Quotes of the Day

posted at 8:30 pm on June 30, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

“(T)he government’s tax power theory is far more radical than the Commerce and Necessary and Proper Clause theory precisely because the Supreme Court has generally deferred to any invocation of the tax power to raise revenue to spend for the general welfare. This normal deference is why the mandate’s defenders shifted the argument from the Commerce Clause to the tax power. Yet if its theory is accepted, Congress would be able to penalize or mandate any activity by anyone in the country, provided it limited the sanction to a fine enforced by the Internal Revenue Service.

This is a congressional power unknown and unheard of before 2010. It would effectively grant Congress a general police power. And we know what existing doctrine says about such a power: ‘The Constitution . . . withhold[s] from Congress a plenary police power that would authorize enactment of every type of legislation.’ Such has been the Supreme Court’s position from the Founding until today.”

***

“My guess is that my constituents would appreciate another vote,” Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R-Mo.) said.

The House GOP already voted to repeal President Obama’s healthcare overhaul as one of its first acts in 2011. But in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the law, party leaders plan to do so again on July 11.

“Obviously we all understand that it’s a statement of principle and it doesn’t have any chance in the Senate, but I think it’s appropriate,” Rep. Charlie Bass (R-N.H.) said Friday.

***

I’m in the swamp. A line in a bill that says “PPACA is repealed” would have budgetary effects and a CBO score. Over the last two years I’ve talked to plenty of Republicans who have experience with reconciliation, and they do not think this is an impossible mission. CBO, as Lizza notes, has in the past found Obamacare to be a money-saver for the government, but it may not so find it in 2013. Even if it does, a reconciliation bill could just find a small amount of offsetting savings to make a repeal bill deficit-reducing and thus, under the current rules, eligible for reconciliation.

I don’t think Lizza is right about the individual mandate, either, assuming that individual items in Obamacare had to be repealed one by one. The Supreme Court just said the bill has a tax on being uninsured rather than a mandate. Taxes can be changed through reconciliation.

***

Republicans are so upset because one of the basic pillars of the “Obama illegitimacy” canard is that he is operating outside the parameters of the constitution, that he is the point of the shiv aimed at the heart of America.

As the conservative radio host Neal Boortz put it in a Twitter message following the ruling: “I am so sick to death of calling the play-by-play of the destruction of this great country by power-hungry Democrats and the moocher class.”

This ruling has supposedly energized the Republican base. Maybe, but it’s been supporting the repeal of the health care act since it was passed. What’s new? Republicans say that the court called the mandate a tax although Obama had insisted that it wasn’t. True, but I’m not sure that has legs outside the Grover Norquist-no-tax echo chamber.

***
ObamaCare will preclude people from having the health care that they like. We have seen this law increase costs, and we are committed to changing that. We are committed to making sure that we can return to patient-based health care in this country, where we can keep costs low, and we can increase access. And that’s why when we return the week of July 9th, I have scheduled a vote for total repeal of the ObamaCare bill to occur on Wednesday, July 11th.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Bmore,

I get that you’re playing Wheel of Fortune with tunes.

The first word is TAX.

Is there a phrase we’re to guess?

INC on July 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

If his tax opinion is correct, then the certiorari was improvidently granted and it would be inappropriate to rule on the case until a tax has been assessed.

Day 1 of arguments, everyone agreed it was NOT a tax, else they’d have to wait until someone was taxed to be able to bring it before the court.

LtGenRob on July 1, 2012 at 12:16 AM

ERGO:

Roberts is legally or mentally unfit to serve and should be removed through impeachment.

profitsbeard on July 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Sure thing. BTW who is he? Charles Johnsons LGF brother? Or is he related to Levi?

SparkPlug on July 1, 2012 at 1:19 AM

LoLz..Not sure where he is from but Dave knows him well!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

You’re not wrong, but Roberts is, and it is done now.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I know, but it still irritates me. But that is why I don’t believe that Roberts was actually “helping out our cause” by doing what he did, when it could have gone very different. And to a much fairer conclusion.

To Nov. and to the barricades!

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2012 at 1:15 AM

I’m with you!

Sterling Holobyte on July 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Good Night All.

Bmore on July 1, 2012 at 1:24 AM

I still don’t understand why the Supreme Court couldn’t just say that since the HC bill mandate couldn’t stand unless it was changed to a tax, the legislators would have to vote on the bill again to get it passed. And since the dems don’t have a sweeping majority anymore like they did when they shoved it through the first time, they wouldn’t be able to do it this time, and would be forced to either, A. Scrap the whole thing, or B. Have to work with republicans to develop a better bill that would be acceptable all around. That could have settled this whole thing. Or am I wrong?

Sterling Holobyte on July 1, 2012 at 1:08 AM

Roberts did let the bill stand, but only as a tax, which, as Stephanopoulos pointed out, is what it really was afterall, no matter what the Dumbocrats try to say to the contrary.

He didn’t throw it back to Congress himself, but, that is where it’s ending up, on July 11th – get ready! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Are you going to vote for Gary Johnson??..:):)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 1:20 AM

LOL! Hellfire yeah! His theme songs pretty good.

Bmore on July 1, 2012 at 1:29 AM

LoLz..Not sure where he is from but Dave knows him well!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

Gary went door to door begging for campaign contributions in 10 large neighborhoods and noone named Dave was ever home. There were Dougs and Dons and even a Damiam but no Daves.

SparkPlug on July 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM

It always perplexed me there’s a toll to cross the Francis Scott Key bridge. You would think that one would be free. It’s paid for ten times over.

Tax, fee, toll, vocabulary. The more money they take the less free I am. Every penny tbey take is slavery at this point. Because they use it for themselves. To garner power. The money I am garnished against my will doesn’t help me.

I’d rather just keep my money and make my own desisions.

If they gave me back all my SS contributions in this depressed housing market? I’d sign off. Give me my money back.

wolly4321 on July 1, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Sterling Holobyte on July 1, 2012 at 1:23 AM

You don’t believe denying that 0bamessiahCare was acceptable under the CC, or the ruling against the Federal gov’t on Medicaid expansion, were good, Conservative results?

I don’t understand the extreme excitement over the ruling by so many on the Right, but, then again, I never doubted that Issa would come through for us on F&F, either! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Bmore on July 1, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Lolz..Good one!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 1:32 AM

Bizarro No. 1 on July 1, 2012 at 1:25 AM

I know they are going to vote to repeal it, but even the republicans said that that vote is mainly a show of principle and will have no chance in the senate. I am talking about voting on it as a “new” bill, but with the now-corrected terminology of it as a “tax”.

Bottom line though is that the monster will still be there in July. It will have villagers at the door, but it will be safe up there in the tower.

Sterling Holobyte on July 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

Bmore,

I get that you’re playing Wheel of Fortune with tunes.

The first word is TAX.

Is there a phrase we’re to guess?

INC on July 1, 2012 at 1:22 AM

INC, I was going to go for TAXED ENOUGH ALREADY, someone else will have to do the next word and then some else to do the last word. Either that or it will have to keep till morning. I’m beat. ; )

Bmore on July 1, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I see no pattern, which would assure me Mitt Romney is going to be elected and turn into Mr. Uber-Conservative, righting all wrongs of the Liberal Establishment (Left & Right) or set into motion any events which will undo Robert’s novel taxation.

Has desperation born delusion among us?

Sharr on June 30, 2012 at 11:31 PM

No, Romney will not, and I, for one, am not deluded. But he does not hate this country, its capitalist heritage, nor most of the people who inhabit it. Obama does, from his roots and deep within his soul. As do his sycophants in his government and in the media.

Romney in no way was my choice in the primaries, but stopping the Obama transformation of this great country into a socialist Europe or, worse, a caliphate, is now my quest, my American Jihad. You can whine all you want about our choices, but if you cannot fathom what four more years of Obama will mean to you and yours, you are to be pitied.

TXUS
on July 1, 2012 at 12:40 AM

+ 100..Excellent post!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Excellent comment :)

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Super good comment Schad

SparkPlug on July 1, 2012 at 12:57 AM

So just thought I have a quick look before tuning in to see what y’all were commenting on. Nice job on the comments.

Bmore on July 1, 2012 at 1:02 AM

It’s unanimous.

Well spoken, TXUS. : )

listens2glenn on July 1, 2012 at 1:35 AM

SparkPlug on July 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM

LoLz..Dave told me about a guy who sold dime bags named Gary but I never met him and now I can’t find Dave!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Good tunes Bmore. Did you see my Star-Spangled Banner link earlier?

novaculus on July 1, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Sterling Holobyte on July 1, 2012 at 1:33 AM

It’s more. It’s a chance for lawmakers to call out the lying liars who lied and to hammer the theme that it is the largest regressive tax increase in the history of the world.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM

Bingo!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Agreed. Plus I would like to get some sleep the next eight years…LOL.

d1carter on July 1, 2012 at 12:45 AM

I know you meant that as an exaggeration, and wouldn’t we all love some moments of rest after the Oblitzkrieg. But while getting rid of Obama and hopefully taking back the Senate might allow us a nap or two, the struggle endures.

As tired as I am in this struggle, I always go back to what those men did at Valley Forge, in the cold and wet, and in their socks, the lucky ones that had even those. I shiver still with them on those boats and in the thick snow on the banks, having no idea of the ordeals their families’ back home were enduring at the hands of the King and his Hessian surrogates.

Then I awake, in the security of a nice, comfortable home and all, yet realizing that it would bring nothing but dishonor to those men on that frozen river and to their successors throughout our history, liberty warriors all, were I to rest for a moment at this time and place, knowing that Tyranny knocks, still, at the door. And knocks it will, until the end of time.

TXUS on July 1, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Okay, let’s give this a try.

TitularHead on July 1, 2012 at 1:47 AM

TitularHead on July 1, 2012 at 1:47 AM

Cool. It works.

TitularHead on July 1, 2012 at 1:48 AM

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 1:36 AM

They could’ve done that anyway, and without Roberts leaving the bill intact for the most part.
They should be called out, and I would hope that would resonate with those on the fence, or with democrats with any ounce of decency and common sense. Will it, probably not. The WH and the media will spin it to their side, and they will say, “oh, yeah.”

This bill could have been dead and gone; Obama would be seen as an even bigger failure than he is now; the dem establishment would be downtrodden; and their hippie/OWS supporters would be rioting, once again showing their true colors to the world.

Oh well, on to November. It will be a hard road, but the victory at the end will be sweeter then I guess.

Sterling Holobyte on July 1, 2012 at 1:50 AM

I look at my paycheck, and selfishly I wanna keep it. As much as I can.

Maybe I won’t need a government program if you don’t take all of my money.

wolly4321 on July 1, 2012 at 1:52 AM

TXUS on July 1, 2012 at 12:40 AM

…I pumped!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I don’t understand why there isn’t a bigger narrative from the GOP that ObamaCare got struck down and that the Supreme Court converted it to ObamaTax after the fact. That ObamaCare would never have passed if it was defined as ObamaTax. The main point being that the original ObamaCare with the mandate is no more.

MrX on July 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Bingo!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 1:44 AM

The White House is freaking. They’re out there, trying to sell that “oh, no! It’s not a tax! It’s a penalty!” Whatever the hell that means. No, SCOTUS corrects them, let’s explain this again: it’s a huge fat monstrosity of a tax, because you critters can’t do anything more than tax.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Sterling Holobyte on July 1, 2012 at 1:50 AM

There is no guarantee of victory but it is the path we all must choose if there is to be a chance at victory.

chemman on July 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM

…I pumped!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

..I’m…preview is my friend

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 1:56 AM

Obama would be seen as an even bigger failure than he is now

Sterling Holobyte on July 1, 2012 at 1:50 AM

Hey, I wish the bill was killed, too. But I see this as a castration of Congress, and I also see that this is an opportunity to utterly ruin Obama later this summer and into fall.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 1:57 AM

MrX on July 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

It’s coming. I guarantee you it’s coming.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 1:59 AM

…I pumped!

KOOLAID2 on July 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Whatever floats your boat.

SparkPlug on July 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on July 1, 2012 at 1:04 AM

Just wait and see when all hell breaks out as it dawns upon the gathered masses that Mitt Romney holds a similarly elusive and inscrutable, Gnostic definition of the word “repeal” as Grand Master Roberts holds of the word “tax”.

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Mitt is a turnaround specialist. He knows how to fix things. The only problem I see on the horizon is the “pre-existing conditions” part of any healthcare law. I haven’t the foggiest clue how to solve for that without completely sabotaging what insurance is all about.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I’d rather just keep my money and make my own desisions.

wolly4321 on July 1, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Our incomes represent our energy, moments of our short lives, and those amounts taken from us arbitrarily could otherwise be used to invest, bank and of course spend thus helping the economy.

As our system fails, they will have to come up with more money to prop it up, and especially to keep the virtual wards of the state from tearing the cities apart.

I have no problem with paying a certain amount of taxes if I thought the amount was fair, if I knew everyone was paying their fair share (as the Libs like to spout off all the time about the so-called 1%), and if the money was being used wisely. I’m not an anarcho-Capitalist…many public works of the past have been shining examples of what America could do, but they were tangible structures, or organizations that made Americans safer, or more educated, and enabled private commerce to thrive.

A hundred years ago average citizens were proud of their new schools, their new roads and bridges, their new courthouses, their professional military, libraries, and sundry public works. These things weren’t seen as being “government projects”, they were seen as something we did as a nation. But increasingly the government has become “them” and we have increasingly little to show for the treasure that they pretty much simply rob from the middle class.

But, in a Socialist society there is no middle class, so what they’re doing should be apparent by now.

Dr. ZhivBlago on July 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 1:53 AM

I agree the GOP must take this and run!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 2:14 AM

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM

You said a mouthful there!..Pre existing conditions is going to be a bear for sure!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 2:16 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Mitt Roney is our last hope to repeal this nightmare!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Mitt Romney is our last hope to repeal this nightmare!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 2:27 AM

So you don’t forget the big discussion from this morning/noon/afternoon.

Sibelius’ power is unlimited.

Schadenfreude on July 1, 2012 at 12:41 AM

pssst!… my friend… This is Sibelius. She of the unlimited power is Sebelius. :)

de rigueur on July 1, 2012 at 2:32 AM

I can already hear the Republican congressfolks as they gear up for another repeal vote:

“Oh, yes, they sold us on the benefits of the Affordable Care Act. They said it was going to bring heaven on earth and push back the tides. But at the end of the day? It’s nothing but a big, fat tax. That’s not my words, ladies and gentlemen. Don’t take my word on it. That’s the definition by none other than the Supreme Court of the United States. It is the largest regressive tax increase in the history of the world. But it gets even better, folks. It means there are 16,000 new IRS agents who are going to scrutinize your insurance policy, and if it doesn’t have on i dotted or a t crossed, they’re going to fine you. If it doesn’t cover every last condition they deem appropriate, they’re going to fine you. Because they have to fund this abomination somehow. Because in its current form it is completely and utterly unfunded.”

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Mitt Roney is our last hope to repeal this nightmare!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 2:23 AM

Here is video of Mitt Romney in April of 2010 stating clearly his intent to “fix” Obamacare- in his exact words “…to repeal the bad, and keep the good.”

Romeny repeated an infinite number of times during the ’12 primary that he would “repeal Obamacare.”

Assuming that he was sincere about “fixing” it in 2010 and is sincere now in vowing to “repeal” it- at what point did he shift his position.

A tax is now a tax, except when it’s a penalty. Can “repeal” now also mean “fix” when the circumstances call for it?

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 2:47 AM

People have defended Romney from Obamacare on the basis of federalism, that it’s a states right to violate the spirit of the Constitution if they wish, and they are right as far as far as it goes. However, they can’t explain how Romneycare is substantially different from Obamacare aside from that technicality. For a lot of Romney supporters, their only problem with Obamacare is that a Democrat did it instead of an R. Obama, Democrat, bad; Romney, Republican, good. It’s that simple.

