordie

Because it’s not true perhaps? That there must be some of that Founding Fathers mythology Bayam was talking about.

xblade on July 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:09 AM

So it’s humid? Wow the sun must have baked the grass and the muggy air won’t let the heat escape at night.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:12 AM

Sounds like right wing radio talk which, surprisingly, is often based on more anecdotal evidence than facts.
Unfortunately, not that many American kids want to study science and engineering- and that has nothing to do with class offerings.

bayam on July 6, 2012 at 3:56 AM

Lol. It’s like you’re really, really amateur at this stuff. (What are they paying you? Is is $0.25 a post, ’cause I think I could do that… I wouldn’t pay you more than $0.02/post, myself!)

So, anyway…from your post: Am I supposed to believe that left-wing radio is chock full of facts? Can you say, “Air America?” I believe it was on the air for around, mmmm, ten months. Why? Pray tell, why, dummy? (Well, I’ll leave you to figure that out–your Soros overlords might give you a $0.50 bonus!)

Do American kids not want to study mathematics and science?!? Hmmm, what could cause that problem? Could it have anything to do with the government run public education system?!?

Again, I don’t know what your “mission” is. But when your (slightly smarter) democrat overlords see your progress…I don’t predict the usual, “Huzzah, comrade!”

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:13 AM

Ok just go back a few pages and read Cindy’s posts and then I dare you to tell me she isn’t wicked smart.

Tonight she has brought her smokin A+ game.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:15 AM

bayam on July 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM

You want to glorify these few companies because their leaders are lefties but your side has taken a period of great expansion and technological advances of our history and label the leaders of that era, “Robber Barons”. These men connected one coast of the nation to the other, advanced communications, made farming less labor intensive, modernized mining, made things affordable for the average citizen etc. etc. and because they became wealthy, they were despicable. Never mind the libraries, museums, hospitals, grants and scholarships they set up that the world is still using, y’all don’t even give them respect for the trains, and you guys love trains.

Cindy Munford on July 6, 2012 at 4:18 AM

Tonight she has brought her smokin A+ game.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Cindy has been doing that for years here at HA. Why the acknowledgement tonight, as if it is a brand new revelation?

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:20 AM

You can enjoy the products, I certainly enjoy my iphone, but the Jobs-worship bugs me as much as the Beck-worship does.

libfreeordie on July 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM

I don’t even listen to Beck. This might be hard for you to believe, since we on the right so often think for ourselves, rather than have some rich guy somewhere tell us what to think. (Like you do.)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:20 AM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:20 AM

I know she has been the best poster for years but tonight she has raised the bar several notches with some rather inspiring passion and persuasive argument.

It really shines.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:25 AM

And bayam, could you please point out the country to me that has no slavery in its history? I would at least like to know what we are suppose to be aspiring to. I also think that it is amazing that you don’t have the courage to admit that this country lost more of her citizens in a war, that pitted families against families over slavery and states rights. Just what the firetruck do people have to do to prove they were serious about the problem? But it just isn’t good enough for you Lefties. Do you ever wonder what would have happened if the slavery had remained legal when within a decade they would have been made obsolete by the industrial age? No, people died to prove that slaves were human and had the same rights of all humans and it still isn’t good enough for you.

Cindy Munford on July 6, 2012 at 4:28 AM

Popsicles can cool you down quick. Iced tea also.

Maybe a cold shower to lower the body temp.

Hope the drought ends.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:29 AM

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:25 AM

You need to stop, you are too sweet.

Cindy Munford on July 6, 2012 at 4:30 AM

Nah, the two so very wrong liberal cowards left.

Figures. When you have no facts (or common sense) on your side, it can be rough.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:31 AM

Good night everyone, sweet dreams. OC I hope you cool down enough to get some rest.

Cindy Munford on July 6, 2012 at 4:32 AM

Cindy Munford on July 6, 2012 at 4:32 AM

G’night and God Bless, darlin’

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Ok take some ice and put it in a zip lock bag. Then put that in a towel and rest your head on it.

When the ice melts it won’t leak all over the place.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Night, Cindy.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:33 AM
SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:36 AM
…(Good advice.)

Either of you fellas got a tune?

Here’s one.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:38 AM

I think HA should let Cindy do a featured article once per week and I bet it would get a zillion hits.

I say once per week because everyone would be in suspense for her next bit of wisdom.

People would tue in for sure.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:40 AM

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:40 AM

Not a terrible idea. Depends on whether or not she would agree, or like to do it.

What about you? Why don’t you do a weekly column for HA?

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:43 AM

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:38 AM

I can’t post a link to YouTube because I’m on a touchpad.

How about a rainy night in Georgia?

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:45 AM

How about a rainy night in Georgia?

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:45 AM

Lol. I remember that song from pop radio when I was a kid and in the backseat of my folks car! Great tune!

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:48 AM

What about you? Why don’t you do a weekly column for HA?

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:43 AM

Well mainly cause I’m not qualified being perpetually afflicted with writers block. Is that a sentence?

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:48 AM

It seems like many people have some serious anxieties about the future. The outlook is rather grim.

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:51 AM

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:45 AM

You made me think of this one that’s even better, IMO.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Morning already.

Litle was said by the MSM, but this is the photo of Barry heading the thread from another angle.

bayview on July 6, 2012 at 4:53 AM

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:48 AM

Lol. Yes. Grammatically correct, even!

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:51 AM

Having confessed earlier in this thread to being glad that I was childless despite the HUGE instinctual urge that’s driving me, I can totally understand the grim feelings.

(Hell, the GOP doesn’t even (really) want to do anything about it. Do you remember the lackluster response to Paul Ryan’s plan?)

(Think I’m gonna listen to Gladys and her pips once more–made me feel good, that tune.)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:55 AM

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Wow. That’s an oldie but goodie. Music today seems to be stuck in a dead end.

Why is everything going down hill?

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:56 AM

Damn–I can’t even move like the Pips!

That’s smoooooooth, y’all.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 4:57 AM

Still trying to sleep. G’night all…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Why is everything going down hill?

SparkPlug on July 6, 2012 at 4:56 AM

Probably because, as has been said before by smarter people than I, morality has taken a dump. Parenthood is about being “your child’s best friend.” Technology has taken human contact out of the equation, AND people decided they liked it ’cause they’re lazy, at heart.

(Need I go on?)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:00 AM

Whoa..
I have never been up this early…

Good morning…

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:01 AM

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Night, Omaha.

(I’m telling you, dunk your head in ice cold water for thirty seconds. (Yes, hold your breath.) Then, lightly towel off and go straight to bed. Sleep like a baby.)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Still trying to sleep. G’night all…

OmahaConservative on July 6, 2012 at 4:59 AM

Good night..
Or..
Good morning…

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:03 AM

“President Obama will begin a three-state bus tour. I believe the three states are confusion, delusion, and desperation. ” —Jay Leno

bayview on July 6, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Good morning…

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:01 AM

Morning, eV.

Certainly, I’ll be handing off the keys to you shortly. No appointments today, but a bunch of work to get done (sooner or later).

Funny: libfreeordie and bayam were the trolls all thread long. Yet, they were much more civil than I expected them to be. Perhaps the Soros’ Minions Missive came down from July 4th that 99.9% of folks even considering voting thought Odumbo supporters were complete and utter douchebags. (?) Dunno. Of course, as to their ideology, they were utterly destroyed. Peruse at your leisure.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:10 AM

bayview on July 6, 2012 at 5:07 AM

Denial, ignorance, idiocy.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM

Hell with the IT profession, I should write for Leno!

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:11 AM

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:10 AM

I am have been catching up and reading previous posts.
The trolls are somewhat civil…
A calm before the storm?

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:12 AM

libfreeordie

…you’ll have to ask Chris Rock…he’s the history expert!
Cripe! E C and R C are up!…102 degrees in Livonia on the 4th R C!

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:13 AM

I am have been catching up…..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:12 AM

Coffee…
That’s my story….
Need some…

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:14 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Dude…

No inactivity tax for you my friend..

Is it morning…or late night on your front?

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:16 AM

Sparky…you are right about Cindy…prolly her game is up…cause she’s working again.

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:18 AM

Cripe! E C and R C are up!…102 degrees in Livonia on the 4th R C!

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:13 AM

Yeah. I’m in Canton, and I got my BBQ-in’ ass out there to do steaks (Porterhouse) and salmon steaks!

Sweatin’ like a ho without remorse in confession!

Damn good, though. Also, not a lot of trouble lighting the fire. (Lol.) (My grass has been somewhat “crunchy” for the past few weeks. Kinda like Cap-n-Crunch.)

A calm before the storm?

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:12 AM

As I said, I don’t know. I thought (for a very brief moment) that libfreeordie was ready to join the cause of truth, justice, and the American way. bayam–I’m not sure–he mighta just been on Qualudes.)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:20 AM

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:16 AM

…daughter came home to crash here for one night…missed her…so got up for ‘the hug’ as she took off for school again…just checked in here to see what peps were up.

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:21 AM

he mighta just been on Qualudes.)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:20 AM

I default to that reason until shown otherwise.

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:22 AM

Good morning, y’all. WAKE UP!!!!

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM

…just checked in here to see what peps were up.

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Cool…

my story..

Couldn’t sleep.

Decided to go to the office….

now I wish I hadn’t…..

I have this desire to work when in this office….
Just can’t bring myself to doing it..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM

–I’m not sure–he mighta just been on Qualudes.)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:20 AM

…it’s hard to get that K2 to smoke at the party stores and gas stations lately…what are they gonna do!

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM

as she took off for school again…just checked in here to see what peps were up.

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:21 AM

Private school? (Way to go Kool.)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:25 AM

Good morning, y’all. WAKE UP!!!!

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM

Whoa..

Paused it…
Need more coffee to watch that…

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:26 AM

More noise. NOISE!! (picture Beavis.)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:28 AM

Need more coffee to watch that…

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:26 AM

Lol. Warning here for previous post.

Also, it’s way too late in the day for coffee.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Good morning, y’all. WAKE UP!!!!

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:24 AM

…dang bud…you never went to bed…you busy boy last night…you have the coffee ready for the morning crew? I think I’ll sleep another hour yet…

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM

A kinder, gentler way to wake up.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:31 AM

Also, it’s way too late in the day for coffee.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:29 AM

Late in the day?

Try too early….

This 4th thing on a Wednesday..really messed me up..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:33 AM

A kinder, gentler way to wake up.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:31 AM

LOL..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:33 AM

I think I’ll sleep another hour yet…

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:30 AM

Decided to have a few (too many) “pops”, as Mickey Redmond would call them. Gonna go to bed soon (probably after the drink I just poured), and set SEVERAL alarms! (Lol. I won’t lose any business if I sleep through–I’ll just have to work harder tomorrow! F-in’ private sector! (If I worked for the IRS, I could just look at porn…(do whatever came naturally)…and go to bed–Same pay!))

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:36 AM

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:25 AM

…oh heck no!…MSU in Lansing…taking some class, working two jobs and off to Loyola in Chicago for Law school. The oldest is at Ferris and came home for the weekend so she could sleep in ‘AIR’ and the son is home from MSU for the summer. All three home for one night doesn’t happen much.

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Try too early….

This 4th thing on a Wednesday..really messed me up..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:33 AM

Yeah. The joke was that I got up yesterday at about 6:00am. Get it? “Too late for coffee”?

Am I being snarky? Don’t mean it.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:37 AM

Am I being snarky? Don’t mean it.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:37 AM

No prob…

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 5:39 AM

All three home for one night doesn’t happen much.

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Good for you! I’m honestly very happy for you raising three kids through college. I doubt that’ll be possible in a few years.

I trust that you’re raising ‘em right, and that they’ll be immune to the indoctrination.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:40 AM

One more from my secret love. (She’s secret ’cause she doesn’t know who I am!)

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:42 AM

Kinder, gentler.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:50 AM

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:40 AM

…believe me…it’s paycheck to paycheck…and one of them voted for Ron Paul!
Gotta snooze…get some sleep buds!…I’ll see some of you during the day…

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:54 AM

get some sleep buds!…I’ll see some of you during the day…

KOOLAID2 on July 6, 2012 at 5:54 AM

Lol! I voted for Ross Perot in ’92 (my first presidential election)!

I learned. Also, your child will have the advantage of NOT having Ron Paul on their ballot.

Rest well, my friend.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 5:57 AM

Kinder, gentler.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 6:03 AM

Everyone went to bed…

I guess I am dancing with myself..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:04 AM

Kinderer and gentlerer.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Kinderer and gentlerer.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 6:06 AM

Not bad..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Not bad..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:07 AM

Should we comment more on the “Odumbocare is here to stay” crap, or continue to F***-All?

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Best Christmas song, anyone?

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 6:16 AM

Of course, I must revisit my best post of the night.

Good night, moring crew. No damage was done, as far as I could tell, to the club.

See y’all later.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 6:24 AM

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 6:12 AM

Since I have had a few cups of coffee..
And am awake..
f$ck Obama..

Nothing gets me stirred up in the morning than a little tyranny.

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:24 AM

See y’all later.

RedCrow on July 6, 2012 at 6:24 AM

Later.

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:25 AM

had to turn off morning joe again….
they were talking about war time presidents, trashing W and praising dear leader….

unstinkingbelievable…

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Remember, y’all…Obamacare is not a tax and the Middle East is experiencing Democracy…per Obama.

kingsjester on July 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM

unstinkingbelievable…

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:43 AM

They were just being flexible..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Obamacare doubles down on all of these sources of inefficiency

lsm and dems praise this…pfft

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:46 AM

Hey EG…just couldn’t stomach it…

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:47 AM

kingsjester on July 6, 2012 at 6:45 AM

good take KJ…

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:49 AM

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:49 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on July 6, 2012 at 6:50 AM

puhleeze, Mr I Won during the first go around with health care….

repeal this sucker NOW…cripe

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:51 AM

puhleeze, Mr I Won during the first go around with health care….

repeal this sucker NOW…cripe

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:51 AM

2,700+ pages of law…
13,000 pages of regulation so far…

and it still needs improving?

We are so screwed..

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM

repeal this sucker NOW…cripe

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 6:51 AM

I wrote my daily email to the Romney campaign telling him to start hitting back and talking about the taxes in Ocare that are relatively unknown. Am I the only one who’s been extremely depressed to the point of tears? It’s hard to digest the fact that in my lifetime, I will have seen the country flip from a Leave it to Beaver world to the old CCCP. One chance left to stop this monster. One slim chance.

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Electrongod on July 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM

*sigh*

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 7:01 AM

you’re not alone…

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 7:04 AM

What gets me about the long line of Leftists against insurance companies is that they never back up those whines with anything other than regulations… of course that is the way to then influence a company to do the bidding of the Left through grievance mongering… but such things don’t tend to reform a company into changing its ways that were complained about, just put layers of regulation and litigation between those wronged and those doing such wronging.

So if you want the fast and easy solution to something like, say, insurers not paying out benefits that they have agreed to pay out, then change the law to reflect that this is a bad practice and intolerable. Regulation makes it tolerable and more expensive to those getting shafted. Instead of regulation make the law clear and simple: any insurer that is found in breach of contract for payment three times in its history will be barred from offering all forms of insurance.

Really, that will get bad actors out of the market at a rate that will make your eyes water. It will put a positive incentive to companies to write clear and concise policies that do not get into fine print because the chance for misinterpretation of such fine print will be high which will lead to litigation at a faster rate every time the company tries to point to the fine print that is exempting it from vast swathes of liability that they say they cover in larger type, up front. Cleaner policies means fewer bureaucrats to administer it, lowering overhead, which lowers cost of compliance. And, because the penalties are harsh for repeated misconduct and the view that inability to understand what it is you are actually covering in your policies, the simpler and more direct policies must become so as to reduce processing overhead and chances of being seen as avoiding liabilities and doing a ‘bait and switch’ to policy holders.

If you want to eliminate the behavior on the part of companies, then penalize it to the maximum and yet still allow a lee-way so that companies can change their internal policies to survive. Put those penalties on to the parent company of any insurance subsidiary, and the threat to the main office of such a company becomes dire, indeed. Regulation just means you find misdeeds acceptable and just want to raise the cost to all involved and expand government – it does not fix the problem and often makes it worse by shielding bad actors behind a wall of litigation costs the individual can not overcome.

But then I’m just a harsh, nasty person who wants lower overhead on the part of government and higher accountability to the lowest levels of society by all corporate and government actors. Three strikes and you’re out is eminently reasonable, harsh but gives a chance for reform, and final. Plus it puts the power into the hands of individuals like nothing else you can muster from any part of government, from any army of bureaucrats ever devised.

You want to stop the bad activity? Prove it. Put forward something else that penalizes the activity and doesn’t end up protecting the bad actors from their misdeeds… which means you can’t invoke regulatory power beyond something very modest that puts power into the hands of the many, instead of concentrating it into the hands of the few. Seems there was a Nation founded on something like that, once. My bet is that this Nation is about to re-appear on the face of this Earth again, to make tyrants large and small tremble at the sight of free people living their lives full of liberty and holding each other to account for it without much, if any, government ‘help’.

ajacksonian on July 6, 2012 at 7:12 AM

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 7:01 AM

*clink*

renalin on July 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM

*clink*

renalin on July 6, 2012 at 7:18 AM

What’s also depressing is that I live in the best city in the world for healthcare, with MD Anderson in my own back yard. My mother got the best cancer treatment around at age 82 even though she wasn’t given much time. If this isn’t stopped, seniors and probably boomers won’t have that chance because we’ll be deemed too costly by the death panel.

TxAnn56 on July 6, 2012 at 7:26 AM

xblade on July 6, 2012 at 4:10 AM

At the moment of the revolution 1/5th of the population within the borders of colonial America were black slaves. That is significant, no matter how you slice it.I suggest reading Edmund Morgan’s classic book American Slavery, American Freedom.

libfreeordie on July 6, 2012 at 7:30 AM

The man runs down Vegas… and then dares to make ‘Betting on America’ a campaign slogan?

What, is he giving odds for this? Who’s backing them? Which way is Soros going?

ajacksonian on July 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM

ajacksonian on July 6, 2012 at 7:36 AM

very good point aj

cmsinaz on July 6, 2012 at 7:40 AM

Google…….Obamas lefty pals are after the 2nd Amendment again……...

This time not showing gun retailers.

Hey Google…………remember Netscape?

You can be replaced Mr. Schmidt.

PappyD61 on July 6, 2012 at 8:02 AM

I BET the Jobs report is a good one………..

And Romney………..get ready because you and your wealth are about to be destroyed by the GATES OF HELL re-elect machine and the media!!!!

PappyD61 on July 6, 2012 at 8:04 AM