Quotes of the Day

posted at 8:30 pm on June 30, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

“(T)he government’s tax power theory is far more radical than the Commerce and Necessary and Proper Clause theory precisely because the Supreme Court has generally deferred to any invocation of the tax power to raise revenue to spend for the general welfare. This normal deference is why the mandate’s defenders shifted the argument from the Commerce Clause to the tax power. Yet if its theory is accepted, Congress would be able to penalize or mandate any activity by anyone in the country, provided it limited the sanction to a fine enforced by the Internal Revenue Service.

This is a congressional power unknown and unheard of before 2010. It would effectively grant Congress a general police power. And we know what existing doctrine says about such a power: ‘The Constitution . . . withhold[s] from Congress a plenary police power that would authorize enactment of every type of legislation.’ Such has been the Supreme Court’s position from the Founding until today.”

***

“My guess is that my constituents would appreciate another vote,” Rep. Jo Ann Emerson (R-Mo.) said.

The House GOP already voted to repeal President Obama’s healthcare overhaul as one of its first acts in 2011. But in the wake of the Supreme Court’s decision to uphold the law, party leaders plan to do so again on July 11.

“Obviously we all understand that it’s a statement of principle and it doesn’t have any chance in the Senate, but I think it’s appropriate,” Rep. Charlie Bass (R-N.H.) said Friday.

***

I’m in the swamp. A line in a bill that says “PPACA is repealed” would have budgetary effects and a CBO score. Over the last two years I’ve talked to plenty of Republicans who have experience with reconciliation, and they do not think this is an impossible mission. CBO, as Lizza notes, has in the past found Obamacare to be a money-saver for the government, but it may not so find it in 2013. Even if it does, a reconciliation bill could just find a small amount of offsetting savings to make a repeal bill deficit-reducing and thus, under the current rules, eligible for reconciliation.

I don’t think Lizza is right about the individual mandate, either, assuming that individual items in Obamacare had to be repealed one by one. The Supreme Court just said the bill has a tax on being uninsured rather than a mandate. Taxes can be changed through reconciliation.

***

Republicans are so upset because one of the basic pillars of the “Obama illegitimacy” canard is that he is operating outside the parameters of the constitution, that he is the point of the shiv aimed at the heart of America.

As the conservative radio host Neal Boortz put it in a Twitter message following the ruling: “I am so sick to death of calling the play-by-play of the destruction of this great country by power-hungry Democrats and the moocher class.”

This ruling has supposedly energized the Republican base. Maybe, but it’s been supporting the repeal of the health care act since it was passed. What’s new? Republicans say that the court called the mandate a tax although Obama had insisted that it wasn’t. True, but I’m not sure that has legs outside the Grover Norquist-no-tax echo chamber.

***
ObamaCare will preclude people from having the health care that they like. We have seen this law increase costs, and we are committed to changing that. We are committed to making sure that we can return to patient-based health care in this country, where we can keep costs low, and we can increase access. And that’s why when we return the week of July 9th, I have scheduled a vote for total repeal of the ObamaCare bill to occur on Wednesday, July 11th.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

And that is all from small donors like you and me.

46,000 of them the last I heard.

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

That’s what makes it so amazing. That’s a lot of people and a crap load of money in less than 72 hours.

Judging by the posts from the Romney campaign on my facebook feed – they got the message behind the donations.

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Pic of the Day: Thanks, Obama.

M2RB: Twisted Sister

AWESOME!!
Need I say, you rock Resist?
I think so!

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Oh, yeah! That’s good news!

INC on June 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

He may be as boring as a piece of stale bread, but I’m very proud of my governor.

Gov. Rick Scott: We are not going to implement Obamacare in Florida

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Walker’s not doing it either. I think Jindal said no way as well.

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

And now, the one man global content provider. :)

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

It’s a Tax but not a TaxTax

Hoopie Goldberg.

