Boehner: There will be no spiking of the ball if ObamaCare is overturned

posted at 5:51 pm on June 21, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

After we all spent another anxious morning waiting for a possible ruling on ObamaCare from the Supreme Court, only to be put off again until next week, Speaker Boehner sent out a memo to his fellow House Republicans insisting that there are to be no political shenanigans in the event of an ObamaCare-smackdown.

“There will be no spiking of the ball,” he wrote in a memo to the conference.

“Republicans are focused on the economy … We will not celebrate at a time when millions of our fellow Americans remain out of work.” …

He repeated that the House will vote to repeal any part of the law, which he referred to as “ObamaCare,” left standing by the Supreme Court, and that any attempt to enact new reforms will be “step-by-step.”

“Republicans will not repeat the Democrats’ mistakes,” he wrote. “We won’t rush to pass a massive bill the American people don’t support.” …

“No one knows what the Court will decide, and none of us would presume to know,” Boehner wrote.

Alas, it’s true — nobody except the nine Supreme Court justices can really know about ObamaCare’s outcome. As Justice Ginsburg quipped the other day, those who know don’t talk, and those who talk, don’t know. The leader of the House Democrats, however, appeared somewhat more confident than Boehner as she yet again talked about her faith in ObamaCare’s “ironclad” constitutionality this morning:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, who  shepherded the bill into law during her tenure as speaker of the House, had previously denied Democratic discussions of a contingency plan, but earlier this week Democratic Whip Steny Hoyer led reporters to believe that Democrats had in fact discussed the range of opinions that could be issued by the Supreme Court.

“Of course we’ve discussed it,” Hoyer, D-Md., said Tuesday. “But it is our conviction that the Supreme Court is going to uphold the plan.” …

“The only meetings that I have been party to have been those where we have heralded the benefits of the plan, that tens of millions of people have already benefited from it,” Pelosi, D-Calif., said as she ticked off a list of gains written into the law.

I find it difficult to believe that the Democrats are really without contingency plans, but perhaps the White House is going to take the lead on that one. The PR-acrobatics, I’m sure, will be fascinating.

Mitt Romney, as we already know, has promised to repeal ObamaCare on the first day of a Romney presidency if it isn’t struck down, and has already outlined a plan for replacing it.

And then, of course, there’s always the possibility that the Supreme Court will uphold ObamaCare, and President Obama will get reelected in November. …Gulp. This waiting is the worst.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Dancing in the streets, maybe.

And since it won’t be Dems/Libs/Lefties/Proggies, it will be a nice dance.

Of course, the wailing and gnashing and rioting of the DLLPs will be just a block away.

ProfShadow on June 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

Solly Cholly, spiking the ball big time. And I’ll be standing on my deck yelling about it.

Mirimichi on June 21, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I’m going with yellow corn….kettle popped, with coconut-oil and my own six-seasoning blend.

Tim_CA on June 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Boehner: There will be no spiking of the ball if ObamaCare is overturned

…we’ll cry instead.

KOOLAID2 on June 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Party at my house. Y’all are invited. I’ll provide the footballs and the end zone.

beatcanvas on June 21, 2012 at 6:51 PM

The hell you say Beta-Boehner!
I might even hire a dozen new employees.

kregg on June 21, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Oh, I’m going to spike the ball! I’ve already purchased flags for my car windows to flap in the wind while I drive down the road honking my horn with joy. Because by overturning this monstrosity, my father, recently diagnosed with cancer now has a chance to survive.

Unless you have an elderly loved one, you have no idea how much Medicare has been gutted.

Key West Reader on June 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

I will also thank God that one of my prayers was answered:))

MontanaMmmm on June 21, 2012 at 6:41 PM

You and me both:
“Now Thank We All Our God”
by Martin Rinckart, 1586-1649
Translated by Catherine Winkworth, 1829-1878

1. Now thank we all our God
With heart and hands and voices,
Who wondrous things hath done,
In whom His world rejoices;
Who from our mother’s arms
Hath blessed us on our way
With countless gifts of love,
And still is ours today.

2. Oh, may this bounteous God
Through all our life be near us,
With ever joyful hearts
And blessed peace to cheer us;
And keep us in His grace
And guide us when perplexed
And free us from all ills
In this world and the next.

3. All praise and thanks to God
The Father now be given,
The Son, and Him who reigns
With them in highest heaven:
The one eternal God,
Whom earth and heaven adore!
For thus it was, is now,
And shall be evermore.

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

No spiking of the ball but a few loud shouts of “I won” is in order…btw, we don’t spike the ball until after the November elections, this is just a playoff game…

right2bright on June 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Tim_CA on June 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Michelle won’t be liking that.

/As if ANYONE cares what Da Mooch has to say

Key West Reader on June 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Nonsense. Kagan has been briefing the White House all along, as testimony was taken, on all the cases this session. On this I have zero doubt.

slickwillie2001 on June 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Key West Reader on June 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Prayers ascending for your father…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

No spiking the ball? Well… ok, but there SHALL be HUMPBOT!!!

44Magnum on June 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Would you like fries with that ? Yes, Mr. President.

J_Crater on June 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM

How appropriate, Omaha Conservative…

“Nun danken alle Gott”

either orr on June 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM

You have no right to spike the ball, Boner, you feckless fool. You got rolled by the Democrats.

Why don’t you go back to boozing it up on the golf course and let Cantor handle things from now on.

beedubya on June 21, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Whatevs. Bohner has been a better speaker than Pelosi and better than Hastert, and probably better than Newt.

dczombie on June 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM

If it’s overturned, I will dance on the grave of this despotic POS law and salt the earth behind me, thank you very much, Mr. Speaker.

greggriffith on June 21, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Ever so often, even Boehner gets it right.

…and yes, as a private citizen, I reserve the right to spike the ball and do the goofiest end zone dance ever seen. It might even involve pudding.

ElectricPhase on June 21, 2012 at 7:04 PM

Key West Reader on June 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Aren’t there some conservatives who believe that medicare should be gotten rid of altogether?

theoddmanout on June 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM

If Boehner EVER gets “it” right – this is not one of those times.

This is one of the most Made-For-Mockery “Counting Your Chickens Before They Hatch” moments ever CREATED by an IDIOT like him.

What about “Hanging On The Rim“? He didn’t “outlaw” THAT, did he?

williamg on June 21, 2012 at 7:08 PM

Sorry Erika, but I’d be quite surprised if Kagan, Sotomayor or one of the other two libs on the court haven’t slipped word to the Boy King.

TXUS on June 21, 2012 at 7:10 PM

I’ll Spike The Ball or any dang thing I want to spike, Johnny me lad.

I got LOTS of spikes and a nice selection of hammers, sledges and mauls.

LegendHasIt on June 21, 2012 at 7:11 PM

The person who spikes the football is usually the one who ran it into the end zone, Tell me Mr. Speaker what did you have to do with bringing this case to the Supreme Court? You’re not even on the right team! You weren’t even in the game! I’m not even sure you were in the stands

halfbaked on June 21, 2012 at 7:13 PM

speak for yourself john, i’ll be spiking the football and then some. as the smartest man in politics said, “this is a big fn deal”

Republicans should recreate that walk that Pelosi took when they walked up to the capital holding hands, smiling and holding that giant gavel. except they should be carrying a sign that says “IRONCLAD? – SC says you fail Nancy”

exceller on June 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM

A certain poster on here suggested, for a certain bit of schadenfreude, to check out DU during the Wisconsin recall count. As literally physically ill as it makes me to go there, I may have to check it out again if ObamaCare is struck down.

onetrickpony on June 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Hide and watch me, John-boy.

Eren on June 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM

How about spiking that clown gavel over Peloski’s head?

Mr. Arrogant on June 21, 2012 at 7:17 PM

“There will be no spiking of the ball,” he [Crybaby Boehner] wrote in a memo to the conference.

Hey, Weeper of the House: STFU and get bent, you miserable coward. You couldn’t even bring yourself to force one complete reading of even one bill of the many 2,000+ page monstrosities that flew through the House, by hook and by crook and by DemonPass and by every illegitimate method the America-hating dems could think up.

You are total sh!t. THe GOP should spike the Crybaby when ObamaCare is overturned. SPike him head-first out the leadrship door and relegate that weeping, wilting whiner to the backbenches where he belongs. Boehner couldn’t lead anything. He is the worst GOP Speaker ever, at the most important time. Awful.

Spike Boehner!

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 21, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Thank you Ohio Tea Party for allowing us the privilege of having Spiker Boehner for another 2.5 years. Yay!

Mr. Arrogant on June 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM

What a waste of a Speaker’s position Boehner is – can’t they elect someone with some cojones?

Over50 on June 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Over50 on June 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

Michele Bachmann…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM

I’ll get to the point. Firstly, Boehner is a complete coward. Secondly, Rep. Issa is the one who’s done all of the leg work on this investigation. Thirdly, Boehner until now has been silent on the matter. To that, there have been plenty of stories about how his office was obstructing the investigation, wanted to end it, and distanced itself altogether from it, even refusing to directly comment on it. What you see here is Boehner campaigning to be the Speaker again.

madmonkphotog on June 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Michele Bachmann…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2012 at 7:29 PM

Hear, hear!

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Prayers ascending for your father…

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Key West Reader on June 21, 2012 at 7:33 PM

theoddmanout on June 21, 2012 at 7:07 PM

None that I know. The issue here is one of financing the program. It cannot be sustained indefinitely in its current form.

If you cannot see that, you are blind. Please study up on the $500M cut to Medicare THIS fiscal year by Obamacare and you will then realize why Obama-Pelosi care was such a tragic mistake.

Key West Reader on June 21, 2012 at 7:38 PM

exceller on June 21, 2012 at 7:14 PM

When I heard her, I couldn’t help thinking about the Monitor and the Merrimack.

My sign will say: “Supremes Sank Nancy’s Ironclad”.

applebutter on June 21, 2012 at 7:47 PM

madmonkphotog on June 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

Riiiiiiiight. Sorry but Issa, hero that he is, wouldn’t be pressing forward as he is without Boehner’s approval. Boehner, for all his faults, has been a better Speaker than we’ve had in recent memory.

dczombie on June 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Not to worry, the GOP has a ready made replacement for Obamacare if the SC strikes it down…Romneycare!

aposematic on June 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Someone’s channeling their inner Eeyore.

When I read that I had to double check that this wasn’t an Allahpundit post.

kenashimame on June 21, 2012 at 7:50 PM

No spiking?

Does he know my “Plan B” is drunken, nekid backflips in front of the courthouse, wearing a DWS wig?

TheClearRiver on June 21, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Of course not, Mr. Boehner–you’ll be busy writing a Republican version of that monstrosity.

DrMagnolias on June 21, 2012 at 8:05 PM

End Of Days.

dczombie on June 21, 2012 at 8:10 PM

dczombie on June 21, 2012 at 7:00 PM

By better you must mean less despicable.

rickv404 on June 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM

You’re not the boss of me, Boehner!

ExpressoBold on June 21, 2012 at 8:30 PM

By better you must mean less despicable.

rickv404 on June 21, 2012 at 8:24 PM

By better, I mean more adept at advancing conservative primciples and holding the coalition together to hold and hopefully increase the gains made in 2010.

dczombie on June 21, 2012 at 8:36 PM

Fine, but there will be dancing.

Bmore on June 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

madmonkphotog on June 21, 2012 at 7:32 PM

More Lt.Col Bill Kilgore less John “squirt one” Boehner.

R Square on June 21, 2012 at 8:59 PM

I would hope that Boehner won’t allow anyone to spike the ball. If this bill goes down, the Republicans are going to have a lot of work to do and they’d better do it right. They haven’t proven the voters right, with what they’ve done so far and they can thank their lucky stars Harry Reid is in charge of the Senate. If the Democrats had a real smooth politician there, he’d be making these bills look really bad.

They’d better tea party up because, if the voters keep them in power in the House and give them the Senate, they’re going to have a lot of responsibility and they’d better do it right. They only have 2 years and, if they do it wrong, they’ll be sitting at home watching Groundhog day.

bflat879 on June 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Fine, but there will be dancing.

Bmore on June 21, 2012 at 8:44 PM

No, no. It’s “by God…there will be dancing!”

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi,

“The pus that infects the mucous… that cruds up the fungus… that feeds on the pond scum.”

lynncgb on June 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM

Ah c’mon…if they rule in favor of it, you know the left will be doing handsprings all over the internet. Gotta give us that, Speaker.

Bob's Kid on June 21, 2012 at 9:31 PM

I’m not normally cynical, but this whole thread feels like a big, giant JINX to me. Forgive me if I’m not inclined to celebrate with y’all just yet.

UpTheCreek on June 21, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Well Speaker Boehner, it appears that you won’t be happy to see ObamaCare in the dustbin of history, but we all are looking forward to that and we will be celebrating!

The rinos are deathly afraid of the Democrats and that’s why they have to be removed from office at all costs.

RJL on June 21, 2012 at 9:52 PM

Personally I’m planning on wearing my purple power suit and carrying a HUGE gavel down Main Street. Boehner you can kiss my petunia!

neyney on June 21, 2012 at 9:56 PM

why spike the football now?. lets run the romneycare play first.

renalin on June 21, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Tim_CA on June 21, 2012 at 6:50 PM

Damn, that sounds really REALLY good. You wouldn’t mind boxing some of that up and sending it to Florida, would ya?

Moose Drool on June 21, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I vaguely remember, not a spiking of the ball,
but throwing it far up in the stands in a big
game, though don’t press me for details.

I think there is something strong and
confident when true champions put
the exclamation point on it.
Larry Bird, for example — wrong sport for
spiking the ball, was known for launching
an (per Bob Ryan back in the day) ICBM
three.

Back to the first part, most real pros
score and move on. Sometimes,
however, some jubilation and
maybe even dancing in the
streets helps to put all the
turmoil behind.

OT and on another thread here this evening
Levin’s show this evening.
Yep, Reagan was such a dufus /

The incredible of our lives almost
never show up in the headlines.

Maybe, just spike the punch!
Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Here’s hoping the regime
begins the accelerated
collapse it so richly deserves.
… that people start seeing
with their own eyes.

mickytx on June 21, 2012 at 10:39 PM

Can someone be banned for posting the same stupid comment over and over and over and over….?

UltimateBob on June 21, 2012 at 6:28 PM

NoMittObama 2012

You want my links for coming to the conclusion that Mitt and Obama are two of a kind. Both Communist upbringing to both working for the same laws as leaders. Though Mitt is the teacher and Obama the student in that Mitt did more and did it first. Mitt is also an actual leader. Obama very Marxist but can not think on his feet and had better have someone else write his material.

Why Mitt is a far worst option than Obama. In addition Mitt would get some Republicans to vote with the Democrats who would all support Mitt once in office.

Steveangell on June 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Boehner is just completely hopeless. Can’t we get a different House leader? Please?

seanrobins on June 21, 2012 at 11:31 PM

The he11 there won’t John!

MJBrutus on June 22, 2012 at 5:41 AM

Boehner: There will be no spiking of the ball if ObamaCare is overturned

Speak for yourself Guber. How about a HotAir poll on spiking the ball?

Wade on June 22, 2012 at 8:15 AM

No spiking the ball?

If Obamacare gets overturned, I will, as Cherokee princess Elizabeth Warren says, be “getting hammered”…

Haiku Guy on June 22, 2012 at 9:26 AM

Good grief, people. His letter wasn’t to the American people. His letter was to the House gop caucus. Spike the ball all you freaking want. Do your best endzone dance. Honk your horn. Get hammered. Whatever. But it’s a little silly to act like Boehner was telling YOU not to spike the ball. That is, unless you happen to be a republican member of Congress…in which case, yes, he was writing to you.

dczombie on June 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Yo crybaby…It’s my ball and I’ll spike it if I want to…

geo on June 22, 2012 at 11:02 AM

“There will be no spiking of the ball,” he wrote in a memo to the conference.

Squeak for yourself, Weepy.

McGehee on June 22, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Really? Well if….

Spike
Spike
Spike
Spike
Spike
Spike
Spike

Neener neener.

sdbatboy on June 22, 2012 at 11:46 AM

Good grief, people. His letter wasn’t to the American people.
dczombie on June 22, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Good Grief is right. Do you think Guber has executive privilege?

Wade on June 22, 2012 at 11:50 AM

None of us know what is going to happen with the Supreme Court decision, the decision might strike the whole law or leave a mess, so it is not a good idea to celebrate for too long. The media and the Obama campaign has had ample time to figure out what kind of monkey wrench to throw at the Congress and the American people to make voiding the law into a “problem” because everything is always a “problem” for the liberals. They will whine and they will start doing emotional things, so Boehner’s warning, is not to get entrapped in any bait the democrats throw at this “problem.”

There will be some pressure to pass some quick fixes based on liberal whining. We don’t want those either.

I am in favor of tax deductible, cumulative health spending accounts, where your benefits don’t disappear at the end of the calendar year, belong to you, and can be used to pay your future health care bills, combined with catastrophic health insurance. And if you accumulate funds in that account you could even use them for your premiums.

I would be in favor of a law that defined health insurance, so that it can ONLY be used for hospitalization and risk events. And said that Health Plans are not the federal government’s business, especially where they are freely given by your employer.

I think I would do that for Medicare and Medicaid too, no more “Health Plans,” just the part of insurance that is risk, unpredictable, covered by a policy. Right now the government tries to recreate private health plans in government coverage, so it would be best to stop calling everything Health Care, because not all of it is the basics that are required. If we go with a health savings plan that accumulates, most elders will have a large account by the time they are elderly and can pay for the things they want, and think harder about the things they are not sure they want. Right now they have no incentive to refuse things that come…ha ha…”free” from Medicare.

I also would rather see, Rather than some kind of celebrating in D.C., the people who have whined about the health insurance system in their state DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, and stop whining to the federal government, because people like Obama and the senate democrats hear you. Get going on your local solutions, so the feds don’t have any reason to intervene. Initiate something like The Tea Party for Health Savings Accounts” protest in your state, or something innovative. I do know a lot of people on our side, also whine about insurance companies.

Fleuries on June 22, 2012 at 11:54 AM

You’re not the boss of me, Boner.

mojo on June 22, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Spike it Pelosi’s face. Take the 15-yard penalty, and say “Yes, we were serious!”

Droopy on June 22, 2012 at 12:32 PM

The worst indeed. You just had to say that didn’t you? I’m reaching for the Maalox.

RebeccaH on June 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Yeah, just like we can’t say, “Mission Accomplished”.

Let’s not celebrate the turning around of our country from the hands of a Commie.

It is clear that John Boehner is not the man to lead this charge and must be replaced asap.

Typicalwhitewoman on June 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I would advise Speaker Boehner to NOT watch the Sean Hannity show after the court strikes down Obamascare.

Hannity will be SPIKING the ball! And likely any liberal that he convinces to come into his studio.

Freddy on June 22, 2012 at 2:00 PM

OmahaConservative on June 21, 2012 at 6:54 PM

What a beautiful praise, thanks for sharing it. I wonder if it was put to music.

I hope your friend Norm and his wife and famiy are doing better.

bluefox on June 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM

Key West Reader on June 21, 2012 at 6:53 PM

Take heart, God has been working around man since Adam and Eve. Prayers for your father and your family and the Doctors as well.
I prayed for Omaha Conservatives’ friend the other evening as soon as I saw it posted.

It’s always a good thing to post your prayer requests here on HA, as many honor them.

bluefox on June 22, 2012 at 2:23 PM

Mr. Arrogant on June 21, 2012 at 7:21 PM

Hey! We didn’t have any say nor vote on electing him Speaker:-)
Speaking just for myself, I’d vote him out of the Speakership and his co-hort Eric Cantor!!

bluefox on June 22, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Over50 on June 21, 2012 at 7:25 PM

My choice would be Jim Jordan of Ohio. Jim Jordan is very conservative and went against Boehner on the Cut, Cap and Balance vote. So there were some hard feelings between those two since then. Some think that is why Jordan got caught in the redistricting.

House Republican Study Committee
Rep. Jim Jordan, Chairman

bluefox on June 22, 2012 at 2:37 PM

I don’t believe Boehner is capable of ball-spiking. Maybe a sniffle or two. Get him some Kleenex. Big baby.

curved space on June 22, 2012 at 3:19 PM

No ball-spiking, but lots and lots of sour grapes and even more taunting. Hopefully, the Dems will start a fight and get ejected.

flataffect on June 22, 2012 at 3:30 PM

There will be a new Speaker after Teh One is out too you big Cry Baby!

JohnnyMojo on June 22, 2012 at 4:48 PM

He certainly can do that. Mr. Obama has shown him the way with his executive-dream-act.

unclesmrgol on June 22, 2012 at 6:27 PM