Breaking: Eric Holder asks for executive privilege on subpoenaed F&F documents; Update: And gets it

posted at 10:36 am on June 20, 2012 by Erika Johnsen

What in the sam hill is in these documents?

Last night, Chairman Darrell Issa declared that Attorney General Eric Holder had failed to provide sufficient documentation or a worthwhile-enough ‘briefing’ to forestall today’s scheduled contempt proceedings. Ahead of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee’s vote this morning, Holder finally decided to go straight to the top and ask his boss to invoke executive privilege on the outstanding documents included in last October’s Congressional subpoena. From Katie Pavlich, live on the Hill:

Just 15 minutes before the House Oversight Committee vote against Attorney General Eric Holder takes place, the Department of Justice has asked the White House to insert Executive Privilege for all Operation Fast and Furious documents according to Chairman Issa’s press secretary Becca Watkins.

Fox News is reporting that The Most Transparent Administration Ever has granted Holder’s request and will indeed allow him executive privilege to withhold the documents.

President Obama has granted an 11th-hour request by Attorney General Eric Holder to exert executive privilege over Fast and Furious documents, a last-minute maneuver that appears unlikely to head off a contempt vote against Holder by Republicans in the House.

Executive privilege is not a common tactic — the president’s authority can still be overturned (don’t you just love checks and balances?), but this could mean a showdown between our several branches of government. Doesn’t exactly do much to bolster the White House’s story that ‘this isn’t a cover-up’ and ‘the higher-ups were uninvolved in this operation,’ does it?

Regardless, the contempt vote is scheduled to move forward. If the Oversight Committee votes yes (and it looks like they will), that moves the proceedings over to the House. If the full House votes to hold Holder in contempt, it goes to a grand jury, and if a grand jury indicts Holder, it goes to trial.

Updates to follow…

Update: It appears that Eric Holder sent his letter to the White House requesting executive privilege last night, and this morning, Deputy Attorney General James Cole sent a letter to Chairman Issa informing the Committee of the White House’s assent.

Dear Mr. Chairman:

After you rejected the Department’s recent offers of additional accommodations, you stated that the Committee intends to proceed with its scheduled meeting to consider a resolution citing the Attorney General for contempt for failing to comply with the Committee’s subpoena of October 11, 2011. I write now to inform you that the President has asserted executive privilege over the relevant post-February 4, 2011, documents.

We regret that we have arrived at this point, after the many steps we have taken to address the Committee’s concerns and to accommodate the Committee’s legitimate oversight interests regarding Operation Fast and Furious. Although we are deeply disappointed that the Committee appears intent on proceeding with a contempt vote, the Department remains willing
to work with the Committee to reach a mutually satisfactory resolution of the outstanding issues.

Here’s another thought: Invoking executive privilege on this case is going to come off as a very dodgy and arrogant move. But the White House is willing to take on that bad press, and I can only presume that’s because whatever is in those documents… is much more damning than the alternative. Oh, the tangled webs we weave!

Update: The blogosphere has often lamented about the mainstream media’s lack of consistent interest in the deadly Fast and Furious scandal — they wouldn’t want to report too thoroughly on anything that might harm their darling president’s image, you know. But President Obama asserting his supreme authority into the fray has made this the top story of the day. Just search for breaking news related to “executive privilege.” It’s exploding. Heh. No more sweeping this under the rug now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 8 9 10 11 12

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:05 PM

Ha, ha, ha!!!!
I thought the same thing.

D-fusit on June 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Blog understatement of the month. And as for my condescending tone. Its just #shade don’t take it personal. You could also read that paragraph (and yes I thoroughly enjoyed writing it) as my own admission that I’m into very nerdy TV.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 2:56 PM

As I said, I genuinely don’t care what a person’s background is. I don’t care if you study string theory or CNC machining. Doesn’t matter how much you drink, what you smoke, or who you bang. Plenty here, over the years, have attacked me on those irrelevant grounds, hence I avoid employing such tactics myself. Either you have a valid argument, or you don’t. While, as you’re surely aware, I can be an explosive a**hole, I’ll gladly correct myself if you note either a double standard on my part, or a cheap debate tactic.