SparkPlug on June 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

RETRO:
Please send $$$$$$$$$$$$ to Scott Brown…

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Great picture.

talkingpoints on June 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

From the comments to the CBS story on the wiretap applications:

by BillyBonebrake June 30, 2012 2:39 PM EDT
I wonder who will be the last person to finally accept that Eric Holder has been covering for President Obama in Fast & Furious. Whoever that person is, he will stand as the most willfully ignorant, disingenuous human to walk the face of the earth. My money is on Elijah Cummings.

novaculus on June 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Thanks Flora Duh and GopherGirl for cheering me up.

SparkPlug on June 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

I don’t even have my chores done!

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Sunday is for chores..

After church…
Or course…

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Buddahpundit on June 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 9:42 PM wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 9:45 PM

Well I like a reason to eat popcorn as much as anyone else, and this kind of show does sound entertaining, that said, are we sure it’s not to inside baseball? I hope that people will pay attention but I halfway expect most people to buy into Obamacare now that it has been deemed “constitutional”. Do people really understand about the tax vs. mandate thing until it hits them in the wallet?

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

More likely fired for trashing Politico, he certainly questioned their integrity. Psssst, like they have any.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

after we replace Bev Purdue in Nov .. with McCory … I am not sure his position ..
but i hope he follows suite ….

conservative tarheel on June 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM

A L R E A D Y?
I don’t even have my chores done!

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 9:40 PM

Get up earlier!

Rio Linda Refugee on June 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM

The Supreme Court will betray you.

The Supreme Courte will betray you. For the true cons.

SparkPlug on June 30, 2012 at 9:58 PM

Oh yes I think it does have legs, once it sinks into most of the public’s heads why it was a bad ruling:

As Justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy, Clarence Thomas, and Samuel Alito dissented, and argued that because Congress characterized the payment as a penalty, to instead characterize it as a tax would amount to rewriting the Act, which SCOTUS has no right to do. This is not just a verbal quibble: had the act be described before Congress as imposing a tax it would not have passed. Roberts essentially enacted a law that was not even presented to the court to rule on- a tax law.

This ruling by Roberts is hence just wrong and makes the act pass by a dishonest verbal cheat. Anger will rise over this cheating, this mendacity. I think this cheating aspect needs to be emphasized loudly. Americans do not like to feel they have been swindled by their politicians with help from the Supreme Court.

Chessplayer on June 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM

SparkPlug on June 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

You’re welcome :)

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 9:59 PM

Gov. Rick Scott: We are not going to implement Obamacare in Florida

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM

After Barack Hussein Kardashian, boring is not just good, but great!

And good for Scott and all the others who will do the same, not just because it’s giving the finger to Obama, but because they are protecting their taxpayers down the line when those federal medicaid dollars the states will receive for medicaid expansion today just stop altogether. The states that don’t do what Scott and the others are doing are consigning their taxpayers and the children of same to a financial Armageddon almost, if not worse, than what they will soon be facing on the national level.

Great, Scott!

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 10:00 PM

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM
To my favorite Perry supporter, I hope he does as well.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Gov. Rick Scott: We are not going to implement Obamacare in Florida

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I’d take him in a heartbeat.

Walker’s not doing it either. I think Jindal said no way as well.

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Somewhere today I saw a map of states to move to. As you can guess it largely consisted of the South and Middle Flyover country.

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

And now, the one man global content provider. :)

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM

FRom youe link: “It’s down to the people now — as it should be. But, meanwhile, a little less deference to judges wouldn’t go amiss. The U.S. Supreme Court is starting to look like Britain’s National Health Service — you wait two years to get in, and then they tell you there’s nothing wrong. And you can’t get a second opinion.”

davidk on June 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

I am thinkin’ that the House will want to repeal Waivers immediately..
This will open up Maine’s, McDonalds..etc..eyes pretty quick when their insurance company mails out an informative paper saying.. “Due to the Unaffordable Health-Care Act, your premiums for your current policy will increase…”

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

And that is all from small donors like you and me.

46,000 of them the last I heard.

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

And this is what must be a worry for team BO…… it refutes their cherished belief that we’re all stupid and not paying attention. No one buys our votes with absurd, unrealistic promises or tossing a turkey to the peasants prior to election day.

I want to see the vote in the House 7/11. Name names. Publish them, and hammer the message to the people in their districts.

Get it on Priebus and Romney.

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

novaculus on June 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM

There are relatives in my family, whom I dearly love, who will follow this man off a cliff.

esr1951 on June 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

To my favorite Perry supporter, I hope he does as well.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM

Ahh thank you :)

I’m sure he will and I’m sure he’ll do it with style!

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 10:04 PM

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM

Thanks.

Axe, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Steyn. I would NEVER put myself anywhere near his level, but sometimes when I am talking or writing, I catch myself and think “If I keep this up, I’m going to need to figure out how to grow a beard and chest hair.”

He’s emailed me a couple of times with some very nice words about a few pieces that I had written. While he’s actually a Canuck, he understands my twisted sense of humour.

When I grow up, I want to be Mark Steyn.

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:02 PM

How many states participated in the lawsuit? 26? 29?

Those states are all a given.

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

Gov. Rick Scott: We are not going to implement Obamacare in Florida

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM

Boring? Not at all.

Integrity and intelligence does it for me.

Jindal for Veep! No more unicorns. No more ‘pretty faces’. No more skittles.

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

In an election, where you’re trying to gin up the naturally and fiscally conservative independents out there, after the vote on repealing this “tax” and your making known via ads and word of mouth, it will have a major impact. Bottom line, CM, one can talk about how bad ObamaCare is from the health policy standpoint all day long, but the tax nail is so much easier to hammer, whether it’s hitting them in the wallet today or years from now. There’s not a person in this country, even the moochers, who when asked, “Are your taxes fair?” will say yes.

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Oh, yeah! That’s good news!

INC on June 30, 2012 at 9:52 PM

You don’t think Alex Sink would have done the same?

;-)

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

I think ObamaTax is done. The original plan was to guarantee membership. States can opt out and still get their constituents to sign up for the federal exchange if they want health insurance via ObamaTax. Otherwise, there is no penalty. And the state doesn’t have to put up the original 10% (which goes up after a few years) of the costs.

So without a guarantee, younger people (regardless if Dems or GOP) simply won’t sign up for healthcare. They just won’t do it. Without a pool of young, low risk members, the insurance companies won’t be able to justify it.

And to think that they’ve bamboozled the liberals to think that they wanted people who aren’t insured as a goodwill gesture toward humanity when in fact it is nothing more than a cost offset tactic.

MrX on June 30, 2012 at 10:10 PM

davidk on June 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Over there I did, motivated having. :)

English barely.

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

esr1951 on June 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Well, personally, I don’t think Elijah is willfully ignorant. He isn’t stupid. He is corrupt, he is a liar and a charlatan.

novaculus on June 30, 2012 at 10:11 PM

The House GOP leadershit are nothing but backstabbing, French, surrender-monkeys. They were supposed to rid us of ObamaCare back in 2011. That’s why they were put back in power by the Tea Party. That was their mandate … or “tax”, as Benedict Roberts would say.

THey went through one debt limit “negotiation” after another and never ONCE said that ObamaCare has to be repealed in exchange for lifting the debt limit. Not a once. They never even uttered such a peep. They never did ANYTHING that showed that they understood what their f#@king job was and to even acknowledge (aside form votes and popularity) how important it was to rid America of that fetid piece of criminal legislation. But … they raised the debt limit time and again (in exchange for NOTHING, save a hacking to death of the defense budget for their last act…).

These people are spineless worms. Unbelievable. THeir only saving grace is that the America-hating, nihilist lunatic dems are looking to reduce all of the Earth back to nothing but single-celled slime as an act of professional courtesy.

It’s time for this nation to split. The left cannot be lived with. No way, no how. THey have turned this nation into the AMerican Socialist Superstate, which is what they want. Good for them. They can have it. I have no desire to live in such a disgusting, despicable place. I will live in the Constitutional Union of American States, which will be carved out of the vast areas of this still barely breathing nation that wish to carry on the American creed, not the Soviet.

It’s coming. There is no alternative left to us.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

I’ve been trying to get a handle on those all days. Do they need to be repealed or do they fall because of the tax designation? I guess the House could vote on it for good measure but it would be nothing short of a miracle to be voted on in the Senate.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

When I grow up, I want to be Mark Steyn.

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

My favorite “undocumented” EIB guest host. : )

listens2glenn on June 30, 2012 at 10:14 PM

No more ‘pretty faces’.

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM

Since becoming governor, Rick Scott has been accused of a lot of things. Having a “pretty face” has never been among them. :-)

I would like to see what he looked like with hair though.

And I appreciate his quiet but determined style. What I meant by “boring” is as opposed to a governor like Chris Cristie, who is loud and determined.

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

How are they supposed to get rid of ObamaTaxCare all by themselves?

There is a pesky little thing in their way called the Senate.

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

davidk on June 30, 2012 at 10:03 PM

He has such a way with words that cuts to the quick and what he says is 100% true. I grew up with the NHS and the Progs here are living in My Progressive Little Ponyland if they think single-payer is anything other than sub-standard healthcare.

I wish that the Left would pay attention to what he says, but I don’t think that they understand that he is making critical points wrapped up in humour that is incomprehensible to them.

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Maybe but there are plenty of them who think that others don’t pay enough.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

How many states participated in the lawsuit? 26? 29?

Those states are all a given.

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 10:07 PM

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Evenin’ Peeps.
Life sucks.
Carry on.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

It’s time to revive,, “don’t tax me, bro!”.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

LOL! He’s kinda cute and so far so good.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I hope you are talking about Obama and politicians in general and not your own life.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

Skipping past the other weirdness in what you said — which is a sore trial — this is pretty cool, yeah? :)

*pokes Resist’s arm*

*finger sizzles*

Ah. Steyn.

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

How are they supposed to get rid of ObamaTaxCare all by themselves?

There is a pesky little thing in their way called the Senate.

gophergirl on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Read my whole comment. By way of what the dems would have had to do to get their precious debt limit increases. That was about the only real opportunity to do it. But the Crybaby Boner gave away all those debt limit increases for NOTHING. NOTHING. He even signed away a destruction of the Defense budget in the last one.

This ain’t rocket science. Heck, it ain’t even model rocket science.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM

It’s coming. There is no alternative left to us.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

I agree. People who want to be free and people who want to be slaves.

Mirimichi on June 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM

According to the CBO, 75% of those that will be hit by the “tax” are those whose taxes Obama promised — repeatedly — not to raise.

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:19 PM

It’s coming. There is no alternative left to us.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 30, 2012 at 10:12 PM

To save white space…I posted your last sentence..

Congress is split…best we could do in 2010.

What do you expect the Republicans to do?

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Counting the separate lawsuits filed by Virginia and (in the near future) Oklahoma, there is now a total of 28 states suing the federal government over this issue. I recently discussed the legal and political implications of the states’ stance here.

Link

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 10:23 PM

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Both. I got sent home from work yesterday about 4 hours early-after I complained of spiking bp and dizziness. Management took one look at me and wouldn’t even let me punch myself out. spawn drove me home. It took 4 bottles of water, 2 aspirin, and an extra bp med to bring it down. I called off work today and googled women’s heart attack symptoms. There were six listed…I had four of them.
Too much distance walking in high heat, too little sleep, and Mickey D’s don’t mix.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Ha!

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:25 PM

Maybe but there are plenty of them who think that others don’t pay enough.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Yes, but the ObamaTax is going to hit the paupers and the princes at the same amount, a point that can be driven home after this House vote. Have you been hanging out with AP and become an eeyorette?

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 10:26 PM

Why don’t they just tax 100% of our income and get over with? From what I’ve seen, we wouldn’t do a damn thing about…maybe just grumble a little.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

When I grow up, I want to be Mark Steyn.

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:06 PM

This is excellent. IMHO, it’s worth a lot.

Steyn is one of my heroes, and there are few. I identify with his concern and disappoint about the direction this country has taken; he as a naturalized citizen and myself as someone who took so much for granted and now feels to be a stranger in a foreign land.

He’s one of the few people who, if we ever met, would cause me to make an utter fool of myself. But he’s also one of the few people who can make me laugh. During these trying times it has been a gift for which I am grateful.

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

What do you expect the Republicans to do?

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

Now? Not much. The opportunities were all squandered. They squandered them on purpose. There is another debt limit increase coming, though. It will be a little too late, but they have the job they were assigned and mandated to do in 2010, still. That debt limit increase and anything else that is deemed necessary to the left has to have ObamaCare repeal conditioned on it. That’s about all they can do. But, they won’t even try.

I’d like Mittens not to open his fat, stupid mouth about preserving “no pre-existing conditions” for health insurance (which is the dumbest idea on Earth) and to start talking about the need to repeal all of ObamaCare and not worry about any replacement, at all. Nothing. None. Nada.

And Mittens ought to act as if he understands that we now live in the American Socialist Superstate with no law and the Rule of Empathy.

Little things like that would help.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 30, 2012 at 10:28 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

Damn, lady, take care of yourself. You’re too young for those things. God bless you.

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I don’t know who does this one:

This is official:

© 2010 Office of the Attorney General of Florida

Neither has a post up on reaction to the SCOTUS ruling.

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I was VERY honoured. He is my absolute favourite political/social writer. I think that he is probably the only author/celebrity/whatever that I would actually make an effort to go hear speak, sign books, etc.

I laugh aloud reading him while wanting to cry at the truth in the catastrophe he is describing. There’s a certain “gallow’s humour” to his writing…and I have always LOVED that and have been long guilty of making humourour-bordering-on-inappropriate jokes/comments in really serious situations. My mum would always invite a lot of people to the country at the week-end and the odds were usually 50/50 that I’d say something at dinner that would either bring the conversation to a screeching halt or shake the hall with uproarious laughter.

Fortunately, I’m not the only one like this in my family so I have yet to become the black sheep. A few years back, several of my friends came to the funeral of my great-grandfather. To this day, they bring it up constantly. They’d never seen anything like it.

Hey, I’m thinking of starting an American-version of the Official Raving Loony Monster Party (it’s a British political party)? Wanna join? lol

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

LOL! He’s kinda cute and so far so good.

Cindy Munford on June 30, 2012 at 10:16 PM

I would like to see what he looked like with hair though.

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

bada boom, bada BING

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 10:30 PM

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 10:29 PM

I’m calling my PcP on Monday. Yesterday was a perfect storm. If I get those symps again-I’m going to ER.

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I’m sure it’s already been stated, but ref

invocation of the tax power to raise revenue to spend for the general welfare.

They never invoked tax power.

LtGenRob on June 30, 2012 at 10:32 PM

Malta

John Roberts dropped a clue to his motivations for anyone who cares to see.

Malta is where Roberts joked about retreating to after he released his ruling. He’ll be teaching a two-week course their later this summer.

What fist comes to mind at the mention of Malta is of course the Knights of Malta- which were originally known as…

the Knights Hospitaller!

Also known as the Knights of St. John.

They were originally founded as a monastic order providing medical care to Christian pilgrims in teh wake of the First Crusade, but eventually morphed into an order of fighting knights such as the Templars.

Anyone who’s read their fair share of history knows significance of these orders in occult history.

What Roberts left us is a clear as day clue that he and the entire ruling elites of the Western World, but I think particularly countries that were former colonies of the British Empire, are in the service of the Luciferian Globalist Elite.

’nuff said.

sartana on June 30, 2012 at 10:34 PM

I know it is a little early for music, but I wondered if anyone has linked this one yet:

The Star-Spangled Banner

I like it. Hope it cheers some folks up.

novaculus on June 30, 2012 at 10:36 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

That’s awful. You really have to watch the heat.

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Strategically, I think Romney sometime in the very near future has a legal team draft the Repeal Obamacare language and document. He then runs an ad in every swing state at least once a week with the “days remaining” until Jan 20th, 2013. The only image that appears in the ad is the Repeal Obamacare document with a camera zooming in on the signature line.

hillsoftx on June 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

In Nineteen Eighty Four, the idea that the unwashed mass isn’t an issue, since they will never up-rise, is an idea that I’ve argued with for a while in my brain-thing. The idea that people would just go along if they were air-conditioned and fed, and could have sex and maybe do some drugs … I’ve always argued these things are insufficient to satisfy a human being, to content people, and argued that it breaks the story. It’s the same reason I can’t enjoy the Sims … dumb posing as smart, like prime-time TV.

But there’s obviously truth to it, somehow. Maybe people will take the easy path because it’s the easy path, content or not? Maybe all you would need to do beyond that — air condition them, feed them — to keep them where you want them, is keep them busy.

Not sure about these things.

But, I still think many people are willing to do the work when they know what work they can do. In our situation, it isn’t clear (corporately) what to do. Yeah, we voted Obama out — now, how do we fix this big problem? That kind of thing.

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Politico fires Joe Williams for trashing Mitt Romney

Yay!

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Can we (all) fire Cher now?

Khun Joe on June 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM

More lawsuits:

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:37 PM

Good grief………from you link………

One active provision, for instance, prohibits physician-owned hospitals from billing Medicare for self-referrals if the hospital expands. This cramps the intentions of the 20-bed Texas Spine and Joint Hospital in the town of Tyler, one of roughly 300 physician-owned hospitals in the country. The Texas hospital administrators hope to expand, but the health care law holds them back.

“Its sole rationale is to prohibit a class of U.S. citizens, physicians, from owning a legal business for the improper purpose of protecting non-physicians-owned hospitals from competition,” Houston-based attorney Lindsey Birdsong argued, in a lawsuit filed on behalf of the hospital in Tyler and the Physician Hospitals of America.

We have to pass the bill to find out what’s in the bill.

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 10:15 PM

I know what you meant, and I concur.

Unlike the typical Dem voter, I’m looking for intelligence, competence and integrity. Bright, shiny objects that one picks up off the floor don’t interest me. Celebrity is of no interest.

When I look at politicians, I consider myself to be an employer. All I want is someone to roll up their sleeves and do their job.

Christie isn’t my style, but that isn’t a criticism.

Quiet competence is what I like. Cheney. Yep. I love Dick Cheney. The added joy with Cheney is that he can eviscerate MSM reporters with very few words in an interview.

Yeah, smart guys! I really hope Romney chooses Jindal for his Veep.

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 10:46 PM
+100

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM

We have to pass the bill to find out what’s in the bill.

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

It’s unbelievable how horrific it is.

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 10:27 PM

+1000

(I think that he is still a Canadian citizen though. :-))

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Just wanted to remind everyone, don’t forget to support the senators.

The following are the best chance to pick up seats…

1. Mark Newmann (Wisconsin)
2. Danny Rehberg (Montana)
3. Rick Burg (North Dakota)
4. George Allan (Virginia)
5. Connie Mack (Florida)
6. Sarah Steelman (Missouri)
7. John Raese (West Virginia)
8. Josh Mandel (Ohio)
9. Deb Fischer (Nebraska)
10. Heather Wilson (New Mexico)

Scott Brown MA and Dean Hellar NV are in danger of losing their seats so help them out too.

My 2 Senators are not up for election so I am supporting Connie Mack and Scott Brown all I can.

I know, Scott Brown is sqiushy but think abouut having Paleface Warren (Obama 2.0)!!!!!!!! Makes me sick just to think it.

Sorry for long post….

Barred on June 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Let the GOP Congress do what they want.

What Roberts did, what we’re going to be hearing for the month of July is how 0Care is now identical to RomneyCare.

And Roberts has made it a damn harder argument to defeat.

Mitt referred to taxes, tax return holdings, numerous times for RomneyCare, even into 2009. It really comes down to a guy named Gruber who worked on both 0Care and RomneyCare. He’s now seriously going to F this argument up, dramatically.

Romney, personally, has a very complicated argument to make or else he will sound like he voted for it before he was against it.

He’s going to have to start with a state’s rights argument, then use the Medicare aspect of the ruling to show how 0 does not respect state’s rights, along with other issues like Arizona.

July is shaping up to be a b-i-tch of a month, so prepare yourself.

budfox on June 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

<blockquote>We have to pass the bill and then wait until Shrub’s Warren, er, Chief Justice John Roberts uses his legal divining rod to find out not only what’s in the bill, but what will be in the final version of Obamacare.

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 10:44 PM

FIFY

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:56 PM

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Well said…I feel like I’m just being swept along with the herd into the pens.

Most people I talk to know little to nothing about current politics, and I’m not talking about the intricate details, just what I’d consider to be common knowledge. They aren’t all Libs…they simply don’t care and are content just to move along with wherever the current takes them. They think everything’s going to be just fine, that the pendulum will swing back and so on.

Maybe they are afraid?

I don’t expect these politicians to do all the the things I want them to do all the time, but this is getting ridiculous. Their criminality and trashing of the Constitution seems to be accelerating.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 10:41 PM

For one thing pay attention to who the best people are running for Congress, and insist they dump this nightmare.

Here are some of the links I’ve been collecting. Some of the info may be known here, but they’ve all been written over the last couple of days.

What’s Wrong With ObamaCare? Here’s A Partial List

Obamacare’s Hidden Taxes

SCOTUS Ruling Means Bigger, More Intrusive IRS

IRS officials on background tell FOX Business the U.S. Supreme Court ruling on health reform gives the IRS even more powers than previously understood….

Use the info w/friends and neighbors, and your Congress people. Especially the last one on the IRS.

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Sorry for long post….

Barred on June 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Excellent information, I just copied it to Word on my machine.

Thank you for your efforts.

JPeterman on June 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I am watching the cheesiest program on tv – The Miss Virginia Pageant (for Miss America). Everything seems so, so amateur. Congratulations Rosemary Willis, Miss Roanoke Valley (VA). She just won. What else is on tv? Nothing.

ExpressoBold on June 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Sorry for long post….

Barred on June 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Please consider Dave Weldon for FL. He’s a late comer to the FL primary against Connie Mack. The Macks are a long time political dynasty with roots back to Texas politics. I don’t expect anything but frustration from Mack if he’s elected.

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:48 PM

ANLT, I read your post earlier about dealing with the heat. It’s unbearable here, and the forecast for temps over 100 degrees extends well into next week. Not sure when it will end, but do take care of yourself.

I really don’t like being indoors during the summer, but this is oppressive – no breeze, not much cooling at night.

The upside is that I can justify hanging out here for a change.

Be well.

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Can we (all) fire Cher now?

Khun Joe on June 30, 2012 at 10:43 PM

I think that happen…years ago…not long after she wore that Bob Mackie sheer catsuit and feathered headress to pick up her Oscar.

She is reduced to ranting with a 140 character maximum.

‘Nite all.

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

I should add the only other argument Mitt can make is repeal must happen, because the bill is a Frankenstein that cannot support itself and will collapse in two years or expand and devour the entire health-care industry into single-payer.

I’m beginning to wonder if Romney is going to have to invert the argument; accept the role as godfather of state healthcare as a way to legitimize himself instantly on the subject so he can explain 0Care’s future.

So, instead of denying it, accept the premise and flip it back.

In other words, how can Barry continually give Romney credit for 0Care, but then claim he has no knowledge on the subject. After a summer of “it’s a tax penalty, but not a tax”, people are going to think 0 is habitual or cracking up.

budfox on June 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Looked up the word tax in Webster’s Unabridged and it would appear that Obamatax is a tax and also, looking at the Constitution, it does appear Congress can lay coercive taxes:

tax: a usually pecuniary charge imposed by legislative or other public authority upon persons or property for public purposes

The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

The taxes need not be uniform, only the duties, imposts and excises. And taxes need not be made upon a transaction, they need simply be assessed for a public purpose. I suppose then, that Roberts decision hasn’t really expanded the taxing power, because it would appear to it was always unlimited. Nevertheless, Roberts made a mockery of himself by creating the Schrodinger tax. If his tax opinion is correct, then the certiorari was improvidently granted and it would be inappropriate to rule on the case until a tax has been assessed.

Also, from the definition, “usually pecuniary” means that it need not even be pecuniary. It could be real or personal property. An amendment is obviously needed to correct this oversight.

andy85719 on June 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Don’t play in the heat, twerp. I had the same thing happen. Thursday. I felt bad. I’m only 43. Took a double dose of bp med. It helped, but not as much as the a/c did. I could barely drive myself home. I couldn’t think straight and my head was spinning. I did 30 mph all the way home. And then puked my guts out.

Don’t mess around in the heat. I work outside in the desert, profound respect for what it does to the body.

Take care of yourself. Walk twice as much in the fall.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM

‘Nite all.

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 11:00 PM

Night official raving loony monster. :)

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 11:02 PM

GOP governors can kill Obamacare. Put their feet to the fire.

Charlemagne on June 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM

People have a visceral reaction against the IRS. The FOX Business link I gave above goes over their massive expansion.

Even if they’re apolitical, the impact on their income should make people take notice.

andy85719 on June 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Yeah, it’s not ObamaCare. It’s the ObamaTax Act.

INC on June 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 30, 2012 at 10:57 PM

We can thank our so called media for most of that. They try to turn everything into a popularity contest or the political version of American Idol and in so doing neglect to report the facts of an issue.

They “trashed” the Tea Party during the summer of 2010 and we saw how that worked out for them. I’m interested to see if they use the same tactic this summer, or simply ignore them.

Flora Duh on June 30, 2012 at 11:06 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on June 30, 2012 at 10:24 PM

1. Wear a sun hat to keep the sun off your head. A wet hat will cool you as it dries.
2. Drink Gatoraide while walking. It’s better than water.
3. Put Banana Boat Aloe Vera Gel on your arms and forehead. It will help you stay cool by putting a protective barrier against drying out your skin.

SparkPlug on June 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

INC on June 30, 2012 at 10:59 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

I will check him out. I just heard that Connie Mack was the sure winner and just wanted to make sure a R wins the seat. Will support anyone of them that wins the primary.

Thanks for the info.

Barred on June 30, 2012 at 11:07 PM

andy85719 on June 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM

According to Madison the taxing power was limited to raising taxes to pay for Congress’ enumerated powers. For example, raising taxes to pay for national defense.

Congress doesn’t have the ability to collect taxes for non-enumerated purposes. If they could, why have enumerated powers?

Charlemagne on June 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Not for nothin. All these people screaming “Vote the bums out”… What was being said right after Roe v. Wade?

LtGenRob on June 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Resist We Much on June 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM

Perhaps he has dual citizenship? Not sure what our agreement is with Canada. However, he has written about the lengthy and costly process of becoming a naturalized US citizen – particularly with respect to illegal immigration issues.

Regardless, he is remarkable. To my way of thinking he is the master of intellectual wit and snark – without malice but much humor. I have not yet found anyone who comes close to his style.

Cody1991 on June 30, 2012 at 11:08 PM

I’m following Resist out. I’m going to go fiddle with my S10 and listen to Axl Rose and sip a beer and give the teens in my neighborhood something to laugh at.

If I have any beer. Haven’t had one this year, so … odds are about 50/50. It might be a Dr. Pepper. I’m sipping something, by Addams.

Stay safe!

*carrying too much worry, twerp? Drop everything out of your control. You stay safe too. :)

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM