Did Michelle Obama just make the Catholic Church argument against the HHS contraception mandate?

posted at 1:21 pm on June 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Yes she did, although I doubt she intended to do so.  In a speech today to a conference of the African Methodist Episcopal Church, the First Lady explained her concept of citizenship by likening it to the ministry of Jesus.  Her explanation corroborates the same point that the US Conference of Catholic Bishops have been making for months about the intrusive nature of the HHS contraception mandate, emphasis mine:

“It’s kind of like church,” Obama said. “Our faith journey isn’t just about showing up on Sunday for a good sermon and good music and a good meal. It’s about what we do Monday through Saturday as well, especially in those quiet moments, when the spotlight’s not on us, and we’re making those daily choices about how to live our lives.

“We see that in the life of Jesus Christ. Jesus didn’t limit his ministry to the four walls of the church,” she said. “He was out there fighting injustice and speaking truth to power every single day. He was out there spreading a message of grace and redemption to the least, the last, and the lost. And our charge is to find Him everywhere, every day by how we live our lives.”

Obama, who is not a regular churchgoer, said citizenship like the practice of faith is “not a once-a-week kind of deal.”

“Democracy is also an everyday activity,” she said. “And being an engaged citizen should once again be a daily part of our lives.”

Yes, indeed He was.  So do churches to this day, ministering to the sick and the poor, “the least, the last and the lost” that Mrs. Obama references here.  Furthermore, Jesus did not limit His ministry to just those disciples who followed Him, but ministered to many, including Romans, in the course of His evangelization.

However, her husband and Kathleen Sebelius don’t see it that way.  They only allow for activities within “the four walls of the church” to be classified as religious expression exempt from government regulation, and only that activity which excludes those other than believers as participants or recipients, too.  The USCCB and its allies in the Fortnight for Freedom campaign have repeatedly argued exactly as the First Lady does — that the provision of charity, education, and health care to the greater community is an integral component of religious expression, for Catholics and those of other denominations,  just as was Jesus’ ministry of healing, evangelization, and assistance to the poor.  In fact, Mrs. Obama makes that case as eloquently as I’ve seen it made during this debate.

Now that the First Lady has acknowledged that ministry is not limited to the four walls of the church and that it necessarily involves spreading the message of grace and redemption to more than just the choir, can we expect her husband and the Secretary of HHS reach the same conclusion?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:17 PM

The Samaritan woman at the well was not a Jew and Jesus saved her and her entire town by teaching them personally for two days. Jesus said to his disciples “My food is to do the will of him who sent me and accomplish his work” immediately before preaching to a town of gentiles for two days.

tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Couple of things, Samaritans are slightly different from Gentiles, but be that as it may.

John’s gospel presents the Lord as God. As God, he is the hope of all men (including gentiles). That is quite different from the hope of the kingdom (which is specific). One can have the hope of resurrection life without the hope of the kingdom.

The Lord speaks of those who will “inherit the earth”, those who will attain the “better resurrection” of Hebrews 11 and enter the New Jerusalem and the hope of sitting at the right hand of the Lord, far above all principalities and powers. These are different hopes. Some hopes are said to be from BEFORE the foundation of the ages and other SINCE the foundation of the ages. Each has an assurance of resurrection life in Christ, but each has a different hope. There are earthly hopes and there is a hope “far above all.” All are secured by Christ’s finished work.

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Do your beliefs represent a particular “denomination” or affiliation? This is just curiosity on my part. You said a few things I’m not familiar with. If you think it’s going to open you to abuse (or for any other reason), obviously just skip this comment.

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

posted at 1:21 pm on June 29, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Another modest proposal..and just as absurd.

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:33 PM

I’m a fan of any anti-imperialist/anti-capitalist ideology so I’m a fan of liberation theology for that reason. I haven’t read Cone so I can’t really speak on it with too much authority.

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Do you even see the cognitive dissonance in you statement. You are a fan of something because it fits what you like but haven’t even read the basis of what it teaches. That doesn’t say much for someone who claims to be a scholar does it.

You rightly criticize pork-chop but then you praise a belief system that assumes hideous things about whites. So may I assume you believe whites aren’t human beings?

chemman on June 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Also…is that statement very Jesus-y?

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I know those are easy bites, but by taking them, you are just biting yourself later. I think. That’s usually how it works with me, anyway.

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Jesus specifically said there would be gentiles in the Kingdom and Jews who wouldn’t make it. You are basically putting forth the same “dual covenant” theology the extreme dispensationalist do and I don’t buy it all. We’ll have to agree to disagree. I think, however, we do agree in our response to Mooch’s ravings.

tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM

It would be bad scholarship of me to pretend I had read Cone, when I have not. That said, the major beats of anti-imperialism are similar from place to place and I have thoroughly enjoyed every Jeremiah Wright and other Trinity sermons that I’ve heard.

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Jesus man….she’s not only the First Lady…she’s a human being.

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Your point being? She’s an angry black woman who happens to be a vile human being and confirmed racist. I don’t care very much that she spent 20 years in a “church” that hates whites or the fact that the Obamas have gone to a worship service seven times since they moved to DC. All that just shows the hypocrisy when Mooch decides to lecture us on what Christ would have done. I do think that she if failing in one of the most important things a Christian is supposed to be doing- bringing up her children in the faith. You can’t do that when you only join a community of believers as a photo-op.

Happy Nomad on June 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Okay, I’m going to try, one last time.

Not talking about “you”. I’m talking about the First Lady. Why don’t you bust on her for quoting the Bible and imposing her faith like you always have with Conservatives?

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

I believe that since there are 7 billion people on the planet, there are thus 7 billion different theologies on the planet. I’m responsible for one (that is the theme of my metaphorical/allegorical book, btw).

My conclusions are my own. I do not claim that I am right based on any authority or on history or by tradition… I only argue from my search for a consistent understanding of scripture.

Yes, there are labels for some of what I believe, but since, before God, I will only answer for my own personal beliefs, I don’t like to use labels by others. The big picture is that I believe in resurrection life as a free gift by grace through faith as it has been since Adam. I am then trying to live according to instructions given to me for the age in which I live. My hope is the “far above all” of Ephesians and to attain the greater resurrection of Philippians 3.

That’s a very brief overview!

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM

That’s a very brief overview!

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM

lol — OK, Thanks again. I’ll stop bothering you. I looked at the book, briefly. I wondered if it were allegorical, considering your zealousness here. :)

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM

tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Yes, gentiles will be in the kingdom. Of course they will. When God promised Israel alone (Ex 19) they would be a kingdom of priests, the promise begs the question, “priests for whom?” The answer is “for believing gentiles.” We see this in the prophets (especially in Zech). If you read of the kingdom in Isaiah and in the New Covenant it is for Israel. The NC is clearly a future event and it is clearly for Israel. Jeremiah and Paul make that abundantly clear.

When God told Israel that they would be a kingdom of priests, for whom do you suppose they would be priests for?

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Whatever – I wish that the stupid, slobbering cow would keep her grubby, filthy non-believer hooves off of CHRISTIANITY and JESUS. Big Mo should stick to things that her tiny diseased brain can comprehend, like being not-really-proud-of America.
Pork-Chop on June 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Hooves?
I mean a hateful rant is one thing…but that just takes it to the demented level.
Jesus loves you (though it can’t be easy).

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Heh. Hawk, even reading that, it was slow and calm. :)

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 2:40 PM

As I just said, its a poor rationale for policy. But I tend to agree with her politically (her statements are super vague), so all I can really say is that its a poor argument. I don’t see her policy as doing harm. I get more incensed about religious-based policy that is harmful, or that I perceive as harmful based upon my ideology. Which makes me about as hypocritical as everyone else on earth.

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:46 PM

One can have the hope of resurrection life without the hope of the kingdom.

JW theology which explains your baptism statement.

chemman on June 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Jesus loves you (though it can’t be easy).

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM | Delete

Nothing is hard for Jesus. Are you a Christian?

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

You’re a stain on life’s underwear, libfreestufforcry. And, Michelle is going to be put back in her cage after this gaffe, kinda like for the first time in her life she’s proud of her country.
Now, she also made the argument against tax exemption in these politically charged churches. Praise and worship God, no, liberation theology God damns America and roosts chickens,

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Pork-Chop on June 29, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Dude, i can understand if you don’t like her for her politics or attitude, but dang….

She’s bad, but not like a 1960′s unconvicted female domestic terrorist…ya know?

BlaxPac on June 29, 2012 at 2:48 PM

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I asked you another question? Do you support the hideous things that Liberation Theology teaches about whites?

chemman on June 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM

She’s an angry black woman
Happy Nomad on June 29, 2012 at 2:38 PM

What race and gender are you?
Just so we can all include when opining on your brilliant musings and thoughts.
(And yes, this is where you get to live your fantasy online!)

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM

tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Part 2… just on this point.

If you read that passage in Matthew 8, the Lord recognizes a difference between Jews (“children of the kingdom”) and gentiles. In the context they must be differentiated or the passage makes no sense. A gentile cannot be called a child of the kingdom. That is language for Israel alone.

And as some of the children of the kingdom will be cast out into outer darkness (not into flames, by the way), being a “child of the kingdom” cannot be equal to the free gift of life nor can it be equated with any other specific judgment. So much for “Kingdom Kids” clubs at churches. ;)

I’m not a child of the Kingdom, nor would I want to be. That is an earthly promise given SINCE (or FROM) the foundation of the age, whereas my hope (which knows no race) was promised BEFORE the foundation of the age. Those must be different promises. One can’t have a hope on the earth given SINCE the foundation of the age and another far above the heavens given BEFORE the foundation of the age.

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM

…so I can’t really speak on it with too much authority.

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

We’ll add this to the list.

Dopenstrange on June 29, 2012 at 2:51 PM

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Can I be a female dark-elf?

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

*I don’t want to be a leet or anything …

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Nothing is hard for Jesus. Are you a Christian?

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

As you likely mean it, no.
But is Pork chop?

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Those who had the faith of Abraham. Who was melchizedek a priest for? He was a Priest before the law establishing Jewish priests ever came down.

tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

One can have the hope of resurrection life without the hope of the kingdom.

JW theology which explains your baptism statement.

chemman on June 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

A. I don’t believe in baptism for this age.
B. One of my arguments in differentiating the ministries of the Lord Jesus is that since he is equal to the Father, how he deals with men may differ from age to age because we acknowledge those changes.
C. I clearly stated that I believe that the gift of resurrection life, from Adam, has always been free by grace through faith.

I’m one lousy JW

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Seriously dude?

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:15 PM

Seriously. How often do you hear these preachers speak out against abortion, when abortion providers target the black community? They are slowly dwindling as a minority, as their children are eliminated. That will only accelerate as ObamaCare takes hold, and abortion coverage becomes an option.

Ward Cleaver on June 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

What race and gender are you?
Just so we can all include when opining on your brilliant musings and thoughts.
(And yes, this is where you get to live your fantasy online!)

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:50 PM

What race and gender are you?

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

FLOTUS better get on the phone with Pelosi.
Pretty sure she said Church is a Sunday only thing.
She certainly is not very Christian the rest of the week.

Jabberwock on June 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Anti-Catholic bigot. That’s his faith, based on his works. He hijacks every thread that’s even tangentially mentions Catholics or Catholicism. He also seems to be solidly against religious freedom, or at least care nothing for it.

theCork on June 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM

tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 2:55 PM

The promise in Exodus 19 is future. They would be a kingdom of priests in the future.

So you accept that there were believers who were not under the Law (which contained the promise of the priesthood) and that God can offer one thing to all (free gift of resurrection life) while establishing other hopes as a matter of obedience to specific instructions?

Welcome!

