Romney campaign “100 Days” ads aim at swing states

posted at 10:01 am on June 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

The Romney campaign has expanded its positive-ad messaging, while specifying its content to certain swing states.  Last month, the campaign released a series of “Day 1″ ads that were national in scope.  Today, they start a new positive-messaging track with “First 100 Days,” only this time the 30-second TV ads will be modified slightly to run in specific swing states — Iowa, Ohio, Virginia, and North Carolina.  For instance, here’s the Iowa pitch, which focuses on budget deficits and ObamaCare:

In Ohio, though, the ad pledges that “Mitt Romney stands up to China,” a big concern in the manufacturing-heavy state, and then promises to repeal energy regulation that “is costing us jobs”:

Virginia starts off like Iowa with the focus on ObamaCare, budgets and deficits, but then pledges to start drilling off the coast to get more energy production and jobs for the Old Dominion:

North Carolina also sounds like Iowa, with a bigger emphasis on the economy:

Presidential elections are won in states like these.  Usually a challenger doesn’t have the kind of resources to produce a tailored array of ads, especially positive ads, until the convention.  Romney’s fundraising has given him an advantage over the usual rhythms of the cycle, and his team appears to be putting those resources to good use.

Comments

I’ll take the Mormon.

You can keep the moron.

Romney/[fill in the blank] 2012 because America will not survive 4 more years of Emperor Hussein.

NickDeringer on June 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Romney looking better daily…

OmahaConservative on June 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Funnies

Pics of the Day: President Downgrade Gets Downgraded

M2RB: The Kinks

Resist We Much on June 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

…I’m afraid of JugEars last 100 days!

KOOLAID2 on June 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

It will be so nice to have a normal, mentally stable guy as president again.

Akzed on June 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Amen akzed

Go mitt

cmsinaz on June 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM

I’m glad the big money guys like Adelson are finally realizing they need to step up. Soros has controlled the field for far too long.

ABO, 2012!

AZCoyote on June 22, 2012 at 10:09 AM

Thanks Ed. You da best!

Flora Duh on June 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

It will be so nice to have a normal, mentally stable guy as president again.

Akzed on June 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Amen and amen.

The Rogue Tomato on June 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM

…I’m afraid of JugEars last 100 days!

KOOLAID2 on June 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

QOTD right there, TFGP will not go quietly or peacefully and we would be right to be leery of his actions toward the end. This will go beyond Moochy stealing the White House silverware, far beyond.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Romney presents himself as more presidential than the current president, Mr. crybaby. Weird in’t it?

bluealice on June 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Willard is bringin it. Wish he would have relied on some similar positive messages during the primary, but c’est la vie. These are good ads that will be an overwhelming contrast to zero’s “hey the other guy sucks” ads.

I’m liking Mittens more and more … I think I’ll go get an ice cream.

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

I’ll take the Mormon.

You can keep the moron.

NickDeringer on June 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Couldn’t have said it better myself so I won’t even try!

Rufus on June 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Here’s hoping he’s as good of a prez as he is a campaigner.

And add me to the list of people nervous about his last 100 days.

MelonCollie on June 22, 2012 at 10:13 AM

At the rate the NC Dems are handing out scandals, I’d be surprised if any Democrat in the state will show their face come election day.

LoganSix on June 22, 2012 at 10:15 AM

If I’ve seen better campaign organization, I cannot remember when.

On the other, other hand, I know I’ve never seen worse organization by an incumbent president.

PopsRacer on June 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

This will go beyond Moochy stealing the White House silverware, far beyond.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Personally, I’m looking forward to seeing the media circus when the mooch locks herself in the presidential limo and refuses to leave all the while shouting “This is mine! It’s OWED to me!”

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

It will be so nice to have a normal, mentally stable guy as president again.

Akzed on June 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Ain’t that the truth!

Rational Thought on June 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Presidential elections are won in states like these. Usually a challenger doesn’t have the kind of resources to produce a tailored array of ads, especially positive ads, until the convention. Romney’s fundraising has given him an advantage over the usual rhythms of the cycle, and his team appears to be putting those resources to good use.

So much better than 2008!

Lots of heavy lifting ahead to oust the boy-king BUT the fact that Romney’s team is out there to win it is such a nice change from McCain’s approach of selling himself as the white Barak Obama.

My only criticism as one about to be inflicted by these ads in Virginia- offshore drilling is not a burning issue with Virginia voters. Reversing the war on coal is probably a bigger energy issue.

Happy Nomad on June 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

bluealice on June 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM

It’s almost like one of them made a living fixing things while the other was a rabble-rousing street organizer.

The Count on June 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

The Count on June 22, 2012 at 10:17 AM

TFGRP fixed things too, he “fixed” all sorts of insider deals, he “fixed” elections including his own, he even “fixed” people who dared get in his way.

You homophobe.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

That comparatively small house in Chicago is not going to fit Moochelle’s appetite for largesse. I’ll betcha a year’s pay she runs for Congress to get her rather generous ass back in DC.

Rational Thought on June 22, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Just wait until the first time she has to fly commercial again!

Happy Nomad on June 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

I’ll take the Mormon.

You can keep the moron.

NickDeringer on June 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

I am so turning that into a bumper sticker.

mechkiller_k on June 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

All Romney needs to do is stay positive and Obama loses. Unity and Optimism is Kryptonite to President Downgrade.

cntrlfrk on June 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Those ads bring tears to my eyes. Really. I haven’t seen this kind of competence for too long. It’s like we’ve become used to bumbling so one could even think this kind of leadership was gone forever.

Paddington on June 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I foresee Mrs. Bark locking herself in the White House master bedroom, face smeared with melted butter and bits of lobster meat, crazily swinging a tricked-out MP5 that she stole from the armory and screaming “When you’re fu**ing with Big Mooch you’re fu**ing with the best!”

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

NOMITTBAMA

Paul/SMOD 2012

Had to be said, and then RickV404 will be glad to come in and regale you Mittbots with how Romney is going to betray you all! Meloncollie will explain that the PNAC/Perma War brigade fully supports Mittens and you all are making a foolish mistake.

JFKY on June 22, 2012 at 10:24 AM

…I’m afraid of JugEars last 100 days!

KOOLAID2 on June 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Moochy might be our best hope. Even in her anger, she’s more rational than Obama. If Obama does something really stupid, the Liberals will completely disown them. As the wife of an ex-POTUS, she could spend endless time at parties and taking vacations. She could give countless interviews to fashion magazines or appear on Oprah and the View. Like Hillary she might even run for political office herself. But it all depends on Barack leaving the White House with some dignity. Otherwise, it’s all off.

Gladtobehere on June 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Paddington on June 22, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Yes, it will be nice to have a president who isn’t going out of his way to fundamentally ruin this place.

The Count on June 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Just wait until the first time she has to fly commercial again!

Happy Nomad on June 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Dear Santa,

All I want this year is to let me be on that flight the first time mooch flies commercial. I won’t ask for a pony or a nuclear submarine or a time machine ever again if I can have just this one thing.

LiJ
p.s. The Easter Bunny is a hack, but you’re the bestest ever.

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Wait…what? Fast and Furious.

Libtoons live for stupidity, they elected a mail room clerk for POTUS.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Gotta ad the plastic lobster bib to complete the visual, but I can definitely see that playing out.

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 10:30 AM

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Lost in Jersey

I’ll be happy if they can pry Barry out of the Oval without a lawsuit.

Zaggs on June 22, 2012 at 10:32 AM

The book “The Team Behind Mitt Romney” will be a good read…well done..

hillsoftx on June 22, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I wouldn’t waste money in NC… She learned her lesson last time. Be quite a while before we vote blue again, I do believe.

Probably wouldn’t worry about Iowa, either.

LtGenRob on June 22, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Probably wouldn’t worry about Iowa, either.

LtGenRob

But Barry might think the same thing. So this forces him to spend money in those states. If Barry puts money on a lame horse, all the better.

Zaggs on June 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Wait…what? Fast and Furious.

Libtoons live for stupidity, they elected a mail room clerk for POTUS.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Obama is getting near his limit of stupid stuff. If he pulls out race riots or something equally stupid, most Democrats will jump ship. Some Demonrats are already fleeing from him.

Gladtobehere on June 22, 2012 at 10:37 AM

I’ll join akzed’s amen chorus. Mitt is not just normal and sane, he is competent and effective.

WhatNot on June 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Something my mother drilled into me from day one was, “If you keep on a positive message, you come out the bigger one.” Romney is making Obama look very small and petty with these positive ads. You can almost feel a new energy sweeping through your head as you see these. And not the vapid sugar rush of “Hope and Change.”

Mom’s lesson has served me well in my job, where I’m a manager now, and in my political activism.

JoseQuinones on June 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

i may be mistaken, but our commenter “julieinsatx” may be on Glenn Beck’s show right now….

ted c on June 22, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Romney is a welcoming Oasis of Sanity in the vast and barren OBNUTZ desert.

TheClearRiver on June 22, 2012 at 10:40 AM

off topic:

What does “TFHP” stand for? Keep seeing Obama referenced as that on various conservative blogs and it is driving me crazy. Thank you.

RW Wacko on June 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

I bet, Jay Carney is having a fit,madly looking to find the
appropriate phone number,to whine to somebody/anybody,about
Mittens ad!!
(sarc)

canopfor on June 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM

All the ads or awesome! I like Iowa a lot in particular; substitute “America” for the Iowa, and run it nationally!! Huge.

anotherJoe on June 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Chances are TFBGHP is going to hide Air Force One in a foreign country. President Romney will have to send Seal Team Six to get it back.

Yoop on June 22, 2012 at 10:46 AM

off topic:

RW Wacko on June 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

The First [fill in the blank] President. In this case, the first Hispanic President. other variations: TFGP (Gay); TFHWP (Half White); TFFP (Female)

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 10:48 AM

TFBGHP >>>> The First Black Gay Hispanic President

Yoop on June 22, 2012 at 10:50 AM

off topic:

RW Wacko on June 22, 2012 at 10:41 AM

TFGP stands for the first gay president. Maybe the H stands for homosexual or hermaphroditic.

Gladtobehere on June 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Gladtobehere on June 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Liberals and dignity don’t belong in the same sentence. It’s like putting a square peg in a round hole.The left’s fall back ideology is to tear apart and destroy when defeated. Clinton trashed the white house on his way out. Obama would fall on his default to his agitator, anarchist roots. It will be ugly.

wizzdumb on June 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Yes, Romney is presenting himself as the adult, someone who takes responsibility and someone who exudes competence.

There’s no doubt in my mind that the majority of voters this time around will abandon their wayward ways of childish, hopey-dopey pursuits having been handed (along with millions of other, rational voters) a dose of harsh, very harsh reality.

As for Big MO, she appears to love the limelight of ‘show biz.’ I suspect that after Nov. 6 she will part ways with BO and launch full time into a new career. What she doesn’t comprehend is that both she and her husband are so toxic that there may not be much of an audience for her special brand of charm (/////).

Cody1991 on June 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Probably wouldn’t worry about Iowa, either.

LtGenRob

Zaggs on June 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Zags has got it. With superior resources, Romney will force Obama to spread his inferior resources thinly. Technically speaking, this will cause pants-wettage in the White House.

PopsRacer on June 22, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Rasmussen daily tracking poll on Obama has him 5 points behind Romney 48% to 43% and at -22 in the tracking poll itself.

logman1 on June 22, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Gladtobehere on June 22, 2012 at 10:26 AM

wizzdumb on June 22, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Even Liberals have a limit. Some Demonrats are already jumping ship so as not to go down with Obama. IMO, Bill Clinton is trying to give cover to those Dems who want to dissociate from Obama. We’ll have to see, but these Demonrat politicians do have a survival instinct. They won’t sacrifice themselves to keep Obama in power. If Obama keeps doing obviously stupid stuff, even the media will have to start reporting it. They can’t keep protecting him forever.

Gladtobehere on June 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM

I’ve said this before, but the Romney campaign continually using “President Romney” in their ads is brilliant.

You’re conditioning people to hearing those two words together and making that connection.

That candidate Romney will be President.

These guys are good.

RarestRX on June 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I’m anxious to see what kind of havoc they leave in their wake, as team 0 leaves the White House next January. I’m betting it will be worse than when Team Clenis left, with their juvenile pranks like leaving obscene pictures in files, and pulling the W’s off all the keyboards.

This group will probably steal anything that isn’t nailed down, and destroy all the files, paper and electronic, that might be incriminating. They may go full-bore Saddam-leaving-Kuwait and torch the place (especially the DOJ, lots of evidence there to eliminate).

iurockhead on June 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

I am a California prisoner, and I approve all of the above positive comments about Romney.

GaltBlvnAtty on June 22, 2012 at 11:11 AM

He won me over when I realized he wasn’t aloof, but rather that he was a nerd.

Since then, he’s shown nothing but competence. Love it. Hopefully he picks a good VP to confirm this feeling (Ryan or Jindal).

cpaulus on June 22, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Obama inherited Bush.

Obama inherited a steak bill.

Obama inherited a do-nothing Congress.

Obama inherited really awkward big ears.

Obama is about to inherit President Mitt Romney.

Who should revoke Barry’s pension by executive order and donate it toward the deficit.

Since Obama is always saying the rich should do more, that will allow him to put up and then shut up.

profitsbeard on June 22, 2012 at 11:15 AM

Thanks all for the “TFxP” info.

RW Wacko on June 22, 2012 at 11:21 AM

Obligatory in a Romney thread:

72 comments or bust!

Lost in Jersey on June 22, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Me too! I also approve the facts being released about Obama and what I hope will be consequences – a.k.a. less voters voting.

sdbatboy on June 22, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Cody1991 on June 22, 2012 at 10:54 AM

Little Bammie and the Mooch haven’t yet figured out that the Wintour-types that fete them now, will pretend to not know them after they are out of office. They will no longer have any use for Bammie.

It will be interesting to hear the truth from the Wintour-types about ‘the most-glamorous first lady evah’.

slickwillie2001 on June 22, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Gladtobehere on June 22, 2012 at 11:04 AM | Delete | Delete and Ban

Some liberals have a limit IMO. Pelosi, Reid, Sharpton & JacksonTM, any of the hosts on MSNBC would travel to the bowels of hell to wordship at the table of liberalism. Obama with his total lack of respect of the law, constitition, American institutions, I’m afraid would be in this group’s company and would embark on a scorched Earth campaign if he is defeated.

wizzdumb on June 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM

So, will he be accused of going negative by the old media? Oh how I hope this nightmare gets changed out soon.

sdbatboy on June 22, 2012 at 12:21 PM

My bumper sticker idea:

I will take compentent over cool any day.

ArmyAunt on June 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM

I remember when Romney presented his tag line as ‘Believe in America’. Many people here made fun of him, and the MSM ridiculed it. How does it feel now when you see it in his ads, and in his campaign.

That is what a competent executive does. You sit down on the first day, and make a short term and long term plan, and you tie both together, and you get a tag line that matches both. Romney’s campaign has been steady from day one.

You look at his campaign now, and say yes, Believe in America is the perfect tag line. The messiah on the other hand has been fumbling around trying to find a good tagline. I supported Romney from day 1, because i knew he was competent. That was all I needed.

Chudi on June 22, 2012 at 12:40 PM

What he said…

wonk-a-donk on June 22, 2012 at 1:05 PM

‘Toon of the Day: We’ve Got The F.E.A.R. He’s Gots Da Fear

M2RB: Ian Brown

Resist We Much on June 22, 2012 at 1:31 PM

wizzdumb on June 22, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Pelosi and Reid may go down with the ship, but the rest of the party will leave first. Bill Clinton has been giving them some cover. As for Sharpton and Jackson, they have nowhere else to go. For them race is everything. They could never admit that Obama is a failure.

BTW, what’s with the delete and ban?

Gladtobehere on June 22, 2012 at 1:39 PM

That candidate Romney will be President.

These guys are good.

RarestRX on June 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

That’s exactly what struck me listening to them. Mitt Romney is NOT John McCain…and he really wants the job.

jan3 on June 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I’ll take the Mormon.

You can keep the moron.

NickDeringer on June 22, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Loool :) I’m stealing this :).

jimver on June 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM

That candidate Romney will be President.

These guys are good.

RarestRX on June 22, 2012 at 11:08 AM

jan3 on June 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I work in PR and worked in advertising before too, the use of ‘president Romney’ phrase is very powerfull and a very smart PR move from their team…

jimver on June 22, 2012 at 2:35 PM

It will be so nice to have a normal, mentally stable guy as president again.

Akzed on June 22, 2012 at 10:05 AM

+ 1,000

And I really like Romney’s new ad campaign.

Keep up the good work everybody!

wren on June 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM

It’s a Single-Issue Election

M2RB: Lisa Marie Presley

Resist We Much on June 22, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Romney has benefited from the dollars contributed, but he has one more benefactor: Obama. Every ideological act of destruction wrought upon our economy has been a gift to Romney, and it would be ungrateful of him to not make full use of it.

njcommuter on June 22, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Watch out, the little girl in the photo accompanying the headline is defiantly to young to vote but I am sure the Demoncates will have her name on the polls.

MSGTAS on June 23, 2012 at 9:07 AM