Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:00 am on July 1, 2012 by Allahpundit

One last burst of obsessive Court analysis this morning before the media gets back to the campaign. Pelosi will hit “Meet the Press” to expound on her compelling “are you serious?” theory of congressional power while Boehner will turn up on “Face the Nation” to discuss repeal. Your best bet, though, is “This Week,” where Stephanopoulos will ask Ted Kennedy’s wife the tough questions about whether she thinks Teddy’s high-fiving with God in heaven. Then comes the roundtable featuring (a) Artur Davis, who’s gone from Democrat to independent to conservative warrior in record time; (b) Keith Olbermann, who’s earned a spot on this highly rated national television show by, I guess, keeping up his Twitter feed; and (c) George Will, who’ll explain to America why having the Court bless the biggest congressional power grab in decades is a huge win for conservatism or something.

The line-up via WaPo:

NBC’s Meet the Press: Democratic Leader Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-CA); former Gov. Howard Dean (D-VT); Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA); Rich Lowry, National Review; Eugene Robinson, Washington Post; Chuck Todd, NBC; Savannah Guthrie, NBC

CBS’ Face the Nation: Speaker Rep. John Boehner (R-OH); Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY); Sen. Tom Coburn (R-OK); Gov. Martin O’Malley (D-MD); Gov. Scott Walker (R-WI); John Harris, Politico; Major Garrett, National Journal; John Dickerson, CBS and Slate; Jan Crawford, CBS

ABC’s This Week: Vicki Kennedy, widow of former Sen. Ted Kennedy; White House chief of staff, Jack Lew; Rep. Paul Ryan, (R-WI); Keith Olbermann, political commentator; George Will, ABC News; Donna Brazile, ABC News; Rep. Artur Davis (R-AL); Terry Moran, ABC News

Fox News Sunday: John Brennan, White House Counterterrorism Adviser; Joel Osteen, Lakewood Church; Victoria Osteen, Lakewood Church; Brit Hume, Fox News; Liz Marlantes, Christian Science Monitor; Kimberly Strassel, Wall Street Journal; Charles Lane, Washington Post; Dr. Suzan Murray, The National Zoo

CNN’s State of the Union with Candy Crowley: Jack Lew, White House chief of staff; former Governor Jennifer Granholm, (D-MI); Carly Florina, California Senate Candidate; Dan Lothian, CNN; Susan Page, USA Today; Gov. John Hickenlooper (D-CO)

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I was just adding ammunition to your argument. :-)

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Indeed! I saw that and recognize it! Thank you very much! Am I sounding brittle, peevish and sensitive like the thin=skinned Øbama today? \

ExpressoBold on July 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Unless you are a member of a greedy union, government or private, including retirees; they are all exempted from the Cadillac tax. Just another little goody given out to the greedy union thugs.

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

I know. After I posted that ExpressoBold did a much better job of itemizing the goodies. It looks like there is something in it for everyone. My only consolation is that it doesn’t really matter because this POS is never going to be enacted.

Night Owl on July 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The more I hear Jindal, the more I’m convinced he’s the man for the #2 job.

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Yep – he knows his stuff and with ObamaTaxCare back as the number one issue – his knowledge on health care would be a huge plus.

gophergirl on July 1, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Ann, I agree. Gregory is a smarmy weasel.

Jindal is a great VP pick. Romney already has the South, so that aspect of him being veep won’t help. And there is the natural-born citizen issue that I do not want to litigate here (although I think he would get through that).

Obama is courting Hispanics; Romney could court Asians with Jindal. Asians are the fastest-growing minority group in the US.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Last night while watching Olympic trials on NBC I saw a news scroll that read something like, “Justice Dept. won’t press charges against Attorney General Eric Holder.” So there’s that!

Nikkia2112 on July 1, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Meghan Kelly predicted this exact same thing last weekend and said that the next course of action would be in civil court. Though nothing will happen there either.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

From the headlines via the NYT

A Congress that can advance national priorities only through its taxing power is a Congress with little power at all. That is the real legacy of the last term. The Supreme Court has given Americans who care about economic and social justice a reason to worry this Fourth of July. The court’s guns have been loaded; it only remains to be seen whether it fires them.

Wakey Wakey little liberals. You are given an upheld unpopular law that can be repealed and in exchange threatened with the inablity to advance your gender rights, voter-id hating, affirmative action, social welfare loving agenda. That is unless you want to convince the American people they have to pay for it with increased taxes when they have no jobs. You still have that power. Good luck with that.

txmomof6 on July 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

stupid woman on face the nation interrupting and questioning Coburn but doesn’t question a work Schumer says

Donald Draper on July 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

A defense of weepiness/impotence/victimhood from someone who claims to be on the Right?

I can see that you haven’t been to your grief counselor yet! lol :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 10:32 AM

WTF are you whining about? Politics ain’t beanbag, Bozorro, nor is politics in any way like baseball. It’s a stupid analogy but I have no doubt that you will continue to defend it no matter what. Conservatives have been victimized by media. You would recognize that as someone who “claims to be on the Right” but if you just want to laugh it off, LOL, and let the chips fall where they may rather than pointing it out then, please, continue your own victim status (or don’t recognize it?).
I repeat: Stupid analogy, really, missing lots of correlation that would justify such a comparison.
Oh yeah, this too: LOL.

ExpressoBold on July 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Sunday Morning Talking Heads: why is their opinion any more significant or insightful or knowledgable than my own? I need these people to tell me about what my own eyes see and my own eats hear?

Go get a real job. We could use a few more machinists and plumbers.

Cleombrotus on July 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

That broad on Face the Nation has some pretty eyes.

Wagthatdog on July 1, 2012 at 10:54 AM

gregory gave 2 minutes to fast and furious contempt

wow

cmsinaz on July 1, 2012 at 10:55 AM

On FTN, Sen. Coburn asks where we get the subsidies to make the exchanges work. Don’t confuse the rabble with facts; that makes them angry.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 10:56 AM

His health care administration and executive experience is superior of those in the VP stakes. That’s why I like him so much. And he’s a great surrogate for Romney in facing the press.Philly on July 1, 2012 at 10:44 AM

His healthcare knowledge is superlative and he’s a great off the cuff speaker. You can see from the shows today that they’re going to use the “but Romney did it in MA” argument and I think Jindal is the best one to defend it, to the extent it can be defended. The reality is that this would be a lot easier if there had been no Romneycare. But it is what it is and we have to play the hand we’ve been dealt.

Btw, I also loathe Eugene Robinson and F. Chuck Todd.

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Night Owl on July 1, 2012 at 10:41 AM

Thanks! Remember to copy the link or bookmark it since there is more good information there.

ExpressoBold on July 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Oh yeah, this too: LOL.

ExpressoBold on July 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

I will defend my usage of it, because I can see how apt it is – I’m not the one who’s humorlessly defending/making excuses for overemotionalism/whining in politics by Righties like you are, am I, Ms. Verbose Projection? LOL :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:00 AM

This “free rider” terminology used by Jacob Lew on Wallace’s show is infuriating. Still, they look into the camera and LIE right to your face.

“This is a law that says if you can afford insurance and you choose not to buy it and you choose to have your health costs be a burden to others you’ll pay a penalty so that you’ll pay your fair share. That’s what this law says. [...] For the very few people who decide to be free riders and not have their insurance but still have their costs go into the system so the rest of us pay it, there’s a penalty.” ~ Jacob Lew, Fox New Sunday 7/1/12

What if you don’t go to the doctor or pay out of pocket when you do?

It seems to me that if this is a penalty, you must first do something wrong. According to Lew and other democrats, this “penalty” is to be paid only by “free-riders”. Yet it’s entirely possible they’ll be paying when no health care costs have bee shifted to “the rest of us”. Its a LIE.

BKeyser on July 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

How come the lib or Barry’s people outnumber GOP’s representatives in every show (and Fox essentially have no one representing the Republicans)?

bayview on July 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Obamacare’s defenders still deny Obama^Tax is a tax.

It’s a penalty…”

And the lickspittle media whores say nothing.

profitsbeard on July 1, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Yeah, just like the contempt vote against Holder was never going to be held because Boehner/Issa weren’t going to persist to make sure it happened, right?

How much fun in life do Chicken Littles like you have, anyways? :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Btw, I also loathe Eugene Robinson and F. Chuck Todd.

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Throw Norah O’Donnell on that pile as well, IMHO.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

If Steffy is going to drag out Kennedy’s widow, why doesn’t he drag out widows and widowers from nationalized healthcare countries. Their loved ones died because the wait lines were too long or they were deemed too old. Or interview someone at M.D. Anderson who came from Canada to get the best cancer treatment in the world.

Good ole Ted Kennedy, who did more damage to this country than any other politician, beginning with the Immigration Act of 1965 which opened the floodgates.

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

Melissa Clouthier ‏@MelissaTweets
RT @TheRickWilson: This is why #FaceTheNation has a problem. Not a single tough q for Schumer. Borderline abuse for Boehner and Coburn.

Donald Draper on July 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

TAXES haven’t gone down under President Obama, the tax rate stayed the same. What happened was they CUT our social security investment. That’s robbing from peter to pay paul.

Wagthatdog on July 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM

ExpressoBold on July 1, 2012 at 10:57 AM

You’re welcome and I will. You, INC, Flora Duh, canopfor, Resist We Much and so many other people I can’t remember right now really do a great job of providing good information to the rest of us and I for one, really appreciate it.

Night Owl on July 1, 2012 at 11:12 AM

Apparently, the WH has decided that it’s getting nowhere putting out clowns like Axelrod and Plouffe. Lew seems to be the guy they’re trying this week.

I just saw Wallace go through all the paces to highlight that Obamacare is a tax. Lew continued to insist that it’s a penalty and that it was upheld under one of several Congressional powers.

Total bullshite.

BuckeyeSam on July 1, 2012 at 10:15 AM

One simple question which should shut them up: “Why does the Senate now only need 51 votes to repeal 0bamaCare, w/o concern for reconciliation, if it’s not legally a tax?”

If they’d still deny it, follow up by asking, “What does Roberts’ decision say again? Do you need his help to clarify it for you?” :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

How much fun in life do Chicken Littles like you have, anyways? :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:04 AM

Well I was right about the SCOTUS ruling on O-care, so there’s that. There should be a Special Prosecutor appointed for FnF is my main point, but the WH has too much to hide.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

You’re still the king of chuckle-inducing snark, AP! Thanks.

KS Rex on July 1, 2012 at 11:19 AM

TxAnn56 on July 1, 2012 at 11:07 AM

I’ve always wondered, as per the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, if, in hell, they get to see the effects on succeeding generations of their self-righteous ideas that they forced on everyone else.

Cleombrotus on July 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

That the Left is struggling to admit 0bamaCare is a tax shows how much denial they’re in over the fact they lost the Roberts’ decision – certain people on the Right would do well for themselves to accept this fact, too! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

House Judiciary Chair Lamar Smith called for a Special Prosecutor in October, 2011.

Since one hasn’t been appointed I guess we can assume Obama told them to eff off.

Flora Duh on July 1, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I ask this seriously: are you saying you enjoy that you were right about the 0bamaCare ruling? If so, you don’t think that’s a twisted way to go through life?

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

bayview on July 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Because they are all commie bastards?

Mr. Arrogant on July 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

@GOP

When asked why Admin used Exec Privilege on ‪#FastandFurious‬, Chief of Staff says… transparency? http://t.co/hogUQTDj

Flora Duh on July 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

bayam on July 1, 2012 at 9:47 AM
… You really ought to read more.

Night Owl on July 1, 2012 at 9:54 AM

…YOU try reading… with Your head in your rectum!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Cleombrotus on July 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Too bad Charles Dickinson ain’t around anymore. It’d make a great sequel to A Christmas Carol.

Cleombrotus on July 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

You are obviously looking for someone to have a pissing contest with. Good luck with that.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Donald Draper on July 1, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Schumer kept talking about how ObamaTax would stop “free riders” who use emergency care and burden the average person by raising everyone’s rates.

The journalette reporter then failed to ask:

profitsbeard on July 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Had you paid attention to that little nugget you wouldn’t have asked your “serious” question.

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

…YOU try reading… with Your head in your rectum!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM

At first I was offended, and then I got it, so- LOL!

Night Owl on July 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Too bad Charles Dickinson Dickins ain’t around anymore. It’d make a great sequel to A Christmas Carol.
Cleombrotus on July 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Darned autocorrect.

Cleombrotus on July 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

The journalette reporter then failed to ask:

“So, Mr. Schumer, this means that the 20 million illegal aliens will be refused emergency medical care from now on under Obamacare? They will no longer be permitted to be ‘free riders‘?”

profitsbeard on July 1, 2012 at 11:31 AM

The proggies used the illegal alien uninsured as justification for Obamacare, yet it does nothing for the illegal aliens.

It’s not intended to, and it shouldn’t, but then don’t tell me Obamacare is about the uninsured and ‘free riders’.

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

The fact that you portray me that way after answering my question, “How much fun in life do Chicken Littles like you have, anyways?”, with, “Well I was right about the SCOTUS ruling on O-care, so there’s that.”, shows that I‘m the one of us who’s not being straightforward here somehow?

OK, if you insist, I will not try to stop you, you happy-go-lucky, Chicken Little you! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Night Owl on July 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM

(:->)

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Rio Linda Refugee on July 1, 2012 at 11:29 AM

…usually has a pretty good head on the shoulders and a good poster…but I have noticed the same need to urinate lately!…probably have to just answer like Key West Reader does…”you mad bro?” …and let it go!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

When I say “bless your heart” to HA trolls like Uppereastside, I sincerely mean, “what an idiot.”

Flora Duh on July 1, 2012 at 8:42 AM

I believe the literal translation is “Up your fnorkl sideways with a
frozen swordfish”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on July 1, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Did anyone talk about whether there will be tax credits or medicare expansions for some “free riders?” If there are, the ride will still be free for them, just an additional cost to others.

limmo on July 1, 2012 at 12:48 PM

If Obamacare is a tax where does it go on my 1040?

Wagthatdog on July 1, 2012 at 12:51 PM

And for the 7 or 8 nitwits left in America who aren’t liberals and still don’t understand the nearly complete control of network media by the left, let’s see how the news industry does at representing the two major political parties and their respective camps, conservative v. liberal:

NBC’s Meet the Press: D; D; R; R; D; D; D

CBS’ Face the Nation: R; D; R; D; R; D; ?; D; D

ABC’s This Week: D; D; R; kook-left D; R; D; R; D

Fox News Sunday: D; I; R; I; I; D; I

CNN’s State of the Union: D; D; R; D; D; D

Scorecard:

R: 10
D: 22

I (Irrelevant): 4
?: Not a clue
Moderators: D, D, D, D, D

Wow … really on their game this week. Fox News: four completely weird and irrelevant guests, two liberals, and one Republican. With moderators included, we have 27 liberals (many from the kook-left-fringe), and 10 Republicans, but really only two nominal conservatives — Tom Coburn, who often poses as a liberal to confuse people, and Rich Lowry, who is surely conservative and yet still seems to detest the rest of us.

Sick.

Jaibones on July 1, 2012 at 12:52 PM

If it is a penalty, can an individual that can demonstrably prove that they have incurred no medical costs in a calendar year be penalized? Penalized for what exactly? This scenario is more common than you might think. In my younger years I went years without medical needs.

Interesting that Jacob Lew us the conflicting terminology in one paragraph.”Fair share” has clearly been established as synonymous with taxes (however…this fair share isn’t targeted to the rich, but disproportionately targeted at lower income folks…shhhhh). Then he says it’s a penalty. Wonder where he would have gotten this grammatical gymnastics approach? Thanks again, Roberts.

Huckabye-Romney on July 1, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Since the Supreme Court has ruled OBAMAcare a TAX, and OBAMA has directly attacked the Catholic Church and Freedom of religion by FORCING them to cover abortions and contraception, I am sure that now the PRINCIPLED Catholics in the Democrat Party and those who are against raising taxes on the middle class will correct their mistake on July 11, and vote to repeal this bill , I am equally certain the American public will be watching!

How about them talking points Boehner? Find your manhood Repunks or your going down too. There is no reason this shall stand unless its cowardice in the face of danger, danger to us all.

ConcealedKerry on July 1, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Jack Lew is on Fox News Sunday basically telling people that there is nothing to talk about so just get on with it an accept Obamacare. LOL.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM

It’s time to move on, Lew says. Chris Wallace is fit to pounce.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Honest to Pete, I just cannot believe Jack Lew just told the nation to shut up and move on.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

Get on with implementation. Quiet down, worms, and accept your fate under this regime.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:05 PM

OMG. Jack Lew said the Supremes did not call this a tax. Chris Wallace is about to burst.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I can. And did you see the look on ol’ Jack’s face when Chris played the audio of Obama’s lawyer arguing before the court that it was a tax?

Priceless!

Flora Duh on July 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Ugh, Jack. Simplifying this law down to if you don’t have insurance, you must buy it or pay a penalty. Please, we know what’s about to happen.

This is not a burden on the middle class, Jack Lew said. Aaaaauuuuugh! Lies.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Mitt, you need to tell Americans, especially the middle class and working poor who struggle to pay for insurance, what’s about to happen to them. I don’t think they understand.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Medicaid is a failed experiment. It’s no wonder a governor would not want to expand it.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Move on, Jack repeats. It’s the liberal mantra: Just fuggedaboutit and move on, rubes.

We love Big Brother.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Is this what they meant by moveon.org?

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:14 PM

So I am watching Mr. Lew on FNS and I am struck by the repeated mentions of the “1% of the population” that doesn’t have health insurance. I will NEVER in a million years, no matter how much y’all try to explain, and bless your hearts I know that you would try, understand how our country has been brought to its knees over 1% of the population without healthcare and 10% of mortgages in default. It just isn’t logical.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Now the GOP response. Mitch McConnell.

77 percent of the taxes for Obamacare will be levied on the middle class. Medicare cuts are killer, 500 billion tax increase and it is a JOB KILLER.

Single worst piece of legislation in modern times.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM

800,000 jobs gone

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:22 PM

get rid of half-trillion in taxes and half-trillion in Medicare cuts.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Not take a meat ax to the health care system – go step by step; deal with specific issues affecting cost: interstate competition, tort reform.

No promise of universal health care; not going to turn health system into European model.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Protecting those who are disqualified because of pre-existing conditions: Use the current state high-risk pools already in use. Funding is an issue.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Bobby Jindal is better at this than Mitch. At least today.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM

Re the mythical ‘uninsured’, never in American history have so many lies been told about a group of human beings, and so much money been spent, and so many government programs been created, to address those lies.

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

FNS: Wallace Was really quizzing Lew, but it is nice for them they’re “free Riders” line fits in w/ the “Fair Share” they already have going. Still very hard to run on raising taxes.

McConnell was doing great till Wallace asked him about ACA, sounded like a RINO if I’ve ever heard one, “scalpel” “no major changes”? well why vote for R’s then? then he said Obamas was Gov run health care, So “no major changes” tells me he wants Gov run healthcare too. then later said “State based pool” is what he wants. NO MESSAGE AT ALL ON THIS just “Its a Tax!!”

Wallace cleaned up today.

boogaleesnots on July 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

The truth is, very few of those that claim to be ‘uninsurable because of pre-existing conditions’ are truly uninsurable. Any time the White House comes up with an example of someone they say is ‘uninsurable because of pre-existing conditions’, it turns out to be a web of lies.

Those making the claim are generally insurable, but don’t like the high premiums, so they claim they are uninsurable. Many of those got themselves into that predicament by going without insurance, and now will not take responsibility for that decision. Many more of them are eligible for Medicaid and haven’t applied for some reason.

If you have a very serious medical problem and you are uninsured and poor, it’s too late for insurance (duh), what you need is medical charity.

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM

slickwillie2001 on July 1, 2012 at 2:27 PM

It’s crazy. I have one of those uninsured “young” people and while I’m not happy about it, it will still be cheaper for him to pay the “tax” and make the occasional trip to the doctor than to get insurance. And if what I understand is true, they are going to take it from tax refunds, big deal, kids think that that is like a bonus anyway.

Cindy Munford on July 1, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Melissa Clouthier ‏@MelissaTweets

Donald Draper on July 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I/we can’t help Boehner, Coburn etc. if they won’t defend themselves. Coburn is a respected MD, and Boehner obviously has mojo once in a while. Grown men that sit and take abuse and do not make their case when given the opportunity sicken me.

They have a much bigger forum than we here at HA and yet they squander it every chance they get.

arnold ziffel on July 1, 2012 at 2:40 PM

The state I live in has a high-risk pool that offers much lower rates for coverage, but there are few slots (maybe 300 or 400) and I don’t know how the state deems who gets coverage (first in line, most in need, etc.). McConnell is right: Those pools exist. How they are administered, I have no clue.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Brit Hume just schooled Liz Marlantes on Obama’s failure to sell health care reform prior to its passage. LOL.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Hi, I don’t mean to be sour, but our leaders John B. and Mitch M. were competent but dull this morning on tv.

I was reading an article on The Hill that said that Paul Ryan was maxing out on his terms as head of the Budget Committee, giving a republican/ or house tradition of term limits on positions there, emphasizing that it would be the “turn” of the person skipped over so that Ryan could have it.

The cliche, “I am sure that John and Mitch are nice people” needs to be said here, so, it is a matter of personal style for me, and that might be insulting, but these guys are not dynamic speakers. Both of them had the proper SENIORITY to put their name up for the job.

While some knowledge and wisdom come with time, it is just not the rule in Washington D.C. What I mean is, some people grow in ability and wisdom, and others do not rise to the occasion. A lot of the rules in the House and the Senate that have to do with seniority, prevent your representative and mine, from being held as an equal on capital hill. For many, it is a disappointment, that a skilled Leader from Fla., Senator Rubio, is not given equal decision making power to Mitch McConnell, Senator Brown was cut down by the leadership when he arrived in Washington having campaigned on Wall Street financial reform, could not find anyone unafraid to go there and had to resort to working on a bad democrat bill. Because he promised in the campaign he would stop health care and end “too big to fail…” And countless others who came to Washington with tea party ideals were told, well you are a freshman. These seniority rules are bad, and work on Capitol hill just like they do in Unions. They protect the bad or lack luster that have more years.

If they had not skipped the seniority system, Paul Ryan would never have been appointed. It is time to upend this foolishness, which gives the essence of some oldboys thingy, and is a drag on everything.

Who do you want as Speaker (do you have to be able to speak without wincing, John?) and Senate Majority leader, in 2013?

Fleuries on July 1, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Breaking News:
Teddy K. not found to high five God because of a delay gaining admittance. Kennedy complaining of unseasonable heat on Twitter.

Herb on July 1, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Let’s pound this into their heads: according to Roberts’ decision, now, only 51 votes are needed in the Senate to repeal 0bamessiahCare rather than 60, meaning it is a tax which can be relatively easily repealed, you frozen doorknobs! :)

Bizarro No. 1

Now pound this in your head….because of the Robert’s ruling, we now HAVE to find 51 votes to repeal the law. If he does his job, we don’t need any votes to get rid of it.

Oh, and by the way, we don’t have 51 votes in the senate. We have to pick up 6-8 seats in November to even give us a shot at getting 51 votes. Good luck with that. And per the logic of many folks here, we probably should take a page from the calculated brilliance of John Roberts and not talk about repeal anyway, because if we do, Obama will use that arrow from his quiver to motivate his base to come out and re-elect him to keep the republicans from repealing the law.

xblade on July 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

The best person on any of these shows this morning was Arthur Davis, the former Alabama congressman who schooled George Will on Will’s notion of “long term conservative victory” as well as human nature:
Will: In a year we’ll be back here talking about how the court struck down Affirmative Actions, parts of the voting rights act and challenges to DOMA.
Davis: No, in a year, we’ll he back here taking about how the left screamed about the legitimacy of the court, and Roberts caved again.
Will: the taxing power, as spelled out by Roberts, is limited. Public opinion won’t stand for it.
Davis: for the first time, the court has said you may tax a person for inactivity. It will happen again. You give somebody a power and they will use it. The fact that they can continue to insist that its not a tax, as the Obama surrogates are doing this weekend, is a bonus, because there will be always be a judge out there who will do it for them.

I’ve read George Will for more than 30 years, when he was the brash young boy in WAshington. Now he is 70 and is the old man of Washington journalism. A month ago he wrote a column, attacking Pat Leahy, Jeffrey Rosen and others for trying to intimidate Roberts, and in it he referred to Roberts’ “spine of steel.” He must be pretty embarassed.

senor on July 1, 2012 at 4:24 PM

BKeyser on July 1, 2012 at 11:02 AM

You are 100% correct. I earn a good living, and have a pre-existing condition which has precluded my being able to get medical insurance. I had used California Major Risk up to when I was 55, but then the premiums increased to almost $2500 per month! I dropped that insurance and essentially self-insured. That’s OK because it was cheaper for me. But with ObozoCare, the Skinny Socialist would have me pay a penalty for having the insurance I want!!!!!!! Would have been nice if I could have found a very high (c. $20K) deductible hospitalization plan for extreme cost containment, but ObozoCare and the Skinny Socialist will not allow that!!!!!

Now, all you Socialist, progressive, piss ant liberals tell me that the Republicans have no plans with which to replace ObozoCare.

NOMOBO on July 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I read the link list at the top of HA. Looks like Jack Lew has been to all the major networks to spew the get over it and move on campaign theme.

Everyone, just stop talking about it and accept your fate. Really.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 4:59 PM

This is a red herring/straw man: 0bamessiahCare is a tax, by law, which is why the Senate needn’t concern itself with reconciliation anymore. That is not the outcome the Left was hoping for, is it?

How do you like dem apples, bayam? :)

Bizarro No. 1

Obamacare is the law of the land that will most likely never go away, and is a huge victory for the democrats. He and pretty much every other democrat loves dem apples.

Nikkia2112 o

In bizarro world, that’s a victory for republicans. Shazam, we win again!

Bizarro No. 1

Why wouldn’t he enjoy it? According to you it’s a great victory for Republicans and a huge defeat for democrats, lol.

xblade on July 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

NOMOBO

You’re just not sophisticated enough to grasp the subtle nuance of the huge victory Roberts handed us. Sure, we’re stuck with a bad law and little chance of ever getting rid of it, and yes, your health care options will suck from here on out, but on the bright side, you can call Obamacare a tax. We win!

xblade on July 1, 2012 at 5:41 PM

Now the GOP response. Mitch McConnell.

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM

McConnell gave such a weak, evasive performance in his response. Does the GOP not have better representation for its causes?

bayview on July 1, 2012 at 5:45 PM

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM

lol is something bothering you? :)

When/where have I ever acted like what you are saying about KWR? It’s not in my genes to behave that way – I do not get my ego caught up into my posts, and act burdensomely towards others. If you say that’s wrong, why don’t you provide one example to the contrary of this ‘not having a good head on my shoulders’/”need to urinate” of which you speak – just one?!

If I misunderstood what RLR meant, it’s because I mistakenly saw her/him acting like so many hysterical/cynical/pessimistic Chicken Littles have here lately. I realize that what may have tripped me up is that RLF meant to only say “criminal” rather than “civil” in the post that started our exchange, but, seeing how quick RLR was to impune my motives, could you not reasonably understand why I might have a legitimate doubt about that? All RLR would have to do here is correct me on a rational/impersonal level, and I’ll admit I was wrong for my misinterpretation – do you believe that’s true, or false?

If all of what I just said there about myself is true, you should apologize to me for portraying me as a partisan hack. If, however, you won’t correct yourself non-snarkily, well, we’d both know who the real partisan hack here is, wouldn’t we? :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 6:17 PM

xblade on July 1, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Guess what? I don’t happen to agree with your analysis/conclusions! And, I also happen to know from experience how useless your cynical, pessimistic, down-talking is – when I want something done right/well, negative, unconstructive people like you are not the ones I look to/think about first, or close to first even, to get the job done!

The House is voting July 11th, where the vote to repeal will pass – let’s see how much pressure that puts on Reid/other Senators to justify any vote against repeal. I very much look forward to seeing their reactions – whether a do-nothing/accomplish-nothing whiner like you does or not does not interest me much! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Philly on July 1, 2012 at 2:21 PM

McConell was so confusing today. Thank God its Summer. I almost think he wants do to the same thing as Obama but different only with states, or maybe he wants to go back to the old way just do it better?

The Voucher system would be a good sell right now, something similar to what McCain was selling in 08′, get a “We give they take” kinda message going. Instead of taking from you “we give you a voucher and a choice for healthcare”

boogaleesnots on July 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM

It’s not ‘rape’ rape.

LizardLips on July 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM

That’s your opinion, it is not fact – I do not agree with your pessimistic fearmongering!

In bizarro world, that’s a victory for republicans. Shazam, we win again!

xblade on July 1, 2012 at 5:33 PM

LOL

Reduced to feeling the need to speak for me now? You do not realize how pathetic that makes you look, do you, especially when what you said there are not my positions at all, genius!

You make straw men caricatures of people in your non-vivid imagination because you are neither smart nor creative enough to know how to put your ego aside in order to actually listen to those who disagree with/articulate their thoughts/beliefs better than you! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Bobby Jindal fantastic Mitch McConnell has no clue on how to deliver a message period. Sadly we’re stuck with him.

ldbgcoleman on July 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM

ldbgcoleman on July 1, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Boehner’s wimpy, but I like him, as a person at least. Can’t say the same for Mitch, unfortunately! :(

PS Jindal is the person I’ve been supporting for VP…

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 7:50 PM