I am very much into nerdy TV. I’ve worn the key to the TARDIS around my neck for almost 20 years(and I’m not yet 30). However, my view on the prospect of either foreign invasion or tyranny come not from fictional stories, but of the stories of Germany, Italy, Russia, Armenia, Cambodia, North Korea, and other nations whose people suffered during the 20th century. I sincerely hope that no situation will ever arise in which I need to bear my weapons against an enemy, be it a terrorist, stormtrooper, or burglar. The fact of the matter is, however, that such things do occur. They’re, thankfully, unlikely to occur because we have various safeguards in place…

…but I always remember that we’re never more than a few steps away from despotism, mass civil unrest, or even a technological dark age. One day, we may wake up to an entirely different world, and have to deal with it. I would prefer to be at least somewhat prepared for that possibility. After all, do you put your seatbelt on when the crash happens, or as soon as you get into the car?

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Dr evil im sure he said this of Alberto Gonzales

What an idiot

cmsinaz on June 20, 2012 at 3:00 PM

I can’t remember the last time I heard so much phony B.S. in one day. I need to go put a pair of hip waders on :)

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:09 PM

So it’s not actually work then? That is just too funny. What is your field of study comedy? Well since we’re playing “getting to know libfreeordie” let’s have what your real field of study is so we’ll know whether you’ve performed any actual work. Keep in mind, that this is what I consider real intellectual work.

DFCtomm on June 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM

This will answer that question:

As usual, you misunderstand me. I’m not an English scholar, but I am a humanities PhD and I am on the tenure track at a major public institution. I didn’t enter this game for the money. In fact, I entered it because I wanted to be in a job that I loved, that offered a decent middle class salary, and that didn’t compromise any of my values and principles. Mission accomplished. What pisses me off is when people attack “faculty salaries” as the source of the higher education bubble. Its just false.

libfreeordie on March 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Yoop on June 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

So how very much worse is it, that they’re willing to look guilty rather than reveal the documents?

rayra on June 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

And I also guarantee that those who bohoo academia as a profession have no idea whats involved.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Spare us your entirely unwarranted sanctimony.

I am currently a returning student at 40 years of age at a major 4 year college. So I am able to look critically at academia through adult eyes rather than the eyes of an impressionable 18 year old child.

Here’s an example of what’s involved.

Take for instance the English class I was required to take. Having tested out of the 1st Semester English class, I was still required to take the 2nd semester class.

Over the course of an entire semester, we had to write a single 10 page paper. A feat that ought to be accomplished over the course of a weekend. The paper was piecemealed throughout the entire semester with a page here and a page there being due each week.

But did the paid professional look at our papers. Absolutely not. Adhering to some New Age nonsense about the power of the circle which helps facilitate a chaotic class atmosphere, the esteemed professor had us place our desks in a circle as though we were in a kindergarten class.

She then had us exchange papers with other students. We would then read the other student’s papers and leave comments about how they should adjust their paper. The papers I read were barely an an 8th grade competency level, so how these students ever got into a 2nd semester college leave course is beyond me.

But one of the comments I received from another student on my paper was that I shouldn’t use such big words because some people might not understand them.

So I was paying $1200/semester at a major 4 year university to sit in a circle with students with no degree, no training, and no experience, and have them tell me to dumb down my paper.

Did the teacher engage in any actual education? Not one whit. There sure was a lot of activist garbage in the textbook espousing the tenets of socialism though.

That’s what’s involved.

Baby Boomer hippies have utterly decimated the American education system with their fantasy based activist nonsense. This is why the United States lacks in areas of math and science, because teachers spend all their time with garbage socialist activism, rather than teaching skills that will help the student in the real world.

No wonder a degree is no longer a guarantee of employment post graduation.

So when we see the idiot Occupiers whining about wanting socialism and communism and wanting to kill capitalism, have a little pity because that’s the garbage they’re learning in our fine universities.

And the taxpayers are funding it. Marvelous.

So not only do you not belong on that high horse at all, but the horse doesn’t even exist for you to be on in the first place.

jjrakman on June 20, 2012 at 3:11 PM

Flora Duh on June 20, 2012 at 2:17 PM
I thought he would throw Holder under the bus. Obama either knows what’s going on with F&F (IMHO he does, but there’s prob. no paper trail) or else he needs Holder to continue his nefarious pursuit of undermining the integrity of state voter laws for November.

INC on June 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM

B.O. can’t very well throw Holder under the bus without throwing himself under. Holder may be forced to resign tho. Corruption knows no bounds it seems.

Did you see this that was linked earlier on this thread?

Too bad to check: Project Gunrunner was funded by … the stimulus
posted at 9:30 pm on July 7, 2011 by Allahpundit

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Thanks again. I just hope this doesn’t avoid the Vote. If this Hearing was against the Bush Administration, I’m sure the Dems would not have even allowed Amendments.

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM

Rep. Welsh (Welch?), who offered the first amendment, has just clarified that his amendment, currently being debated, merely clarifies that the Oversight Committee didn’t interview AG Mukasey, something he thinks the entire House ought to know if this resolution is brought to it for a vote. But he states that it doesn’t prevent the Committee vote on the resolution.

No one can stop this vote except Holder.

And the amendment just failed.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

How much more jaw-boning do they have to do before they take the vote???…

PatriotRider on June 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Amendment failed, roll call vote wanted. Issa said they have 3 amendments pending and they will finish those and then vote on the Contempt order.

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

Well said MC. What many seem to forget is that Germany was the educated and advanced culture of its time. An economic collapse drove them to value personal peace and affluence over freedoms.
They are a reminder that education and an advanced society aren’t necessarily a bromide for tyranny.

chemman on June 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Issa just stated that 3 amendments are pending, and then there will be a vote on the resolution. If they’re all Dem amendments, they’ll be shot down after debate.

Next amendment up (introduced by Rep Lynch of MA 9) requires that Committee produce an accounting of costs incurred by the Committee investigating the Fast & Furious.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

(D) Massachusetts- Voters and tax payers need to know how much this investigation is costing the American people LOL!

How much is a Dead Border Agent “Brian Terry” worth? Countless dead Mexicans? That’s going to be some report.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:13 PM

I missed the link in the thread, but now that I looked at the post from last year, it sounds familiar. I probably read it at the time. Thanks for the reminder.

INC on June 20, 2012 at 3:18 PM

Can we amend the amendment to require the Committee produce an accounting of costs incurred by the Committee due to Holder’s Stonewalling?

weaselyone on June 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

We need an open thread.

txhsmom on June 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:16 PM

Dems suddenly concerned about government spending? Laughable.

Lost in Jersey on June 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Obama’s media hit man linked to Fast and Furious

A name that most Americans have probably never heard is Denis McDonough, who serves as Deputy National Security Adviser for the President. But McDonough is perhaps one of the two or three most influential advisers on the Obama team, and he is now directly linked to the Fast and Furious scandal.

SWalker on June 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

How much more jaw-boning do they have to do before they take the vote???…

PatriotRider on June 20, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Give Issa time. He’s a stickler for following the rules of Congress. He’s got Holder on the ropes and he knows it. The Dems can flail all they want, but Issa has it in the bag. The only thing that can wreck it is if the committee doesn’t find Holder in contempt.

At this point, I think it is highyly unlikely.

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Rep Stephen Lynch, Democrat – the cost for this investigation is staggering. Now the democrat’s are worried about tax payer money? That’s rich.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:17 PM

James Lankford (R-OK 5) just incisively made your point in reply to this “accounting amendment.”

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:20 PM

So Lynch (D- MA) is wanting an accounting of the cost of this Investigation????? Well, I’m sure it won’t be as much as the Fast & Furious. To wit:

For an additional amount for ‘‘State and Local Law Enforcement Assistance’’, $40,000,000, for competitive grants to provide assistance and equipment to local law enforcement along the Southern border and in High-Intensity Drug Trafficking Areas to combat criminal narcotics activity stemming from the Southern border, of which $10,000,000 shall be transferred to ‘‘Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, Salaries and Expenses’’ for the ATF Project Gunrunner.

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:08 PM

For one who is under 30, you are wise beyond your years.

Roderick Spode on June 20, 2012 at 3:21 PM

At this point, I think it is highyly unlikely.

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Very true. And congressmen understand political theater as much as the Administration. This ought to time out just before the evening news broadcasts.

Issa just made a nice point re the “accounting amendment”: Watergate costs a lot of money to investigate, too.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Issa is laying down the law right now.

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

libfreeordie on March 30, 2012 at 11:23 AM

Fortunately in Wisconsin we have a public teacher salary database, so we can dispense with nonsensical assertions as this.

We can also compare their salaries, to those of other public employees.

So we can ask why such large disparities exist in pay between faculty, administration, and custodial services despite the faculty’s daily preaching about income inequality.

jjrakman on June 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Wow. “False information from Phoenix”. Another Dem looking for a scapegoat.

