Ramirez and Whittle on lessons learned for this Independence Day

posted at 9:41 am on July 4, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The timing of this Independence Day is either ironic or providential, depending on what lessons one draws from the Supreme Court decision upholding ObamaCare.  Michael Ramirez, the two-time Pulitzer Prize-winning editorial cartoonist for Investors Business Daily, leans toward irony in his editorial cartoon from this week:

Bill Whittle, on the other hand, considers it more providential.  The fate of our liberty should not rest on just five people at the Supreme Court, even if that’s their job, as Bill reminds us.  No, the responsibility rests on all Americans, and we already took the first step toward reasserting the primacy of liberty in 2010.  In four months, we can finish the job, and that should have us energized, not depressed:

“They have us surrounded … poor bastards.”  To channel the great Instapunditindeed.

Also, be sure to check out Ramirez’ terrific collection of his works: Everyone Has the Right to My Opinion, which covers the entire breadth of Ramirez’ career, and it gives fascinating look at political history.  Read my review here, and watch my interviews with Ramirez here and here.  And don’t forget to check out the entire Investors.com site, which has now incorporated all of the former IBD Editorials, while individual investors still exist.

Comments

Thank you!

KOOLAID2 on July 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

…you… started my day out right!

KOOLAID2 on July 4, 2012 at 9:50 AM

This Rocks Ed

workingclass artist on July 4, 2012 at 9:51 AM

…boy…I could aggravated some people out on this thread today!

KOOLAID2 on July 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM

…could have!

KOOLAID2 on July 4, 2012 at 9:52 AM

Love the Ramirez cartoon, but Whittle is way too annoying to watch, so pass on that one.

AngusMc on July 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

The funniest Tweet on the Roberts debacle:

“FLASH: no evidence of ‘bath salts’ was found in Justice Roberts’ blood stream after he ate the face off the Constitution this week”

NickDeringer on July 4, 2012 at 10:00 AM

As long as we draw breath. Never give up.

txmomof6 on July 4, 2012 at 10:02 AM

God Bless Bill Whittle and God Bless the USA

Coolidge_Conservative on July 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Whittle nails it. Happy Independence Day!

princetrumpet on July 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

We’re incredibly lucky to have people like Bill Whittle effectively using new media to get out excellent conservative messages. Bill also has a nice 4th of July Afterburner.

I also strongly recommend his Stratosphere Lounge weekly video podcast. Great stuff.

Dongemaharu on July 4, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Without the concept of states’ rights, the only thing “separation of powers” means is the federal government, the federal government, and the federal government all fighting tooth-and-nail to give themselves more power.

States must take the power back. We know the Socialists always become violent at some point. And we need to understand that the sooner that happens, the better off everyone will be.

logis on July 4, 2012 at 10:10 AM

LOVE Ramirez!

Happy Independence Day.

A bad day in America is still a good day – at least for now.

GeorgieGirl9 on July 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Bill Whittle needs to be on Romney’s staff of writers—-this message rocks!

Rovin on July 4, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Nice as always, Whittle.

I’m not there yet; I wouldn’t call it ‘despair’, I’d call it ‘resignation’; ‘recognition of reality’; observing what the GOP are *already* telling us about how strong their convictions are about repealing this.

They won’t. Certainly, let’s destroy the Dems in November and send overwhelming majorities of GOP to Washington.

They still won’t.

So in the meantime, I’ll work to win in November – and prepare for Valley Forge.

Midas on July 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Thank you Bill Whittle!

Flora Duh on July 4, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I heart Bill Whittle!

After that, you must experience this glorious rendition of The Star Spangled Banner by a band called Madison Rising, comprised of Navy Vets. Awesome!

Naturally Curly on July 4, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I agree with Whittle, except for the despair part. No despair for me, just a conviction reaffirmed to try harder, work harder, and succeed. I have in the low thirty’s folks who after talking to them in depth about the problems we face assure me they will vote and vote Romney. I still have four months to go. More souls to recover. I do it without once becoming an apologist for Romney. I actually inform most folks, he isn’t my choice, based on my own principles. Yet here we are, its important enough to me to table principle for a short time. Its that important. Get Busy! Stay on Message!

Bmore on July 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

It’s going to take striking the FEAR of God into the RINOS in the U.S. Senate.

