Quotes of the Day

posted at 9:16 pm on June 22, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

Sen. Charles Grassley on Friday stepped up his dispute with the White House over Operation Fast and Furious, as three of his Judiciary Committee investigators were provided to bolster Grassley’s claim that President Barack Obama’s spokesman was wrong Thursday about the fight over documents. …

Grassley, a critic of the Justice Department and FBI under both the Bush and Obama administrations, rejects the Obama White House assertion that Grassley is motivated by partisan politics.

“The accusation that I’m motivated by a desire for a ‘political scalp’ is baseless,” Grassley said in his written statement.

***

“(N)one of these limited communications between Mr. O’Reilly and Mr. Newell revealed the existence of any of the inappropriate investigative tactics at issue in your inquiry, let alone any decision to allow guns to ‘walk,’” wrote Ruemmler in a letter to the offices of Rep. Darrell Issa (R-Calif.) and Sen. Charles Grassley (R-Iowa). Citing Executive Branch confidentiality interests, Ruemmler said, “There is an insufficient basis to support the request to interview Mr. O’Reilly.”

***

If Justice Department documents that Issa’s committee seeks from Attorney General Eric Holder had been the subject of a top-secret meeting in the White House Situation Room, their contents already would have been splashed across the media. Issa could read the A1 New York Times story and be done with it.

***

***

Now, if documents aren’t handed over—which, sources say, include Holder’s emails—the full House will likely vote on holding Attorney General Holder in contempt.

Meanwhile, though these missing emails may or may not be as damning as the missing minutes were on the Nixon tapes, we should remember that it took almost eight months for the Watergate scandal to bust wide open into a national news story.

***

Then Congress should look into the overall flow of firearms from the United States into Mexico. The Fast and Furious weapons were just a small part of a much larger problem. Mexican officials have complained for years that lax U.S. gun laws have the effect of worsening drug-related violence along the border. The damage done by cocaine, marijuana and methamphetamine smuggled north across the border is mirrored by the damage done by guns smuggled south.

If Issa really wants to save U.S. and Mexican lives, he should convene hearings on banning the sale of high-powered weapons. I think Holder would be happy to testify.

***

Perhaps it’s true, as the White House has argued, that Mr. Issa’s investigation has degenerated into a partisan fishing expedition. And perhaps yielding to that would discourage candor in the councils of this and future administrations, as the Obama administration, echoing a standard plea of its predecessors, asserts.

But Congress’s authority to gather information is broad — as broad as its sweeping powers to legislate, spend public money and hold executive officials accountable through impeachment. No doubt a lot of congressional investigations are partisan fishing expeditions. For better or worse, that comes with the democratic territory. Absent very strong countervailing considerations — stronger than some of those the administration has asserted in this case — Congress is generally entitled to disclosure.

***

[T]he House could use its power of the purse. It could threaten to cut funding to the bureau running the Fast and Furious program or to the Justice Department as a whole. It could even refuse to pay Holder’s salary until he purges his contempt. Lower down the scale of confrontation, the House could pass a resolution censuring him or continue to hold hearings designed to embarrass him.

The House risks looking petty in doing any of this, just as the Obama administration risks looking petty by withholding information from Congress. As with all high-level conflicts over the separation of powers, whoever can win public opinion will ultimately win the day. And that is as it should be; after all, these people are competing to be our public servants. It is a fundamentally political contest and should be settled by political means.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM

I like this one:

Hellbound Train

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Morning OC…

Gohawgs on June 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

They really ruined Blessed Jesus at Thy Word, among others. LCMS retired LW in 2007 and replaced it with Lutheran Service Book. Page 15 from TLH was restored as Divine Service III, thankfully…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Glad to hear that there are improvements. We are getting some supplements that seem to have some more contemporary hymns, not all bad, some of them have some very good melodies and solid lyrics.

I guess the ones that bothered me the most was dropping the first melody for “Lord Dismiss Us with Thy Blessing” from the solid, “go out into the world and make disciples!” melody, to the sticky, sweet, somewhat lackadaisical melody, the use of one of the less well metered “Wie Shoen Leuchtet” melodies found in several of the hymns, and a halting meter added to the final Hallelujahs in “Christ the Lord is Risen Today”.

/and I’m rambling and griping. Shame on me

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Morning OC…

Gohawgs on June 23, 2012 at 1:45 AM

Hey, bud’
Mornin’

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Warren Z is one of the few artists that I just don’t tire of hearing.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Absolutely great and underrated while alive. He gets a lot of air time at the ziffel house and yet I had not even heard of him until “Lawyers, guns and money” linked on HA about a year ago.

HA–politics, music, food, sports and cane loader’s toilet troubles.
Love it.

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

I have a question. Would it be better to hope that the F&F investigation drags on until next spring? I mean, I hope that Holder is forced to resign before the election, but I don’t want any type of last minute pardon(s) granted.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 1:46 AM

I keep a TLH in my truck, my house and at the thrift shop where I do volunteer duty. I also have an electronic portable keyboard. Very good for devotionals. Do you know Pr. David Gray in AZ? He confirmed me in 1968…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

HA–politics, music, food, sports and cane loader’s toilet troubles.
Love it.

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 1:48 AM

Hey, you forgot rattlesnakes in door thresholds. ;-)

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM

BTW, where were you raised? We Texans have a lot of funny sayings, but I’ve never heard the “set my chickens free” line before. lol

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 1:38 AM

I’m a small town Hoosier and a Yankee by birth, but my mom was from Missouri and my dad was from Kentucky, so I have the sensibilities of a Southern boy.

The “set your chickens free” thing goes back at least 40 years for me. It generally refers to the loosening of inhibitions if not the degradation of judgment that accompanies the consumption of hard liquor.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 1:52 AM

I hope you will make some allowances this late in the evening. Once I get into the bourbon I tend to set my chickens free.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 1:32 AM

I get your point but be careful about letting your mule get out. :)

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Good evening.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM

Hope it is finding you well.

Betenoire on June 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Too many connection problems for me. (Hope I can figur this crap out.) See y’all soon.

RedCrow on June 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Do you know Pr. David Gray in AZ? He confirmed me in 1968…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Have you seen this link for TLH music?

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Wishbone Ash

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Thanks for that one. I haven’t heard that in sooooo long.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

RedCrow on June 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM

G’night Red

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

novaculus, I’ve also heard, How’s yer chickens? Spoken in a very deep South accent.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 1:57 AM

I’m afraid that name doesn’t ring a bell. Was he WELS or LCMS? Which congregation?.

Have you seen this link for TLH music?

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 1:55 AM

He is WELS, in Phoenix or Scottsdale. Your link/My link was where I got Hymn 644 from…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Good night RedCrow, Sleep Well.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

ROFL. Is the little piglet going to put himself out to stud? In Japan?

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 1:17 AM

Oh heh rah, ras wrong time.

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

HA! Don’t get me laughing, arnold. All this talk of chocolate (granted, I started it) finally forced me to the kitchen. I don’t want to have to ask Spark how to get Cappuccino Chocolate Frozen Pie out of my keyboard.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 1:59 AM

Hope it is finding you well.

Betenoire on June 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

It is, thank you. How are you doing?

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I get your point but be careful about letting your mule get out. :)

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 1:53 AM

Ah, the mule is gettin’ old. He ain’t nearly the trouble he used to be.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM

RedCrow on June 23, 2012 at 1:54 AM

Later, RC!

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Since I updated my Adobe Flash & java I haven’t had anymore problems here tonight…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 2:03 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Will do. Will check site tomorrow. Like your work and the photos.

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 1:57 AM

Oh man. I last heard that around the time I last heard Wishbone Ash.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:04 AM

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Just did a search on churches in Phoenix area. If it was 1968, I hate to break it to you, but I think he’s probably retired by now. :-)

We moved here from Texas a little over 10 years ago, so we only know those who have been here about that long.

Well, good night all.

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

arnold, good, if I’m around when you are there, I’ll slip you the email.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Good night AZ Sleep well.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:08 AM

G’night AZ

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Night, AZ.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Ah, the mule is gettin’ old. He ain’t nearly the trouble he used to be.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:01 AM

Yep. Not like in HS when the teacher would always call on you at not a good time. At least that’s what I heard happened.

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 2:07 AM

1968 he was fresh out of WLS sem in Omaha. I talked to him three or four years ago while he was in Scottsdale…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Hey, let’s liven up the joint. How about some good old-fashioned rock?

I Don’t Need No Doctor

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Drinking and Smoking.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Don’t you mean Mequon, Wisconsin? Even fresh out of sem, they’d be about 26 years old. That would make him about 70 now.

OK, really out of here now.

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:10 AM

Yeah, baby. I always play this one on my iPod.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

arnold ziffel on June 23, 2012 at 2:09 AM

Nope. That wasn’t me. But you remember the hot typing/business teacher with the rack? Yep.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:15 AM

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 1:51 AM

Hello, all. Just dropped in for a second before turning in and saw Grace’s question. Unfortunately, there are two problems with the wait until spring scenario:

1) Anything initiated and not completed in this, the 112th Congress, ends with the final adjournment of this Congress. And everything has to start over again. Obviously the 113th Congress can pick up where the last Congress left off, but bills have to be re-introduced, hearings have to be restarted, all under new committees, possibly with new chairmen, and a new House and Senate, possibly under new leadership. One advantage to the House getting its Holder contempt charge and subpoenas into a civil court as quickly as possible is that the courts are limited by Congressional sessions. The wheels of justice turn at their own pace.

2) Obama could pardon Holder right now if he wants to. Under Ex parte Garland, 71 U.S. 333 (1866), the SCOTUS ruled that:

9. The power of pardon conferred by the Constitution upon the President is unlimited except in cases of impeachment. It extends to every offence known to the law, and may be exercised at any time after its commission, either before legal proceedings are taken or during their pendency, or after conviction and judgment. The power is not subject to legislative control.

In other words, waiting until next spring so that Obama can’t pardon Holder (if he’s defeated in November) isn’t an effective tactic because Obama can pardon him “at any time after… commission” of “every offense known to law” even before there are legal proceedings, i.e., right now, or at any time during or after a trial.

So the House might as well get on with it.

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM

OK, really out of here now.

AZfederalist on June 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Yes, but his first assignment from Mequon was Omaha. I think he was at Emmaus, Phoenix…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM

It is, thank you. How are you doing?

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:00 AM

Lets just say “efforting” and leave it at that. ^^U

Betenoire on June 23, 2012 at 2:18 AM

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM

correction to previous: Courts are NOT limited by Congressional sessions.

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Thanks so much for answering. I felt a bit embarrassed to ask, but I always assumed the person had to be convicted before a pardon could take place. Well, this may get very interesting indeed.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:23 AM

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:14 AM

Steve Marriott was a great talent. Humble pie is one of my all-time faves.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Hey Sandusky! Karma is a b!tch!

John the Libertarian on June 23, 2012 at 2:28 AM

Well, now I have a followup question. Showing my ignorance again…
Why would the interpretation be THAT broad? Any crime, at any time after commission?

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:28 AM

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Grace, I missed that one, trying to keep up with the tunes. de riguer is right. If the criminal case is initiated, that goes on despite the end of the congressional term. The people of the US are the plaintiffs in that case. I don’t know what happens to a civil action for declaratory relief and enforcement of the subpoena. The Congress would be the plaintiff in that suit. At the least, a new congress would have to move to be substituted as plaintiff, I think.

Obama can pardon Holder for anything other than an impeachment until the moment he leaves office.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:30 AM

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Oh sure meanwhile I’m here frantically looking that up going WTF? How could he be so wrong? /

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:31 AM

How about something old and HEAVY?

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM

Again, I guess I’m just shocked to discover that the person can be pardoned before convicted. I probably just made that assumption because most high profile pardons that I can recall occurred in that manner.

Always good to learn something new. :)

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Could it be, did they just fix the issue with java and the site? Fingers crossed, Test.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:36 AM

Nope.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:37 AM

Always good to learn something new. :)

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Or not…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 2:37 AM

4Grace, I noticed earlier you said you played piano. What genre of stuff do you like playing?

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM

How about something old and HEAVY?

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:32 AM

That brings back memories.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:39 AM

Always good to learn something new. :)

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Nixon was pardoned before being convicted of anything and before impeachment proceedings could get under way.

Betenoire on June 23, 2012 at 2:40 AM

John the Libertarian on June 23, 2012 at 2:28 AM

JTL, if you’re still here…Good evening.
I was craving some Rolling Stones earlier. How nice of you to tie them in with today’s news. :)

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:41 AM

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:17 AM

Welcome. I think it will get very interesting. Issa probably would have like for this chain of events to kick off earlier this year, but you’ve got to agree that the timing, with Obama’s assertion of Executive Privilege forcing all the media finally to give F&F some airtime just as the campaign season is starting up is almost… providential.

Someone made the interesting point on one of the talk shows tonight that if the House votes Holder in contempt (and the Committee report to the House directly challenges the assertion of Executive Privilege) the same week that SCOTUS strikes down Obamacare, Obama heads into the general, asking for a second term of his administration, with hard slap-downs by the other two co-equal branches of government, while he tries to assert how effective he’s been.

Takes me a while to write these, so will concur with novaculus at 2:30 AM, the pardon power is practically unlimited, except for an offense that has led to impeachment… the worst result of which is censure and removal from office.

Here’s the whole Ex parte Garland decision if you want to read it.

And I’ll let you guys get back to business. Good night, all.

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Another gal who can play:

Ana

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:38 AM

The genre that has the colored dots on the sheet music & matching colors on the keys.

Actually, I played for a zillion years, then was without a piano for a long time. I’m currently babysitting someone’s piano for a year or 2, so just getting back in.

I like to play most anything. Hymns, Christmas stuff, Show tunes, Classical, Pop

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Good night de rigueur, nice to see you, sleep well.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:45 AM

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:44 AM

Yep. Me too. Have keyboard will travel…

OmahaConservative on June 23, 2012 at 2:46 AM

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM

G’night

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:46 AM

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Good night. Thanks again for the info. Much appreciated.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:47 AM

Well, will leave this for Holder and Obama.

de rigueur on June 23, 2012 at 2:48 AM

4Grace, I have a piano, can’t play. It’s a nice piano, 5’3″ Boston, sounds nice anyway. I wish it got played more, it seems ashame not for it to get played much.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:48 AM

How nice of you

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:41 AM

Anything 4 a bit of grace. ;)

John the Libertarian on June 23, 2012 at 2:49 AM

Good one de rigueur. ; )

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Ana

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:42 AM

Most excellent. I could listen to that all day.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:48 AM

Well, I think that you and/or Mrs. B just need to start some lessons. I mean that.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Brilliant guitarist, and smokin’ hot. She has a concert scheduled with the Evansville Philharmonic the end of September My b’day is 10-2, and I’m thinking of going down for it, even though it is completely the other end of the state from me.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM

Ever heard this angel?

John the Libertarian on June 23, 2012 at 2:55 AM

John the Libertarian on June 23, 2012 at 2:49 AM

I see what you did there. :)

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:55 AM

4Grace, she plays , just not enough for my liking. Lol! Strictly classical arrangements. Of course I enjoy that very much, just not often enough.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:59 AM

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM

You should totally go!! Road trip/concert/b-day…triple the fun.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 2:59 AM

Ever heard this angel?

John the Libertarian on June 23, 2012 at 2:55 AM

Gorgeous. Haunting.

I was laughing at one of the comments posted under the vid. Someone was not happy that 4 or 5 people had “disliked” the song.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:04 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 2:59 AM

My dream is to one day live in a house that has a room dedicated to a beautiful baby grand. Actually, owning a beautiful baby grand is another dream. :)

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:06 AM

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM

You really should treat yourself, she’s very good and worth the drive, make it an outing top drawer.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 3:07 AM

4Grace, they are lovely instruments, quite heavy. Ours is on the second floor in its own area. Might have to make a photo or two of it, plenty of room at the place for an entry. ; )

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 3:11 AM

Yes, please post photos!

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:12 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 3:07 AM

I just might do it. It marks the end of my 12th lustrum.

Anybody know any good honky-tonks in Evansville? Might as well make a weekend out of it.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 3:13 AM

Well guess its time for me to call it a night. If Dire shows up, remind him there is a tune somewhere back ther for him. Lol!

Good Night All.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 3:17 AM

I have a couple CDs by these gals. Love their voices. So pure.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Good night, B!

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:18 AM

novaculus, do it, it will be great fun. Sorry to say I know nothing about that area.

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM

Bmore on June 23, 2012 at 3:19 AM

B, I used to play this song. Sounds simple, but the key changes and the fingering are quite difficult.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:23 AM

G’night, Bmore.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 3:25 AM

Well, nova, are you going to close down the bar tonight?

I’ll buss a few tables on my way out.

Good night!

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:28 AM

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:17 AM

Lovely.

How about this:

Here and Heaven

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 3:28 AM

G’night Grace. Just hit the lights on your way out, I’m gonna lay my head down right here on the bar…

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM

Here and Heaven

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 3:28 AM

Very, very nice.

novaculus on June 23, 2012 at 3:29 AM

I’m just gonna strap you in, nova. For your own safety. :)
Night.

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:34 AM

The coat hanger lady’s favorite singer

Gohawgs on June 23, 2012 at 4:05 AM

That’s all

Gohawgs on June 23, 2012 at 4:18 AM

4Grace on June 23, 2012 at 3:06 AM

Good morning, 4G! We have such a room. Most people would call it a living room, I call it my Quiet Room. No TV! Reading and music only–I should probably call it my Sanity Room! We have a grand piano we bought a few years ago, our daughters have played piano since their pre-school years–the oldest is almost 21. The kids know that the QR is MY room–invitation only. Homeschooling moms sometimes need decompression time at the end of a particularly trying day : ))). But all they have to say is, “I’ll play for you, Mom” and they are in! My favorites are when they play anything by Lorie Line from her Heritage Collection, especially Down in the Valley–instant calm : ))) You can go to her website for her CDs/sheet music. Oh, you won’t be sorry! My Quiet Room truly will be quiet when the Little-ist Scot goes to college in two years : ((((

herm2416 on June 23, 2012 at 6:31 AM

these people are competing to be our public servants

What an antiquated notion! Messiahs who despise the limiting powers of the constitution and threaten to go around congress, ignore court decisions, and refuse to come clean about their own administration’s involvement in international murder, can hardly be considered to be desirous of being a servant to anyone.

Perhaps if you reverse the very concept and call it what it is rapidly becoming–we serve at the government’s command–you get an A+ for a grade.

Don L on June 23, 2012 at 6:40 AM

From Article II, Section. 2:

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

The problem with a pardon is that while it offers refuge from criminal prosecution, the domain of power for Congress is to ensure the orderly working of the government via the legislation that it passes and that those who are hired to execute those orders do so faithfully and to the procedures set up by Congress. It is not an Offense against the US to not be able to do your job properly or to have poor interpretation of the law, or to be unable to craft a good administration of such laws in a department of the federal government.

One can have problems of those sorts and still not be giving an Offense to the US. Not all procedural problems are criminal in nature in the government and Congress, due to its separate power grant for creating Legislation and funding it, has a separate basis for investigation of problems and even wrong-doing in the government that are not to the level of criminal. That is part of the role and responsibility of Congress: to make sure its part of the sovereign power grant is being properly carried out even if there is no criminality attached to what it is looking into. Or even if you are pardoned for criminality, the problems that Congress looks into only involve criminality as a by-product of its power when things go so badly they need criminal redress.

Just seeking to get a straight answer from someone who has volunteered for government service is not, on its own, seeking a criminal sanction. It is the Legislative branch’s prerogative to ensure the laws it has crafted are being faithfully executed to the desires of Legislative branch in its two halves. A pardon doesn’t exempt you from mere procedural oversight. And one cannot be granted if an Offense is found to be impeachable. That can be carried out even if someone is not in office so as to demonstrate that the misconduct is impeachable, which removes the pardon from that individual. There is a check and balance on the pardon power, just as the Executive Privilege (like the Judicial and Congressional) are delimited as well in their scope. I remember that this was being debated after the Ford pardon of Nixon, and Congress had neither the want nor will to actually go through with an impeachment of Nixon when he was out of office. Politics played a large part in that, of course. Congress has got to feel pretty well crossed to be that vindictive. The Power of Impeachment given to the House and Senate has no statute of limitations to it.

From Art I, Sec 2:

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

From Art I, Sec 3:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Those are the sovereign power check and balances via impeachment. No limitations backwards in time are given. Once you hold office in the government and function to administer those areas duly legislated by Congress, you are on the hook for doing them and doing them well as seen by Congress.

No a pardon doesn’t help Holder as there is no reason not to testify before Congress for the power and spending authorization that Congress had granted to Holder: he is on the hook for that and not a single thing a President can do can save him from that Congressional reach. That is just how you would want it, so that no branch of power can usurp the powers of the other branches, and that is why the sovereign power grants are not ‘co-equal’ but have separate domains that allow checks and balances between them. They are all an expression of the sovereign power as granted by the people, but those are not equal but separate power domains as they are all a part of the sovereign power and are defined and differentiated in the Constitution.

By having an impeachment open an individual up for other proceedings, it is an express check on the pardon power for those who are in or who have served in government office. I can’t think of a single time when a pardon was overturned by an impeachment… maybe Obama will be ‘historic’ in more ways than he ever imagined…

ajacksonian on June 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM

ajacksonian on June 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM

You’re a lawyer, aren’t you? That was very interesting.

Night Owl on June 23, 2012 at 8:06 AM

“Petty”? There is nothing “petty” about F & F, Ed. What are you trying to get at here?

Ah the hell with it.

minnesoter on June 22, 2012 at 11:49 PM

Oh my, it would appear the night crew was derelict in their duties for letting this slip by without addressing your apparent confusion. But that’s nothing new, they always leave the clean-up to the morning crew. :-)

The quotes in the QOTD thread are not written by Allah, or in this case, Ed. They are a compilation of snippets from various articles and editorials found around the web pertaining to a particular issue.

For instance, you referenced the term “petty”. I’m assuming you were referring to the last quote which included, “The House risks looking petty in doing any of this…”

That was actually written by Josh Chafetz in an editorial at The Miami Herald titled, “If the House holds Holder in contempt, what then?”

Clicking on the links in the highlighted text in each of the quotes included in the QOTD will take you to the full articles.

Flora Duh on June 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Flora Duh on June 23, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Thanks Flora Duh -been there and done that before.

Don L on June 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM

Thanks Flora Duh -been there and done that before.

Don L on June 23, 2012 at 8:24 AM

It took me a couple of days to figure out what QOTD was all about. I don’t understand why management doesn’t put a short explanation at the top of each QOTD thread – but – its not my blog.

Flora Duh on June 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM