Video: Bullied bus monitor finds out that the Internet’s raised $125,000 for her

posted at 3:51 pm on June 21, 2012 by Allahpundit

The magical moment comes at 4:45 below. It’s unclear whether she already knew that people were donating and is shocked to learn how much they’ve kicked in or whether she’s finding out for the first time about the donation webpage, but either way, this is pure gold. If you suffered through yesterday’s bus ride through hell, watch this and be made whole again.

Needless to say, it’s not really about the money.

“I am amazed,” she said. “I’ve gotten the nicest letters, emails, Facebook messages. It’s like, wow, there’s a whole world out there that I didn’t know. It’s just really awesome.”

Oh, forgot to mention: The Fox interview happened around eight hours ago, so the $125,000 figure that Doocy quotes to her is already outdated — way, way outdated. As I’m writing this at 3:45, the anti-bully fundraising jackpot stands at … $290,000. And to think, I thought ObamaCare getting spiked by the Supreme Court was going to be our feelgood post of the day.

Two clips for you here, one from Fox and the other via Mediaite of CNN interviewing the man who put the donation page together. At this point, the Internet needs an “It’s a Wonderful Life” finale to this story replete with the formal presentation of a big check from the Reddit guys, no? “A toast, to our friend Karen — the richest woman in town.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 6

…have the young Democrats been spanked yet?

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Seven Percent Solution on June 21, 2012 at 3:53 PM

….I liked Cindy’s comment yesterday…I’m still lol!

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

I was bullied once. And I accept PayPal.

Just sayin’

Cicero43 on June 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Good over Evil

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Dems: Raise her tax rates

faraway on June 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

That’s it. I’m adblocking Hot Air.

I can’t take Undertone ads taking over my browser.

Pathetic Townhall.

p0s3r on June 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

$290,000?!? Wow!! Awesome!!

Bitter Clinger on June 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Feel-good moment of the day. She makes $15k doing her job. She nearly has enough for 20 years.

amerpundit on June 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Awesome news: bullied woman gets $300K
More awesome news: BCS gets playoff system!

Gohawgs hardest hit! Here comes the Pac-12!

John the Libertarian on June 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Kids can be such bastards nowadays. We’d have never thought of treating our elders this way.

Ward Cleaver on June 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Just out of curiosity, AP, why do the tags for this post include “athena” and “Greece?”

steebo77 on June 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

God bless her.

the new aesthetic on June 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I hope she takes the money and quits that job. I would like to volunteer to work as her replacement free of charge.

Kataklysmic on June 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

steebo77 on June 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM
The area of Rochester, N.Y. is Athena, Greece.

the new aesthetic on June 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I would whoop my kids butts if I ever heard them talking that way to anyone much less an elderly woman!

maables on June 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Heh. Can Clarence create an alternate reality where none of those kids on the bus were ever born?

Doughboy on June 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Ward Cleaver on June 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Tell me about it. I’m 36 and if I had been caught talking to anyone like that – let alone someone in charge – I wouldn’t have been able to sit for a month without wincing.

tdpwells on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

A happy ending? Hardly. The feds will take half that money. She lives in New York, so they’ll take another 25%. The animals who taped her will find some slimeball democrat lawyer to sue her for the rest, claiming slander or that she once touched them or some such thing, so she’ll be hiring attorneys, and now that those vicious animals in her town that some call “students riding the bus” know she might have a wad of cash, she’ll never be safe again in her own home. No. This one won’t have a happy ending. And the media will be long gone by then.

Rational Thought on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

This bullying is what happens when kids are raised by Republicans. Very sad, but glad the good half of America is helping her out.

“Identify her doners” — Obama

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

w00h00!!! $295k!

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Gnatbrain

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

tdpwells on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

And my mouth would have been washed out with soap.

gophergirl on June 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Kataklysmic on June 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I’m willing to pay for a 6’4″ retired Marine to be her replacement. I’m guessing the bus would be a lot quieter pretty quickly.

amerpundit on June 21, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Try again

gophergirl on June 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Try again

gophergirl on June 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

You’re asking too much.

tdpwells on June 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

And, you know … you KNOW … YOU know … YOU KNOW – that these worthless, little shits have already been mind-fornicated into being Obamuh apparatchiks.

This is the base of the Democrat Party – the base, in every sense of the word.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Delusional.

either orr on June 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Kiss my a………..

Tool

Bitter Clinger on June 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM

This bullying is what happens when kids are raised by Republicans Leftist school systems. Very sad, but glad the good half of America is helping her out.

Gratis

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:02 PM

That’s it. I’m adblocking Hot Air.
I can’t take Undertone ads taking over my browser.
Pathetic Townhall.
p0s3r on June 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Same. Absolutely ridiculous.

JSR08 on June 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Cocaine is a helluva drug, ain’t it..

blatantblue on June 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Ward Cleaver on June 21, 2012 at 3:56 PM

As someone else mentioned, if this happened when I was that age, I would’ve gotten slapped by the nearest adult; slapped twice by Mom and kicked in the a$$ by my Dad when I got home.

That’s the problem nowadays (oh God, now I sound like my grandfather…) juveniles raising delinquents.

SteveInRTP on June 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Good for her. I hope she really can retire.

MisterElephant on June 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Conservatives respect the individual. Liberals, by contrast, are fiercely tribal and encourage groupthink. Are you sure you want to stand by this attempt at snark?

John the Libertarian on June 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Tears

jake-the-goose on June 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Delusional.

either orr on June 21, 2012 at 4:01 PM

So what are you saying? That Rochester, NY isn’t chock full of conservatives? /

Kataklysmic on June 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

So, what group of people do those kids behavior most resemble? Let me think…public union thugs, perhaps? Yep.

Also, Conservatives give way more to charity (on average) than Liberals.

As an above poster said, try again.

JSR08 on June 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Seriously?? After witnessing what comes out of the orifices Democrats call mouths you can say that?

SteveInRTP on June 21, 2012 at 4:07 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 P

So how much did *you* drop into the pot, Chuckles?

Thought so.

BlaxPac on June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Its the old lady for the win!

Get used to it kids, it’s your future.

Lonetown on June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

inthebubble on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

This from a mental midget who’s member of the stingy party (given that conservatives overwhelmingly donate more than liberals do). So it sounds like the good half of America IS helping out.

Kids raised by Republicans are taught respect for their elders, whereas kids raised by libtard bigots are taught they are more special than anyone else and entitled to everything. This incident is that mentality on full display.

YOU FAIL. LIKE THE FAILURE YOU ARE.

CurtZHP on June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

inthemiddleofabrainhemorrhage on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

steebo77 on June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

“I’ve gotten the nicest letters, emails, Facebook messages.

She’s on Facebook? That makes her a pervert!!

/Hot Gas Anti-Social Basement Dwellers Club

mankai on June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Good for her. I hope she really can retire.

MisterElephant on June 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Creeping up on 300k, with 30 days to go? I have no doubt she’ll retire =)

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Yeah.

Because we all know so many “Republicans” are in New Yawwwwwk.

tetriskid on June 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

What a brilliant deduction. After all, you are on a conservative blog, where people have been expressing outrage and talking about how glad they were to make a donation. Fortunately, you saw past all that and can stand astride the Internet making unsupported assertions in the most compelling way. Well done.

DrMagnolias on June 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Is this inthemiddle character for real? So bizarre.

the new aesthetic on June 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

the kids on that bus still need corporal punishment, mouth washed out with soap, grounding, no cell phone, no video games, and physical labor without pay. also, for the rest of their schooling they can walk to school, or their failed mommies/daddies can transport them.

burserker on June 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

That’s it. I’m adblocking Hot Air.
I can’t take Undertone ads taking over my browser.
Pathetic Townhall.
p0s3r on June 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Same. Absolutely ridiculous.

JSR08 on June 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Guys, how can you do this? As, I want to, too. Right now, I’m using the InPrivate Browsing on IE, to cut down on the ad trails. I’d rather be able to just block the ads, outright.

Thanks.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Creeping up on 300k, with 30 days to go? I have no doubt she’ll retire =)

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 4:08 PM

I wonder how much they’ll raise by the end of the 30 days. I’m thinking 7 figures is easily doable. Hell, 8 figures might be possible at the rate this story’s gone viral.

Doughboy on June 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

I saw this on Fox this morning and this lady was really surprised and thankful.

I hope the kids and parents will deal with this issue. This is just a tiny bit of how you read daily of things like this happening all over he US with people who only think of themselves.

Sad, to say the least, how our nation has gone down so far on the ‘me, I, you don’t count if I want what you have, I don’t give a flit if I hurt your feelings or not’.
L

letget on June 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

While i am happy that the American spirit hasn’t been French-Whipped yet, i do hope that she does take precautions with this money as in this day in age with her face and her name, etc going viral.

BlaxPac on June 21, 2012 at 4:12 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

–Although liberal families’ incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).

– Conservatives also donate more time and give more blood.

– Residents of the states that voted for John Kerry in 2004 gave smaller percentages of their incomes to charity than did residents of states that voted for George Bush.

– Bush carried 24 of the 25 states where charitable giving was above average.

– In the 10 reddest states, in which Bush got more than 60 percent majorities, the average percentage of personal income donated to charity was 3.5. Residents of the bluest states, which gave Bush less than 40 percent, donated just 1.9 percent.

– People who reject the idea that “government has a responsibility to reduce income inequality” give an average of four times more than people who accept that proposition.

mankai on June 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Holy crap, that’s awesome. Goes to show lots of people out there are looking to uplift others.

changer1701 on June 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Although I hoping SCOTUS would make my day today by UPHOLDING THE GREAT ARIZONA IMMIGRATION LAW and TRASH-CANNING OBOZOCARE, this story made my day instead. (Although I am certainly cheering the outstanding SCOTUS slap in the face to the leftist 9th Circus Court, to the SEIU thugs and all to other unions.)

On Monday, I’ll look forward to those SCOTUS decisions and hopefully will celebrate again.

TeaPartyNation on June 21, 2012 at 4:13 PM

steebo77 on June 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

The town is Greece, a suburb od Rochester. The school in the town of Greece is called Athena.
The kids attend Greece Athena.

Jabberwock on June 21, 2012 at 4:14 PM

She just went over $300,000!

Abby Adams on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Doughboy on June 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Good, she deserves it. Hopefully she’ll never have to deal with, or even look at, those savages again.

tommyboy on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

I bet she bullies the stewardess on her vaycay.

MechanicalBill on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Doughboy on June 21, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Nothing would make me happier…

=)

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM
Cocaine is a helluva drug, ain’t it..

blatantblue

Bath salts. She chewing off her own fingers right now while naked in front of the computer.

JAM on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Apparently.

lorien1973 on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

“Identify her doners” — Obama

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

…couldn’t you lead into that… with a longer post…so I could see it coming?….BUT NOOOOOoooooo!…you had to put it right there!-so I could spit up on my monitor! Thanks!

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

What does she do with all this money? I would feel very guilty taking upwards of $300,000 for something like this. I guess that’s just me though. I wouldn’t fault her for taking it all and retiring but I’m sure some would suggesting that she should put some of the money towards an anti-bullying charity.

VinceOfDoom on June 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Obama’s mother was a Republican? Talk about birtherism!

MeatHeadinCA on June 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Can we please stop trying to politicize this story already? Damn, even in threads that literally have nothing to do with politics, you still have people who want to sling mud around by saying “DURR FUTURE DEMOCRATS AM I RIGHT?????” and “HURR, THOSE KIDS WERE RAISED BY REPUBLICANS!!!” can we stop it already?

theoddmanout on June 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

She better receive every last dollar of these donations.

karlant on June 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

$300,330.00 and climbing! That’s a lot of money. By the time the month of fundraising is up, it could be near a million. Is this taxable as income? Just curious.

Urban Infidel on June 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

$300,294 at 4:14. That is so amazing. Kudos everyone!

Bensonofben on June 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

…“A toast, to our friend Karen — the richest woman in town.”

Well done, AP …well done.

The Ugly American on June 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

I was bullied by black kids in the 3rd grade….
This was Maryland 1968 – our bus route around Olney went
and picked up kids from shacks.
These kids smelled and acted like rabid dogs.
I remember the 3rd grade was spent hiding out in the woods
during school. It was so bad the teachers did not care
if we were in school or not…..

Thank god we moved to Texas in 1970.

It was like a breath of fresh air to leave the back woods black kids behind….

redguy on June 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

She better receive every last dollar of these donations.

karlant on June 21, 2012 at 4:17 PM

These indie/kickstarter campaigns have about a 20% failure rate for funding. She’ll see most of it, but all of it is impossible.

lorien1973 on June 21, 2012 at 4:18 PM

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM

Sending you $5.00 for the clean up. Just don’t identify me to Obama.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

theoddmanout on June 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

…th…th…they started it!

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

lorien1973

(would you hit it?)

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

theoddmanout on June 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

…th…th…they started it!

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 4:19 PM

Nah, his/her premise is dead wrong.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I think she should donate some of the money to create a foundation dedicated to returning corporal punishment to the schools.

novaculus on June 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

(would you hit it?)

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The ones with low self esteem are my primary victims targets!

lorien1973 on June 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

So what are you saying? That Rochester, NY isn’t chock full of conservatives? /

Kataklysmic on June 21, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Monroe County, where Greece and Rochester reside, tends to be a bit more conservative than the rest of the state,
I live in Monroe County.
Do not know the politics of Greece. But do know they have had some contentious school budget votes these past few years. Senior citizens took a LOT of heat for voting against increases. Sports took some hits.

Jabberwock on June 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I bet she bullies the stewardess on her vaycay.

[MechanicalBill on June 21, 2012 at 4:15 PM]

If she thinks the kids were bad, TSA has a surprise for her.

Dusty on June 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Nah, his/her premise is dead wrong.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Yep. Posted a link a bit ago. The county this school/city is located in voted for Obama in 2008, like 211,000 to 120,000 for McCain.

lorien1973 on June 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

“Greece?”

steebo77 on June 21, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Happened in Greece/NY, the bullying, I think.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

You guys do know that Reddit is overwhelmingly liberal/libertarian, right?

SnarkVader on June 21, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Sitting here with my coworkers, one of whom is only 21…we’re all in agreement that truly, kids have gotten more rotten in the last 10 years than any other time in history.

At the same time, it’s good to see the elastic effect of both those kids being hung as a result of their own asshattery, and the care and charity of so many people. This kind of thing provides hope to many, many people who live in a world full of bullies and thugs.

MadisonConservative on June 21, 2012 at 4:24 PM

inthemiddle on June 21, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Heads up, scumf**k. It’s your side, the Left, that is responsible for coddling kids to the point that parents cannot use corporal punishment without being arrested…and the kids know that.

This is your fault.

MadisonConservative on June 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Thanks.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Smartypant techies, answer this.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Jeebus what a bunch of Debbie Downers. This is a cool story. Deal.

ConservativeLA on June 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

This is your fault.

MadisonConservative on June 21, 2012 at 4:25 PM

Awwww, you bullied inthemiddle.

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

theoddmanout on June 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

I beg to differ. A troll showed up and immediately used this as an opportunity to impugn every one of us. We simply handed it right back to her.

CurtZHP on June 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

theoddmanout on June 21, 2012 at 4:16 PM

You’re right, the little savages have every quality and attribute of being future Conservatives. Yup, amongst the millions and millions of “African-American” hordes who stampeded … stampeded, I tell you, to the ballot box in order to vote for a Republican. Starting with J.C. Watts, Condoleeza Rice and Colin Powell.

I’m almost ready to recant my statement … but … not yet.

But you … you just stay above the fray … and stay superior to those of us who have the gall and audacity to spew the truth.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I’m using Firefox with Adblocker and some other filters running. (Look in Tools, Add-ons). Since Townhall took over, the number of trackers and script-running ads has jumped. For example, Ghostery is blocking 11 trackers on this page alone.

novaculus on June 21, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Thanks.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Download firefox, then get the firefox addon “adblock plus.”

Not sure if IE has anything like it.

ConservativeLawStudent on June 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Some good news, at least:

Father ‘Ashamed’ Of Son’s Role In Bus Bullying

Published: 6/20 10:50 pm
Updated: 12:16 pm

Greece, N.Y. – The father of one of the kids who taunted a bus monitor in Greece says he was ‘sad’ and ‘ashamed’ when he heard his son’s voice on the YouTube video that shows a small group of middle schoolers harassing a 68-year-old woman.

“He was raised to respect an older person,” the father said as he wiped away tears. “The woman did not deserve that … I’m sorry.”

The man asked to remain anonymous for fear of retribution.

The father says he watched the video alongside the Greece superintendent.

He says he’s not sure what punishment lies ahead at school, at the police department or at home.

Mary in LA on June 21, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I live in Monroe County.

Jabberwock on June 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Yeah, Monroe is definitely not as blue as NYC, but based on lorien’s link, McCain/Palin got about 40% of the vote in 2008.

Kataklysmic on June 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Thanks.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 21, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Firefox with Adblock

Or, if you prefer to use IE, Simple Adblock

Flora Duh on June 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

OhEssYouCowboys on June 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Excellent!

Schadenfreude on June 21, 2012 at 4:30 PM

CurtZHP on June 21, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I would prefer that we all ignore the troll until it gets bored and wanders off, but still, I get what you are saying.

theoddmanout on June 21, 2012 at 4:31 PM