Sheila Jackson Lee: This F&F debacle started under Bush

posted at 3:37 pm on June 20, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

This is getting tiresome. The Right Scoop grabbed this clip of Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) on C-SPAN reprimanding Republicans’ investigation into deadly gunwalking scandal Fast & Furious by — yet again — chalking it up to one of President Obama’s ‘inherited’ problems.

“This Fast and Furious debacle started under the Bush administration, and it is been evidenced by various reports that it started with the ATL office in Arizona unbeknownst to leadership in Washington D.C., at least leadership that came in under the Obama administration in this instance, Eric Holder. … We have to be adults in this process, particularly when we’re trying to get to the bottom of the, of the issue of Fast and Furious. … And so I defend the general, one, on the service that he has given to this country, over decades of public service in the federal law enforcement, and the work that he is doing in the area of civil rights, in the area of federal crimes, in the area of mortgage relief, settlements that he’s brought about because of that, and the help that he has given in patent law and inventions in terms of protection, and trust. …”

On several occasions during the multiple hearings at which he’s testified, Attorney General Eric Holder has repeatedly (and smugly) tried to assuage his investigators by insisting that Operation Wide Receiver, which was implemented under the Bush administration, was the template for Operation Fast and Furious. Firstly, as Rep. Dennis Ross noted during this morning’s Oversight Committee meeting, comparing F&F and Wide Receiver is a “red herring” the DOJ is using to try and redirect blame back on the Bush administration — the tactics used in the two operations were fundamentally different. Secondly, the DOJ just retracted Holder’s statement last week that his Bush-administration predecessor had been briefed on the operation. Here’s the memo from Sen. Chuck Grassley:

Re: Second retraction of Fast and Furious Assertions

Da: Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Justice Department has retracted a second statement made to the Senate Judiciary Committee. During a hearing last week, Attorney General Eric Holder claimed that his predecessor, then-Attorney General Michael Mukasey, had been briefed about gunwalking in Operation Wide Receiver. Now, the Department is retracting that statement and claiming Holder “inadvertently” made that claim to the Committee. The Department’s letter failed to apologize to former Attorney General Mukasey for the false accusation. This is the second major retraction the Justice Department has made in the last seven months. In December 2011, the Department retracted its claim that the ATF had not allowed illegally purchased guns to be trafficked to Mexico. Sen. Chuck Grassley’s letter and the Department’s response can be viewed here-1.

Grassley made the following comment on these developments.

“This is the second time in nearly seven months that the Department has gotten its facts wrong about gunwalking. Attorney General Holder accused Attorney General Mukasey, without producing any evidence, of having been briefed on gunwalking in Wide Receiver. The case Attorney General Mukasey was briefed on, Hernandez, is fundamentally different from both Wide Receiver and Fast and Furious since it involved cooperation with the Mexican government. Attorney General Holder’s retraction should have included an apology to the former Attorney General.

As Rep. Trey Gowdy vociferously pointed out during the Oversight meeting this morning, it doesn’t matter what party this operation came from or what other administrations have done in the past — none of that does anything to mitigate the fact that Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry is dead, killed with guns that the U.S. government allowed to freely walk across the border to Mexican drug cartels. Righteousness demands that we figure out how and why this happen, regardless of whether or not AG Eric Holder has a good record on “civil rights” and “patent law.”

Heh. I think it’s safe to say that he voted “yes” on holding Eric Holder in contempt.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Yes, I remember now. It was back about the same time the astronauts planted the flag on Mars.

CurtZHP on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Sheila Jackson Lee cannot feel shame.

Fallon on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I just wrote about this. It’s all smoke and mirrors by the Dems:

Chris of Rights on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

No, it didn’t and Sheils is a dumb cow, but I apologize sincerely to the good cows.

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

So Obama is invoking Executive Privilege to protect….Bush?!?

JohnTant on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Blame it on Bush. The standard line of every Democrat. I thought Obama’s administration was supposed to be the most transparent administration ever. The only thing transparent is that it is not transparent.

SC.Charlie on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

I have to ask myself: If George W. Bush were an African-American would she be making these accusations?

Drained Brain on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

She is a leftist and leftists have their shame gland removed at birth.

Mr. Arrogant on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

“Must we go through this again?” – Erika

Yes. you must. Beating will continue until moral improves.

dissent555 on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Sheila, just for you, dummy.

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

CurtZHP on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Bush was running guns to the illegal aliens on Mars.

jon1979 on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Transparent.

8thAirForce on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Don’t forget the chid-drens, girl.

BobMbx on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

And SJL’s stupidity and ignorance started the day she was born. Oh, and won’t end until …

stukinIL4now on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

It’s pretty obvious from the clip of Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Enron) that she just got her talking points today.

J_Crater on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

More batguano crazy person speak.

jake49 on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Jimmy Hoffa is buried at the Crawford ranch as well.

mwbri on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

That is not an attractive pic of her, and to say that much is extremely charitable. Oh and yes, the intellectual caliber of our public servants is enough to make you weep is it not? She can’t even be a clever hack, just a run of the mill spin machine.

Tacitus on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

I bet that this affirmative action stained imbecile couldn’t point out the State of Texas, on a map of Texas – let alone determine whether or not Texas has a border with Mexico.

But she could tell you that the Senate did, indeed, pass a budget.

OhEssYouCowboys on June 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

As I understand the use of Executive Privilege it is only to be used if the President of the United States was involved. Just how was Obama involved in Fast and Furious, the coverup? If so, it sounds a lot like Nixon and the Watergate break-in back in 1972.

SC.Charlie on June 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Would it be appropriate to remind Sheila Jackson Lee about thousands of Bush=Chimp pictures having circulated in the Internet? That debacle started under him, too.

Archivarix on June 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

According to Grassley’s memo, Justice said that Holder “inadvertently” made the charge against Mukasey in a hearing.

The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Anything else is perjury. Inadvertent or not. If you don’t know what the truth is, then thats your answer.

BobMbx on June 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Bush also got us involved in the war which has today given us two Vietnams, north and south.

Bishop on June 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

these people scream racism so much the term doesn’t mean anything anymore. looks like your friend Katie P. is getting pi$$ed waiting for the vote to happen based on her twitter.

gsherin on June 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Oh yes we must, over and over again, until the Congressional Black Caucus is no longer comprised of the most moronic, venal, criminal sacks of excrement holding Federal office.

rayra on June 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Apparently we do

Idiots

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Doug Powers has it about right “…her IQ is so low she keeps tripping on it”. That’s what happens when your braids are too tight.

I forget. What is the name of that Congressman who didn’t want troops sent to some island because the “island would tip over”? I kept waiting for his sarc signal, but the dude was serious. Just think if he and Shiela married and had progeny….

Portia46 on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Sorry, after listening to her, and Elijah Cummings today, I just gotta say, I find it eminently difficult to respect the opinions of those who insist on pronouncing words like “with” as “wif”. And this is not a racist thing, it’s a professionalism thing.

waterytart on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I always confuse her with Big Pink Sequin Hat Lady.

Blake on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Why shouldn’t she say what she the hell wants to. Lily White Republicans are scared to death of criticizing her by name before cameras.

Marcus on June 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM

So what happened to that ” racism” excuse SJL ?

burrata on June 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Tacitus on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

The things I’m tempted to say about her (and not just about her appearance) would probably get me banned from Hot Air, and she just isn’t worth it.

UltimateBob on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Why does that idiot moonbat always look like she is part of a second rate carnival?

David in ATL on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Bush kidnapped the Lindbergh baby

faraway on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

And Haliburton rented the Ryder trucks to run the guns over the border.

mwbri on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I have to believe that President Bush has to laugh now at how many times he is blamed by everyone for everything wrong in the world. I am surprised that they haven’t found a way to also blame Sarah Palin at this point.

karenhasfreedom on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

SC.Charlie on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

They are transparent in one sense: people can see right through them.

AZCoyote on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Sheila Jackson Lee is a real moron! How she continues to be re-elected every 2-years is a mystery……maybe not!

tomshup on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

sadatoni on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Sheila (“We must protect the vunable (sic)” Jackson Lee is a dumb as a box of rocks (which may be an insult to rocks everywhere). Furthermore, unlike Queen Sheila, the rocks can’t talk which is a huge point in their favor.

natasha333 on June 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Sheila Jackson Lee cannot feel shame.

Fallon on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

…she keeps doing this in PUBLIC…and no one can get this woman committed?

KOOLAID2 on June 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Portia46 on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

That was Hank Johnson, and the island was Guam.

UltimateBob on June 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Portia46 on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Hank Johnson.

JohnTant on June 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

The GOP needs to get out in front of this and quickly and correctly educate the masses. We can’t let people like her spread her lies.

joekenha on June 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

To make matters worse for her, that allegation (starting under the Bush Administration) was withdrawn already.

Unfortunately, I am stuck with her as my US Representative. To make matters worse, after redistricting, I lost Dan Patrick as my Texas Senator and Dwayne Bohac as my Texas Representative. I’m practically 0-fer now…

golfer1 on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

I’m gonna sell her the flag we planted on Mars! It just arrived in the mail!!!

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSs.

nicktjacob on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

On a side note, and I am asking this question with all due respect. How is it in these majority minority districts, that are served up to the democrats on a silver platter, that the best they can do is nominate and elect Sheila Jackson Lee, Maxine Waters, etc? I used to live in Maxine Waters district and I know there are a LOT of alternatives than Waters who could represent that district and actually serve the nation’s best interests, too. When I lived in her district, she never even had competition in the primaries, not really. Sigh.

karenhasfreedom on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

sadatoni on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I’m going to go out on a limb and guess it’s got something to do with her skin color.

Doughboy on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

From Katie Pavlich at Townhall:

The parents of murdered Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, who was killed by illegal wielding Fast and Furious weapons, have released a statement surrounding today’s events:

“Attorney General Eric Holder’s refusal to fully disclose the documents associated with Operation Fast and Furious and President Obama’s assertion of executive privilege serves to compound this tragedy. It denies the Terry family and the American people the truth. Our son, Border Patrol Agent Brian Terry, was killed by memebers of a Mexican drug cartel armed with weapons from this failed Justice Department gun trafficking investigation. For more than 18 months, we have been asking our federal government for justice and accountability. The documents sought by the House Oversight Committee and associated with Operation Fast and Furious should be produced and turned over to the Committee. Our son lost his life protecting this nation, and it is very disappointing that we are now faced with an administration that seems more concerned with protecting themselves rather than revealing the truth behind Operation Fast and Furious.”

INC on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Why is Sheila talking? There were no “vunables” involved.

We Texans do not claim this breathing sack of carbon based ignorance.

Spider79 on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Bush caused 9-11… oh wait…

Bush caused Katrina… oh wait…

faraway on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Sheila, you must understand, all those guns are going to flip over Guam. We require your support in this investigation.

PXCharon on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Incredibly stupid or a big liar. Not sure which one is worse.

rbj on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Yes, we all hang on Sheila Jackson Lee’s grasp of the facts, because she is such a paragon of objectivity and intelligence. But her defense is probably only the first shot in the Democrats’ battle to make the public believe that Fast and Furious was started by George W. Bush. No doubt the MSM will aid in that battle.

RebeccaH on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

I can see another possible reason: the intentional arming of a specific cartel or cartels in order to instigate war between them. This might possibly have been an attempt to create a counterweight to the Zetas to prevent the Zetas from completely taking over the Mexican drug business.

crosspatch on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

That is one stupid woman. Not a modicum of human intelligence. I hope she doesn’t have a driver’s license.

ultracon on June 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM

golfer1 on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

One word, MOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

karenhasfreedom on June 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Bush caused the ’68 riots!

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Obooba claims executive privilege because of internal deliberations… I thought he was a Fast & Furious virgin…? I thought he had nothing to do with it…? Well, except for maybe “under the radar.”

Akzed on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Sheila…stop talking in Ebonics…

PatriotRider on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

sadatoni on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Doughboy on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

Uh oh… Oh wait, you refer to the confidence, don’t you?

Archivarix on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

So Obama is invoking Executive Privilege to protect….Bush?!?

JohnTant on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Bingo….winner! How does Obama/Holder reconcile that?????

Oh, and Sheila Jackson Lee is not worth a single second of time, as anything she says is completely idiotic and absent of thought. Come ‘on Texas, you can do better.

goflyers on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

With the EP Obama has implicated himself.

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

golfer1 on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

So, you lost Bohac and now you’re stuck with BOHICA.

UltimateBob on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Hey Sheila – you guys are just protecting Bush by holding onto those documents.

Chuck Schick on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Bush turned me into a newt!

Well…I got better.

Bishop on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

David in ATL on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Because that’s what the Congrssional Black Caucus IS.

rayra on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

The fact that this woman was EVER voted into office, much less the fact that she is repeatedly voted into office is an embarrasment to me as a Texan.

For thoe who love to listen to her most famous idiotic clips, I give you this

You’re welcome.

WhaleBellied on June 20, 2012 at 3:55 PM

So 0bama claims that blaming Bush is now Executive Privilege?

pedestrian on June 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM

If it’s Bush’s fault, why not show us the EEEEEEEVIL that he did by releasing the documents? Bambi is protecting W???? Not even the left would have the unmitigagted gall to tell that lie.

JustTruth101 on June 20, 2012 at 3:56 PM

sadatoni on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I resent that remark, speaking as a constituent of Senator Patty Murray.

I’ll concede that you’d have to add up both of their IQs to hit triple digits.

Drained Brain on June 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

sadatoni on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

She’s the stupidest human on whichever side of the Mississippi she happens to be on at any given time.

Akzed on June 20, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Can you spell I-D-I-O-T

Art on June 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM

sadatoni on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Let’s just say she represents a portion of Houston where cattle are smarter than the voters.

Erich66 on June 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Shorter S. J Lee: “The Obama admin is just as eeeevilll and stooopid as that eeeevilll and stooopid Bush administration was”

RSbrewer on June 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Bush made the Mars rover AVOID showing the flag.

HornetSting on June 20, 2012 at 3:58 PM

VUNABLES!!1!111!!eleventy!!

Lost in Jersey on June 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Bush broke up The Beatles
:O

burrata on June 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

INC on June 20, 2012 at 3:52 PM

My heart breaks for this family, and the families of all of the Mexican victims of this atrocity. That statement they released was very well done. They have impressive people helping them out.

karenhasfreedom on June 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

It’s times like this that I miss the trolls.

PALIN!

Did it work?

Bishop on June 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Sheila Jackson Lee: the stupidest woman in congress. I fail to understand how her constituents have any confidence in her. – sadatoni on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I humbly disagree with this remark. She is just a partisan hack reciting lines from the Democrat play book. There are really some dumb members of Congress who I shall not name.

SC.Charlie on June 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

It’s a shame that stoopid can’t be used to light our homes and businesses.

single stack on June 20, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Isn’t she the one who eats her staff whole?

Ever wonder what it’s like to work with her each day while being normal and intelligent like Trey Goudy or Steve King?

Insanity + malice + race card = Elvira Jackson Lee

LetsBfrank on June 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM

Maybe she can share a cell with Eric Holder.

bluesman on June 20, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Well, if this was all a Bush operation, then Eric Holder must be a hero having uncovered it all. I’m sure he’ll have no problem now releasing all the documents . . . right?

TarheelBen on June 20, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Okay. Let’s assume, for the sake of argument that it is true – that F&F started under Bush.

So what? Show us the documents!!

Monkeytoe on June 20, 2012 at 4:02 PM

This is getting tiresome.

The Democrat’s Sal Alinsky tactics that the MSM never picks up on is tiresome.

1. say the opposite of the truth, over and over again.
2. accuse the accuser of doing the same thing.
3. blame Bush.

kirkill on June 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

also, you’re spelling vunnable wrong

WhaleBellied on June 20, 2012 at 4:04 PM

Is that Michael Jackson’s suitcoat she’s wearing?

LetsBfrank on June 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

POSTED AT 3:37 PM ON JUNE 20, 2012 BY ERIKA JOHNSEN

You are objecting that he made that (logical) connection…or that you perceived him to make it ‘smugly?’
Even Issa won’t go far as to deny the obvious.
At today’s hearings he said of Wide Receiver, that it was the ‘genesis’ of all the ‘bad ideas’ to be found in F&F.
He did not appear smug when saying that.

verbaluce on June 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

Ok, so let’s see what those documents they’re withholding expose about GWB.

The Count on June 20, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Incredibly stupid or a big liar. Not sure which one is worse.

Why is this an either/or statement?

It actually is both.

gonnjos on June 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

How come having a certain IQ is not a requirement for being in Congress?

———-

Even Issa won’t go far as to deny the obvious.

verbaluce on June 20, 2012 at 4:05 PM

But Holder did, today, you fool. Read up.

Schadenfreude on June 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

I wanna see our flag on Mars from my house!

Valkyriepundit on June 20, 2012 at 4:07 PM

This woman undoubtedly cannot breathe, walk and chew gum at the same time. Impossible.

JAM on June 20, 2012 at 4:08 PM

So Obama is invoking Executive Privilege to protect….Bush?!?

JohnTant on June 20, 2012 at 3:41 PM

Exactly!

If this is all Bush, then why is the Obama Administration protecting him?

And ultimately, I wouldn’t care even if he did. This still needs to be investigated.

Esthier on June 20, 2012 at 4:09 PM