Quotes of the Day

posted at 9:01 pm on July 1, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

[Governor Rick] Perry “has no interest in fast-tracking any portion of this bankrupting and overreaching legislation,” deputy press secretary Josh Havens said.

The court’s 5-4 decision upheld most of the controversial 2010 health care law, but gave opponents a minor victory when it ruled that states could decide whether to participate in the Medic­aid expansion without jeopardizing the money they receive for the traditional Medicaid program.

“I’m not holding my breath,” said Rep. Trey Martinez Fischer, a San Antonio Democrat who is head of the Mexican American Legislative Caucus. “It almost seems to me the Republican leaders are still in denial about what happened at the Supreme Court.”

“If Romney wins, it takes a lot of pressure off the Legislature,” said state Sen. Dan Patrick, R-Houston. “If Obama wins, then we’re going to have to deal with a complex and somewhat confusing decision.”

***

Speaking to reporters Thursday, Gov. Tom Corbett said he was disappointed by the court’s ruling, but the state would abide by it. “We will move forward respecting the law of the land,” he said.

A day later, Corbett declined to comment on the implications of the ruling for state policy, saying he was focused on the state budget, which had to be passed by Sunday. Decisions on the Medicaid expansion “will be made after we get this budget done,” he said.

Under the original law, which Pennsylvania and 25 other states challenged, states would get additional federal money if they expanded Medicaid to include more people. If they didn’t expand, the law threatened to take all of their Medicaid funding. The Supreme Court struck down that threat, meaning states now can opt to expand Medicaid but will suffer no penalty if they choose not to.

***

“I think there’s a very good chance that the state will not adopt an expansion,” said Representative William O’Brien, a Republican who is speaker of the House in New Hampshire. “We’re just not going to participate in a program that involves potentially wrecking state government finances throughout the country.”

In Maine, Governor Paul LePage also is weighing whether to boycott the Medicaid expansion, which is aimed at people under age 65 whose income is less than 133 percent of the federal poverty level. For a family of three, that threshold is $25,390.

“We’re still analyzing exactly what this will mean for Maine,” said Evan Beal, a spokesman for LePage, a Republican and Tea Party favorite who is a fierce critic of the health care act. “He wants to make sure we fully understand.”

After the ruling on Thursday, LePage said the decision means “the federal government can force you to do or buy anything, as long as they call it a ‘tax.’ ”

Maine was among the 26 states that sued the federal government over the health care law, in large part because of the costs of the Medicaid expansion.

***

“We’re reviewing that, if we should be expanding (Medicaid) or not,” said Ari Adler, spokesman for House Speaker Jase Bolger, R-Marshall. “It’s one of those things that the federal government is offering short-term solutions that may create long-term problems. There are some people who are very concerned about the concept of Obamacare and how much we’ll be pulled into it.”

In Michigan, Republicans control both the Senate and the House. Several Republican lawmakers say they are concerned the state eventually will wind up paying a much larger share of the Medicaid expansion…

State Sen. Rick Jones, R-Grand Ledge, said he is not yet convinced a Medicaid expansion is the best course for Michigan.

“I have to study this,” Jones said. “I am very worried that this entire process will cost taxpayers much more in the future. I don’t want to see more costs thrust on the state … as it is trying to recover economically.”

***

Gov. Nathan Deal hasn’t decided whether to expand Georgia’s Medicaid program, the one bit of leeway the U.S. Supreme Court gave states Thursday in upholding the federal health-care reform law.

“I think that is a mistake,” the governor said during a news conference at the Georgia Capitol. “It will be a strain on the state’s budget.”

However, Deal also pointed out that if Georgia opts out of the expansion, the state’s taxpayers still would have to pay federal taxes to support growing Medicaid rolls in those states that do participate.

***

Nevada won’t automatically accept expanding Medicaid coverage as called for under the federal health care law, Gov. Brian Sandoval said Thursday after the U.S. Supreme Court ruling left open the possibility that states could opt out of the requirement without jeopardizing all of its Medicaid funding.

“Given what we know today, the governor does not intend to automatically accept the Medicaid expansion,” Mary-Sarah Kinner, Sandoval’s press secretary, said in a statement.

“These serious budgetary implications, including the impact on education spending, require further analysis — not just of the next biennial budget but of the long-term costs.”

The governor’s office says more information is needed from the federal government before deciding how Nevada will proceed.

***

Gov. Dave Heineman promised Thursday to block any effort to expand Nebraska’s Medicaid program, a key provision of the federal health care overhaul that the U.S. Supreme Court deemed optional for states while upholding most of the law.

“It’s clear it’s now the law of the land,” Heineman said. “We’re going to study this. We’re going to thoroughly review it in light of the changes that occurred today and then make a determination of how we’re going to move forward.”

“There are massive government systems that have to be put in place and ready to go in a little over a year,” said Steven S. Martin, president and CEO of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Nebraska, the state’s largest insurance company.

The Nebraska Department of Insurance has been working on a state-based exchange for Nebraska in case the law was upheld. Through his secretary, director Bruce Ramge referred all questions to the governor’s office.

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

…well ok I’m a slut…but I’m not lorien…I have some taste!
Dara Torres is no Mooch or Maxine!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 11:15 PM

lol sir. That she ain’t but Dara no delicate flower either. Looks like too much testosteroni.

arnold ziffel on July 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM

KOOLAID2 on July 2, 2012 at 12:47 AM

So their disappointment is your disappointment. Condoglianze.

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM

your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!..:):)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Aside from you, and a few others, none are my “friends”. None in DC are my friends. I’m saner than I appear.

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM

There’s some overlap in her columns, but the Orange County Register piece reads as if it were written second as she gives more analysis and numbers.

She mentions the Kaiser Family Foundation.

This is their site:

This is a chart of where states are on exchanges as of June 18.

INC on July 2, 2012 at 12:58 AM

OmahaConservative on July 2, 2012 at 12:49 AM

That sounds good to me!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Looks like too much testosteroni.

arnold ziffel on July 2, 2012 at 12:53 AM

…well it looks like pasta too me piggy!…I’d just put parmesan cheese on it!
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on July 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Dire is inebriated? Perhaps he got into Dave’s stash of contraband.

SparkPlug on July 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM

I’m saner than I appear.

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 12:57 AM

I agree fully!!..I was just picking with you!..I do a very bad joke ever now and then!..I love your posts and rescept you fully friend!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM

SparkPlug on July 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM

lolz..But Dave is not here!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM

SparkPlug on July 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I’ve been looking for her today but I haven’t seen her.

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2012 at 12:37 AM

…was here briefly two days ago…don’t remember her being here yesterday either.

KOOLAID2 on July 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Schad will steal all your pebbles and make you write bad checks.

SparkPlug on July 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM

While y’all have been here chatting and chatting, I convinced 5 people Romney is the way to go. Enjoyed a spectacular fireworks show. Had peach pie. Am currently enjoying a wonderful electrical storm. Which has cooled things down signifantly. Oh, yeah, I also successfully completed my 28th anniversary and enjoyed a wood boat parade and two swims in the healing waters. I love this holiday! They cannot take some things away ever! Oh and one other thing, I like all of us, indured another day with the highest tax increase in the history of the world.

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Schad will steal all your pebbles and make you write bad checks.

SparkPlug on July 2, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Nah, pebbles can not be sold, nor stolen…they are given, freely and wisely.

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 1:10 AM

SparkPlug on July 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Dave?

Dave??

Dave’s not here, man!

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Oh, I have pictures of the parade here. Fireworks photos going up for tomorrows entry. Look close, I don’t want every body to know where it is.

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM

…well it looks like pasta too me piggy!…I’d just put parmesan cheese on it!
(:->)

KOOLAID2 on July 2, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Sounds yummy. You’re fun on this board. Sometimes I think you put something extra in that Koolaid though.

arnold ziffel on July 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM

I love your posts and rescept you fully friend!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM

I’m so thankful, Dire. Respect is for them elitist snobs :)

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I’m so thankful, Dire. Respect is for them elitist snobs :)

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 1:15 AM

Sorry let me correct that!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I agree fully!!..I was just picking with you!..I do a very bad joke ever now and then!..I love your posts and respect you fully friend!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Sorry..Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Sorry let me correct that!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:19 AM

Nothing to be sorry for among friends. Thanks for the smile.

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Dave did call and wants to know if he should vote for Gary Johnson??!!??..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Just keep me from jumping something bigger than a shark!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Dave did call and wants to know if he should vote for Gary Johnson??!!??..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Isn’t everyone ?

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM

Just keep me from jumping something bigger than a shark!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM

That’s easy. You’ll be too busy grounding the rest of us :)

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 1:29 AM

arnold ziffel on July 2, 2012 at 1:13 AM

…no it’s you and Sparky that are the constant fun ones and Bishop when he gets on a roll can make my sides ache…some of the others let their humor out of the closet once in a while…and I’m thinking whatever their drinking…was a good year!
…heck…the other day I almost krapped my pants when Cindy M of all people… was referring to disciplining kids and the bus monitor lady…that she’d be punching her kid in the mouth …till his tonsils came out his azz…or something!

KOOLAID2 on July 2, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Isn’t everyone ?

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:24 AM

lolz..Looks that way!..:)

PS..Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 1:29 AM

I hope so!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Dave did call and wants to know if he should vote for Gary Johnson??!!??..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Dave?

Dave??

Dave’s not here, man!

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Dire Straits QOTD song. Guess I’ll just sit this one out.

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:33 AM

PS..Good to see you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Good to see you. Good to be seen ; )

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:34 AM

A tax on breathing

Gohawgs on July 2, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Schadenfreude on July 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Dire is inebriated? Perhaps he got into Dave’s stash of contraband.

SparkPlug on July 2, 2012 at 1:01 AM

lolz..But Dave is not here!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:04 AM
Dave?

Dave??

Dave’s not here, man!

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM

( S i g h ) . . . . . . down memory lane, and all that.

listens2glenn on July 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Is this the theme song for the Gary Johnson campaign??!!??..:)

PS..Nice tune!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM

listens2glenn on July 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM

lolz..Ahh the memories!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Is this the theme song for the Gary Johnson campaign??!!??..:)

PS..Nice tune!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Well, I figured since he’s got our votes, he may as well have our tunes. ; )

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 1:34 AM

Just remember..We have to stir it up!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:51 AM

listens2glenn on July 2, 2012 at 1:37 AM

lolz..Ahh the memories!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 1:42 AM

We could spend the whole night on those two guy’s material, but I’ve got to be up at 04:30 EDT.

‘Night all.

listens2glenn on July 2, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Guys, now why would you say Gary’s name like that, now floating stone is gonna come and crap all over this thread…….why….WHY…………..*shakes head*

angrymike on July 2, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I was just lurking, now….. I’m going to bed, good night one and all……..;-)

angrymike on July 2, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Preach it, George !!

bayview on July 2, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Stir it up?

Rip It Up!

G’night Glenn

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM

I’m going to bed, good night one and all……..;-)

angrymike on July 2, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Remember, the secret to a happy “whatever” is not going to bed angry, mike…

Gohawgs on July 2, 2012 at 2:09 AM

It is lightening so violently here now it is causing the phone to ring. It is an old timey phone. Remember them? So if I just disappear its because I lost service. ; )

Bmore on July 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Nice tune!..:)

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Glad you lliked it. I was looking for the Commander Cody version from Hot Licks, Cold Steel, and Trucker’s Favorites, but I couldn’t find it.

I always liked this one:

All Mama’s Children

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 2:32 AM

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Dire Straits on July 2, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Well, I’m calling it a night.

The Star-Spangled Banner

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 2:52 AM

That’s was good. Nice to see MadCon doing something constructive…

Gohawgs on July 2, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Stir it up?

Rip It Up!

G’night Glenn

novaculus on July 2, 2012 at 2:08 AM

How about, Tear It Up? I know you like guitars…that counts as MustSee YouTube! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 2, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Governor Scott: Florida Will Not Implement Insurance Exchanges or Expand Medicare

Florida, the state the led the fight against President Obama’s health care law, will not comply with the Supreme Court opinion.

Gov. Rick Scott tells Fox News that he … will work tirelessly to make sure the law is repealed. He feels that can be done by electing officials, like Mitt Romney, who have vowed to fight the law before 2014 …

If that doesn’t happen, Scott insists he still won’t “implement these exchanges that will increase the cost of health and make Medicaid worse.”

Scott claims Medicaid has been growing in Florida at three-and-half times the state’s general revenue. He calls the law the “biggest job killer ever” and says Floridians cannot afford the $1.9 billion dollar increase he believes the law will cost.

Gov. Scott doesn’t believe the law will go into effect in 2014.

“That’s still Florida taxpayers paying that,” he said. “It’s not like there’s free federal money.”

imasoulman on July 2, 2012 at 3:36 AM

Someone needs to lock this woman up before she hurts herself.

Pelosi: Mandate is a tax penalty but not a tax

Flora Duh on July 2, 2012 at 5:54 AM

me not obama
obama not me
me obama not

romney 2012

renalin on July 2, 2012 at 6:30 AM

Stung by Recession, Young Voters Shed Image as Obama Brigade

In the four years since President Obama swept into office in large part with the support of a vast army of young people, a new corps of men and women have come of voting age with views shaped largely by the recession. And unlike their counterparts in the millennial generation who showed high levels of enthusiasm for Mr. Obama at this point in 2008, the nation’s first-time voters are less enthusiastic about him, are significantly more likely to identify as conservative and cite a growing lack of faith in government in general, according to interviews, experts and recent polls.

[snip]

The Romney campaign intends to seize the moment, with new online and campus-based initiatives rolling out in the next few weeks, said Joshua Baca, the campaign’s national coalition director. He said the message would be simple: Mr. Obama’s economic policies are not working for young people.

Flora Duh on July 2, 2012 at 6:41 AM

Bachmann: We’re telling Govs to stop implementing Obamacare cause we’re gonna repeal it

Michele Bachmann says that the Republican Study Group is working with the Republican Governors association to send out letters to governors and encourage them to ‘stop cooperating with the enemy’ and wasting money implementing Obamacare exchanges because Republicans are going to repeal it after they win in November.

Flora Duh on July 2, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Flora Duh on July 2, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Audacious … and potentially fraught. :)

Axe on July 2, 2012 at 6:57 AM

Good morning!

tell obamacare to pound sand

cmsinaz on July 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Flora Duh on July 2, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Sounds good to me.

kingsjester on July 2, 2012 at 7:00 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the Romney campaign should return the donations from this guy?

Obama donor slammed by RNC in 2008 gives to Romney

WASHINGTON – In 2008, the Republican National Committee raised critical questions about campaign contributions Barack Obama received from a former Iraqi politician with a controversial past and close ties to an Obama fundraiser who was convicted on attempted bribery and extortion charges.

During this election cycle, the donor, Chicago-area resident Aiham Alsammarae, has given $4,800 to likely GOP nominee, Mitt Romney, Federal Election Commission records show.

Alsammarae gave Romney five contributions totaling $2,300 in 2011. He donated $2,500 more to Romney in May. He also gave $250 to Romney in January 2008, according to FEC records.

Asked if the RNC had concerns about the contributions from Alsammarae to Romney, RNC spokeswoman Kirsten Kukowski responded in an e-mail to USA TODAY that “Obama attacked Enron in 2008 but takes money from ex-Enron employees who profited” at the disgraced energy company that collapsed in 2001.

Romney’s campaign did not answer phone and e-mail messages seeking comment.

The RNC raised concerns about Obama’s ties to Alsammarae, Iraq’s interim electricity minister under the U.S.-led Coalition Provisional Authority and a college buddy of former Obama fundraiser Antoin “Tony” Rezko, shortly after Rezko was convicted in federal court in June 2008 on charges related to his effort to win millions in kickbacks from firms trying to do business in Illinois when Rod Blagojevich was governor.

Flora Duh on July 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Flora Duh on July 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM

nope

cmsinaz on July 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM

OT: chuck todd–dear leader’s negative campaigning is working, bain attack is working…yahoo

cmsinaz on July 2, 2012 at 7:26 AM

Flora Duh on July 2, 2012 at 7:19 AM

Sounds like someone who is trying to cover all his bases no matter who wins. And yes, someone does need to lock Pelosi up but I’d settle for her to take up residence in San Fran full time. Although deep in my heart I think she stays in D.C. the rest of her life no matter what her job is.

Cindy Munford on July 2, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I don’t see how any of this ends up in anything but conflict, and when it does people need to remember that the social shock was caused by a coward who doesn’t belong on the Supreme Court.

If you like what’s happening in Greece – the rioting et al, you are going to love what’s coming to a U.S. City near you.

Dr Evil on July 2, 2012 at 8:38 AM

I read somewhere … in response to the power outage in NVA and DC
“Lord when I asked that there be less power in DC .. maybe I should have been more clear ….”

conservative tarheel on July 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM