Quotes of the day

posted at 10:40 pm on July 2, 2012 by Allahpundit

In the wake of Chief Justice John Roberts’ stunning about-face in the Obamacare case, conservatives who follow judicial issues are asking themselves: Did we ever really know Roberts? Did we get him wrong?…

“His ideological opinions he certainly kept to himself,” says one of those former Senate aides. “He was a blank slate because he had represented so many different sides,” says the other.

The public debate over Roberts echoed those private doubts. As Roberts sought confirmation, conservative commentators as varied as Charles Krauthammer and Ann Coulter called him a “tabula rasa.”

***

That is the kind of sophistry we expect from liberals. The left sees the law as a tool of social justice — so they start with the desired outcome and then come up with legal reasoning to justify it. That is what Roberts did last week. He decided he wanted to uphold Obamacare and rewrote the statute to fit that outcome.

There is informed speculation in conservative legal circles that a close reading of the dissent shows Roberts had intended to strike down Obamacare, but flipped his position at the last minute. We don’t know if he was suddenly convinced by his liberal colleagues, or simply had a failure of nerve. But the challenge for conservatives is clear: We need jurists who not only have a philosophy of judicial restraint, but the intestinal fortitude not to be swayed by pressure from the New York Times, the Georgetown cocktail circuit and the legal academy.

***

“Bush v. Gore is an example of a decision the left didn’t respect in part because they thought it was political motivated,” said Randy Barnett, a Georgetown University law professor who worked with the National Federation of Independent Business on its case against the law. “What the left says of Bush v. Gore, I think is true of this decision.”…

“He’s an umpire that seemed worried that people from the stands would be hollering at him,” said Chapman University law professor John Eastman.

“If he changed his vote because he was persuaded by the argument in favor of the health care bill, then I think he’s wrong but that’s fine,” Eastman said. “If he changed his vote because people were critical of the court and he was afraid of those criticisms and nevertheless was of the view the bill was constitutional, then yeah, I think he should resign.”

***

The problem is that Roberts’s interpretation is not fairly, or even remotely, possible. If the law had been written in the Roberts version — as a regressive federal tax on the uninsured — there is no chance it would have passed Congress. More to the point, the law that Roberts describes would have covered a different number of the uninsured. Academic studies indicate that people respond differently to tax penalties than they do the legal mandates. “When the imperative to buy insurance,” notes Yuval Levin, “is instead presented as a choice between two options, more people will likely choose the cheaper option (which, for almost everyone, will be paying the tax rather than buying the coverage).”

Why did Roberts not account for this policy distinction? The most natural interpretation is that he didn’t know anything about it. Which is precisely the point. Roberts is not a health policy expert. His clever reinterpretation of the health law would actually change its outcome. This is not an alternate reading but an alternate universe.

***

Chief Justice John Roberts, a good man who apparently thought he was doing the right thing, is increasingly taking on the character of a lone figure from classical Greek tragedy. If one collates all the news reports, rumors, and scuttlebutt, and if they are mostly credible, one learns of his tortured switch. It was perhaps prompted by a genuine desire to mitigate the Court’s “partisan” reputation, or to establish Roberts in the long tradition of a Warren or Souter, as a jurist who “evolved” on the Court in a fashion that pleases the influential in Washington and New York—or both. (And indeed, those who were vilifying him before the verdict were the first to heap praise on his judicial statesmanship—at least for now.) The tragedy is that, as the story comes out, the reputation of the Court will sink not rise, as—fairly or not—it appears overly sensitive to public opinion and liable to capitulate to such pressures in mediis rebus.

Roberts, who wanted to cement his reputation as a sober and judicious jurist, through his Hamlet-like deliberations ended up seeming incoherent, tentative, and unsure of himself. And if it’s true that rumors of Roberts reconsidering his vote swirled in Washington prior to the final outcome, and that such perceptions of hesitation prompted renewed venom and pressure — from not just the media, but from those such as Senator Leahy (who had voted to confirm Roberts) on the floors of Congress, and the president himself (who attacked the Court even earlier in his State of the Union address) — then the Court comes off as far more suspect after the opinion than before. Everything Roberts wished to prevent he ensured.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Be grateful, because our family’s life has been pretty horrible during the Obama years. Not because of interpersonal relationships between us in our immediate family, but as fallout from D.C., and its accompanying ripples.

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

LOL! — OMG! wth? u r cra3y! rotflmao

IYKWIMAITYD

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

SRSLY?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Been here since ’06. Voting for Mitt.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Yup…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM

Most of the Hotair commentators that were here back in ’07 – ’10 don’t seem to comment much here anymore, and I’d bet that a lot of them are probably contemplating Gary Johnson even if they haven’t committed yet.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I don’t recall a big libertarian contingent in the early years of HA, but then again I would have ignored them back then just as I ignore them now.

pedestrian on July 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Our ship just took a nasty broadside though, txmom.

Cleombrotus on July 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Precisely. Unfortunately, Admiral Roberts did it to his own ship.

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM

I have been livid since the moment I heard this travesty, but these opinions are just brutal. Roberts is being savaged as nothing less than a non-judicial liberal coward, a la Souter and Warren.

He’s not even being viewed as a courageous nitwit who cheerfully turned into a liberal fruitcake on the court like John Paul Stevens, or someone who lost all moral bearing like Harry “Kill the Babies” Blackmun.

This is absolutely tragic, and for what? To protect the insane stupidity of Pelosi and Obama? Good grief.

Jaibones on July 3, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Nah. A lot of us are still here, and I guarantee you none of us will give Johnson a second look…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Just like a clock!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 12:17 AM

A followup by the author of The Amateur: After Fleeting Supreme Court Victory, Obama Remains the Amateur

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

We had a third of our income knocked out. We are just lucky because of where we are in life. I’m not looking for four more years to go from tight to impossible.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’d bet they don’t read the comments any more because of nutcases like you, who would rather vote for a 2% candidate and re-elect Obama than vote for a Republican who doesn’t always match your viewpoint.

That’s usually seen as a form of mental illness, and the old school Hot Airians probably find it distasteful.

Jaibones on July 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Amen, bruh.

Jaibones on July 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

I picture you saying this after taking a huge pull on your favorite bong and talking as you try not to exhale.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM

He’s just following orders.

From yesterday’s Daily Paul.

Polls Show Libertarian Candidate Gary Johnson Could Be the 2012 Election Spoiler

Could Libertarian Party candidate Gary Johnson, a former New Mexico governor, play a spoiler role in the 2012 election, especially out west? Most polls aren’t even giving him the benefit of the doubt, failing to include him as an option.

But those polls that do include Johnson find him doing surprisingly well. He could tip the balance in several western swing states like Colorado, Nevada and New Mexico. And with every state mattering, that could be the difference in a close race in 2012.

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Mitch goes “gobble gobble.”

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

…I saw Mitch on TV and was thinking soon we will be seeing him on Jeff Dunham’s knee…along with Walter, Achmed the Terrorist, Peanut, Bubba J. etc….. look at the hair…the wooden jaw…he looked like Walter’s dummy brother!

KOOLAID2 on July 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

If Gary Johnson surges I hope people will jump on board.

Let’s leave Obama and Romney in our dust in November.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Dude, I’m sure you are a perfectly fine person and your heart is in the right place. But the fact of the matter is that Gary Johnson has zero percent chance of winning. Not a few percent, not a few tenths, ZERO. What he does have the chance of doing if he “surges” is making sure that Obama wins a second term. Now, I’m down with the fact you hate Romney and all and you have all the Bircher labels for him down pat (corporatist, cronyism, etc.). But the fact is, Romney is the only person who can beat the Jugeared marxist at this point. The only person. Not Gary Johnson, not now, not ever.

Look, I’m all for a viable third party, the GOP truly is the stupid party and deserves to be relegated to the dustbin of history simply for the fact that it has no balls and no spine. The only ones with spine like Palin get demonized by even the GOP elite. However, right now, it is the only thing that is going to give us some breathing room against the communists in the Democrat party. So, a viable third party starts at the local and congressional level, not at the top. Start working the local elections and get libertarians elected at that level and work up.

As it is, your posts are repetitive and tiring and pretty much not very helpful.

AZfederalist on July 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

SRSLY?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM

O, twerp, I’ve been wanting to tell you something. Spawn of Axe — we’ll call him Handle :) — just got married!

And guess what?

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I guess I just adopted a view point early on of ever onward.

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

I haven’t forgotten that the truth is obnoxious to people like you.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM

…FOL!

KOOLAID2 on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

It’s the revenge of the Ronulans, they couldn’t drag Ron Paul even remotely close to the finish line so they will try their damnedest to screw America for rejecting Ron Paul.

SWalker on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

The problem is that Roberts’s interpretation is not fairly, or even remotely, possible [...] This is not an alternate reading but an alternate universe.

Wow. No pulling of the punches here.

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

What?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Roberts should wear a studded collar with Obama leading him into the capitol building-on all fours- on a leash.

MaiDee on July 3, 2012 at 12:13 AM

Now that would make an awesome political cartoon! Wouldn’t be a bad bumper sticker either. Especially in the D.C. area or whatever area of the country Roberts infests when not in D.C.

AZfederalist on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

And guess what?

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

their getting married at Wally-World??? ;p

SWalker on July 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

I’m trying to not get too far down but jeez, I don’t know whether to cry, cuss, or fight. All three seem to be the best option.

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM

But Bush V Gore was decided 7-2.

Del Dolemonte on July 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM

But judges are also not hired as political philosophers, Burkean or otherwise. Their legitimacy comes from a credible application of the law. And the outcome of the health care case came down to one point of law: Roberts’s interpretation of the statute as a constitutional tax rather than an unconstitutional mandate. In his ruling, Roberts admits this view is hardly the most obvious one: “The question is not whether that is the most natural interpretation of the mandate, but only whether it is a ‘fairly possible’ one.”

Wowing continuing.

Doesn’t matter though. Damage is done.

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Need more reasons to vote for Romney?:

“He does not want you to have the self-esteem of getting up and earning, and having that title of American. He’d rather you be his slave,” Rep. Allen West (R-FL) said Sunday at a campaign event in his district. http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2012/07/02/allen_west_obama_wants_americans_to_be_his_slave.html

“We don’t think that for us Romney will be an easy partner,” said Pushkov, an ally of President Vladimir Putin. “We think that Romney will be, on the rhetorical side, a replay of the Bush administration.”

. . .

Obama would be “acceptable” as a partner for Russia in a second term, Pushkov said.

davidk on July 3, 2012 at 12:27 AM

I haven’t forgotten that the truth is obnoxious to people like you.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:10 AM

Floater, what happened to you? You just won’t give it up. You used to be such a nice boy.

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM

. “What the left says of Bush v. Gore, I think is true of this decision.”…

The left is delusional about what happened in Bush v. Gore. We are not. That’s the difference.

pedestrian on July 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

We’ve already hit impossible.

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Bmore, I’ve enjoyed interacting with you in comments, but that’s a pretty insensitive thing to say. You have no idea what I’ve already had to overcome in my life.

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Heh…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Ladysmith CulchaVulcha on July 2, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Just wondering if you’ve been hearing a bit of, or by, Shirley Q?

C’mon, we must laugh, to turn even more fastidious (not quite the word I was searching for, but close enough). Actually, I take that back — capricious –> scornful –> contemptuous.
Okay, I’m happy with that word choice.

Quiet anger works for me.

mickytx on July 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

their getting married at Wally-World??? ;p

SWalker on July 3, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Would have paid for that. :)

What?

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

*whispers*

She’s a joo. :O

So, on the downside, I think my family is now the immediate target of the Jihad. But, on the upside, I think we are all on “The Protected Rolls” of the Overlords. :)

Anyone without an awesome and amazing daughter in law, go get one. This is the coolest thing since fried sugar. I didn’t want to get old, but if this is the kind of thing that goes on — bring it!

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM

At a KMart on a main road here in Jax, there is a pick up truck with a huge American flag on the back with signs saying “American needs Barack Obama”.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 3, 2012 at 12:09 AM

It appears that the police-state supporters are on board Romney’s bandwagon, which is no surprise. If you support a corporatist police-state and wars and arming Islamists then Romney is your man.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I’m really sorry. Are you totally without options?

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:30 AM

Well congrats. That make you an honorary member of our sooper sekrit world domination clubs and your own set of keys to our hidden treehouse.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I’m sorry INC, I must have misunderstood what you said. I apologize for being insensitive to you. No I don’t have an understanding of what you have been through in life. How could I. My comment was more about my perceptive not yours. I’m out. I’m not going to hang around here and become depressed. Again INC. I meant no harm to you.

Good Night All.

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

How did the right let pot smokers get in the tent? I mus have been sleeping because I never saw it coming. Either that or I was to busy busting my arse working.

Eithee way, gary who??

wolly4321 on July 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Yeah, that warms the heart, doesn’t it? Tip the balance in the swing states and it won’t be Johnson winning, but making sure that Romney doesn’t. Reading that, you get the feeling that they want to help Jugears win. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? Over.

AZfederalist on July 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Bush and Obama happened to me.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I pass a yard with an Obama/Biden sign in it on my way to the gym. I hiss and mock-spit as I go by.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Go soak yer head, Little Floater.

Del Dolemonte on July 3, 2012 at 12:36 AM

our hidden treehouse.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I knew it!

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM

O/T what are you going to do about walking to work in all the heat? I guess my golf cart idea is a no go?

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Night B. One for you on the go.

tom daschle concerned on July 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM

I don’t know if upinak has been around today but she said on Facebook that she lost her grandmom last night or this morning. Please everyone, keep her and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:28 AM

I’ll never give up on freedom and liberty and vote for the creators of Obamacare and Romneycare. Both parties support the same policies of generational theft, unsustainable debt and taxation through inflation, and are destroying my country. As a younger person who still wants to have a life to look forward my interests are divergent from older Republicans that benefit from the policies that are destroying America.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM

We’ve already hit impossible.

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I wish there was something I could do to help, but rest assured I enjoy the commentary and knowledge that you bring to HA. You have taught me much and have never been afraid to put me in place when it was needed.

JPeterman on July 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:29 AM

I’m really sorry. Are you totally without options?

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM

What do you need? If I can help, I surely will.

mickytx on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I’m watching Tamara Holder on Fox tonight…she seems to be having trouble focusing on what she is trying to say…anybody else notice this?

d1carter on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Prayers ascending for her & her family. Thanks for the heads up…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Congrats to you and your son on his marriage!..I wish him and his bride much joy!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM

I don’t want to go into detail for the whole world, but things have been bleak.

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM

For the record, I look forward to a viable and philosophically conservative Presidential candidate in the future … that candidate will win, hands down.

In this election, sadly, we have a guy who is promising to be seriously conservative, running against a socialist POS who doesn’t know his a$$ from a hole in the ground, plus some also-ran libertarian twit.

Pretty easy choice for anyone with a functioning brain.

Jaibones on July 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:38 AM

Will do!..:)

Dire Straits on July 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM

d1carter on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

She’s an idiot and I have no idea why Fox has here on so much. She’s always complaining that Hannity is picking on her.

Typical liberal deflection.

JPeterman on July 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Did he really just say “corporate police state”?

Alrighty then. Peace out bro. OWS misses you.

wolly4321 on July 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Disappointment.

Is when you’re brought hot tea when you ordered coffee.

Supreme court findings are slightly important.

Justices should never respond to outside influences and its obvious that’s what happened.

To begin with liberals should never be seated on a bench applying a Constitution to legal issues that has no relation to liberalism whatsoever.

Secondly the Conservative justices who should be there should never be intimidated or respond to intimidation, and they should never ever be intimidated by liberal Presidents who’ve proven themselves to be harmful to the Constitution they’re sworn to defend.

Speakup on July 3, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Eating disorders like walking. I’m suppose to drink gatorade and step inside cool places if needed.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I don’t want to go into detail for the whole world, but things have been bleak.

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I don’t know where your hopes lie.

“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. Consider the ravens: the neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!” ( Luke 12:22-24)

God does. His glory cannot shine without us being shown for what we are.

tom daschle concerned on July 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

As for the OBozoCare tax, this part we know. After lying it through congress and swearing it wasn’t a tax, O’Bonehead sent his Solicitor General to SCOTUS arguing (in one version) that it is in fact a tax.

Only one of nine judges agreed with him, and that one vote upheld the law. That’s what I call stupid.

Jaibones on July 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

mickytx on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Thanks, so much. Is that your site/e-mail?

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:45 AM

AZfederalist on July 3, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Almost like they want to punish us for not choosing rp in the primary huh?

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 12:45 AM

AZfederalist on July 3, 2012 at 12:21 AM

+1!

POTD….

litebeam1 on July 3, 2012 at 12:45 AM

JPeterman on July 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM

:) You never seem to stay there, though!

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Axe: You do realize that Judaism is passed on through the mother-that means that any future young-uns are gonna be mini-Jooos!
Bwahahahaha!

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:41 AM

I understand not wanting your personal life all over the internet. The best I can do is keep you in my prayers. Will Obama’s loss in November help?

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Wow. No pulling of the punches here.

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Evening. Want to hear crickets? Play this card:

There are four permitted taxes in the COTUS, including the 16th Amendment. Roberts’ opinion, specifically, says that his “tax” is not a direct tax. Your other 3 choices are:

1. Excise tax (a taxable event must occur)

2. Income (ObamaTax applies whether you have income or not)

3. Impost (tariff/duty) (Really??? You want to argue that one???)

So, which one do you want to claim the ObamaTax is?

I’ve been playing it tonight to silence. The idiots have no response whatsoever…but don’t worry, we are supposed to continue to support him. Only Progs get to Liebermann people.

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:39 AM

You jackwagon!

I’ve got 6 kids ranging in age from 38 to 27. 12 grandkids ranging in age from 14 to 1. You don’t think I’m fighting for THEIR future?

That’s the problem with most of you Paulians, it’s ALL about what you want. The hell with the freedoms and liberties that will be lost to the rest of country if Obama gets reelected.

And don’t tell me to vote for Gary Johnson to stop that from happening.

GARY JOHNSON WILL NOT BE ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IN 2012!

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

i just read thru a synopsis from Kaiser on barry.care. Very tedious.

the central planners love to do this…and when things go off the track they’ll have another bright idea. They have so many plans for each part of the h/c system. If you are insurance company they really kinda hate you….and they’ll try to put downward pressure on the Exec comp.

but they’ll tax you alot over the next few years. And pharma…i guess they made the deal with the devil…they’ll pay a lot more taxes, but i guess they’ll get more money in (for now at least)

and those extra-bright people will be scrutinizing everything just to make sure that h/c costs don’t go up too fast…keep the prices down.

well…half the people are going to love the big fat tax credits they get from uncle sugar…but they are the stupid ones. They’ll have to pay 30 percent of the costs even with their subsidized insurance…unless you’re going on medicaid

but they have a welter of incentives, and disincentives…nudging or pushing people here and there.

reading it it looks like they’ll keep the private sector around, just long enough for barry/left to shriek about greed and tonsils, and the evil of profiting from people’s life or death decisions…truly evil

and, then it will be simple step (very simple) to expand the public option they have in there as an ‘experiment’ into single payer, medicare for all.

like barry said, 10 to 15 years is his goal…but i think it will be sooner than that

…and no, i don’t think the Rs have a clue on what they’re going to do with this…it is comprehensive…it promises everything to everybody

the days where people were proud to make it on their own are over

r keller on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

A Roberts Tax for those who write “lol” in their comments.

I detest such infantile stuff among HA commenters.

Sherman1864 on July 2, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Guess what? I find it entertaining/amusing/humorous when stuffy, smug people get irritated by its usage!

Hmmm…looking at our differing perspectives on “lol”, I wonder which of us is a happier person…? LOL

PS were you including “LOL” within “lol”? :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I’m watching Tamara Holder on Fox tonight…she seems to be having trouble focusing on what she is trying to say… anybody else notice this?

d1carter on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

She’s nutso. I don’t understand why Fox News can’t find some sane, honest and intelligent liberals for their panels. There have to be a few out there somewhere.

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

I know Romney supporters like to call me names, but I’ve never engaged in such behavior in my years here at HotAir, with only a few brief exceptions that I can recall. I only note this because earlier today a Romney supporter pretended like he was the serious “adult”, which is silly considering that it’s the Romney supporters that engage in juvenile name calling, not me.

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Pretty easy choice for anyone with a functioning brain.

Jaibones on July 3, 2012 at 12:42 AM

So, we can put you down as one vote for the also-ran libertarian twit then?

/s I kid

AZfederalist on July 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM

GARY JOHNSON WILL NOT BE ELECTED PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES IN 2012!

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

AMEN…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:07 AM

I’ve been here since here was Captain’s Quarters…who is Gary Johnson?

Kevin71 on July 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Bmore on July 3, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Thank you, Bmore. But do you see what you just did? You’re happy, but you don’t want to stay here and get depressed, so you leave. If you’re happy, can you learn how to say an encouraging word to those of us who are struggling?

Did you know that when J. K. Rowling gave the commencement address at Harvard in 2008, she said something very astute: adversity tests not only you, but your relationships. Is that ever true.

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Keep voting democrat.

tom daschle concerned on July 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

You have to wonder if Tamara ever runs into Sinitta Jackson in the halls at Fox.

Awkward.

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Check to see if they have these at your store, if not they are at Bed Bath & Beyond. I use something similar when I do yard work in the heat.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

PS were you including “LOL” within “lol”? :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

The first LOL is a much higher “mirth” tax followed by a “merriment” tax on lol.

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

tom daschle concerned on July 3, 2012 at 12:44 AM

Thanks. I thought all of Hot Air (and the lurkers) knew by now that I’m a Christian.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Thank you, and will it ever! Then maybe not only we, but other people, can put things back together.

SCOTUS hit people hard on two levels. Not only is it a Constitutional tragedy, but the fallout means businesses will continue to be skittish and try to figure out what to do next.

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Dave is voting for Gary Johnson using an absentee ballot.

Because Dave is not here.

SparkPlug on July 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Been here since ’06. Voting for Mitt.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Yup…

OmahaConservative on July 3, 2012 at 12:15 AM

aww Mittbotslove

Mitt is a loser. He should be banging and blasting with “OBAMADOESN’TCARE” ads and interviews. Take time from your vaca and give an interview. I’m pretty sure Hannity would have given it to him. Here’s a piece at Breitbart (in case you didn’t click on it)…you should read it. I hope Romney is. Santorum is still available.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on July 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I’ve been here since here was Captain’s Quarters…who is Gary Johnson?

Kevin71 on July 3, 2012 at 12:51 AM

An unknown that a handful of jaded people are trying to vet as the conservative alternative to the Evul Isolationist Joo-h8r. Unfortunately, the reality is that his national popularity is bupkis.

MelonCollie on July 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Santorum is still available.

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on July 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Village idiots always are.

MelonCollie on July 3, 2012 at 12:58 AM

Dire will post

The GOP will betray you

at some point in the not so distant future…And he will, once again, be correct

Gohawgs on July 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Our Court: 4 statists, 4 men, and 1 little boy afraid of the names other people might call him.

Alas, if we could only impeach him for that.

AshleyTKing on July 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Awkward.

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

I’ve wondered the same thing…heh.

d1carter on July 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Can.I.be.in.the.middle on July 3, 2012 at 12:57 AM

And, Lucky Pierre arrives…

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Goofy Obama probably doesn’t realize he has his great legislative achievement is to blame for the continued bad economy that in the long run will be what keeps him from getting reelected. Someone left the irony on.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM

arnold ziffel on July 3, 2012 at 12:54 AM

What about ROTFLMAO?

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM

d1carter on July 3, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I watched her a few times on Red Eye ( back in the days when it used to be a good show ) and she always came across as a mean drunk Hooan in a tight dress. She probably crams all the WH talking points and then tries to throw them all up as soon as the camera moves to her face, regardless of the topic of discussion.

burrata on July 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM

INC on July 3, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 12:19 AM

I’ve had people call me doing “maintenence” calls; things like “we notice you chopped out 90% of your business with us — everything OK?” — but I’ve about got everything reorganized. It was tight and ugly for a bit … but I think I’ve kept leeward.

Sorry INC. I would remind you that seasons always change, but it might feel like salt. :/

“I pray thee peace, I will be flesh and blood;
For there was never yet philosopher
That could endure the toothache patiently,
However they have writ the style of gods,
And made a push at chance and sufferance.”

– Much Ado About Nothing.

… but tom daschle concerned spoke a better word up there. :)

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Because Dave is not here.

SparkPlug on July 3, 2012 at 12:56 AM

That’s because he’s here, in bed, sleeping soundly.

I’m headed there myself.

P.S. he won’t be voting for Gary Johnson. lol (just for you Sherman)

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Sadly, such an animal does not exist, not under the current crop of liberals. Current liberalism is truly a mental disorder, it requires too much mental gymnastics to hold contradictory thoughts at the same time.

There have to be a few out there somewhere.

slickwillie2001 on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

No evidence of any to be found

AZfederalist on July 3, 2012 at 1:02 AM

AshleyTKing on July 3, 2012 at 12:59 AM

It will be interesting to see if he will learn from the experience or double down on stupid. Whether is is true or not, the liberals think he can be played now and they will ratchet up their attacks from inappropriate to down right threatening. He is a joke to them now.

Cindy Munford on July 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Flora Duh on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 AM

Spawn’s 18. I’m most certainly fighting for HIS future.

annoyinglittletwerp on July 3, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Resist We Much on July 3, 2012 at 12:47 AM

… I’ve been wondering. Your quest for truth reminds me. :) This question might be too brittle, but … we did just expand the taxing authority, not affirm an already-happened expansion of it, right?

Axe on July 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM

FloatingRock on July 3, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Sorry, the person throwing a tantrum and trying to reelect Barack Obama because his messiah couldn’t come close to getting elected doesn’t get to pretend to be an adult.

SWalker on July 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM