Quotes of the day

posted at 10:45 pm on June 27, 2012 by Allahpundit

The Supreme Court’s healthcare ruling Thursday will deliver a definitive judgment on President Obama’s effectiveness as a leader

[P]recisely because of the scale of the [legislative] victory and its sweetness, its reversal in court on Thursday would be an especially bitter pill for the Obama camp to swallow…

“If this goes down, it reinforces the idea that he may be a very nice guy but he does not have the qualifications to be president,” [Ron Bonjean] said.

***

Mr. Obama has been doing more than sitting back and waiting. The president has three separate speeches prepared in anticipation of the ruling on his signature legislative achievement, a person familiar with them said.

One of the speeches addresses a complete overturn of the law, while another is crafted as if the court strikes down the law’s individual mandate but upholds other provisions. The third speech, for if the court upholds the entire law, is more celebratory, according to this person.

***

Let’s put all this in historical context. The Democratic party is the oldest existing political party in the entire world, and it was founded as a people’s party. Andrew Jackson’s veto message of a bill to recharter the Bank of the United States stands to this day as a kind of mission statement for the modern party…

The individual mandate is an overwhelmingly unpopular item that requires a patently unjust transfer of wealth for the purpose of paying off the interest groups that have the biggest financial stake in health care. Considered next to Jackson’s veto message: It is a signal that the Democratic party has become the opposite of what its founders intended to be. The individual mandate is a testimony to the broken nature of the modern party. It is a symbol that, despite their egalitarian rhetoric, contemporary Democrats are ready, willing, and able to bend the policy needle toward the interests of “the rich… and the potent,” at the expense of the “farmers, mechanics, and laborers.”

***

Mitt Romney reserved some of his harshest criticism of President Barack Obama’s health care reform law for the eve of the Supreme Court ruling that will decide its fate, labeling the law as “moral failure” by a president who chose to focus on healthcare, rather than jobs, at a time of national economic crisis.

“His policies were not focused on creating jobs. They were focused on implementing his liberal agenda. There’s nothing wrong with people having an agenda, but when the country’s in crisis, you have a moral responsibility to focus on helping people come out of that crisis,” Romney said at a rally here Wednesday evening. “It was not just bad policy; it was a moral failure to put forward a piece of legislation that wouldn’t help Americans get back to work, and to focus the energy of the White House on Obamacare.”

***

“I believe 6-3,” Pelosi told the Reuters Washington Summit on Wednesday…

“If you get Kennedy, I don’t think that Roberts would want it to look political” and oppose it, Pelosi said, alluding to the fact that Roberts has said he favors unanimity on his court…

Pelosi voiced confidence that the healthcare law she helped draft will meet any constitutional test. “It is ironclad. We didn’t do this off the back of our hand,” she said.

***

Becerra said the “worst outcome” would be a 5-4 decision, because “that will go, unfortunately, a long way [toward] confirming this growing belief in the gut of the American people that the Supreme Court no longer cares so much about the Constitution, it cares more about politics.”

Becerra added, “We should all take some time tonight to pray a little to make sure the Supreme Court doesn’t come out with another 5-4 decision which, once again, unmasks its political tendencies.”

***

When Democrats lose, however, they tend to place the blame a little higher. The Supreme Court is rigged. The election was stolen by Diebold voting machines. After John Kerry lost in 2004, Democrats snickered about an electoral map showing the “real America” being composed of the West Coast and Northeast. The rest of the map — the red states Bush carried — was dubbed “Jesusland.” The inference being that the real problem was with the American people.

All of which is why, facing the prospect of losing the Obamacare case, the left’s first instinct hasn’t been to blame a bad law. Or bad lawyering. Or even just bad luck. No, to the liberal mind there are no bad outcomes; only broken systems. (In the Washington Post, Jonathan Turley claimed the very possibility Obamacare might be struck down suggested we should rethink the structure of the high court. He proposes we start by installing 10 more justices.)

And so, later this week liberal Democrats will condemn the high court as a body no longer fit to adjudicate our nation’s laws. It will have to be reformed and remade before any American, anywhere, can sleep soundly.

***

[Ezra] Klein wrote this week of how the Right built a “permission structure” allowing conservative judges to rule the individual mandate unconstitutional.

Here’s the flip side of that story: liberal Strategic Epistemic Closure is all about dismantling any permission structure on the Right. For instance, get enough elites to dismiss an idea, and boom, it’s “discredited.” Get enough liberals to act shocked at a proposal, and you’ve made it “controversial.” Then pretend some objective standard has been met, and warn the media not to give credence to discredited or controversial ideas…

[A] permission structure has been built in the form of legal precedent — including many bad decisions by liberal judges — slowly making it possible for Washington to do what sounds absurd on its face: forcing us into intrastate commerce in the name of regulating interstate commerce.

***

It would be easy to criticize all this for its sheer unselfconscious lack of seriousness: These people are actually saying that any outcome except the one they want must be driven by an outcome-oriented political crusade. Only their view could result from an actual engagement with the question before the Court, and any other view could only be a function of corruption or of cynicism. It must be nice to be so enlightened…

This debate is indeed a political debate, in the best and highest sense. But that does not make it a cynical debate, or an illegitimate one. On the contrary. The apparent inability of many left-wing commentators to see that point tells us more than all their diatribes in recent days. Their anger about the very possibility that the Court might disagree with them about Obamacare suggests that they do not believe that there can be such a thing as a serious political debate — they take serious and political to be opposites. And it shows.

***

“My guess is they’re not sleeping real well at the White House tonight — that’s the way it ought to be,” Romney said of the pending decision during a campaign speech in Virginia…

Returning to his earlier remark, Romney predicted “there’s going to be a lot of sleepless nights in the White House in the next few months.”

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

Ann’s chosen sides.

Right about the time the 90 percent lie was unraveling, the Obama administration decided to directly hand thousands of American guns over to Mexican criminals. Apart from the fact that tracking thousands of guns into Mexico is not feasible or rational, the dumped guns didn’t have GPS tracing devices on them, anyway. There is no conceivable law enforcement objective to such a program.

Morning people. All right. I’m up. Someone get Roberts on the phone and let’s get this knocked out. I’ve got to get an anniversary present for my wife, and one for her girlfriend, and then I’ve got to pickup the McLaren from the detailers.

Someone kill that penguin.

I need coffee. I’m not sure I’m awake.

Anyone seen Ferguson?

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 7:46 AM

I see the nattering nabobs of negativism that have descended upon HA the last several days, haven’t awakened, yet.

kingsjester on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Bollywood song and dance. How bad is it when a grown woman orders a fairy tale flick at 3:30 AM? :-)

Maybe I need Mimosas instead of coffee. Any more of this nervewracking waiting and I’m gonna go completely over the edge! LOL

Grace_is_sufficient on June 28, 2012 at 7:07 AM

Grace_is_sufficient:Speaking of India,I will extend your nighmare
haha!:)
===========================

Barack O’bollywood
*******************

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 AM

GOODMORNING CREW:)

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Morning all. I’m distracting myself by watering my lawn before the 100 degree weather hits. Crappy timing for the lawn dude to fertilize the yard… Sheesh. But, my problems are very few and very small.

Thanks for the coffee/tea canopfor. You had it set out bright and early. My jitters this morning are not from the caffeine.

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 AM

kingsjester on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 AM

kingsjester:Good point,and awakened from da K00LAID as well!:)

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 7:46 AM

Ted c, we need some of whatever Axe is drinking today.

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 7:52 AM

Mimosas at breakfast canopfor?!?! dude.

i guess its got OJ in it. Probably do ok with a bloody mary with an arugala sprig in it.

ted c on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM

probably true Fallon—coffee first!

ted c on June 28, 2012 at 7:54 AM

I still can’t believe I scheduled a meeting (two weeks ago) for 10 am Eastern. Can’t change it now, though. Can someone polish off an extra mimosa for me? (I know I’m relatively new here but I’m just as nervous as everyone else.)

mrsknightley on June 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 7:38 AM

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 7:48 AM

Fallon:I hear ya,many,many threads of Hopey HealthCare we all
endured,and its going down I predict,and speaking of
heat,I’m about 500 miles from Toronto!:)

Toronto is officially under a heat alert – @CP24

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Ted c, we need some of whatever Axe is drinking today.

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 7:52 AM

:) — if I had a nickel …

You guys make a night of it?

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Morning Joe Jack*ssès,

**Heaven is for Suckers**!!!!

A-Holes!!

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Morning all…..
Omaha conservative
great news, guess the H/A prayer alert helped ………good deal………..;-)
Still in my prayers ………;)

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM

*nvm. (Still catching up.)

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM

That’s fine. But America has been trapped in a Nightmare on Pennsylvania Ave. for over three years now. I’m just hoping we can wake ourselves up.

Gladtobehere on June 28, 2012 at 7:31 AM

I’ve been clicking my heels for three years hoping to wake up in 1981.

TxAnn56 on June 28, 2012 at 7:33 AM

It would be nice to be 31 years younger for a time, while Obama would still be a pot-smoking member of the “Choom gang.” I wonder whether Obama will play some more golf this weekend.

Gladtobehere on June 28, 2012 at 7:59 AM

Mimosas at breakfast canopfor?!?! dude.

ted c on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM

ted c:Morning Ted,lol,no its straight tea,haha!!:)

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 8:01 AM

First!

Bright and early.

Today is going to be a good day.

Bishop on June 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Morning Canopfor
I see your Johnny on the spot, as usual, Thank You fine sir………;)

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Savannah Guthrie is Sh!tting her pants…

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM

mrsknightley on June 28, 2012 at 7:56 AM

We’re all in this together. *clink*

I have a Alzheimer’s “care meeting” scheduled for my mom this morning, too. Nothing I can do about it either.

Que sera, sera.

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Bishop on June 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM

cmsinaz on June 28, 2012 at 8:07 AM

… Canada, I think you put coffee in my medicinal whiskey, dude. Please try to remember that I’m a weak man, and that my nerves need to be buffered.

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:07 AM

First!

Bright and early.

Today is going to be a good day.

Bishop on June 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Bishop:Morning Bishop:)

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 8:08 AM

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Glad to hear your friend’s father appears to have turned the corner. We have to be grateful for all the little miracles that happen everyday.

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 8:09 AM

David Gregory is flipping his wig…

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Morning Canopfor
I see your Johnny on the spot, as usual, Thank You fine sir………;)

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 8:05 AM

angrymike:Morning,Thank-you,here to serve!:)

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Ugh. Time is just crawling this morning: 8:00…8:03…8:07…

Rational Thought on June 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

i guess its got OJ in it.

ted c on June 28, 2012 at 7:53 AM

I’m using that. I don’t know when, but any alcohol in the morning is going to get excused by “it’s got orange juice in it!” :)

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Thanks, but my friend is the father…

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Axe
You at it already….?????? ;-()

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:07 AM

Axe:Haha,keep it straight and on the bubble:)

canopfor on June 28, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Matt Lauer’s concern is noted…

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Bishop
Did that bus leave yet..???????……
Morning sir…..;)

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 8:12 AM

G’mornin” kids! The flowers are watered–100 degrees in the shade today. I’m going to go work out because I. Just. Can’t. Sit. Still.

I’ll be back shortly for mimosas, save one for me, please!

herm2416 on June 28, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

G’morn to you and everyone else.

I was thinking about you when I put this song up this morning.

Final Thoughts Before The Big Moment … Or, The Opening Shot Across The Bow In The Next Battle With Progressives

M2RB: Mayday Parade

(The post is the one from above). Anyhoo, I could just hear you saying, “You are sooooo weird…in a good sort of way. No, really, I mean it as a compliment!”

LOL!

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM

You at it already….?????? ;-()

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I have a bottle of cheap port parked in a holding pattern. :) I’m prepared if it comes down to it.

Am truly wound tight, though. I try to live half asleep — life is less shocking and the jokes are funnier. This is a wide awake morning though :)

Need to go water some plants like everyone else, I guess.

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM

We’re all in this together. *clink*

Bless you!

I think you put coffee in my medicinal whiskey, dude.

LOL.

If I were home today, it would probably be a screwdriver for me instead of a mimosa. No champagne till I knew I had reason to celebrate.

mrsknightley on June 28, 2012 at 8:20 AM

LOL!

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM

lol … it was a compliment.

Checking.

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:21 AM

Also, where the hell is the open thread? I’m even more nervous now.

mrsknightley on June 28, 2012 at 8:22 AM

Morning Resist……;)

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Reading this over at Scotusblog, it’s clear there is a very big area in which the Court can punt on the mandate — the Anti-Injunction Act, which says a tax cannot be challenged until it has gone into effect. This being an election year, and this being seen as such a political case, how likely is it they’ll refuse to rule on the mandate at all in favor of the AIA? I will throw myself off of a tall building if they kick this down the road.

Rational Thought on June 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM

*Clink*
To all…….;)
just coffee for me……….

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 8:26 AM

(how many times have we heard those 4 words over the last 4 years?)

MJBrutus on June 28, 2012 at 5:47 AM

I don’t believe all of us here combined have ennough fingers and toes for that count.

listens2glenn on June 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM

listens2glenn on June 28, 2012 at 8:27 AM

Morning, listens2glenn!

You ready?

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Thanks, but my friend is the father…

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Sorry, I got it confused. I have been thick as Tewkesbury mustard, lately. I’ll blame it on the heats. :)

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Let’s not forget that when Nancy Pelois paraded over to the House with the Congressional Black Caucus, carrying her outsize gavel in hand, rather than entering through the underground passage, she was visually tying Obamacare to race. The meme was set in case anyone objected to this legislative atrocity.

Good article by Jeffrey Lord about the “progressive’s” habit of demonizing opposition by using the twin cards of race and wealth.

onlineanalyst on June 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 8:33 AM

It’s all good. You’re praying, right? My AC is down too…

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Axe & Mike, wink!

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 8:19 AM

… the song reminded me of my favorite “pick-up line” — something I actually said once when I was at a low ebb:

“So, do you want to go out, or just skip to the part where you hate me and wish I were dead?”

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM

At work. The boss better not schedule any meetings at 9 Centeral.

kingsjester on June 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Where is the best place to buy a huge window AC for backup?

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Morning guys! Late to the party because I actually got a good nights sleep last night.I hope it is a sign. Anyone got the linky to the Scotus Blog, since I am not quite awake yet and am lazy?

txmomof6 on June 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

mrsknightley on June 28, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Txmomof6
Page 5,around 6:30 am Canopfor

angrymike on June 28, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Or the link I just posted at 8:43.

mrsknightley on June 28, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Where is the best place to buy a huge window AC for backup?

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

dunno how desperate you are … but you can buy a little one and staple a sheet over the door (make a curtain) and just cool the emergency cool-down zone. Actually did that once to get by, long long ago in a life far far away. :)

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Said a prayer.

I haven’t a clue the direction the court will go. But if the mandate is not struck down, I’m sure of the direction the country will go.

hawkdriver on June 28, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Where is the best place to buy a huge window AC for backup?

OmahaConservative on June 28, 2012 at 8:40 AM

If they’re in your area the big box stores, Lowes and Home Depot, have their prices online. We just bought two window units for daughter’s house. (She has a 100 year old house with no A/C at all.)

Fallon on June 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM

Reminds me of this exchange that I once had with a toff, who strutted up to me in a club, put his elbow on the bar, hand under his chin, looked at me with bedroom eyes under his moppy bangs, and said:

He: “How would you like your eggs in the morning?”

Me: “Unfertilised.”

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Me: “Unfertilised.”

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

LOL

Axe on June 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM

@Resist – BRILLIANT.

mrsknightley on June 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Axe & mrsknightley, it was quite a sight. You would have enjoyed the rapid deflation and ego implosion. The guys tending bar, who overheard the exchange, laughed so loudly it drew everyone’s attention.

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Wait, so now paying premiums to a private insurance company is a form of taxation, which makes Blue Cross part of the Federal government.

Welcome to Fascist America!

Resist We Much on June 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM

“George, the fact that you looked up Merriam’s Dictionary, the definition of tax increase, indicates to me that you’re stretching a little bit right now,” the president lectured, “Otherwise, you wouldn’t have gone to the dictionary to check on the definition… My critics say everything is a tax increase. My critics say that I’m taking over every sector of the economy. You know that. Look, we can have a legitimate debate about whether or not we’re going to have an individual mandate or not, but… I absolutely reject that notion (that the mandate penalty is a tax).”

Liar.