Rubio: Politicians want the immigration issue to remain unresolved

posted at 5:21 pm on June 22, 2012 by Tina Korbe

Tough-minded Republicans fear monger and the dear Democrats pander, but nobody so much as moves to make a move to really reform immigration policy — or so says Sen. Marco Rubio.

In a speech to the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials today, Rubio said politicians have two strong incentives to do nothing about the illegal presence in the United States of millions of immigrants: As long as the immigration issue remains unresolved, they can use it to influence elections and raise money.

“I’ll tell you right now, it’s powerful politics,” Rubio said.

Rubio’s right — and President Obama is Exhibit A. As Rubio also cheekily pointed out in his speech today, Obama hasn’t addressed NALEO in three years — but, on this fine summer afternoon of a heated election year, he’s making a conspicuous appearance at their conference. Coincidence? A very decided no.

(Unfortunately for those who like to make sport of the president’s perpetually poorly disguised campaigning, Rubio’s reference to Obama’s spotty attention to NALEO was a rare jab at the president in the Florida senator’s otherwise very diplomatic speech. “I was tempted to come here and rip into the policies of the president,” Rubio said. “But if I did, I’d be doing the exact same thing that I just criticized.”

Rubio further expressed frustration that the media has interpreted Obama’s recent changes to enforcement of immigration law solely in the context of the election. Perhaps if Obama hadn’t announced the changes in the context of the election, the media wouldn’t have interpreted it according to that context … )

While Rubio’s excoriation of politicians on both left and right is most welcome, I must point out: If voters mindlessly respond to pandering, then the electorate deserves excoriation, too. It’s no secret that politicians often care more about politics than they do about policy. After all, they depend upon reelection for their jobs. It’s up to voters to predicate the reelection of any given politician on his support for sound policy. (Personally, I don’t expect Latinos to fall for the president’s fawning this time, though: Like all other voting blocs in the country, they care most about jobs.)

What would constitute sound immigration policy? Let’s just say Florida Gov. Rick Scott is onto something when he says the solution must be “whole.” That doesn’t necessarily mean, though, that the focus of reform should be on immigrants who have already illegally entered the country. They chose to live in “the shadows” when they immigrated illegally. Perhaps, consigning them to stay in said shadows — with the possibility of deportation always before them — is enough of a consequence to deter more illegal immigration.

Otherwise, let’s keep the focus on securing the borders and reforming the United States immigration system. The quota system we currently use is more than a little outdated and desperately in need of an update. That’s where the focus of reform should be.

As Rubio said today, “The single biggest contributor to illegal immigration is a burdensome, bureaucratic and complicated legal immigration process. There are millions of people in this country who would go back home if they thought they could come back here next year to work in their seasonal jobs. And I know of no one who wouldn’t rather immigrate legally if they could.”

Properly speaking, immigration policy is not a question of what to do with those who have broken our laws. Properly speaking, immigration policy is a question of who we allow to enter the country, who we don’t and how.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

…I want the law enforced…or I don’t want ANY of us obeying the laws ‘they’ feel like enforcing.

KOOLAID2 on June 22, 2012 at 7:53 PM

well, let’s just say that I’m more open to relaxing things a bit than I used to be.

I can understand the inclination… just need to remember that you’re not talking about relaxing things for just yourself, you’re talking about making everyone else follow that viewpoint, whether they’re similarly inclined to pay for it or not. Same difference between voluntary charity and government mandated welfare.

CapnObvious on June 22, 2012 at 7:58 PM

It looks like I may have a new power, who should I try it out on.

RickB on June 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Sorry for the slow response, this site is all screwed up for us iPad users. That being said, the delete, ban button follows me wherever I go. Lol! ; )

Bmore on June 22, 2012 at 8:03 PM

I don’t believe I was talking to you joana. What is your problem with me asking the question? Again, I was interested in what legal latinos think about all this, not what Rubio said.

silvernana on June 22, 2012 at 7:36 PM

1 – Maybe you should use a private chat if you want to have private chats.

2 – Again, as you seemed unable to understand this simple thing: you have tons of polls out there showing what Hispanic-Americans and Latino legal immigrants think. More reliable than asking it to a fake latino in the internet.

joana on June 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

The Immigration Bombshell: Breaking The Law.

M2RB: Judas Priest, live Festival Dortmund ’83, Germany

Resist We Much on June 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

1 – Maybe you should use a private chat if you want to have private chats.

joana on June 22, 2012 at 8:13 PM

joana, I asked a specific person a question, it is done here all the time. What is your problem? Who pissed in your Cheerios this morning. And are you the arbiter of who is and who isn’t a latino? Get over yourself.

silvernana on June 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM

silvernana on June 22, 2012 at 8:18 PM

And I decided to help you by suggesting a better course of action. You can decide to follow it or not, but attack me for making a suggestion in reply to a comment you posted on an open blog seems kind of crazy, no?

joana on June 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM

NoMittObama 2012

Just say NO.

Steveangell on June 22, 2012 at 6:57 PM

Too much. If you’re going to be a moby, you need to be a little less obvious.

joana on June 22, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Mitt is all on board with Rubio on Immigration now.

Are we just supposed to forget he hammered Newt and Rick Santorum on Immigration saying they were too weak on it?

Mitt changes positions always in the same way. He changes them to Obamas position.

They are twiddle dee and twiddle dumb.

Neither are fit for President of any non Communist country. If you are for either just admit it. You want America to be a Progressive Dictatorship.

NoMittObama 2012.

Steveangell on June 22, 2012 at 8:23 PM

joana on June 22, 2012 at 8:20 PM

I don’t need your help, joana, and don’t condescend to me. I asked a specific person a question, I wasn’t talking to you, so butt out.

silvernana on June 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Wish I could find it on youtube. That’s exactly what Willie Brown said on Charlie Rose a few years back around the time of McCain’s amnesty bill.

FireDrake on June 22, 2012 at 8:44 PM

silvernana on June 22, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Again, if you want specific persons to answer the non-personal questions you type here – like the opinion of Hispanic-Americans on some policy issue – I’d strongly recommend you to ask those questions in a private conversation. Can you understand this?

You can’t stop people from commenting on your posts – and you won’t.

joana on June 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

You can’t stop people from commenting on your posts – and you won’t.

joana on June 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

I think you are just too dense to get the fact that I was asking someone a specific question and it wasn’t you. Who the hell are you to tell me what I should do? I can start ignoring you, and I will.

silvernana on June 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

silvernana on June 22, 2012 at 9:28 PM

The “specific question” you asked was “how do Hispanic-American citizens see the immigration issue?”.

If you only wanted that question to be answered by a specific person, you needed to be smart enough to realize that you should have used a private chat to ask it, not a public blog.

People comment on each others post. That’s the way it is. You need to learn to live with it.

joana on June 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

I made the statement months ago when we first hear do rubies’ RINO dream efforts. I said then it would end badly and obama just proved he was smarter than rubio which is not a good sign of the future.

aniptofar on June 22, 2012 at 9:44 PM

The time to choose is upon you. There are only two choices. Choose.

Bmore on June 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

I have. I will vote for neither. A very valid choice.

Steveangell on June 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Very well then we shall from this point forward ignore your posts as you have nothing to contribute as is evident from your choice of candidate.

Rio Linda Refugee on June 9, 2012 at 8:33 PM

I think that I’m going to join Rio Linda. You really are nothing but Moby and a complete waste of time.

I suggest that everyone save this admission of his so that others will know exactly where he stands and that his handwringing is ALL BS.

We also don’t want to hear a damn word from you for the next 4 years should Obama be reelected.

Resist We Much on June 22, 2012 at 9:52 PM

joana on June 22, 2012 at 9:38 PM

What a very arrogant thing to say to someone who followed the customary comment format and highlighted the comment of the person she was directing her question to when you butted-in with your childish imagined hall-monitor authority.

Texas Gal on June 22, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Anyone interested in sending anyone home, even as the condition for loosening overall immigration restrictions, is simply not interested in the best outcome for immigrants.

ernesto

You’re right….we’re more interested in the best outcome for America, and Americans….as it should be.

Will mass deportations help? Not really…

BlaxPac

Actually, it WOULD help. That’s why commies like ernesto are dead set against it. They know it absolutely WOULD have a major effect on decreasing the amount of illegal immigration in this country, which conflicts with their open borders fantasy.

xblade on June 22, 2012 at 11:53 PM

Pssh. Civilized countries with their rule of law.

sDs61678 on June 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM

I’ve heard many Hispanic leaders say they aren’t prepared to blindly follow the Democrats anywhere. Their fear, and Obama’s policy proves it, is they keep voting for them and their problems are never dealt with because the Democrats would rather have the issue than a solution.

On this issue, if you look into what the Administration has done, they’ve accomplished almost nothing. Who, of those people in the shadows, is going to come out and sign up for a card and let people know their parents are here illegally, when it’s only for 2 years. If this isn’t resolved in 2 years, the INS has a list of places to go. How long do you think it’s going to take Hispanics to figure this out? When they do figure it out, do you really think they’ll be beating down the doors to have their legal brothers vote for Obama?

I think Romney can take advantage of this just by laughing it off and saying that, once he wins the election, he can guarantee he’ll be dealing with this issue. He can say he will bring in both Republican and Democrats Hispanic leaders plus the leaders in the House and Senate and work out a bill that will work.

bflat879 on June 23, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I understand your point, but I object to the term “Hispanic Leaders”. The idea that anyone feels they have the self-appointed right to speak for me because they have a similar skin tone is disgustingly arrogant and condescending. A more appropriate term would be “Racialist Shills”

CapnObvious on June 25, 2012 at 1:08 PM