Video: Making the bus monitor cry

posted at 6:41 pm on June 20, 2012 by Allahpundit

Rarely will I post something for you that I haven’t watched myself, but I’ll cop straight up to not having watched this one. I can’t take it; the descriptions are bad enough. The cruelty’s so gratuitous and the target so sympathetic that it’s a bit like reading a story about someone torturing a small animal. A taste from the Blaze:

Among the comment that hurt the most, Klein told WHAM-TV that one child’s statement that she is so ugly that her “kids should kill themselves” was particularly hurtful. Her son committed suicide 10 years ago.

She’s a widow, hearing-impaired, and a grandmother of eight. But all’s not lost: Thanks to Reddit and the viral outrage this clip has caused, there may yet be a happy-ish ending.

Now, as awful as this was, there was a silver lining in not only the universal condemnation of the actions of these kids, but also in a call for support for this poor woman.

Her name is Karen, and she has been a widow for 17 years, has lived in the same town she grew up in and is about to have her 50th high school reunion in the same school district, and deserves so much better than the actions shown by those in this video. Let’s figure out ways to show her that there are still good people out there…

A redditor has established an indiegogo account to collect donations. I can offer no assurances that these funds will reach her, but will make sure to update this thread once verification is obtained. In the meantime, if you would still like to donate, here is the link:

KAREN FUNDRAISER UPDATE $21,300 as of 2:10pm PST!

Follow that link in the blockquote. They just cracked $30,000 as I’m writing this. Klein apparently makes a little more than $15,000 a year as a bus monitor.

HuffPo seems to have the definitive round-up on this so go there to see how it went from random YouTube video to Internet cause celebre and national news story within 24 hours. As New York magazine says, she’s bound to turn up on the morning shows before the week is out so you might as well get up to speed now. As for the kids, take comfort in this: They can’t all be budding sociopaths. Some of them must be garden-variety brats who couldn’t resist the temptation to join in on rhetorically stomping a helpless victim. They’ll get older and they’ll mature, and then they’ll see this video again and what you’re about to feel will hit them too. Imagine that guilt. Unspeakable.

Lots of profanity here, from what I understand, so please observe your content warning.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Cindy Munford on June 20, 2012 at 10:26 PM

I agree. But I think I read somewhere that she’s going to be on all the national morning shows tomorrow. Ugh.

It must be scary for these kids to see people act like they did, not as funny when it is directed at them.

Haha, true. I think they’ve learned a big lesson already.

NYconservative on June 20, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I like the idea of requiring the kids responsible for this disgusting abuse of this woman to go work at her home for at least two weeks, if not six, at least throughout their summer.

They should not avoid substantial punishment for this behavior because, I am thinking, what we hear on this video is likely but a mere small dose of how their behavior is poor to awful elsewhere and often.

Lourdes on June 20, 2012 at 10:38 PM

No, No, No, No– My thirteen year old son would NEVER, NEVER say those things to an elderly representative from his school. First off, his SOUTHERN school system wouldn’t put up with it, and second the boy is too scared of his dad and me to do something like that. After his school got through with him, I would ride the bus with him for a week in mumu and curlers as a punishment…

He has been taught how to act. That is not just 13 year olds being 13 year olds. Calling each other dorks is one thing.. doing what those imbeciles did on that tape is an entirely different matter..

melle1228 on June 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM

Hiring this poor lady is like leading a lamb to the slaughter. These kids needs to be punished, severely. And the administrators need to get their heads out of their butts.

PattyJ on June 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM

damn when did kids suddenly think it became acceptable to talk to anyone much less adults like that?

melle1228 on June 20, 2012 at 10:31 PM

It’s a lot more common than appreciated. One of many examples comes to mind: There is a kindergartner using the F-bomb on school busses. This year in a red state. The student gets it from a vile single Mom on public assistance, food stamps, free school breakfast and lunch, and special consideration in school choice.

There are a lot of feral children out there, and the correlation with families on public assistance is pretty close. This is even in very wealthy areas like Fairfax County Virginia. We have funded self-selecting pockets of poverty, both material and spiritual since 1965.

NaCly dog on June 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM

mankai on June 20, 2012 at 7:03 PM

You don’t sound terribly familiar with Dr. Dobson. He is all about character as the basis for good self-esteem. The problem with the so-called self-esteem movement is that it has generally been about baselessly feeling good (puffing oneself up) with no work having gone into it. Good self-esteem comes from good character and hard work. Liberals will never understand that.

DrMagnolias on June 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

You don’t sound terribly familiar with the concept of self-esteem (which Webster used to define a “self-conceit”). The Bible knows absolutely nothing of any concept of esteeming ourselves. Imagine Paul encouraging Timothy to work on his own concept of “self-worth”. Insanity.

mankai on June 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM

These kids, their parents, and even their addresses have been outed. The Internet is an unforgiving beast holding a double edged sword. Good luck a-holes!

And that one kid’s apology… Yeah right. Hope the parents are experiencing enough shame to let ‘em have it.

Dongemaharu on June 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

itsnotaboutme on June 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I could barely take being with my three in the car when they were little, I know I would NOT enjoy any part of being on a school bus full of children.

Cindy Munford on June 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I wish Walt Kowalski was one of their grandfathers.

Dongemaharu on June 20, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Here’s a short video of two of the accused brats, a White one and an Asian one (their names have been provided on other sites) being rude to her on a different day. She actually fights back and tells one of the boys to go sit in another area of the bus, and he complies.

They’re just brats. Not gang members. A good whipping and a bar of soap in their mouths will set them straight.

Marcus on June 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Agreed. And this district, the Greece Central School District (where my wife went to school), has been notorious for the past few years when it comes to bad administration. Believe me, things are messed up in this district.

Also, they just covered this story again on YNN (our local cable news station), and they said that the charity is up to nearly $65,000. We’re talking world tour kinds of money for this lady.

Pope Linus on June 20, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Marcus on June 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Sounds kinky.

Corporal Tunnel on June 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Cindy Munford on June 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

LOL- My mom who sees my kids all the time kept them in Illinois for two weeks. My in laws were visiting for FLorida and they were going to pick them up from Illinois and take them back to Florida to visit.. We estimated that they would last the 8 hours in the car with my in laws to our house in Tennessee and decide that they really didn’t want to take the kids on to Florida(since my in laws aren’t kid friendly). We were right. They made it back to our house and decided against taking them back to florida with them… It took 8 hours in the car.. :)

melle1228 on June 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I’ll tell you something else, cameras and all the monitoring going on of the public will never replace morality! There will never be substitute for virtue, character and morality!
The government and police are putting cameras everywhere and all it gets us are reality TV shows! The kids who did this posted it on youtube! We need Godly values now! We need a radical return of conservative principles now or it is over!

JellyToast on June 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM

while I think what these kids did is disgusting, we do need to remember they are KIDS. They can’t be more than 12-13 years old. This is how jr high kids act. Always have and always will. That is no excuse for what they did but this incident is not an indication of bad parenting, bad schooling, liberals, bad teachers, etc. This is an example of how 12-13 year olds act since the beginning of time – ramrants

That is the exact problem, people like you that excuse crude behavior..NO, as a pre-teen, I would never, EVER think to talk to an adult such as this. My Parents wouldn’t have to beat my ass because if I dared offended like this I would have been taught a very particular lesson before they applied their own..You are amazingly wrong but I’ll guess you’re the kind of person that lets their children “express themselves” ….F*n liberals..

Doogiesd on June 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

melle1228 on June 20, 2012 at 10:52 PM

My mom lived down the street from us, same deal except she didn’t drive so she would watch them while I did groceries or whatever. What a God send! The youngest liked to get out of sight and refuse to answer when I called. It was like a perpetual heart attack. I plan to get even when he has children.

Cindy Munford on June 20, 2012 at 10:56 PM

It’s up to $84,397 and climbing each time the page refreshes. Wow.

Urban Infidel on June 20, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Doogiesd on June 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

+100

I.. can… not.. imagine doing this or any of my kids doing this. And if I did or if they did, there would be extreme consequences.

mankai on June 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Should we really be shocked though? Look at all the videos of kids beating the tar out of someone with adults looking on. They are proud of what they did, they made the video and they put it on YouTube. I know I wish I had a dollar for every f-bomb dropped.

Cindy Munford on June 20, 2012 at 10:59 PM

DrMagnolias on June 20, 2012 at 8:36 PM

mankai on June 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM

There might be a balance here.

A Christian might accept being very, very small and just let the universe, as an enterprise, be very, very big, and then realize that they are significant and important in the mind of the creator. A Christian might find value and worth (with respect to themselves, their existence) because they, their existence, are valued by God. Such a person might be humble, which is comfortable because they could stop trying to control things, and they might be able to treat themselves and the people around them well, knowing each was valuable and important.

“You are nothing.”

“No, I matter. Ask God.”

*passes hat*

Axe on June 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Public schooling and bad parenting is the issue here. I beleive American’s need to stop kissing kids’ asses and try to get them to grow UP FASTER. yeah you heard me, grow up faster. When we treat them like idiots, give them NO RESPONSIBILITIES they’ll continue to act like little idiots. We need to EMPOWER them, the ultimate effort being to get them to mature faster. Maturity is what changed me and ultimately I feel like parents today have no clue how to empower kids to be better people. We should demand of our kids almost the same that we demand of our adults. (Within reason)

Also, end public schooling. Kids should be done with school by the age of 13 or so. Once they’re physically able to drive a car and work that’s when it should begin. This would also help with the problem of teen pregnancy. There’s nothing really wrong with teen pregnancy, it’s the social timing of it. They’re teenagers with raging hormones for a reason – they’re supposed to be having kids! that’s why we look at our best at that age. But society is sending mixed signals to these teens.

Yeah I have some odd views but it’s all apart of a flawed philosophy of child rearing. Also – parents need to be told they suck at parenting more often. But nobody wants to hear it.

fatlibertarianinokc on June 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Are you KIDDING me?!? Is this how you treated adults when you were 12-13? I would’ve gotten the *sh*t* kicked out of me for even thinking of treating an adult like this. I am literally shaking with rage. Kids like these are made by parents. PERIOD. How utterly and completely disgusting.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM

But nobody wants to hear it.

fatlibertarianinokc on June 20, 2012 at 11:03 PM

Not only do they not want to hear it, they want a participation trophy.

Cindy Munford on June 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM

This is the way kids are now, all over the place. I taught high school in a suburban district in Texas. The kids were awful and the administration was always ready to throw individual teachers under the bus. The kids figured out that if enough of them joined in whatever the bad behavior was, the teacher was helpless to do anything about it. One time I referred 30 of them to the office because 30 of them were refusing to bring their books, pay attention, or do any work at all in class or at home. They weren’t cussing me or threatening me, but they were absolutely being disrespectful and completely preventing me from doing my job. So I referred every last one of them. I could’ve referred three times that many; those were just the ones who had not turned in a single thing in six solid weeks and disrupted their classes the most.

I got in trouble, of course, not the kids. The principal was furious when he got 30 referrals in his in-box and reprimanded me. I had documentation that I had followed every disciplinary step properly, including calling every parent (took me hours), and that nothing that I was allowed to do under school policy changed their behavior. I also wasn’t allowed to give them all the failing grades they earned.

Luckily, it was just a few days from the end of the year, because the kids knew beyond a shadow of a doubt after that incident that they held all the power, and they didn’t do a damned thing after that. They just sat and talked all class period, and I just sat and watched them. I handed in my resignation and have never set foot in a high school classroom again and never will.

aero on June 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM

There’s a whole generation of kids who are literally horrible human beings. My father runs a summer program for undergraduates interested in attending law school. Students have to apply to the program each year and be selected. He’s had to kick three of the 21 selected students out of the program. One for showing up drunk to multiple events and two for being cruel to instructors and rude to law firms who had agreed to host the program for the day. When he told me I was utterly flabbergasted. When I was an undergrad and had a summer internship at the Smithsonian I worshipped the ground my boss/mentor walked on and thought it was a privilege to be there everyday. I’m only 30, what happened in the past ten years to young adults?

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:12 PM

aero on June 20, 2012 at 11:09 PM

Reason number 1 why I chose collegiate teaching to secondary, I would smack someone.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM

Right wing bigot.

Just like y’all conservatives to spit on public education.

cozmo on June 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Marcus on June 20, 2012 at 10:49 PM

Any parent who did that would risk a visit from Child Protective Services and face abuse charges. Kids know this. They’d be the ones to call CPS and report their parents for doing it. Similarly, if the bus monitor had laid a hand on any of those kids (she’d have been well justified in slapping the snot out of every one of them), she’d be up on assault and battery in a heartbeat. If it were in Texas, she’d probably be acquitted, but elsewhere she’d probably be jailed for her final years. And even if she were acquitted, she’d have to pay for her defense against the charges.

I think bus monitors should always have cameras to record the kids in action. If she had taken out a cell phone and started recording their mean little faces, they would have shut their mouths instantly. They thought the kid recording was on their side, so they ignored him.

aero on June 20, 2012 at 11:17 PM

Right wing bigot.

Just like y’all conservatives to spit on public education.

cozmo on June 20, 2012 at 11:15 PM

God you’re thick. I got my BA from a public institution, my PhD from a public institution and I currently work at a public institution. But I guess when you are completely and utterly brainless you confuse all secondary education with public education.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM

One of the most disgusting things I’ve ever watched. What are we coming too?

Tomolena1 on June 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

Axe on June 20, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Sure, if value is based on things outside ourselves which are greater than ourselves. “Self-esteem” teaches intrinsic value, based on nothing except existence (“everybody gets a trophy”).

My kids have “value” because they are loved by their parents and by God. But I would never teach them that they are intrinsically valuable (more than anyone else) because they merely exist.

Dobson does not make that distinction.

mankai on June 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

God you’re thick.
libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:18 PM

And you are a bigot who refuses to give back to the community that gave you that education.

cozmo on June 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Nah, they sound like budding leftists to me. Guilt? Nah, they’ll high-five each other, remind themselves how cool they have been all their pathetic lives, and then head out to lie, cheat and steal their way merrily along, trashing other people and lives as they go, espousing tolerance and warm fuzzies, all the while saying the most vile things to and about anyone else that remotely disagrees with them. Unless they’re busy killing babies or molesting children, of course, but those are only temporary distractions before they get back to the normal daily routine.

Midas on June 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Not only do they not want to hear it, they want a participation trophy.

Cindy Munford on June 20, 2012 at 11:08 PM

lol yeah and if you don’t have kids they think you can’t say anything. Uh, yeah that’s just scapegoating. I don’t have kids but I’m the fun uncle and I see all the different kinds of parenting mistakes and the biggest is these kids live in an isolated bubble where their actions lack consequences. If a bully bullies someone, then someone needs to step in and throw that bully to the ground. Today, if that happens, the person who steps in to defend the victim they’re all three suspended. We’ve got to stop this immoral madness by recognizing that when an individual committs an act of aggression against a peaceful individual then it’s our duty to come to the victims aid.

This is why bullying has become such a problem – nobody WANTS to put a stop to it – PROBABLY because a lot of the adults dealing with it were and still ARE BULLIES THEMSELVES. But some form of bullying is simply physical assault and should be treated as such with a call to the local police to be reported. If I were a teacher/Principle and I saw a student physically attack a kid without any provocation I’d call the police on them. This would go a long way toward teaching them a huge lesson.

fatlibertarianinokc on June 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Dobson does not make that distinction.

mankai on June 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I think a lot of parents are missing out that teaching a child they have value is different from teaching them that they embody all that is good and right in the world. I was always taught that I had value, but never taught that I was infallible (far from it). My parents were very quick to say that I needed to earn my way in this world, that B+ were not good grades and that if I didn’t get my chores done there’d be no allowance. I never confused any of that with them not loving me. Maybe because they combined those standards with lots of (embarassing) hugs and kisses.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Doesn’t this apply to every American who isn’t a secondary school teacher? What are you even saying? Your blind hatred of me is causing you to become incoherent, well more than usual that is.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I never liked the self-esteem philosophy anyways.. What measures self-esteem? Someones perception.. that can be skewed in some many ways.. If you base everything on self-esteem then anything that challenged that esteem is fatal(like real life)… We are doing a disservice to children by not preparing them for real life. There is also a thing such as too much self-esteem which I think is what probably a little of what we have on the bus.. a bunch of little narcissists…

melle1228 on June 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM

fatlibertarianinokc on June 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

I was with you until you advocated calling the police. No. We should not be criminalizing kids early on. This isn’t society;s burden yet. It is the burden of the parents (who maybe should’ve thought more before breeding). Bullying kids should be expelled, held back, and only allowed back in the classroom on a probationary basis. Parents should have to account for them during the day if they didn’t raise them right before loosing them upon the school populace.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I am a school bus driver.
My school district just posted that they’re hiring bus attendants.
This morning I actually suggested to my wife that she might enjoy that job (I’ve never seen behavior anywhere near as bad as on the vid).

I’m going to recant my suggestion.

itsnotaboutme on June 20, 2012 at 10:35 PM

Cindy Munford on June 20, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I enjoy being a school bus driver…most days.
But again, I’ve never had to deal with kids like on that video.

itsnotaboutme on June 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Dobson does not make that distinction.

mankai on June 20, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I’m not familiar enough with Dobson to know; I haven’t spent much time with him.

But I understand what you’re saying.

Axe on June 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Is it okay now to pt leather to arse?

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:26 PM

Just using your own convoluted logic against you.

You cannot see your own lefty hypocrisy.

Everybody else saw, except for you.

But, y’all lefty’s are special in that way.

cozmo on June 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

pt=put

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

The kids of liberals.

John the Libertarian on June 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Good grief. May be, but that’s one hell of an extrapolation!

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Riiiight. OK first of all, you need a lesson in how to properly throw shade. Don’t start guns blazing with nasty name-calling like bigot. It reflects poorly on you and gives you the air of the “crackpot.” Throwing shade is always about reminding the person you’re way too better than them to get down in the muck. Second you have to seem like you’re asking a genuine question, you probably would recognize this tactic as “concern trolling” except that you’re not pretending to be of a particular political persuasion, you’re taking on an affectation of curiosity. Then you say something that sounds alot like what an actual leftist would say with just the slightest of tweaks. And most of all, make sure you don’t get super personal about it cause it just allows the person to side-step innacurate shade and step back into the light, as I just did. Now, go on and practice ya little stinker and soon enough you’ll be throwing shade with the best of us. Good luck!

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

The kids of liberals.

John the Libertarian on June 20, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Good grief. May be, but that’s one hell of an extrapolation!

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 20, 2012 at 11:31 PM

Didn’t you know that all conservative children are perfectly well behaved? Don’t question the hive-mind my dear Doctor, t’aint safe.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:38 PM

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:28 PM

But if we hold all the bullies back then most of our future politicians won’t make it to Harvard, Princeton or Yale! Tsk, Tsk.

As for criminalizing.. Well.. In my opinion, assault is the most basic violation of a peaceful individuals liberty and therefore a physical assault must be prosecuted. Keep in mind, I’m referring to a quiet kid sitting there doing nothing, when some ahole bully comes along and slugs him. Now, obviously punishment will depend on the kind of assault. But if the SCHOOL won’t teach the bully a lesson, perhaps a cop (who’s job is defend our liberty), will.

Perhaps we’ll not agree on this but that’s okay as long you don’t come to my house and beat the crap out of me until I agree! lol

fatlibertarianinokc on June 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Aw, coming from you…that is just so pathetic.

I like playing with you nutballs. After a hard day, it refreshes the spirit to tease the weak minded.

Though not like these punks teased the bus monitor. More like a dominatrix spanking a paying client.

cozmo on June 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

lol yeah and if you don’t have kids they think you can’t say anything.

fatlibertarianinokc on June 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Yeah, this was me in a nutshell when my younger brother-in-law’s two girls were little. Their mother was the biggest piece of work to come down the pike and together with him, was a large reason why their two girls did not know how to behave when they visited us (we lived nearby). I wasn’t keen on the kids getting into everything in the house, which they tried to do virtually every time they visited, and their parents would look daggers at us for asking them not to do, or touch, something. We weren’t their parents, so according to them, we had no right to discipline them or to tell them what they couldn’t do or where they couldn’t go in our house, but they would just abdicate their responsibilities toward them the minute they crossed our threshold. It wasn’t like we had a lot of valuable stuff around; I just wasn’t crazy about the kids running through our house as if it was a playground.

PatriotGal2257 on June 20, 2012 at 11:41 PM

cozmo on June 20, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Oh darling. I know you didn’t just try and equate yourself with the intelligent and self assured women who do professional dom-work. You aren’t fit to kiss their stilettos. Perhaps, over time, if the doctors ever learn how get your brain neuros fired up you could aspire to be one of their lackeys. But lets not hold out *too* much hope, I mean how long did it take them to come up with the Polio vaccine. Ages.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:46 PM

:facepalm:

My home town.

franciscodanconia on June 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

PatriotGal2257, this one is for you.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

$92,000

rndmusrnm on June 20, 2012 at 11:48 PM

She now has over $92k.

Blake on June 20, 2012 at 11:50 PM

This is the abuse many many school bus drivers are forced to suffer through twice every day.

The drivers who do ride herd on the nasty little spawn put themselves in jeopardy of losing everything just to do their jobs and fulfill their safety responsibility.

Speakup on June 20, 2012 at 11:55 PM

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Do you ever read your comments, cause I have to tell you, they are ridiculously hilarious.

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Bmore on June 20, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Great song right?

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:59 PM

$93,997 as of midnight, just made my own small contribution, let’s give the woman a cool $0.1million!

Sharke on June 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Absolutely horrendous. This isn’t bullying; this is depraved verbal assault. If the school does not severely punish these kids, then they’re not in the business of education.

youknowit on June 21, 2012 at 12:00 AM

Back in my day, if I had done anything like that, I would have been paddled until I couldn’t sit down for a week and expelled. And, then, when I arrived home, I would have been lectured/yelled out for over an hour, switched and grounded for two months.

These actions are despicable at any age.

Theophile on June 21, 2012 at 12:07 AM

while I think what these kids did is disgusting, we do need to remember they are KIDS. They can’t be more than 12-13 years old. This is how jr high kids act. Always have and always will. That is no excuse for what they did but this incident is not an indication of bad parenting, bad schooling, liberals, bad teachers, etc. This is an example of how 12-13 year olds act since the beginning of time. I think we all have at least one nightmare story from our time in jr high. I know I do. I also know I wasn’t as nice to my friends as I should have been. I outgrew that behavior.

Really? Really? We didn’t have cell phones in the 70s and early 80s, but we also didn’t behave like these KIDS did. Yes, we did dumb thing, but to belittle, curse, telling an old woman she is going to die, telling her she is fat, poking her arms, for TEN FULL MINUTES is not a “just a kid being a kid” thing. It is an indication of bad parenting, bad schooling, lack of meaningful discipline.

I grew up in a retiree town and although we would get yelled at for the worst offense was probably loitering or skateboarding where we shouldn’t, we still opened doors for the elderly, spoke politely, helped our elderly neighbors because our parents taught us to.

There are 12 and 13 year olds that are in my current hometown that are spoiled, bratty, disrespectful, but many are polite, kind, and have a good heart. I see many examples of the good heartedness in the ones that are brought up the right way by their family.

LadyGator88 on June 21, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Where the hell was the bus DRIVER during all this?!?!?

When I was a kid, we once had a bus driver turn the bus around and take us back to school, not because we were mean or rude, but because the driver had a headache and we were being too loud.

That driver should have turned that damn bus around, and the kids should have been made to sit in the auditorium until the parents came to pick them up.

Of course, I went to Catholic school, apparently you can get away with anything short of first degree murder in the public schools.

Maddie on June 21, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Part of the decay in our society, irony alert, is on display here. I find it ironic to see some here feigning outrage at these kids’ potty mouths and disrespect, and doing so lacing their own post with vulgarities. The level of coarse behavior in the country is pathetic, the sewage has moved from the gutters, run down trailer parks and innercity “projects” and now is found in every station of life. It seems like everyone likes to talk as though they were raised in a flop house.

flyfishingdad on June 21, 2012 at 12:36 AM

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM

Not sure how smug my two nieces’ mother was when she was pregnant — I had the good fortune not to have to be around her all that often.

But I guarantee you she’s the kind of parent that gets in your face and generally be a mouthy, pushy b!tch if you dare to diss her kids, and that might mean if you blinked one too many times at them.

I could definitely see her as being one of the moms of one of the brats on this bus.

PatriotGal2257 on June 21, 2012 at 1:00 AM

Doogiesd on June 20, 2012 at 10:55 PM

I’m not talking about you. I am talking about the behavior. This behavior has been around forever. 12 year olds have acted like this forever. It doesn’t mean they come from bad homes or have bad parents. I would imagine at least some of these kids will get the same treatment you speak of.

My point was that kids this age do really stupid stuff. This is the age where bullying is at the worst. That is because kids this age, while they know right from wrong, lack the cognitive ability to put actions and consequences together. They don’t think through how bad actions lead to bad consequences. They can, however, understand “this bad action will lead to me getting an ass whopping at home”…which is why ass whopping work.

I never defended what these kids did. In fact I said the opposite:

That is no excuse for what they did

They need to be punished, at home and at school. And the punishment needs to be painful. My kids would be spending their summer vacation being the bus monitors personal slave…after they got their asses beat. I just don’t think they need people posting their names and addresses online so the family needs police protection. These kids and their family have now become the victim.

Again, the police are having to provide protection to these children. They are not having to provide protection to the bus monitor from these children. Is that really how this should have ended?

ramrants on June 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM

AP time for an update! Over $100k raised now. The Oh Sweet Irony of all this is that this video was originally posted by one of her assailants to further their entertainment and now it’s likely to raise a full retirement for her while leading to their public outing and scorn.

newtopia on June 21, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Children are being sexually assaulted on school buses- by their classmates and by adult drivers- so any verbal abuse and bullying should be no surprise.

mittens on June 21, 2012 at 12:46 AM

Good lord. This is why people need to homeschool their kids. You should not be forced to send your kids to this type of environment everyday.

ramrants on June 21, 2012 at 1:19 AM

For three days in a row my son came home from school with tales of malicious things kids were saying to him on the bus. On the fourth day I met him at the bus stop and he got off with his glasses bent. I held the bus up and asked him what happened. He told me the kids hit his head and took his glasses when they fell off his face and had bent them. They had only given them back when he was getting off the bus. He pointed out the kids.

I walked onto the bus to the protest of the bus driver. I told her to shut up and sit down. I walked straight back to the pack of punks and said things that I can’t repeat here. I put the fear of God in them. I also let them know I would be back if it happened again, and it wouldn’t be nearly as “friendly” as I was being right then.

I got a call from the school administration explaining to me that I am not permitted on the school bus for any reason. I explained to them that if I thought my son was in trouble there was nothing they could do to keep me off the bus. I also explained that if he was harmed again that they would be held responsible, and that they had as much responsibility to protect my son as they do the bullies.

The next day the students were given assigned seats on the bus and nothing happened after that. But that bus sure got quiet whenever they pulled up to his stop and I was standing there each day.

goflyers on June 21, 2012 at 1:24 AM

$103,000 and rising. Well done reddit et al.

SoRight on June 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM

ramrants on June 21, 2012 at 1:13 AM

Yes. For these kids to realize how seriously people take this kind of thing, it should end this way. You can bet they won’t forget it.

goflyers on June 21, 2012 at 1:27 AM

Hopefully, this lady has enough money to say, take this job and shove it!

Then they can hire a former Marine for the new monitor.

PattyJ on June 21, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Children can be cruel because they are not born with a conscience. A conscience – which is the essence of what we term a “soul” – is something that takes time to develop. In some people, sociopaths, it never develops. In normal people, a conscience should begin to develop no later than 10-12 years of age. These kids are on the cusp of being sociopathic already.

keep the change on June 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM

We lived in Greece before moving to Oregon, my daughter graduated from Greece Arcadia. I found this a few minutes ago.

Greece schools did not put up with this crap, when we were there and
from what I see they still don’t
Great ending to a horrific nasty story about juvenile snots, Ms Klein
will be able to retire and the snots got some bad stuff headed their way.

District Statement Regarding YouTube Video
This morning we were made aware of a troubling video that was posted to YouTube depicting students ridiculing a bus monitor. We were able to confirm that the woman in the video is a Greece Central School District employee. We immediately activated our district bullying and violence prevention response team to investigate and contacted the Greece Police Department to conduct their own investigation.

We have discovered other similar videos on YouTube and are working to identify all of the students involved. Links to the YouTube posts were also forwarded to members of the media, some of whom have reported inaccurate and concerning information including names and addresses of students alleged to be involved in the incidents. The bus involved in this incident was carrying middle school students – all of whom are juveniles. Although their behavior was inexcusable, we also have concern for the safety of all involved. We urge patience to allow us to investigate and determine the appropriate discipline.

Currently, our district security staff and Greece Police are interviewing all of those involved. The Greece Police Department has assigned an investigator to partner with us. The Greece Central School District is committed to providing students and staff with a safe environment that respects the dignity of all. We do not tolerate harassment of staff or students.

While we cannot comment on specific student discipline, we can say that students found to be involved will face strong disciplinary action. We will continue our ongoing bullying prevention and awareness training to ensure that incidents like this do not occur in the future. Specifically, the Greece Central School District has recently adopted the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program, a systemic approach involving all community stakeholders to reduce bullying and other anti-social behaviors.

The Greece Central School District has a clear Code of Conduct and all staff and students have been fully trained. This behavior is a clear violation and will not be tolerated. The district will also ensure that reporting procedures are reviewed and response procedures are systemically in place.

stormridercx4 on June 21, 2012 at 1:39 AM

goflyers on June 21, 2012 at 1:24 AM

That is awesome! I had a similar situation myself where I got into some kids’ faces that were picking on my son. Needless to say their mothers were not very happy with me, haha. I was heartbroken when I saw what these little dirtbags did to that nice old lady in this video. I would be completely embarrassed if I were those kids’ dad and would definitely ensure it would never happen again. These kids need to be taught a real lesson in humility….

RightXBrigade on June 21, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Hopefully, this lady has enough money to say, take this job and shove it!

Then they can hire a former Marine for the new monitor.

PattyJ on June 21, 2012 at 1:29 AM

Other than perhaps being able to intimidate the kids physically or shout them down with a really loud voice, a Marine would be just as hamstrung as the old lady in terms of disciplinary options (and if you think they’d respect a Marine more than an old lady, think again–I’ve seen them treat burly male coaches this way). Public school employees have been rendered almost entirely helpless to effectively discipline the children, and they will more likely than not get into trouble themselves for trying. A Marine bus monitor wouldn’t be allowed to touch the kids, and they know it. Couldn’t even put duct tape on their foul little mouths without risking charges. An office referral would result in nothing, maybe a day in ISS (in-school suspension), which doesn’t bother them a bit. Can’t kick them off the bus in mid-ride for liability reasons. Can’t give them bad grades.

The only suggestion I’ve seen here that might be effective would be turning the bus around and going back to the school, forcing the principal to take responsibility for the offenders and calling the parents to pick them up. The main problem with that is that the other riders would be very late for their drop-offs, and that would likely cause problems with all the other families and open up a higher probability of parent complaints and possibly even lawsuits. That would get the bus monitor fired for sure. Then after all that the school would take the kids back and pop them right back on the bus. They can’t risk their drop-out rate rising if they push the rotten ones completely out of school.

aero on June 21, 2012 at 1:55 AM

Yes, the kids are awful. But why are the taxpayers paying a bus monitor $15k a year, when she clearly can’t control the kids?

angelat0763 on June 21, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I can’t say whether the kids in this video are sociopaths, but there are most definitely sociopaths and full-on psychopaths in our schools. They are ticking time bombs; the schools are completely aware of them but can’t do a thing to remove them until someone gets hurt, and even then they’re usually back after a couple of days in juvi. Teachers may get a form at the beginning of the year noting that a student has “anger management issues” or some such, and they may have access to some kind of crisis management counselor on campus, but that’s about all that is done to protect others from sudden and unexpected aggression by these scary kids.

Remember this one? http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Tyler-Teacher-Stabbed-Died-60693247.html A kid just out of the blue grabbed a pair of scissors off his teacher’s desk and stabbed the teacher to death. Male in his 50s, not a frail guy. Teachers these days deserve combat pay.

aero on June 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Treat my mom that way (same age) and see where it gets you.

Punks. I hate Punks.

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 2:29 AM

aero on June 21, 2012 at 2:07 AM

Yeah, but if one of these punks actually was disciplined or expelled, the parent(s) could make a big stink of it, spin what happened and then the story makes the news somewhere and then folks will be going on and on about how the incompetent (unionized no doubt) teachers responsible are incompetent and should be removed, how public schools suck and so on, etc.

Basically I agree with you. I’d go a step further and say that at some point (8th or 9th grade?) these discipline problems should be removed from the school systems. We simply can no longer afford them, they aren’t learning anything anyway, they’re a danger to the vast majority of decent children, and detract from others’ education.

Also, our overall test scores will jump significantly without these reprobates dragging everything down.

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 21, 2012 at 2:31 AM

More of Obama’s kids just out for skittles.

rcl on June 21, 2012 at 2:34 AM

$103,000 and rising. Well done reddit et al.

SoRight on June 21, 2012 at 1:25 AM

Awesome!

Now, now how much is that really once the IRS gets done with her?

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 21, 2012 at 2:40 AM

angelat0763 on June 21, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Heartless little twit aren’t you? So how much do you think she should get? What, you don’t think this is a job? Is it like being a housewife; she should do it for free? Out of love for the children?

As for controlling the kids; they have a retired widow mom doing this job just so they can keep it to $15K! The two guys needed to control this trash would cost $55K each and a legal fund when the parents sue for abusing Latisha and Javon.

Speaking of legal funds, I suppose you don’t think the administrators knew the situation. Hell yes they did. If this was a private business the employers would be criminally liable for putting her in this situation.

I hope she sues their ass and I hope it comes out of your taxes.

rcl on June 21, 2012 at 2:51 AM

How many of you have just come over here from the thread about Cavuto unloading on that festering, slimy piece of pig afterbirth O’Donnell over at PMSNBC concerning poor Anne Romney’s MS and her treating it with dressage?

How many of you are revolted at the rapidity with which this country and it’s good people — like this poor lady on the bus — are being stuffed into a 25-gallon garbage bag and thrown out onto the trash heap by uncaring, unfeeling little sons-of-b|tches like the punks shown here or the punk in the White House and his punk AG and his punk Treasury Secretary or his punk thug buddies in the unions or the rest of the sniveling, whining people in this country living off your and my pathetic efforts to stay employed and meet our societal obligations?

How many of you want to take back the country like we attempted to do in 2010? How many are up to finishing the job this November and will work to drive the scum and villains out at every opportunity thereafter?

How many of you feel like this:

The War Planner on June 21, 2012 at 2:51 AM

I don’t agree with you on a lot of cultural things AP, but I’m a 2x vet and a city cop (most of why I don’t care for your civic commentary) but I can’t bring myself to watch this either. Already have too little faith in people.

Sgt_H on June 21, 2012 at 3:05 AM

mankai on June 20, 2012 at 10:45 PM

I did not intend to insult you with my comment about Dr. Dobson. I have simply seen too much mischaracterizing of his work on this, and other, boards. He has done a great deal of good, and his books are centered on character development, not on feeling good about oneself without having done anything to earn it.

Webster’s can be useful, but it is not the final word–another dictionary defines self-esteem as “confidence in one’s own worth or abilities; self-respect” (and the psychology literature would have any number of definitions that try to define it). I believe the latter definition is much more accurate–self-conceit would be “puffery,” which is simply not what self-esteem is about.

I can look at myself and list my strengths and weaknesses, and despite my imperfections recognize my value. That is healthy self-esteem. It is based upon the work I have done to have good character, to be healthy (mentally, physically, emotionally, spiritually), out of self-respect. As a Christian, I am able to recognize that I have value and dignity by virtue of being human (created in the image of God), and despite my sinful nature. That is good self-esteem–not conceit, not puffery–a simple ability to tell the truth.

Again, it was not my intention to insult you. I apologize for giving you that impression.

DrMagnolias on June 21, 2012 at 3:10 AM

Now, now how much is that really once the IRS gets done with her?

Dr. ZhivBlago on June 21, 2012 at 2:40 AM

Better than nothing.

Ugly on June 21, 2012 at 3:38 AM

She should just pull a gun on the kids. Maybe shoot one in the knee.

That should settle the little sobs down a bit.

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 3:49 AM

A small confession:

Ironically, after initially seeing this story here, I left home to go play some basketball here in SF. While driving, I randomly saw a woman walking on the sidewalk with whom I had attended just about every school level with.

And I remembered how on more than one occasion I had teased this poor girl. Nothing like this video, more like how kids will routinely do, but mean and uncalled for none the less. But what struck me was the regret and shame I felt for it all…20-25 years later.

The feelings are nothing new, as I had seen her before today on several occasions, but it was poetic to see her again today after getting so angry at what I watched on this video.

I’d hate to imagine what these kids will feel when they get older. And they will feel it – it might take until they’re 68 themselves, but they will. And just as I deserve it, so will they.

FadeToBolivia on June 21, 2012 at 5:21 AM

terrible.
sad.

this will come back to haunt these brats.

ted c on June 21, 2012 at 6:06 AM

melle1228 on June 20, 2012 at 10:41 PM

When my daughter was 13 she took a stand and made decisions that required great moral strength and maturity and alienated some of her friends in the process. She did this because knew exactly what she was worth as a human being and believed (still does) that all human beings are worth the same. I am as proud of her as I am disgusted at the parents of those amoral punks who have learned – from their parents – to value nothing.

SKYFOX on June 21, 2012 at 6:07 AM

angelat0763 on June 21, 2012 at 1:58 AM

I agree with you 100%. She’s not just there to sit and ride. These are immature brats she’s dealing with and she CAN’T/WON’T DISCIPLINE.

Put another way: what if she were a teacher in front of a classroom with 11 and 12 year olds hurling the F-word and insults at her while she as the teacher did nothing but sit at her desk and take it. I’d say she was an awful “teacher” who’s completely lost control of her classroom.

She seems like a sweet old lady. But she should be at home watching her stories on TV.

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 6:45 AM

I would say $116,891 is a pretty happy-ish ending!! And it’s not over yet, just wait until today’s take! Good for Grandma! She sat there and took it and got rewarded. The only thing that bothers me about this “feel sorry” pay-off is, well, if you can net six figures on something like this then I suspect we will see some “feel sorry” scripted scams coming our way based on this case in the near future.

Dollayo on June 21, 2012 at 6:48 AM

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 6:45 AM

I’m guessing that bus monitors are not expected or allowed to do anything but sit there to satisfy some insurance requirement. Any action at all on her part would invite a lawsuit from at least one of the A-hole parents that spawned those mini-monsters.

SKYFOX on June 21, 2012 at 6:53 AM

A small confession:
FadeToBolivia on June 21, 2012 at 5:21 AM

I would have pulled over and apologized to the person rather posting some “confession” after the fact here on HA.

Puleeese!

Spare me!

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 6:55 AM

SKYFOX on June 21, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I’m tired of people using that excuse. There’s another video where she tells one of those brats to be quiet and move to another seat and he shuts up and moves to another seat. These are kids. She’s the adult.

Marcus on June 21, 2012 at 7:01 AM

Sherman1864 on June 21, 2012 at 6:55 AM

Maybe you didn’t read past the part you quoted, but as I mentioned above, this wasn’t the first time I had seen/bumped into her. I’ve long since apologized.

But that wasn’t the point of the post, which was apparently completely lost on you. Oh well.

FadeToBolivia on June 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM

$118,413 in the Karen fund.

Grunt on June 21, 2012 at 7:14 AM

FadeToBolivia on June 21, 2012 at 7:11 AM

You do not mention anywhere in the original comment that you apologized. You merely mention “seeing ” the poor woman. Otherwise, one does find the comment in need of more organization to improve its clarity.

No, the larger point was far from lost on me.

However my point appears lost on you

But my point is merely my opinion and that opinion has not changed.

QED.