Team Romney: No way are we declaring a “ceasefire” on health care

posted at 7:01 pm on July 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

The inevitable reassurance after Eric Fehrnstrom’s “not a tax” soundbite kicked off a new round of anxiety over Romney. When Allen West is on Fox News in primetime telling conservatives that it might be time for some new presidential campaign staff, you know the moment has come for damage control.

So is the Romney campaign, in fact, declaring a “cease-fire” on Obamacare? No, no, no, says Romney spokesman Ryan Williams. “From our perspective, Obamacare has been and will continue to be a central issue in the campaign,” says Williams. “It presents voters with a bright line that divides the two candidates. Gov. Romney is going to repeal Obamacare and President Obama is going to keep it. There is a clear choice in November.”…

Williams notes that Romney made a public statement, shortly after the Supreme Court decision was announced, pledging his continued determination to repeal the health care law. In addition, Romney’s “Day One” commercials, which prominently feature the promise to repeal Obamacare, are still playing in several states. The campaign also released a web ad after the Supreme Court decision, promising to keep up the Obamacare fight. It also made regular announcements on the amount of money the campaign raised from supporters who oppose the Supreme Court ruling. And Romney’s campaign website, MittRomney.com, is filled with emphatic promises to repeal Obamacare.

So much for National Journal’s “ceasefire” speculation this morning — although I do think Team Mitt expects it’ll be roundly forgiven by the right for letting this issue slip during the campaign so long as their chances of winning are increasing. If those horrible new manufacturing numbers signal a wider economic downturn and end up sending Romney out to, say, a consistent four-point lead, no one’s going to be clamoring for him to shift his messaging from the economy to a battle o’ the mandates. A few lines about O-Care in his stump speech will suffice. The only way in which this ends up center stage, I think, is if (a) Obama and Romney get into an extended “ObamaCare vs. RomneyCare” exchange at the debates, when health care will assuredly come up, or (b) if the economy surprises everyone and starts to grow faster, forcing Mitt to come up with a Plan B. ObamaCare — or ObamaTax, if Team Mitt is willing to embrace that argument — is a logical fallback plan, but in light of Fehrnstrom’s answer last night, it looks like the Romney campaign wouldn’t at all be comfortable fighting that fight. They can do it if they have to by focusing on the cost, rationing, etc, but my hunch is that they think public opinion’s already more or less cemented on this. (The fact that the needles haven’t moved much in the post-SCOTUS polls seems to confirm that suspicion.) If Obama’s leading by four in September thanks to an economic rebound, it’s hard to believe that the thousandth iteration of “one-size-fits-all health-care plans are bad” will make up the difference. (If the public believed that, they wouldn’t be so keen on Medicare, right?)

All of which is to say, the “ObamaCare = ObamaTax” argument might be the only thing left to say about the program that the public hasn’t heard before (much) and which might actually move the needle. Is Romney’s team willing to embrace it? Stephen Hayes urges him to bite the bullet:

It’s inconceivable that at least some of the campaign this fall will not focus on the differences between what Obama did at the federal level and what Romney did in Massachusetts, with the Obama campaign seeking to obscure those differences and Romney trying to accentuate them. Why not call it a tax and include those differences in that debate?…

“It doesn’t quite matter whether Romney calls this a tax, a penalty, or a potato. Voters will call it a tax and so will every other Republican candidate running for every other office,” [a Republican strategist] says. “It will be the most popular attack ad in Senate and House campaigns. Much like the president resisted the term Obamacare before he embraced it, we are two months away from even Romney calling it a tax. Gravity cannot be suspended.”

Is that the Hail Mary if Romney ends up trailing with only a few weeks to go — telling America that he’s learned the hard way what ambitious mandate-driven health-care programs can do and urging it to repent while it still has time, like some Ghost of Health-Care Christmas Future? Can’t imagine Team Mitt would be eager to run on a “my signature gubernatorial achievement was a terrible mistake” platform, but we’re gaming out worst-case scenarios here.

Here’s Allen West last night on Fox pushing the ObamaTax line and urging Romney to follow suit.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 7

i’m just a humble conservative fed with with the lies of the gope. and now to see romney on jet skis laughing and having the time of his life sickens me.

our country is going down the toilet and all you want to do is hang onto romneyturd,

no thanks.

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Bye. You sound bitter and jealous; two attributes that work well for the Democrats

thebrokenrattle on July 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

I’m not demoralized. Buck up. Obama is all that is necessary to get any red blooded American sufficiently fired up.

VorDaj on July 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Absolutely!!! I’m more fired up now then before the courts decision! Get busy, get that good energy going again, and get folks fired up to be rid of 0!

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Because if you can convince me that there is any salient difference between the federal PPACA and that crap sandwich that Romney fed the voters of Massachusetts, you need to be working for the Romney campaign instead of that two-bit hack Fehrnstrom.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

The differences between the two would be lost on you. You aren’t smart enough to understand. Bless your heart.

Happy Nomad on July 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Ever since ObamaCare was passed, Rasmussen polls have consistently shown that about 55% of likely voters want it repealed, and less than 40% want to keep it. Some of those 55% might not have supported Romney for other reasons, and may have been willing to put up with 4 more years of Obama without ObamaCare, if SCOTUS had struck it down.

Now that SCOTUS has upheld ObamaCare, those 55% know that the only way to repeal ObamaCare is to elect Romney President and a Republican majority in the Senate.

Romney needs to promise to repeal ObamaCare, starting with his promise to issue waivers to all 50 states, in order to consolidate those 55% of “repealers” around his candidacy. Last time I checked, getting 55% of the vote means getting elected.

Steve Z on July 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

i’m very demoralized. worked my whole life, for what? to live in socialist country?

romneycare is the end of our country. i hope people finally wake. i’m not hopeful.

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Take a stiff drink and stop being so demoralized. Your job is to demoralize the liberals.

VorDaj on July 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Sorry pal, Mark Levin ain’t running this year.

AYNBLAND on July 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Mark Levin co-authored the precursor to Obamacare? Really?! News to me. Argumentum ad nauseam much?

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Some of these people need another enema as apparently the one Obama has been giving them for the last 3 1/2 years isn’t sufficient..

VorDaj on July 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

LOL!

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Are you one of those Democrats that they pay to pose as a Republican or a conservative?

Listen, Romneycare exists in one state, Mass….it does not effect the other 49 states. If you do not know the difference between Romneycare and Obamacare..then read the 70 page Romneycare bill and the 2700 page Obamacare bill and I bet that somewhere in that 2600+ pages you will find some differences in the two bills.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

romney invented obamacare. he stands to personally profit from its implementation e.g. mark leavitt.

the gop?. well its a tax right. more money in the their filthy paws to shackle us even further.

problem is i can’t take off to malta like they can.

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Well, they are the 1%, aren’t they. Go bleed somewhere else, like in your occupy tent, we’re all stocked up here.

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Mitt… fire Fehrnstrom, hire Allen West.

profitsbeard on July 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Sorry pal, Mark Levin ain’t running this year.

AYNBLAND on July 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM

That’s not what I meant obviously but I’ll go with it. Levin might as well have written it considering he, Rush, Sean and everyone else endorsed Mitt in 2008. Two years AFTER RomneyCare passed.

If anyone’s a fraud, it’s them not Mitt.

AYNBLAND on July 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM

I hope nobody is fooled by a new load of BS dumping out of Romney’s mouth. I sure won’t, I’ll be voting for Gary Johnson regardless.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM

The Daily Paul called. They said to tell you that polling has indicated the plan to sabotage the GOP this election is not working as planned. Time to report back to headquarters for some new strategy sessions.

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:52 PM

Actually Mark Levin supported Mitt Romney in 2008 and the Mass Health Care plan was popular with many conservatives when it was passed. Good thing for them that flip flopping is okay fine for radio talk show hosts.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM

Steve Z on July 3, 2012 at 7:51 PM

He has promised that.

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 7:56 PM

He won a lot of primaries. That means people voted for him. I know that is hard for some people to understand, but then some people are not all that bright.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Yeah and he won those primaries by being ruthless and negatively campaigning… And then he gets to the general and handles Obama with kid gloves. (sigh)

melle1228 on July 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Come on, Mitt, don’t blow this.

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Agreed.

All he’s got to do is be the grownup in the room & stay disciplined.

GOP needs to pull it together like a solid wall of reason.

The election will turn on the disaster that is the Unicorn Prince and his adolescents on parade in Washington DC.

workingclass artist on July 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Happy Nomad on July 3, 2012 at 7:50 PM

I know there are differences. Just not salient differences, to my mind. But even whether there are or not, how come Romney’s not talking about them? The primary’s a done deal. It didn’t turn out the way I wanted. Okay. Now I’d kind of like for Romney to at least campaign as if he really wants the job. “I’m not Obama” may not work so well as a campaign slogan pre-convention.

My biggest concern right now is twofold:

A) I don’t see Romney differentiating himself from Obama on several key issues, health care among them.

B) When I ask rombots why this is the case, I get a talking point recycled from James Carville ca. 1992: “It’s the economy, stupid.”

Romney as good as has my vote. So why do I keep harping on him? Because “I’m not Obama” simply is not good enough for everyone. I’m really really hoping that he ratchets the rhetoric up a few notches post-convention, but given the history of Republican party politics in the twenty-first century, I’m not holding my breath.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

…you know the moment has come to get off the stupid John-Kerry style jet skys and fast boats and embrace reality.

The Mitt team are political lightweight morons. They were given a gift from Robers, such as it is, and they blew it into the wind.

Laura Ingraham is furious with the John Kerry image and tone-deafness.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Mitt… fire Fehrnstrom, hire Allen West.

profitsbeard on July 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Wouldn’t happen.. West would overshadow Romney and everyone who “loves’ Romney would call West a blowhard.. see hotair VP boards for examples..

melle1228 on July 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

if you really think that romney wants to repeal obamacare, your dreaming. he’s on a ski boat now. having a great time. off to meet the palestinians next.

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 1:14 PM

cold comfort. romney on his jet skis as we speak. off to malta no doubt to high five his buddy. have a drink or 2 in honor of teddy.

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Next time, don’t forget to mention magic underwear.

bayview on July 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

jet skys = jet skis, and out of the sky, or something like this.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

problem is i can’t take off to malta like they can.

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Then go to Spain

burrata on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Thing is…this is an issue Romney could use to define what his candidacy is all about (Romneycare aside)…and clobber Obama about the head…has he…Nope…will he…Nope.
What has he said on the topic that the American people have heard…zilch.
Is it a hot button issue…through the roof…what do we have…he and his wife on a jet ski…

winston on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

melle1228 on July 3, 2012 at 7:57 PM

Bull. Romney won by fighting and winning. On one hand people complain he is a meanie and on the other hand they complain he is not mean enough.

He has not handled Obama with kid gloves. That is just a lie. A flat out lie.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 7:55 PM

“Many conservatives?” Weasel words much, Terry? I don’t think it’s too much to ask of Romney for him to do something — anything — to make me feel good about voting for him. But then, I have this whole outdated notion that politicians should serve me instead of the other way around.

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Chris Christie has offered to help.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Which would Obooba care to campaign on most?

“My signature achievement is a penalty…”

…or…

“My signature achievement is a tax”?

Either way it’s a shiite sandwich w/o the bread.

Akzed on July 3, 2012 at 7:10 PM

..absotively posilutely correctomundomente bienly dead on the point! And if it stays (no matter what the fluke it is) money flies out of my wallet, I don’t get that hip replacement surgery when I’m 85 and I gotta take the blue pill when I catch the Big “C”.

All of the lip-flapping by Roberts, The Pantload, Hannity, BOReilly, The Ghey Ghuy at CNN, and all of the bum-osculating, mirror-fogging, swooning MSM newsturds doesn’t change thing one.

The War Planner on July 3, 2012 at 8:00 PM

melle1228 on July 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

That is not true.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I fear fighting tough, just like Bush, is not in him…nor does he fully embrace /understand conservatism.
Does he have my vote…you bet!

winston on July 3, 2012 at 8:01 PM

If Mitt wants to be president, he needs to speak as if he wants to lead this nation…not like he wants to be a Democrat.

kingsjester on July 3, 2012 at 7:38 PM

It’s not a matter of rhetoric but of principle. Romney doesn’t have any and nothing he says will change that. He had an opportunity to show what he was made of when he was in office and failed.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Here’s what I’m doing about it. I’m talking reason to all the reasonable folks I come across. I mock 0 every chance I have publicly. Complete strangers included. A new and different message on the truck wherever I go,i.e., one day it might be, Worst Ever! , one day, Buyers Remorse, another day, The 0 Economy, etc. always printed in dark blue with white letters and the o is always 0′s logo. Mock him publically as often as you can, if done correctly no one gets offended most people enjoy. I have also been busy getting folks who have never voted, signed up, it’s fun! Get busy, if you want this bad enough, you will. Off to the airport for more mocking. Good times! Later. ; )

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Bingo..Apparently you can’t support someone and still be objective about how they campaign. You have to toe the line and say that they are doing wonderful or you are a traitor. The only problem is that the other side has already remarked on all the weaknesses that all of us are bringing up and are exploiting them. So lets all keep our head in the sand and think that Romney can win simply by not being Obama and be shocked-SHOCKED I TELL YOU when he is beaten in November

melle1228 on July 3, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Laura Ingraham is furious with the John Kerry image and tone-deafness.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Who cares if Laura Ingraham is pissed? I’m surprised at the extent to which so many on this side buy into the tired old lib class warfare garbage. He’s allowed to take a vacation and enjoy himself as he sees fit…any criticism can simply be volleyed back in Obama’s direction.

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM

What did Axelrod say about it? I don’t know either.

Why is there such a fuss over what a “spokesman” says?

Romney himself said he would repeal it.

Until the media puts Axelrods words above Obama’s words, don’t promote the spokesman above the candidate.

petunia on July 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

You will entertain us in the same exact way as you did with McCain.

May God grant us all a different outcome, alas.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Keep your sarcasm to yourself as it is obvious you missed the blog post above altogether. Even GOP hacks who shoved the liberal choice down our throats now realize what Romney HAS to do, no way around it.

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 7:40 PM

No he doesn’t. Obamacare and Masscare are NOT the same thing, no matter what bubble-heads like Debbie Wasserman-Schultz say. Are WE not deeper thinkers than Debbie Downer, for pete’s sake? Seriously.

Murf76 on July 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

So basically Romney’s campaign theme hasn’t grown beyond “But I’m not Obama!”

That’s a winning strategy. Especially with swing voters.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM

You and the 0.65% of 2012 voters should be proud.

Spliff Menendez on July 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Please. The vast majority of ‘Rombots’ would’ve voted for her over Obama. She chose not to run though, so it’s pointless to even speculate about it.

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Riiight…

So, in addition to delusion its mass amnesia as well. You mean you forgot how GOP “elite”, Rove, Coulter, Kraut and most others were so against her PRIOR to declaring?

Keep drinking that GOP kool aid, seems to be working just fine. I know its way too late by now to ask “What if…”, but please, do not twist the facts.

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Republicans are so quick to jump on Romney for something he didn’t even say.

And the vacation pictures of Romney surrounded by the generation he is trying to save this country for… is very inspiring.

What is Romney’s motive? Look at the kids in the ice cream shop.

petunia on July 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

petunia on July 3, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Another honey-bunny.

The right is soooo incredibly stupid. Write to Mitt to grow a pair so we can win this thing.

Tell him to get the fruck off that jet skis and the fast boats, in such a miserable time, when the opposition can’t wait to paint him, for good or bad, as an out of touch weido.

God, grant me the serenity to suffer my ‘own’ side better!!! And God, please grant them some semblance of sanity and reality, lest all will be lost, for the children and for freedom, such as it’s left.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Murf76 on July 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Geez, for chis’ sake…

What part of this don’t you understand, tell us and we’ll say it to you SLOWY since you don’t seem to grasp what is more than obvious to most by now:

“Romney is quickly proving himself to be what some of us expected, very reactionary without a clear alternative to Obamacare,” said one Republican congressman. “The American people want and need the truth from him. Romneycare was both legal and a failure at the state level. Romney should just come clean.”…

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

gryphon202 on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

I have the same notion and what does that have to with the comment anyway.

The truth is that when Romney worked on Romneycare he had the support of the Heritage Foundation who helped write it…Jim DeMint supported it. In 2008 Romney was the conservative alternative to McCain. If Romneycare was such an awful thing that all conservatives hated so much then Rush should not be shilling for the Heritage Foundation today. Jim DeMint should not be a favorite of the right either. Maybe if some of those people had the reaction to Romneycare then that they have today they would have a little more authority on the matter…as it is there is a lot of hypocritical grand standing.

Do not blame Romney for the inability of his critics to come up with an alternative. Thus far they have accomplished nothing other than giving aid to the Democrats and to Obama.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM

petunia on July 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Keep going. Were it not so tragic it w/b down right entertaining. I’d rather be at the barricades with libfreeordie or Uppereastside. I’d know exactly what to do with them.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Mitt… fire Fehrnstrom, hire Allen West.

profitsbeard on July 3, 2012 at 7:54 PM

No, firings attract media attention. Just bring on other spokespersons and make Fehrnstrom irrelevant.

Happy Nomad on July 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Nah, it won’t do much good. Oh well…what can you do? I mean, we’re only talking another four years of Obama, here…can’t be that bad./

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Nothing left to do at that point but keep your head down and tune in the Doomsday Preppers show for tips.

I sincerely wish this never-ending tantrum would finally be over though. It’s July already. Time to get off the sidelines and get the game on.

Murf76 on July 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Murf76 on July 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

A frigging GOP CONGRESSMAN is saying the obvious, its THAT bad by now and self appointed Mensa deep thinkers refuse to understand that.

When even GOP Congress now is discussing the issue it IS a HUGE issue.

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

So she wasn’t their preferred candidate at the beginning…doesn’t mean they wouldn’t have supported her in the general against Obama. Doesn’t take any GOP kool aid to know that.

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

God, also make me verify my spelling before I post. On the other hand, there are priorities in this war.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Murf76 on July 3, 2012 at 8:05 PM

Splitting hairs isn’t going to win anything. Contrasting yourself with Obama will. So what does Romney do in the wake of a devastating defeat for conservatives? Contrasts himself with Obama by going on a lavish vacation in a foreign country while the American economy suffers.

Spend your money here in the USA. Don’t be a douche.

Perceptions.

Spliff Menendez on July 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM

VorDaj on July 3, 2012 at 7:49 PM

enemas from obama, high colonics from mitt. yipee!!! whats a conservative to do?

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM

You;re giving them way too mcuh credit. There is no Starbucks at the barricades, it will be an easy walk for us.

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Mitt, as Patton said: A-TAX!, A-TAX!!, always A-TAX!!!

profitsbeard on July 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM

I sure won’t, I’ll be voting for Gary Johnson regardless.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM

You told us that a thousand times. We all know it. None of us are convinced to do the same, because it’s as Utopian as voting for Obama. It’s tragic to watch what both sides do to your generation, it really is. If I’d be given to take out one party, with one move, I’d take the right out for you.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

Then sit home with your thumb up your butt in November. Go ahead.

8 out of 10 people from the state of Mass would disagree.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Oh, so we moved from “she didn’t announce” to an excuse of some sort. Typical RINO way of dealing with things.

Whatever…

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM

Good one, you misunderstood me. I’m with you, entirely. I wouldn’t waste more than a few secs with them.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:07 PM

So? Just because the guy is a Republican Congressman doesn’t necessarily mean his advice is sound. Romney’s doing fine. He’s not “reactionary”. He’s actually pretty light on his feet returning attacks. And he didn’t do anything wrong with MassCare. That bill was passing with or without him. He did the best that could be done with it.

Murf76 on July 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Fortunately for the gop…..ObamaGod is worse than they are!!

Throw ALL……BigGov lovingProgressives out of office…..IN EITHER PARTY.

PappyD61 on July 3, 2012 at 8:14 PM

8 LIBERALS out of 10 from the state of Mass would disagree.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

FIFY

Next time you post at least make an effort to think. You may just like eventually and join the ranks of adults.

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Murf76 on July 3, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I have my doubts it’ll ever be over. I think some people hope he loses just for the opportunity to say I told you so. Doesn’t matter if that means another four more years of Obama, they’ll see it as a vindication of sorts and that’s what’s most important. Not true of all, certainly, but for some I think it is.

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

8 out of 10 people from the state of Mass would disagree.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Of course and after 10 years of entitlement of Obamacare 8 out of 10 people won’t want to give that up either just like medicare.. Because once you start a frickin entitlement you can’t stop it.. its mean..

melle1228 on July 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Spend your money here in the USA. Don’t be a douche.

Perceptions.

Spliff Menendez on July 3, 2012 at 8:10 PM

And here I thought class warfare was just for the left.

Romney came out the day of this decision and said that he would repeal this bill…

Now, where he goes on vacation is his business. After all, he is paying for it with his own money.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Some of you, go to Drudge, yes, that one, the one who is Ann Coulter’s friend and who absolutely despises Obama…go look how many links deal with the topic of this thread. Even he’s getting exascerbated.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

And here I thought class warfare was just for the left.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Doesn’t matter.

It looks bad.

The people running this campaign are worse than McCain’s group.

tetriskid on July 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Whatever…

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

What the hell are you talking about? Sheesh. She didn’t run, period…time to get over it already.

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I just pointed out that more than 2 seconds would be more than enough effort on these “warriors” :-)

Libs are talk. Even in Russian Revolution it wasn’t them to did the “warring”, it was useful idiots who were kept drunk and promised the pillage and plunder.

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

We have to remember we don’t have a free press any more so they’re apt to put out these little tidbits, claiming an anonymous source, and see if it sticks. It used to be the Democrats did this and the media just didn’t look into it, now, I believe, the press is actively participating.

I hope Romney understands he’s up against, not only the Democrats, but the majority of the MSM too. If he doesn’t wake up to that, he could lose this election. He’s going to be under assault from now until November from all sides so, if he feels he can trust them, either ABC, CBS, NBC, MSNBC, CNN, or NPR, plus most of the liberal rags, he needs to take a step back and rething his media strategy.

Allen West has already let the Palm Beach Post editorial board know he’s not going to do an interview with them because of their liberal bias. We’ll have to see how that works, but I think more and more Republicans should do that. There is no sense going into an editorial board meeting and waiting for them to come up with a “gotcha” question. Until such time as the news establishment refuses to hire people schooled at Columbia School of Journalism, it may be time to avoid the press altogether. There are other ways to get your message out and the press isn’t buying ink by the barrel any more.

bflat879 on July 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

He can’t repeal a darn thing, without the same House and a new Senate.

In theory he can go on a John Kerry windsurfing ride, of course…wiht his own money.

This is not a matter of what we believe one can do with their own money. This is about winning the damn presidency so he can do something against ObamaTax.

You can’t be helped even if one wants to help you win.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM

melle1228 on July 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

You are acting as if the people of that state have no right to support policy for their state. Mass is a sovereign state. Only 7% of the population was not insured..this policy was supported on a bi partisan basis in that state with the support of that population. They still support it…so apparently they do not think it is a failure.

It would not work here in Indiana. Mitch Daniels did help people through a program here that gave aid to some people to purchase private insurance..but that is a state program and I doubt if it would work in other states either.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:19 PM

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

I know – I was trying to say the same without getting hammered.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:20 PM

He has not handled Obama with kid gloves. That is just a lie. A flat out lie.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Essence of denial.

MadisonConservative on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Romney disengaged, that unnamed congressman means ‘Romneycare Part Deux’ when he says ” a clear alternative”, and We The People keep falling for the lies.

Either we support these corrupt-o-crats whose hands are on our wallets, or we do something different. I’ll not support the liberals. Will you?

DannoJyd on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

He can’t repeal a darn thing, without the same House and a new Senate.

You can’t be helped even if one wants to help you win.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Well obviously it takes more than the president to repeal the bill..but then again if he did not say he was going to repeal it, people would complain about that too.

As for perceptions, I had not heard anyone say anything about this until I saw it on this thread. I do not care where he goes on vacation.

Most people do not constantly look for stuff to complain about.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

In other news…
“Two More Democrats Won’t Endorse Obama; A Third Won’t Attend Convention…” http://ace.mu.nu/

All Romney & the GOP have to do is stay disciplined & present a solid wall of reason to win the Independents.

The alternative is Obama & his adolescent BFD gang of thugs.

workingclass artist on July 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Happy Nomad on July 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM

Agreed, and Firestorm, while a damn good campaign strategery guy, great quick response team for the most part, is just not ready for prime time on the telly. He doesn’t need to be fired, just should be unleashed to do his thing from the inside, while Romney promotes/hires someone else to do the mouthpiece stuff.

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 8:24 PM

He has not handled Obama with kid gloves. That is just a lie. A flat out lie.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 7:59 PM

Essence of denial.

MadisonConservative on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Essence of denial? At least I know the damn primary season is over which is more than can be said for some people.

Romney has an ad out calling Obama a liar. He has said Obama is wrecking the country. He has said he is a job killer. He has said this election is about the soul of the country.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Just went to Drudge. Yes. Lots of stuff on Willard’s latest pratfalls, and Romney’s awkward jet-ski homage to Kerry’s infamous wind-surfing images is a dark omen for Team Stupid Romney.

Note to Romney’s idiot handlers: Old men should wear more clothes, not less.

casuist on July 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

In other news…
“Two More Democrats Won’t Endorse Obama; A Third Won’t Attend Convention…”

workingclass artist on July 3, 2012 at 8:23 PM

A clear sign of the times

thebrokenrattle on July 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Then get informed. It’s all over Drudge, who’s for Mitt, and all over the news, print and TV.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

Note to Romney’s idiot handlers: Old men should wear more clothes, not less.

casuist on July 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Romney campaign = McCain campaign.

tetriskid on July 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

You do realize you just made a case for EVERY liberal entitlement program there is..If the voters support it then by god those that don’t should just cough up their money and pay for it anyways.

And forgive me if I laugh at “bipartisan” support in Massachusetts… You mean liberal and liberaler…

melle1228 on July 3, 2012 at 8:27 PM

I do not care where he goes on vacation.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

I don’t care either, but the media/enemies and Obama and goons do, and they’ll make hay out of it.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

changer1701 on July 3, 2012 at 8:15 PM

They’re likely to get their wish at this rate. With friends like these… huh?

Murf76 on July 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Doesn’t matter.

It looks bad.

The people running this campaign are worse than McCain’s group.

tetriskid on July 3, 2012 at 8:17 PM

oh please. No one cares about this crap.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Romney and his useful idiots are nothing but excuses on top of excuses on top of excuses… On and on and on… Never facing the truth, facts and reality.

I am sure RomneyBots will now invalidate Drudge as well, never mond he was complicit with GOP in shoving Romney our throats.

riddick on July 3, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Don’t bother trying to explain the media or messaging to Romney superfans.

tetriskid on July 3, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Note to Romney’s idiot handlers: Old men should wear more clothes, not less.

casuist on July 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

All he now needs to do is parachute from the LaJolla skies into a pot of gold.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

The only people I have heard mention where he went on vacation have been socalled conservatives on this thread. I have not heard anyone else even mention it.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Uhh no.

Why do you think Obama made a huge press announcement that he was cancelling his vacation?

To score media points.

Whoever is running this campaign needs to be fired yesterday.

tetriskid on July 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

oh please. No one cares I don’t care about this crap.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:29 PM

Fify, gratis. You don’t live in the American Idol reality which campaigns are, like it or not.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

tetriskid on July 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Yeppers…Obama is a one lucky bastard.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

It is funny how when someone like Sarah Palin took hell from the media it was because they were picking on her, but if Mitt Romney gets some bad press it is because of his handlers or whatever.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:31 PM

Because you are uninformed you blame the “conservatives on this thread”, for utter shame. You can’t be helped.

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Mr. Individual Mandate has NO intention of repealing federally mandated healthcare. The writing is on the wall:

Get it yet? The GOP insiders want Willard to announced his Romneycare Part Deux, not any plan of repealing it!

This crapt doesn’t come out of a vaccuum.

DannoJyd on July 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

True. This is why Obama constantly appears on ESPN, the NFL, etc.

This vacation stunt plays poorly with “low info voters” ie. stupid people.

This just isn’t smart.

tetriskid on July 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:35 PM

That is what liberals do best, my friend.

DannoJyd on July 3, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Schadenfreude on July 3, 2012 at 8:33 PM

You know what people care about? The fact that they can not find a job or afford gas or pay for their house…so much of this constant noise goes right past them.

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

In Sarah’s case the media were the liars. In Romney’s case the lies are coming from him and his supporters. Get it yet? [probably not]

Conservative Romney my aching 0bama!

DannoJyd on July 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Note to Romney’s idiot handlers: Old men should wear more clothes, not less.

casuist on July 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM

As long as he avoids mom-jeans favored by Barry he’s alright

workingclass artist on July 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM

Terrye on July 3, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Romney get’s bad press over this because as the grandfather of Obamacare he is the worst possible candidate, and if Obamacare is a tax then so is Romneycare, making Obama and Romney among the biggest tax hikers in American history.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 8:39 PM