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

I merel contend it has value. This, apparently, makes me an elitist.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 2:50 PM

“I’m not really a condescending, elitist, self-obsessed, hyper-liberal narcissist, I just play one on HotAir!”

Good Solid B-Plus on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

So the democrats are going to stonewall until the vote.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:23 PM

Gotta love Issa. The Dems weren’t interested in the cost until the Vote for Contempt was ready, LOL

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Somebody put a sock in Lynch’s mouth.

D-fusit on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

So the democrats are going to stonewall until the vote.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Kubuki(sp?) theater at its finest….

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Barack Obama, January 21, 2009:

“The way to make government responsible is to hold it accountable. The way to make government accountable is to make it transparent, so the American people can know exactly what decisions are being made, how they’re being well made, and whether their interests are being well served…For a long time now, there’s been too much secrecy in this city. The old rules said that if there was a defensible argument for not disclosing something to the American people, then it should not be disclosed. That era is now over, starting today.”

rayra on June 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

keder on twitter:
If we can afford to subsidize cowboy poetry, we can afford to investigate #fastandfurious

txhsmom on June 20, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Chaffetz is a f**king pit bull, going after Lynch like that.

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

We need an open thread.

txhsmom on June 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

There will probably be another post by AP later today after the vote with more wrapup info.

INC on June 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

At this point, I think it is highyly unlikely.

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Before the idiot Holder’s meeting with Issa, I would have said the chance of contempt passing Committee and the House was even. After the idiot Holder kicked them in the teeth yesterday, and little Bammie shat on them this morning, the contempt charge is certain.

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

Want to bet that the Dem committee members had lunch together with Holder?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Rep. Chaffetz (R-UT 3) directly dressing down Rep. Lynch (D-MA 9)…. normally one addresses the Chair… this is fun. Lynch claims he’s seen all the wiretap applications and finds nothing to implicate the AG or other DOJ higher-ups. Chaffetz replies that Lynch hasn’t seen all the documents, that’s the whole point of finding Holder in contempt. No one’s seen all the documents.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Off topic a bit, but we lost a big one in the Senate today:

Today, June 20th, the U.S. Senate has voted down Senator James Inhofe’s S.J. Res. 37, a resolution that would have prevented the Environmental Protection Agency from implementing “Utility MACT” the most economically devastating regulation in its 42-year history.

Now left unchecked, Utility MACT is already causing coal plants around the country to consider closing their doors, and will prevent new plants from being built. This reduction in energy production will cause an increase in energy costs for all Americans, particularly in states that derive much of their energy from coal. Reduced demand for coal will also cause great harm to America’s many coal-mining communities, increasing unemployment and preventing the creation of future jobs in the coal industry.

The vote was close, but the resolution failed, 46-53. Five Democrats from coal-rich states voted with the Republicans in support of the resolution, but unfortunately five Republicans provided the fatal votes against it.

The five Republicans who voted against stopping Utility MACT are:

•Lamar Alexander (Tennessee) (202) 224-4944
•Kelly Ayotte (New Hampshire) (202) 224-3324
•Scott Brown (Massachusetts) (202) 224-4543
•Susan Collins (Maine) (202) 224-2523
•Olympia Snowe (Maine) (202) 224-5344

I am happy to say that both my Senators (1D, 1R) voted in favor.

weaselyone on June 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

For the final time I’ll point out that you all ask *me* about my work and career, I do not volunteer it unsolicited.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Trust me, you all do not even see the slightest sliver of my writing abilities. I craft prose for a living. Deal.

libfreeordie on April 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I say that as someone who *gives* lectures for a living.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

rogerb on June 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

That’s why I said earlier that Bammie had put the flash in the pan and blew a hole in the bottom of his rowboat with his own musket… some people should never play with big guns.

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Cummings: “We care about Brian Terry’s murder.”

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Executive privilege in this case with fail epically. Now the media will have to cover it.

dogsoldier on June 20, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Chaffetz is a f**king pit bull, going after Lynch like that.

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:27 PM

He surely is. He didn’t get that curly hair for nothing:-)

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Cummings: “We need better gun laws.” Wow.

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

But in terms of this being important national news? Sorry.

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Since you are bored by this and you think it’s not news, your only reason to stay is to be an a$$hole. I wish Hot Air would put the commenters name at the top instead of the bottom of the posts so I could avoid reading the first five words of your posts before I realize it is your usual crap and scroll by.

Night Owl on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I say that as someone who *gives* lectures for a living.

libfreeordie on June 14, 2012 at 9:06 PM

rogerb on June 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Roger, you are my hero.

Chuck Schick on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Rep Elijah Cummings you might get answers if Eric Holder responded to the congressional subpoena.

No the AG is not working in good faith or else he would just produce the documents to the committee. IT’s that freaking simple.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Elijah Cummings, to his credit, has been pretty good with his arguments. No bald-faced lies, no skewing to gun control demagoguery, no personal attacking of his opponents.

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

rogerb on June 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Q: What do you call a failed novelist?

A: Professor.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Cummings: “We need better gun laws.” Wow.

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Yeah, I caught that as well…but at least that’s the only thing he said about it, as opposed to some of his colleagues.

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Issa has the patience of Job, but I think they are getting on his last nerve.

All the Dems are doing is talking about the past and ignoring why they are even here. They just can’t take it that they can’t turn this onto
Bush.Another Amendment down by vote, good.

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Not only that but the Mexican Government tells us we need better gun laws, with all due respect to the friends from the south but, clean up your own mess before telling us what we need, m’kay.

D-fusit on June 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Baloney Maloney stalling by offering an amendment.

SWalker on June 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

What are these people going to do when the Committee starts talking about all of the dead Mexicans?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:34 PM

Re ‘what else do we need to know’, the committee has principally investigated the Arizona F&F operation. Little is yet known about the Texas or Florida F&F operation, and possibly one in Virginia, and another involving Honduras.

The Honduras connection is interesting because it may tie into little Bammie’s severe C/F regarding his opposition to the ouster of President Zelaya. That was little Bammie’s first foreign policy blunder.

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Q: What do you call a failed novelist?

A: Professor.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Ack! And I’m writing a novel now! Thank God I have another FULL time job!

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Rep. Maloney up again. I’m convinced. Douse her with water and she’d melt.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Honey, if there’s a military coup, your little assault rifle is not going to help you…

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Young people knew the war in Vietnam was a failure long before older, stubborn leaders realized it. The same can be said for Iraq and Afghanistan.

libfreeordie on May 13, 2012 at 7:08 AM

rogerb on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Maloney the buck doesn’t stop with Eric Holder.

We need to find a scapegoat, where is the head of ATF at the time of the Fast and Furious operation? He would make a great scapegoat.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Q: What do you call a failed novelist?

A: Professor.

Good Solid B-Plus on June 20, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Hey, wait a second! I’m not a professor!

CurtZHP on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Night Owl on June 20, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Amen! I’m skipping his responses to anything today–he’s harshing my mellow.

txhsmom on June 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Rep. Maloney up again. I’m convinced. Douse her with water and she’d melt.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Probably steam, ala hot turd…

hillsoftx on June 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

The whole world is watching.

It’s not the nature of the evidence it’s the seriousness of the charges.

Pay no attention to that manchild behind the curtain!

viking01 on June 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Exactly what I was thinking.

D-fusit on June 20, 2012 at 3:37 PM

Just for fun…

… Close your eyes and picture Maloney squating over a mirror while she writes a letter to her genitals.

Fun, isn’t it…?

What?

Seven Percent Solution on June 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Christ, could this woman talk any more slowly?

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

weaselyone on June 20, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Thank you. The foolishness of this vote is mind-boggling.

INC on June 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Seven Percent Solution on June 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Oh dude! That’s just wrong! *pounding head on keyboard* I’ll never get that image out of my head now!

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM

What?

Seven Percent Solution on June 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

As disgusting as that thought is, sadly her letter to her genitalia would make more sense and be honester than the BS she is spouting now.

SWalker on June 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Okay, Issa…tell her to wrap it up, already.

Whoop. He heard me. Lolz.

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM

libfreeordie on April 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I highly doubt that is true. Even if your real writing abilities were 100X better than what is displayed here, they would remain pretty dismal.

Monkeytoe on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

You wonder how someone from NYC (Manhattan) could look as off-putting as Rep. Maloney. Then I remember Bella Abzug.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Quite a change in tactics from this morning? This morning – it was Bush. This afternoon – it was the ATF in Phoenix. Will the news media descend on Phoenix tomorrow?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Will the news media descend on Phoenix tomorrow?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

It should. And then follow right up the chain of command.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Monkeytoe on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I’m fairly sure professors frequently say “deal” and “#lampshade”.

rogerb on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

A good piece on executive privilege:

Obama Invokes Executive Privilege

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

Maloney thinks everyone is stupid…see it’s just like Abu Gahrib, it was all the “Indians” that were guilty. The “Chiefs” were not involved so the people we be targeting are the people who have no power, and can make no decisions just the peons, that follow orders, it was just some agents that went renegade in Phoenix ATF office, yeah that’s the ticket.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Lynch is a rat. He just intentionally attempted to conflate Wide Receiver and Fast and Furious…again. Utterly despicable.

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

About 30 minutes ago:

CBS News has learned the family of ICE Agent Jamie Zapata has filed a claim against DOJ and federal agencies for wrongful death

INC on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

slickwillie2001 on June 20, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Wonder if Issa will ever get to any of this?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

libfreeordie on April 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Oh, we see a sliver of your “writing abilities”; more like a loaf.

viking01 on June 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Will the news media descend on Phoenix tomorrow?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:40 PM

It should. And then follow right up the chain of command.

de rigueur on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

You caught it too. Maloney is an offensive piece of work.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

That jackass Linch just exposed his ignorance of fundamental facts regarding the events, not aware of the role played by former acting BATFE head Melson.

novaculus on June 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

libfreeordie on June 20, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Depends on what you mean by “acadamia”. Do you mean Physics? Or do you mean English Lit, Womyn’s studies, Political Science, Afro-American Studies or one of the countless gut majors?

Even in acadamia, there is a hierarchy of what is considered a real discipline requiring true intellect, hard work, and quality research and what is more or less, a joke.

And, even among the disciplines that are considered real, there is a hierarchy based on where you are actually engaged in such academic pursuits. With the number of collages extent in America today, even the dimmest bulb can usually gain tenure somewhere.

Regardless, even if you were an astrophysicist, it wouldn’t make your arguments any more logical. Your arguments are what they are, regardless of your background.

Monkeytoe on June 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

Norton: “The public doesn’t understand.” My God.

I’ve got to say, I’ve never watched one of these hearings before. This is the level of intellect on the left? And we get beat by these people?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Oh, we see a sliver of your “writing abilities”; more like a loaf.

viking01 on June 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

You just can’t write pro-level alliteration like “slightest sliver” without a PhD, man!

Good Solid B-Plus on June 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM

rogerb on June 20, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I think you are libfreeordie’s worst nightmare, LOL

Great work on your part!!

bluefox on June 20, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Eleanor Holmes Norton is out to lunch…it means nothing to anyone watching this talking about the number of documents.

Maybe they don’t get it in your district but trust me everyone outside of your district in D.C. are getting the difference between being given 8,000. documents compared to 140,000.

This doesn’t have anything to do with wide receiver. Obviously you missed Eric Holder’s meme that he detracted his claim that this had anything to do with Bush.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Norton: “The public doesn’t understand.” My God.

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I’m sorry. What happened in 2010 again? I must be on the wrong planet… ;)

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I’m fairly sure professors frequently say “deal” and “#lampshade”.

rogerb on June 20, 2012 at 3:42 PM

In all fairness, the way one writes in the comments section of a blog isn’t necessarily the way one writes for work.

Regardless, if you ever have a chance to read what passes for scholarship in many disciplines and at many schools, you would not be surprised to find such language.

Monkeytoe on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

Another lib who can say nothing other than “Isn’t there someone other than Obama or Holder that we can blame? Can’t we spread the blame around a bit?”

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I’m sorry. What happened in 2010 again? I must be on the wrong planet… ;)

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM

You are right. But how do we ever get beat by these people?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Norton: “The public doesn’t understand.” My God.

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Look at who votes for them they “give them free stuff” that’s all they care about.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

You are right. But how do we ever get beat by these people?

oldroy on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I voted for Shuler in 2008, but I corrected for it in 2010? But dayumed if he didn’t win anyway….

Turtle317 on June 20, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Have they voted yet? Can’t get to a tv…

weaselyone on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

MadisonConservative on June 20, 2012 at 3:49 PM

They are looking for a scapegoat- head of ATF at the time, and they are trying to muddy the waters by mentioning “Wide Receiver”. They are a poor caliber of politicians. This is what Obama and Holder are counting on to pull their bacon out of the fire? Good luck with that Mr AG hope you got a plan B.

Dr Evil on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Have they voted yet? Can’t get to a tv…

weaselyone on June 20, 2012 at 3:51 PM

No, the Marxist on the committee are stalling as hard as they can.

SWalker on June 20, 2012 at 3:53 PM