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

libfreeordie, does BLT really promote Batman-Jesus?

rogerb on June 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

So nothing on Black Liberation Theology’s Batman-Jesus, libfreeordie?

rogerb on June 29, 2012 at 2:22 PM

What do you want to know?

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

rogerb on June 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM
As you likely mean it, no.
But is Pork chop?

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Doesn’t sound very Christian-like in that comment. But to hear a non-believer make the correction based on the other persons faith is a hoot. You liberals are funny like that.

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 3:00 PM

theCork on June 29, 2012 at 2:56 PM

Point to one “anti-Catholic” statement of bigotry I’ve made in this thread (or any thread for that matter).

Where on earth did you get that I am against religious freedom? I’m fairly libertarian on that point.

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I point out again that the Soviet Union had “Freedom of Worship”, which President Obama and Secretary Sebellius bout tout. Anyone could attend one of the few churches allowed to exist… but if they practiced their faith in any way OUTSIDE of a church, they were subject to arrest.

Freedom of religion is quite different.

theCork on June 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Nothing is hard for Jesus. Are you a Christian?

hawkdriver on June 29, 2012 at 2:47 PM

As you likely mean it, no.
But is Pork chop?

verbaluce on June 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Your god, small g, voted present in the IL state congress and only got interested when a bill for doctors to treat babies after a botched abortion. You see, a nurse talked about a baby that was born alive after a botched abortion and was not helped. It was left in a sink to die. She held it for the 45 minutes of this baby’s life. Obama was against giving care.
Is he a Christian? As we likely mean it, no. Only when the cameras are around.

CherryBombsBigBrownBeaver on June 29, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Doh! Out of time. Can’t unravel all the mysteries.

__________Self-Serving Axe Sync Line__________

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Axe on June 29, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Just to say (write) it… I can fellowship with anyone who has his hope in resurrection life based on the finished work (death, no decay, and resurrection) of the eternal Lord Jesus Christ alone.

Starting on that firm, unmovable foundation, I can discuss anything.

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:12 PM

How exactly was Christ “fighting injustice and speaking truth to power every single day?” I thought he spent most of his time teaching. Aside from the moneychangers in the temple incident, where is all this fighting injustice and speaking truth to power?

Pablo on June 29, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Oh, come on. You know the stories from the Gospel According to Obama.

Remember the one about Jesus getting in the boat, and the storm came up? The disciples were afraid for their lives, and they said, “Master, we shall perish.” And Jesus arose and rebuked the cooks of the Roman army because their fires spewed too much carbon into the air. And at that very moment, the rise of the oceans stopped and the planet began to heal.

And then there was the story about the time Jesus journeyed to Rome. And he saw the splendor and the decadence and behold, how they were the richest nation on earth. He said unto Caesar, “Rend unto the people in equal shares to everyone of them.”

Did you sleep in Sunday School or what???

CJ on June 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I’m a fan of any anti-imperialist/anti-capitalist ideology

Assuming you mean that in every sense of the world, then you really are living in the wrong country aren’t you?

But that aside, considering that the last territory annexed by the US government was Hawaii was the last state into the Union (1959), and we left other territories like Philippines and Panama (which btw, seems to have a growing Chinese influence there…but never-mind that) so Imperialism doesn’t seem to be a goal.

As far as Capitalism, have you SEEN our tax rates for the last 4 years? Or where the US ranks as far as Corporate Taxes goes vs. the rest of the First World nations?

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Strange theology to follow, but hey, as long as it’s not overtly racists or xenophobic….

Oh, wait…never mind.

BlaxPac on June 29, 2012 at 3:14 PM

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:01 PM

In any thread that mentions religious freedom, you care NOTHING for the topic, but simply change it to your mono-maniacal topic: Bashing Catholicism.

As to your Anti-Catholicism:

That was in regard to Pelosi, who is excommunicated “Latae Sententiae”. Cannon 1398, formal cooperation in evil. You knew what you said above was nonsense. You distort Catholicism, and mock Catholics for their beliefs.

theCork on June 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Did you sleep in Sunday School or what???

CJ on June 29, 2012 at 3:13 PM

He went for 20 years, but doesn’t remember anything that was taught.

/Obama

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM

theCork on June 29, 2012 at 3:17 PM

OK, let’s take a look at your charge and evidence.

I believe I asked for an example of Anti-Catholic bigotry in THIS thread. No luck, huh?

So you post this “evidence”… “Your post is a sin. You are to submit both will and intellect to bishop in all matters of faith and morals.”

So quoting codified RC doctrine is now anti-Catholic? That doctrine is from the post-conciliar documents of Vatican II. Was the author also an anti-Catholic bigot?

You just don’t like that I quote stuff. I never make a claim without reference (unlike you who claimed that in EVERY thread about religious freedom I post anti-Catholic bigotry, yet you couldn’t find any in this thread).

See: ad hominem fallacy

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Seems like some want to “strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.”

But that was pre-resurrection, so it doesn’t apply here, or something.

davidk on June 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM

So Mrs. O is talking about churches ministering to the “least.” Does that include pre-born babies? How does she sleep at night?

indyvet on June 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Seems like some want to “strain out a gnat but swallow a camel.”

But that was pre-resurrection, so it doesn’t apply here, or something.

davidk on June 29, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Hey since you want to ignore the clear evidence from the Lord’s own mouth and want us to assume that everything he said in his ministry is for you…

I have some old medical bills that I am still paying. So please send me all your assets according to the Sermon on the Mount. Next time I’ll call you first since he promised you could heal the sick and raise the dead too. It’s all for you!

Thanks!

PS: Is it straining at gnat to tell someone he shouldn’t follow the dictates concerning the sacrifices in Leviticus? No, it’s using reason and rightly dividing the Word of Truth. Good luck obeying Matthew 10… Acts 15… Romans 11… 1 Cor 7… etc. Just toss out the parts you don’t like.

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Jesus, Friend of Sinners Including dante and GoodLt–and me.

davidk on June 29, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Friend of sinners. Well, that just about covers it. pre-, post-, Gentile, Jew, man woman, Pharisee, preacher, church, synagogue, mosque.—–and me.

davidk on June 29, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Actually, Jesus did not have a’ministry’ he was the Messiah – at leaste so he implied. There were no churches, nor was there a ‘Church’ {the body of believers described by Paul}. Jews had Temple, and Jesus was a rabbi, or so he was addressed. When he went into Temple he was handed torah to read and expound so he surely was a rabbi.

Jesus was not out there fighting injustice, he had a mission to the Jews, and created apostles to carry his message, specifically not unto the Gentiles but to the chosen people. Even Paul who had revelation of a mission to the Gentiles was not fighting injustice, but fighting ungodliness and evangelizing people to message of the Cross, that Christ died and returned from death, so by his blood those who believed would be redeemed

Mtt 15:22 when the canaanite woman begged Jesus for a healing

24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

25 Then came she and worshipped him, saying, Lord, help me.

26 But he answered and said, It is not meet to take the children’s bread, and to cast it to dogs.

Jesus had a mission to the Jews, but he diverted on some few occasions. Although he referred to the wman as ‘dog’, the term used by Jews for the uncircumcised, in the Greek the word ‘dog’ is the diminuative form for ‘puppies’ which shows softness

MOO has Jesus onfused with Johnny Appleseed or someone. Jesus was bigger than that. He was fighting for souls, before the coming sorting of the wheat and chaff, and to teach and warn of the coming end times. Ultimately to be the Saviour, but not by writing legislation or stuffing ballot boxes in the name of the higher good

Jesus gave no speeches against slavery, nor against the emperor, but ranted against those who perverted the faith. Unlike politicians He warned the End Times would be horrific. I cannot see how Jesus of the Bible would approve abortion, since every child was already known in the womb

entagor on June 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM

You are the one who is pulling verses out of context.

And if you are having financial difficulties and I hsve the resource to help, yes, I’ll help you out.

davidk on June 29, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Thanks!

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM

How do you know I haven’t?

If I have, why would I tell you? You would just explain it away.

davidk on June 29, 2012 at 3:42 PM

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Bash Christianity at your peril. You don’t have beheadings but you might face fire and brimstone!

Ask MM what happened to the middle of Colorado after the Broncos dumped Tim Tebow.

IlikedAUH2O on June 29, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Also…is that statement very Jesus-y?
libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:27 PM
It’s no worse than “You brood of vipers”
tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Or, “… I should be a liar like you.”

” But you have not known him; I know him. If I said, I do not know him, I should be a liar like you; but I do know him and I keep his word.” John 8:55

Or, ” … tell that fox…”

And he said to them, “Go and tell that fox, `Behold, I cast out demons and perform cures today and tomorrow, and the third day I finish my course.
Luke 8:32

Cleombrotus on June 29, 2012 at 4:17 PM

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I accept nothing of the sort. I have no clue what you mean by “other hopes” . The only relevant “hope” is the same for Jews and Gentiles alike: The Messiah, the seed of Eve who would bruise the head of Satan and sit on the throne of David forever, offering forgiveness of sin as a matter of grace to “all who believe”. The Law gives no hope – the law is a curse which convicts us of sin. Nobody was ever saved by the law, to the contrary, it only convicts. Christ is the only hope for Jew and Gentile alike and alwasy has been. The Spirit quickens, the flesh profiteth nothing.

tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Do you suppose Michelle got home and was greeted by Barry with a huge, “WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!!??”

redgypsy on June 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM

…unless it was something she could eat….no!

KOOLAID2 on June 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM

here’s 1 Timothy 6

11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you 14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which God will bring about in his own time —God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no one has seen or can see. To him be honor and might forever. Amen.

17 Command those who are rich in this present world not to be arrogant nor to put their hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but to put their hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment. 18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share. 19 In this way they will lay up treasure for themselves as a firm foundation for the coming age, so that they may take hold of the life that is truly life.

20 Timothy, guard what has been entrusted to your care. Turn away from godless chatter and the opposing ideas of what is falsely called knowledge, 21 which some have professed and in so doing have departed from the faith.

Grace be with you all.

r keller on June 29, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Hey Michelle, since you like to channel Jesus so much, WHAT DO YOU THINK JESUS THINKS OF ABORTION?

Or are you actually equating Obama with Jesus?

No one can be that stupid. Oh, wait…………….

GarandFan on June 29, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Why do you let so many threads die after you present your data and/or open ended argument?

rogerb on June 14, 2012 at 11:37 PM

Which threads are those?

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 11:44 PM

rogerb on June 29, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Best comment of all is on yahoo under the article:

What if Jesus charged $40,000 for a seat at the Last Supper?

unclesmrgol on June 29, 2012 at 6:19 PM

None of these filthy people even have the right to utter the Holy Name of Jesus Christ, let alone try to use Him as an example for their wicked agenda.

Gordy on June 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM

When Caesar starts to tell you how you should be rendering unto God to fit the demands of Caesar, then it isn’t God that has got a problem. Caesar needs to be reminded that rule in this life is limited, circumscribed and is not eternal. When those rendering unto God are doing no harm and are, indeed, working to save lives and Caesar seeks to change that, then there is a major, major problem going on with Caesar.

Caesar needs to stick with this world and the limited functions that are assigned to him: that is to the State and that the domain of God is outside the State’s reach. Reach into that realm and it is asking for trouble.

ajacksonian on June 29, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Gordy on June 29, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Beware of wolves in sheep’s clothing – by their fruits ye shall know them.

tommyboy on June 29, 2012 at 6:50 PM

“Jesus didn’t limit his ministry to the four walls of the church,” she said. “He was out there fighting injustice and speaking truth to power every single day…”

True dat!

But it seems that anytime anyone on the wingnut right of the Bible Belt attempts to put that into action in the public square, they’re met by loon toon libs with screaming, spittle flecked tirades about ‘separation of church and state.’

Funny how that works.

locomotivebreath1901 on June 29, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Michelle Obama is married to the God of the Progressive Left…

and he’s certainly expanding HIS kingdom for his disciples.

Government will never, never, never restrain itself from growing. In all of recorded history of mankind, has any government ever grown smaller on it’s own or shown that it will curb it’s own powers?

NEVER.

PappyD61 on June 29, 2012 at 6:55 PM

redgypsy on June 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Yep, Michelle’s a Tea Partier now. /

22044 on June 29, 2012 at 7:11 PM

Hmmm…can’t wait to hear how Carney is going to do the “What she meant was….” speech on Monday. Michelle! You got some splainin to do!

rocker98 on June 29, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Sure, and no I’m sure she didn’t mean it, but she’s not only beastly looking but a tad on the dim side too. Very dim.

Wolfmoon on June 30, 2012 at 2:35 AM

And a good meal……… funny, the w**kie just can’t say anything without it leading back to food…

angrymike on June 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM

mankai:

Biggest problem with you trying to constrain Jesus’ ministry during his life to the time before his death and resurrection is that for Jesus, his death was a necessary part of his mission – a sacrifice for all the sins of mankind.

His resurrection is the continuation of his life, for the entire point of the resurrection is that Christ is still alive. To selectively read scripture on Jesus’ life to preclude any instruction after his death and resurrection is to miss the entire point of Christianity.

BKennedy on June 29, 2012 at 2:18 PM

yes…well done

workingclass artist on June 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM

I think it’s an excellent article Ed…let’s hope the bishops use it.

hypocrisy is blinding

workingclass artist on June 30, 2012 at 9:23 AM

“Our faith journey isn’t just about showing up on Sunday for a good sermon and good music and a good meal.” – MÖ

Questions?
Well, if it was good enough for Rev. Jerry Wright, why not now?
Ahhhhh Yes …
‘twould indeed be unseemly to continue to attend a racist “church” in D.C.
Although ØbahØlder does embrace the allegedly superior theology part, “liberation” is beyond their ken. But, hope springs eternal – in Hades.
~(Ä)~

Karl Magnus on June 30, 2012 at 9:34 AM

“It’s kind of like church,” Obama said. “Our faith journey isn’t just about showing up on Sunday for a good sermon and good music and a good meal. It’s about what we do Monday through Saturday as well, especially in those quiet moments, when the spotlight’s not on us, and we’re making those daily choices about how to live our lives.

IT IS SO CLEARLY OBVIOUS that Michelle Obama DID NOT WRITE THAT HERSELF.

Another one of those performances by the trained circus act that is Michelle and Barack Obama The Liars.

Lourdes on June 30, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Did she get to the point later of telling everyone how “Jesus’ ministry” took the lives of children from their mothers’ wombs because they were “inconvenient” and “punishment” to the mothers? Huh, did she get around to that? Maybe after that “meal”…

Lourdes on June 30, 2012 at 11:12 AM

“Jesus didn’t limit his ministry to the four walls of the church…”

A. This is a nonsensical statement.
B. Talk like this is always dangerous to a free people (because misapplication will follow).
C. Even if true, what the hell does this have to do with the function of government?

mankai on June 29, 2012 at 1:30 PM

I often wonder what Michelle Obama is doing as a function of government with her various intrusions into the function of our government while she’s not an elected official.

Carrying slack for Barack while he’s out golfing, perhaps.

Lourdes on June 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Jesus man….she’s not only the First Lady…she’s a human being. Can you get your life right please?

libfreeordie on June 29, 2012 at 2:24 PM

“Thou shall not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.”

Lourdes on June 30, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Mankai:

It is quite obvious that you are reading an agenda into the words of scripture rather that apprehending it’s true meaning. From the earliest parts of the Old Testament, long before Jesus’ terrestrial ministry, the prophets foretell of a King that will save all nations of the earth…not just Israel. It’s quite obvious that in God omniscience his plan was to save the entire world…and being that there is no difference between Jew or Greek, slave or free, man or woman, your theory lacks foundation.

ToneChristcon on July 2, 2012 at 4:26 PM