Video: Making the bus monitor cry

posted at 6:41 pm on June 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

Rarely will I post something for you that I haven’t watched myself, but I’ll cop straight up to not having watched this one. I can’t take it; the descriptions are bad enough. The cruelty’s so gratuitous and the target so sympathetic that it’s a bit like reading a story about someone torturing a small animal. A taste from the Blaze:

Among the comment that hurt the most, Klein told WHAM-TV that one child’s statement that she is so ugly that her “kids should kill themselves” was particularly hurtful. Her son committed suicide 10 years ago.

She’s a widow, hearing-impaired, and a grandmother of eight. But all’s not lost: Thanks to Reddit and the viral outrage this clip has caused, there may yet be a happy-ish ending.

Now, as awful as this was, there was a silver lining in not only the universal condemnation of the actions of these kids, but also in a call for support for this poor woman.

Her name is Karen, and she has been a widow for 17 years, has lived in the same town she grew up in and is about to have her 50th high school reunion in the same school district, and deserves so much better than the actions shown by those in this video. Let’s figure out ways to show her that there are still good people out there…

A redditor has established an indiegogo account to collect donations. I can offer no assurances that these funds will reach her, but will make sure to update this thread once verification is obtained. In the meantime, if you would still like to donate, here is the link:

KAREN FUNDRAISER UPDATE $21,300 as of 2:10pm PST!

Follow that link in the blockquote. They just cracked $30,000 as I’m writing this. Klein apparently makes a little more than $15,000 a year as a bus monitor.

HuffPo seems to have the definitive round-up on this so go there to see how it went from random YouTube video to Internet cause celebre and national news story within 24 hours. As New York magazine says, she’s bound to turn up on the morning shows before the week is out so you might as well get up to speed now. As for the kids, take comfort in this: They can’t all be budding sociopaths. Some of them must be garden-variety brats who couldn’t resist the temptation to join in on rhetorically stomping a helpless victim. They’ll get older and they’ll mature, and then they’ll see this video again and what you’re about to feel will hit them too. Imagine that guilt. Unspeakable.

Lots of profanity here, from what I understand, so please observe your content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

“She’s a widow, hearing-impaired, and a grandmother of eight.”

All in all not the best choice for a bus monitor?

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I watched the whole thing. My blood pressure won’t be coming down for a while. The one kid saying, over and over, “hey, Karen, you fat a$$, youve got a fat a$$”.

Sounds like some of the posters here on the Megan McCain threads.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM

All in all not the best choice for a bus monitor?

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Or the perfect choice, depending on how you look at it.

stvnscott on June 21, 2012 at 7:36 AM

She’s gonna be on Fox & Friends this morning

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 7:50 AM

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 7:25 AM

No, I’m afraid the larger point was most definitely lost on you. If it wasn’t, we wouldn’t be having this exchange because you would have realized that an apology wasn’t the point. Everyone would agree an apology should be given, that’s obvious. The point was the guilt these kids will feel when they grow up.

And no, you don’t have a point. You glossed over the point of my post and extrapolated a false conclusion and “opinion” for yourself. So what you actually have is a fallacy.

QED indeed. Find someone else to straw-man.

FadeToBolivia on June 21, 2012 at 7:52 AM

1) Children are our future, huh?! God help us!
2) This kid obviously thought this was funny, making this woman cry and then putting it on ‘YouTube’. If I was the parent, I would have spanked his butt, made him apologize – all on camera, and then would have posted it on ‘YouTube’ for everyone to see!

easyt65 on June 21, 2012 at 7:59 AM

What’s a bus monitor??? We didn’t have those when I was a kid.

Lothar on June 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Or the perfect choice, depending on how you look at it.
stvnscott on June 21, 2012 at 7:36 AM

In the best of all possible worlds, I agree. In the best of all possible worlds one would find a blind school monitor an even better example for the kids.

Unfortunately, no such utopia exists.

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM

Unfortunately, no such utopia exists.

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM

My point is simply that Karen mentioned in an interview that she could not hear all of their taunts. Her hearing impairment seems to have worked in her favor in this one instance–or it did until she watched the video.

When I spend any amount of time with kids of that age, I sometimes wish I was hearing impaired too. ;)

Looks like donations to Karen are up over $120K now. Good for her!

stvnscott on June 21, 2012 at 8:36 AM

Sounds like some of the posters here on the Megan McCain threads.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Yes, but in that case, it’s just calling a spade a spade.

Robert Jensen on June 21, 2012 at 8:37 AM

DrMagnolias on June 21, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Thanks you. And I don’t mean to argue that everything that Dobson has done has been detrimental. To be sure, he has done a lot of damage IMHO (using the excuse “I’m not a theologian”) and especially in the area of self-esteem.

confidence in one’s own worth

This concept is built on the notion of intrinsic value. The Bible knows nothing of intrinsic value. Now, among ourselves, we can never exalt one life above another without cause, but that is because we are all equally condemned. We are conceived in iniquity. We are all under the sentence of death (the only escape being resurrection secured by the conqueror of the grave).

Dobson never starts there. He starts with the idea “you cannot love someone else until you learn to love yourself.” The scripture assumes self-love and teaches such (“no man ever yet hated his own flesh”). You are to love others as you love yourself, because it is a given you love yourself. If one hates himself because of his weakness and sin, that’s a good thing.

Many things we attribute to low self-esteem are actually symptoms of extreme self-esteem and an obsession with self… but I digress. ;)

mankai on June 21, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I watched this lady on Fox and Friends. I am not sure she was aware of this fund or perhaps how big the fund is. She practically cried when Steve Doocy told her. She is a very sweet and humble woman.

I wonder if the parents of these bully boys will even discipline their kids? For these kids to be so mean and without a conscience, I have to wonder about their parents in general.

I hope that fund will really remit the proceeds to this lady and it isn’t a fraud thing to enrich someone else.

karenhasfreedom on June 21, 2012 at 8:53 AM

This story makes me sick. I made my kids watch it… told them that if the ever behaved that way they would be scrubbing that person’s toilet, cutting their grass, and basically serving that person every day for two years. What an absolute disgrace. I hope these parents are very proud…

CantCureStupid on June 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM

When Jesus said, “What’s your name?” The demons said, “Legion…for we are many.”

Ann Coulter was right. Madness runs best in packs–just like this pack of middle school wolves.

Grace_is_sufficient on June 21, 2012 at 9:00 AM

All in all not the best choice for a bus monitor?

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM

I’ve seen too many videos of out of control bus monitors & bus drivers, sure I’d want someone who could beat some sense in out of control kids but their hands are almost certainly tied from any deserved action. I can only imagine that the role of a bus monitor is to provide an adult’s point of view of what happens on the bus to those who can make more pointed decisions and discipline, from what I’ve seen I would think Karen is the choice for that.

Ukiah on June 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I saw her on Fox, sweet old lady. But come on. “Criminal charges”, Fox? FOR WHAT??!! Being a spoiled rotten nasty little creep of a kid is NOT against the law.

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Unfortunately, no such utopia exists.

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 8:06 AM

It did though, about fifty years ago.

This is what it looks like when conservatives lose the culture war.

David Blue on June 21, 2012 at 9:02 AM

These kids are pieces of **** and need to have their ***** whipped.

These are the animals our Progressive led schools and lazy *** parents have created.

Despicable garbage.

PappyD61 on June 21, 2012 at 9:10 AM

First off, his SOUTHERN school system wouldn’t put up with it, and second the boy is too scared of his dad and me to do something like that.

melle1228 on June 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM

I was part of that Southern school system. I was paddled in one of those schools for merely sitting in a window sill. Suspension is the best route for punishing students, as these New York state students guilty of harassment of this woman should be suspended. I was heckled a number of times myself riding in those moving sardine cans. Don’t miss public school in the least.

rickv404 on June 21, 2012 at 9:13 AM

And the school district that allows this crap…..

….ought to have their butts whooped too, for putting up with this trash.

but hey, we’re a society that tears infants apart in the womb while they scream for their unborn lives.

Darwin would be proud.

PappyD61 on June 21, 2012 at 9:20 AM

“She’s a widow, hearing-impaired, and a grandmother of eight.”

All in all not the best choice for a bus monitor?

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Perhaps you should apply for the position to increase the level of competition for this $15,000 per year job.

ruben21 on June 21, 2012 at 9:21 AM

What’s a bus monitor??? We didn’t have those when I was a kid.

Lothar on June 21, 2012 at 8:05 AM

In the district I drive buses for, we have attendants for ‘special needs’ buses. Kids with physical & mental handicaps.
Not sure about this situation, though.

itsnotaboutme on June 21, 2012 at 9:37 AM

Suspend the chldren…and their parents from work.

There has to be consequences for behavior. Parents are responsible for their children’s behavior. I helped raise 3 step-sons, a daughter, and a nephew. They are all doing well, thank God. Middle School is a tough age and they have to know their bonderies.

kingsjester on June 21, 2012 at 9:39 AM

So, expel the monsters. Let their parents find a private school who will take their little brats and let the parents pay for it. And please don’t tell me that they “need” an education to become productive adults. Obviously, education has failed miserably for this sub-set of humans and if they’re evil at 13, they’ll be worse at 18. Without a miraculous conversion, these kids are all set to occupy something.

Portia46 on June 21, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I don’t have the stomach to watch that vid but, It is apparent that she is unqualified to be in that job.
They need to have a jack booted thug with a night stick and tazer instead of an old sweet woman.

esnap on June 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Heard the audio on Beck’s show this morning. That’s enough for me. As Beck points out, most of the taunters are girls.

labrat on June 21, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM

See http://ypdcrime.com/penal.law/article240.htm Read sections 240.25 through 240.31

Portia46 on June 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

CantCureStupid on June 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM

I’m with ya 100%. Although I have a feeling that if it happened on my kids’ bus I’d be getting a call about my kids “starting a fight.”

Suggestion – every kid on the bus has to do community service. As a group (preferably a chain gang, but I guess we can’t do that to kids.) In the hot summer sun. The kids will know who participated in the bullying and who didn’t, and the innocent ones will make sure the truly guilty get what’s coming to them. Peer pressure works both ways.

skydaddy on June 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

In NY every bus has an attendent. Every class room of 15 students has an assistant. Its pretty rediculous. My kids don’t ride the bus because this is what buses breed. Its lord of the flies the entire way home. My son wants to ride but I say, NO. As an educated stay at home mom (s*ck it Wurtzle) I am available for taxi-ing children wherever they need to go.

magicbeans on June 21, 2012 at 9:51 AM

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Portia46 on June 21, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Uhm, nice try, but any viewer of Judge Judy for even 5 minutes knows that not one work of that pertains to ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18. There are specific juvenile statutes. The law recognizes MATURE versus IMMATURE defendants.

Now point out the statute the parents can face criminal charges for raising rude brats.

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

The root of the problem is that she is a poor old lady who was plunked in this job because it is a) required by the state, and b) becuase she could get it despite her limitations.

She is a warm body required by the state, and in this case a sacrificial lamb to the hyenas who are middle school brats that experience no external moral guidance [in fact negative moral guidance] in their pop-culture MTV lives.

contrarian on June 21, 2012 at 10:01 AM

LIVE BLOG OF SCOTUS DECISION……

PappyD61 on June 21, 2012 at 10:07 AM

You know, when I was in school, we never even had bus monitors! We never had all of these school aids that are in the classroom.
All you had was one teacher and they controlled everything and the classes were under control. Nothing like this was ever going on!

Nobody wants to talk about that. We just keep going on proposing the same stupid things… more monitors, more surveillance, more self esteem programs and more money! And zero tolerance? What a joke!

This is why they want death panels and to be able to pull the plug on the old. So they aren’t around to tell people that things used to be different and better!

Right…. don’t smack little Joey’s rear end for being defiant. He needs to be understood. He needs medication. He needs self esteem! Tell you what… the kids doing this have a lot of self esteem! They need to be brought down to reality! A paddle on the rear end has a great way of doing that! Yeah.. I know.. they’re little stars in their own universes! They make their own youtube channels! What a bunch of horse manure!
The same people who appose spanking would think it nothing to throw cuffs on some little kid and drag him to the police station for sexual harassment because he hugged a female classmate.

Bring back corporal punishment, return authority to the teachers, rid our schools of zero tolerance and self esteem classes and begin teaching real subjects! That would be a good first step to taking back our schools! Just wait until these little monsters become old enough to vote, run for offices and get government jobs! God help us!

JellyToast on June 21, 2012 at 10:08 AM

The old adage “Children should be flogged and not heard” proved true, once again.

locomotivebreath1901 on June 21, 2012 at 10:13 AM

This kind of meanness goes on all the time with juveniles. It happens. Usually assigned to white girls. But we know it trancesnds skin color. It could have escalated, fortunately it did not. Lord of the Flies comes to mind. Girls can produce those zingers early huh? Boys get violent. Happens throughout history. But here thanks to technology they can now be held accountable within days. Hah!

jake49 on June 21, 2012 at 10:29 AM

I once bullied a girl like this in junior high school. I’m not sure when it started, but since then I’ve been disgusted with myself. I ran into her, years later at a grocery store, and I was so overcome with shame that all I could do was mumble a ‘hello’ and get out of there. I should have apologized, and now I have to live with that too.

I couldn’t watch this video either.

jeffthevoter on June 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I was a teacher for 27 years in NC school system.
Thank the good Lord I was able to retire a few years ago.
Still had most of my sanity too.

My experience with bus behavior was that a lot depended on how tough the school was with inappropriate behavior like this poor woman endured.

If the principal was tough then kids would be banned from riding the bus short-term then long-term. The parents have their responsibility too. Usually parents were so pi**ed that they had to transport their monsters to school they probably blistered a few behinds.

But if the principal was a politically-correct pushover then bad behavior continued until someone got hurt.

I taught special education and included bus behavior in my behavior mod plan. Talked to bus drivers/monitors daily. It took one of my students jumping out the emergency door while the bus was stopped on the RR tracks to get him kicked off the bus for good.

I sent Karen $12 and it felt so good.

bailey24 on June 21, 2012 at 10:35 AM

School buses haven’t changed in decades. I was terrified when I rode them in jr. high.

faraway on June 21, 2012 at 10:42 AM

Children never understand their words until they are older.

Being bullied isn’t fun, especially if you are an elderly person. I can’t imagine what she was thinking as these ignorant inbred little turds were saying this.

I wonder what these little turds parents would say if they found out that this woman had been taunted by their evil little angels.

I hate people anymore.

upinak on June 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Spank their skinny as*es, and send them to bed without their supper.

mkenorthshore on June 21, 2012 at 11:21 AM

She was indeed on Fox and Friends this morning interviewed by Steve Doocy. Just checked the donation site and the total raised so far just passed $180,000.

NeoDawg on June 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM

I hate people anymore.

upinak on June 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

no no no. There’s other people. up up up. :)

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 11:25 AM

The kind of poison spewing out of some of those punks’ mouths is not a function of their age. It’s a function of their narcissistic and nihilistic states of mind. Karen, in their minds is not a person… rather she is an object worthy of their derision, that, in their delusional minds, will elevate their own statuses in the world.

If my old man had been shown this video with me as one of the taunters….(wow!), I wouldn’t have walked straight for a week and he would have dragged me to her house to beg for her forgiveness.

mid_aged_man on June 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

NeoDawg on June 21, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Vacation turned into retirement. /if that sloppy $15 grand annual figure is right /and that number goes where it looks like it’s going /and she keeps about half of it …

She could be pretty much done with the bus. Unless she wants to be there.

Axe on June 21, 2012 at 11:29 AM

This is one of those cases where we need to see the parents of the little brats. I have an 11 yr old boy and 9 yr old twin girls. It is very easy to teach kids respect. They are born with basic common sense anyway. You have to kill it in them for kids to act like this. The parents did this either by neglect or abuse. I am convinced.

46blitz on June 21, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Stop the bus.

“You can apologize, or you can walk. Take your pick.”

mojo on June 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

Simply disgusting.

I really feel for that poor woman, especially since she looks exactly like my mother in law.

If some little punk ever treated my mother in law (or any family member of mine) that way, they would get stomped. Hard.

UltimateBob on June 21, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Stop the bus.

“You can apologize, or you can walk. Take your pick.”

mojo on June 21, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I think it’s illegal for a school bus driver to discharge the kids until they are at their designated stop.

But, he could have stopped the bus and walked back there to try and stop the abuse.

UltimateBob on June 21, 2012 at 11:39 AM

She ought to sue the little pr*ck bastard’s parents, maybe then these useless pieces of sh*t would learn something (though suddenly I feel the urge to back retroactive reproductive rights. Does that make me a bad person? ;)

PatriotPete on June 21, 2012 at 11:40 AM

I hate people anymore.

upinak on June 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Welcome to the club!

mankai on June 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Judge Judy? Who is Judge Judy? And telling us that anyone under 18 is “exempt” from criminal statutes must come as a huge surprise to the dear little punks now incarcerated.

Criminal harrassment—threatening; on the verge of violent—applies. And in this woman’s case, it also might come under the federal hate crimes statutes since the woman is a protected category under the Civil Rights Act.

Portia46 on June 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

Wonder what would happen if this woman made those kids some cookies, gave each of them a big hug, and taught them about the Ten Commandments? Think they’d ever forget her?

Keep the faith, Karen.

TheClearRiver on June 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

If I were in charge, I would expel the boys from that school. Make them struggle to find new friends at a new school in the fall.

I noticed that the table-of-contents box for this thread says “sadism.” I think that word is often misused when we simply mean “cruelty.”

Sadism is cruelty of a sexual nature that leads to the attacker’s sexual gratification, believe. These boys were being cruel, not sadistic.

KyMouse on June 21, 2012 at 12:01 PM

It sounds like one kid was the main instigator, and the rest just followed along, as kids will do. So there was at least one budding sociopath there.

Where are the parents? If I heard my kid’s voice on that video, I would whale the living shite out of him, and then march him to Mrs. Klein’s door and make him beg for her forgiveness.

RebeccaH on June 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Portia, you have no clue how the legal system works.
See, there are laws for people under 18 and laws for people 18 or older.
They aren’t the same.
Find me one child ever charged with “harassment” of an adult. I’ll wait.

By all means lets clear our courts for these bad school kids on school buses.

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Her fund just topped 200K. I hope she has a wonderful retirement on this.

I also hope some of these children see the video when they are older and feel very ashamed of themselves. I also hope the parents of the children see the video now and apply the board of education to the seat of wisdom (as my mother used to say) to help teach their children that what they did was wrong,

talking_mouse on June 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM

Horrific.

When I was at school that would have resulted in corporal punishment (the paddle) for everyone involved and quite possibly suspensions. And the parents would have dealt out far harsher penalties once the school was finished.

Guess things change…

CorporatePiggy on June 21, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Keep the faith, Karen.

TheClearRiver on June 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Can’t bake them cookies — most states have laws now banning the distribution of “unhealthy” snacks except on limited, pre-approved occasions such as the annual holiday party.

Can’t give them hugs, or they can lodge complaints or sue for “unwanted physical contact.”

Can’t teach them the Ten Commandments because that’s “forcing religion” on them and would violate the separation of church and state.

aero on June 21, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I hate people anymore.

upinak on June 21, 2012 at 11:08 AM

I understand what you mean upinak, my Mother calls the despicable types common. I think common will always be around. But if you want to do your heart some good. Just read the comments on this thread. We have some very uncommon folks here at HA. The good news, they aren’t just here at HA.

Bmore on June 21, 2012 at 12:36 PM

If these little rats’ parents take firm and decisive action, they might be salvaged. If not, I feel sorry for the community.

I can’t imagine what my dad would have done had I pulled a stupid stunt like this. And I have a vivid imagination.

krome on June 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 9:01 AM

I didn’t watch the video myself, but my girlfriend did, and she’s the daughter of a Police office, and rather knowledgeable about such things.

She was counting the misdemeanors and felonies as they occurred. There were quite a lot of both.

kirazy on June 21, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Sounds like some of the posters here on the Megan McCain threads.

DethMetalCookieMonst on June 21, 2012 at 7:33 AM

Yes, but in that case, it’s just calling a spade a spade.

Robert Jensen on June 21, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Or in your case calling a sexist a sexist.

krome on June 21, 2012 at 12:44 PM

My parents, grandparents and neighbors all would have vied for dibs to “set me straight.”

Capitalist Hog on June 21, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 9:59 AM

Uhm, nice try.

In Kansas where I drove a schoolbus for 14 years, the kids starting at the age of ten could face criminal charges.

I had at least two elementary “BD” kids on my bus one years that had spent time in hand cuffs and at the police station.

One year I had a lift-bus with 4 seats. I had a girl with spina bifida in a wheel-chair and eight other students, most of whom were BD.

And tomorrow I am going to apply at an area school bus company and go back to driving. I will request a special ed route which includes BD kids.

davidk on June 21, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Oh and upinak, these types of threads always make it easy to spot both. Good hunting. ; )

Bmore on June 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM

Sorry for the split wink upinak. ; )

Bmore on June 21, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Don’t have time to read all comments, so maybe I’ve missed something – but what exactly is the purpose of having this person on the bus? If she can’t do anything to stop what’s happening, and doesn’t even report what happens to herself, what is the real purpose of her even being there?
All I see is a feeble and ineffective government attempt to stop bullying – nothing but political correctness run amok with no beneficial results – typical libtard policy.

dentarthurdent on June 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM

I LOVE living in America, because ONLY in America would a blogger have set up the donation site, and ONLY American citizens would donate $233k with another 30 days to go. Everybody sees their grandma riding that bus trying to make ends meet. We are a compassionate awesome people.

And by the way, my kids would never have behaved like that, i guarantee it, because if they had shown any signs of that kid of crude and vulgar beahvior, I would have trained it out of them. That kind of behavior does not start overnight, those children’s parents ignored it for far too long and what we saw on that videotape is the result.

Charge those little brats with the crimes they did in fact commit. Every objectionable touching is a battery, some of the threats do wualify as assaults, but the IIED might not fly. Their parents failed them, now let the parents pay for he lawyers to defend them, maybe that’ll teach them. If not, it might be too late.

JustTruth101 on June 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM

$230k… wow. AND CLIMBING… with 30 days to go!

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Yeah! She’s up to $239k!

Blake on June 21, 2012 at 1:45 PM

dentarthurdent on June 21, 2012 at 1:31 PM

But again, here is the dirty little secret. She said reporting it won’t change anything. And she can’t elaborate due to privacy policies. But I would not be surprised if some of these kids, maybe, had a disability. A diagnosis of a personality disorder or ADD or something. If they did…. she’s right. Nothing can change. Dirty little secret…. zero tolerance and anti-bullying policies only apply to kids without a MH or MR diagnosis. Not saying any of these kids had that… but if they did… it’s a “get out of jail free” card. They can pretty much do what they want.

JellyToast on June 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM

What is a “BD” kid? And MH or MR diagnosis?

karenhasfreedom on June 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

What are the odds that one of the dimwits parents will want a share of that? Who ever raised these kids need to be accountable.

46blitz on June 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

What is a “BD” kid? And MH or MR diagnosis?
karenhasfreedom on June 21, 2012 at 1:51 PM

BD = Behavioral Disorder

MH = Mental Health

MR = Mental Retardation

Special Education, basically.

aero on June 21, 2012 at 1:57 PM

245K presently… unreal. She’ll never have to ride a bus again!

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 1:58 PM

“She’s a widow, hearing-impaired, and a grandmother of eight.”

All in all not the best choice for a bus monitor?

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 7:29 AM

Yeah, an old woman trying to make a living, watching little snot nosed brats that need beating and you want to say that? That kind of cruelty tells me those kids and their parents are trash. I teach my kids empathy and to be kind and protect those picked on or weak. I would be ashamed of any child of mine being capable of such nastiness. Absolutely unacceptable behavior.

TXMomof3 on June 21, 2012 at 2:00 PM

mid_aged_man on June 21, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I’ve tried to imagine how my folks would have reacted, I can’t. And I have a pretty good imagination too. This would have been unthinkable, on the bus or ANYWHERE, ANYTIME.
Not sure I would be around today if I had been any part of something so vile.

JusDreamin on June 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

JellyToast on June 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Ya – that’s kind of the point of my not so rhetorical question. With political correctness as it is, even if you put a former linebacker on the bus, he would be up on charges if he ever touched one of those brats to straighten them out or stop their bullying. A lady like this can’t do anything at all – so why put her in that situation to begin with?

dentarthurdent on June 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Not sure I would be around today if I had been any part of something so vile.

JusDreamin on June 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Amen to that. When I was 11, my Mom overheard me call one of the kids on our block a ‘peckerhead’… not only did I get eat soap, I was invited to help Dad re-shingle the roof. I was not allowed to decline the invite.

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 2:10 PM

JellyToast on June 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM

This.

I taught “inclusion” classes, which meant that special education students were mainstreamed with “regular” students in my classes. I was supposed to have no more than 30% inclusion students, but I usually had closer to 50%, not counting the undiagnosed ones. Their behavior was astonishingly bad since they had never faced any real consequences in their entire lives, and learning assistants walked them through virtually every assignment. There was absolutely nothing we could do when they misbehaved or refused to do work because of the protections they had under special education law. The school staff was held accountable for their behavior, not the kids. But the school staff had no effective (legal) means of controlling them, either. The modus operandi was typically to sweep incidents under the rug so that word did not get out to the community about exactly how little control the schools have over these kids and how awful they are in class every day.

aero on June 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM

*get to eat

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 2:11 PM

$252.6k

Good. Keep it coming.

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 2:14 PM

Portia46 on June 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM

I don’t think it was on the verge of violent. It was violent.. One of the kids remarked that if he stuck his knife in her and stabbed her all his knife would come across is water. They also threatened to come to her home and break into her home and steal her stuff.

melle1228 on June 21, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Times have change. When I was a school bus driver(back when HS students drove school buses) if any kid acted up, I simply stopped the bus, physically dragged his ass off the bus and left him to walk home. The principle notified the parents that the kid was banned from riding the bus for the rest of the year. Needless to say, I did not have to put more than one ahole off the bus a year.

they lie on June 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

$288.3k and climbing…

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I made it through 50 seconds of the first one. Unbelievable.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on June 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM

I made it through 50 seconds of the first one. “Unspeakable” barely covers it.

UnrepentantCurmudgeon on June 21, 2012 at 3:58 PM

JustTruth101 on June 21, 2012 at 1:43 PM
Not to quibble, but I believe the guy who set up the fund was from Canada. But I agree with your larger point. :)

txmomof6 on June 21, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I could not make thru the video..Got so mad and then become overwhelmed with sadness I had to stop..:(:(

Dire Straits on June 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 12:14 PM

so let me ask this, you think they should get away with it?! are you insane? they SHOULD be charged and go to juvie. if any one of my sons pulled anything remotely close to this id whoop their little arses , drag them to the victims house to apologize and then haul them to the police station myself! their is NO excuse for this kind of behavior. my momma always told me that the word ugly doesnt describe how someone looks it describes how they behave , and GOD dont like ugly….. guess my momma shoulda had charge of these spawns of evil

katee bayer on June 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Are the parents of these kids clueless about their precious little angels or are the parents just that unengaged? As a child, I couldn’t even fathom talking to an adult this way.

The parents of these kids should be required to come to school and watch this video with the principal and their children. Then, let the students explain to their parents and principal why they feel this is an appropriate way to behave. Record that session and put it in on Youtube. I would also like to see Youtube appologies from every one of these kids. Of course, public shame will only go so far without the parents actually parenting these kids.

Conservative in NOVA on June 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

they lie on June 21, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Were you in SC by any chance?

Laura in Maryland on June 21, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Dire Straits on June 21, 2012 at 4:35 PM

You are a nice man. Don’t be sad, for every bad there are more good. Know them both. Embrace the good shun and punish the bad.

Bmore on June 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

I finally got around to watching this and I just can’t bring myself to finish it. Hopefully the kids get suspended and the parents get outed because I bet they are not the most upstanding parenting types.

aikidoka on June 21, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Conservative in NOVA on June 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

Good ideas. I’m sure the parents will undermine those good ideas with their future lack of parenting, but those are still things that need to be done.

aikidoka on June 21, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Bmore on June 21, 2012 at 5:49 PM

..:)

Dire Straits on June 21, 2012 at 7:27 PM

This is the end result of Dr.Spock’s follies and the ‘gentle disciple’ movement. Little hellions who torment their elders to the point of tears because they feel they can get away with it.

MelonCollie on June 21, 2012 at 7:51 PM

Conservative in NOVA on June 21, 2012 at 4:44 PM

I’d guess a mixture of both. Even when I was in high school my teachers were complaining that so many parents thought their kids really did act like angels…when they were just putting on an act at home.

And yeah, I wouldn’t have DARED to talk like this. Mom wouldn’t have waited for Dad to came home, and by the time they both got done I’d be grounded for a year and my butt would be glowing like a firefly’s.

MelonCollie on June 21, 2012 at 7:54 PM