The Olympic Committee just messed with the wrong old ladies

posted at 9:21 am on June 21, 2012 by Jazz Shaw

Normally when you see the word “Olympics” around Hot Gas these days, you expect to see the word “Dressage” following in close order. Not so today. The US Olympic Committee has established a long and well-deserved reputation for jealously guarding their name, symbols and copyright perimeters and aggressively going after anyone they perceive as trying to make a buck off their corporate brand. In fact, the Wall St. Journal ran a lengthy piece during the last summer Olympics which details the various scofflaws they have shut down, including, but not limited to:

• The Ferret Olympics (now called the Ferret Agility Trials)
  • The Nose Olympics (now the Nose Aerobics)
  • The Rat Olympics (Xtreme Rat Challenge)
  • Olympets (National Pet Games)

But now the USOC may have taken on a battle which they may come to regret. They’ve thrown down the legal gauntlet in front of Ravelry. Now, in case you’ve never heard of Ravelry – and if, like many of us, you spend all your time focused on government and politics, you probably haven’t – you may be wondering what it is. It’s an online social network for people interested in … wait for it .. knitting, sewing and other related crafts.

Lest you think this is some backwater story with no place here, Ravelry isn’t some collection of a half dozen old grannies in their parlors. They are one of the top ten largest social networks, boasting more than two million registered members and daily traffic which regularly matches – or sometimes vastly exceeds – that of Hot Air. And while you don’t normally expect a group of knitters to take up pitchforks and torches and go occupy something or throw tea bags in the Potomac, now they’re ticked off.

If you mess with the Olympics trademark, a cloud of legal hurt will descend on you faster than Tyson Gay in the Men’s 100 meters. Case in point: The U.S. Olympic Committee has sent a cease and desist letter to a knitting-based social network for hosting a knitting “olympics.” Now, knitters are in revolt.

2012 was to be the third year that the knitting social network Ravelry—yes, this exists and is surprisingly popular—hosted a “Ravelympics,” a knitting competition for users that includes events like an “afghan marathon,” and “scarf hockey.” Knitters were supposed to compete in their events while watching the actual Games on TV.

But that was before the U.S. Olympics Committee got wind of it and sent Ravelry a cease & desist, for making a mockery of the Games with their needlework.

That article covers some of the basic facts, but gets quite a few more wrong. It seems nobody at Ravelry was making money off the Olympic brand, nor were they “mocking” the games. They were encouraging their members to watch the games and knit at the same time, challenging themselves to exceed their personal best for the most projects finished while the games went on.

They also make another ironic statement toward the end.

The USOC is demanding Ravelry change the name to the “Ravelry Games,” but we say: Why not make knitting an Olympic sport instead? Pair up knitting a baby sweater with target shooting and make it the summer version of the biathlon. Those would be some Nike ads.

Why is that ironic? Because knitting actually was an Olympic event at one time.

Be that as it may, Ravelry is largely – though not entirely – composed of ladies… ladies who habitually carry sharp pointy things. And now they’re angry. So who is conducting the war on women now?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Love the pic!

txmomof6 on June 21, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Can Mitt Romney save the Ravelympics?

Only time will tell.

BKennedy on June 21, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Scorn of a woman only compounds with age. No one and I mean NO ONE carry’s a grudge like an elderly woman.

Skwor on June 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

HA ha!

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Why not to make lying into Olympic sport? We’d have quite a team in the White House.

Archivarix on June 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Back in 1984 and 1988, I actually loved watching the Olympics. Track and field, gymnastics, boxing, etc were shown prominently.

Since then, not so much, they show more of Women’s curling and other crap I don’t want to watch more than the traditional events. Which is why I don’t watch.

wildcat72 on June 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

A picture of a citizen with a gun?

Someone Call NBC….

Electrongod on June 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Archivarix on June 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Obama’s not even very good at that.

Now the guaranteed gold medal for Barry would be if they had an event for “covering up one’s past”. Never have we known so little about a man with so much power.

wildcat72 on June 21, 2012 at 9:28 AM

The Queen armed….now thats deadly!!
(sarc).

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Know what the real problem is here?

Lawyers on retainer . . .

BigAlSouth on June 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Also admit it Jazz, you just wanted an excuse to post “you won’t like these knitters when they’re angry.”

It’s a very cute play on words likely to get you labeled RAAAAACIST.

(For the slow leftists here not yet cognizant enough to be outrageously outraged, having not been labeled and spoonfed to you: T -> G)

BKennedy on June 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Normally when you see the word “Olympics” around Hot Gas these days, you expect to see the word “Dressage” “Romney” following in close order.

Fixed.

itsnotaboutme on June 21, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Wow, I can’t believe I read that. And then commented.

It’s a sickness….

drocity on June 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The Bus Monitor needs what the Queen is packing.

Dingbat63 on June 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM

===============

Ugh….knitting,and drinking tea,I bet will recieve
collateral damage from this!
(sarc)

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM

“That gun looks familiar”.

Sincerely,
Eric

hillsoftx on June 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Carolina21 hardest hit.

AubieJon on June 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM

The Queen armed….now thats deadly!!
(sarc).

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

She’s the new Miss Moneypenny.

rickv404 on June 21, 2012 at 9:31 AM

I still don’t understand how they can do that. Reading from a book a couple thousand years old:

“Apollodorus in his Chronology fixes the date of Plato’s birth in the 88th Olympiad, on the seventh day of the month Thargelion, the same day the Delians say that Apollo himself was born.”

So …

I mean … it’s the Olympiad. How the sneezing-smurf do you patent a swath of History?

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Ravelry is run by a bunch of left wing hippie wannabes: metrosexuals and Wiccans…

dukecitygirl on June 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Reminds me of when the NFL tried to stop churches from showing The Big Game

LtGenRob on June 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM

*I hereby own “blue.”

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

What can I say but: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ygy7UDADXDg

radjah shelduck on June 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

I wonder if there is Naughty Knitters site!
(sarc)

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:34 AM

Of the seven invited to Romney’s VP shindig this weekend only three are acceptable to me.
Those being Jindal, Ryan and Condi. Why do I get the feeling it will be one of the other four:
T-Paw, Jeb, Portman or Thune.

AmeriCuda on June 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

*I hereby own “blue.”

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM

My attorney will have something to say about that!

AubieJon on June 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

Actually, there are 8 and I would include Rubio on my list of acceptable.

AmeriCuda on June 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

My attorney will have something to say about that!

AubieJon on June 21, 2012 at 9:35 AM

lol. Bring it!

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Goes to show there’s many ways to get your needlepoint across…

I never knew about the Olympics committee being so touchy about their branding. Olympic Paints didn’t catch their attention?

JetBoy on June 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM

*wait — I did it wrong. Just a second. I meant:

Blue™

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

“Where’s the beef??!”

Electrongod on June 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

The Queen armed….now thats deadly!!
(sarc).

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

Yeah, but I’ll bet her left turn signal has been blinking for the last five miles :/

JetBoy on June 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Didn’t the US Olympic Committee go after the Special Olympics when it first started up, except that the Special Olympics had Kennedy patronage, and moreover the USOC didn’t look too good beating up on handicapped people? As a result, I believe, the Special Olympics was constituted as a subsidiary of the regular Olympics.

Scriptor on June 21, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Hell hathe no fury like a woman in a freshly knitted gingham gown. Also, they knit their own holsters. Go get ‘em ladies.

Meric1837 on June 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Ravelry might be about knitters, but the founders and the message boards are left-wingers.

These are not little old ladies knitting sweaters for their grandkids – these are the OWS crowd.

jbarkley on June 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

O/T Alot of buzz on Twitter that the SCOTUS will be announcing decisions at 10 a.m.

Flora Duh on June 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM

*wait — I did it wrong. Just a second. I meant:

Blue™

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Intellectual Property law is hard!

AubieJon on June 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Not only packing heat but knits her own gun socks.

These are women not to be trifled with…

ajacksonian on June 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:29 AM

JetBoy on June 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

JetBoy:Too funny,ya I would believe that,haha!:)

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

dukecitygirl on June 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Some of us are normal.

txhsmom on June 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

I just started knitting last year and am trying to move past scarves (although they are a lot of fun to make!). Ravelry is huge among knitters because of the patterns, especially knitters my age who are used to searching online for instructions for things we want to try ourselves.

And c’mon! I don’t look at the word “Ravelympics” and think, “Gee, the Olympic Committee should really sue these people!”

Hey, if poker can be broadcast on ESPN, why can’t knitting?

pookysgirl on June 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Ravelry is full of leftists who don’t believe in gun rights so I don’t think the USOC has anything to worried about.

jbarkley on June 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

I went to a Ravelry thread where they were trying to rename the Ravelympics and most of the comments were censored. LOL!

txhsmom on June 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

I can understand protecting the logo and that kind of thing but don’t the Greeks have prior claim to the word “olympics?”

Seriously, who would think that the USOC was sanctioning an event involving ferrets?

Happy Nomad on June 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

wildcat72 on June 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Then you are missing out. I watched an entire match between the women’s curling teams from Norway and Sweden, and let me tell you, they didn’t skimp in the looks department.

Nothing better than watching a hot blond chick with a cute overbite yelling in Danish while her equally hot teammates skitter down the ice.

Bishop on June 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Flora Duh on June 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Flora Duh:Excellent Intell work,I’ll open more windows for
googly searchy!:)

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Although the Game’s venue is now decided by international committee rather than by the Wenlock Olympian Society, we still hold our own Olympics here in protest every July.

So, do these folks get harassed also? Were they not before the modern committee?

IrishEyes on June 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

jbarkley on June 21, 2012 at 9:45 AM

Leftist knitters?

txhsmom on June 21, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Cursing knitters?

This must be some group of angry grandmas…

JetBoy on June 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM

dukecitygirl on June 21, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Some of us are normal.

txhsmom on June 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yeah. Well. I’ll I’m saying is that you can be a manly man with questionable hygiene and everything, and still notice when Joann’s has a 50% sale on Keepsake prints. For some reason. I’ve heard.

I wouldn’t know.

But I’ve heard.

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Not only do I knit, crochet and do needlepoint, but I have my CCW and am probably a better shot than most of you. And I am not an elderly lady, just a middle aged mom. Most of us here have lives outside of politics, though even that is being corrupted.

megthered on June 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Insert substantive comment here.
Just doing my part.

bettycooper on June 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Will they have a Anthiny Kennedy Death Panel competition in the Olympics at some point?

You know where Bus kids get to compete for the right to unplug Granny?

Think Hunger Games to bond the generations together.

PappyD61 on June 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

JetBoy on June 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

I’m not about to tell her off!

LtGenRob on June 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

pookysgirl on June 21, 2012 at 9:44 AM

So it is a sub-culture unto itself. I would love to see Romney or Obama show up to give a speech at the annual Ravelry convention! After all, it’s pretty clear that a candidate will talk veterans’ benefits and defense when speaking to the VFW or American Legion. They talk racially sensitive issues when addressing the NAACP. But what would be included in a speech to a bunch of knitters?

Happy Nomad on June 21, 2012 at 9:52 AM

My sister in law is pretty accomplished in the field,…has her own business and travels the country giving lectures and demonstrations. It seems to be a pretty dedicated bunch,( I don’t know if she belongs to this group) and she can turn out some really beautiful stuff. Good for them!

a capella on June 21, 2012 at 9:53 AM

While the Olympic Committee will probably win this they have certainly beclowned themselves in olympic proportions.

clippermiami on June 21, 2012 at 9:54 AM

I wonder how the Laff-a-lympics lasted as long as it did.

DaveO on June 21, 2012 at 9:55 AM

My daughter, who posts here also, is a big fan of Ravelry.
She is not a Leftie. She is Not a fan of OWS! She is , however, a loyal member of her local Tea Party.
Also….,she is not old. I’m old.

Pecos on June 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM

The Olympic Committee just messed with the wrong old ladies

Who you calling old? I’m a member of Rav and I’m most definitely not old. Seasoned maybe but not old.

I get that the Olympics want to protect their image and don’t want to see people using their name for tacky purposes but geez, me knitting socks in a friendly competition isn’t tacky and certainly doesn’t denigrate an athlete’s years of training as the USOC letter suggested.

ladies who habitually carry sharp pointy things

Keep that to yourself, will ya? Airport security finally let needles back on planes and I want it to stay that way.

Robin Banks on June 21, 2012 at 9:57 AM

We demand inclusion of synchronized knitting.

Attila (Pillage Idiot) on June 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Ravelry, huh. What an amazing yarn….

apostic on June 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Flora Duh on June 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM

Flora Duh:SCOTUS Live Blog!:)
===============================

SCOTUS Twitter

canopfor on June 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

I still don’t understand how you can trademark a term that was in the public domain for more than two and a half millennia before you picked it up.

JSchuler on June 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

SCOTUSblog on twitter saying first opinion arriving any minute.

txhsmom on June 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I’ve been a member of Ravelry for years. It’s a very well designed site, user friendly, edgy, all that. But yeah, it leans way left. There was some drama last election that caused some mods of a sub group who supported McCain/Palin to get kicked off. It’s the only thing that turns me off a bit from using the site. I was actually surprised HotAir is even close in traffic, there seems a lot more going on there that I’d never keep up with. Maybe there are more solely readers here.

Knitting is not really what most people think, some old lady thing, it’s a skilled craft that used to be done mainly by men, and now there are all kinds of people into it. Vogue puts out a monthly magazine with knitting patterns that you’d see more on the runway than on anyone in real life. The sub groups I participate in are not dominated by old ladies at all, I’m just in my 30s myself and always have a project going, and never an afghan.

Ravelry versus the Olympics should be interesting…

rose-of-sharon on June 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Sorry, forgot the O/T.

txhsmom on June 21, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Make tea not love.

-Hell’s Grannies

mankai on June 21, 2012 at 10:05 AM

O/T SCOTUS opinions: Southern Union v US (6-3), and court reverses 9th circuit in Knox v SEIU. Probably no Obamacare decision today.

txhsmom on June 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM

This must be some group of angry grandmas…

JetBoy on June 21, 2012 at 9:49 AM

These are angry grandmas.

Probably the funniest audio I’ve ever heard.

antipc on June 21, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Are we still allowed to draw circles? No infringement?

EFF THE USOC

John Kettlewell on June 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Skwor on June 21, 2012 at 9:27 AM

Got that right. What the hell is the matter With people?

katy the mean old lady on June 21, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Are we still allowed to draw circles? No infringement?

John Kettlewell on June 21, 2012 at 10:12 AM

It depends. Are they overlapping?

Or Blue™?

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

This just in: the USOC is has broght suit against the manufacturers of the linking rings trick.

apostic on June 21, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Ravelry versus the Olympics should be interesting…

rose-of-sharon on June 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Ravelry member here too. It actually has a very young vibe and its members span the globe. This is NOT your grandma’s knitting – no crocheted toilet paper roll covers, LOL. It is a vibrant community of people involved in the fiber world from raising fiber flocks, to craftsmen involved in all aspects of production, to knitters and other fiber artists.

It is the perfect example of Glenn Reynolds “Army of Davids” in the fiber world. Thanks to Ravelry, it is much easier for independent designers and yarn producers to get their products to the marketplace outside of the usual gatekeepers, and many small independent businesses have sprung up as a result.

One can avoid the politics for the most part. I imagine there will be some forums as the presidential election rolls around, but like any community there are a few big mouths and most people are there to share a passion that unites them, not the politics that may divide them.

The Ravelympics is loads of fun. The idea is to start and finish a project between opening and closing ceremonies – no cheating. Just a fun incentive to knit.

piglet on June 21, 2012 at 10:19 AM

A lot of pointed remarks about needling old ladies. Don’t try to spin them a yarn or pull the wool over their eyes; you’ll only wind up looking sheepish or tied up in knots.

skydaddy on June 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Proud Ravelry member here! Participant of the very first Ravelympics, when I taught myself to knit a pair of socks for an anonymous soldier for this fine knitting organization.

Knitting isn’t just for grannies anymore! *sharpening my pointy sticks* :-)

catwrangler on June 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I think we need a new group at Rav – Hot Air Knitters. And since I don’t know how to start a group, I’ll go all lefty and ask demand someone else to do it.

Robin Banks on June 21, 2012 at 10:32 AM

skydaddy on June 21, 2012 at 10:21 AM

LOL

bettycooper on June 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

JetBoy on June 21, 2012 at 9:38 AM

You tell her that JetBoy. :)

itsspideyman on June 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Former member of Rav who was kicked off because of my political beliefs. As to someone’s claim that no money is being made off of the ravelympics, not true. So called “designers” were creating patterns with reference to Olympics or other forms of the word. These patterns are sold through Rav. They get a cut of the purchase price of said patterns.
As to the indignation over this issue, standard liveral Rav user response. Some of these users take themselves WAY too seriously. They screech over any perceived little insult to the craft of knitting. I am a knitter, I have designed patterns, taught classes, studied with teachers well known in the craft. I think the response to this has been hilarious. Just shows what happens when people wear their identities on their sleeves. Grow up girls and boys, your leaders were in the wrong, they got their hands smacked. Get over it. Sheesh, you are giving us adult knitters a bad name.
Also, someone commented about a Naughty Knitter site, you don’t need it. Rav already has some pretty disgusting forums that cover all kinds of lewd and revolting behaviors.

chrisknits on June 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Another case of too much bureaucratic power on the loose. No Common Sense remains.

kirkill on June 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM

chrisknits on June 21, 2012 at 10:44 AM

Wow, freaky.

kirkill on June 21, 2012 at 10:47 AM

chrisknits is correct. Ravelry sells or links to sites that sell Olympic themed patterns and use the logos of the Olympics. Case in point is the red mittens from the Vancouver games that were wildly popular – Ravelry gets a percentage of the pattern sales. The first 5 patterns that the USOC references are all for sale.

Yes, there are many fine knitters on the site, but the founders are leftists who raised money for a new server and then used the overage to buy carbon credits.

jbarkley on June 21, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Don’t mess with knitters.

joecollins on June 21, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I don’t knit, but I can crochet a mean afghan, and even follow the diagrams. But I always make the thing 3 times as wide and 40 percent longer than the pattern calls for. (Barely wide enough for mini-twin bed becomes “hangs to the ground all the way around the king bed”.)

And never call me a “metrosexual.” You might get a sudden case of lead poisoning. ;)

John Hitchcock on June 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

John Hitchcock on June 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

This is what I’m saying.

Some guys make, for example, quilts. I’ve heard. I wouldn’t know. And they’re amazing — it’s like painting.

I’ve heard.

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 11:35 AM

i noticed a lot of my much younger 20 something friends of both sexes started getting very very much into knitting mid 2000s. all sorts of crafts most associated with mom and grannie have experienced quite the revival- which is a good thing i think. knitting. needlework, FIBER ART (trust me don’t say ‘sewing’ or ‘weaving’ around fiber artistes… just don’t) need to be kept alive.

i’m working on a quilt myself. dear lord, i hope the quilters aren’t now all moonbat leftists.

mittens on June 21, 2012 at 12:00 PM

When you’re treble crocheting and you cable some double-treble posts to make your twists and turns, it comes out looking very nice. But if you want to go for a more rugged look and make a far weightier afghan, hook your treble posts to the post below instead of the top below. It bends the top over, making a very rugged appearance. It also demands much more yarn and makes a far heavier, much warmer afghan. And if you go from cream to light green to hunter green, it only adds to the rugged, manly appearance.

John Hitchcock on June 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

What? A buncha ladies with knitting needles and yarn are making a mockery of the Games–Hey USOC, you do fine with the mockery all on your own.

stukinIL4now on June 21, 2012 at 12:06 PM

“Olympics” is a generic word like “jello” that that despicable “international” org has no claim to. Any of our courts that would uphold claims for that corrupt organization are acting for something outside of American.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 21, 2012 at 12:13 PM

Another reason why trademarks, intellectual property, and copyrights, which are nothing but government-madated monopoly privileges, need to be abolished. It’s a lie you’ve absorbed and fed to believe sine birth.

How Intellectual Property Hampers Capitalism

Dante on June 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Trademarks often use generic terms. It’s not merely the word or phrase that’s protected, but its use in a particular industry that, should others in that industry use it, might be confusing to others. So the US Olympics Committee can argue that the use of the term or variations on it to describe competitive events/games could create an impression that the event is sponsored or endorsed by that organization. (And they do need to be aggressive in defending their marks in order to retain them, no matter how ridiculous it might seem to others!) The trademark does not, however, extend to the use of the term in other industries (e.g., Olympic® paints), although there are some exceptions.

VerbumSap on June 21, 2012 at 1:14 PM

John Hitchcock on June 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I have just fallen in love with you.
[swoons]
♥♥♥♥♥

Mary in LA on June 21, 2012 at 1:15 PM

jbarkley on June 21, 2012 at 9:41 AM

ORLY?

I”ve been a member of Rav since 2007, and I hardly fit into your description of the founders and posters as being comprised exclusively of the “OWS crowd” and “left-wingers”. For what it’s worth, I was the founder and mod of the Neolibconitarians group, and was at one time a mod for the Conservative Knitters group – I left both due to other commitments and interests.

Ravelry has afforded a world-wide forum for interests of all kinds, both conservative and liberal (and Christians, Muslims, Jews, SCUBA divers, hand-dyers, Harry Potter fans, gays/lesbians and even gasp Wiccans!). I have met and befriended some of the most compassionate, creative and selfless women (and men) on Rav. And yes, some of them are liberal, some are conservative and some are like myself – socially ‘liberal’ and fiscally ‘conservative’. And I love them all the more for these differences. To portray Ravelers as consisting of one particular political bent is both incorrect and short-sighted.

The hubris of the USOC’s legal department in declaring that the “Ravelympics” are an affront to the athletes involved is ridiculous, since it defeats the original concept of the Olympic Games itself – the celebration of human achievement, be it the 100-meter dash or a piece of fiber art created by a member of one of the US national teams.

Ygritte on June 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

rose-of-sharon on June 21, 2012 at 10:02 AM

They brought that on themselves, IIRC. There’s a lot more to that story than is generally known.

Ygritte on June 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Oh really, want to tell us about it?

MomintheFlyOverZone on June 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

Try this again

Ygritte on June 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

Explain it to us please.

MomintheFlyOverZone on June 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM

Yes, there is way more to the story and only 2 people know the real truth and Ygritte is not one of them.

jbarkley on June 21, 2012 at 2:37 PM