Video: Chris Matthews experiences ultimate leg-thrill over John Roberts

posted at 7:21 pm on June 28, 2012 by Allahpundit

Via Newsbusters, this is the only part of today’s fallout that I can’t bear. ObamaCare can still be undone this fall and we did, in fact, win the Commerce Clause argument, in case you’re one of those people who thinks that’s important despite losing the big one. But please, spare me the Strange New Respect for the Court from tedious squealing liberal infants who would have been crying today about creeping fascism and the end of the judiciary had Roberts simply gone the other way on the tax question. (Read last night’s Quotes of the Day for more on that.) I know I’ve been harping on this point all week but I don’t want it to get lost in the shuffle: For all the mewling from the progressive nursery about partisanship and politicization on the Court, it was only conservative votes that were ever in play. The four leftist hacks on the bench were take-it-to-the-bank votes to uphold from day one despite the constitutional novelty of the mandate. They are and forever will be a rubber stamp on any sort of economic power grab by Congress, and yet, oddly, that never seems to affect leftist calculations about the integrity or the independence of the Court. If Roberts’s opinion had been, in its entirety, “Upheld because I say so,” Matthews still would have been on the air tonight slobbering all over him.

The other thing about this is how it’s predictable on both the macro and micro levels. It’s not enough to salute Roberts for having saved democracy or whatever; in the span of 80 seconds, he mentions three times how historic the ruling was, takes a gratuitous shot at “right-wing fever swamps” and their “hate vapors,” and name-checks — wait for it — the Koch brothers. And remember, this guy is probably farther to the center than anyone else in the MSNBC afternoon/evening line-up. This is virtuoso hackery. Appreciate it.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

A Peek At Progressive “Logic”:

Citizens United v FEC, free speech for corporations: BAD, OUTRAGEOUS, THE END OF THE WORLD!!!

National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius, Florida v. United States Department of Health and Human Services, Federal government mandating that citizens pay “taxes” in the form of premiums to health insurance corporations or pay a punitive “tax” to the Federal government:

FABU, WONDERFUL, BEST THING THAT HAS EVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND!

You go, Progs! Pay those “taxes” to those big, old, mean, mean, meanie corporations!!!

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Should liberals be overjoyed that Obamacare is going to enrich teh insurance companies?

tom daschle concerned on June 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

They deserve each other. Make sure you check Matthews’ collars for bronzer stains.

Blake on June 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Bark’s Personal Piss Drinker got himself all hotted-up over some guy he hated just the day before because of a single vote? Action News Aler *snore*

Bishop on June 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

John Roberts deserves our contempt

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

The tingles will be gone very soon when Obama’s poll numbers start slipping. This is talking point gold for the Republicans. Every single speech should start off with “The President has just raised everyone’s taxes.”

VinceOfDoom on June 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Romney is my new best friend.

GeorgiaBuckeye on June 28, 2012 at 7:26 PM

John Roberts?

Will this change? (via http://www.ihatethemedia.com/)

As president, Mitt will nominate judges in the mold of Chief Justice Roberts and Justices Scalia, Thomas, and Alito. These justices hold dear what the great Chief Justice John Marshall called “the basis on which the whole American fabric has been erected”: a written Constitution, with real and determinate meaning. The judges that Mitt nominates will exhibit a genuine appreciation for the text, structure, and history of our Constitution and interpret the Constitution and the laws as they are written. And his nominees will possess a demonstrated record of adherence to these core principles.

davidk on June 28, 2012 at 7:23 PM

davidk on June 28, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Just yesterday Roberts was Roger Taney 2.0 to tingles… and now this…

ninjapirate on June 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

What is he gonna do when his boyfriend looses and this dog gets repealed?

Hopefully cry on camera.

Gatsu on June 28, 2012 at 7:28 PM

i hope you are proud of yourself justice roberts because no conservative right now is proud of you…

sadsushi on June 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

IT has been a long day, Allahpundit. Did you REALLY have to expose me to CHRIS MATTHEWS, too? I don’t watch him for a REASON. Do I have to pre-screen HOT AIR now, too?

thatsafactjack on June 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

VinceOfDoom on June 28, 2012 at 7:25 PM

When GOP fundraising skyrockets, and when American Crossroads starts running “Obama lied about taxes” ads in swing states, the Dems will be back to whining about Citizens United.

