Video: Rubio chews out Univision over cheap-shot attack

posted at 1:46 pm on June 20, 2012 by Ed Morrissey

At least I presume Senator Marco Rubio chewed out Univision interviewer Jorge Ramos as presented in the network’s English-language transcript.  I took French in high school, as did most who grew up in the heavily Francophone area of, er … Los Angeles.  Mediaite has the clip and a little of the background of the dispute between Univision and Rubio, some of which gets aired in the exchange between Rubio and Ramos, but a key part doesn’t get mentioned at all:

When Ramos tried to say the network went to the senator’s office, he declared that a lie and argued that the network “stationed a team of cameras in front of my mother’s house trying to capture the cameras.” Over Ramos attempt to explain the story, Sen. Rubio argued that the story was “not about me, it was the personal story of two private citizens who have nothing to do with politics.”

“I should have been asked about those links,” he continued, “I would have been pleased to tell you that I had nothing to do with it, I was 16 years old; it had a very negative impact on my family; it was a very sad moment.” Instead of doing that, Sen. Rubio accused the network of “persecut[ing] first my sister, then my family directly,” adding that Univisión never called him, that “it was me who called Univisión… because I thought it was a joke.” The “persecuting” quote and the point about him being the one to call the network and not vice versa, as well as a comment about him being taken completely out of context on Twitter thanks to the network, didn’t make it to air today, but appear on the official transcript of the interview.

Sen. Rubio does address his links to his brother-in-law: “I was 16, I bathed the dogs in his back yard, he probably gave me presents,” but concluded, “my family has nothing to do with politics.”

The attack on Rubio’s family was only part of the dispute.  The Miami Herald reported last year that Univision attempted to extort an interview with Rubio by threatening to go public with the story of his brother-in-law’s criminal record in the harshest manner possible.  Republican presidential contenders threatened to boycott a Univision debate in solidarity with Rubio afterward, and this appears to be the first time that Rubio has engaged Univision since that time.

Needless to say, you don’t need to know Spanish to get the gist of Rubio’s opinion of Univision.  Ramos bit off a little more than he could chew here. Rubio doesn’t Hulk out, nor does he “shout down” Ramos as the video title claims, but nonetheless, you’re going to like him when he gets angry.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’ve been strongly against illegal immigration since growing up and seeing some of the nonsense they’re involved with firsthand.

However, we aren’t going to deport all of them. Not gonna happen. We can pursue policies like making them illegal to hire, doing a better job of barring them from benefits, such and so on, but we aren’t deporting ‘em all.

I’m not a huge fan of amnesty but we’re going to have to do something. (Big fan of border security, though – it’s a necessary part of our national defense and a no-brainer in general.)

Rubio is awesome and I can’t wait to see him doing great things in the future – the sky’s the limit for the man. Don’t want to see him stuck as VP right now, though.

Aquarian on June 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Wait, why am I, a United States citizen, having to listen to a United States Senator give an interview in Spanish?

ButterflyDragon on June 20, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Because the television channel is in Spanish, perhaps? Not like he’s on CNN or any other regular American channel.

If a senator who was versed in French gave an interview in French to a French channel I wouldn’t think twice about it. Don’t see what the big deal is, unless you’re of the opinion that as an American he should ONLY speak English and/or ONLY do interviews in English.

Aquarian on June 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Video in Spanish? We now have more Asian immigrants, where are the all the Asian immigrants that can’t speak English.

Oil Can on June 20, 2012 at 1:54 PM

We don’t have more Asian immigrants than those who speak Spanish. But I can assure you that there are plenty who speak no English or English so broken that you’d need subtitles.

Maybe there aren’t many around you, so you never notice it, but I work for a company that has to employ several bilinguals, and Spanish is only one of many.

This, like immigration, is not a Hispanic issue. The more we allow them to frame it that way, the more we allow them to paint proponents of the law as racist.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Aquarian on June 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM

Is there a French channel currently in the US, or is it just Spanish speaking only channels because we have enabled it and some believe the SW and Texas still belong to Mexico, or maybe some laziness or the fact that Mexico is dumping their uneducated welfare class on us?

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Sorry, conservatives are not down with amnesty. We want illegals rounded up and deported, not here sucking up taxpayers money and taking what few jobs are left.

Rebar on June 20, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Speaking as a Conservative, I find your statement only half correct. Yes, illegals should be deported, but sucking up taxpayers money not exactly true. Most illegals are frightened to death of any type of authority figure or government official; so, the likely hood of these people gaming the system is very low. The real culprits are their children who have been born U.S. citizens and have had ample time to learn the system. And they only add to the millions that exploit any type of government assistance or subsidy. Any suggestions on how we deal with dirty: doctors, lawyers, government workers, social workers, housing authority and the list goes on.

DDay on June 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Aquarian on June 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Maybe you’re right, but what bothers me is that we always seem to talk about that first rather than making sure we stop the flow of illegal immigration into this country first.

My problem is that the last time we gave amnesty to illegals, illegal immigration went up exponentially. We can talk all day long about punishing employers because they provide incentives for illegal immigration, but amnesty is just the government’s way of doing the same thing on a much larger and more permanent scale.

Not saying I’ll never consider it.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

We don’t have more Asian immigrants than those who speak Spanish.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Yes, you do.

More legal ones too

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

We don’t have more Asian immigrants than those who speak Spanish.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Yes, you do.

More legal ones too

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Heard that this morning, they are better educated than US workers and most vote republican.

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I work for a company that measures TV audiences. I haven’t seen first hand evidence of French only channels in the US, but I’d be very surprised if there weren’t some further north. I have, however, seen every single type of Asian channel and then some for languages I hadn’t previously heard of (did you know Tagalog is what Filipino people speak?).

If anything, the lack of other languages channels in Texas only indicates that we’re less diverse, not that we’ve bowed down to Mexico.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

What the leftists fear of educated Hispanics and blacks…thus, they keep them in modern day subjugated uneducated unenlightened plantations, for votes. The two groups should wake up and pitchfork the looters.

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

DDay on June 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

In other news, the Pope is a muslim

burrata on June 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM

I don’t want Rubio to be Romney’s Vice President because we’d lose him as Senator. We need him there. Rubio can be Romney’s successor.

hadsil on June 20, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Yes, you do.

More legal ones too

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

That’s rate of growth, not total population. Hispanics will cease to even be a minority soon. It’ll take awhile before Asians can catch up.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Yeah, Eshier, I know that Tagalog is spoken by Filipino people, but thanks for that titillating fact. Let’s be honest, if you have ever watched Univision or any other Spanish speaking channel, you will know they toe the democrat/LaRaza line, usually bending the info to blast the truth. Labels and signs on almost all products are in English and Spanish, so yeah, I am doubtful that there are any French only stations.
And, I don’t give a fig how diverse Texas is, because I don’t put people in categories, as long as they are legal, they are all welcome.

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Yes, you do.

More legal ones too

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

That and they don’t pop out a kid a year like a skeet shooter. The illegals that live in my parent’s neighborgood look like the partridge family. One a year and yes, they are on welfare with an Escalade in the driveway.

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

So, I’ve been thinking about this illegal immigrant decree since Friday, and the more I think about it the more questions I have.

So, while we’re not deporting the “kids” 16 to 30 (!!!! are they still on their parents’ health care program?), chances are pretty good that the parents who shackled them and drug them into the country when they were children are still here. Do we deport the evil parents?

Each one of these kids has already stolen 10′s of thousand’s of dollars from American children (@ about $11,000 a year since kindergarden). For each of these invaders, an American child must go without.

Have any of you ever met an illegal alien head of his or her class? So, OK. The illegal who has a 4.0 and has never burned an American flag or laid claim to Texas and doesn’t consider an American flag an “insult” on Sinko Da Meya, better known as, lets all get polluted day—then OK. Let that kid stay. We don’t get those in my state. We get the ones no one wants, including Mexico.

What’s with the no deportation because of “misdemeanors”? The guy who killed a nun in Virginia only had misdemeanors. Drunk driving is a misdemeanor as are a whole slew of crimes Americans would be locked up for but for which illegals are given a pass (like using a phony SS number…you and I would be in jail for that).

If someone serves in the military, OK. BUT, no illegal can join the military without lying and breaking all sorts of federal statutes.

What’s the unemployment rate now we added 800,000 to it?

Let’s hear from the good patriotic illegals…if you can find any.

Portia46 on June 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM

Only if you let them paint it “racist”. Hispanic is not a race.

Nutstuyu on June 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

No reason for the snark. I was being friendly.

I don’t give a sh!t if they’re dems in this context. What does that have to do with whether or not other languages have their own channels?

And yes, Texas has a sh!t ton of Spanish signs. We also have a sh!t ton of Spanish speakers. Go figure. That was my point about diversity, which was not at all to rail on my beautiful state but to point out the very, very obvious. Other areas with different demographics have different bilingual signs, and many national products these days are at least trilingual with their information.

Stations have to make money, so areas with few Spanish speakers won’t have Spanish stations. Doesn’t mean those areas will only have English stations as I know for a fact that many have multiple stations in a variety of other languages. This is something documented ad nauseum in scores of homes that my company tracks.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

DDay on June 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I live in a sanctuary state. I have NO idea which illegals you are talking about, but the ones who have moved to our area are not at all shy about taking over neighborhoods, stores and the schools.

Portia46 on June 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Only if you let them paint it “racist”. Hispanic is not a race.

Nutstuyu on June 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Never said it was. I only said they’d paint us as racist, which becomes easier when we allow them to make the issue about certain immigrants and not illegal immigration as a whole.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Hey, it’s a free country and a free market. We “enable” everything. If someone can make a profit with a channel that only broadcasts in Klingon, more power to them.

Pythagoras on June 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

He opposes Obama’s Dream Act and he says so.

El_Terrible on June 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Yeah, but just Obama’s. Rubio is not ideal on illegal immigration.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

No reason for the snark. I was being friendly.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

No you weren’t, you were being condescending. My point with the Dems was that if you only speak Spanish, you haven’t bothered to learn the language of the country you have illegally entered, and all you listen to is Univision, you’re listening to the MSNBC of the Spanish only market. My point is that other immigrants are forced to learn the language while the Spanish speakers are catered to.
As far as the signs, most road signs are not bilingual, so it is imperative that they learn the language. And most products, unless they are targeted to a specific group, are only English/Spanish. I live in the southwest, but I do travel around and the only other language I see on signs other than English is Spanish.
And, again, I’m “diverse” in my own body, but I don’t go around being concerned that locations are “diverse” enough. I leave that to the democrats.

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Shouts down? What hyperbole!Trying to manufacture some drama here maybe? Give us all a break.Rubio was completely composed and certainly no more agitated than the jerk reporter.

redware on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

In other news, the Pope is a muslim

burrata on June 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM

By your rationale, then yes and right is left.

DDay on June 20, 2012 at 3:06 PM

Portia46 on June 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I would think for a group to conquer this much territory, then they surely didn’t just cross the Border yesterday. But, my point is, “blaming the people will not get us anywhere, we need to take a serious look at the system that allows it to exist”.

DDay on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

DDay on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

So who runs the system ?
Who takes advantage of the system ?
There is nothing wrong with blaming and punishing criminals.

burrata on June 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Atlanta has OTA Korean TV, a digital channel with four or five digital subchannels, Ch 47.1 if I remember correctly.

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2012 at 4:10 PM

How do I unblock these video embeds so I can view them? I used to be able to view them but my firefox and adblock + now are blocking them. I can’t figure out how to turn it off, even with adblock disabled on the page. This only started to happen recently.

karenhasfreedom on June 20, 2012 at 4:12 PM

Aquarian on June 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I think when he’s in the US Senate building giving an interview about US Senate business, then it should be in the language most people associate with being “American”. If he wants to hop down to his office in Florida and give a speech in Spanish, go for it.

ButterflyDragon on June 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

So who runs the system ?
Who takes advantage of the system ?
There is nothing wrong with blaming and punishing criminals.

burrata on June 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I would hope that your questions are rhetorical. As for punishing criminals I have no problem with this.

DDay on June 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

As for punishing criminals I have no problem with this.

DDay on June 20, 2012 at 4:21 PM

Good, let’s start from the top.
Let’s arrest and punish those in the law enforcement agencies who refuse to enforce our laws.
And the one who who orders them to do so

burrata on June 20, 2012 at 4:29 PM

No you weren’t, you were being condescending.

No, I truly wasn’t and certainly have no reason to lie about it now. I’ve never had a beef with you and have only tried to stop ones in the past when I thought they were based on something that had nothing to do with me. Not sure why you’d think I’d jump on you this time just for the hell of it. I’ve always assumed we are on friendly terms. But ultimately, I do not have control over how my words are perceived even though I wish I did.

That’s only because there are so many of them. If Koreans (or any other group speaking the same language) are ever in danger of losing minority status in this country, you can bet anything that you would have seen the same with them in the decades prior.

I used Koreans specifically instead of Asians generally for the obvious reason that Asians do not share a common language. I’m sure you already know this just as I’m sure you already know that even some from the same country do not speak the same language or use the same alphabet, but surely you can see how this is a significant hindrance to them being catered to the way Spanish speakers are, which is the only reason I brought all of that up.

We certainly don’t disagree here. As far as I’m concerned, voting cards and citizenship tests should likewise be in English only. I even wish English were our official national language.

I can’t deny your experiences, but they don’t prove me wrong or negate my own. I live in Texas, so I’d even be willing to agree with you that the vast majority of signs printed in another language are in Spanish. But I cannot agree that none are printed in other languages or that no other languages have their own stations.

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I don’t know why you keep bringing this up, as it’s not something I’m arguing. I likewise do not care for diversity for diversity’s sake and have argued repeatedly against affirmative action for that very reason. We are worth so much more than the color of our skin.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 4:34 PM

We agree on many points here, but again, we have been henpecked, guilted, called racist enough by groups like Maldef, LaRaza, and Lulac to put most documents in English/Spanish. In turn, why learn the language when you have a Spanish language channel and all these bilingual signs? I won’t get into the argument that if you don’t know English, you will never succeed or better your situation that you left in your old country, but it is a proble in the illegal alien community….they set up a community not unlike the one they left, lowering wages and property values, and expecting us to change for them.
Again, you brought up diversity. That word is like nails on a chalkboard. We are all Americans when you are legal. If you are illegal, you have no right to be here.
Your tone was a bit condescending, or maybe it’s just been a long day, either way, if you didn’t mean it that way, I’m sorry for pointing it out.

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Ed, your set up to this leaves quite a bit to be desired

beedubya on June 20, 2012 at 5:20 PM

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:03 PM

Haven’t seen a single French channel on cable or satellite, at least not in Cali……probably the states that border canada get some of their french quebecois channels…possibly NY state too..

jimver on June 20, 2012 at 5:21 PM

Seems like you are making that argument, and it’s one I agree with anyway. They left their home country for a reason but often end up turning this one into a little version of home and repeating the mistake.

Again, you brought up diversity.

Not for the sake of discussing diversity, just to explain why Texas doesn’t have channels in languages other than Spanish and English. No other word explains that in so few words.

Maybe I should have said Texas isn’t very multilingual? Would that have helped? My point is that we have a market for Spanish speakers, and it makes business sense to broadcast in Spanish. The same cannot be said for other languages here.

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Maybe my friendly tone needs work. The Tagalog line was specifically meant to be taken that way, as I seriously had no idea it was even a word before working where I do now. That said I had hoped you knew me better than that. I never intend to be condescending to someone who hasn’t picked a fight with me. I thought that came through in my posts and am sorry it did not in this case.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Portia46 on June 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Good post. I’ll add a few.

What do you think this amnesty will look like after it’s been revised through bipartisan negotiations? Shouldn’t we assume that any firm end dates, age limits etc.. will be extended by the pro amnesty republican/democratic coalition? What about the next wave of children illegally brought here? Why are they less entitled to an amnesty?

Another big one – how the heck does this amnesty get properly implemented without $$$$ of overhead and tons of corruption. Since the principles are undocumented to begin with then reviewing their eligibility is going to be interesting. A lot of bribe money will be floating around. How are we policing the process?

So many questions with no answers because the point isn’t to implement good policy.

BoxHead1 on June 20, 2012 at 5:25 PM

Just checking back to see how it all turned out. Here a little reminder as to why my comments were in fact in line with and on topic. Ed’s tag line to the post.

You’ll like him when he’s angry.

So there’s that.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 5:51 PM

You’ll like him when he’s angry.

I made it halfway through the vid when auto-reload struck, so I guess I only like him half as much.

Lightswitch on June 20, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Well I’m angry at his vote in favor of his “sugar daddys”. Rubio says we’ll stop subsidizing these super rich robber barons when other countrys stop subsidizing their super rich robber barons. Gimme a break…..

jb34461 on June 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

jb34461 on June 20, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Hope you never find out about a little company named ADM.
(Archer Daniels Midland)

FlaMurph on June 20, 2012 at 6:18 PM

I like this hombre.

FerdtheMoonCat on June 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM

I envy people who are multi-lingual. Three years of high school Spanish and the US Army sends me to…Germany. Brilliant. All I remember are a couple songs about the first five months of the year and a train car full of sugar and cigars.
Anyway, I watched the video to see the “shout-down” and was disappointed. It was clearly two guys not in agreement about something, but no shouting. What a gyp.

swinia sutki on June 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM