Quotes of the day

posted at 8:53 pm on June 29, 2012 by Allahpundit

However painful it was to read the headline “Obamacare Stands” on Drudge yesterday, Chief Justice Roberts made the right call.

Roberts’s opinion, far from being an act of cowardice or betrayal, is true to the tradition of the early Republic, when the Supreme Court exercised the power of judicial review to strike down federal statutes only very rarely…

There is a larger point. If the only way Americans can defend their liberties is to hide behind the verbiage of a Supreme Court opinion, it’s already too late for freedom here.

***

Conservatives who are trying to salvage a little “hope and change” from Chief Justice John Roberts’s disastrous ruling in the Obamacare case yesterday argue that the limits the Court placed on the Commerce Clause and the power of the federal government vis à vis the states are victories for conservatives in the long run. But in this case, the short run is the long run: Obamacare will change our society forever–and not for the better.

Liberals are celebrating, not just because Barack Obama’s presidency is no longer just a waste of time, but also because they believe that people will never reject entitlements once they have them. Evidence from around the world proves them right.

***

This country is hopelessly split along ideological lines, and it seems impossible for either side to gain any lasting advantage over the other. But maybe Roberts has managed to do precisely that. By nominally endorsing an overwhelmingly unpopular bill that is in major trouble anyway, he has created the political space needed to strike directly at the heart of liberal legal theory without inflaming the Democrats.

This, by the way, is exactly what the Warren Court of the 1950s and 1960s failed to do. Insufficiently concerned about political fallout, the liberals on that court plunged ahead with leftist policymaking from the bench. As a consequence, conservatives grew acutely aware of the dangers inherent to liberal judicial activism, organized politically to fight back, and thus was ultimately born the Rehnquist Court, which rolled back many of the excesses of the Warren years.

But how do conservatives continue their judicial project without similarly inflamming the left and stalling their own agenda in its tracks? Well, just maybe Chief Justice John Roberts showed the way yesterday. It’s all about taking opportunities as they present themselves, not over-reaching, and playing the long game.

***

[I]f the underlying mandate is otherwise unconstitutional, as Roberts concluded, how does adding a penalty make it okay? Under this precedent, Congress could theoretically mandate anything it wants and slap on a nominal penalty and defend it in Court as a tax after the fact. To use a popular example, the government can now still force you to purchase broccoli, as long as the punishment is a fine rather than imprisonment…

In a broader sense, this case was testing the assumption that the Supreme Court would never invalidate a major act of Congress. Even if Roberts had only agreed to strike down the mandate, it would have sent a powerful message that the Supreme Court is willing to protect the Constitution from further encroachments. But I fear when all is said and done, after this case, future lawmakers will still feel confident in the assumption that they can pass whatever they want, and if the legislation is major enough, the Supreme Court will find some sort of excuse to uphold it.

***

Some will suggest that this is no victory at all, given the Court’s ruling that the money one must pay for failing to obtain insurance can be supported as a use of Congress’s taxing power. However, by confining within the taxing power the ability of Congress to adopt such schemes, the Court has greatly limited Congress’s ability and political appetite to attempt them in the future…

Another thing to note is that Chief Justice Roberts’s opinion on the taxing power is limited. He noted that it could not be considered punitive because the amount citizens are required to pay for not having insurance is far less than they would have to pay to obtain insurance. He strongly suggests that, if Congress were to require citizens to pay an amount greater than the costs of insurance, that would constitute a penalty, and thus would be unconstitutional.

***

I would find this perspective [that Roberts's opinion was a victory for smaller government] considerably more persuasive if I could envision how, exactly, this war of “slow constriction” is supposed to play out. Does anyone really believe that a Roberts-led Court is likely to revisit the constitutionality of the major post-New Deal social programs? That it’s going to overturn child labor laws and minimum wage laws, or shutter regulatory agencies? Whatever precedent was set yesterday, that kind of genuine counter-revolution seems highly unlikely…

In an intellectual sense, the logic of the health care mandate may indeed have been “pregnant with rampant statism,” as Will puts it. But in terms of practical politics, the health care bill was itself the most statist act that’s likely to pass Congress over the next decade at least, and maybe in John Roberts’ lifetime. And by upholding it, Roberts handed liberals a victory in the scope-of-government war that matters most to them, while at worst setting them up to lose some less important skirmishes somewhere down the road.

***

In his remarkable health care opinion Thursday, the chief justice of the Supreme Court restrained the power of his own institution. He decided not to use judicial power to overrule the democratic process. He decided not to provoke a potential institutional crisis. Granted, he had to imagine a law slightly different than the one that was passed in order to get the result he wanted, but Roberts’s decision still represents a moment of, if I can say so, Burkean minimalism and self-control…

And here’s the biggest gift that Roberts gave to the nation: By restraining the power of the court to shape health care policy, he opened up space for the rest of us to shape that policy through the political process. By modestly refraining from rewriting health care laws himself, he has given voters and politicians more room to be audacious.

***

What did Roberts get? Institutional respect for the Court from people who have no respect for the Courts unless they win? That’s not a prize one can count on to last long. If you think liberals we say, “we’ll let it slide next time we lose a 5-4 decision and promise to never again push the boundaries of the Commerce Clause because Roberts gave us ObamaCare” you’ve missed the last 80 or 90 years of liberalism and the courts. Maybe I missed something but the New Deal and Warren courts* were happy to overturn decades and decades of law and never felt the need to “throw a bone” to conservatives (or people who thought the words of the Constitution had some set meanings).

In fact, Roberts has actually lost something very important (if this theory is right)…he’s shown that with enough bullying and threats against the legitimacy of his Court, he’ll give in.

***

There are probably five votes to uproot the entire campaign finance system, a decision that would make Citizens United look like small fry. And there are probably five votes to invalidate Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act.

I don’t think invalidating the ACA would have affected the court’s legitimacy that much, at least outside of liberals in the legal academy. But taken as a whole, this series of decisions really might have irrevocably hurt the court’s reputation for independence.

But Roberts has something of an ace up his sleeve now. Accusations of hyper-partisanship are much harder to make against him, and he has more freedom to move on these issues.

All told, it is easier for the conservative wing of the court to make some significant rulings in some other policy areas.

***

I don’t know what’s in Roberts’s heart, but no court watcher I’ve heard from puts much weight on the idea that Roberts did anything other than reason backward from the result he wanted in order to buy respect from the court’s critics at the expense of his own beliefs…

That so few people seem to care augurs poorly for the rule of law and the auspices of our republic.

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6 7

Well said. I would like to shake your hand some day, Sir/Madam.

JPeterman on June 29, 2012 at 11:56 PM

Not a Madam, but have known a few of their employees in my time. ;-)

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 12:13 AM

cipher is a noun Jamie

Slade73 on June 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Then you could say something isn’t really a tax, and then call it legal because it is a tax.

Give me a break.

xblade on June 29, 2012 at 11:41 PM

That’s exactly what Roberts took away from the democrats – the ability to claim it one thing, or another – depending on what they wanted it to mean. It really was a paradigm shift that the dems are ultimately not going to like at all.

Harbingeing on June 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM

I got the 512, the “cheap” one.

I’m seriously jealous. I don’t have a stable table in my backyard. Wish I did.

Those 512′s are good. First time in my life I can shoot with both eyes open really well. Parallax is completely removed. It’s a periphial vision tactical wet dream. Well worth $420. I only need it for under 200 yards. Anything over that and I swich to the scoped out 20″ heavy barrel. It takes about 30 seconds to switch out an upper.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM

And I would tell you, never let evil go any further when you have the ability to destroy it.
The consequences can be catastrophic.

Speakup on June 29, 2012 at 11:52 PM

+1000 This. In spades. … and that has been the case with this abominable bill from the get-go.

Should have been dead in the Senate, then one of the Maine Sisters “felt the call of history”, and instead of visiting the loo, answered the @#$% call and it survived committee. It was dead in the House and Senate and some @#$% resuscitated it. Should have been dead again and we got the Cornhusker kickback, the Louisiana Purchase and other nefarious deals. Just when we thought it was dead, the “principled and moral” Bart Stupak and his merry band of “pro-life, no really” demorats signed off on a meaningless executive order to ban funding abortions with ObamaTax and it was resuscitated again. Should have died with the filibuster, but more skulduggery and a shell bill and viola! it was passed by “reconciliation”

Now, the chance to drive a stake through its heart and the spineless rat-@#@$% in the Supreme Court flinched. Now we have to win the Senate, the Presidency and repeal the @#$%.

/yeah, I’m pissed

AZfederalist on June 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

cipher is a noun Jamie

Slade73 on June 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn’t.

jaime on June 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

Cipher is also a verb, isn’t it?

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

How does that work? Can you cipher it for us?

jaime on June 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

..OUCH! Jaime, you are extremely skillful in wielding that scalpel — a regular Zatoichi! Well played.

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I can find ways to reduce what I buy and how I buy it. I will not contribute one more dime than is necessary to this administration.

Bishop on June 29, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Made my day. You join Resist We Much, myself and others in starving the beast. It’s the ultimate way to punish the leftist looters and in turn the moochers.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

The GOP will betray you!..:)
The GOPe will betray you..For the true cons!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Cipher is also a verb, isn’t it?

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

..it is.

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:19 AM

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

;)

jaime on June 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM

Bizarro- explain to me how one justices opinion with dissent limits by law the commerce clause?

I doesn’t. It’ constrains it not one iota.

You are making a false claim. They didn’t even vote on that. Ginsburg wrote a dissent on precisely that.

The commerce clause stands as strong as it did on Wednesday. It just has more daylight shining on it. Roberts ruling means nothing to the commerce clause whatsoever.not a damned thing.

Pity,, actually a freaking full out crawl up in a ball and weep kinda moment. I prefered Scaliia’s hey let’s burn down Wickard vs Fillburn take on things.

Don’tcha agree???

wolly4321 on June 29, 2012 at 11:46 PM

lol nope! :)

I can’t give as full of an answer here as I’d like right now, but I’ll give a superficial start. Quick thoughts/reminders/points to ponder:

1) there is more than one way to skin a cat e.g. Walker’s position on PSUs was less pure than Kasich’s, but it was far more effective – do you believe reasonable people can disagree on their differing approaches?

2) it’s presumptuous to proclaim as fact that cowardice was an important factor in Roberts’ decision

3) Roberts’ said that using the CC to cover for 0bamaCare was not Constitutional – with that in mind, ask yourself, on what basis then, exactly, did the 5-4 vote find 0bamaCare to be Constitutional?

4) is it not true that 0bamaCare is a now legally considered to be a tax?

5) by declaring 0bamaCare’s mandate a tax, is it not now easier to rescind it?

Bizarro No. 1 on June 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Before I leave….

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

And then start to think rationally about the implication of it is ALL A TAX.

Yep, it is ALL A TAX…..a tax that is most likely here for the rest of yours and my life. The implications of paying the obamacare tax under a republican administration are going to suck as much as it will under a democrat administration.

Maybe you should think about the implications of Obamacare now being the law of the land with the slimmest of chances of it ever going away.

xblade on June 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

I want a goddam bloodbath in 2012 that’ll make 2010 look like — well — a tea party.

The War Planner on June 29, 2012 at 11:53 PM

It’s brewing to be one, like none ever before. Those who celebrated yesterday will cry hysterically. See Pelosi.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

It will be the happiest hang-over I will have ever had!

:-D

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:10 AM

LOL! Come that day, I will break my general abstinence too.

Here’s a thought …

QOTD Virtual Party on November 6th

We’ll drink to our success, post tunes, and pass out at our keyboards!

EVERYONE is invited … ESPECIALLY all the trolls, mobys and tantrum voters who will be lachymorose.

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

/yeah, I’m pissed

AZfederalist on June 30, 2012 at 12:16 AM

..nurture your anger, feed it, make it drive you to campaign for the candidates you want, and then take it with you to the voting booth and unleash it!

NOVEMBER 6TH: OUR TURN!

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Before I leave….

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Nice tune!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Dire! what’s happening mt friend? This applies to many things!

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

QOTD Virtual Party on November 6th

We’ll drink to our success, post tunes, and pass out at our keyboards!

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

..I’m there and I’m buying, my brother!

(Good word: lachrymose. Thanks for that!)

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2012 at 12:05 AM
I for one don’t think you will not be at the barricades. You prove it here all the time, so I hope you don’t feel that from me. I am not trying to negate what happened yesterday, but we have little time til November and this court case will be analyzed for years. We have to fight on the battlefield as it is now so we can win in November. Nothing else matters. Let the liberals think they have won so they can be complacent.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Nice tune!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

..evening Mark!

:-D

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:22 AM

Sounds like a plan!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Are you near the border AZfed? Just curious. Tucson, here. It’s good to know there are some like minded folks here.

Salute.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

AAAHHH!!!!(primal scream). I just read 2 1/2 pages of comments and got barraged with nothing but complaining and whining. SNAP OUT OF IT! (accompanied by a “Moonstruck” slap) What the hell does it matter at this point why Roberts ruled the way he did. It. Is. Done. Accept what you can’t change, lick your wounds and move on. The greatest country in the history of the world is at stake. When I think of those that gave their very life for it, it is a trivial matter for me to get out of my own way and get back in the game. Yeah, we got kicked in the teeth and knocked to the bottom of the hill…but my toothless self is on my feet and climbing back up again. There’s no crying in baseball and there’s no crying in this fight either. I don’t know who the said it, but I remember reading/hearing somewhere… that it’s better to be defeated by the sword of your enemy than by your own. Yep, we could lose in the end. But as God as my witness, it won’t be without a helluva fight from me.

lynncgb on June 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

… so, what would you do?

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Nice tune!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Sssshhh.

I can’t be talking to you;……
Wife has me on ……

well

Nevermind..

Tomrorrow….:)

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:24 AM

I agree..It pays to be moving..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM

It had occurred to me early on that Øbamacare was a tax but I didn’t think much of that early thought. That which we call a tax by any other name would smell as bad.

I DID think that Ø-care would be struck down. What do I know.

Mojave Mark on June 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Good evening sir!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I got the 512, the “cheap” one.

I’m seriously jealous. I don’t have a stable table in my backyard. Wish I did.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 12:14 AM

There is nothing cheap about the 512. It does functionally 95% of what an EXPS 3-0 does at an excellent value point.

Best decision we have made in our entire lives was to move out of the city and build out in the country.

The neighbors have been known to flinch if we use too big of a reactive target though. ;)

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

There’s no crying in baseball and there’s no crying in this fight either.

lynncgb on June 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

..marvelous sentiments and a noble rant, lynn. However those who believes there’s no crying in baseball has never seen my little league coach when I pitched a game.

;-)

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:31 AM

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Of course I’ll be there. If for nothing else, to meet The War Planner in person. I’ll buy him a drink after.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I agree..It pays to be moving..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM

although,this does apply to the TFGP, and to add this, also applies :)

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 12:29 AM

Later..Enjoyed it!..:)

PS..Vote for Gary Johnson!!..(do i have to really insert sarc tag)!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

does no one see this? If we legalize pot, does the SoCon crowd stage an exodus to the left? I don’t think so. Do we gain every college aged to 30 yr old voter on the planet? You bet your fricken knickers we do.

Slade73 on June 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

AZfederalis

And make no mistake, both of the Maine sisters will vote with the dems if by some miracle we win the White House AND pick up enough seats to bring it to a vote in the senate, which means we not only have to win enough seats to gain control of the senate, but we also have to win enough seats to offset those two votes, plus at least one more turncoat that you just know is out there.

But I’m supposed to be thankful for the brilliant strategery of John Roberts for calling it a tax and giving us the chance to continue fighting Obamacare instead of ending it as he should have.

xblade on June 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:25 AM

On serious note, I’ll be there and then some. Depending on how it goes, here’s hoping we won’t have real ones.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

..crap! What a grammatical mess:

Anyone who believes there’s no crying in baseball never sawmy little league coach during a game that I pitched.

Slade..this is what’s known as divine retribution.

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

lynncgb on June 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Yep. Kind of a Remember the Alamo moment if you ask me, but hey I am biased.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:17 AM

I only know one other person, a karate instructor, who knows who Zatoichi is.

Before I leave….

Electrongod on June 30, 2012 at 12:21 AM

Haven’t heard that in a long time. Good one.

novaculus on June 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Quick update on my friend Norm. He left the hospital today for a rehab facility. Please keep those prayers ascending…

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

lynncgb on June 30, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Brava!

I am guessing you didn’t make it to my 11:21 PM post before posting this … but it does not matter in the least.

Brava!

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I’d rather look at a photo of Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.

TimBuk3 on June 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Here she is, doggy style.

arnold ziffel on June 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Hmmm. Keep it up, txmom. I’m starting to come around.

Cleombrotus on June 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM

…ha ha!…I had already swallowed my drink when you posted that…so…you didn’t get my screen wet!

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Good to hear OC. I’m most happy for him, his family and you.

Schadenfreude on June 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Great news!!..Will do!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:36 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Ah, my friend Koolaid, just can’t believe some of the silly things that people actually think :)

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Please keep those prayers ascending…

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

..your fiend is in my thoughts and prayers, O.C.

Flora says she’s sweltering and Drudge has Kansas at 118F. How’s the Big O?

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I didn’t see it, but I’ll go back to it now. I had to stop reading…it was making me nuts.

lynncgb on June 30, 2012 at 12:39 AM

Not sure what part of the state you’re in, but the Fort Bend County tea party is having a Cruz/Dewhurst forum on July 7. I’m taking my CHL test that day so can’t attend. I’m sure it will be packed, especially because of yesterday. Cruz signed the pledge to repeal Ocare a long time ago. I think he’s got the momentum.

TxAnn56 on June 30, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Thanks, and am sorry you won’t be there, but getting your CHL is almost as important as giving birth. ;-)

I have long supported Ted in this race, even tried to get my friend David Dewhurst not to run, so I had planned to be there for the fireworks. They asked me this week to say a few words on behalf of Ted at the event, to which I asked, “Are you sure you want me to speak for him, and not against him? Have you people thought this through?”

It’ll be fun, and sorry you’ll miss it, but shoot good and get that license!

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

Slade73 on June 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

Naah, because it’s a throwaway position. A microsecond after Governor Romney says that, little Bammie says “me too’. In the end the commitment from little Bammie is more credible on that topic, and few would believe that Governor Romney would see it through.

slickwillie2001 on June 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM

I hear you..Let’s Roll!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

I’d rather look at a photo of Debbie Wasserman-Schultz.

TimBuk3 on June 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Here she is, doggy style.

arnold ziffel on June 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Thick, hot and muggy. Been in the nineties and hundreds here. Miserable, I got really sick yesterday vomiting from the weather. AC was not effective at all. It’s actually cold in here today. Set it at 68…

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Here she is, doggy style.

arnold ziffel on June 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM

That’s it! I am calling the SPCA on you for animal cruelty!

Comparing that sweet dog to the DNC’s whackadoodle …

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Slade..this is what’s known as divine retribution.

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:33 AM

haha

God hates a nazi :)

I’m almost guaranteed to say something stupid when I call someone stupid. Karma is a instant @ss kicking with me.

Slade73 on June 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Justice Roberts harmed the constitution in a grave way.
What he did, in his own self-interest and to preserve the image of the court, was the essence of judicial activism, re-writing a law to preserve its constitutionality.
He has opened the door with this precedent to future rulings which, when penalties are involved, to be able to call them taxes.
If Justice Roberts were less concerned about the “image” of the court, which is a political concern, and more concerned about measuring a law’s constitutionality basis on the original intent, the bill would have been killed.
The anger in the words of the dissenters is apparent, and many are now believing that Roberts jumped ship at the 11th hour.
Also, we were not helped at all with the commerce clause. Roberts’ comments on the commerce clause were not in “the opinion of the court” they are only in “his opinion” so those commerce clause words cannot be used as a judicial precedent.
In other words, Roberts did a terrible thing, he damaged our constitution, and flung the door wide open for future abuses.

Mark7788 on June 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Cleombrotus on June 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Together we are stronger. Thanks.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

..Mark, et al, gotta scoot. Courtesy bids me say good night. See you all tomorrow.

Out.

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Just took a few seconds to say one. Very glad to hear he is getting better.

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

G’night WP!

PolAgnostic on June 30, 2012 at 12:44 AM

I hear you..Let’s Roll!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:40 AM

ah yes, and hoping that Nov. is memorable!

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

NOVEMBER 6TH: OUR TURN!

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Oh yeah. Absolutely. I don’t get depressed when things go wrong, I get mad and work to resolve that which has angered me. This angers me greatly. I may not have much control, but that which I have is focused on helping get our side in power and take out the commie @#$%^s that foisted this upon us.

Salute.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM

Tucson. Close enough to know the problems and way too close to the stupid. Tucson, to be kind, is full of stupid.

AZfederalist on June 30, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Mark7788 on June 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Time will tell. Right now we have 130 days to make sure Obama loses. Everything else is a distraction.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

So glad to hear that OC. Continued prayers for his recovery.

AZfederalist on June 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Good night all.

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

The GOP will betray you!..:)
The GOPe will betray you..For the true cons!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:18 AM

…The Supreme Court betrayed me…
Chief Justice John Roberts… betrayed me…

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Mark7788 on June 30, 2012 at 12:42 AM

very true my friend, I find it interesting that the dissent occured on both sides. Even Ginsburg had an issue with his ruling. He has created a precedent for the court to re-write legislation, especially considering that in his opinion, he wrote that it was for all intents and purposes, unconstitutional.

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

PolAgnostic on June 29, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Your refreshment was much appreciated.

lynncgb on June 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM

It’s not that you can’t explain it in full. You can’t explain it at all. You throw up strawmen.

I’ll ask again, point to law that limits the commerce clause. That was your defense of selling us out.

There is no law. One justices opinion. It carries no legal authority whatsoever. I’ll ask the same question….

You agree, right?

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 12:50 AM

OmahaConservative on June 30, 2012 at 12:34 AM

…(I just stuck a thumb up…and looked up… above me!)

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

…arnold!!!!!!…and Here… I thought I was going to see a picture or video of JugEars, with her again!

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 12:41 AM

The canine version is her pretty sister. Deb is who we pawn off on a victim of our choosing.

arnold ziffel on June 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

AZfederalist on June 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Yeah, it’s ugly. About time to fight back. “Conservative” now “Progressive” — “Progressive” now “Conservative.” :)

I think we can wear edgier T-shirts now, but the rest is the same.

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 12:52 AM

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

Later!..Enjoyed it!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 12:55 AM

I want to share the following related thoughts regarding our struggle before I leave again (btw, I haven’t had the chance to read anything here since my last post):

1) “A Republic, if you can keep it.” – Ben Franklin

2) anyone’s who interested, go to YouTube and listen to, “(You Gotta) Fight for Your Right (to Party!)”, by Beastie Boys! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on June 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:47 AM

Yes, and Hell yeah!

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Where’s Bmore? Laying the foundation for his 29 year? :)

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM

The War Planner on June 30, 2012 at 12:43 AM

‘Nite

jaime on June 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

txmomof6 on June 30, 2012 at 12:48 AM

‘Nite

jaime on June 30, 2012 at 1:00 AM

here’s a hit piece from the la times on Romney. they hate that he trashes europe…even tho he was a Mormon missionary! (leftists are such trashy people)

This will be a big barry theme for the fall. Romney wants Austerity…wait for it…just like they are doing in europe, which is Why europe is in such bad shape.

Bill J makes an appearance to tut tut Romney about his lack of vision…because as every leftist (cf Hollande) the answer is to Spend…not Austerity.

reading the whole thing if very depressing…leftists are very stupid, and very loyal to the Won…they will say anything, even if it doesn’t make any sense, oh, and btw…this is a ‘hard news’ story

Romney’s critiques of Europe raise some questions
He has accused President Obama of ‘taking us down a path towards Europe’ with his economic tactics. But critics say Romney’s plans to shrink government could bring about comparable problems.

r keller on June 30, 2012 at 1:01 AM

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 12:45 AM

Forward on to November!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Yep. Tucson is all kinds of stooopid. It’s really bad.

I hear Pinetop is nice. Plenty of RV’s for sale cheap in this economy. Boats and motorcycles too.

Found 2 1/2 acres. $250 down. $5/month for 30 years. Property is cheap.

It was 106° here. 82° there.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Where’s Bmore? Laying the foundation for his 29 year? :)

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM

…what?…are you inaugurating the Greek column‘s at JugEars baptism again?

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 1:06 AM

Forward on to November!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

let’s hope this comes along with it!

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:03 AM

Great song!

jaime on June 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Yes they did..But there is a window of opportunity!..:)

PS..Check out the name of the LP!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Where’s Bmore? Laying the foundation for his 29 year? :)

Axe on June 30, 2012 at 12:57 AM

Hot Air, and the government, are best to stay out of bedrooms. ;-)

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

Yes they did..But there is a window of opportunity!..:)

PS..Check out the name of the LP!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM

I think this fits better? but that is just me :)

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

Roberts gave Kennedy a free pass, a get out of jail card, for the rest of Kennedy’s term on the high court…

Gohawgs on June 30, 2012 at 1:17 AM

let’s hope this comes along with it!

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

…thanks!…angry mike was talking about trumpets last night…I think over the years that was my favorite piece to play…the bigger the band or orchestra…the more uplifting the feeling…I’d want to run and sit on the cannons as they were firing!

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 1:18 AM

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Thumbs up!..Very fitting Finale don’t you think!..:)

PS..But we somehow have to get this finale in there also!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:19 AM

I never really grooved on the beastie boys you gotta fight for your right to patrtaaaa. I was too busy working.

wolly4321 on June 30, 2012 at 1:20 AM

Conservatives before and after the ACA ruling.

jaime on June 30, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Great song!

jaime on June 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM

See Apocalypse Now..Great movie..It has that song in it!..Awesome scene!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:23 AM

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:09 AM

…I like the Fast and Furious ad I saw before the video too!

KOOLAID2 on June 30, 2012 at 1:24 AM

uncommon sense on June 30, 2012 at 1:16 AM

No problem!..I can dig it!..:)

Dire Straits on June 30, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Hot Air, and the government, are best to stay out of bedrooms. ;-)

TXUS on June 30, 2012 at 1:11 AM

*sniff* I’m so proud. :) It’s so beautiful. I want to go sing “Love is in the air” and window shop a bridal store.

– I mean –

I was thinking of dinner and a movie, TXUS!

Hmph.