Quotes of the day

posted at 8:01 pm on June 24, 2012 by Allahpundit

With the Supreme Court likely to render judgment on President Obama’s health care law this week, the White House and Congress find themselves in a position that many advocates of the legislation once considered almost unimaginable.

In passing the law two years ago, Democrats entertained little doubt that it was constitutional. The White House held a conference call to tell reporters that any legal challenge, as one Obama aide put it, “will eventually fail and shouldn’t be given too much credence in the press.”…

“It led to some people taking it too lightly,” said a Congressional lawyer who like others involved in drafting the law declined to be identified before the ruling. “It shouldn’t strike anybody as a close call,” the lawyer added, but “given where we are now, do I wish we had focused even more on this? I guess I would say yes.”…

Adversaries said the law’s proponents had been too attentive to liberal academics who shaped public discussion. “There’s very little diversity in the legal academy among law professors,” said Randy E. Barnett, a Georgetown University law professor and a leading thinker behind the challenge. “So they’re in an echo chamber listening to people who agree with them.”

***

Some prominent legal scholars say a series of tactical decisions by President Obama’s legal team may have hurt the chances of saving his landmark health-care legislation from being gutted by Supreme Court conservatives…

Obama, a former constitutional law instructor, and White House lawyers helped shape a legal strategy essentially portraying health care as a unique marketplace that Congress, under the Constitution’s interstate commerce clause, could regulate by imposing the requirement that consumers buy insurance before receiving treatment or pay a penalty…

The critics say the administration failed to fully develop arguments tailored to the court’s conservative members, who often look to the original intentions of the Founding Fathers for guidance. The critics represent a small but influential group of scholars who believe that this “originalist” thinking — typically dismissed by the left as outmoded and dangerous to modern precedents such as the Roe v. Wade abortion ruling — could be used effectively to defend liberal laws. Some say that Obama, who has criticized the originalist view, and lawyers in his administration may have decided for ideological reasons to steer clear of a conservative-seeming argument — a suggestion deemed absurd by administration officials.

***

[E]ven if the White House is a fortress of message discipline, it cannot disguise the potential heartbreak for Mr. Obama, who managed to achieve a decades-old Democratic dream despite long odds and at steep cost.

If he loses both his law and re-election, many will conclude “that he bet on his major reform, and the Supreme Court defeated it, and he lost his hold on the presidency,” Robert Dallek, the presidential historian, said in an interview…

As the brutal fight continued, the president sacrificed more and more in its name: an overhaul of energy and environmental laws, greater focus on economic issues, some of his own popularity and that of House Democrats, who eventually lost their hard-won majority. “Michelle and I are perfectly comfortable if we’re only here one term if we feel like we really accomplished something,” he told aides…

If the court strikes down the mandate and Mr. Obama wins in November, he could face one last version of his perpetual choice on health care: would he settle, learning to live with a sharply edited law? (Given that Republicans see the bill as a signature piece of big-government overreach, he might have no choice.) Or would he expend yet more precious capital on health care?

***

But the fact is that if the mandate falls next week, nothing will happen. Then the next week, nothing will happen. Nothing again the week after that, and nothing will continue to happen for the next 70 weeks, which is roughly when the bulk of the law takes effect. In the meantime, Congress can do something, or it can do nothing, Democratically controlled states can step in, or not. If lawmakers move aggressively and fix it in advance, great. If they don’t and then in 2014 the reforms start to wobble, Congress will do something, or a lot of states will pass their own laws to broaden the risk pools, and things will settle down. That’s my hunch at least — that if the policy becomes unsustainable, then the politics of not fixing it will be unsustainable too.

Presumably that’s why President Obama’s telling his supporters he might have to “revisit” health care in his second term, rather than, say, in the middle of the campaign, when he’ll probably want to avoid using the word “mandate” altogether. If he loses, then of course the mandate’s probably dead. But in that case, it stands to reason that the mandate and much of the rest of the law will vanish anyway, regardless of what the Court does. Which I guess is a long way of saying there’s an appeal to both approaches but it’s the sort of problem that, perhaps inelegantly, will eventually solve itself.

***

I expect, as I think most of us do, an unfriendly decision (from the Democratic point of view) on the health-care law. Can’t yet say how unfriendly; at the very least, an overturning of the individual mandate, and maybe more. Assuming that’s correct, the question immediately becomes how the president and the Democrats should respond. There’s very little they can do legislatively. But I’ll be watching for rhetoric, tone, even body language. And on those counts, they had damn well better dispense with the usual liberal woe-is-me hand-wringing and shoulder slumping and come out swinging. They had better communicate to their base that they stand for something, it’s important to them, and they’re pissed. And if they do it the right way, they can make the Supreme Court an issue this fall in a way that might even persuade some swing voters that the court overstepped its bounds. I’d go so far as to say that an aggressive response can reset and reframe the whole health-care debate, once Americans have had their minds focused on this by a blatantly partisan court…

[Obama] needs to stand up there and get mad. The law may be unpopular, but he and the Democrats are stuck with it, and being stuck with it, they need to stick by it. Almost never before in American history has a Supreme Court taken a law duly passed by the people’s representatives and in just two years’ time invalidated it. If that isn’t legislating from the bench, what is? Mr. Cool needs to get Hot. Against unanimous and ferocious opposition, and in the face of blatant lies about what this bill would and would not do, he and the Democrats came up with a way for people with cancer and diabetes and what have you to get the treatment they need and not be either turned away or gouged. He’s proud of that, he ought to say, and by God, he’s going to fight for it. That provision of the law is wildly popular—85 percent supported that, in a late-March New York Times survey. If you can’t play offense with 85 percent of the people behind you, I give up.

***

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

***

Via Mediaite.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 5 6 7 8 9

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Another racist who projects that all conservatives are racists. Ho-hum.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Some people seem constitutional incapable of accepting who and what they are, and need to objectify others in negative terms in order to justify to themselves that they are ok, that do that by proclaiming their own moral and ethical superiority. In psychological parlance, it’s a tell that they are not comfortable in their own skin.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Dude… That is Chaos theory. Chaos theory basically postulated that their is no such thing as random disorder, but that everything is defined as random according to the reference point from which it is observed. Change the point of reference that it’s observed from and the order becomes obvious.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM

You’re really addressing two different concepts, here. There is sensitive dependence on initial conditions (which leads to the unpredictability of some dynamical systems) and the idea of fractional dimension (which involves the concept of scale affecting measurement, roughly speaking). But you need a whole framework of mathematics built before you can define such concepts rigorously.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:03 AM

That’s the theory. The idea that there exists a mathematical model that translates perfectly to physical reality (it would be a first) is what I find quite unbelievable. It would seem to violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics – such perfection in randomness – though that’s only an intuitive feeling of mine (and intuition can be dangerous in these instances). But, I can’t help it. That’s how I feel about that. There’s always friction in reality and pure randomness seems a bit of a monster that could never be physically realized. But … if it did exist, then at least we could generate true unordered sets (which I also doubt :) since an unordered set is just a collection for which one can only randomly get elements out of.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM

He’s OUR kid!

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM

You do make a point!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Kool, it’s actually a funny little read.

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:06 AM

…I must not have read through that whole thread…called you a buffoon and started fencing with the new aesthetic…and some of the other regulars comments?…It’s a wonder the guy doesn’t have to pee sitting down!

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Does anyone know any happy Lefties?

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I don’t even know any sane ones.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

the sad truth is that the Media’s Treatment of Nixon and Watergate was Simple Payback for Algir Hiss.

jaydee_007 on June 25, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Isn’t that the truth.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

From your response above, it seems that you are placing your faith in scholars whose fundamental axiom is that the Bible is myth.

AZfederalist on June 25, 2012 at 1:50 AM

You have to be able to separate history from myth. Many parts of the Old Testament are history of the Jewish people. Other parts, such as the trials of Job, Adam and Eve, Cain and Abel, Samson — these are myths. The thing is, I don’t consider myth to be a dirty word. Myths can often be truer than truth.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:04 AM

So would you consider Noah and the Flood to be a Myth?

jaydee_007 on June 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Dire Straits,QOTD song. Judgement..

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:19 AM

You make a very good point!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

. He’s OUR kid!

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM

I like unseen and hope he will increase his commenting. His disappoint was heartbreaking.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM

Ok… The physics stuff I get, (5 years of physics kind of helps) but your getting way over my head with this stuff. I never was a pure mathematician, just a lowly physics geek… ;p

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Does anyone know any happy Lefties?

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:17 AM

I know some happy ones. I’m not sure why but being neurotic seems to work for them.

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

So would you consider Noah and the Flood to be a Myth?

jaydee_007 on June 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Yes. There was a “flood” of Flood Myths coming out of the region at the time. The Ur civilization had a flood myth at the same time, for example. Something catastrophic did happen, it would appear. Do I think that Noah gathered every flippin’ animal and bug and mold and virus on the planet by a single pair on a boat in order to recreate all of the earth? No, I do not.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

But the set within which any two things might be said to be ordered, the aggregate, is always a larger frame of reference. A thing is not intrinsically ordered. It’s only ordered because the “exterior” frame of reference says it is.

In set theory, there is no order to the elements. It’s a very important part of set theory. But everything we see is always ordered, to some extent because rational thinking requires order, itself.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 25, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I’d love to argue some of this out with you, but I’m going to drop it because you opened my eyes to a couple of problems I knew existed but could never understand why. I completely misconstrued one or two fundamental ideas. The logic didn’t work — not yours, theirs — and it still doesn’t — but at least now I can understand their arguments.

They weren’t even talking about what I thought they were talking about. How weird.

I have to go rethink …

Man, I’m so glad you chirped up. :)

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 2:26 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Insane and grouchy is not way to go through life.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:26 AM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 25, 2012 at 1:50 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM

ALSO what I was expressing => Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 1:46 AM.

When we define God with or by human quantification and qualification, we limit or “redefine God with limitations” by doing so. He then becomes not God but idol or phantom or fantasy at it’s most elaborate, and not Divine and One.

So I believe in the Bible as God’s Word, that it is what it is, to be honored and believed as it is, but I also think that we through human minds and eyes cannot perceive (or “see the face of GOD”) while here we are, that our ability to perceive God, or define Him, is, as humans, an extremely limited scale (or “reference point”) from which to “measure God”.

Which leads me to conclude that whatever God defines as “a day” is not our human day, returning to that part, that 24 hours just may be such a brief moment in time to God, if God even observes time and I wonder if we still don’t even understand that, either.

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Neurotic can be interesting!

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM

nsane and grouchy is not way to go through life.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:26 AM

Agreed. The problem is, you can’t talk them out of it. They are like teenagers. They are absolutely positively sure they have everything figured out just fine.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Nice tune!!..I am going with this one..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I wonder if we still don’t even understand that, either.

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:27 AM

Absolutely not. We can tell you what time is not, but we cannot define exactly what it is.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Noah: What’s a cubit?

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:28 AM

At least teenagers grow up. Except the Leftie ones.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:22 AM

Nice tune!!..I am going with this one..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM

I’ll see you and raise you a…

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM

Noah: What’s a cubit?

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM

Exactly. Did you know “sheckel” was a term that referred to weight? There was a sheckel of silver, of gold, of bronze — they were all different coins of value determined by their weight, like 5 oz.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Nice tune!!..I am going with this one..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Dire, novaculus loaded one up when you were out with computer issues. It appeals to me for two obvious reasons. I thought knowing you,you might like it as well. Here ya go.

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I also agree with that….I found her (Ginsburg) remarks cryptic. From which she appeared to be experiencing joy. Which “messaged” a bad outcome for those of us hoping for the right decision from the S.C. majority.

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:04 AM

I beg to differ… That seeming “joy” – appeared to me more like the “glee of insanity” coming from the enfeebled mind of broken old socialist who just got intellectually taken to the woodshed. I think *she* disagreed sharply with the majority, yet stood glowingly proud of her losing, but “principled stand” on the issue in chambers. But even Ginsburg knows now, that the gig is up.

Harbingeing on June 25, 2012 at 2:14 AM

OK, you’re probably right, or at least that’s my hope tonight. Obviously, we’re all having to “just wait” until we know their decision. I’m trying to balance my expectations out a bit, yes, no, yes, no, all of it, part of it, no, argh.

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Actually, no that was Bob Nelson, from his infamous routine at Dangerfields’ in 1984

Harbingeing on June 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM

I remember this. :)

I’m just catching up. I didn’t click it at first, because I remembered the Quayle thing and wanted to try to link it, and then I had to go to the place where cats are living and dead at the same time — and now I have to go study up on Lourdes metaphysics.

That routine was great. :)

Stop being interesting, people!

Or slow down!

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM

I like his voice.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:39 AM

HI. My name is txhsmom and I’m a creeper.
Ok. Not really, but with all the love flowing on this thread tonight I felt a little weird reading and not commenting.
/back to topic
It’s supposed to be 106 for the next two days. Since I can’t do yard work I’m hoping to be celebrating with all you fine peeps.

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Noah: What’s a cubit?

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:30 AM

That’s always been one of my favorites by Cosby.

But I can tell you what a cubit is: it’s the measurement of the distance from one’s fingertips to one’s elbow.

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Yes, but from whose finger tips to their elbow…

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM

I like that!

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Stop being interesting, people!

Or slow down!

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM

Yeah, these QOTD comments sections are difficult to keep up with, like I wrote a while ago…

I have to go now and good night to you all. What I did manage to read and respond to, all of that, very interesting and thanks for the very worthwhile coupla’ hours here.

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM

At least teenagers grow up. Except the Leftie ones.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I’m starting to see a trend here. Or maybe a phenomenon. Personality disorders generate from 11-14 years old. Divorce is hardest on kids 11-14 years old. I’m wondering if liberalism as a virus attacks at 11-14 years old and retards the victim…

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM

HI. My name is txhsmom and I’m a creeper.
/back to topic

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Hi txhsmom, I believe the term you are looking for is lurker, not creeper…

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:43 AM

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

106?!?!?!?! I tried working in the garden the other morning but it was getting full Sun and too hot. Since then it has been raining. I can’t win.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Yes, but from whose finger tips to their elbow…

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Since the measurement was one devised by Manly Builders from Ancient Construction times where Manly Builder Men were the only ones involved, I’m guessing that the measurement referred to the distance on a Manly Builder Man’s arm, fingertip to elbow.

;)

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:44 AM

We all want to be somebody… Right Dire… ;p

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Harbingeing on June 25, 2012 at 1:54 AM

It looks like my Quayle post got … what happened I wonder? What’s to moderate?

Again, this is what I was thinking of, and similar; it went on for five minutes. :)

What a terrible thing to have lost one’s mind. Or not to have a mind at all. How true that is.

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 2:46 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:42 AM

That’s a pretty self centered time of life. As a society, we haven’t done ourselves any favors with the diminishment of the family and the degradation of men.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Hi txhsmom, I believe the term you are looking for is lurker, not creeper…

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:43 AM

… I think I kinda like “creeper.”

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 2:47 AM

It’s supposed to be 106 for the next two days.

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Global… er… uhm… changing!

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:48 AM

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

See Dire? More positive waves. :)

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:44 AM

It was a miserably sunny 76 degrees here in San Diego today, so I forced myself to sit around outside and play my guitar and drink beer all afternoon. It was brutal, but I took one for the team… ;)

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

the degradation of men.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Yeah, what up with that? Here I am, fully degraded, and yet my daughter is crazy for Daddy. Why does this not compute?

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:51 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Good thing you are physically reachable.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:52 AM

SWalker you’re right. It’s late uh, I mean early.

Cindy, yes 106 for the next two days. And, I’m not even in TX right now. I’m in OK! When I heard that forecast the Texan in me went outside and watered my folks garden and flower beds. It’s gonna be brutal.

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

…I liked the way he fought for Palin.
My wife, my relatives, all my fiends were always on me for liking her. I’ve worked for political campaigns since I was 16 years old…Judges, local congresspeople and senators, along with the national state races…and have known some of those people outside of their political settings. When I took more than a week going through all of those emails released that the media wanted help finding dirt on…I became a disciple! She had her reasons not to run…and the time (atmosphere the media created) isn’t right…so I moved on…but I LOVED unseens determination…and the aggravation he caused. Never let up…no matter how people were weary of it…and it wasn’t like bluegill boring!

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 2:54 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:51 AM

May she always be, I get so sick of almost every aspect of modern media making men out to be the stupidest people on earth.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:54 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:33 AM

You got me!..Nice tune!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:55 AM

the degradation of men.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:47 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:51 AM

Because you have failed in your obligation to the state to ensure that your daughter receives the state mandated federally approved indoctrination…

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:55 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

When it got to 76 or higher while I lived in San Diego I turned on the portable A/C in my condo’s bedroom…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 2:54 AM

I never understood the venom directed at him for his devotion. He wasn’t hurting anyone. I like Gov. Palin a lot myself, I’m just not sure what would have to happen for her to overcome the job the press did on her. Unbelievable.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:57 AM

…I liked the way he fought for Palin.

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Yes, but unseen was also very unfair. He attacked anyone who threatened Palin with smears. Bachmann was “in the foster children game to make money.” Perry was “a crony capitalist with the worst of intentions.” And on and on. Smears by innuendo.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 2:38 AM

That my friend was so cool!..Excellent tune!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:57 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

It’s 76 here too, right now, at 2 am. It’s like we’re connected.
/stupid Allstate tv commercial humor

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:58 AM

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Weather is weird. We are going to be heading to Virginia soon and it has been hotter there than here in Florida. It will change but it’s still weird.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Very correct!!..Defended Palin to a fault!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2012 at 2:56 AM

Some people just don’t understand what a burden it is living in San Diego, it can be just plain damned difficult to find acceptable excuses to not go out side when the weather in nearly perfect year around… ;p

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:59 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Yep. unseen was viscous and unforgiving…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

*****

Axe International Caught Up Line

*****

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

It’s 76 here too, right now, at 2 am. It’s like we’re connected.
/stupid Allstate tv commercial humor

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 2:58 AM

All ya need now is a guitar, some limes and a couple of Corona’s… ;)

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

See Dire? More positive waves. :)

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Good vibrations!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Yeah, but everyone was like that about their favorite. His didn’t even try to run and he was so sure. I actually think he took it better than ddrintn did.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Good vibrations!!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Na, more like this tonight.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:02 AM

I think I’m going to call it a night. The pupplies will want to be fed at 6:30 a.m.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 3:03 AM

Good Night Lourdes, Pleasant Dreams.

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I actually think he took it better than ddrintn did.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 3:01 AM

Agreed. Unseen dropped off, which is respectable. ddrintn and idesign just kept harping, and yet, I enjoyed it.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

*****

Axe International Caught Up Line

*****

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Did you drive one of these to catch up?

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Good Night Cindy. I’m turning in too…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 2:25 AM

Attini Sajanitila – “Paternal and Maternal DNA lineages reeal a bottleneck in the founding of the Finish population” National Accadamy of Sciences 1996

John Travis “Jomon genes: using DNA, Researcher probe Genetic Origins of Modern Japaneese.” Science News 1997

Micheal F. Hammer, “A recent common ancestry ofr Human Y Chromosomes,” Nature 1995

In the field of human genetics, Mitochondrial Eve refers to the matrilineal most recent common ancestor (MRCA) of modern humans. In other words, she was the woman from whom all living humans today descend, on their mother’s side, and through the mothers of those mothers and so on, back until all lines converge on one person. Because all mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is generally passed from mother to offspring without recombination, all mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) in every living person is directly descended from hers by definition. Mitochondrial Eve is the female counterpart of Y-chromosomal Adam, the patrilineal most recent common ancestor, although they lived thousands of years apart.

Each ancestor (of people now living) in the line back to the matrilineal MRCA had female contemporaries such as sisters, female cousins, etc. and some of these female contemporaries may have descendants living now (with one or more males in their descendancy line). But none of the female contemporaries of the “Mitochondrial Eve” has descendants living now in an unbroken female line.

Mitochondrial Eve is estimated to have lived around 200,000 years ago,[2] most likely in East Africa,[3] when Homo sapiens sapiens (anatomically modern humans) were developing as a population distinct from other human sub-species.

Mitochondrial Eve is assumed to have lived at the same time as Y-chromosomal Adam, perhaps even meeting and mating with him. Like mitochondrial “Eve”, Y-chromosomal “Adam” probably lived in Africa; however, “Eve” lived much earlier than this “Adam” – perhaps some 50,000 to 80,000 years earlier.

jaydee_007 on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Good Night Cindy, Sweet Dreams.

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Bingo!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:05 AM

That my friend was so cool!..Excellent tune!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 2:57 AM

Good remember to thank novaculus for it. ; )

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:05 AM

Fingers crossed that Obamacare bites the dust tomorrow and that Arizona gets to defend herself.

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Ditto that!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:05 AM

I thank you both!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Amen to that…

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Lourdes, I know you have crashed but if you check back.

Lourdes on June 25, 2012 at 2:40 AM

How about a fathom? Don’t look it up. ; )

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Ditto that!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Kind of sad really, since neither of them are really all that bad when not discussing politics or Romney or Palin.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:02 AM

Good one!..Very good one!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:09 AM

How about a fathom? Don’t look it up. ; )

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:08 AM

It’s the distance between two knots on a rope… ;p

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Good Night OC, Sleep Well.

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM

jaydee_007 on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Yeah, they’re all just guessing.

The important part of the Garden of Eden myth is that we transgressed and fell. Not that it actually happened.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Good Night Cindy. I’m turning in too…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Night guys.

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 3:11 AM

It’s the distance between two knots on a rope… ;p

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Well at least I know you didn’t cheat. LOL! ; )

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Na, more like this tonight.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:02 AM

I think there is a lot of knocking on wood going on on both sides this week, at least that is the Impression that I Get.

Betenoire on June 25, 2012 at 3:12 AM

It’s the distance between two knots on a rope… ;p

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Well at least I know you didn’t cheat. LOL! ; )

Bmore on June 25, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Two years of Oceanography in college, I better know what a fathom is… ;p

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Good night Cindy!

All ya need now is a guitar, some limes and a couple of Corona’s… ;)
SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

Corona’s? I must admit I’ve never had one. Txhsdad keeps the fridge well supplied with Rahr, St Pauli’s Girl, Shiner Boch or any number of German beers I can’t pronounce.

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

…well…enjoy the tunes!…got to hit it!…getting a long list of people to pray for..KWR’s dad, SWalker’s mom, O C’s friend (don’t like the pneumonia thing)…and a few others. Not a healthy summer!
Prayer seems to work…my mother had rectal cancer at 89…major operation doctor’s said might add two or three years to her life…she’s 95 now…dementia setting in but long term memory still okay…her eyesight is deteriorating where she can’t read for the last couple of years..three years ago the doctors said AT MOST she had 2 years to live as one of her aorta’s to her heart was blocked, and the other only half open. Last week she fell down the stairs at my sisters house…5 broken bones in her foot, her wrist, and two fracture fingers. Her shoulder broke. Of course, they can’t operate since she would never come out of the operating room…Her heart couldn’t even take the injuries she had just sustained…Well…she’s in rehab..the breaks were clean and will take FOREVER to heal…and I think it’s because I’m selfish and have been praying like a priest, and the Lord don’t want her yet! Hard to convince me…prayer’s don’t work.

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Two years of Oceanography in college, I better know what a fathom is… ;p

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Marine Biology. My beautiful road not taken. :) Look how green she looks over there!

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

Good night Cindy!

All ya need now is a guitar, some limes and a couple of Corona’s… ;)
SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:00 AM

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

It’s not a fancy beer, just a nice pale lager.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:15 AM

prayer’s don’t work.

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Yes they do. And I’m praying for you right now.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

er … so Austin, or Dallas?

lol — j/k; nvm.

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Cindy Munford on June 25, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Amen to that…

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:07 AM

Hear!..Hear!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:17 AM

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

There is nothing so powerful as that which can move the hand of god.

SWalker on June 25, 2012 at 3:18 AM

prayer’s don’t work.

KOOLAID2 on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Yes they do. And I’m praying for you right now.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 3:16 AM

It depends on what you mean by work. If you mean they don’t get God to do something that isn’t in his heart to do, then nope. If you mean he doesn’t hear them or care about them or act on them, then –

– Yeah huh, they do too.

Axe on June 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Tell him to stop buying imports. They’re all pasteurized, so they taste the same. Skunky. Buy microbrews in the U.S. That’s the good stuff.

John the Libertarian on June 25, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Please keep prayers ascending for Norm & June…

OmahaConservative on June 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM

txhsmom on June 25, 2012 at 3:13 AM

No Corona’s??..You need to get a lime and try it!..:)

Dire Straits on June 25, 2012 at 3:21 AM