Rice says “No way” to veepstakes rumors

posted at 3:21 pm on June 26, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Is it 2004 again?  The last time we saw this much speculation over a spot on the GOP ticket for Condoleezza Rice, the incumbent President was in a dogfight with a wealthy Massachusetts politico seeking to unseat him.  Hey, maybe it is 2004!  After a “spectacular” appearance at a Mitt Romney donor conference this weekend, speculation erupted anew that the former Secretary of State and national-security adviser might make the short list in the GOP’s veepstakes.  Rice appeared on CBS This Morning and rejected the idea of being Mitt Romney’s running mate:

In an interview with “CBS This Morning,” the former Secretary of State said “there is no way that I will do this” when asked if she would accept a position as the number two on this year’s Republican presidential ticket.

“Charlie, I didn’t run for student council president. I don’t see myself in any way in elected office. I love policy. I’m not particularly fond of politics,” she told host Charlie Rose, adding that she thinks Romney has “terrific judgment.”

Pressed on whether she would turn it down if asked, she said, “I’m saying there is no way that I will do this, because it’s really not me. I know my strengths, and governor Romney needs to find someone who wants to run with him.”

“There are many people who will do it very, very well, and I’ll support the ticket,” she said.

The donor conference was widely considered a tryout for running-mate hopefuls, and most of the leading contenders made appearances. Under those circumstances, it’s easy to see why interest in Rice as a running mate would intensify … again.  Rice could have run in 2008 if she was interested in electoral politics, and perhaps could have even snagged the top spot.  Rice remains very popular within the GOP for her work on national security and foreign policy.  However, Rice has done nothing to build or strengthen an electoral support base, and hasn’t ever run for office.  Her inclusion at the conference was most likely a way for Romney to demonstrate his readiness on foreign affairs, and perhaps hint that Rice would participate in a significant way in a Romney administration.

Here is Rice’s full interview. She declines to go on full attack against Barack Obama on foreign policy, but responds that the US can’t “lead from behind,” a theme in Romney’s campaign as well.

Comments

I don’t think Condi would be the best option for Romney. I think our best bets are either Allen West or Jim DeMint– neither of whom are most likely on the short list. I think we have to be picky with a #2; making another “safe” pick will do for us exactly what it did in 2008.

NextGenerationVoters on June 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Not that Condi is necessarily a safe pick, but since she most likely won’t get the nod, I hope it’s not someone like Rob Portman or Tim Pawlenty. Both are too bland, especially since Romney isn’t exactly known for charisma.

NextGenerationVoters on June 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Rice would never be considered in the first place. Don’t you know that Romney is only comfortable around white people?

/s just in case :)

Mord on June 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Good.

On the plus side: She’s refreshingly honest.

The Debit Side: She would have been an awful pick. Better than Colin Powell, but that’s not saying much.

JFKY on June 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Has it ever been confirmed, that she voted for the Commie?

If so, that’s all I need to know about her.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

She was on Greta a night or two ago. Same old pumping for comprehensive immigration reform. Same old trick of combining legal and illegal immigrants under one heading. I really dislike her politics and she is political, regardless of what she claims.

a capella on June 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Then we both agree.

Oil Can on June 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

She is classy, but she f**ked up handling N. Korea big time. Taking them off the state-sponsored terror list was beyond stupid.

Bitter Clinger on June 26, 2012 at 3:28 PM

given the state of our “fair and balanced” media, I think certain people will be more effective outside the executive office…I like Condi a lot, I like Palin, I like Paul Ryan. They are all much better for everybody if they continue to do what they are doing.

teejk on June 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Condi Rice is a social liberal, not exactly someone who will get the grass roots excited (in a positive way).

bw222 on June 26, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Good.

MelonCollie on June 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Good. Secretaries of State makes lousy executives.

Rocks on June 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

NextGenerationVoters on June 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Sarah Palin was a “safe” pick?

joejm65 on June 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

NextGenerationVoters on June 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Surely you aren’t saying Sarah Palin was a “safe” pick, are you?

That would have been T-Paw, or Romney himself.

Brian1972 on June 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Condi would allow Obama to continue blaming Bush. Best to move on.

Zaggs on June 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Jindal.

stout77 on June 26, 2012 at 3:31 PM

I’m not a big Condi fan, so this suits me fine.

DRayRaven on June 26, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Oh geez. Here we go.

Flora Duh on June 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I love her but she would have played into Axelrod’s “going back” attack.

Marcus on June 26, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I think she’d make an excellent executive, but she never seemed to like politics or have much of a taste for campaigning. So, I never thought she would seriously consider the spot.

changer1701 on June 26, 2012 at 3:37 PM

And if asked, she’ll do it in a minute.
To win the presidency you have to inspire….or have someone do it for you. Romney will never inspire enthusiasm and no, boring isn’t the new exciting.
As Romney was giving his speech to the latino group the other day I was picturing Pawlenty or Portman behind him and felt a wave of dread wash over me. Why Romney would gamble the Presidency by doubling down on dull is inexplicable. Is he really that insecure that his pick has to make him look exciting by comparison?
Many here think Obama alone will ensure an electrified base but without someone to rally behind, volunteers will be few and far between.

RUBIO
RICE
JINDAL

AmeriCuda on June 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Good. We need her on deck for her dream job, which is to become Commissioner of the NFL.

She might get the job sooner than she thinks, the way the current douchebag Roger Goodell is screwing things up. Dude has at least 3/4 of the rest of the league ticked off at him right for one grievance or another.

Del Dolemonte on June 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

NextGenerationVoters on June 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Sarah Palin was a “safe” pick?

joejm65 on June 26, 2012 at 3:30 PM

No no no– not saying Palin was safe. I was talking about McCain. Might not be the best comparison to who Romney should choose as VP, but no I don’t think Palin was safe.

NextGenerationVoters on June 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I am not picking any fights with anyone with criticisms of Condi, but we can give a big “thank you” (sarc tag) to the unhinged left. Very qualified people do not want anything to do with being throw into the midst of a presidential campaign, especially if you are a woman, a minority, and are going to have an R next to your name.

mwbri on June 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Not going to happen. Regardless of her politics, too close to President George W. Bush, too easy to associate her with him. Governor Romney doesn’t want to talk about the former president.

slickwillie2001 on June 26, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Del Dolemonte on June 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Now, that would be awesome…

Fallon on June 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

How about Colon Bowel ?
I’m sure he will be a good veepick for Romney ;-)
**ducks**

burrata on June 26, 2012 at 3:40 PM

She’s not an attack dog, which is one of the VP candidate’s important jobs.

Curtiss on June 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Good riddance, with no regrets whatsoever. Condi’s meddling in Israel’s affairs during Bush administration was an unmitigated disaster that literally turned bloody. Her legs look so much better than her ideas or her perspectives with black voters.

Archivarix on June 26, 2012 at 3:44 PM

I remember her apologizing profusely about one of our soldier’s mistreating of “The Holy Koran” and saying how much we respect “The Holy Koran” during the Iraq mission.

Good thing she wants to stay retired from the fray since she doesn’t understand the stakes.

And it’s just “The Koran“, Ms. Rice. “Holy” is not in its title.

Unholy is more what the book contains, but then you wouldn’t know that, having never bother to open a “Holy Koran“, right Condi?

profitsbeard on June 26, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Good! She was oe of GWB’s biggest mistakes.

JannyMae on June 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Great news. Next.

Mr. Arrogant on June 26, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I’ll support the ticket,” she said.

Unlike in 2008, when skin color mattered more than country, eh Condi?

AZCoyote on June 26, 2012 at 3:48 PM

RUBIO
RICE
JINDAL

AmeriCuda on June 26, 2012 at 3:38 PM

A resounding “Hell No!” for constitutionally-ineligible NOLA sponsor and immigration squish. Rubio might be good for the Senate where everything is about “compromise” but as Romney’s VP, he sucks. In fact, he sucks so much that I’ll likely vote for the third party while voting straight ‘R’ down the ticket.

Archivarix on June 26, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I think Rice would bring a lot to the Romney campaign.

A Secretary of State has experience with both foreign policy and Washington. So she would be a particularly effective fit for a businessman/ Governor.

The public knows her, so there will be less questions about whether she’s qualified for the office. She’s good at interviews and debates.

And when suggesting that the first African American President does not deserve a second term, it is advantageous to have a qualified African American woman on the ticket.

Mister Mets on June 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

Last night on Greta she was disgusting on the Muzzie Brotherhood and amnesty.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM

She’s never run for anything! And she ties Romney to BUSH…..and her “foreign policy” experience may not be a plus, to many in the GOP.

She’s never run for anything. Is she a l3sbian? Does she support Affirmative Action? How about Gun Control? Where is her stand on Abortion? Look she was a Cabinet Secretary, that means she was “vetted” but she has never had to face the public scrutiny that she is going to face or the range of questions she is going to face. She’s been National Security/Foreign Policy and no one really cared what her view of the Terry Schiavo case was or what her stand on ObamaCare was/is or whether she thought Citizens United was a good or bad decision, but they will now…and who knows what her positions are?

So we’ll pander, now….and still not crack 10% of the Black vote.

JFKY on June 26, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Eh… Can we stop looking in W’s administration? Just pick Jindal and be done with it….

PA Guy on June 26, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Is it 2004 again?

Nah, it’s 1980.

Condi R. will vote for Obama, highly likely…

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Great. Thanks for playing.

Jindal or Ryan, please.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on June 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

You should be in friggin’ prison, anyway.

LizardLips on June 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

Jindal or Ryan, please.

ICanSeeNovFromMyHouse on June 26, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Abby Adams on June 26, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Last night on Greta she was disgusting on the Muzzie Brotherhood and amnesty.

Schadenfreude on June 26, 2012 at 3:57 PM

She has always been Colin Powell in a skirt !

burrata on June 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You should be in friggin’ prison, anyway.
LizardLips on June 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

I’m puzzle-ated by this statement…Condi Rice should be in prison? I must have missed her episode on “Cops,” please enlighten as to her crime(s).

JFKY on June 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Rice is a big government Republican. She doesn’t even hide it. She is at best–at best–a centrist.

Why does she get any support from conservatives?

Nessuno on June 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

This entire conversation is odd / funny – Romney was NEVER, EVER under ANY circumstances going to make the offer to Condi – but now it’s news because she says she wldn’t accept an offer that was never going to come?

InVinoVeritas on June 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I agree that choosing her just to get black votes is useless pandering. Most of the blacks that voted for him in 2008 will do so again just because of race– and that’s something that frankly we don’t need to get in middle of…we’re called racists enough.

But this…

Mister Mets on June 26, 2012 at 3:51 PM

If we’re going for having a qualified African-American on the ticket, I’d rather have a retired Army Lt. Colonel who happens to be from a very swing-y swing state…AKA, Allen West :)

NextGenerationVoters on June 26, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Dr. Rice is a squish. She is clueless on the Middle East, pro choice, and for amnesty.

RedRobin145 on June 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Good, Mitt doesn’t need a piano player.

chango butt on June 26, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Nice lady, but a social liberal. No thanks.

Stoic Patriot on June 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM

she proves right there that she’s too smart for it. “I’m particularly fond of politics”. No matter where she falls on specific issues.

kirkill on June 26, 2012 at 4:20 PM

I’m NOT particularly fond of politics…sheesh, where’s that edit button!

kirkill on June 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Good, Mitt doesn’t need a piano player.

And what do you have against piano players, true he needs a bassist and drummer, more.

JFKY on June 26, 2012 at 4:21 PM

If I was going to be a national leader, I’d be glad to have Ms Rice as one of my advisers. She’s too good to waste in the VP slot and, as she says, she’s not really the kind of person who’s strong in politicking. Having said that, I think she’d be a much better president than some who have tried to get the job or actually got the job.

YiZhangZhe on June 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Is she a natural born citizen?

connertown on June 26, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Good. I wouldn’t want her as VP anyway.

chelie on June 26, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I am not particularly fond of Bush era retreads so this works good. I don’t even want to see any of them being mentioned or talking at all. Rice was overrated by lots of folks on “our side” for some reason. She would be demolished in a political campaign.

echosyst on June 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Why does she get any support from conservatives?

Nessuno on June 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Ms Rice is less than ideal but she is also intelligent, patriotic, informed, articulate, educated, strong-willed, rational, respectful, respectable, tactful, classy, humble and experienced in matters of government … and those are all qualities that would be welcome in any holder of high office.

Compared to perfection, Ms Rice is a poor choice for high office. Compared to the present incumbent of the WH and some other possible candidates for POTUS or VPOTUS she would be an excellent choice.

YiZhangZhe on June 26, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Good! She is a disaster. I doubt that Mitt would have ever considered her, but I’m glad that it’s no longer even a question.

MJBrutus on June 26, 2012 at 4:41 PM

I vote for Ted Nugent for VP or Speaker.

Mr. Arrogant on June 26, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Still with 0 ?

Bmore on June 26, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I probably like her even better with this admission that she isn’t found of politics. No sane person should be.

Esthier on June 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Hmmmm….. wonder why CBS big gun Charlie Rose pressed her for a clear retractable “NO” that she was not interested in the #2 spot ?

Axelfraud just breathed a huge sigh of relief and her position just saved millions of liberals from soiling their panties.

I still say- if Hillary is out their lurking in September and Biddie brains decides to retire his VP job- and Ocommie is behind in polling..

This Gal is the only hope Romney would have to counter the Hillary.

(Not that Pawlenty or Portman couldn’t take her on)/s

FlaMurph on June 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Condi has her strengths. She was a good NSA. Her and GW were a good team together. The personnel at State let her down. [Another Department that needs to be filled with effective people, not who's there now.]

She can help, but not as VP.

NaCly dog on June 26, 2012 at 5:02 PM

Dick Cheney’s got a new heart. He rested, tanned, and ready. The Warc*ck as VP.

NaCly dog on June 26, 2012 at 5:03 PM

You should be in friggin’ prison, anyway.

LizardLips on June 26, 2012 at 4:02 PM

JFKY on June 26, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Let me guess, the claim is that she’s a War Criminal perhaps?

From warcriminalswatch.org:

War crime charge(s):

Crime against peace – planning and carrying out a war of aggression.

Complicity in the commission of a war crime – wanton destruction of cities and villages, devastation not justified by military necessity, ill-treatment of civilian population of or in occupied territory.

Complicity in the commission of a war crime – torture, ill-treatment of detainees.

O’bama Voter Colon Powell is there too. Same charges.

And Nancy Pelosi also has her own War Criminal Page

But they give O’bama a pass. Wonder why?

Del Dolemonte on June 26, 2012 at 5:07 PM

She’s not an attack dog, which is one of the VP candidate’s important jobs.

Curtiss on June 26, 2012 at 3:41 PM

yup…Biden is one of those!!! (he attacks the foot in his mouth…how many feet does that guy have???).

teejk on June 26, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Esthier on June 26, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Agree- why do people think lying career politicians make the best leaders ? Because of their campaign promises ?

What’s congress’ approval rating again with the folks in America ?

FlaMurph on June 26, 2012 at 5:14 PM

What a relief. Now that’s one less thing to worry about, and with Thursday looming, there’s more than enough on the worry plate as it is.

pannw on June 26, 2012 at 5:37 PM

“I’m not particularly fond of politics.”

Thank god.

Dante on June 26, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I want someone of great character and integrity in the highest offices. Condi fits that bill. Mud does not stick to such persons, and they will do what is right. I also believe she is someone that America can be proud of in dealing with the outside world.

I think she is honest about her ambitions, and seeking elected office is not one of them. Too bad.

So, that leaves me with:

Ryan
Rubio
Jindal
Walker
Christie

In that order. Walker would be at the top if he did not have a commitment to honor with Wisconsin voters. The guy is phenomenal. All of the things that I see in Rice, and solidly conservative.

TheMagnanimousMan on June 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM

Why does she get any support from conservatives?

Nessuno on June 26, 2012 at 4:09 PM

I don’t know if she’s a big-government Republican. How do you know that? Besides foreign policy, I think it’s very hard to judge Rice’s political inclinations. She must be right-wing on some stuff, otherwise she’d be a Democrat – she’s isn’t hawkish enough on foreign policy to be a single-issue modern Republican – but I really have no idea. I’m pretty sure she isn’t a small government conservative, but I have no idea where exactly she falls in the spectrum.

Anyway, I think it’s nice to have her endorsing Romney and serving as a surrogate.

joana on June 26, 2012 at 6:27 PM

TheMagnanimousMan on June 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM

This VP slot is a dead ender for whomever.

And its not a Romney Co-Presidency position, as some are convincing themselves it is.

If Romney wins in Nov. – the VP gets 4 years as an understudy. In 2016, say Hillary runs and Team Mitt has not produced- Uh-OH, back to the Dems go the voters- and Romney’s VP will be tainted going forward as a loser. 2020 will see stronger Rep primary candidates than the tainted VP can handle – who are free of any assumed Romney Admin. baggage, LSM inspired propaganda.

Nutshell: Unless Romney turns out to be Reagan II – this VP will have a shortened political career. Don’t waste (sacrifice) a promising young Republican for an impulse.

FlaMurph on June 26, 2012 at 6:39 PM

She was a loser under Bush. Why would anyone sane be interested in her?

FactsofLife on June 26, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Good, she’s ok with advice but was a disaster at her first management position (Sec of State).

jarodea on June 26, 2012 at 7:17 PM

Romney should stay away from Bush’s left-overs.

Pork-Chop on June 26, 2012 at 8:00 PM

Haven’t read previous comments so maybe someone else has pointed this out…BUT:

Condoleezza Rice ALSO SAID that “one of the biggest regrets (she has from her participation in the Bush Administration)” was that “we didn’t pass comprehensive immigration reform.”

She illustrated her incentive to “pass” such by citing various genius people from other countries who study at Stanford who then complain to her (as she administers Stanford) about “having to go home” “having to leave” after they’ve completed various genius accomplishments at Stanford. Rice implied her emotional complaints about seeing them “having to go” and wondered, rhetorically, “why”.

They’re geniuses, after all, better than our own population… (that last sentence, I added sarcastically).

For someone so intelligent and well spoken, I often find myself wondering about what Condoleezza Rice is about. BECAUSE, for starters there, this one complaint she made (genius foreigners studying at Stanford, “having to go home” afterward):

THEY APPLIED AS CITIZENS OF OTHER NATIONS, THEY ARRIVED AS SUCH, STANFORD ACCEPTED THEM AS SUCH, CONDITIONS MET AND FULFILLED WHEN THEY GRADUATE.

**THUS** there is NO MYSTERY NOR SURPRISE when they “have to go home” after performing as geniuses at genius-school Stanford.

For someone who claims she doesn’t want to “re-enter politics,” Condoleezza Rice sure does understand how to speak-political when making dense statements to the public is necessary to do that.

Lourdes on June 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM

She’s also pro-choice. That means she thinks abortion is an OK option for those “unwanted” human beings.

She spoke somewhat oddly supportive, also, yesterday on Fox about the Muslim Brotherhood’s election victory in Egypt.

I think Condoleezza Rice is an intelligent person of generally good taste and all those things but she maintains a certain “strata” of beliefs and assumptions that represent an arrogance and undermining of others that I find inherently untrustworthy about her. In all due respect.

Lourdes on June 26, 2012 at 8:05 PM

This Gal is the only hope Romney would have to counter the Hillary.

(Not that Pawlenty or Portman couldn’t take her on)/s

FlaMurph on June 26, 2012 at 4:55 PM

We don’t need any “whatever the Democrats do, we should do but do it in our own way” way of thinking.

They’re Democrats. Hillary, George Clooney, whatever. They’ll always be manipulating gullible people to ensnare and mislead.

We, the GOP, the Right and in this case, Romney as President, need to make our choices and determine our way based upon our reasons, OTHER THAN in reference to the Democrats.

I’d be really, really, realllllly suprised if Romney selected Condoleezza Rice as V.P. and everything Romney has gained by steering to the Middle would be cancelled out by her, who is a social liberal and mysteriously associated with the GOP accordingly.

Jeb Bush’s reach runs extensive, apparently, in the GOP and I don’t agree with the goals shared by those associated: they always default to “comprehensive immigration reform” (some rendition or another of amnesty for illegal aliens, relatives, “brown people” and just about no one who isn’t — in other words, this amnesty issue ALWAYS is associated with ethnicity and race). I also think that, despite Karl Rove’s genius, that he carries a tad too much of those goals along with him.

Rice, Jeb Bush, Rove, Rubio, Barbour, Hucklebee, Powell and a few more…they continue to push Left and it isn’t, generally, where the voters want to go.

Romney should be working to build and maintain trust with a newer approach and that isn’t to try and refresh the Bush era or personnel.

Lourdes on June 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM

…Jindal…!!!

KOOLAID2 on June 26, 2012 at 9:30 PM

She has lived with a woman for years but no one talks about it. She knows she could never run for office for that reason, otherwise I think she would. Personally I’ve never been impressed, I always thought she was an academic that Bush happened to like because she was such a yes-man to him (not an insinuation on her sexual preference, lol).

kg598301 on June 26, 2012 at 9:42 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on June 26, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Don’t know who she voted for but she is on record as saying she does not believe Obama would do anything that wasn’t in America’s interest.

Cleombrotus on June 26, 2012 at 11:02 PM

They’re Democrats. Hillary, George Clooney, whatever.

Lourdes on June 26, 2012 at 8:21 PM

My point was that if Obummer continued to slide throughout the summer – and after an RNC bump in Tampa- If he needed a silver bullet to survive- that bullet would be named Hillary.
You have to be in deep denial if you think that’s not a game over. In that scenario you can see how that “experience hammer” will pound the crap out of team Super Mitt.

It’s a long shot – but Palin scared the crap out of those liberal Marxists- so don’t think the Demonrats wouldn’t copy the Rs convention surprise with Hillary. Hillary would own Jindal or Tpaw or…..any of the above.

And their convention is after Romney’s.

FlaMurph on June 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

FlaMurph on June 26, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I think you are greatly underestimating the Right’s dedication to win this November. And that includes underestimating Romney and campaign to do that along with the rest of us.

Lourdes on June 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Lourdes on June 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Well, she’s got a point there…the point being instead of getting in a bunch of dumb, illiterate Mexicans (and we seem to be doing it consistently :( who don’t even bother to speak Englsh (or don’t have the intellectual ability to do it), better get these people in, who are obviously smart and educated (the Stanford types she mentions), not as in guarantee them anything, but as in let them apply for jobs they are more than qualify for, see the HB1 visa, etc…And I can guarantee you that – were they ever to get naturalized here, in the long run they woldn’t be your average low information obama (or whatever generic Dim) voter, like our southern amigos and the hordes of plantation moochers…It’s what Canada did (wonder why they were not so invaded by our southerner neighbor types), they had very tough immigration programs whereby only the higly skilled were admitted, also they were required to show proof that they can support themselves and their families upon arrival in canada (until they get effectively into the labour market), so, no ‘goodies’ /benefits guaranteed….This is why I don’t think Condi was being snobbish or arrogant with her ‘geniuses’ comment, rather she displayed a healthy dose of pragmatism, better the ‘geniuses’ who will no doubt be able to support themselves and their families here, and possibly benefit our country with their skills, than the potential moochers from the south…at least thisis how I read it…and her residing currently in my state – am sure she knows a thing or two anout the latter :)….

jimver on June 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Whew.

AshleyTKing on June 27, 2012 at 2:43 AM

Lourdes on June 27, 2012 at 12:41 AM

Hey- I’m a Mittbot – guilty as charged – and he is the only hope we have. As much as 2010 was a success…. the stakes are alot different for 40-50 million people who depend of government daily.

The dems are playing rope a dope right now. The big guns will hit in August.
F&F wont even make news by then. Obamacare scare should be gone. The demonrats wll be the etch-a-sketch wipe the slate clean campaign and it will be a new and improved Ocommie running. Romney’s VP better have something for a national election- or it will just be Mitt.
Pawlenty? omg ugh.

FlaMurph on June 27, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Important to note that as soon as Romney picked Ms. Rice the left press would accuse him of pandering tot he black vote, despite the fact that she is unquestionably qualified. Second, at the moment Romney doesn’t see the need to swing for the fences with his VP selection because the Prez is self-destructing. I am much afraid that Romney will pick someone “safe” which means a Portman or Pawaltney. Neither one inspires any confidence in me, nor does Romney. Romney may yet snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. I will probably vote for Johnson. This is what happens when the Republicans stick to the tradition of going with the next man in line.

georgeofthedesert on June 27, 2012 at 4:34 PM