Video: Noted diet cop havin’ fun presiding over insane hot-dog-eating spectacle

posted at 8:14 pm on July 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

The standard excuse for this sort of nanny dietary hypocrisy, duly recited by Bloomberg this morning, is that no one ever said that it’s categorically wrong to indulge. Splurges are fine, so long as they’re occasional.

Not mentioned: A “splurge,” apparently, can involve eating upwards of 70 hot dogs at a sitting. William Saletan saw it coming in a piece at Slate last month:

[A]fter Bloomberg spoke at the 2003 weigh-in, his office posted video of his remarks. “This Fourth of July, roughly 150 million Americans across the country will enjoy at least one hot dog,” the mayor rejoiced. “Think about that: 150 million people scarfing down a typical American food.” Bloomberg noted with admiration that there’s a “science and strategy to the massive and swift consumption of hot dogs. I have to tip my hat to all of you who are competing. You are fine athletes.”

Critics puzzled over the mayor’s fetish. CNN’s financial editor called the contest an “orgy of overeating” and asked why Bloomberg would “dignify” it, “especially at a time when health experts are warning that so many Americans are obese.” But Bloomberg kept coming back. By 2007, he was using the weigh-in ceremony to extol gluttony. “Independence Day is a wonderful time to celebrate our freedoms,” he declared. “The right to eat as many hot dogs as possible—although not expressly named in the Bill of Rights—was no doubt on the minds of the framers.”…

To Bloomberg, it’s all in good fun. Shoving fat, salt, and white bread down your throat is a circus act, to be gawked at and celebrated on TV. But soda? That’s a health threat requiring government-enforced portion control. You can have it one way or the other, Mr. Mayor. You can preach moderation or the right to stuff yourself. But you can’t do both.

Apparently you can. After all, the hallmark of the soda portion ban is its arbitrariness. The city’s not stopping you from drinking more than 16 ounces at one sitting; it’s not even stopping you from buying a Big Gulp from certain vendors who are exempt under the new regs. It’s a small, almost random infringement on personal liberty designed to help the public get comfortable with the idea of their diets being regulated, a tentative first step on the slippery slope. That being so, why shouldn’t Bloomy endorse the occasional food orgy? If it sets a bad example and leads to more overeating, that’s fine — all the more reason for more intrusive regulations. If worse comes to worst, they can impose portion or serving controls on hot dogs too. Asking this guy to be more consistent about health policy as he becomes more powerful almost entirely misses the point, I think. And in fairness to Bloomberg, I’m not so sure that the hot dog eating contest cuts against his basic message. He wants people to think of gluttony less as an easy, enjoyable indulgence and more as a risky, deliberate, hopefully sporadic choice. The contest arguably helps him do that: It’s gross, no one onstage appears to be enjoying themselves, and the sheer volume of food consumed inevitably calls attention to how unhealthy it’d be to eat this way even semi-regularly. A prominent event that decouples binge eating from pleasure probably doesn’t make things better but I doubt it makes them worse.

Via Breitbart TV, here’s the nanny-in-chief caught in a rare endearing moment.

Comments

He is allowing the hotdogs to walk so he can track down the hotdog kingpins.

pedestrian on July 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

It’s a trap.

Philly on July 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Weiner.

hillbillyjim on July 3, 2012 at 8:21 PM

Maybe the Fat Cats at Big Soda should hold a soda chugging event at Coney Island that brings in some tourists dollars. That might get Nanny to lift the ban on large sodas.

Flange on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

If liberals didn’t have the most twisted sense of right/wrong, as well as unsesible logic, what would they have?

preallocated on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Why? He can’t resist the tv cameras. Chuckie Choomer phenomenon.

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

NY’ers love the moron nanny, they deserve him .
I will be cheering for my town’s hero –Joey ” Jaws” Chestnut
:D

burrata on July 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I love how he asks “who wrote this sh*t?” at the end of the clip. It’s funny, because that’s generally my reaction whenever I come across one of his obscenely statist nanny policies.

I also asked the same thing just a few hours ago when I was looking over the Obamacare decision. Then I remembered, and the heartache returned.

I believe the 4 real conservatives* had the same reaction when they became the first and only people in history to ever read the health-care bill.

(*Yes, Kennedy is, at the moment, an Honorary Real Conservative. Good behavior must be rewarded as vigorously as bad behavior is punished.)

RINO in Name Only on July 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Beckel puts out a hit on The Boss:

Weaponized misogyny, literally; Bob Beckel: ‘If I was Juan Williams, I’d wake up next to Michelle Malkin with a shotgun’

davidk on July 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM

If this slob is still employed by FOX, there is something seriously wrong with Ailes and Murdoch.

burrata on July 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Beckel puts out a hit on The Boss:

davidk on July 3, 2012 at 8:32 PM

Beckel is a fat piece of crap.

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 8:38 PM

If this petty dictator really liked “fast food” he wouldn’t have banned sodas over 16 oz because, if you go to most of these places, the only way to get a 16 oz soda is to order a 24 or order a 16 without any ice. They take the 20 oz and fill it so full of ice, you’re luck if you have a 14 oz when they’re done.

The citizens of New York City deserve this guy.

bflat879 on July 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM

NY’ers love the moron nanny, they deserve him

I wouldn’t bet the college fund on that. Bloomberg got in after Gulliani mostly becuase he spouted the same center-right politic policy that Rudy did.

As we all know, Bloomberg is the definition of flip flop. He’s no more a Republican than I’m a penguin, and this crap with the smoking & soda etc worrying about my “health”?

Want me to stay healthy? Let me keep more of my money, keep my guns on me, and btw…clean up the damn subway with more than just rainwater and bum urine, please.

I will be cheering for my town’s hero –Joey ” Jaws” Chestnut
:D

burrata on July 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

I love me some Nathans, but telling ya, those guys (and gals) that do the contest…cant see it…

White Castles, sure…LOL

BlaxPac on July 3, 2012 at 8:40 PM

Wow…..just wow!!!

Our Progressive rulers must really have a great har har about how stupid the people are that they rle over……kinda like what Hitler must have done in the thirties when he rose to power.

Here in America?…….its just a Good time (and I don’t mean that Carly Jepsen song either).

PappyD61 on July 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Stuffing your face till you’re sick isn’t achievement; it’s just wrong.

AltTuning on July 3, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Fairness to a statist, communist, socialist, elitist, nanny tyrant? Are you kidding, AP, or just trying to run up the hits?

Bloomberg is and has always been a liberal government-down, we-know-better, redistribution-of-income guy. Like his boy toy in the White House.

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Autostart vids = Stupid.

Join the 17th century, HotGas.

Bishop on July 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Autostart vids = Stupid.

Join the 17th century, HotGas.

Bishop on July 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Glad I’m not alone on this. Annoying beyond measure.

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Mmmm.

Hot dogs.

Good Lt on July 3, 2012 at 9:20 PM

Beckel needs to be medicated even more.

Philly on July 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Mr. Bloomberg looks like he could use a hot dog or 2 himself.

#ScrawnyMofo

;P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Mr. Bloomberg looks like he could use a hot dog or 2 himself.

#ScrawnyMofo

;P

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM

……….and…I know where he can stick those!

KOOLAID2 on July 3, 2012 at 9:46 PM

In our Republic the first people to blame for bad leaders are the PEOPLE…They have the power to vote and no one can force them to vote for one person over another…

mnjg on July 3, 2012 at 9:53 PM

Having lived in NYC as a young punk (I would be called a “youth” if I lived in Paris) in the late 60′s I must admit that the Nathan’s Hot Dogs were not too shabby, although I also give high marks to the classic Hebrew National model.

They’ve now also exported their other stuff nationally via Wal-Mart, with Nathan’s Famous Mustard (you have to use up the whole bottle before Labor Day or it will go bad) as well as frozen Fries and Rings. The latter 2 are not exactly low fat foods.

Food Cop indeed.

Del Dolemonte on July 3, 2012 at 10:38 PM

Bloomberg: Who wrote this sh*t?

Hey, Bloomturd, pull that corncob outta your ass an join the human race!

minnesoter on July 3, 2012 at 10:40 PM

I’m sure Gloomy couldn’t wait to get home afterwards and immediately did an herbal colon cleanse followed up with a 2-week green tea fast and several weeks of thrice daily meditation to get the pictures of those stuffing faces out of his head.

stukinIL4now on July 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Who wrote this (poop)?

Add childish to left-leaning nanny-stater.

itsnotaboutme on July 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Nathan’s – Public Enemy Number One.

Ward Cleaver on July 4, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Autostart vids = Stupid.

Join the 17th century, HotGas.

Bishop on July 3, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Amen. I hate that shit.

Ward Cleaver on July 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM

What a pig. He’s shoving the hot dogs in the wrong hole.

Wolfmoon on July 4, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Voters deserve whoever they re-elect.

V-rod on July 4, 2012 at 1:52 AM

Sadly, due to stomach problems, I am no longer among the 150 million, or whatever that number is here in 2012, who can enjoy a hot dog of any sort. Will one of you kind souls out there scarf one down for me and think of old Kraken while you’re enjoying it?

Thanks, and God Bless wieners!

Kraken on July 4, 2012 at 3:20 AM

There are only so many ways to arrange the letters of the word hypocrit and Mike’s trying to find them all

Not-a-Marxist on July 4, 2012 at 7:05 AM

Elitist progressives are always above the laws they pass for the commoners, dontya know!

EasyEight on July 4, 2012 at 9:41 AM

I’d like to invite Bloomberg to do us all a favor and kill himself.

woodNfish on July 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Mayor-B isn’t paying attention. The Libtard-in-Chief has shown that he can tax people for not doing what they are told. Mayor-B missed must have missed the headlines on his own network when he outlawed the more expensive larger drinks. People will now buy the cheaper smaller drinks which will cut into NYC’s sales tax revenue. He should have doubled up and declared a Big-Gulp luxury tax.

Pay attention dude you are missing out!

WestTexasBirdDog on July 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Bloomberg is the epitome of a grand-stander and also a flaming hypocrite. I cannot believe New Yorkers elected this idiot to the mayors office!

rockncoal on July 5, 2012 at 9:06 AM

This is great.
Just consider this, after Bloomberg the ‘uppereastside’ types will vote Alex Baldwin in to the Mayors office.
Makes sense, doesn’t it. A perfect fit.

Missilengr on July 5, 2012 at 1:51 PM