The premise of their argument is absurd, it is based on Obama style Hope and Change. It presumes that examining the actual political record of the anointed one is forbidden and thus Orwellian double-think is required to block the contradictions between truth and fiction. Logic and reason go out the window and primitive partisan group-think takes over.

If a socialist leader of a European country wanted to be the leader of the EU, and he promised he won’t be a socialist anymore, would anybody believe him/her?

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I guess you missed Romney’s speech on Thusday..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 2:59 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I guess you missed Romney’s speech on Thursday..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:01 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM

who thn should we vote for ??..Inquiring minds want to know..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:04 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 2:56 AM

who then should we vote for ??..Inquiring minds want to know..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Fixed!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:05 AM

who thn should we vote for ??..Inquiring minds want to know..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:04 AM

You tell me, there’s going to be three presidential candidates on the everybody’s ballot in November, and two of them invented Obamacare. The third one did not, and would not have had anything to do with Romneycare or Obamacare, and his political record is far more impressive and successful than either of the other two candidates. The choice is obvious for anybody who opposes Obamacare and the runaway debt and inflation leading to economic malaise that was caused by both parties.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Dude, it’s staring you right in the face but you won’t see. The only regime which could force insurance companies to insure those with pre-existing conditions is one just as massive and tyrannical as the one that’s been thrown down upon us.

That Romeny came out the day that Obamacare was upheld as law, vowing to repeal it while promising to “keep in place” the pre-existing conditions clause should tell us all what we need to know of his intentions.

The GOP does not want to re-litigate Health Care. Romeny is being brought in to institutionalize what Obama passed.

…according to Rightosphere’s Kavon Nikrad, who asked Romney if he would repeal the individual mandate and the ban on exclusions for preexisting conditions:

I was one of the first in line to the book signing, and when my turn came I asked Gov. Romney if I could ask him a question. After he told me that this was OK, I posed the following question to him:

“You have stated your intention to spearhead the effort to repeal the ‘worst aspects’ of Obamacare, does this include the repeal of the individual mandate and pre-existing exclusion?”

The Governor’s answer:

“No.”

Gov. Romney went on to explain that he does not wish to repeal these aspects because of the deleterious effect it would have on those with pre-existing conditions in obtaining health insurance.

Romeny can still be stopped. And we can buck the GOP establishment before they carry out their betrayal. Let there be chaos at the RNC Convention this August. And hopefully from that chaos will emerge a leader to lead this fight to it’s end.

Scott Walker?

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:10 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I’m oting for Mitt Romney..If you want to see ObieCare gone..I suggest you do the same..:)

PS..Unless you have another suggestion on who we should vote for??..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:17 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Are you a Sarah Palin fan??..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:18 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM

I’m voting for Mitt Romney..If you want to see ObieCare gone..I suggest you do the same..:)

PS..Unless you have another suggestion on who we should vote for??..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Scott Walker?

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I like Scott Walker, at least on the one issue, (I don’t know much else about him), but nothing like you have proposed is going to happen at the Republican convention, not unless Ron Paul has a lot more delegates than even he has let on. Romney, the inventor of Obamacare, not that they are identical but they are substantially so, is the Republican nominee. That’s what the GOP establishment wanted and that’s what they got.

But if you are like me and don’t want to vote for the inventor of Obamacare, you can vote for one of the most successful governors alive instead. Unlike Obama and Romney, Gary’s record in office is something to brag about. He was so successful and popular that, unlike Romney, Gary won a second term. Gary is a measurably superior candidate over Romney, he may not be a Reagan conservative but he does not believe in big government solutions like Romneycare, and he will be on your ballot in November.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Mr. Knopffler- either you didn’t click on my link above, or your’re just not allowing yourself accept what’s in front of you.

I watched his speech on Thursday, and read it several times in disbelief. I also remember the various times in the last couple years when he came out vowing to fix Obamacare, as well as the times when he reiterated his support for Federal Mandates.

Let’s say I’m the trusting kind. Do I accept his words from 2010 when he spoke of fixing Obamacare, or do I accept his words from Thursday when he vowed to repeal Obamacare? What am I to make of the phrase he used Thursday “keep in place” regarding pre-existing conditions? How do you repeal a bill- which means throw it out in totality- while still keeping parts of it in place?

I sometimes dwell on words and their meaning. But then, I’m not in possession of the Gnostic Seer Stone that Romeny and Roberts have been looking through, which allows them to explore worlds upon worlds within a word.

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:24 AM

Nice try!!..He said Thursday that he would repeal Obiecare..That has got my vote..It is the last hope for repeal of Obiecare..:)

PS..Did you answer my ?? @ 3:18am??..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:31 AM

PS..Unless you have another suggestion on who we should vote for??..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Gary Johnson; I thought it would be apparent.

Dire, if you oppose Obamacare it doesn’t make one bit of sense to vote for the guy who invented it. Gary Johnson streamlined his state government, Romney ballooned his and raised taxes through the roof. I haven’t seen the numbers yet, but when you factor in the Romneycare tax I wouldn’t be surprised if Romney raised taxes more than just about any other governor in the history of America. Why would you want to vote for a guy just like Obama?

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:32 AM

I hope Roberts got his fill of media fawning. It doesn’t last douche baggins. Your one vote is gonna restrain the commerce clause? Me thinks not. This is your legacy…you’ve killed America.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 3:33 AM

Gary Johnson’s a non-starter for me and too many others. I have no idea what if anything could happen at the convention, but if Mitt gets through then Repeal is dead.

Floating Rock, we both know that Romney and the Bush Family and the GOP Establishment have already accommodated themselves to the reality of Obamacare and that’s done. Our only hope is that between now and the Convention, enough people are alerted to this and there is a massive revolt. What could come of that, I have no idea- but we could not possibly be worse off than we are now.

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:37 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:32 AM

..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:39 AM

a massive revolt

revolts don’t happen, this be modern times.

our only hope is actually a real possibility. President and 51 senate votes.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 3:42 AM

OT: Norm was readmitted to the hospital with swelling in his arms and legs and a blood clot in his calf. Please keep the prayers ascending…

OmahaConservative on July 1, 2012 at 3:44 AM

When I grow up, I want to be Mark Steyn.

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

I want to have Mark Steyn’s children … no, really, I do. ;o)

texacalirose on July 1, 2012 at 3:44 AM

Guys & Girls…

Those who point out the KOS video of Romney wanting to keep some parts of Obamacare are missing the most important thing…

We don’t know much about Romney for certain. I don’t think Conservatives can trust him. But what is undeniable about Romney? What’s the one thing you can count on Romney to do?

Flip flop.

Here it works in our favor. What he said yesterday he could change his mind on, let alone 2 years ago. His base wants it repealed, it’s irrelevant what he said two years ago.

We know the current incumbent won’t for sure. End of story.

Ca97 on July 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM

PS..Did you answer my ?? @ 3:18am??..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:31 AM

A “Palin fan”? I’m not a “fan” of people. I would have shed blood and given my own for her cause but she shirked it. Now we’re where we are.

LOL! He said he’d repeal it! Barack sez he Kristchin- who’m ah ta be guessin’.

We’ve got to take a guy at his word, right? We just gotta!

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:37 AM

Romney is the anointed one, there isn’t going to be a revolt from the cheerleaders at the convention. If there is a revolt it will be the Ron Paul delegates, they are the only ones still fighting for freedom and liberty inside the party.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:48 AM

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Thanks..That is all we needed to know about you!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:49 AM

I want to have Mark Steyn’s children.

I’m a man.

tell me something I don’t know

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 3:50 AM

our only hope is actually a real possibility. President and 51 senate votes.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 3:42 AM

If you think you’re going to stop Obamacare by voting for it’s inventor, that’s nuts.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:50 AM

Romeny can still be stopped.

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:10 AM

I don’t want to stop him. In MA, you can contribute beforehand and buy insurance, or you can refuse everything, and take the risk. If you did not contribute beforehand and need to use healthcare, you pay a lot more as a punitive measure. It’s not a criminal act. It’s a civil fine. And yet, it dramatically reduces the number of people who go to emergency services and say “pay my bill, taxpayers!”

People keep railing against socialized medicine. We HAVE socialized medicine in this country already. No emergency room can turn away an injured person, legal or not. We’re picking up a much heftier bill.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 3:51 AM

by voting for it’s inventor

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:50 AM

That’s dishonest, and you know it. Thanks for swallowing the liberal talking points.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Ca97 on July 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM

If you can talk yourself into believing it’s a positive that the GOP nominee is a cynical, lying manipulator and that just maybe this time you won’t be the one he’s scheming on then I can’t argue with you.

We’re not be dragged over the cliff, we’re stepping right off of it.

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:54 AM

Flip flop.

Ca97 on July 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM

bobble head Romney says repeal this week. That’s good, cause everyone else says repeal too. Keep getting those votes Mitt.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 3:55 AM

I’m not a “fan” of people.

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 3:46 AM

Wow.

Live in a cave, I’m guessing?

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 3:50 AM

eff you rock, cause I been stickin’ up for your dumb @ss. Go be dumb elsewhere if you’re gonna be dumb.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 3:57 AM

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 3:56 AM

rofl..This is getting too easy don’t you think?..:):)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:59 AM

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 3:51 AM

Thank you. See, a lot of the Romney supporters think Obamneycare is great. And others still only pretend to dislike Obamneycare because they want to convince people who really don’t like it to vote for their candidate anyway. That’s why they celebrate Roberts decision, because they not only ruled that Obamacare is Constitutional, but so would National-Romeycare. They feel it vindicates their candidate. That’s probably why Romney got the surge in donations, not from people who oppose Obamacare. Why would they send money to the inventor of it, the first politician in American history to do it, only on a state level?

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:01 AM

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 3:53 AM

If it’s dishonest, please explain how.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:02 AM

Fine John. You’re touting Romneycare now. You’ll be touting Obamacare when the GOP publicly begins to talk against Repeal. You’ll be talking up the “good” points and making excuses for why we can’t throw it all out. “Too many provisions that poll well among Indies” you’ll say.

Apparently you’ve seen the video from April 2010, a month after the push for Repeal was underway, and you don’t deny that Romney has issued flatly contradictory statements on it.

Assuming he was sincere then as he is now, when did he shift?

Shouldn’t he be asked? You really think he won’t be asked?

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 4:04 AM

We’re not be dragged over the cliff, we’re stepping right off of

He very well might be scheming. My point is, I don’t care.

We have two options. Romney or Obama. No third party candidate will get close this election.

So Obama, has a 0% chance of repealing the bill. We could literally default on our bonds and debt, and Obama would not repeal his law.

Romney on the other hand is a liar, and changes his opinions, and has no core, but he is currently promising to do the right thing, and even if the odds are only just 1% that he will, well that’s better odds than Obama.

So we have no choice. I wasn’t fired up about voting for Romney, but I am now.

Ca97 on July 1, 2012 at 4:04 AM

rofl..This is getting too easy don’t you think?..:):)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 3:59 AM

what’s getting too easy?

I want in

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:05 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:01 AM

It’s called Federalism. The ability to experiment at the State level. It what Perry championed. The ability to experiment at the State level.

Mitch Daniels experimented with insurance exchanges.

Oregon experimented with reducing the amount of conditions that were covered.

It’s really interesting when you allow States to compete and experiment. Sometimes, lessons are learned.

You have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about when you say that Romney’s experiment in MA was the basis of Obamacare. Not the slightest clue. You haven’t done any research or study of the topic. You just throw out things that the liberal press has fed you. I have family (conservatives, btw) who live in MA and have lived under Romney’s healthcare proscription. And they love it.

John the Libertarian on July 1, 2012 at 4:08 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:01 AM

Romney doesn’t “invent” anything. Romney does his hair in the morning.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:05 AM

Read thru the above posts..It should be easy!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 4:09 AM

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 3:57 AM

Sorry, my comment wasn’t really aimed at you but to the sentiment you expressed. Romney supporters have been calling me a lot worse for months now and now the sentiments of many Romney supporters here truly seem to fit the description. But it’s not aimed at you, it’s a mass psychosis, and hopefully a dwindling one. To phrase my comment with more civility, and in the form of a question, Please explain how it is logical for people who have a negative reaction to the Obamacare ruling to hurry up and run out to vote for the guy that invented it?

Doesn’t that require double-think? There is a contradiction there and it is preventing the majority of Americans’ that don’t like Obama or Romney, that don’t like Democrats or Republicans, from solving Americas problems.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Read thru the above posts..It should be easy!!..:)

Dire Straits on July 1, 2012 at 4:09 AM

darn you!

reading is hard work.

In the meantime I’m in on the joke.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:11 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:10 AM

Romney is a figure head. He didn’t invent anything. He’s a functioning retard.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:15 AM

Romney doesn’t “invent” anything. Romney does his hair in the morning.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:08 AM

No, sorry, it’s not that easy. Romneycare was the first such healthcare plan in American history, and Romney signed it. I never implied that he say down at a drawing board and invented it, he was the CEO. It was the invention of the Romney political machine, GOP think tanks and others others in the Republican establishment.

But Romney was the guy that made it happen in the real world and signed his name to it with a ceremony and a smile, and Obama copied it, making some changes but they’re substantially the same.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:20 AM

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:20 AM

no, sorry, it is that easy.

Romney signed it! What do you expect Mitt to do?

He’s Mitt. He’s the Mittmeister

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Romney was the guy at the top that made Romneycare reality, he was in charge and the buck stops with him, and as the first person in the nation to do it, in a political sense he is the inventor.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:26 AM

Slade
go to bed, your pup ain’t gonna be happy in a few hours when she needs to go out and your still snoring …………..;-)

angrymike on July 1, 2012 at 4:27 AM

Romney signed it! What do you expect Mitt to do?

He’s Mitt. He’s the Mittmeister

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Gary Johnson wouldn’t have signed it, and he was a far more popular and successful governor than Romney ever was.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:28 AM

inventor is a stupid word. maybe that’s my problem.

Mitt Romney is a bobble head pub, he likes appletinis but it’s forbidden.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:30 AM

So we have no choice. I wasn’t fired up about voting for Romney, but I am now.

Ca97 on July 1, 2012 at 4:04 AM

Romney hasn’t yet been nominated. If we can send monkeys to the moon, we can prevent that. We both agree that Romney is a liar, the difference between us on this is that you hope he’s not lying about Repeal and I know he is. There is no chance that Romeny will get through this campaign without having to answer on his shift from Fix to Repeal. And if he’s nominated and only then do voters learn of the cynical game he’s been playing- parsing the meaning of the word “repeal”- then I guarantee there will be no parsing of the word “rebellion”.

It’ll be the biggest train-wreck in history.

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 4:31 AM

@angrymike -

I think my pup will be fine :)

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:33 AM

Romney is a figure head. He didn’t invent anything. He’s a functioning retard.

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:15 AM

No the lowlifes that are ruining our country are not dumb, unfortunately.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:35 AM

Rattans
I’m sorry but you’re wrong, the worst train wreck in history already occupies the Whitehouse……

angrymike on July 1, 2012 at 4:36 AM

Sartana …..that is…….

angrymike on July 1, 2012 at 4:37 AM

Romney signed it! What do you expect Mitt to do?

He’s Mitt. He’s the Mittmeister

Slade73 on July 1, 2012 at 4:25 AM

If Gary Johnson had been governor in Mass instead of Romney, Romneycare never would have come to pass. He wouldn’t even have had to veto it because it probably wouldn’t have come to his desk.

FloatingRock on July 1, 2012 at 4:38 AM

Angrydike-

If you think it can’t possibly get any worse then you’ve been snorting too many bath salts.

sartana on July 1, 2012 at 4:43 AM