Video: Are you ready for BronyCon?

posted at 9:11 pm on July 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, I’m as beta as males get outside of Japan and even I can’t believe this is now a thing. When I was a kid, if you were lonely and desperate for companionship, you did the manly thing: You put on a Chewbacca costume and you dragged your ass to a “Star Wars” convention. Dignity, damn it. Is that too much to ask?

The shoulder belt still fits, you know.

Dale Fjordbotten is a proud “My Little Pony” fan, with the shiny blue body suit and yellow lightning bolt, blue wings and blue tail to prove it.

Like many “Bronies” — boys and men who like the cartoon “My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic”— the 25-year-old college student turned out over the weekend for “BronyCon Summer 2012″ at the Meadowlands Exposition Center, which drew 4,000 men, women, boys and girls, many in colorful wigs and costumes…

Outside the convention center, young men danced and sang along with songs from My Little Pony cartoon that blasted from loud speakers as a video screen on a large truck showed the show’s characters. One observer said it almost felt like a Grateful Dead concert…

“There are a lot of people who when they first hear about men watching a show for little girls, they’re taken to a creepy place,” [animator Lauren Faust] said. “They think there’s something wrong with that, something devious about it. I think that’s unfortunate.”

If the AP story’s accurate, their interest in the show appears to be on the level. It’s not a case of college guys getting baked and looking for lulz by dressing up as cartoon ponies; it’s not even a case of pretending to enjoy the show ironically while secretly enjoying it for real, as is obviously the case when I goof on “The Walking Dead.” (No, I kid. That’s an awful show.) They seem to be legitimately into the ponyverse, thus raising two possibilities. One: It’s a complex response to a cultural crisis in masculinity fueled by a brutal labor market, declining college enrollment, increased competition from women, and difficulty building relationships in an anomic social-media age. Think “Fight Club,” but the other end of the spectrum. What could be more reassuring under those circumstances than ponies and rainbows and friendship ‘n stuff? Two: These dudes are totally solid and the show’s just that good. Anyone here seen it, hopefully/preferably because your kids are into it? I’m thinking that if it was really good, my beta-dar would have already picked up on it, but I don’t know. Maybe I’ve slipped to omega levels.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

You’d get that going to pretty much any Star Trek convention, the only major difference being this happens to be a show traditionally and primarily targeted as a kids show

Wait.

Whether it’s comics, Star Wars, Trek, LOTR…whatever…

No one is named “Baby Cuddles”.

Are we really going to compare Trek nerd gadgetry to the magic of Snookums?

This is furries meets the toddler version of the adult-baby fetish, wrapped in a fantasy-con BSLT sandwich.

I’m really bothered to see so many bronisexuals at HA.

budfox on July 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

Like the show myself.

Being a male geek, and reading all over that this appealed to male geeks, I had to turn it on and see what the fuss was about.

It’s decent, there are some shows that are definitely not up to par but there are others where the stories are fairly well thought out and entertaining.

Would I dress up as one? Heck NO.

Although I have told a few of my friends just to see them groan!

Now, OTOH, the new Green Lantern series kicks butt!

Skywise on July 2, 2012 at 10:20 PM

When I was a child, I used to speak like a child, think like a child, reason like a child; when I became a man, I did away with childish things. 1 Corinthians 13:11 NASB

davidk on July 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

davidk on July 2, 2012 at 10:21 PM

“To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
― C.S. Lewis

Inkblots on July 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Inkblots on July 2, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Pretty easy for C.S. Lewis to say, he’s the guy who wrote the Narnia books. He’d look like a bit of a hypocrite if he said “Yeah, kids stuff is for chumps.”

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Are we really going to compare Trek nerd gadgetry to the magic of Snookums?

Preach!

libfreeordie on July 2, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Dang. Now I’m not sure. Maybe this county doesn’t deserve to survive.

MikeA on July 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I’m sure Inkblots is pumped for the sequel show: “My Little RonPaul: Isolationism is Magic”

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2012 at 10:19 PM

Has everyone here seen the twitter feed Ron Paul’s Drag Race,

libfreeordie on July 2, 2012 at 10:34 PM

Surprised, but not stunned, to see this here. The cancer is deep in this movement, and shame to those older than 12 who embrace it.

Ghastly business, this.

King B on July 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Not anymore, nerds are getting laid these days.

libfreeordie on July 2, 2012 at 9:30 PM

….we know!….when are you coming out with your book?

KOOLAID2 on July 2, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Ghastly business, this.

King B on July 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I don’t see it as cancerous, so much as making it better. :)

FontanaConservative on July 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

Wake me up when there’s a Catillac Cats Con.

Myron Falwell on July 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM

That particular C.S. Lewis paragraph gets quoted a lot. Popping up a lot less of the time is the one that follows it:

The modern view seems to me to involve a false conception of growth. They accuse us of arrested development because we have not lost a taste we had in childhood. But surely arrested development consists not in refusing to lose old things but in failing to add new things? I now like hock, which I am sure I should not have liked as a child. But I still like lemon-squash. I call this growth or development because I have been enriched: where I formerly had only one pleasure, I now have two. But if I had to lose the taste for lemon-squash before I acquired the taste for hock, that would not be growth but simple change. I now enjoy Tolstoy and Jane Austen and Trollope as well as fairy tales and I call that growth: if I had had to lose the fairy tales in order to acquire the novelists, I would not say that I had grown but only that I had changed. A tree grows because it adds rings: a train doesn’t grow by leaving one station behind and puffing on to the next. In reality, the case is stronger and more complicated than this.

I think my growth is just as apparent when I now read the fairy tales as when I read the novelists, for I now enjoy the fairy tales better than I did in childhood: being now able to put more in, of course I get more out. But I do not here stress that point. Even if it were merely a taste for grown-up literature added to an unchanged taste for children’s literature, addition would still be entitled to the name ‘growth’, and the process of merely dropping one parcel when you pick up another would not. It is, of course, true that the process of growing does, incidentally and unfortunately, involve some more losses. But that is not the essence of growth, certainly not what makes growth admirable or desirable. If it were, if to drop parcels and to leave stations behind were the essence and virtue of growth, why should we stop at the adult? Why should not senile be equally a term of approval? Why are we not to be congratulated on losing our teeth and air? Some critics seem to confuse growth with the cost of growth and also to wish to make that cost far higher than, in nature, it need be.

Now, even as a viewer of the show, I’m going to be somehow put off by someone so thoroughly enthusiastically into it that they’re going to roleplay in public and adopt those names. These people, unfortunately, are usually attracted to cameras and interviewers, and even more, vice versa. But if it’s just one thing among many other interests, can’t fault them for that. In those cases, they’re far, far less likely to be found at Bronycon, but almost as likely to be accused of belonging to the former group when online.

Tresjin on July 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Watch the show before you bash it (and don’t base it on the intro). I’m a brony myself, although I do not collect the toys or dress up or anything like that (most bronies don’t do that stuff).

BTW, Pinky Pie is best pony!

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 2, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Jedi, unless someone is harmed in the process, I am a firm believer in the idea that you can watch and do whatever you want. The only time the brony craze ever bothered me was when it was new and being discussed to death on other sites I visit and comment on (such as NeoGAF)

McDuck on July 2, 2012 at 10:45 PM

“There are a lot of people who when they first hear about men watching a show for little girls, they’re taken to a creepy place,” [animator and creator Lauren Faust] said. “They think there’s something wrong with that, something devious about it. I think that’s unfortunate.”

FIFT

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 2, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Othniel on July 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Came back for a second to reply to McDuck: I feel the same way regarding many fandoms. I’m not into some shows that are oft quoted or posted on boards (the show/book series Game of Thrones being one example), but if they post the pic and I don’t get the reference, it’s no skin off my back, you know?

Though if someone is posting it 24/7 and on threads that have not even the slightest tangential relation, yeah, I’d probably be annoyed. Even as a pony fan, I’d be irritated somewhat if someone brought it up constantly on, for example, a Star Wars forum.

JediArashi on July 2, 2012 at 10:52 PM

Ummmmm, okay.

O_o

Hey I’m all for Geek-dom and the like (brother is a serious old school Anime fan and collector) but this…this goes to a rather dark place.

I mean, whats next, Care-Bears?

This is light-years (pun intended) from ST/Star Wars universe or even Sci-Fi like Firefly or Red Dwarf…this …is…just…wrong.

BlaxPac on July 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

If nothing else that I and others can say convinces any of you to give the show a chance, this will.

If it pisses off fem-nazis then it’s got to be good.

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Aw, no other bronies on HA? Sad.

Fellow brony here.

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 2, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Y’all should see the spoof Funny or Die did (YouTube’s pulled the video, google: My Little Pony funny or die – NSFW)

Skywise on July 2, 2012 at 11:01 PM

BlaxPac on July 2, 2012 at 10:56 PM

But they go together like bread and butter!

FontanaConservative on July 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Fellow brony here.

One right here, though these people tend to make me not want to admit it. This isn’t the entire fandom, just the stereotypically pathetic part of it.

TheLastBrainLeft on July 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

Why the hell are so many conservatives and conservative websites getting onto this stupid, disgusting, weird story??

And why do so many conservatives shocked to find that some of their very own political compatriots like the show as well?

Every community has it’s bizarre, freakish element.

TheLastBrainLeft on July 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM

No, no, no, no. No.

Buncha poeses.

JohnBrown on July 2, 2012 at 11:10 PM

I used to play with My Little Ponies…but then again I’m female and I was 5 at the time.

Now my Yorkie loves to use them as chew toys…

NerwenAldarion on July 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

Allah, how about adding this as an update. It it a great little doc explaining the appeal and history of the show.

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

It’s not a case of college guys getting baked and looking for lulz by dressing up as cartoon ponies…

I’m not so sure. Young Flordbotten appears to be at least half-baked.

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 11:15 PM

See what happens when comic con sells out, all the true nerds find something else to nerd off about.

boogaleesnots on July 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM

I cant believe THIS is the thread on page 2 of comments…we all really want a distraction from something…

Anyway:

Good Solid B-Plus on July 2, 2012 at 10:26 PM

check out The Screwtape Letters, CS goes darker there.

Blax, you just named my 2 favorite sci fi shows…BFFs forever i think! :P

airmonkey on July 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Please abide by the “Don’t feed the Beta Males” sign. If you do not heed the sign Allah will be posting about MLP fortnightly…

airmonkey on July 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Personally, I think that doc would be a little lengthy for these purposes. The backstory explanation videos I usually go to are this pair.

Tresjin on July 2, 2012 at 11:30 PM

So, has anyone interviewed these freaks to see if there is a sexual component to this nonsense? Because I swear it looks like a fetish to me.

Blake

pony play is a long standing fetish in the S/M community- at public gatherings. in the late 90s My Little Ponies- probably based in part on this show- started coming dressed up in character to fetish club nights. mostly these were women however. there had for years been a strong anime component to the S/M-goth dressing up.

we wer quitee fond of saying, “My Little Pony, never ridden…”

mittens on July 2, 2012 at 11:32 PM

There is, but they are a minority.

TheLastBrainLeft on July 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM

This show didn’t exist until 2010. And this show is distinctly different from previous incarnations. You have to understand that the fandom is only into the “Friendship Is Magic” version. About the only thing this new version shares with the past 1980′s version is the “My Little Pony” label.

TheLastBrainLeft on July 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM

DethMetalCookieMonst on July 2, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Nope.

davidk on July 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM

One of the biggest ironies of being a brony is that judgmental metrosexuals like budfox would think us more ‘normal’ if we were, for instance, drinking in a bar and hooting at scantily-clad women.
I’d say that’s good evidence that our culture’s definition of ‘normal’ is completely FUBAR.

There is, but they are a minority.

TheLastBrainLeft on July 2, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Yep. We do a VERY good job of self-policing; partly because our reputation in general rides on it. Any hint of inappropriate behavior and you are instantly persona non grata in the community.

If your little daughter saw a brony in-costume and ran up squealing “Pony!!”, you’d have less to worry about from him than some random Joe on the street.

TheLastBrainLeft on July 2, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Yep, the biggest wave is anyway. I was a brony way before this hit. Personally I can’t stand the art of FiM (they look like chibi cardboard cut-outs) and stick with the older generations.

MelonCollie on July 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM

GhoulAid on July 2, 2012 at 9:53 PM

That struck me off guard too.

Electrongod on July 2, 2012 at 9:55 PM

What? You people really didn’t know that?

Solaratov on July 3, 2012 at 12:24 AM

Honestly, if they do it like this, I’d be tempted to join. Stick with it for 1 min 30 sec at least.

The Apologist on July 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I don’t know much about the program but I’m firmly in the Live and Let Live camp. (I write this while wearing one of my Sesame Street T-shirts.) What’s the real antithesis of being a man is obsessing over what another man wears, eats, drinks, watches, listens to, reads, or does. Get cha own life.

And I’d feel safer in a room full of bronies than among people who think success is marked by how often one “gets laid.”

bmmg39 on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Ah…what the hell. As long as they’re not hurting anybody, who cares.
It’s a big tent, people. Plenty of room for everybody.

Solaratov on July 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

+1. Beaver Cleaver definitions of what men must like/do/etc. are a thousand times sillier than bronyism.

bmmg39 on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

This is why I hang out with female friends more than guys. Some of the male conversations I’ve sat in on were just horrifying. Alley cats in heat have more self-control than some of my peers. Girls can be ditzy at times, but I’ll take ditzy over bragging about X-rated physical acts any day of the week.

MelonCollie on July 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Third likely explanation for why grown men attend these conventions: If Jerry Sandusky was acquitted, he’d probably attend this convention wearing a pony suit.

Tiberius2 on July 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM

bmmg39 on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

There are many men who live between those 2 extremes.

I don’t enjoy the company of pseudo-alpha males very much, but I cannot take childish, beta-male bronies seriously, either. :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Now my Yorkie loves to use them as chew toys…

NerwenAldarion on July 2, 2012 at 11:12 PM

lol

Bizarro No. 1 on July 3, 2012 at 1:16 AM

The idea of conservative men enjoying the reincarnation of a cartoon/toy my kids loved back in the 80s is, well, sweet. Pleasant dreams, Bronys.

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 3, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Is this article proof that the “conspiracy theory” that government has been putting saltpeter in our food for decades is actually true???

landlines on July 3, 2012 at 1:28 AM

Blax, you just named my 2 favorite sci fi shows…BFFs forever i think! :P

airmonkey on July 2, 2012 at 11:27 PM

LOL, I was late to coming around to Firefly, but once I got hooked it was set ( i started watching last 5 episodes on FOX before it got axed).

Red Dwarf was one of the FEW things i liked about PBS: Good BBC programs (Back before BBC America came into being). My brother and myself are big into the sci-fi and comedy and we watched just about every episode from the start.

My few regrets is that i can’t find a replica model of the ship, let alone the characters…now that would be a nice collectable from McFarland Toys!

BTW, if you liked the boys the Dwarf, check out Misfits…its like Heroes…but it aint…LOL

BlaxPac on July 3, 2012 at 2:18 AM

Fairly decent show, the animation is good and the writing is pretty decent. Definitely doesn’t deserve all the attention it gets, but the people behind it are obviously talented.

And in case anybody is wondering, I watched it to satisfy a couple Brony friends. Gadzooks they’re everywhere right now. X_X

WolvenOne on July 3, 2012 at 3:45 AM

Irony poisoning.

curved space on July 3, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Fellow brony here.

TheLastBrainLeft on July 2, 2012 at 11:06 PM

As I see it, I can’t poke fun at “bronies”…but for the life of me I just don’t understand it at all…not. at. all.

JetBoy on July 3, 2012 at 6:04 AM

I write about anime for a website, and I had noticed when I covered local conventions how popular the show had become so I decided to check it out.

It’s a decent little show. Not like the “girly” versions I grew up with. (Does this give me away as having a tomboy streak?) The writing’s better and there’s more action in it. And it has its grownup references thrown in there, as well.

ScoopPC11 on July 3, 2012 at 6:17 AM

The shoulder belt still fits, you know.

It’s called a bandolier Beta Boy.

liberrocky on July 3, 2012 at 8:45 AM

I’m the father of a three-year-old and a ten-year-old. And I’ll tell you, after countless hours of the execrable “Dora the Explorer” and their spinoff, “Diego!”, I find “My Little Ponies” to be refreshing and, well, not insulting to my intelligence. My contempt for the writers of Dora knows no bounds, because they are completely uninterested in the fact that parents are forced to watch these programs over, and over, and over. But the “My Little Pony” people seem intent on not torturing the parents in the room. I can’t say I’ve watched an entire episode through from beginning to end, but at least the parts I’ve seen don’t make me want to use a nail gun on my skull.

I won’t go so far as to say I’m a brony. But I will say that I’m grateful for the writers, who seem to take some pride in their craft, and even though the program is ostensibly directed toward my three-year-old daughter and her cohort, it nods toward me as I pass through the room.

For the record: I’m a Bugs Bunny fan, and I know practically all of them by heart. And I find “Phineas and Ferb” to be pretty amusing, if formulaic. But Dora, who’s a Stepford child or from “Children of the Corn,” drives me batty. The only thing that makes her show tolerable is the fact that I have discovered the meta secret: Map is trying to kill Dora. “Dora, first you go over crocodile lake! Then go past the sleeping bear! Then go over the bridge guarded by the evil troll! But by all means, don’t just ask your Dad for a ride to your destination, because that would take all the fun out of near-death experiences!”

slknoerr on July 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Oh, and Allahpundit: Beta is the new Alpha.

And anybody who created the character Allah Pundit with a blog that was so completely in-your-face with the enemies of civilization, so much so that to this day you keep the pseudonym to avoid the loving attentions of your jihadi fan-atics– Well, you’re pretty much as alpha as they get, in spite of your affectations to the contrary.

slknoerr on July 3, 2012 at 9:24 AM

We’ve gone from Best Little Whorehouse in Texas to this? No wonder they want to train border agents to run and hide if they see an illegal with a gun. What’s next Navy Seals with water wings.

Kissmygrits on July 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Jesus this country is so beyond lost…

We need another fcking war.

ClassicCon on July 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM

slknoerr on July 3, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Did you catch THIS Dora parody from a few years back…

JetBoy on July 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM

bmmg39 on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

My guess is your “safety” is not in danger in either case.

ClassicCon on July 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Jesus this country is so beyond lost…

We need another fcking war.

ClassicCon on July 3, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Yep, bronies sure are proof that we need another war. Not our hopeless financial situation, not our smoldering racial tensions, not homosexuals trying to force churches to ‘marry’ them, but those eeeeevil bronies.

You heard it here, folks.

…loony-tune wingnut chickenhawk.

MelonCollie on July 3, 2012 at 9:38 AM

JetBoy: Yes, I remember seeing the parody. And I thought it just wasn’t funny enough, because it totally missed the uber-creepy, fascistic element to Dora’s personality, and the utter lack of facial movement (five seconds of Bugs Bunny gives more expression than all Dora seasons combined), and the painful lack of anything resembling humor. And, of course, they missed the “Let’s Get Dora Killed” subtext that I’m sure the morons who wrote the show were unaware of when they wrote it. But points to the SNL folks for using the actress who played Dora.

ClassicCon: I wonder if the Bronies aren’t engaged in some sensitive-guy jiu jitsu. If everyone thinks they aren’t at these conferences to “get laid,” but rather to just enjoy innocent childhood and so on, well, that guy is kind of catnip to the right kind of woman, isn’t he? “He’s gentle. He loves children. He’s sensitive! I bet he’d be FANTASTIC in bed. Plus, he’d call the next day.” Well played, bronies. Well played.

slknoerr on July 3, 2012 at 10:04 AM

As the daddy of an 8 year old daughter, I can respect this perspective. But putting on a Brony suit at a Brony festival, not so much.

I’m hoping all of those guys in suits are dads of small kids, but I suspect that’s not exclusively the case here.

(Well played Dora rant BTW, thanks).

bigjack on July 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

This really just shows that life is apparently, not too short.

kirkill on July 3, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Can I just say that front page picture of Obama is one of the most flattering ever published .

CorporatePiggy on July 3, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Color me jaded: all I can think is ‘incipient pedophiles’…

affenhauer on July 3, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I am a parent of twin 3 year old girls and MLP is far better than anything else out there targeted for that age group. Try watching a few episodes of the new Strawberry Shortcake on the Hub and you will understand.

I agree with Faust’s statement, that I am tired of little girl shows where there heroine solves problems by either throwing a tea party or crying.

Oh, and HotAir is now 20% cooler.

BohicaTwentyTwo on July 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM

I respect adults’ evaluations about this show’s good qualities, but, GEEZE, peeps !!!
Adults dressing up like this and holding a con to glorify and adore a freaking TV show, is the creepy part !!
Get a grip, fandom (of any sort) !
God help us !
;-)

pambi on July 3, 2012 at 11:23 AM

If a guy I was considering dating told me he was a “brony”…? How far and how fast do you think I could run screaming in the opposite direction? There are already enough gay men I can’t escape from being around, reading about, etc. And now I want to be around men who AREN’T gay but act like they ARE? Please.

perelandra on July 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, I like the show. It’s sweet without being saccharine, the characters are genuinely likeable(my faves are Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash, if anyone asks,) and some of the jokes had me laughing out loud. It’s just fun!

But yeah, you won’t catch me dead in a fursuit. A Derpy t-shirt, OTOH…

ZK on July 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM

This has got to be pony-play (i.e. the sexual fetish) combined with furry-dom for the next generation. At all the public sex festivals I’ve been to in SF, pony-play gets more common all the time, though furry costumes strangely seem to have stalled in popularity.

If the hardcore leather scene is too scary for a beta 23-year-old dude, this is the way to get your pony freak on in a “safe” environment.

For those curious, here are two sample photos I took of actual adults engaged in (G-rated) public pony-play (which definitely gets X-rated in private).

I can only imagine that there are a lot of behind-the-scenes hookups between the Brony males and the females of the species at the convention.

Zombie on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 PM

bmmg39 on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM
My guess is your “safety” is not in danger in either case.

ClassicCon on July 3, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Sorry. Couldn’t take in what you were saying — I was so bowled over by the inescapable aura of testosterone emanating from your post. I was, like, so impressed or something.

bmmg39 on July 3, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Believe me I’m all for cartoons (most of the ones that don’t try to mind wipe the populace at least)…and most of the cartoons (especially the wanna-be anime remakes of classic cartoons) in the last decade seem to be geared towards “Captain Planet” type assimilation.

…BUT, again, there is a certain…level that one shouldn’t go to…dressing up as a full character from a sci-fi show, well its bad, but not that bad….

…dressing up as a furry though, even for a non sexual convention like MLP? No, there’s some lines i wont cross…

BTW I’d put MLP up against the Powerpuff Girls any day!

BlaxPac on July 3, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Four kids 9 and under, boy and girls. All of them love it. Youngest is three. Adult cultural and modern idiomatic references abound. Fast-clip dialog keeps one from glazing over while watching.

Heavy irony/satire. Hard lessons to learn, hardly any sappy crap.

Have watched (unintentionally…passes time during toilet training episodes) nearly all episodes.

Has nothing to do with the show from the nineties/eighties. Just licensing.

Just one of those good shows for everyone. Incidentally, music is extremely good, excellent songs that could actually have come from any musical on or off Broadway. Good writing all around.

Fine with men enjoying the show. It’s enjoyable. The dressing up and bonding of male guilt-in-enjoyment such as these brony cons is just weird and big waste of time. Get a job. Get a hobby. Get married and entertain your children with your little spurt of creativity.

Perpetual infancy.

And Dora blows.

winoceros on July 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Isn’t anyone disgusted by the obscene profits which the costume stores are receiving because of this convention? It’s the epitome of BRONY CAPITALISM!!!

Jersey B on July 3, 2012 at 1:39 PM

A perv convention. These people should be on watch lists.

woodNfish on July 3, 2012 at 2:09 PM

OMGBRONYZ!!1!!

If nobodys’ gaydar is beeping then you’re all…fabulous.

Coronagold on July 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM

When I saw the picture I thought it was Obama’s Unicorn Prince mascott………

flstc on July 3, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Little-known fact: many people stationed overseas in places like Afghanistan communicate within the unit with pony gifs.

I know this because I’ve seen it. It’s nearly institutionalized.

Rather interesting for a show that essentially functions as Bridesmaids for young girls, complete with grown women acting up and getting away with it.

mintycrys on July 3, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Perpetual infancy.

winoceros on July 3, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Kiss my flank, you Walter Mitty clone.

MelonCollie on July 3, 2012 at 6:47 PM

Easily explained: Beta male meet Beta Chick.

morbius on July 4, 2012 at 11:28 AM

My God, it’s full of nerds.

R. Waher on July 4, 2012 at 6:36 PM