Dr Evil on July 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Bill Whittle never fails to inspire.

MadisonConservative on July 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM

In four months, we can finish the job, and that should have us energized

My thoughts exactly. As I posted on the Summer Ecnomic Slowdown thread:

With this optimistic expectation in mind this July 4th has added meaning for me, for in 4 months we may declare our independence from the socialist cancer that has been growing in our country for decades.

Cody1991 on July 4, 2012 at 9:43 AM

There is one caveat, however: We still have years of work ahead of us. This is the beginning.

Whittle definitely rocks, imho. So, after the anger and despair what can I do? “Five people”, Bill says. Can I find five people committed to voting BO out of office? I think so. And I’m going to ask them each to find five more.

My plan is to have copies of two articles explaining ACA; one explaining the manner in which this legislation was passed. Perhaps this article: http://spectator.org/archives/2012/07/03/obamacares-hideous-history-rec and another explaining in simple terms, i.e the actual costs involved, what it means on an individual level. I’m looking for the second article and open to suggestions.

I’m not good at arguing with people who are uniformed. What I can do is ask them to read the information because I respect their opinions and would like their feedback. Hostility won’t win especially if they feel belittled. It’s an issue of being informed. And I’m going to ask them to pass the articles to five of their friends.

That’s my plan.

Cody1991 on July 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Nice as always, Whittle.

They still won’t.

Midas on July 4, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Yeah, we learned that lesson when, as so many here predicted, Boehner, Issa, and the Republican House didn’t follow through on the Contempt of Congress vote against Holder.

Flora Duh on July 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Thanks Mr Whittle, I/we needed that.

I have personally stepped up my efforts of reaching out to apolitical folks (the drones are a waste of time)and started dialogue that I hope educates them to the tyranny afoot. My problem is, I live in Louisiana, Obama will already lose here by 20-40 points.

Keep up the great work, I still love to email these vid’s to all the dimwits I know.

General America on July 4, 2012 at 10:57 AM

I love this guy. It is up to us and if don’t get it done we will have know one to blame but ourselves. Happy Independence Day.

Sparty on July 4, 2012 at 11:02 AM

The fate of our liberty should not rest on just five people at the Supreme Court, even if that’s their job, as Bill reminds us. No, the responsibility rests on all Americans,

Misguided and wrong-headed as it was, I think this is the point Roberts was trying to make. We (the US, collectively) made our bed when we (again, collective we) voted 0 and the Dhimms into office in 2008, now we can lie in it, or re-make it. 2010 was a good start.

I can see November from my front porch.

iurockhead on July 4, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Valerie Jarrett interviewed on the radio a few days ago:

Interviewer: “The President and the White was clear that this was not a tax, but Chief Justice John Roberts, that’s how he framed it and frankly without calling the… huh, the healthcare bill, looking at it as a tax versus through the commerce clause, that’s how this thing was upheld so…I’m sure you guys are happy the Chief Justice framed it that way….”

Jarrett (interrupts):

We will take it any way we can get it. I mean we argued both ways…we thought that it fell within the commerce clause, the court ruled it was…um, a tax, but we really look at it as a penalty, whatever they want to call it.”

Well, then. We’ll get rid of it any way we can get rid of it. And in November, the horses’ asses that it rode in on.

de rigueur on July 4, 2012 at 11:23 AM

I know you are probably serious about that, but you really ought to give it more thought, Ed. Do you really think Romney would get rid of the legislation allowing the US government to murder US citizens without a trial? End the use of drones to spy on us? Roll back the thousands of dictatorial and unconstitutional Executive Orders? Stop the out of control EPA and Dept. of Energy from destroying American enterprise and jobs? To actually shrink government or just slow it down a little? How about get actual criminal trials for all of the perpetrators involved in the torture and massacre of the Branch Davidians in Waco almost 30 years ago. After all, there is no time limit for murder.

I think the repubs will be better than the democrats, but they have helped to destroy our freedom and create an out of control and unaccountable government almost as much as the democrats, so I don’t have a lot of hope of any real changes happening. Economically, there are some differences between the parties, but other than that? Not so much.

woodNfish on July 4, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Cody1991 on July 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM

That is a great idea. I struggle myself with how to talk to people about all of this and you’ve given me some ways to get started.

Awesome Whittle vid and especially the Ramirez cartoon.

Happy Independence Day.

PatriotGal2257 on July 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Thank you Bill.

Kataklysmic on July 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM

but Whittle is way too annoying to watch, so pass on that one.

AngusMc on July 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

really

R E A L L Y??

SO you just gonna bend over and give up?

Not MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE dammit!!

Katfish on July 4, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Thanks, Mr. Whittle, I needed that.

Cindy Munford on July 4, 2012 at 11:37 AM

General America, I live in Oklahoma where every county went red for McCain/Palin in 08. My thought is we can work to add to the overall vote total. Let’s make sure we lock up the electoral AND popular vote. Yes We Can!

tj4osu on July 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Flora Duh on July 4, 2012 at 10:30 AM

… which was awesome, because I hear Holder’s really uncomfortable in his jail cell. Oh wait…

Call me when they do something of consequence that isn’t for show. You think they did that in anticipation that the DoJ would enforce it, or knowing that nothing would happen to him?

Tell me, does it hurt to be so gullible? So gullible that you actually believe they will repeal this thing rather than enjoy the power that comes from managing it – despite history, and despite the GOP already being out there laying the groundwork for *not* repealing Obamacare, etc?

Hey, remember how the GOP – with control of all three branches of government – reduced spending, expanded liberty, etc? Yeah, I don’t either. So why do you persist in stupidly thinking this time will be different?

Midas on July 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Any Marine would recognize the nod to Chesty Puller in Whittle’s video. Nicely done.

Great 4th to all and Semper Fi.

av8tr on July 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Wittle and Ramirez portray the gravity of what we all must face, and change or there’s no hope.

Speakup on July 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

Sorry Bill..Whittle not Wittle.

Speakup on July 4, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Midas on July 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I’m going to tell you the same thing I tell liberals when in a debate, as soon as you start the name calling – I’ve hit my mark.

Flora Duh on July 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Flora Duh on July 4, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Nice try, but ‘names’ are nouns – I used adjectives to accurately describe your commentary.

But I’ll tell you the same thing I tell liberals when in a debate – the moment you become unable to refute the point and change the subject, I’ve hit my mark.

Midas on July 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I would guess that 2012 is going to be the perfect storm of electoral politics. 2010 was just a warmup, as in the past is prologue. If it was just one of the many issues that we face today, it wouldn’t probably be a deal breaker, but it’s just the latest in a long series of “incidents” that has defined this ineptocracy. The Tea Kettle is on the boil.

JimK on July 4, 2012 at 12:07 PM

Midas on July 4, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Well bless your heart.

Have a nice day.

Flora Duh on July 4, 2012 at 12:08 PM

PatriotGal2257 on July 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Like so many people I was angry and demoralized. In my case it began with the 2008 election – actually prior to the election. It was a perfect situation for the Dems to elect a truly socialist son of their party. Roberts’ capitulation was the last straw for me.

What to do? Well, like many people I can’t buy any influence by being a huge contributor. But what most people like myself possess is personal influence. We simply have to target our market and use a little Sales 101.

I’m not going to try to take on the most die-hard BO supporters. There are, however, plenty of people who are weary of the debate. They are worried about the future, and they are demoralized. I don’t want them to sit out this election. My purpose is to switch the light on again for a few moments, make them realize their vote is critical on Nov. 6th, and understand that we will make sure people get to the polling booth. In my area I know there are plenty of people who feel this way. Many are seniors, and their children and grandchildren listen to them.

I’m going to make sure that anyone who is unable, for whatever reason, to vote on Nov. 6th can vote absentee. It’s quite easy in my state.

That’s how I see my mission at this point. I’m not interested in converting the heretics of freedom and baptizing them. Someone braver with more moxcy can take that on if they wish. I’m just one, ordinary woman with a very specific task at hand.

Narrowing things down makes problem solving easier.

Cody1991 on July 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM

In four months, we can finish the job

Sorry, this is incorrect.

We’re going to be spending the rest of our lives on this. And, we’d better hope we have good people to pass the fight along to.

The fight for liberty is never over. Our enemies will never give up. Neither can we.

trigon on July 4, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Midas on July 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

…you mad bro?

KOOLAID2 on July 4, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Bmore on July 4, 2012 at 10:21 AM

I don’t look at it as tabling principle so much as accepting that there is only one path by which we preserve the Republic, even if the probability is not high. Romney can be pushed right and may do the right things; he has also been adamant about repealing ObamaTax. With Romney we get a certain probability that is non-zero of pulling this thing out, particularly if we work to get more Republicans (and especially conservatives) elected while throwing out more Democrats. The other person who has a non-zero chance of winning the White House offers a zero percent chance of ever doing the right thing and a zero percent chance of reigning in federal power because he is doing everything he can to expand that federal power and was responsible for the abomination that bears his name, ObamaTax.

I’m not tabling principle, I’m pushing for the only realistic chance of establishing conditions such that it can once again gain a foothold.

AZfederalist on July 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Midas on July 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I hear you. That assault weapons ban passed in 1994 under Clinton, then extended when the Republicans held all three branches is proof of that.

Oh. wait.

AZfederalist on July 4, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Narrowing things down makes problem solving easier.

Cody1991 on July 4, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Excellent points. I need to overcome my timidity and my tendency to see the vast forest first instead of focusing on a few trees. Thanks for these suggestions.

I’m the type who needs an instructional manual for some things. :)

PatriotGal2257 on July 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

AZfederalist on July 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

…just hope more and more people are thinking like you…and it builds until November.

KOOLAID2 on July 4, 2012 at 12:42 PM

AZfederalist on July 4, 2012 at 12:33 PM

Well said.

Kataklysmic on July 4, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Great 4th to all and Semper Fi.

av8tr on July 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Absolutely. I watched the vid, just waiting for the “As Chesty Puller so famously said while fighting the Red Menace…” but never heard it.

And November 2012 is not at all the end of the war. It is indeed a major D-Day. Just as November 2010 was Patton’s charge across Sicily. There will be more skirmishes and battles ahead. November 2014 will be the Battle of the Bulge as we throw Lindsey Grahamnesty out of the US Senate.

Think about this: Republicans have never had a 60-vote Supermajority in the US Senate, while Democrats have. In November, I expect to see mid-to-high 50s. And 2014 has the Democrats elected in the 2008 Obama/Democrat wave who are representing Republican states. Regardless of the events of 2013-2014, there is a very strong possibility that Republicans will, indeed, reach that 60-vote Supermajority. Think about that, and keep up the fight beyond this year’s elections.

John Hitchcock on July 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I can’t improve on what everyone has already said about the Ramirez and Whittle pieces.

As much as I loved the end where Whittle asked us whether it would be easier to motivate five people instead of what all those brave Americans did, I can’t get over his mentioning what I have heard all my life–”Hey, it’s a free country.” We have arrived at the point where it is not really true anymore.

jazzuscounty on July 4, 2012 at 1:27 PM

John Hitchcock on July 4, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I have always thought that 2014 could be the turning point provided we had similar results as 2010 in both 2012, 2014. I do have one concern and that is that those elected prior to 2014 don’t get seduced by the power and wealth of DC.

chemman on July 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Allow me to recommend two articles for this Fourth of July, one mine and the other an internet friend of mine’s.

Communism, Socialism, Progressivism And The American Founding from me.

Born on the Fourth of July from my e-friend.

Get informed, get educated, get involved. And don’t just focus on POTUS or US Senate or US House. Work on State Legislatures, City Councils, Boards of Education, dog catchers, all elected offices from top to bottom.

John Hitchcock on July 4, 2012 at 1:38 PM

chemman on July 4, 2012 at 1:35 PM

The TEA Party Effect might prevent much of that. With the 2010 TEAnami and the 2012 Reinforcement (with Republicans getting Primaried out or scared straight due to surviving a serious Primary challenge), it is a safe bet that Lindsey Grahamnesty is ruing the day he said the TEA Party wouldn’t survive but a second.

A Founder said when Government fears the People, we have Liberty. Well, there are not a few Republican leaders who have started to fear the People who elected them. If the TEA Party flyovers keep up the pressure, those Republicans will be too afraid of facing their electorate to do the stupid nasty so often seen in DC prior to the TEA Party uprising.

Or so I hope.

John Hitchcock on July 4, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Thank God for Bill Whittle. It is time to call out the wolfhounds, for the wolves are preying on the sheep, and the shepherds have taken a holiday.

Freelancer on July 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Freelancer on July 4, 2012 at 1:48 PM

+100

Also time to wake up some of the sheep and remind them that they also have the ability to take on the wolves.

AZfederalist on July 4, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I’m the type who needs an instructional manual for some things. :)

PatriotGal2257 on July 4, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Many of us do especially when it comes to things that are outside of our normal routines, aka ‘comfort zones’.

The interesting thing is that once a commitment is made more ideas spring up. I finished doing some terribly mundane housework which I always find to be incredibly dull and mind-numbing. Still, a few more ideas popped up.

Is there a Tea Party group near you? If so, get to know the folks. They can help. If not, connect online and go forward.

I’m off to a cookout to enjoy the rest of the day.

God Bless our country and each and every one of you!

Cody1991 on July 4, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I am optimistic. The progs got us to where we are now with 100 years of persistent pressure on the cultural, educational and political level. It was always going to take awhile to undo that. If we give up after only four years, we don’t deserve to be called the heirs of the Sons of Liberty.

We’ve won every battle we’ve fought. The grassroots have no representative in the SCOTUS as even the conservative judges were appointed primarily based on their abortion stance. But we won big in 2010 and in Wisconsin. The Dems have been ignoring the lessons of 2010. We’ll beat them again.

xuyee on July 4, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Today, 236 years ago, men who knew they had everything to lose, and only one thing to gain; men who knew the odds were heavily against them; men who understood that even if their dream succeeded, most of them would not likely live to witness it; agreed to throw off the chains of tyranny, pledging their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor in the battle for Liberty.

These Men, who believed in the Providence of the Almighty, who understood that the “law of nature, and of nature’s God” was the sole source of universal rights, declared themselves free from the bondage of a despotic and enslaving government.

Their national descendants have abdicated the authority they took upon themselves as citizens, and handed that authority up to new slave-masters, permitting them through apathy and irresponsibility to legislate new bonds for the people of the one nation on Earth most free.

Do not blame the Resident of the White House. Do not blame the political parties. Do not blame the Supreme Court or the joint Houses of Congress. Blame anyone who should know the nature and purpose of this once-great nation and has become comfortable in their ignorance. Blame anyone who does know, but who does not act in that knowledge. Blame anyone who chooses to let others decide for them “how things are”.

Ours is a government “of the people, by the people, and for the people”. To any extent that such is no longer true, it is the fault of those people.

To any extent that those people are misguided, misinformed, or misindoctrinated, blame the media who have failed their sole responsibility of holding government accountable to those people through honorable reporting.

It is time for some things to move in reverse, returning to their proper places in this society, and for others to move upward. Left, right, or forward are directions which have all been usurped and misused.

Independence is failing on this Independence Day. Declare for yourself that you will not remain idle in this fight. Honor the Founders, take up their pledge.

God Bless America

Freelancer on July 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM

AngusMc on July 4, 2012 at 9:57 AM

IMO Bill is one of the best vloggers for thinking conservatives out there today. Are you annoyed by the scars or what?

Bunsin2 on July 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Bunsin2 on July 4, 2012 at 5:30 PM

Same kind of person who claims to be so annoyed by Sarah Palin’s voice that they fail to notice that she’s right.

Freelancer on July 4, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Freelancer on July 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Very inspiring. Thanks for taking the time.

Kataklysmic on July 4, 2012 at 6:01 PM

That hit me like a punch to the gut.

YehuditTX on July 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I have been standing on busy corners since August 2009 trying to influence people with my signs/messages. There are few of us doing this. A friend tried to organize a nationwide organization to do this but it failed since people could not consistently give up a couple of hours of a week for this effort. I figure our young men and women in the military sacrifice a lot, including their lives, to keep us free, but very few of we Americans, who are safe at home, can sacrifice a little to try to convince our largely apathetic citizens to realize what is happening to their county and liberties. The most educated citizenry, possibly in the world at the time, were convinced to surrender freedom for supposed security under Hitler; a situation that Benjamin Franklin warned us about. “They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety”.

amr on July 4, 2012 at 10:00 PM