O’Malley: Democrats need to “stop being so precious” with their money and donate already

posted at 4:01 pm on June 22, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

Democrats are starting to feel a tad bit nervous about the amount of cash Mitt Romney is managing to generate for his presidential campaign — he’s quite literally giving President Obama a run for his money.

Obama for America and the Democratic National Committee had a combined $139 million in the bank while the newly minted presumptive GOP nominee, Mitt Romney, and the Republican National Committee had a total of $44 million. And $35 million of that was the RNC’s. Mr. Romney’s coffers were nearly bare.

Fast forward to June 7. The Obama campaign announced the combined Democratic effort had taken in $60 million in May, primarily from an extensive schedule of presidential fundraisers (including $15 million from a dinner at actor George Clooney’s).

That afternoon, Team Obama received an unwelcome surprise when the Romney campaign and RNC announced they raised a combined $76 million during May. …

The Democrats’ official fundraising numbers, released on Wednesday, showed that the $95 million cash-on-hand advantage Obama and the DNC had over the Republicans at the end of April had been cut by two-thirds at the end of May to $33 million. This is in part because the Obama campaign is burning through its war chest so fast and in part because of the impressive $107 million that the Romney campaign and the RNC announced they had on hand at May’s end.

Come on, Democrats, it’s time to pony up, open your checkbooks, and get President Obama reelected! At least that was the message Maryland Governor Martin O’Malley had for the illiberal liberals of his own party on MSNBC this morning.

“I think all of us need to do everything we can,” the Democratic Governors Association chairman said on MSNBC’s “Morning Joe.” “That’s true of people of limited means, people of great means. You can’t just sit back and say, oh, because the extreme right is trying to buy this election, we’re going to unilaterally disarm.”

He continued: “I think we all need to put our oars in the water and we all need to row forward and I think especially Democrats of means have to stop being so precious about the magic wand that the president hasn’t waved on this issue, that issue or the other issue. I mean, my goodness, I thought we were working and electing a president, not a magician here. This is the real world.”

Hmm — formerly loyal supporters either do not have, or are unwilling to give, gobs of their hard-earned money to the president who has presided over the most meager not-a-recovery since the Great Depression? That’s so strange.

Comments

Not “president.”

LIGHTWORKER.

greggriffith on June 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Or instead of giving a wedding gift or other present, you can direct the monies instead to the “OBAMA EVENT REGISTRY”.

Getting married? President Barack Obama’s re-election campaign has the perfect wedding gift in mind.

The campaign has started an “Obama event registry” to let engaged fans of the president ask friends and family for donations to his re-election bid instead of presents.

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Forget the wedding gift…how about you make a donation to the Obama campaign instead?

GOPRanknFile on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

It’s the patriotic thing to do — Biden

John the Libertarian on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

The odor of desperation from the Democrats is perfume to me!

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

You beat me to it!

GOPRanknFile on June 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Lolz!

OmahaConservative on June 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Like I said on another thread about potential 2016 people not long ago, count this douche as one of the main ones.

gsherin on June 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

They are so obsessed with other people’s money.

Flange on June 22, 2012 at 4:06 PM

The odor of desperation from the Democrats is perfume to me!

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

And their tears are nectar.

SKYFOX on June 22, 2012 at 4:06 PM

the “OBAMA EVENT REGISTRY”

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I have officially seen it all. That’s it. There’s nothing more to see or say. I’m going to go sit down in a corner and suck my thumb.

John the Libertarian on June 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

It’s funny how they talk about other people’s money…

… isn’t it?

Seven Percent Solution on June 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

My governor. I’m so proud /sarc

There aren’t many millionaires left in O’Malley’s state. He chased them out. Aren’t many middle class left either because he’s taxed us to the point where we’d actually earn more on welfare.

And he’s a Maryland Democrat. Bought and paid for undoubedly.

He is very probably the worst governor in the Country and I say that knowing there’s a Jerry Brown out there.

Portia46 on June 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Basically, O’Malley’s telling Democrats they don’t need Barack Obama to reach into their pockets and throw away their money with his boondoggle programs, they can do it for themselves by sending donations to his re-election campaign.

jon1979 on June 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

How deeply the Messiah has dropped.

Schadenfreude on June 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

This is the “Governor” who on the night of Scott Walker’s great victory refused to be gracious and sneered “Well, he hasn’t been indicted, yet. He isn’t in jail, yet.”

Wouldn’t spit on you if you was on fire, guy.

Marcus on June 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

They could just pull some paper money out their wallet and burn it. Much easier, and same result.

RBMN on June 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Buying the election?
Look in the mirror bub

cmsinaz on June 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Translation: of course he can’t do anything. He’s the President. But he’s out President so stop whining and give up your remaining millions.

Doesn’t seem like a winning angle to take to me.

stldave on June 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM

John the Libertarian on June 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

John — I hate to tell you this, there is yet more they can do.

In ancient Rome, some Emperors would force wealth citizens to leave all their money and possessions to Caesar in their wills. Then these citizens would be forced to commit suicide or meet an untimely end in some other way.

My question: Is this the next avenue for Team Obama to extract more donations????

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM

… AND, when(!) obama is re-elected, all of your personal wealth is going to be seized and re-distributed anyway, so you might as well hand it over voluntarily while you still have a choice – it’s simply the right thing to do … or something.

Pork-Chop on June 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM

Comrade O’Malley says: Pony up fellow leftists.

I can’t stand him, and not just because he ‘bullied’ me when I was a freshman and he was a senior in high school. He is gutless coward.

H.E. Pennypacker on June 22, 2012 at 4:12 PM

John the Libertarian on June 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM | Delete | Delete and Ban

Here are some ideas for bho’s money issues?

L

letget on June 22, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Does O’Malley think Democrats are on a Roman slave ship and forced to row?

My Prrrrrrecioussssssss!!! Gollum O’Malley to the rescue of the Lord of Mordor! Did Sauron Obama stop the seas from rising yet?

Steve Z on June 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I’m going to go sit down in a corner and suck my thumb.

John the Libertarian on June 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

No no no. You should be jumping for joy.

Their desperation is so complete that their about to put The Onion out of the parody business.

WisRich on June 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Why should they give any to Obama 2012 when they can pay more taxes to save or create more jobs ?

J_Crater on June 22, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Dems don’t need any money for the campaign. They have the whole MSM working overtime for them. There’s no price one can put on that sort of support.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Gone are the heady days of Sputnik and Yuri Gagarin the seas lowering and the skies clearing, people not having to pay for gas and groceries, and standing above it all like a god-figure. Now Barky is just a regular old human being trying to solve really tough problems.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM

“Comrades! We must abolish the cult of the individual decisively, once and for all!”
Nikita Khrushev

eyedoc on June 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM

that union pipeline has a severe kink in it. yesterday’s SCOTUS decision is only gonna make it worse. no wonder the left hates Cit U…

teejk on June 22, 2012 at 4:17 PM

OMG…the Obama Event Registry? Remember when Hillary “registered” for some very nice Spode when she left the White House?

The wits at twitter (and I’m not being at all sarcastic) are going to have a ball with this one. Who do you think is running his campaign? The same person who picks out Michelle’s clothes?

Portia46 on June 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM

The odor of desperation from the Democrats is perfume to me!

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:05 PM

And their tears are nectar.

SKYFOX on June 22, 2012 at 4:06 PM

You can actually see it on his face…

Seven Percent Solution on June 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM

The fleecing will continue until morale improves. Wait. Screw the morale, just give up the bucks.

WisRich on June 22, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Wow they must really be running on fumes. This is the third surrogate to come out and demand money.

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

That idea is mind boggling dumb. Give Obama a donation instead of a wedding gift? WOW. How low can they go?

dogsoldier on June 22, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

That Obama Event thing is beyond desperate.

It’s just pretty damn creepy to me.

jersey taxpayer on June 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM

***

And he’s a Maryland Democrat. Bought and paid for undoubedly.

***

Portia46 on June 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I was going to say that I thought the WSJ has been reporting that O’Malley has been taxing MD residents into oblivion.

That said, I was in Annapolis for a few days for my nephew’s graduation from the USNA. My family rented a house from a USNA grad, and we received his local Annapolis paper. I was surprised–and heartened–to see some very conservative political cartoons and a few letters to the editor ripping Obama and O’Malley new ones.

BuckeyeSam on June 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM

If you don’t want to voluntarily donate or use the Barky Gift Registry, you also have the option of direct deposit which will automatically deduct 50% of your wages and apply to Bark’s campaign fund.

You don’t want to be seen as a greedy fascist, do you? Give generously, give today. Or else.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM

O’Malley was a failure as the mayor of Baltimore, so he got promoted to bring failing policies to the whole state of Maryland.

My mother, who voted for Democrats all her life until having to choose between Ehrlich & Kennedy-Townsend in 2002, can’t stand him.

He get pwned by my governor, Bob McDonnell, when they make joint appearances on Meet the Liberal Press.

22044 on June 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Er, most Democrats who voted for Obama were looking for him to give them some money.

Punchenko on June 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Second round of anna wintour, SJP, JLO gathering? :)…come on, where are all the rappers, hip hoppers, the bon jovis, the springsteens, the kardashians, and the rest of the holywood and reality show idiocracy…sean penn, whe are you hiding?? where’s the small donors form Palestine, Europe and elsewhere… come on, y’all, open those purses already, you cheap bastards, Baraka orders you to be patriotic and donate :)…..btw, whatever happened to soros, why is he not flooding the dems coffers with his greenies….bit disenchanted with bammie, or decided to pursue the NWO on his own :)….

jimver on June 22, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Hey O’Malley, you forgot to add that Barry will have more “flexibility” to wave his magic wand after the election.

AZCoyote on June 22, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Saying that, I will donate another 250.00 to Romney campaign :)… Small donor here :)…

jimver on June 22, 2012 at 4:26 PM

…..hey genius…..
Obama’s own campaign foundation for 2008 was based on “Hope and Change” and all he did was make grandiose promises of how he was going to fix all of our woes.
Don’t put this off on the electorate.Obama himself was more than happy to go around playing the liberal Messiah while the MSM and the knee pad brigade glorified his every move as “historical” and the work of a super intelligent being ….a lightworker…….that was going to bring peace,love,and prosperity.
Apparently you have forgotten the articles about “Obama walking down the beach with the sun glistening off his fantastic chest” in the Washington Post.
Maybe you weren’t paying attention when writers from the NY Times were asking Obama how “enchanted” he was during press conferences.

We had Hollywood stars that are so important to the democratic policy agenda proclaiming Obama as “another Jesus”…..”Ghandi”…..
Newsweek editors proclaimed him like “God…looking down over the Earth”….
We had so called news anchors like Chris Matthews “getting tingles up their legs” when Obama spoke.

All we heard was how incredible the orating skills of Mr. teleprompter were and how his majestic demeanor and incredible intelligence was going to win over foreign nations….bring all sides together…..and rescue us from the
awful BushHtitler…..
Don’t prop your boy king up to stratospheric levels so that he can win the Presidency…..then declare the electorate as having expectations to high when he not only doesn’t come through…..but has failed miserably.

Epic Fail.

Baxter Greene on June 22, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Come on libs, it’s time to step up and give till it hurts.

DaveDief on June 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Only in the Dims’ alternate universe is Mitt Romney a candidate of the “extreme right.”

AZCoyote on June 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Apparently the O´s ¨outsourcing¨¨ for donations is drying up also.

derecho on June 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Portia46 on June 22, 2012 at 4:18 PM

This guy…

Seven Percent Solution on June 22, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Hey he does have the advantage of buying votes with free phones! Check out Obamaphone.net your tax dollars at work!

ldbgcoleman on June 22, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Pay up or else….

By the end of another 4 years he’ll just be doing a automatic deduction from your government stipend weather you want to or not….

In other news, The Obama administration announced today they will be placing Political Officers in many neighborhoods as a way to better serve the people..

RockyJ. on June 22, 2012 at 4:33 PM

GOPRanknFile on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Coming soon..

Instead of flowers at the funeral of your loved one..how about donating to the Obama campaign instead?

Instead of that expensive surgery you need to survive..how about donating to the Obama campaign instead?

The possiblilities are endless!!

HumpBot Salvation on June 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM

Mutnodjmet on June 22, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Is there a gay marriage registry? Obama’s blessing cost him plenty, so they ought to give twice!

de rigueur on June 22, 2012 at 4:37 PM

AZCoyote on June 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Mitt Romney is a member of the “Extreme Right” now? OMG..

The leftist are truly out of any resemblance of the truth…

RockyJ. on June 22, 2012 at 4:38 PM

When the new school year begins in the fall, all public school teachers will hand out envelopes for students to fill with money and return to the teacher for TFGRP’s campaign. A special chart on the wall of every class will track which students are all-stars and which are in need of encouragement.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Well welcome to the real world, I guess in the “Real World” people do not feel like giving money to a con man.

Fool me once shame on you , fool me twice….. no way…

I guess the leftist are just having a difficult time understanding reality..

RockyJ. on June 22, 2012 at 4:41 PM

once again I’m ashamed he’s my governor.

on the bright side the orioles are still playing meaningful baseball in june

analog kid on June 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Wouldn’t spit on you if you was on fire, guy.

Marcus on June 22, 2012 at 4:10 PM

O’Malley is one of the biggest up-and-coming jerks in the Democratic party.

He’s doing what any typical Democrat governor would do, raising taxes through the roof for Maryland residents. Exactly the opposite of what he should be doing.

If anyone should be in prison, it is him, for crimes against productive working people.

UltimateBob on June 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM

once again I’m ashamed he’s my governor.

on the bright side the orioles are still playing meaningful baseball in june

analog kid on June 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM

We’re not doing much better here in Delaware. But at least our governor hasn’t (yet) put a 9% tax on alcoholic drinks served in bars and restaurants.

Outrageous. I have vowed not to visit any bars or restaurants in Maryland until this tax is eliminated.

UltimateBob on June 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM

I like your style, Erika.

MisterElephant on June 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM

BuckeyeSam on June 22, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I hope you had a nice time! Congratulations to your nephew.
The Annapolis area isn’t bad. Baltimore City/County, Prince George’s County and Montgomery County may not be salvageable.

bettycooper on June 22, 2012 at 4:49 PM

Guess Team Obama is finding out that ‘the private sector IS NOT doing fine’. And their low campaign contributions show it!

GarandFan on June 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 4:39 PM

OK, you’re getting ahead of me a little bit here.

I know what TFGP is, but what’s TFGRP?

And what’s TFNP, which I saw mentioned here recently?

UltimateBob on June 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

You can’t just sit back and say, oh, because the extreme right is trying to buy this election . . .”

“Extreme Right?” . . . “Extreme Right???”

Do the Dems realize they’re writing Mitt’s campaign material for him?

TheClearRiver on June 22, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I don’t understand the need to advertise this candidate. We are familiar with him, no? Everyone on the planet knows who he is by now. Doesn’t he already get enough face-time? Does he need to buy more? Why? I thought he was going to have a billion dollars to spend to print up bumper sticks and make badges, where did that money go? The same place the stimulus went?

vityas on June 22, 2012 at 4:55 PM

O’Malley is one of the biggest up-and-coming jerks in the Democratic party.

UltimateBob on June 22, 2012 at 4:46 PM

The uber-leftists at League of Conservation Voters invited him to keynote their annual big fundraiser earlier this month. They asked him to give a ‘presidential’ speech because they’d like to back him in 2016.
Otherwise, many around here think he’s too dumb to get very far.

bettycooper on June 22, 2012 at 4:56 PM

UltimateBob on June 22, 2012 at 4:51 PM

The first gun running president.

The first Nazi president.

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Is there anyone else as smarmy as O’Malley? He’s the illegitimate intellectual offspring of Debbie W-S and David Axelrod– no lie too wrong and no tactic too dirty. Since he reports to Nancy Pelosi’s brother, Tommy, I guess we can’t be surprised but, still, it’s a shock when you hear him speak.

MTF on June 22, 2012 at 4:59 PM

…squeezing blood out of a turd…

KOOLAID2 on June 22, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Bishop on June 22, 2012 at 4:23 PM

50%!?! That’s just like the death tax. OMG! You mean the Democrats plan is for people to “Die Quickly”!?!

txhsmom on June 22, 2012 at 5:02 PM

In a perfect world for Democrats, any money not donated to them should be taxed at 100%

xdwall on June 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Money is not going to be a problem for little Bammie. The democratics’ favorite Nazi stooge George Soros will soon reopen his credit card donation phone bank in Gaza where he will launder whatever donations little Bammie needs using prepaid credit cards bought with cash.

slickwillie2001 on June 22, 2012 at 5:05 PM

That’s why folks in Maryland (the worker’s paradise) call him Martin O’Money!

Galtian on June 22, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Whining complaining, and demanding my money…

Yep, it’s a liberal campaigning.

Wait, it’s campaign SEASON… I’ll get my hunting bow.

And I have to get a license first; where do I get those?

gekkobear on June 22, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Waaaaaaah!

Ward Cleaver on June 22, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Starvation and homelessness are patriotic, so give your food and rent money to the Obama campaign, tightwads.

Philly on June 22, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Since I don’t have enough money to put gas in the boat I guess I’ll have to row it.

Translation: Even though i can’t name a single thing he’s done in over 3 years that makes your life better,, give me your money even if you have to eat crackers for dinner.

BacaDog on June 22, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Obumbo needs more money… I smell another stimulus in the works! Ben the Marxist Fed Chair just last week (lets twist again, like we did last summer) donated another 286B to Obumbo’s campaign.

aposematic on June 22, 2012 at 5:47 PM

I guess the flow from certain unions isn’t going to come in quite as expected, eh?
Also, DooDad Pro and friends must be out of work and Julia is still spending her money on contraceptives.

either orr on June 22, 2012 at 5:48 PM

John the Libertarian on June 22, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Oh yea, just wait till Obama really gets desperate and they start in with the “Sell a Kidney for Obama” campaign…

SWalker on June 22, 2012 at 6:00 PM

I always use the word extreme,” Chuckie Schumer said. “That is what the caucus instructed me to use this week.”

Fallon on June 22, 2012 at 6:31 PM

FEC.GOV says “O’Malley, Martin” of Maryland hasn’t donated a dime in this election cycle.

“Leading from behind”

BobMbx on June 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

So is Mitt promising more to the big shots than Obama is? Seems like Obama really has been pretty good for the bank accounts of major companies and financial concerns. Haven’t heard any rumors about either George Soros nor the Koch Brothers heading to the poor house any time soon. Just because we may be worse off than we were four years ago doesn’t mean that the people that really count to these weasels are hurting.

Sure, they may have lost tens of millions, but they’ve made hundreds of millions as well. Just doesn’t work that way for us unless you happen to have the $, the time and the know-how to do short-selling and long-selling on the international markets.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 22, 2012 at 6:54 PM

“Leading from behind”

BobMbx on June 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Thread winner.

MTF on June 22, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Out: Yes we can!

In: Give me your money and no one gets hurt!

BDavis on June 23, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Portia46 on June 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

You are absolutely correct. I am getting ready to retire and it won’t be here in Maryland.

To all on this board beware. O’Malley in my opinion, is the most devious lying politician working today. He wants to be President of the U.S. and he will burn down Maryland and all of the country to get there.

Spots the Dog on June 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM

O’Barky’s traditional revenue streams have been drained dry; some of the Hollywierd bosses began seeing the light months ago.

And now, apparently, some of the glitterati are starting to catch on, too!

Boycotting the BigScreen does work!

CaveatEmpty on June 23, 2012 at 8:28 AM

Portia46 on June 22, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I also feel your pain. As a city resident, I know all too well of his actions.

I love my state but it is becoming a cesspool of the likes of California. The only difference is the location of DC.

Spots the Dog on June 23, 2012 at 6:47 AM

I’ve been saying this since his first election as Guv. He’s as slick as they come. I just hope there is salvation before 2015.

“Leading from behind”

BobMbx on June 22, 2012 at 6:32 PM

You were looking under the wrong name. Try his first AG of MD or his wife’s maiden name. He probably thinks no one will look.

And since M’OM really wants full gambling in our state, I wouldn’t be surprised if he slips into the legislation that the DNC gets a cut of your winnings, after taxes of course.

At this point, I’m not sure which will come first…moving day or Nov. 6th.

JohnnyD on June 23, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Silly, liberals are only generous with other people’s money.

Here in MD, we call him Martin O’Money

Bevan on June 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Guys like his A-hole need to be tied to a chair and forced to watch the lying a** halo wearing, messiah projections that were fed to the unsuspecting brain deads, moderates and white guilters 3.8 years ago.
You guys sold a Walk on Water Miracle Worker… Don’t try to get out of being tared and feathered now you… you… Snake Oil Salesman.

RalphyBoy on June 23, 2012 at 6:57 PM