So, is the VP race down to Portman and Pawlenty? Update: Fewer women considered due to media’s Palin scrutiny?

posted at 4:02 pm on June 19, 2012 by Allahpundit

WaPo follows up on this morning’s bombshell about the non-vetting of Rubio by confirming that (a) indeed, he’s not being vetted at the moment and (b) the two safest picks in the field are.

Other vice presidential candidates, including Sen. Rob Portman (Ohio) and former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty, are undergoing a more intensive review, according to two Republicans close to the campaign…

“By the time you apply the gravitas test, which is really 95 percent of what Governor Romney’s looking at — people when introduced to America nobody would think twice about their ability to be president if necessary — that wipes out 90 percent of the field,” said one outside adviser close to the Romney operation who requested anonymity to speak candidly about the selection process.

The adviser said other Republicans once presumed to be contenders, including Sen. Kelly Ayotte (N.H.) and New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez, fall under this same category. More-experienced candidates said to be under consideration include Rep. Paul Ryan, the House Budget Committee chairman, as well as Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal.

If Rubio’s too young and too unseasoned, does that mean Christie is too? He’s nine years older than Rubio and holds an executive position but has spent less time in political office than even Rubio has if you include the latter’s tenure in the state legislature. Mitch Daniels is presumably also out since he’s reportedly set to be named the next president of Purdue. So, it seems, is Bob McDonnell, who wasn’t being vetted either as of three weeks ago. What about Paul Ryan? He was coy when asked about this in May and he’s part of Romney’s bus tour featuring a cavalcade of would-be VPs, but he’s also just a year older than Rubio and has no executive experience. What’s the logic at this point for picking him and embracing an all-out “Mediscare” campaign from Democrats when he could go with the far safer/blander Portman or Pawlenty instead? It would excite the base, but Romney’s not worried about the base anymore. If he was, he wouldn’t be dodging questions over whether he’ll rescind Obama’s new DREAM order if elected. In fact, I think the people who see skittishness over immigration in Romney’s decision to pass on Rubio are right: If he picks him or Ryan as VP, then to some extent the election will be about something other than the economy. That’s precisely what Romney’s trying to avoid; it’s Obama who wants a “choice” election, not the GOP.

That leaves Portman, Pawlenty, and maybe Jindal, who does have executive experience, would add diversity to the ticket, and would certainly fire up the base. But Jindal endorsed Perry in the primaries and he’s the same age as Rubio. He’d be an inspired choice but not as safe as Portman or Pawlenty, and if there’s one thing we know about Mitt, he prefers safe to inspired. So that leaves two: The Bush alum from the key swing state or the guy who was vetted four years ago from the unwinnable blue state. I thought Portman was a prohibitive favorite and I still think there’s probably a 75 percent chance that he gets it, but as more polls come out showing how many voters still blame Bush for the economy, Team Mitt must be wondering whether Portman’s record as Bush’s budget chief will become a major liability on their key issue. If it’s true that Romney’s VP credo is “first do no harm,” then Pawlenty really should have the edge. The most damaging soundbite he’s had in the last few years is the one about “ObamneyCare” and I doubt you’ll see Team O want to focus on that.

Exit question: Why would any Republican want to leak the fact that Rubio’s not even being seriously considered for VP, especially at a moment when Obama’s just made a splash with Latino voters via his new DREAM policy? It’s one thing not to choose the guy, it’s another thing to signal that he’s not even worthy of consideration. And no, this isn’t about Romney trying to completely distance himself from Rubio because of the politics of DREAM: Remember, after O made his announcement on Friday, Romney specifically mentioned Rubio in his response. He’s a bona fide conservative rock star with a national future. Why not pay him the minimum respect of vetting him? Or are Ana Navarro and Ben Domenech right in thinking that this is really about the Charlie Crist alums in Romney’s campaign wanting a little payback for what Rubio did to their guy in 2010?

Update: Depressing.

In particular, few women except for New Hampshire Sen. Kelly Ayotte – a freshman lawmaker from New England with only scant federal experience – are thought to be under consideration by Romney.

“I think unfortunately, Palin poisoned the well on that,” said one informal Romney adviser, fretting that any woman selected as VP would draw inevitable comparisons to the former Alaska governor. “I would guess if I were inside the Romney mind that they’re worried that any woman chosen will be subjected to a higher level of scrutiny.”

Update: Note that that last quote comes from an “informal advisor” to the campaign, not any of the inner circle, so who knows how much of it is pure speculation versus informed speculation derived from chatting with key players. In fairness to Mitt, there aren’t many woman officeholders who fit his criteria this time around. Ayotte and Martinez are both promising but both new to their current offices. They’d be stronger picks in 2016 than they are now.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 3 4 5 6

Romney says Rubio is being vetted for VP

But Romney will be on Hannity saying only two people know. Him and the lady who is in charge of the vetting. Didn’t catch her name.

davidk on June 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Attention Palinistas: Lourdes does not hate Palin just because he/she does not worship at her altar. Same goes for me. Savvy?

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

And I don’t hate Romney just because I think he’s an unelectable squish who’s going to get hammered in November.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

I am still betting that Romney will pick DeMint.

There is a reason why nobody is talking about that possibility. And why DeMint never criticized Romney

OrthodoxJew on June 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Every time you plaster insults, an angel loses it’s wings.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Every time you abuse bath salts an innocent man loses his face. And pants.

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM

There ya’ go again. Putting a negative out there.

Since the only bath salts I even know about are ones from “AHAVA” (“Mineral Bath Salts”) and another one from “BATHEERAPHY” called “Natual Mineral Bath” (they all contain sodium and sulfates of several kinds so I assume they’d qualify as “bath salts”) and these all go into bath water in which I and my loved ones soak when we want/can, I can’t imagine any of these materials being “abused” except if someone hoarded them all and the rest of us were left without an option to relax with some of them in a bath.

I don’t use drugs but you’re welcome to do to your innards whatever you fancy you want to. I live in a sober household.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

davidk on June 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Buzzfeed says he is too

scalleywag on June 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I am still betting that Romney will pick DeMint.

OrthodoxJew on June 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

Hmmmm….

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:15 PM

Now this just makes me shake my head.

Jindal has been governor of Louisiana longer than Romeny was Governor of Massachusetts or Tim Pawlenty was in Minnesota. He’s been a Congressman, a businessman, and a parent. He was an all star academic, graduating from Brown (where, in addition to admission as an undergraduate, he was also offered guaranteed admission to Brown’s medical school right out of high school!). He finished college two years early and was off to Oxford as a Rhodes scholar.

Jindal has been an exceptional governor of a famously tough state to run, and a great surrogate on the campaign trail. He’s the very definition of the right choice for VP. The right age; the right experience; the right politics.

If Romney is going to festoon his administration with people like Mike Leavitt, then he almost has to put a prominent conservative into the Veep slot. Jindal would be a great choice.

MTF on June 19, 2012 at 5:35 PM

From what I know of Jindal, I’d be very happy with him in the VP slot.

As a Minnesotan who saw Pawlenty up close, I’ll say that I wouldn’t be very happy if he is chosen – he’s a whiny, weaselly weenie!

Bizarro No. 1 on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Mitt says Rubio is being thoroughly vetted for veep. Just on Fox.

Philly on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

Actually, Lourdes does hate Palin, and more specifically, she hates people who defend Palin. We’ve had arguments going back years. You aren’t like her.

(As she is certifiably insane, btw, I wouldn’t lump myself in with her if I were you. I should find you some of her choicer rants…)

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

And, every.single.time there’s a post here about Romney, you Palin people show up and promote Palin and all the rest you’re suggesting, like “don’t vote for the GOP” and similar. You seem to feed on hate.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM

I thought you were leaving and we were getting this thread to ourselves?

But to the point – you really don’t pay much attention, do you? I’m a hardcore Palinista, but I have also been getting into “discussions” with the Ron Paul people actually defending Romney. There are many of us who are Palin supporters who have been defending Romney against the non-Romney people and have said that they will vote Romney.

Now your ignorance to that and the fact that you clearly haven’t been paying attention is up to you, but keep it to yourself and do try not to smear everyone like a monkey flinging crap around.

Thanks.

PS: to ALT – thank you – I have attempted to be fair to all candidates and will support Romney now that he is the candidate regardless of who my initial support went to. I think most of us can agree on that – that we have to stand behind the nominee because the alternative is worse regardless of what we think of Romney’s conservatism or lack thereof (depending on who you talk to).

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Right on the money. +1

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 6:03 PM

All it takes is the mention of you kmow who, and the crazies are out in force to vent some of their (otherwise unrelated) frustrations and to remind us that Romney is not a conservative and they are not voting for him :)…dunno, but repetition is boring, to me st least…as for the lady in question, I’m rather indifferent, or to put it differently, I don’t feel any passion either way…I think Lourdes nailed it…

jimver on June 19, 2012 at 6:17 PM

Looks like Rubio is out. Big mistake! We already have a boring no. 1. We shouldn’t compound it with an equally boring number two.

MaiDee on June 19, 2012 at 6:10 PM

Do you think Romney’s going to pick someone who’ll draw bigger crowds than he can, the way Palin overshadowed McCain in 2008? No way. I think Portman or McDonnell. Maybe Pawlenty, he’s not particularly exciting either.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

Bullhockey. McMorris Rodgers is a solid choice regardless of gender: conservative, long record, no funny business in her past. She’s being ignored just because she’s female.

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 5:49 PM

McMorris Rodgers and Paul Ryan are the only members of the Congress being considered, according to multiple reports. A quite remarkable feat for any of them, considering how historically rare is to see members of the House being picked or even considered for the spot.

Yes, I know and I wrote as much a while ago, too, before Jindal made several public speeches in which he insisted he was happy as Governor of Louisiana, that he “has the job he wants now” as Governor.

So I stopped pushing Jindal as V.P. out of respect for his wishes. He seems sincere in saying he doesn’t want to make that move, so I’ve tried to respect it.

I agree he’d be a great V.P. I admire his values and intelligence.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

What were you expecting him to say? That he hates his job and would love to get on a national ticket?

Every politician offers that sort of platitudes. Here are Jindal’s last statements on the issue:

“I look forward to supporting Gov. Romney in whoever he selects for VP — I’m not going to speculate on that — I do have the job that I want,” Jindal said at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Chicago.

“This may be the most important election of our lifetime. I know that gets said a lot, but it really is true this election cycle. We can’t afford another four more years of President Obama.”

Read more on Newsmax.com: Jindal to Newsmax: Whether I’m VP or not, Romney’s the Man

Hardly a Shermanesque statement.

Martinez was arguably the only potential pick whose statements were strong enough to express she’s really not interested in the job.

joana on June 19, 2012 at 6:18 PM

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Just look for that 2000+ post QOTD from last year. She was up at least 30 hours straight posting about nothing.

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Romney says Rubio is being vetted for VP

davidk on June 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

OBVIOUSLY, Romney and adviser are going to be “vetting” or examining just about everyone who’s available and then narrowing it down from there. That’d include Rubio, obviously, but it doesn’t mean, therefore, that he’s in the finalists (maybe he is, maybe not, my preferences are that he isn’t but I’m not Romney)…

Rubio’s looking quite naive at this hour what with his absolute declaration earlier that he’s “absolutely…false” not being “vetted.”

I mean, look closely at everyone, that’s the strategy. Select two, discuss, ask one, discuss more: select.

How it works.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I can understand why a liberal would vote for Romney, but why should an actual conservative voter vote FOR Romney?

Especially given his record in MA, his support of gun control, bailouts, abortion, cap&trade, ethanol subsidies, his continued support of healthcare mandates(tyranny), his endless lying about his record and flip-flopping on every issue.

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Because he’s not Obama and another four years of Obama unencumbered would be a disaster. Even if he was somewhat neutered with a R congress and senate, we’ve seen what he thinks of that and the damage he can do on the world stage is immeasurable (look at today with Putin).

Plus there’s the SCOTUS nominees and you think a Romney pick would be worse than an Obama pick?

How’s that for a quick couple of reasons?

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

That’s right, you also hate him because you are a hateful person at heart, which goes right along with that scrambled brain of yours! :)

Bizarro No. 1 on June 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Well, that would be #2, actually, which blunts the impact of the remainder of them.

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 5:59 PM

So because women/minorities vote Democrat, the Democrats think they own them, so they will push hard on a Republican woman/minority candidate, so Republicans should never nominate a woman/minority, so as to leave the voting pattern undisturbed. Sounds foolish to me.

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I’m hoping for Christie, Ryan, Rubio or Jindal in that order.

MJBrutus on June 19, 2012 at 6:22 PM

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Its’ that crud that you all post that makes people cross the street to avoid “Palinistas.” And turn the channel when Palin is on commenting about whatever.

Obviously, “alwaysfiredup” has grave mental problems. No actually sane person would ever presume to write what that account does.

And I’m not the one here who is recklessly accusing other users of a variety of opinions as you are with “abusing bath salts.”

I’m fine with my sanity. And as to being awake for “30 hours straight,” some of us have energy, Bill. It’s hardly unusual for me to be awake and occupied for those hours and it certainly isn’t an indication of someone’s abnormality to be somewhat offended by the Palinista insults that are, to put it mildly, way beyond tolerable or acceptable.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on June 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

I’m sooooo hateful…because I predicted (correctly) that Rick Perry would flop, that Bachmann would be a flash in the pan and not last til South Carolina, that Herman Cain was likewise a blip — in short I’ve said over and over for the past 2 or 3 years that if Palin didn’t run Romney would be the nominee and LOSE.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Bizarro No. 1 on June 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Yea, anyone who doesn’t care for Romney is a hateful person…

Bizarro indeed..:)

idesign on June 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Nevermind this. Are we going to see an Eric Holder perp walk??

Anyone heard whether he coughed up the documents??

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

How’s that for a quick couple of reasons?

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Those aren’t reasons to vote FOR Romney though, just reasons not to vote FOR Obama. I can stay home and not vote for either. Why should a conservative vote FOR Romney, given his record? Where has he ever pushed a conservative policy beyond empty rhetoric?

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 5:57 PM

Of course not, wasn’t expecting such.

Jindal seems to be a sincere man, I respect that about him, he’s been insistent and seems quite sincere in his statements. Which is why I’d prefer him as V.P. But respecting his views doesn’t mean insisting on him or anyone that which runs contrary to their statements and goals.

He’d make an excellent V.P. but he says he “has the job (he) wants” as Governor of Louisiana, so I take him at his word.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

This coming from someone who sat in here for 32 hours straight going on about Palin’s “poofy” hairdo? LOL

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:28 PM

cnn just showed a clip that mitt admitted that rubio is being thoroughly vetted…hmmmmm

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Anyone heard whether he coughed up the documents??

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

they are going forward with the contempt…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

How it works.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I have to agree with you here, if Romney is “thoroughly vetting” Rubio , rubio has been lying and for no reason.

the_nile on June 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM

her choicer rants…)

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 6:16 PM

You’d define anything that “dares to” counter or disagree with you or worse, “fail to” indulge you as “rants”.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

I can’t really answer your question because I’m working on the premise that he’s not Obama and that’s more than enough for me. I honestly don’t care about “conservative policy” at this point as that’s something that can be dealt with later.

I’d like to think that he’d do better on foreign affairs and not leave our allies in the lurch or in Pakistani prisons. I’d like to think that he’d pick a good SCOTUS pick, at least better than the previous two picks.

I figure that a vote for Romney just gets us that much further away from Obama. Plus, the bigger the win (if that happens), the more demoralizing for the democrats and what conservative wouldn’t like to see that?

How about you vote for Romney because that will give us another four years for conservatives to get their act together and maybe clean up the GOP or start a viable third party. That can’t be done with Obama in office as that will take all our focus.

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:19 PM

the_nile on June 19, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Well, that, or he’s unaware and that means he’s really more out of touch than even I wondered recently.

But, you know, since he’s selling his book at this point, it’d be a marketing depresser of him/his book if he was known as the likely or the V.P. So he has “marketing” incentives at present time to insist he’s not.

I dunno, all told, though, he’s not looking too appealing now.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Romney has to find someone that the true conservatives can get behind. He needs us to win this election, and he can’t do it with someone like Tim Pawlenty. Pawlenty on the ticket will assure another 4 years of obama and our country gone as we knew it.

Portman, is not known outside of Ohio–good luck with that. Romney better be looking at a good conservative. I hadn’t heard anyone say Jim DeMint until reading these comments–like that idea much.

Romney, Rubio would be the perfect ticket!

cpasherry on June 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Yea, anyone who doesn’t care for Romney is a hateful person…

Bizarro indeed..:)

idesign on June 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

Yeah, that’s pretty much it. If you’re a prominent Romney naysayer and not a Red Team cheerleader, you’re a h8r!!!!!!!

By the way, I don’t think there’s any way Romney would choose Jindal. Too many would start saying that the ticket is upside down.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

PERP WALK! Thanks for the info. ;) Will have to check in later.

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Anyone heard whether he coughed up the documents??

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:26 PM

they are going forward with the contempt…

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Good, what cmsinaz wrote.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

You can’t clean up the GOP if you willingly drop your principles in the trash, every time the GOP asks you to vote for another slightly-better-than-Democrat Rino nominee. They just assume you’ll always do what they tell you to do, and otherwise ignore you. The GOP will never respect conservatives until conservatives stop voting for Rinos. 2012 is as good a place to start as any. It’s not like the GOP will let us primary Romney in 2016, anyway.

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

Democrats were demoralized as hell after 2000 and 2004. Where are we now? That rah rah Red Team crap is what is killing us. Nothing ever really changes.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 6:33 PM

anytime

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:34 PM

now let’s see what actually happens

they are talking about this right now on the all star panel

cmsinaz on June 19, 2012 at 6:39 PM

I dunno, all told, though, he’s not looking too appealing now.

Lourdes on June 19, 2012 at 6:32 PM

They dont “thoroughly vett” someone who dont want to, this isn’t oppo. So he has to know and accepted this late if he’s on the list.

I would say it sells more of his books if he’s a potential VP.

the_nile on June 19, 2012 at 6:40 PM

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Bingo. B-b-b-b-but they’re going to hold Romney’s feet to the fire…by promising not to vote for him in 2016 and they’re REALLY going to mean it then! LOL Riiiiiiight. At least until we get more of the “you’re helping the commies and tearing apart the GOP just for the sake of ‘purity’!!!!”

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

My top favorites still are Jindal, Portman, Kasich in that order. The GOP Senate are mostly total doofi, but Portman makes the most sense when you combine he helps the Battle of Ohio plus proven ability, and he doesnt get rattled by lefty media.

Jindal would be electrifying though, and India would go nuts. Closer strategic, economic & cultural friendship ties are just what our two great and powerful countries need right now. Jindal would deliver that with substance and style.

That plus his many-times proven brainiac skills at everything he’s ever done, and the fact that he too is no shrinking violet in the presence of an Andrea Mitchell Chris Matthews or other left wing media nutter.

My second Senate choice is a tie in a “Pluck an experienced & well-regarded but relatively-anonymous public servants out of the blue” pick: Senators Johanns and Sessions.

My rino wildcard which I’ll prolly take heat for but dont care: Rudy. Yes he’s a walking oppo research book and he has 4 of the 5 families on speed dial. But America saw his exemplary leadership and crisis communications skills up close and at length in 2001, two qualities the country generally and the next administration in particular will want and need.

Rudy may be a step slower than he was in 2001 though, so ultimately hes a heart pick not a brain pick. I reckon he’d make a drastic improvement over the current DHS Sec though.

My National Security choice is Gen Petreaus.

Sacramento on June 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM

It’s not like the GOP will let us primary Romney in 2016, anyway.

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

‘zactly.

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 6:47 PM

ddrintn

Romney could choose a cigar store wooden Indian and it would outshine him in a personality contest. My only concern is to beat what I consider to be our first truly socialistic, American-hating president who unfortunately is glib and slick. Portman and Pawlenty are great choices but not to win an election with dumbed down American voters whose brains have turned to porridge by listening and watching the MSM and unionized liberal school teachers. To beat this slick charlatan, we have to have at least one candidate that the brain dead voters can relate to.

MaiDee on June 19, 2012 at 6:49 PM

I doubt the problem for female candidates is that Palin poisoned the well.

The potential choices have weaknesses.
Martinez was just elected as the Governor of a small state. Her experience as prosecutor was also quite local.
Ayotte was just elected to the Senate. Her experience as prosecutor doesn’t qualify her for national office.
Blackburn and McMorris Rodgers have never been elected to statewide office. Both make it easier for Obama to run against a Republican Congress.
Rice has never held elected office, was a major player in the Bush administration and is Pro-Choice.

Fallin seems to have an okay resume, but there’s no indication she’s ready for a national campaign.

Mister Mets on June 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM

For all the BS here about fanatical Mittbots I’m in the same camp as the poster from Missouri. Never met one, and haven’t seen any here (Buy Danish doesn’t cut it).

The only one in the media seems to be Medved, who is as foaming at the mouth about Mitt as any rabid Palinista.

But he’s a rabid RINO.

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

So Palin poisoned the well by getting higher scrutiny, and the future actions of the media are her fault too?

Damn, is she the new Bush, responsible for all the ills of the world?

How about we blame the media for the actions of the media… novel I know; but lets give it a try. They’ve decided they’ll attack a conservative female VP candidate more strenuously; why don’t they shoulder the blame for their actions?

gekkobear on June 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM

My rationale for Petreaus includes but isnt limited to the 1-2 punch idea of Gov Romney mostly staying home to untangle the economic mess and get the gubment out of the way of growth, then turn Petreaus loose on AF2 to fly all over the world non-stop for the next 4 years kicking ass and taking names with only a 2-year supply of paper and pens.

Sacramento on June 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM

why don’t they shoulder the blame for their actions?

gekkobear on June 19, 2012 at 6:52 PM

Because everyone would rather trash Palin, it’s a cultural touchstone.

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Probably true. It’s less about Mitt than about Red Team cheerleading and shoving the rubes’ noses in the shit.

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

They’d have preferred Christie anyway, just like Coulter. Mitt’s second rate, even among his strongest supporters.

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Good ol’ Romneybots, still looking for just the right combination of insults to get the Palinistas and Perry-Bachmanites they trashed back on board for the big one.

SurferDoc on June 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM

Looks like the fire may be dying back just a bit. Here throw this on.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 6:58 PM

how does rob portman get put at the top of these lists? he is a 2 yr senator, not a governor. seems like choosing a governor who has recently balanced a budget without raising taxes while lowering unemployment will prove that conservative ideas work. i think mitt will choose a governor with a proven record. if rubio and christie are too unproven, so is portman.

phillysfinest on June 19, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Portman had impressive credentials before he became a Senator.

This is about the lamest attack line ever concocted by Mittbots.

Romney could easily shore up conservative support by doing two simple things:

1. Pick a conservative VP (NOT Portman or Pawlenty)
2. Start attacking marxist policies set by Obama (i.e. amnesty for illegal youths).

If Romney refuses to do that, and then loses in the fall, it is entirely his fault.

Norwegian on June 19, 2012 at 5:04 PM

What does Obama’s immigration policy have to do with socialism?

Mister Mets on June 19, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I’m surprised many are surprised by this.

But anyway, it wont matter who romney picks. The guy is a loser.

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Norm Coleman was never a governor and there’s a good reason your list of circus clowns isn’t being discussed.

bw222 on June 19, 2012 at 4:43 PM

Yeah, meant to write “Mayor of St. Paul.” Whatever. I’m not advocating for any of them. I’m just trying to think of some possibilities that no one’s been discussing.

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 7:07 PM

Trial balloon much?

SouthernGent on June 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Haven’t read any of the comments, yet, but anyone they compare to Palin will be found wanting.

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:54 PM

Suspect for a lot of people it’s about having lived through the epic disaster of the current regime and thinking the alternative, and there is only one alternative, simply cannot be worse.

I don’t think anyone here aside from Libfree would argue that another four years of Dogeater would possibly turn out well.

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM

A stroll down memory lane:

Yes, the head poof, that hair bump she plumps on top her head, somewhat unreasonably. It’s weird, not like you see many people walking around with that head-poof thing except among Puerto Ricans in New York and a few ladies in New Jersey.

Certainly not “envious” of her hair poof, wouldn’t wear such a thing, anywhere.

Any other explanations about what everyone is supposedly “envious” about as to Palin?

Lourdes on June 21, 2011 at 9:22 AM

The poof-thing atop Palin’s head, that poof thing she creates with her hair atop her head, I’ve only ever seen that worn by a few ladies in the Northeast from Puerto Rico and a few others from New Jersey (“Snooky” on Jersey Shore wears that poof thing with her hair, for example, as do others in that area of Italian and Puerto Rican heritage).

Someone falsely alleges that I and others are somehow “envious” of Palin and I asked == numerous times now == for an explanation or substantiation of that allegation: how and upon what could anyone be “envious” of Palin if what they’re alleging is true.

Silence, no response, no explanation, nothing to substantiate that allegation, so, again, it’s a lie.

The poof thing on Palin’s head, I asked if that was reason in their minds for anyone to be “envious” of her among other things I suggested they try to address (give me an example of why and about what anyone’s “envious” of Palin, the hair-poof, the what, name it, no one has). In which case, no, not envious.

Lourdes on June 21, 2011 at 11:28 AM

I have eyes, I can see my hair, I can see other people’s hair.

Lourdes on June 21, 2011 at 11:42 AM

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Trial balloon much?
SouthernGent on June 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I doubt it but we’re all biased

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 7:19 PM

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM

It depends what you want out of the next four years. I believe that the GOP will take the Senate and hold the House. This puts Obumbles under a huge amount of pressure that he didn’t face in his first term. As we’ve all seen, he buckles under pressure. So we have the spectacle of an un-President to look forward too. Plus control of both houses means we get the committee chairmanships back, and assuming the GOP requires chairpeople to be at least sort of dedicated to the principles of the party (i.e., don’t just give them out for time served), we control the agenda, not Obumbles. Finally, control of Congress with an Obama presidency also gives the GOP the chance to uncover Obumbles’ scandals, and a Romney presidency would not. To the extent I think it is healthy for the country and the party to reveal the bad acting, this is not a net negative scenario.

Also considering I believe Romney will be even less conservative in office than GWB was, and that he will destroy the conservative grassroots movement we’ve worked so hard since 2009 to build, I don’t see much difference overall in who wins between Obumbles and Romney. They’re both bad for the things I care about. ymmv.

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

*cough* Nicolle *cough* Wallace

SouthernGent on June 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

There isnt much of a chance for romney to win anyway. Just an overturned o care is fine for me

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Update! On Special Report they had Gov. Romney at a campaign event saying Sen. Rubio is being vetted.

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Points noted.

Note these: EOs and SC nominations. The latter should really interest people because in the next 4 years the President could tip the balance heavily one way or the other.

Yeah, it’s a shit sandwich.

CorporatePiggy on June 19, 2012 at 7:28 PM

Rubio’s a “world citizen” who thinks America is the property of the world and that people have the right to break laws and invade sovereign nations on their whims and then must be catered to.

He’s not too young and he’s not too unseasoned. He’s too stupid and anti-American – and he loves him some nice Marxism – “spread the wealth, America!!”

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 4:19 PM

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 7:34 PM

Cindy Munford on June 19, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Cindy, thats a dog whistle. Rubio has already denied the vp spot

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Palin didn’t poison the well. Sheesh. MSNBC, NYTimes, et al, poisoned the well, and threw her in it.

Like her or hate her, that wasn’t on her.

Ca97 on June 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Totally agree. It’s a crappy reality but it’s the one we unfortunately live in.

That makes it all the more important that we play by their garbage rules of engagement. Obama’s mouth wants to whine about hecklers at their events? She ain’t seen nothing yet.

It’s time for an Army of Breitbarts to fight back.

War.

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Don’t you think the bolded part and the italicized part are contradictory?

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Him and the lady who is in charge of the vetting. Didn’t catch her name.

davidk on June 19, 2012 at 6:13 PM

That would be Beth Myers, Romney’s chief of staff when he was governor and his 2008 campaign manager. Her mentor was Karl Rove, since the early 80′s I think – so Portman is probably very much in top spot contention.

DoubleClutchin on June 19, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Scott Walker.

You want to witness a leftist meltdown that would shock the solar system, choose that guy.

Bishop on June 19, 2012 at 4:47 PM

I don’t know if I should believe you or not, because you never tell the truth. You remind me of one of my brothers-in-law who thinks he is cute by deadpanning every damn time you ask him a question.

But I wonder why Scott Walker is not being touted by anyone else.

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM

Romney’s chief of staff when he was governor and his 2008 campaign manager.

Oh wow. Classic romney

Flapjackmaka on June 19, 2012 at 7:50 PM

my dream picks are jindal and paul ryan. guys i can see leading conservatives for years to come. between pawlenty and portman, its a toss up.

therightwinger on June 19, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Yep. That sounds like RINO thinking all right!

tom on June 19, 2012 at 7:56 PM

If Romney is smart he hires Breitbart’s people to vet the
VP candidates.

Romney appears to be squeaky clean, therefore, his running mate
will be given a colonoscopy by the media.

And this nonsense about Palin is pure BS. Palin had (has) a
stellar record. She (or anyone else McCain chose) was not supposed
to light a fire under the repub voters. She did, therefore, she
had to be destroyed by the left, the repub rinos and the media.

Don’t kid yourselves that the repub rinos weren’t involved. One
of the huge mistakes voters make is to not recognize that the
whacked out liberals and the rino repubs are one and the same,
merrily going along to increase their power and money at the
expense of our country.

Amjean on June 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM

One other thing -

I know many mormons and none of the female wives are anything
but stay at home moms. Not a business person or politician in
the bunch.

Could be a result of the mormon culture; could be a coincidence.

Does anyone know about this?

Amjean on June 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

Amjean on June 19, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Yep.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 8:09 PM

Palin is NOT running. Why are those who support her so lathered up?

Seems they think its fair to say whatever they like about anyone from GOP politicians to their fellow posters, but NO ONE is allowed to express ANY thought that isn’t completely in the tank for Palin without getting a lot of flack for it.

Sort of reminds me of the blind devotion and mob mentality engendered on the left for the Unicorn Prince.

thatsafactjack on June 19, 2012 at 5:43 PM

No one is suggesting that Palin is running. Why would you think that?

The Update to this thread mentions Palin in a ridiculous fashion. Why wouldn’t people who admire, respect and take inspiration from her comment on that?

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM

Remarkable how spittled mouthed she makes some folks, isn’t it?

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Buckshot Bill on June 19, 2012 at 6:36 PM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

People like you are just so tedious. You out there starting your Pure Conservative Party? Fighting for any particular person to lead? Sometimes the choices are a crap sandwich and a dirt sandwich. You make the best of it and move on.

I shouldn’t even have to make this argument. I’d love to see the GOP torn up. It certainly won’t be done if Obama’s in office and your arguments make no sense.

I’ll ask you what I asked another one of you fist shakers: What is your solution? Who should we be voting for in this election and what should we be doing in order to preserve our conservative principles *in this election*.

I honestly want to hear what your solution is beyond Romney is a RINO and doody head.

kim roy on June 19, 2012 at 8:40 PM

I know many mormons and none of the female wives are anything
but stay at home moms. Not a business person or politician in
the bunch.

Could be a result of the mormon culture; could be a coincidence.

Does anyone know about this?

Amjean on June 19, 2012 at 8:06 PM

I know about it. The position of Mormon Church is that whenever possible, a mom should stay in the home. However, in instances of financial hardship or necessity there is nothing wrong with it. It is a recommendation, nothing more. My wife works. As far as politics, there is Mia Love. In business, Marie Osmond has a decent empire going. There are a few others. But yeah, for the most part Mormon women will choose to be homemakers if they have kids.

Kataklysmic on June 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Jerry Sanders? No. Exactly No. This guy has done a bigger post-election flop to the left than Ahnuld. He has sustained and expanded Sanctuary policies for illegals, bent over for every LGBT absurdity (claimed to be an epiphany after his daughter came out), and shills for the unions behind closed doors while claiming to fight them. He’s happy to back increased city/county taxes at every turn.

It would get him out of San Diego, and everybody could agree that a VP is mostly harmless regardless of his ideology, but please…

Freelancer on June 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Palin would be an absolutely inspired choice, because it would declare to everyone that Romney was not just going to play it safe, and that he actually cared about getting conservatives to vote for him.

But it will never happen, because Romney is going to play it safe, and is far more concerned about pandering to the moderates.

Besides, Romney has been dismissive of Palin from the beginning. No, you’ll never hear him say it outright. But Romney always does that sort of thing through surrogates. It’s safer, that way.

Jindal is probably the best pick Romney could make. He’s smart, he has a lot of experience already, he’s been a governor, and he’s young. And best of all, he’s not going to overshadow Romney on the campaign trail.

Pawlenty or Portman would both be boring, ultra-safe, and nearly useless choices politically. Therefore, they’re the most likely.

tom on June 19, 2012 at 9:02 PM

Oh, and anyone who tries to claim that Palin cost us the 2008 election is crazy or stupid or both. Or a liberal. But I repeat myself.

tom on June 19, 2012 at 9:04 PM

Who and suddenly I need a nap.
No. And no.

AllahsNippleHair on June 19, 2012 at 9:56 PM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:14 PM

My, that was mature.

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Don’t you think the bolded part and the italicized part are contradictory?

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 7:36 PM

Uh… no? Not in the slightest?

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

With Pawlenty on the ticket they could campaign as Rom Paw and maybe pick up some of the really stoned Ron Paul voters.

Flange on June 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Good one!

Night Owl on June 19, 2012 at 10:02 PM

alwaysfiredup on June 19, 2012 at 6:21 PM

Please, do tell me where I said “never.”

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Freelancer on June 19, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Just trying to generate discussion…not actually suggesting.

steebo77 on June 19, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Bmore, shhh! You might wake the trolls. If Mittoast had any real gonads he’d pick the former VP nominee. But sadly, he is lacking in that department and secondly his ego wouldn’t allow himself to have someone on the ticket that would outshine him. So Mittoast will pick someone even more bland than himself. My vote goes to Pawlenty.

Tarnsman on June 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Tarnsman on June 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Lol! It is something to behold. Funny!

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 10:33 PM

I’d really be up for John Bolton as VP. He’d take the whole dem party apart all on his own.

Bolton is my first choice for VP, by miles.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on June 19, 2012 at 5:11 PM

That’s who I voted for in all the Hot Air Polls during the winter. He needs to be in there somewhere if he isn’t the VP pick. Unless things really change and the VP is given some actual responsibilities, I don’t really see what it matters, except for having a successor down the road maybe. Why have someone really talented if all they do is hang around and break Senate ties if there are any?

Night Owl on June 19, 2012 at 10:48 PM

Uh… no? Not in the slightest?

Red Cloud on June 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM

I guess I don’t understand how if we concede to fight by their rules, we can fight back effectively.

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 10:50 PM

A weak candidate like Rmoney™, cannot afford to pick someone as weak as himself. His being weak however precludes him from picking anyone stronger than himself. Hence these two names are floated as potentials. It is what it is, we will beat 0 either way, not necessarily because of Rmoney™’s strengths . More because of 0′s serious weaknesses.

Bmore on June 19, 2012 at 11:05 PM

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

That’s right.

BoxHead1 on June 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM

Tpaw? I suppose he would do fine, but why not show some guts and tap Alan West? He would generate grassroots enthusiasm (if not outright glee), and throw the Dimbots for a complete loop. And, unlike the McCain machine’s stupid “containment” of Gov. Palin, Romney could cut West loose and let him do what he does best: defend America, without equivocation, while taking it hard to the leftist hoard.

minnesoter on June 20, 2012 at 12:01 AM

cptacek on June 19, 2012 at 7:15 PM

That’s right.

BoxHead1 on June 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM

I agree. I am a Palin supporter. But she bowed out of the running this time around, for her family’s sake. So we carry on, right?

minnesoter on June 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

ddrintn on June 19, 2012 at 6:44 PM

I just wanted to say that I don’t see anything wrong with the position you and others are taking regarding Romney. I think there is nothing wrong with a vocal opposition, in fact I think it helps keep Romney from thinking he has the conservatives wrapped up and he can go as far middle/left as he wants to without repercussions.

I consider myself a chicken, because I am more afraid of another Obama term than I am of Romney, and that is as far as I’m willing to go in support of him, so I pretty much keep quiet about my “reservations” mainly because it’s a done deal and I am not going to stay mad about it.

My hope is that if Romney wins, which I now think he will, Sarah Palin will follow him around like Newt threatened to do to Obama and be the leader in holding his feet to the fire. If that doesn’t work, I hope she will decide to lead a third party effort to primary him in 2016. But for now, I want Obama out of there, as well as all of his marxist cronies.

Night Owl on June 20, 2012 at 12:27 AM

minnesoter on June 20, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Sure. I supported Palin, then Perry, and then Santorum. I’m left with Mitt.

ABO.