Poll: What was the Obamateurism of the Week?

posted at 9:31 am on June 24, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Time to shine a little light on the President’s foibles and vote for the Obamateurism of the Week!  It’s a painful task, perhaps, and a little repetitive at times, but we don’t need to get “pissy” about it, either.  Just chew on your options for a few moments, and the right choice will come to you.

Previous weekly “winners” in 2012:

Previous Obamateurisms of the Year:

• Giving 2 minutes of “shout-outs” before getting to the Fort Hood shooting (2009)
  • Obama leaves Clinton at press conference podium on tax deal to attend Christmas party (2010)
  • “I would put our legislative and foreign policy accomplishments in our first two years against any president— with the possible exceptions of Johnson, F.D.R., and Lincoln.” (2011)

Got an Obamateurism of the Day? If you see a foul-up by Barack Obama, e-mail it to me at obamaisms@edmorrissey.com with the quote and the link to the Obamateurism. I’ll post the best Obamateurisms on a daily basis, depending on how many I receive. Include a link to your blog, and I’ll give some link love as well. And unlike Slate, I promise to end the feature when Barack Obama leaves office.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Hmmm. I wonder if Obama has America in mind when he made this speechifying session

Powerful wind at the back of this “Change”

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM

I was hoping one of the choices would be the threatening use of eating utensils at an Obama speech in front of Latinos.

Alas, this event will just have to be commemorated in a webpage ad.

BKeyser on June 24, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Ah yes, the Ford Pinto where the read bumper is like the handle on a hand grenade.

The Chevy Nova (meaning “no va” — “doesn’t go” in Spanish…)
… and the AMC Pacer with the wraparound hatchback windows… who could forget the Pacer? I’m glad Wayne’s World paid tribute.

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM

The Chevy Nova (meaning “no va” — “doesn’t go” in Spanish…)

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

Hey now, the Pacer was “the stuff” back then. If you had one you were rich.

/Carter

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Yikes. s/b “rear bumper”

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Powerful wind at the back of this “Change”

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM

VegasRick on June 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 12:02 PM

Mom’s Ford Grenada shopping car was dy-no-mite until it rusted through. Having ordered a Mustang engine under the hood made it something of a stealth “442″ idling at 35 MPH and you could bark the tires just by putting it in gear..

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM

“Jerusalem will be our Capital, Allah Willing!!!” the newly elected President of Egypt has proclaimed.
–snip–
PappyD61 on June 24, 2012 at 10:56 AM

Thanks for the info, although now I feel sick. I think that every military retiree subject to recall is going to feel nervous about ending up back in uniform.

Kevin K. on June 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Somebody like Newt needs to suggest that Oblamer simply should not run for re-election. Zero should become head of the UN instead where maybe he can destroy that too in less than 4 years…

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:06 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

I bought a Vega that actually had a carve out in the left rear quarter that housed a fire extinguisher.

Seriously. People laughed. At me.

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM

The WORST and most DANGEROUS President ever…

Thx 52%ers…

Khun Joe on June 24, 2012 at 12:16 PM

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:14 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

Or, he could go back to Chicago and organize that community out of existence. He tried to do it on a National level, but he failed.

Obama! Take off those big boy pants and suit back up into your spiderman underoos and GTFO.

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 12:17 PM

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I loved both my Pintos. Of course, I was unaware of the possibility of any explosions.

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Waiting for Ed… There is so much takeaway from this Egypt election. The fallout is unimaginable.

Hey. Whatever happened to Libya?

And, why are we in Africa?

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

Well my dear, as long as you didn’t back into anything or get rear ended, otherwise those cars were sharp looking vehicles :o)

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I see most people voted for “Scolding American Crossroads”. I don’t consider that the act of an amateur. That was a calculated move to distract the people from F & F. The leftist media is giving it’s utmost effort to ignore or “pooh-pooh” this scandal. Worse than Watergate…worse than Iran-Contra.

Jarhead68 on June 24, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Though putting the gas tank forward of the rear axle wasn’t the greatest idea much of that was media hype because just about any gas tank could leak if hit hard enough. Against a cement truck or a bus pretty much any car would be bad news.

I knew a few people whose college cars were Corvairs the ones which Ralph Nader smeared to make his loot. I think they were fairly pleased with those Corvairs.

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Just as a humorous aside to the drudgery of slogging through the Zero’s latest incompetence — to respond to the car stuff I inadvertently started (sorry!), had to add this:

Recently I went to a junkyard looking for some parts and stumbled upon a decent collection of old Japanese econoboxes in back, growing up with weeds….

I found – in addition to Pinto and a Vega…..

A 1969 Toyota Corona
1977 Datsun F-10 (acclaimed by many was the ugliest Japanese import ever)
1977 Datsun 200-SX (second ugliest to many, but ugliest to me)
1978 Datsun B-210 (couldn’t kill then)
1975 Mazda RX-3

So… I decided to it in them all and reminisce – and then to get in the “back seat” of these cars. With my old joints, it was hard and painful!

I just started helplessly laughing. Couldn’t stop – once I wedged myself into the back of the B-210.

How did Americans of that era shoehorn themselves into those things? Your head was boxed in by side pillars and the roof, about 4 to inches clearance in all direction. You were actually PART of the CAR!! No room to move. The insanity of the unsafety just made me lose it. And I lost it some more it was remembering that in high school, before my friends and I could drive, the lady with the B-210 would put two of us in the front seat and FOUR ACROSS in the back seat – and then try to make it up the hill to school. You could feel your seatmate’s ribs expanding with each breath!!!.

The memory that made me completely lose it was of another friend’s B-210 – that we would take “curb jumping at night.” Four or five of us crammed in there – actually pressed up against the car’s interior – and he gets a long approach run going and then pops the right wheels up onto the sidewalk where there was a long stretch w/o a driveway or poles on the sidewalk…. floor it up to 35 mph – flying down the street half on and half off the sidewalk – and then when the driveway came, he’d gun it and swerve left and launch the car into the air off the far side of the driveway – back into the street… all of us laughing like maniacs as the B-210 would crash down on the suspension and then take one crashing bounce up into the air as we all mashed into one another in the back seat and our heads bounced off the roof and side windows…..

The trip to the junkyard brought it all back and I went home light of heart.

We were crazy.

OT off/

Thanks for indulging

cane_loader on June 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM

Chewing gum throughout Group of 20 summit with world leaders.

He was bored with all that talk about economics and such, and no one really caring about what he thought or had to say. No point thinking about it and trying to take it seriously anyway, as he already knows socialism is the wave of the future. He wanted to smoke a cigarette but could not. So, like a bored adolescent girl, he chewed gum.

farsighted on June 24, 2012 at 12:53 PM

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I see Corvairs fetching decent prices at the car show in Daytona that I go to every Thanksgiving.

Cindy Munford on June 24, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Powerful wind at the back of this “Change”

Key West Reader on June 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM

“Egypt will never be the same” – odumbo finally got one right. Talk about a war on women.

VegasRick on June 24, 2012 at 12:04 PM

Change uou can believe in :)…

jimver on June 24, 2012 at 1:25 PM

Clearly number four. Easily, and with irony too.

Bmore on June 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM

Obama is just misunderstood; these are all easily explainable:

- Urges action to protect jobs of teachers and first responders Obama already claims on WH website to have saved — so that he doesn’t have to “save them again” with another trillion-dollar stimulus?

- WaPo review of Obama presser: “The president says “uhhh” too much.” — this is because he’s an idiot…surely you wouldn’t mock an idiot, would you?

- Chewing gum throughout Group of 20 summit with world leaders — it was tense, and he really, really needed to smoke a fag a cigarette…you understand.

- Scolds American Crossroads for lack of transparency … on same day Obama asserted executive privilege in Fast & Furious probe — yeah, but … Koch brothers! or something.

- WaPo: Obama gets kind of thin-skinned when his tactics are used against him — but, as noted above, he’s an idiot and has affirmative action support; you wouldn’t expect a level playing field for an affirmative action idiot, would you?

Jaibones on June 24, 2012 at 1:55 PM

Somebody asked OBozo if he wanted chewing gum, and he thought it was Choom Gum, so he said that he would take it to the limit.

onlineanalyst on June 24, 2012 at 2:11 PM

I went for the chewing gum thing b ecause it so forcefully demonstrated what a class-less rube we have representing us.

catsandbooks on June 24, 2012 at 2:12 PM

But, a VERY close second was the gum chewing. A real pet peeve of mine especially if it’s an adult chomping away.

Jvette on June 24, 2012 at 10:38 AM

You’re not kidding. I saw someone chomping away at church this morning. Have these adults not learned any decorum?

O was probably trying to get his money’s worth in nicotine delivery.

onlineanalyst on June 24, 2012 at 2:18 PM

2,3,4 and 5 are all the hallmarks of a petulant, spoiled brat. How interesting that they would all be displayed by the ‘Smartest President Evah!’

Like Otter said …”What a Tool.”

a5minmajor on June 24, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Thanks for indulging

cane_loader on June 24, 2012 at 12:51 PM

You could do stuff like that with the old 70-series tires. With the low-profile tires a lot of us use now, a bad pothole can tear up a sidewall.

slickwillie2001 on June 24, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Jokers, the world over, are indignant.

Schadenfreude on June 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I think they were fairly pleased with those Corvairs.

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Three of the best cars I ever owned (as ‘basic’ transportation) were Corvairs. Two “cheeseboxes” and a Spyder convertible.

Nader really screwed America when he decided to destroy that car.

Solaratov on June 24, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Jokers, the world over, are indignant.

Next week the “wedding proceeds” and “Obama is your husband too”, adn “reelect Obama for the children” should make it onto the list of circus jokes.…circle jerks.

Schadenfreude on June 24, 2012 at 3:01 PM

…oh…anyway…that’s how I read it!

KOOLAID2 on June 24, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Obumbles is about as transparent as a cinderblock wall.

Now that I think about it……apply said metaphor to his intelligence also.

Tim_CA on June 24, 2012 at 3:28 PM

viking01 on June 24, 2012 at 12:25 PM

I got my very first ticket in a Corvair. I was a year short of my licence but warming the car up in the driveway for my sister (her car) and yes she was in college and liked that car.

I decided it would be cool to back out and then pull back into the driveway. The Corvair stalled and would not restart… A cop came by about a minute after I pulled out… Very bad luck huh?
I never did like that car after that.

RalphyBoy on June 24, 2012 at 3:31 PM

“Egypt will never be the same” – Choombama finally got one right. Talk about a war on women.

Egyptian beats pregnant wife to death for not voting for Mursi

Green eyed Lady on June 24, 2012 at 4:22 PM

#4 Scolds American Crossroads for lack of transparency … on same day Obama asserted executive privilege in Fast & Furious probe

Choombama is “pissy.” … whatever the subject may be.

Green eyed Lady on June 24, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Wow, that was painful. I was out of town most of the week, so I just read all five OOTDs at once. Can someone pass me the Tums, please?

john1v6 on June 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I voted for the one with Obama asserting executive privilege on the same day he demands transparency from an opposing group.

But really, it doesn’t even matter that he demanded transparency on the same day. The very fact that Obama asserted executive privilege took an issue he could label as “hyper-partisan” while the media studiously pretended nothing ever happened and turned it into a story that nobody could ever ignore again.

Oopsie!