Quotes of the day

posted at 9:11 pm on July 3, 2012 by Allahpundit

Hostility toward the Supreme Court has risen sharply since Chief Justice John Roberts Jr. upheld the Obama health care law. People are apparently angry that the court didn’t rid them of a law they detest. But that’s silly. If Americans want to replace this thing, they should do it themselves

Republicans say they trust the people. If that’s true, then they won’t waste another futile breath bashing the court for upholding Obamacare. They’ll explicitly tell the country how they would replace it. Democracy is a contest between alternatives, not a deus ex machina stroke from the lords in black robes.

***

It’s on his to-do list, but U.S. Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell says the odds are against repealing the health care law championed by President Barack Obama…

“If you thought it was a good idea for the federal government to go in this direction, I’d say the odds are still on your side,” McConnell said. “Because it’s a lot harder to undo something than it is to stop it in the first place.”…

If given control of the Senate next year, McConnell said he would support using budget reconciliation rules to repeal it. Doing so would prohibit Senate filibusters and require only 51 votes to succeed. In 2010, Republicans lambasted Democrats for relying on these rules to pass the health care bill, calling their tactics unusual and hyperpartisan.

***

So now McConnell says he will force the issue before the election and then make repeal of Obamacare priority number one if the GOP takes back the Senate, but the odds are against full repeal. This is code for Republican leaders, timid as they are and driven by polling, keeping parts of Obamacare instead of doing full repeal and starting over.

The truth is many Republicans like parts of Obamacare. The truth is a number of Senate Republicans were willing to vote back in December of 2009 that the individual mandate was unconstitutional while keeping their names on healthcare legislation by Senator Bob Bennett that had an individual mandate.

The truth is with Republican leaders like we have in both Houses, who needs the Democrats? It was not just Democrats responsible for $16 trillion in debt. Even now, Eric Cantor, Mitch McConnell and the rest are trying to find ways to weasel out of paying down the debt and bring back earmarks.

When Republicans won’t fight on their ground, they just won’t fight.

***

Even if Republicans win big on Election Day, though, repealing the Affordable Care Act will be a tall order

For Republicans, the dream of using reconciliation to torpedo the law is predicated on winning a net of three Senate seats, retaining the House and winning the presidency. Then both chambers would have to pass a budget resolution that includes reconciliation instructions. Romney’s vice president would be called upon to break a possible 50-50 roll call in the Senate…

Then, in the Senate, once a reconciliation bill came to the floor, Democrats could challenge specific provisions. They could say, for example, that any savings from repealing certain parts of the healthcare law would only be incidental. If they won those challenges, those parts of the law would remain in place…

“I think the bottom line is, it’s plausible to use reconciliation, but it’s really hard to know which provisions will pass muster,” Binder said.

***

Chief Justice John Roberts ruled that the financial penalty enforcing the individual mandate is within Congress’s constitutional power to “lay and collect Taxes,” and that the mandate and penalty are inextricably linked. This should suffice to enable repeal, through reconciliation, of both the individual and employer mandates, and their respective penalty taxes.

The state exchanges and insurance rules—”guaranteed issue,” which forces an insurer to sell a policy to someone who is already sick, and “community rating,” which severely limits the insurer’s right to charge that person a higher premium—are procedurally more difficult. Yet both are linked to the individual mandate, which increases taxes. Whether they can be repealed in a reconciliation bill will ultimately be decided by the Senate Parliamentarian.

Once the individual mandate is repealed, these popular insurance changes cannot stand by themselves. Without the mandate, people have every incentive to save on premiums and not buy insurance until they fall ill. This will send premiums through the roof for healthy people and, if the government clamps down on increased premiums, destroy private insurance companies. Those Republicans who say they favor legislated guaranteed-issue and community-rating requirements but oppose the mandate will be forced to acknowledge that all three must go.

***

[W]e all know the GOP’s myriad failures of will and principle over recent years. But it’s time to act, not to bicker. As a practical matter, no Democrat is ever going to vote for repeal. John Tester can film a commercial with a gun to show he’s not one of those wussy coastal libs, but when he leaves Montana, off come the cowboy boots and on go the Birkenstocks and he’s a guaranteed vote against repeal.

A vote for any Democrat is a vote for Obamacare. A vote for anyone but Romney is a vote for Obama. Period. That’s just a fact. One can whine and complain and mope, but unless you are actively supporting the GOP down the line, you are supporting Obama and Obamacare.

But giving some money and your vote, even if Mitt infuriated you in the primary, is not enough. The counterattack needs your time.

It needs you to help with the crummy scut work of elections, knocking on doors and making calls. It needs you getting active in social media to spread the word and fight the smears – on Facebook, on Twitter, wherever. It needs you to talk to your friends and neighbors, particularly the dumb ones who tune into politics about 15 minutes before the polls open. The dumb ones are natural Obama voters and require your special attention.

***

“All that [Court ruling] did was energize conservatives,” declared Rasmussen in an exclusive interview on Monday. “The conservative interest in the election was already much higher than that of moderates and liberals. It went up to really stratospheric levels right after the ruling. We don’t know if that will continue or if it’s just a temporary response to the news cycle.”…

“Now as for that vote next week, while people were calling it symbolic, one of the interesting things to watch will be how many Democratic congressmen will sign on and support the repeal,” Rasmussen said. “There will probably be a fair number of Democratic members of Congress who are too afraid for their own future to vote in support of the healthcare law.”

***

In an exclusive interview with Breitbart News today, Senator McConnell put all … fears to rest. “I have said many times that if I’m the leader of the majority next year, I commit to the American people that the repeal of ‘Obamacare’ will be job one,” he reiterated. “That includes pursuing reconciliation. What people need to understand is that this is literally a fight for the future of our country and Democrats have proven during this debate that they will stop at nothing to protect this massive expansion of government into our lives and our health care. We need to be aware that this will take every ounce of our energy to accomplish.”

McConnell went on to explain that the fight would not stop with the election: “Our success is dependent upon the voices of the many who are concerned about Obamacare to get involved and stay involved. Do not shut up, do not sit down, do not be intimidated. Keep fighting with every ounce of energy you have. We’ll do the same. The road to repeal begins with a Republican Senate and Mitt Romney in the White House, but it won’t end for me until this historic mistake is wiped off the books for good.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5 7

our only hope is a conservative president. if romney wins the nomination we are doomed.

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 9:30 PM

Ron Paul?

listens2glenn on July 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

doomed! DOOMED! DOOMED I SAY! We will rot in the belly of a giant Slor and howl one thousand years!

Cthulhu Ryl’eh!

MARK MY WORDS. There can be no peace as long as Kirk Lives!

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Kaaaahnnn…

workingclass artist on July 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

predator on July 3, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Here’s the Senate Roll Call Vote. Notice that the Required For Majority is 1/2.

Here is the text of the bill.

jaime on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

So if we kill the mandate, then private insurance is completely screwed. Granted, some of these companies deserve what they’re getting for backing Obamacare, but eliminating the mandate without eliminating the requirement that pre-existing conditions be covered means that no private insurance company can survive, period.

RINO in Name Only on July 3, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Health care insurance needs to be more like auto insurance. Need brake shoes? Pay for ‘em. Need blood work? Pay for it.

Had a car wreck? Use your insurance. Had a heart attack? Use your insurance.

I’ve seen people in emergency rooms with their kids over skinned knees? Skinned knees? Really?

Hey mom, dad, try being parents. It’s called warm, soapy water, hydrogen peroxide, Mercurochrome, and a gauze bandage. For crying out loud! Raise your kids!

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I’m a little bit younger than you are, my parents were teenagers-or older-during the show’s heyday-and weren’t fans of it.. Maybe it’s my Aspie-but I don’t think he was good. I think he was a leftist jerk. Sorry.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Moonbat!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Independence day..

Again…

Soon..

Electrongod on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Okay you guys, how could you let minnesoter on July 3, 2012 at 10:31 PM think that AP wrote the QOTD? Or were you just saving it for me because you know I think it’s a hoot?

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

ROTFLMAO… Wouldn’t it be totally glorious if a bunch of us shorted GM, and then found out that Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and a bunch of congress critter ended up being the ones holding the bag when it crashed… ;#>

SWalker on July 3, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Rule of thumb (and it will make you big money almost every time you see the government “invest” in a company): Short the stock, or better yet, its options. There have been millions and hundreds of millions made off this simple rule since Obama has been in office.

For those who don’t deal in the stock market, and at the risk of offending all others, when you go short, you are basically placing a bet that the stock price is going down. It is not a good risk at all ordinarily and in a solid private company, but if that company or some other company is getting a significant infusion of government money (our money), it’s a given that the company’s stock price will dive, like GM.

There are hedge fund managers who specialize in this strategy, and after looking at their results since the Porkulous, I just wish I’d invested a lot more with them. I hate betting against, but some of us out here still got a boat to float.

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Now that we’ve finally found out what’s in it….we can’t understand it.

Bishop on July 3, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Neither can they. Suffice it to say, much of Obamacare can be killed if states do not expand Medicaid and beg off on the exchanges. Progs like winning on technicalities. I think we should turn the tables on them. :-)

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Dire Straits, *clink!*

predator, *clink!*

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

good one…

cmsinaz on July 3, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Does Cindy Mumford relate to this (wonderful) song at all?

Cindy Is a Sleeper

Bizarro No. 1 on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Kaaaahnnn…

workingclass artist on July 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

He’s done more than kill us. He’s hurt us. And he’ll go on hurting us. “Revenge is a dish best served cold.” It’s very cold …

in spaaacccceeee

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Hoot? He should know better.

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Dire Straits, *clink!*

predator, *clink!*

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Just to stay on message..

*Clink*

Electrongod on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Likely Voters: Carter Was a Better President than Obama

According to a Newsweek/Daily Beast poll of likely voters, Barack Obama now rates behind Jimmy Carter in the pantheon of great presidents. The poll asked likely voters to list the two best and the two worst presidents the history of the United States.

Chip on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I knew a neighbor whose husband worked with mine and our insurance covered “emergencies” 100%, she would keep her sick kids home all day then take them to the emergency room. After a while the insurance stopped, just in time for my kid to get a concussion and spend three days in the hospital. And yet we still managed to pay the bills.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

He did do some politicing I did not like!!..But I grew up watching the TV show and I believe he was a very good person!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

IMHO, by the time he did that Obamacare commercial he was already getting senile. I think his agent came to him, said I’ve found you a gig, and Andy just read what was on put in front of him.

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

The GOP will betray you!!..:)

The GOPe will betray you!!…:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

They have, repeatedly and are gearing up to do so again beginning November 7th…

Gohawgs on July 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

My memory of Andy Griffith is this:

bayview on July 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

mitts the nominee but its not official till tampa. we have time…

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

O_O..I don’t even begin to know how much tin foil is in the hat you are wearing!..

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I explained it to to minnesoter last week when he/she made the same mistake. Perhaps he or she didn’t see it because it was hours later.

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

I’ll start off with this.

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

Andy Griffith is one of his best roles as a very mean meanie!

Savages

Bizarro No. 1 on July 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

You have a poin..I have heard that before!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Even the “health care law” that old Andy so willingly supported couldn’t save him in the end. So sad. Too bad. I used to be a big fan until I found out what he was really all about. Now? Good riddance. I have no sorrow for expired leftist tools.

But then, I’m a known hardass.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Electrongod on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Srsly? LoL ROTFLMBO!
BRB. KTHXBAI!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

We ought to run that strategy by our stock market whiz, Uppereastside, first.

bayview on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

And, we have the husband of former Secty. of Labor – Chao – wanting to adjourn for Christmas break to thank for obamacare making it through the Senate. And now he’s quoted as saying it will be difficult to repeal. What a worthless pos…

Gohawgs on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM

When I first heard of his death-on ACE’s FB page-my response was ‘good riddance’.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I’ve never heard of them or the song. If that was truly 1975, they seem a bit ahead of their time, I would have thought them 80′s genre. Not a bad all in all.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Just to stay on message..

*Clink*

Electrongod on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

That’s it, stay on message, with everyone for just over four months.

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I think he was a leftist jerk. Sorry.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

No need to be sorry. He was a leftist jerk.

jaime on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Oh great. Greta is talking about should Romney pick Jeb Bush for VP to get the latino vote. Who’s promoting this idea and are they testing the waters?

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I suspected this might happen. They are absolutely tone deaf.

sharrukin on July 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I’m either pessimistic or realistic, but the way I see it is that we are entirely on our own from this point forward. This is a reminder that it’s not only the Dems that we have to get rid of.

PatriotGal2257 on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

mitts the nominee but its not official till tampa. we have time…

renalin on July 3, 2012 at 9:33 PM

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:16 PM

enough to deflect the rays of the evil sun & save our planet from global warming destruction brought on by selfish capitalist imperialist pigs?

workingclass artist on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

The problem is that you can’t simply run ‘against’ something and win hearts and minds without offering a competing vision. There are plenty of things wrong with the US healthcare system that need to be addressed, starting with exclusion of health insurance from people with even minor pre-existing conditions to unreasonably high premiums in some states for entrepreneurs and others that fall outside a large group policy.
If you want to replace Obamacare, you need to craft and articulate a competing vision. It’s a lack of any competing vision that’s Obamacare’s best ally.

bayam on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

But then, I’m a known hardass.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Once upon a time it was considered very bad form to speak ill of the dead, then the liberals came along and have done their very best to destroy America and merely speaking ill of the dead liberals really aint such a big thing.

SWalker on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

And yet we still managed to pay the bills.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Many basic health care treatments would be much cheaper without insurance.
Right now, nobody knows who pays, so nobody cares.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

“He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.”

Yea, couple of hundred years later, I feel your pain bro.

wolly4321 on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

If minnesoter wouldn’t spend sooo much time chit chatting he/she might’ve caught on by now…

Gohawgs on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

I wonder if anyone has run the numbers on a “short all ‘Green’ stocks that little Bammie’s administration has used our money to invest in” strategy, from the day of the investment to today? You could only do it with public stocks however, and I don’t know how many of them are public.

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Oh, the b!tch and run type. Then he can just think it’s AP for all I care.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I don’t believe that’s so. But even if it was, there’s no severability clause in Obamacare, so if the mandate part goes, it all goes.

I believe this is false as well. The severability clause would only pertain to whether it was struck down in court. It has nothing to do with future actions of congress, unless I’m mistaken.

There are around 21 different taxes in Obamacare, and I suppose if Republicans couldn’t repeal it all, they could go through it tax by tax and tear it up until it falls apart.

What does that mean, though? They can dismantle it to make it more hideous and more unsustainable and weak and whatever, but how do they eliminate the requirement

Anyway, if Republicans go to CBO and ask for the savings if the whole thing is repealed, is there any doubt that CBO would rule that a huge budget cut?

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I don’t think it works that way. Maybe I’m wrong, but if this were the case, the democrats could have passed the whole thing with the same logic, using their gimmickry to pass it off as a [snicker] money saver. They did not. They passed the bulk of the bill without reconciliation.

RINO in Name Only on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:15 PM

You have a point..I have heard that before!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Tell me what to do about pre-existing conditions, and I own them.

Still trying to work that out. What might people do to care for one another when the problem is chronic and long-standing and doesn’t fit the insurance model …

I’ve used a charity hospital. I’ve written an apologetic letter explaining why I thought they should forgive the debt (it was teetering over the rest of my family.) They forgave the debt. And, full circle — I now support the charity hospital. :)

As a matter of politics, specific answers to some of the humanitarian questions would go a long way during a debate where a smug talking head creates a weepy hypothetical. As opposed to states rights arguments and other things — all legit — that will play like dodges.

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM

politicians are a mite retarded

Slade73 on July 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Gohawgs on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

+ 100..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Another ‘Fast and Furious’ Memo Released

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:07 PM

…it’s been a year…any update on the career of ATF Special Agent Gary Styers?

The memo, from ATF Special Agent Gary Styers, documents a conversation that Styers had on July 2, 2011, with investigators from Grassley’s office

KOOLAID2 on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

We ought to run that strategy by our stock market whiz, Uppereastside, first.

bayview on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Yeah, we really need that touch of brilliance from such a proven success. /

TXUS on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 PM

Good luck with that. I have a 20-something couple renting a house from me who actually called about replacing burnt-out bulbs in their ceiling lights, they weren’t sure how to change them.

Needless to say when their lease is up they won’t be getting renewed; this nation is chock-full of losers who can barely tie their own shoes.

Bishop on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

I have one of those “free rider” kids who doesn’t have insurance and it had been my intention to look into a policy that BCBS was advertising here for $15 a month, $5000 deductible catastrophic. I guess we can kiss that type of policy good-bye.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Andy G. in a horrifying clip as a lecherous drunk!

He’s even eviler in this movie, which also includes such superstars as William Shatner, Robert Reed, Marjoe Gortner, and Angie Dickinson!

Pray for the Wildcats

Bizarro No. 1 on July 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM

SWalker on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yep. I consider the left a threat to my country and to my own personal well-being as well as that of my brothers and sisters on my side. Screw them. I revel in the demise of any and all of them.

It is what it is.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:25 PM

workingclass artist on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Sounds like a good theory to me!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:26 PM

politicians are mites

Sarcoptes scabiei

jaime on July 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I haven’t been on here much today. Did HA interrupt their Roberts/SC Marathon to at least post it in the headlines?

Could UN arms treaty infringe on US Constitution?

Will agreement take away Americans rights?

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Right now, nobody knows who pays, so nobody cares.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Something else funny about that. I was the one that told the specialist that the rate for the office visit had gone up.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I’ll start off with this.

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I remember him like this.

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM

dear leader won’t mind at all…

cmsinaz on July 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

If we can elect Romney those policies will become more popular!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

bayam on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Let’s craft tort reform and buying insurance across state lines. That should get the Democrats howling. Might not pass but the entertainment value would be priceless.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Bishop on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

How many 20-something idiots does it take to change a light bulb?

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

But then, I’m a known hardass.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Isn’t that horrible? Granted, I didn’t grow up here, but I’ve seen A Face in the Crowd, old Mayberry and Matlock reruns, etc., and THE. VERY. FIRST. THING. that I thought of when I heard the news was his propaganda for Obamacare, which cut $500 billion from Medicare (No worries. Unlike most people on Medicare and Medicare Advantage, Andy Griffith was a millionaire many times over. Cuts didn’t affect him. Mmm…Mmmmm…Mmmmmmm!).

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

i know that all the punditry is having a Fabulous 4th…and brooks probably wrote his piece knowing that he’ll have a Fabulous holiday in the Hamptons, or somewhere, sharing in the Glorious victory of barry, and tut-tuting about the peasants, and let them eat cake..i mean just elect someone else if you don’t like it

but the dissent has a more profound view…the last several paragraphs

The Court today decides to save a statute Congress did not write. It rules that what the statute declares to be a requirement with a penalty is instead an option subject to a tax. And it changes the intentionally coercive sanction of a total cut-off of Medicaid funds to a supposedly noncoercive cut-off of only the incremental funds that the Act makes available. The Court regards its strained statutory interpretation as judicial modesty. It is not. It amounts instead to a vast judicial overreaching. It creates a debilitated, inoperable version of health-care regulation that Congress did not enact and the public does not expect. It makes enactment of sensible health-care regulation more difficult, since Congress cannot start afresh but must take as its point of departure a jumble of now senseless provisions, provisions that certain interests favored under the Court’s new design will struggle to retain. And it leaves the public and the States to expend vast sums of money on requirements that may or may not survive the necessary congressional revision.

The Court’s disposition, invented and atextual as it is, does not even have the merit of avoiding constitutional difficulties. It creates them. The holding that the Individual Mandate is a tax raises a difficult constitutional question (what is a direct tax?) that the Court resolves with inadequate deliberation. And the judgment on the Medicaid Expansion issue ushers in new federalism concerns and places an unaccustomed strain upon the Union.

Those States that decline the Medicaid Expansion must subsidize, by the federal tax dollars taken from their citizens, vast grants to the States that accept the Medicaid Expansion. If that destabilizing political dynamic, so antagonistic to a harmonious Union, is to be introduced at all, it should be by Congress, not by the Judiciary. The values that should have determined our course to- day are caution, minimalism, and the understanding that the Federal Government is one of limited powers. But the Court’s ruling undermines those values at every turn.

In the name of restraint, it overreaches. In the name of constitutional avoidance, it creates new constitutional questions. In the name of cooperative federalism, it undermines state sovereignty.

The Constitution, though it dates from the founding of the Republic, has p7owerful meaning and vital relevance to our own times. The constitutional protections that this case involves are protections of structure. Structural protections—notably, the restraints imposed by federalism and separation of powers—are less romantic and have less obvious a connection to personal freedom than the provisions of the Bill of Rights or the Civil War Amendments. Hence they tend to be undervalued or even forgotten by our citizens. It should be the responsibility of the Court to teach otherwise, to remind our people that the Framers considered structural protections of freedom the most important ones, for which reason they alone were embodied in the original Constitution and not left to later amendment. The fragmentation of power produced by the structure of our Government is central to liberty, and when we destroy it, we place liberty at peril. Today’s decision should have vindicated, should have taught, this truth; instead, our judgment today has disregarded it.

r keller on July 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Just to stay on message..

*Clink*

Electrongod on July 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM

That’s it, stay on message, with everyone for just over four months.

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

*clink*..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Tort reform is critical, but it will be tough to pass. Too many lawyers on both sides of the aisle.

Loser pays! Now!

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:31 PM

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

I suspected this might happen. They are absolutely tone deaf.

sharrukin on July 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

I’ve thot they might pick him for a long time. Hope I’m wrong.
Doug Schoen was the guy Greta had on. I wasn’t listening, but saw the Jeb Bush clips they showed and read the text. Was listening to Savage, LOL He was ripping Roberts and O’Reilly at the same time!

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Gohawgs on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

; )

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Many basic health care treatments would be much cheaper without insurance.
Right now, nobody knows who pays, so nobody cares.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Good point!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Voltaire said, ““We owe respect to the living. To the dead we owe only truth.”

R.I.P. Andy Griffith.

TitularHead on July 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

LoLz..I heard a minute or two of that!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:34 PM

But that’s silly. If Americans want to replace this thing, they should do it themselves…

Thank-you NYT for that endorsement of the American people taking this on. You may not like what the result of that will be. Your elitist approach and biased reporting brought this on. The time is coming when the second Declaration will need to be written; unfortunately, Benedict Roberts appears to have hastened that day. Conservatives are charged up and will be watching what happens in November and afterwards. The damage done by Benedict Roberts extends beyond ObamaTax. If originalist rulings don’t start taking place to repair the hole Roberts ripped through the constitution, the Republic will not remain indivisible unless the citizens of this country are willing to accept subservience to the Government. Have we reached that point?

AZfederalist on July 3, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Can anyone tell me how many Senate seats are in play?

I know the Senate will gain an R from WI, regardless of who runs.

Midwestprincesse on July 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Voltaire said, ““We owe respect to the living. To the dead we owe only truth.”

R.I.P. Andy Griffith.

TitularHead on July 3, 2012 at 11:33 PM

And the truth is Andy Griffith was a leftist pig.

R.I.H. Andy.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM

I am going to believe that Andy was propped up in front of the cameras for that Obamacare commercial by his hateful young wife who was just trying to run with the in crowd (in N.C.?) because I don’t want to believe he was anyone else but Sheriff Taylor or Matloch. Likely? Nope, but I’m running with it.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Just say no to pandering.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I know:-) I’ve always wondered if Greta extends the invitation as to which guests she’ll have on or if they contact her.

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Could UN arms treaty infringe on US Constitution?

Will agreement take away Americans rights?

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:27 PM

Not that it is so much comfort with Obama in the White House and in the aftermath of the Obamacare ruling, but treaties and international agreements do not trump the Constitution even if ratified by the Senate. In Reid v Covert, 354 U.S. 1 (1957), the Court held:

“…[N]o agreement with a foreign nation can confer power on the Congress, or on any other branch of Government, which is free from the restraints of the Constitution.

Article VI, the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution, declares:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof, and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; . . .

There is nothing in this language which intimates that treaties and laws enacted pursuant to them do not have to comply with the provisions of the Constitution. Nor is there anything in the debates which accompanied the drafting and ratification of the Constitution which even suggests such a result. These debates, as well as the history that surrounds the adoption of the treaty provision in Article VI, make it clear that the reason treaties were not limited to those made in “pursuance” of the Constitution was so that agreements made by the United States under the Articles of Confederation, including the important peace treaties which concluded the Revolutionary War, would remain in effect. It would be manifestly contrary to the objectives of those who created the Constitution, as well as those who were responsible for the Bill of Rights — let alone alien to our entire constitutional history and tradition — to construe Article VI as permitting the United States to exercise power under an international agreement without observing constitutional prohibitions.

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

y’all stay cool, i think i’m going to call it a night….

have a fantastic 4th…be safe and enjoy

cmsinaz on July 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Ace has a FB page??!??..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:38 PM

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 10:49 PM

ugharoo, not jebbie

cmsinaz on July 3, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I know there has been talk about him running in 2016 so I sort of doubt he’d want to run as VP. Hard to tell as they are sneaky:-)

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

Many basic health care treatments would be much cheaper without insurance.
Right now, nobody knows who pays, so nobody cares.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Good point!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Look at what’s quietly happening in silicon valley- the next great area of tech disruption is healthcare. It’s more important than Obamacare or any other government mandate and it will eventually transform the system.

bayam on July 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

cmsinaz on July 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Same to you..enjoyed the chit & chat..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

yepper

cmsinaz on July 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM

It’s a lack of any competing vision that’s Obamacare’s best ally.

bayam on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

(EXPLETIVE) . . . . . . It’s lethargy and laziness on the part of the American population at large that has been Obamacare’s best ally.

Too many citizens don’t want to be responsible, any more. : (

listens2glenn on July 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Ok that was Jurrasic snark

SparkPlug on July 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:39 PM

ditto, go have some fun tomorrow

cmsinaz on July 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM

y’all stay cool, i think i’m going to call it a night….

have a fantastic 4th…be safe and enjoy

cmsinaz on July 3, 2012 at 11:37 PM

G’night. Enjoy your Fourth of July.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:40 PM

If we can elect Romney those policies will become more popular!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I hope so but we need to lean hard on Congress also. I was heartened and tickled tonight to hear that the congressman for the Charlotte, N.C. area is not going to go to the Democrat convention, is not going to endorse The Won, voted for Holder’s contempt charge and will vote for the repeal of Obamacare. You don’t think his seat is up for grabs or anything do you?

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM

PatriotGal2257 on July 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM

Yeah, thats how I see it as well. The GOP is as much a part of the problem as the Democrats.

I’ve thot they might pick him for a long time. Hope I’m wrong.

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 11:32 PM

From their point of view it makes a lot of sense. They pick up the Bush crowd and the Latino vote and Jeb is the heir to the throne for the Bush dynasty.

I honestly think they are so out of touch that they could well go with him.

sharrukin on July 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM

R.I.H. Andy.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:36 PM

Maybe I’m just superstitious… but, I’d let ‘em lay.

That’s just me.

TitularHead on July 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Whining, b*tchin’, turning on each oth…

Wait. Never mind.

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:01 PM

LOL, I think everyone is so angry and we’re venting.

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

For those of you on a budget you can buy a whole chicken already cooked for 5$.

It comes in a zip lock bag so it will stay fresh.

SparkPlug on July 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

Get in touch with a trusted broker in your area. They can give you quotes by every company and explain coverage differences and premiums.

bazil9 on July 3, 2012 at 11:43 PM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 11:41 PM

Thank you for reminding me!..We must win the Senate and keep the House in November!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM

Predator-good evening man.-I hope you are well. Nice to see you.

bazil9 on July 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM

America lost it’s Sheriff today!..
RIP Andy Griffith..Mayberry is going to miss you!..

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 11:02 PM

I know. I watch the reruns since there is much to be desired on cable at times. Great show and values too.

RIP Andy

bluefox on July 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM

…it’s been a year…any update on the career of ATF Special Agent Gary Styers?

KOOLAID2 on July 3, 2012 at 11:24 PM

The only thing I can find is this.

I have no idea when it was written.

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 11:46 PM

TitularHead on July 3, 2012 at 11:42 PM

I respect your point of view. Mine just differs.

Have a great day tomorrow, when we celebrate the independence of a nation we now struggle to maintain.

predator on July 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Ever since the midterm elections it has been all down hill.

We are sliding into a cesspool faster than an Olympic luge sled.

SparkPlug on July 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM

in a world where racist White Hispanics prey on skittle eating ebony youths, a dark wasteland where giant Kochs rule…in a vile valley of bigotry, fueled by car elevators and horseback riding – Mittens creeps with jagged blades aimed at effeminate hair dos.

Slade73 on July 3, 2012 at 11:47 PM