In PA, we already have PAC ads running with the “public sector is doing fine” clip.

Wethal on June 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

And that’s what makes the theory of Roberts having a “cunning plan” so stupid. Making incremental progress on Commerce Clause precedent was not worth creating an entirely new circumvention (the non-tax tax) for them to ascribe sweeping federal powers; however, even if it was, what on Earth makes anyone thing a Democrat appointed judge or justice will pay any respect to the supposed precedent set by this ruling?

Even with Roberts auctioning the most important vote in the history of everything for a concession, not one liberal joined him in limiting the commerce clause.

HitNRun on June 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

John Roberts is a disgrace.

And George Will is a moron.

LevinFan on June 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

in November we will destroy them.

rob verdi on June 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Cannot. Watch. This. My blood pressure is already sky high over this.

TarheelBen on June 28, 2012 at 7:32 PM

tom daschle concerned on June 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

It won’t, but if it were true they would in turn enrich the DNC…it always works out that way somehow…but that’s ok, because money given to lefties absolves one of any bourgeois crimes against the proletariat.

AUINSC on June 28, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Has Justice Roberts left for his vacation in Cuba yet?

JPeterman on June 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Can’t watch this. Just can’t. Now, when he’s in the middle of a drunken rant the day after O’Bumbles loses this November, that I’ll loop and watch over and over.

Moose Drool on June 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

tom daschle concerned on June 28, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Ahhh that corporatism that we keep hearing about. Just like drones it is now a good think. The (D) sure can work miracles.

CW on June 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

That leg is gonna run away screaming like a banshee on November 6.
Unfortunately, there are so many ignorant people out there who don’t even gave a clue what happened today, it’s probably gonna be a long night.
But still, that leg needs to be caught and Chrissy beaten down with it.

HornetSting on June 28, 2012 at 7:35 PM

When GOP fundraising skyrockets…..

Wethal on June 28, 2012 at 7:30 PM

When ?

Already has.

CW on June 28, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Thank goodness he mentioned the Koch Brothers.

CorporatePiggy on June 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Mathews is a woman.

No disrespect to women(He’s supposed to be a man)

CW on June 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Has Justice Roberts left for his vacation in Cuba yet?

JPeterman on June 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM

I hope his wife packed a dozen rolls of toilet paper for their vacay in Cuba !

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Just watch it. Pretend that Crissy is some freak at the state fair and you’re sitting in the beer hall watching them…you know that feeling you get when you’re like “Holy shiite, what’s wrong with that dude?”

Take heart that you aren’t him, a kowtowing crack licker who lays in bed at night wondering where in life it all went wrong.

Bishop on June 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

So which thread gives me some kind of idea what today means for me? I had always consider the chance that we wouldn’t win but this sounds crazy to me. Courts can determine taxes now?

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

he mentions three times how historic the ruling was

Well Allah, it was “historic”. The single LARGEST tax increase on the middle class since the founding of the Republic. $1.7 TRILLION dollars.

Only Tingles is too stupid to see it. After all, it is Tingles, so you really weren’t expecting anything remotely intelligent to come out of his mouth, were you?

GarandFan on June 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

There is something epically stupid about Chris Matthews that is actually kind of funny.

Like watching a really bad B-movie where you burst out laughing when you are meant to be scared.

CorporatePiggy on June 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

3 vids, totally on target :

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Mathews is a woman.

No disrespect to women(He’s supposed to be a man)

CW on June 28, 2012 at 7:37 PM

O_o

You are not going to saddle us with that one.

HornetSting on June 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Mitt Romney our LAST best hope? Say it ain’t so!

shov74 on June 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

I will save you the time Ms.Munford and I can do it for you in 3 words.

You. Are. Screwed.

JPeterman on June 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

Keep it up, Tingles… Keep it up.

LtGenRob on June 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

O_o

You are not going to saddle us with that one.

HornetSting on June 28, 2012 at 7:40 PM

Ok he has a very extreme homoerotic man crush on the likes of Obama and Roberts. Better?

CW on June 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

They certainly make a lovely couple. Hey Roberts, you already too one big step over the line to the Other Side, why not bring the other one over. Putz.

minnesoter on June 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

Even Allahpundit didn’t adequately Eeyore-up for this clusterfark of a SCOTUS decision. Oh the humanity!

LaserBeam on June 28, 2012 at 7:43 PM

BTW, did the bunny make a showing today?

LtGenRob on June 28, 2012 at 7:44 PM

Video: Chris Matthews experiences ultimate leg-thrill over John Roberts

Perhaps after the next session with his psychiatrist(s), Mr. Matthews can get that leg looked at.

MessesWithTexas on June 28, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Old hotness: Bromance
New hotness: Tinglespittle

LaserBeam on June 28, 2012 at 7:46 PM

Alright, here are what I rate as the candidates most worthy of donations in 2012. Each of the following candidates is running for a seat held by a Democrat or a retiring Democrat (they are all pick-up opportunities). These aren’t necessarily the ones we’re most likely to pick up, but rather the priority rating I’m attaching to donating to each candidate based on how conservative they are, their ability to win, and their need for donations to ensure victory (i.e. Deb Fischer is a conservative, but she is very likely to win already, so she’s further down the list):

1. Mark Neumann (Wisconsin)
2. Danny Rehberg (Montana)
3. Rick Berg (N. Dakota)
4. George Allen (Virginia)
5. Connie Mack (Florida)
6. Sarah Steelman (Missouri)
7. John Raese (West Virginia)
8. Josh Mandel (Ohio)
9. Deb Fischer (Nebraska)
10. Heather Wilson (New Mexico)

Also, Scott Brown (MA) and Dean Heller (NV) look like the only Republicans who are in danger of losing their seats, so they probably could use some help too.

I’m going to donate to one candidate a week through the election. Its worth it to make sure this horrible day is never repeated again.

Lawdawg86 on June 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM

It use to be called “jimmy leg”.
Then it became “restless leg syndrome”.
Now its re-branded as “Chrissy leg”.

LaserBeam on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

JPeterman on June 28, 2012 at 7:41 PM

LOL! I figured that one out myself. Since I am a good little insured person, do I get to ignore any chance of being “taxed”. Why do I think that is an even bigger joke.

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Dammit, I truly believed that Roberts was an intelligent person. But he is not. Maybe that explains why he always has a smile going. He wants to be loved more than he wants to be right.

minnesoter on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Well FWIW I’m not one of those people because I suspect that Roberts wanted to uphold this mandate and simply threw a severely conservative rhetorical bone to Scalia and the other dissenters. If he could contort himself out of these manacles why not others?

Seth Halpern on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

I refuse.

kevinkristy on June 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM

Keep it up, Tingles… Keep it up.

LtGenRob on June 28, 2012 at 7:42 PM

I see what you did there.

And, now I need vinegar to erase the vision you planted when I close my eyes.

Thanks alot.

LaserBeam on June 28, 2012 at 7:50 PM

CorporatePiggy on June 28, 2012 at 7:39 PM

He does have a kind of Fatty Arbuckle je ne sais quoi.

squint on June 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

I can’t watch it. Maybe tomorrow. These guys have sent me running, and donating, to Mitt Romney though.

stldave on June 28, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Ha. just wait till Chris Mathewws and kaegan and the wise Latina and Pelosi and Obama and all the liberals figure out that Roberts actually, ninja like, rolled back the commerce clause right in front of their eyes. What a sneaky brilliant conservative warrior Roberts is.

I guess ,by next week, when the left figures out that they’ve been had, we will see a rash of anti-Roberts articles.

btw Roberts was soo brilliant that that Alito,THomas and Scalia just couldn’t keep up —–or maybe they were in on it
…./tin foil falls off.

What happened? Oh man. That post didn’t make any sense.

BoxHead1 on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

*vomit inducing*

cmsinaz on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

…I suspect that Roberts wanted to uphold this mandate…

Seth Halpern on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Respectfully CONCUR.

But, I want to know why. The real reason.

Like he has a relative with a pre-existing condition.

LaserBeam on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

If Justice Roberts has any shame left in him,
he will resign effective immediately the day Romney is elected.

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

The decision was a gift to the Romney campaign. No two ways about it.

Go RBNY on June 28, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Sweet Chrissy has a new fantasy lover.

Pork-Chop on June 28, 2012 at 7:56 PM

Good God. I have to go take a shower now, after watching that.

RebeccaH on June 28, 2012 at 7:57 PM

If I ever find myself a defendant in a courtroom, I hope I have a judge like Roberts that will fix anything wrong with the defense my lawyer put together so he can then rule in my favor.

slickwillie2001 on June 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

If Justice Roberts has any shame sense left in him,
he will resign effective immediately the day Romney is elected would have voted with Anthony.Freakin.Kennedy.

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

FIFY

LaserBeam on June 28, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Roberts “finding” a way to fund Obamacare is like a crooked football ref. The halfback is about to go down, but before the knee touches, the ref grabs him and tosses him into the end zone.

Nice work Roberts. Touchdown Obummer!

KCsecurity1976 on June 28, 2012 at 7:59 PM

in November we will destroy them.
rob verdi on June 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Yes. We. Will. It’s work our butts off time or pay twice your premium costs in 2014.

txhsmom on June 28, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Well that would be nice, but Roberts (we’ve learned this week) is as timid as Obama. He would never admit to screwing something up. Better to run, hide, redirect or bloviate, than to face the music.

minnesoter on June 28, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Since the mandate is now officially a tax, doesn’t that make it easier to use reconciliation in the Senate to repeal it?

imasoulman on June 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Consider this:

Centrist squish Anthony Kennedy was a shining paragon of conservative jurisprudence on the same day John Roberts twisted logic like a pretzel and created a new liberal constitutional paradigm.

And, no one saw it coming.

Makes that whole alien invasion thing seem downright eventual.

LaserBeam on June 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

With all due respect to the previous poster:

Matthews is NOT a woman. Matthews is a pile of troll spore.

November 6, 2012 I’ll be casting my ROMNEY ballot with a VENGEANCE.

January 20th, 2013. I’ll be lifting a glass of champagne as I watch Obama take his LAST ride in a presidential helicopter, leaving the White House permanently.

I plan to think of Matthews, Pelosi and pals, when president ROMNEY signs the bill to REPEAL OBAMACARE!

Meanwhile, I’m writing my congressmen to get busy writing a bill to limit the definition and scope of any new ‘tax’.

thatsafactjack on June 28, 2012 at 8:03 PM

Let’s see, what might be in Pandora’s box?

“Sure, you can have an abortion, but you are going to have to pay a tax of $5,000 first. Don’t worry. The Supreme Court has ruled that we have the power to tax and it is not its job to pass judgment on the legitimacy or idiocy of a tax. Taxes, it posits, are political issues and your only recourse is at the ballot box. So, if you don’t like it, get your ID ready and vote us out.”

“Sure, you can burn that American flag, but you are going to have to pay a tax of $500,000 first. Don’t worry. The Supreme Court has ruled that we have the power to tax and it is not its job to pass judgment on the legitimacy or idiocy of a tax. Taxes, it posits, are political issues and your only recourse is at the ballot box. So, if you don’t like it, get your ID ready and vote us out.”

“Sure, you can assemble in front of the White House and Congress pursuant to your First Amendment right to petition the Federal government for redress of grievances, but you are going to pay a tax of $100,000 first. Don’t worry. The Supreme Court has ruled that we have the power to tax and it is not its job to pass judgment on the legitimacy or idiocy of a tax. Taxes, it posits, are political issues and your only recourse is at the ballot box. So, if you don’t like it, get your ID ready and vote us out.”

“Sure, you have a right to remain silent, but you are going to pay a tax of $25,000 first. Don’t worry. The Supreme Court has ruled that we have the power to tax and it is not its job to pass judgment on the legitimacy or idiocy of a tax. Taxes, it posits, are political issues and your only recourse is at the ballot box. So, if you don’t like it, get your ID ready and vote us out.”

“Sure, you have a right to remain counsel, a speedy trial, habeas corpus, and to be free from cruel and unusual punishment, but you are going to pay a tax of $2,500,000 before your asses evah see any of those. Don’t worry. The Supreme Court has ruled that we have the power to tax and it is not its job to pass judgment on the legitimacy or idiocy of a tax. Taxes, it posits, are political issues and your only recourse is at the ballot box. So, if you don’t like it, get your ID ready and vote us out.”

Champagne cork-popping time. What a precedent!

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Oops, in the preceding post, I was responding to:

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM

minnesoter on June 28, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Matthews is NOT a woman. Matthews is a pile of troll spore.

Female troll spore.

minnesoter on June 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Should we change the name of the McDonald’s Drive-Thru to something like “Tax Revenue Drop-Off Lane”?

Now, that the Court has ruled that paying corporations for products and services is a form of “taxation”…..

Why do the so-called “best and brightest” always get us into the worst situations (Vietnam, housing bubble, runaway deficits, credit default swaps, stock market crashes, etc.) and make complete asses of themselves (paying Blue Cross premiums = paying your taxes) then wonder why we are so critical of government and despise those in authority? Who the hell wants to be governed by a dunces rejected by the Confederacy and even Banana Republics and vanities…unworthy of any bonfire?

I’m with Buckley. I’d rather be governed by the first 300 names in the Boston phonebook than the current ruling “elite” and the faculty lounge of Harvard and Yale any day.

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Hey John Roberts,
why don’t you put on a tight t-shirt and a tighter pair of
hot-pants ( with the word sissy on the rear) and sing
” I got a crush on Obama” ,
You are new Obama girl John Roberrts , because that original bimbo has come to her senses

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 8:07 PM

O’Reilly explaining it all to the “folks” right now in an oversimplified and extremely inaccurate manner, as usual.

stldave on June 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

imasoulman on June 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

yes. 51 votes in the senate.

Wethal on June 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

How many years (months?) before we’re mandated to purchase gov’t approved items for the health of the planet now?

stldave on June 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

stldave on June 28, 2012 at 8:09 PM

So what is the spin by the no-spinner ?
It is a tax so shut up
or
we have to respect the 9 ?

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

AllahEyeore, gotta luv em.

The more I read and hear after this mornings ruling the more I believe this just might work to our advantage both in the short-term (big tax O’s defeat) and long-term (commerce clause limitations).

I need something to believe in right now.

Holder being held in Criminal Contempt is a day saver for sure.

D-fusit on June 28, 2012 at 8:12 PM

Appreciate it.

The f@#$ I will.

imasoulman on June 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM

Does it matter? You think McConnell & Co. have the sack to do anything remotely like that, even if we give them the numbers? Have they ever given an inkling of an iota of a scintilla of a hint that they might ever actually play to win?

Midas on June 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

Lawdawg86 on June 28, 2012 at 7:47 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

Thanks for the information. I’m with you on this.

Barred on June 28, 2012 at 8:24 PM

I wonder if Roberts even considered the facts that, not only is ObamaCare unConstitutional (or does our Constitution actually allow for the taxation of any and all individual actions and inactions?), but we, The People, have no money to pay for this behemoth. We cannot pay for the entitlement programs we have already — not to mention, with regard to the states, the lavish pensions that liberal politicians have bribed unionized public employees with over the past few decades.

Mr. Roberts: we cannot afford your hare-brained majority opinion. We cannot afford it financially, and we cannot afford it governmentally.

minnesoter on June 28, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Well, libs should get their chills up their legs while they can, because there’s a lot hidden in the Roberts decision that the libs don’t see yet. Lots. Heh.

petefrt on June 28, 2012 at 8:32 PM

HitNRun on June 28, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Beltway George Will penned an idiotic column today. He congratulates Roberts for moving the SCOTUS forward in the great debate about the role of government with the Left. As Mark Levin pointed out on his show today: he abandoned the Commerce Clause victory by betraying Kennedy, Scalia, Alito and Thomas and voting with the knee jerk Leftist bloc.

In effect Will is arguing that the 5 justice majority of presumed conservative jurists are an illegitimate majority bloc. Only a bloc of votes that includes the Left can be legitimate. Unreal!!!!!!

vilebody on June 28, 2012 at 8:34 PM

Midas on June 28, 2012 at 8:20 PM

You might be right, but this might make the difference between having the numbers and not having the numbers.

Likely scenario in November:
President: Republican
House: Republican
Senate: 51~59 Republicans

Before mandate was a tax: 60 votes in Senate required for repeal.
Now that mandate is a tax: 51 votes in Senate required for repeal.

That’s what I’m thinking.:)

imasoulman on June 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

So what is the spin by the no-spinner ?
It is a tax so shut up
or
we have to respect the 9 ?

burrata on June 28, 2012 at 8:11 PM

First, that we got in this place because the health insurers couldn’t hack it. End of story. No context of the environment health insurers have been operating in and the role government had in that. Nope, health insurers screwed up, end of story.

Also, he says this bill is going to be great for the poor but the rich are going to have to carry the bill for them. In reality, this bill might help some poor that couldn’t afford before, but it’s going to get a hell of a lot more expensive for all. You can’t increase the pool and increase the regulation, without doing a thing for supply of care, and expect anything else. Yes, it will be aggravating for the richest too, but they will absorb the cost much easier than the rest. No, the people that will get royally hosed by this is that middle class Obama constantly throws verbal bouquets to, and the poor that had coverage prior. It will absorb more and more of our disposable income, and leave little room for the things that might get an economy humming, and that will double ding the middle class and triple ding the poor, at least if they’re expecting state assistance long term, in an environment with a decreasing tax pool.

On top of that, as anybody who reads this blog regularly understands, you can’t soak the rich and come close to covering our obligations. To cover all this you’ll have to clobber the middle class as well, and there goes a little more of our income. Not only will we have to pay more to get the same coverage, we’ll have to pay more in taxes because of this bill as well….

And Bill O’Reilly thinks it’s adequate to say it’s just the rich that will be affected by this and the poor will benefit. Good Lord. I understand this isn’t something you can cover in any depth in a 5 minute segment, but you can at least get the broad strokes right.

stldave on June 28, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Cindy Munford on June 28, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Determining and effectively imposing a tax, CM, is the penultimate in judicial activism, and that Roberts was any part of it worries me to no end going forward. Until this, I had the utmost respect for him as a jurist, even when disagreeing here or there on his prior opinions. His reasoning and logic, even in those instances, were solid and unassailable. Here, however, I am non-plussed, shocked at his ruling.
I feel like I’m watching that 50′s movie, The Body Snatchers.

TXUS on June 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

IOW: The health insurers screwed up, so let’s pass a law that forces Americans to pay “taxes” to them. That’ll show ‘em!

**eyeroll**

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 8:44 PM

Mmmm… needs more steak sauce….

The Ugly American on June 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Roberts is a sellout same as Ben Nelson!

shov74 on June 28, 2012 at 8:51 PM

Well said.

John Sexton on June 28, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Old Chrissie is probably masturbating under his desk while giving his news. He couldn’t stand the tingle in his leg anymore and hehad to relieve himslf or he would just bust! He is still hoping to get that prized spot under Obummer’s desk!

Jersey Dan on June 28, 2012 at 11:32 PM

Can’t think of a worse reflection on your character than it being lauded by Chris Mathews.

bluesdoc70 on June 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Before mandate was a tax: 60 votes in Senate required for repeal.
Now that mandate is a tax: 51 votes in Senate required for repeal.
That’s what I’m thinking.:)
imasoulman on June 28, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Do we know this for sure? I think it might be more complicated than that, but I don’t know.

RedSoxNation on June 29, 2012 at 7:57 AM