Obamateurism of the Day

posted at 8:01 am on July 5, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

What greater honor can a President have than to attend a naturalization ceremony, especially on the Fourth of July?  The ceremony marks the end of a years-long process for people who came to the United States legally and then worked and studied to become Americans.  Yesterday, Barack Obama got to speak at one such event where the new citizens went the extra mile and served in the US military, too.  What would a President say to these fine young men and women on the occasion of their official transformation into American citizens?

Er … how about a plea to Congress to let those who came illegally get the same honor:

But Obama did more than just welcome members of the military to American citizenship.  The naturalization ceremony took a political turn when the president defended his controversial decision to unilaterally enact some provisions of the DREAM Act — which would put illegal immigrants who came to this country at a young age on a path to citizenship, but which has failed to win passage in Congress — and also to renew his call for comprehensive immigration reform.

“We’re still perfecting our union, still extending the promise of America,” Obama told the group.  “That’s why, as another step forward, we’re lifting the shadow of deportation from serving — from deserving young people who were brought to this country as children.  It’s why we still need a DREAM Act — to keep talented young people who want to contribute to our society and serve our country.  It’s why we need — why America’s success demands — comprehensive immigration reform.”

Did the President understand that the people at this event actually went through all the trouble, time, and expense of coming into the country legally, and then served our nation in the military?  It’s not that comprehensive immigration reform isn’t a valid issue for an election — it certainly is — but making this pitch at a naturalization ceremony, especially this one, makes one wonder if Obama can tell the difference between legal and illegal immigration.  We know one thing for sure: his audience certainly did.

Comments

Ed,

You seem to think the ceremony was supposed to honor those becoming citizens. In the mind of our jug-eared Kenyan President it is all about him.

Happy Nomad on July 5, 2012 at 8:04 AM

He’s so subtle.

Cindy Munford on July 5, 2012 at 8:05 AM

its all about the O

classy as ever…

I wonder what those folks were thinking…dude!?

cmsinaz on July 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM

You gotta be kidding me.

Tone deaf, blind, and especially, DUMB.

Hopefully each of those newly naturalized Americans will do their part to help vote out this POS in November.

VelvetElvis on July 5, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Imbecilic Putz.

Flora Duh on July 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Once again, using those who serve in our military as pawns to further his own agenda…

ITguy on July 5, 2012 at 8:08 AM

Not just wrong…evil wrong.

SKYFOX on July 5, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Maybe Barack was talking about his own citizenship status.

JimK on July 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Obama would need a teleprompter to tell him what to moan during sex.

wildcat72 on July 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Obama could have kept this speech a lot shorter by just calling these newly naturalized citizens what they are (thanks to his lawless amnesty policies): Suckers.

AZCoyote on July 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM

He’s a total embarrassment.

“We’re still perfecting our union…” Obama told the group.

Well, it will certainly be more perfect when this tone-deaf, narcissistic, amateur is ousted from office in November.

KS Rex on July 5, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Hey, but you gotta admit that Obama is more likeable than Mitt because…he gets us and he understands how to reach us on important issues.

Heh, just kidding. I’m with VelvetElvis on this: Tone deaf, blind, and especially, DUMB.

He’s all for people skipping steps and cutting corners to get the prize. How do you think he became president? It’s not like he was qualified or anything.

CitizenEgg on July 5, 2012 at 8:16 AM

@JimK

Maybe Barack was talking about his own citizenship status.

Exactly, JimK.

First thing I thought of- why is a fey subliterate dolt who has yet to convincingly establish his own citizenship speaking (well, reading other people’s words aloud) to those who have not only painstakingly worked the process but put their freakin’ lives on the line to be citizens?

GrassMudHorsey on July 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM

Last summer when my husband and I stopped at Mt. Rushmore there was a naturalization ceremony going on. There were a lot of proud happy people waiting to become American citizens. It was really cool to witness and I’m sorry that our President once again just doesn’t get it.

sammypants on July 5, 2012 at 8:20 AM

AZCoyote on July 5, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Yep. From the comments at WE:

No shame.

I bet these legal immigrants who patiently waited and went through the lengthy process of becoming a naturalized citizen really wanted to hear that.

Probably feeling like suckers right now; some may even regret their naturalization efforts knowing this faux leader is creating the same problems they left their own countries for.

Flora Duh on July 5, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Welcome to the USA you new forced tax payers.They may think twice.It was better being under the radar.

docflash on July 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM

I know it’s early yet, but this has my vote for Obamateurism of the Year. It completely sums up how out of touch President Obama is. Campaigning at the incorrect time, dissing those that worked for their citizenship legally and on the 4th of July.

LynnB74 on July 5, 2012 at 8:25 AM

Got my vote for OOtW already. This is unreal.

he sucks.

Lost in Jersey on July 5, 2012 at 8:26 AM

“We’re still perfecting our union, still extending the promise of America,”

Perfecting a sh!t sandwich on the back of lies..

FORWARD.

Electrongod on July 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Fireworks for Barry…

ITguy on July 5, 2012 at 8:27 AM

How big is this guy’s urinary bladder? He pisses on everything!

ExpressoBold on July 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Perhaps if we are so unfortunate as to still have Obama as our president next year, he might consider speaking at a naturalization ceremony at the home of Hyde Park domestic terrorists.

radjah shelduck on July 5, 2012 at 8:30 AM

…does JugEars have a clue about ANYTHING?

KOOLAID2 on July 5, 2012 at 8:32 AM

Grrrrrrrr

gophergirl on July 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM

My wife is one of those who worked and studied for years to become Americans citizens, & it will be finalized when we fork over more than $600 for her to apply & take the test. Which is certainly worth it.

But don’t cheapen it by elevating illegal immigrants!

itsnotaboutme on July 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM

What an utterly painful punch in the gut to these new citizens. They are more American in their baby fingers than our president will ever be. My heart hurts for them that there was little acknowledgement of their HONEST accomplishments, that he diminished their heartfelt perseverence to become American citizens, but rather gave a hat tip to those who sneaked in under the fence.

I am ashamed and embarrassed for the president of our great nation.

God bless them all in their new lives in our wonderful United States of America.

herm2416 on July 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

He just can’t help himself. Bark would give a campaign pitch to a dead pigeon in a hail storm if he thought it might find it’s way to a voting booth.

Yoop on July 5, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I really don’t hate anyone . It is not that I am super nice – it is that I am too lazy to hate people. It requires effort and passion on my part to do it right. However, I do DETEST this worthless jug eared loser . I despise him with the white hot intensity of a solar flare . I am happy to say the effort involved in hating him is well worth it. I plan to continue to hate him even after the American people decide to throw the trash out in November .

DeweyWins on July 5, 2012 at 8:42 AM

But don’t cheapen it by elevating illegal immigrants!

itsnotaboutme on July 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Kudos to your wife. But, unlike your wife, Obama has never had to actually work for anything. It’s all about the vote.

Yoop on July 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM

He doesn’t respect these people, or the process because he doesn’t respect the rule of law!

Spiders from Mars on July 5, 2012 at 8:43 AM

But don’t cheapen it by elevating illegal immigrants!

itsnotaboutme on July 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM

perfect word for what he is doing…..

cmsinaz on July 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM

The first rule of giving a speech? Know your audience. I doubt the men and women in that crowd wanted to hear that after their having spent years in the military defending this country, The One is now going to allow a bunch of illegals to come in for free, with no sacrifice or effort beyond crossing the border.

Kevin71 on July 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Immigrants escape a corrupt government to embrace…
A corrupt government..

The Obama Promise.

Electrongod on July 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM

But don’t cheapen it by elevating illegal immigrants!

itsnotaboutme on July 5, 2012 at 8:38 AM

The Obama administration’s efforts to belittle the significance of earned citizenship through the right channels is all of a piece with the Soros Open Borders philosophy. It is an undermining of national autonomy while sounding high-minded.

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

My hope is that we help bo find Gilligans Island and leave him there.

tim c on July 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

“That’s why, as another step forward, we’re lifting the shadow of deportation from serving — from deserving young people who were brought to this country as children.”

And taking away your forks when you’re blessed enough to be in my presence.

Flora Duh on July 5, 2012 at 8:55 AM

“It brings me great joy and inspiration because it reminds us that we are a country that is bound together not simply by ethnicity or bloodlines, but by fidelity to a set of ideas.”

Do tell. Why do you and your Democrat comrades use ethnicity to divide us? What set of ideas do you have fidelity to exactly?

Buy Danish on July 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Obama would need a teleprompter to tell him what to moan during sex.

wildcat72 on July 5, 2012 at 8:10 AM

You mean something like this?

OBAMA: OH, LARRY! LARRY! YES! YES! OH, LARRY! AHHH!

turfmann on July 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

So ADP says we added 176,000 new jobs in June. Says it is a sign things are getting better.Here we go….

sandee on July 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM

LEGAL immigrants do not like illegals. I’m surprised he didn’t get booed. In the early 50s my inlaws came to this country from Canada. They went through the proper channels, paid the proper fees and studied for their citizenship test. My mother-in-law tells me that the day before she and her husband were sworn in as American citizens, she had to see a doctor to confirm she was not pregnant. If she has been, she would not have been allowed to take that final vow. She was told “no one gets a free ride.”

Xyz22 on July 5, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Aside from this obvious (and typical) Obama politicking, how did he and the family spend Independence Day?

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Only Americans celebrate the 4th of July as Independence Day. Why would that involve this filthy bastard and his angry racist wife?

Happy Nomad on July 5, 2012 at 9:13 AM

onlineanalyst on July 5, 2012 at 9:09 AM

All that for a piece of parchment?

-Michelle Obama

Flora Duh on July 5, 2012 at 9:14 AM

How big is this guy’s urinary bladder? He pisses on everything!

ExpressoBold on July 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM

“They talk about me like a dog.”

This land is my land

Fallon on July 5, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Is there any event that this guy won’t cheapen with his baloney?

multiuseless on July 5, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Obama to new citizens:

Sorry about all those hoops you jumped through. Should snuck over the border, SUCKAHS!!!

Steve Z on July 5, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Ed:
… makes one wonder if Obama can tell the difference between legal and illegal immigration. We know one thing for sure: his audience certainly did.

Did they? Did Obama get applause after his speech?

Is there a video link?

Sir Napsalot on July 5, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Obama to new citizens:

“Welcome new Americans, now, as your (so-called) president, your first duty as new citizens is to stand still so I can spit in your face a while – I need the votes from all the illegals who didn’t go through what you had to.”

theflyonthewall on July 5, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Obama: “Congratulations on your becoming legally independent citizens on this glorious day in our nation’s history. You are now officially eligible to participate in the HIGHEST TAX INCREASE ever bestowed on American citizens, and oh by the way, I’m going to make it even easier for your brethren to join us, bypassing your endeavors, so they can join in paying these new taxes and voting for me”.

P.S. “I do understand that you’re too stupid to see the real reason for joining this “institution”. We will be sending a pamphlet that will include all the new government benefits that come with your emancipation. (Please fill out Democratic registration form and mail it in immediately, to speed up your bennies.) And, since most of you will remain in the low income bracket, the rest of the nation’s taxpayers will pick up the tab.

Rovin on July 5, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Grrrrrrrr

gophergirl on July 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Grrrrrrr. Grrrrrrrr.

Sometime there just aren’t words.

Just a wordless and growing animosity for this terrible, awful, really bad president. In future, people will argue if he was the worst president in history. Only Jimmy Carter can take comfort in that.

novaculus on July 5, 2012 at 9:52 AM

I am ashamed and embarrassed for our great nation.

herm2416 on July 5, 2012 at 8:39 AM

FIFY

katablog.com on July 5, 2012 at 9:56 AM

I can’t wait to talk with my sister-in-law who is also did things the right way and worked hard and paid the $ to become a proud U.S. Citizen. She is from Colombia and is a staunch conservative now who just happens to find Barky’s pandering to the Criminal Aliens disgusting. She knows that he is bad for America and the future of our Republic. I can’t wait until Saturday when I will see her, this will be an excellent conversation that I look forward to having. My Brother is also a staunch conservative and a small buisness owner who is so upset by the SOTUS descision last week that he will now not only be not hiring any new employees this year but he is now contemplating dropping health insurance coverage for his current ones. He is not very happy right now but he is very optimistic about November. He believes that Barky is out and he said that if that happens he is going to go to Washington for the big party just so he can flip the bird at the helicopter taking the SCOMAF back to Chi-town. I believe I might join him on that trip. The last innauguration I winessed (worked) was GWB’s first but the the best by far was Ronnies second, I was priveleged enough to walk the parade route just ahead of him (was actually on TV which made my family proud) and never felt more proud to have been a part of that day. If Mitt wins in November it might just top the feeling I had that day.

D-fusit on July 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I would have been very annoyed if this speech had been given at my naturalization ceremony. Legal immigrants go through a lot to become citizens and they don’t take kindly to the millions of line jumpers. Sigh.

MichiCanuck on July 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM

You’ve got to admit, he’s getting better. His comments were all about himself, not a shred of recognition for those in whose honor this ceremony was held. But he did not mention the word “I” (OK “We” is close). The teleprompter must have been working properly.

NOMOBO on July 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM

There is a way for young people to get citizenship. But O doesn’t want them to serve in the military.

HotWeaver on July 5, 2012 at 10:15 AM

No doubt that went down well. These people had to go through federal bureaucratic hell and pay handsomely for the privilege to become US citizens.

Next up: Obama tells Cuban Americans in Miami that he has always admired Fidel and Che.

CorporatePiggy on July 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Why didn’t Barry just say “You people are chumps!, you could have just walked across the border!”

GarandFan on July 5, 2012 at 10:31 AM

How big is this guy’s urinary bladder? He pisses on everything!

ExpressoBold on July 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Wait, he has another bladder for something other than urine? I knew this guy wasn’t human!

Nutstuyu on July 5, 2012 at 10:35 AM

The history of the Democratic Party, from even before it called itself the Democratic Party, has been to expand the suffrage among those who will vote for it — at the same time shrinking the suffrage of groups who would be expected to vote for the opposition.

In the very early 1800s, the Jeffersonian Republicans, the forebears of today’s Democratic Party, gave new immigrants who were not yet citizens the right to vote; these non-citizens were expected to support the Jeffersonians.

At the same time, in those states where free blacks had the right to vote, this right was done away with because the free blacks tended to vote mostly for Federalist candidates.

After Reconstruction, voting rights for blacks were struck down because these black voters were supporters of the Republican Party.

Today, the Democrats still want to expand the suffrage to illegal immigrants, de facto if not de jure, by letting the illegals stay in the country and by not requiring proper identification when someone registers to vote or casts a vote. Simultaneously, Democrat secretaries of state in a number of key states have declined to count all absentee ballots from members of the US military in the last several election cycles — active duty military tending to vote for Republican candidates by a clear margin.

Corrupting the voting process: 200 years of Democratic Party history.

J Baustian on July 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Force-feeding new citizens a crap sandwich on day one? Excellent! I was only able to work on getting two votes for Romney yesterday. BO just got us alot more than that.

lynncgb on July 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM

Why would the evil satan celebrate our nation’s founding? He and his angry anti-American fat sow wife are set on destroying it.

jqc1970 on July 5, 2012 at 11:44 AM

No, I don’t wonder at all. It’s proof positive.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on July 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM

but making this pitch at a naturalization ceremony, especially this one, makes one wonder if Obama can tell the difference between legal and illegal immigration. We know one thing for sure: his audience certainly did.

“Welcome to my Amerika, you legal citizen. You are hereby officially on my administration’s potential terrorist list; you are hereby considered a second rate citizen, right after the illegal aliens, who can drive, vote, evade taxes, receive tax refunds without paying taxes, qualify for zero downpayment and zero interest mortgage loanas, receive free hellthcare and pretty much do anything they wish, extra-Constitutionally. If your children so desire they can even become president like I am” — Barack Hussein Obama, President of the USA, circa 2012

p.s. don’t forget to vote for me in Nov. My theme is From diapers to Depends and I will provide them to you freely

Schadenfreude on July 5, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Two questions-
1-the left is so good at bringing us poor “immigrant” stories, ticking off the offenses we heap on them for not giving them everything at taxpayer expense. Why is the right not using some of these examples of true hardworking, law abiding immigrants who went through the process legally to become citizens?

2-I may get blasted for this but why do we allow non citizens to be in the military? Serious question. How do we know they will be loyal to the US? I’m sure nearly all of them are but it seems like we’re opening ourselves up to a whole lot of problems if the wrong person gets in the military, especially if they are patient and work their way up the ladder.

hopeful on July 5, 2012 at 12:20 PM

The lawless power-grabbing crypto-Marxist strikes again.

Keep it up, Zero; the masses are slowly but surely starting to see through your schtick, you malignant festering sore on the ass of liberty.

hillbillyjim on July 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I have, until now, refrained from referring to Barack Obama in terms more derogatory than Resident. But the stupidity of this act, of dishonoring the people in front of you who have paid for the privilege of citizenship through time, effort, money and SERVICE, is beyond comprehension.

Mr. President, you are a pig. You have no honor. You defy justice, discard diplomacy, and ignore the written law of the land, all for self-serving politics.

Shame on you, and on those who have hitherto enabled you.

@Hopeful

People who have filed for permanent immigrant status, who are in process towards citizenship, may enlist in the military. There are roles which they cannot assume, and information from which they remain excluded. Likewise, non-citizens from places such as the Phillipines may enlist. They are required to take steps toward permanent citizenship. It isn’t really more likely that one of these folks would turn out to be disloyal than some Bradley Manning plant who entered service for the sole purpose of “effecting change from within”.

Freelancer on July 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM

The lawless power-grabbing crypto-Marxist strikes again.

hillbillyjim on July 5, 2012 at 12:32 PM

If only, if only…it’s more like “they joined their European ninnies on the line of handouts”…with zero regard of what happens one generation from now.

Leftist looters are the biggest crooks and charlatans in the world. The Mafia has a more honest moral code.

Schadenfreude on July 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

He is and always will be a complete fool.

helenvt on July 5, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Freelancer on July 5, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Thanks for the info. Makes me feel better. Makes sense.

hopeful on July 5, 2012 at 3:03 PM

What an incredible disgrace and an embarrassment for the country. I loathe this partisan, incompetent, hack, and the absolutely stupid liberals that put him in OUR WH.

ultracon on July 5, 2012 at 3:35 PM